|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the first bull become wounded in the fight?
(a) The first bull has his horn ripped out.
(b) The first bull is slammed in the ribs.
(c) The first bull is slammed by the other bull's horn in the shoulder.
(d) The first bull is gored in the hip.
2. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
(a) Jumper is too old to go that far.
(b) It is too much of a rocky climb.
(c) Jumper will be attacked by a bear.
(d) Jumper is afraid of gunfire and he will scare away the game.
3. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
(a) He pulls Jumper by the reins.
(b) He kicks Jumper in the rump.
(c) He lures Jumper back to the field with an apple.
(d) He hits Jumper across the jaw with a club.
4. How does the bull fight finally end?
(a) Travis shoots at them.
(b) The old bull is killed.
(c) The bulls give up and stagger away with their wounds.
(d) One of the bulls falls in the cart and it rolls down the hill.
5. What does Travis think about as he and Old Yeller lie out under the stars?
(a) He thinks about what a wonderful dog Old Yeller is.
(b) He wonders if his father can see the same stars in Kansas.
(c) He thinks about the day when he will have a ranch of his own.
(d) He thinks about how lucky he is to have a brother like Little Arliss.
6. What does Sanderson tell Travis about the plague of hydrophobia?
(a) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two coons that had it.
(b) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two wolves, a fox, and one skunk that had it.
(c) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two fox that had it.
(d) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two dogs that had it.
7. What does Travis discover as he reaches the cabin?
(a) Arliss and the yeller dog are sharing a piece of meat.
(b) Arliss and the yeller dog are in the drinking water.
(c) Arliss and the yeller dog are sleeping in the hay.
(d) Arliss and the yeller dog are playing ball.
8. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot at a running deer?
(a) He knows he can't make the shot.
(b) His rifle isn't accurate enough to make the shot.
(c) He doesn't want to scare the animals into a stampede.
(d) He is afraid that he will only wound it.
9. What is Old Yeller's reaction to the bear attack once they are all back in the cabin?
(a) He is licking Little Arliss.
(b) He is crying with pain.
(c) He acts like the bear attack was great fun.
(d) He is trembling in the corner.
10. What disease does Bud Searcy hope does not spread throughout the settlement before the men get back?
(c) Small Pox.
11. What is the color of the two bulls?
(a) One of the bulls is a red roan and the other is black.
(b) One of the bulls is a mustard color and the other is black.
(c) One of the bulls is a mustard color and the other is a red roan.
(d) One of the bulls is black and the other is gray with spots.
12. What does Mama make with lye water and hog fat?
(a) Bug repellant.
(c) Antiseptic cream.
13. What does Travis do to try to prevent Old Yeller from roaming at night?
(a) He chains him to a post.
(b) He tries tying him with rope and rawhide string.
(c) He locks him in the hen house.
(d) He puts him in the barn.
14. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
(a) He is hanging the meat.
(b) He is splitting logs.
(c) He is fishing.
(d) He is hunting.
15. Why had Papa cleared out all the brush and trees from around the cabin?
(a) He cleared the brush to get a clear shot at Comanches and Apaches.
(b) He cleared the brush to cut down on the bugs.
(c) He cleared the brush in case of a fire.
(d) He cleared the brush so Mama could plant roses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Little Arliss want to keep Old Yeller?
2. What is Little Arliss' reaction to Old Yeller?
3. What keeps Travis and Old Yeller busy all night long?
4. What are the best times to go to the Salt Licks to hunt?
5. Why is Travis' father leaving the family for months?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)