|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis do to try and drive the bulls away from the cabin?
(a) He tosses boiling water at them.
(b) He throws rocks at them.
(c) He chases them with a pitch fork.
(d) He goes after them with a bull whip.
2. Why is Travis concerned about being the man of the family?
(a) He doesn't feel confident enough.
(b) He just wants to be a boy.
(c) He is concerned because no one listens to what he says or thinks.
(d) He is afraid to take on the responsibility.
3. What does Mama wrap Little Arliss' hands in when he is finned by a fish?
(a) A cloth with iodine.
(b) A poultice of wet mud.
(c) A bandage of bear fat.
(d) A poultice of prickly pear root.
4. What does Travis notice about Old Yeller when he first sees the dog?
(a) The dog is injured.
(b) The dog is starving.
(c) The dog is lame.
(d) The dog is fat.
5. What is Old Yeller's reaction when he is sprayed by a skunk?
(a) He snorts, drools, and vomits.
(b) It doesn't seem to bother him.
(c) He rolls in the dirt, and then jumps in the pond.
(d) He digs a deep hole and lays in it.
6. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
(a) He is fishing.
(b) He is hunting.
(c) He is splitting logs.
(d) He is hanging the meat.
7. What does Travis do to try to prevent Old Yeller from roaming at night?
(a) He tries tying him with rope and rawhide string.
(b) He puts him in the barn.
(c) He chains him to a post.
(d) He locks him in the hen house.
8. Why had Papa cleared out all the brush and trees from around the cabin?
(a) He cleared the brush so Mama could plant roses.
(b) He cleared the brush to get a clear shot at Comanches and Apaches.
(c) He cleared the brush in case of a fire.
(d) He cleared the brush to cut down on the bugs.
9. What does Mama say about Old Yeller?
(a) She says that the dog needs some food.
(b) She says that the dog has to go.
(c) She says that the dog is sick.
(d) She says that the dog can stay.
10. What does Burn Sanderson tell Mama about Old Yeller?
(a) He is obedient and submissive.
(b) He is He is the best sheep dog that was ever born.
(c) He is the best cow dog that was ever born.
(d) He is no good with cows.
11. What does Arliss do when Travis yells at him?
(a) Arliss runs after Travis and kicks him.
(b) Arliss runs away and hides.
(c) Arliss sics the yeller dog on Travis.
(d) Arliss throws a rock at Travis.
12. What is the trade that Sanderson and Little Arliss agree upon?
(a) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a pair of Papa's boots.
(b) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a sack of corn meal.
(c) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for the mule, Jumper.
(d) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a home cooked meal.
13. What is the first suggestion Sanderson gives to Mama about keeping Old Yeller?
(a) He suggests that she pay him with the milk cow to keep Old Yeller.
(b) He suggests that the dog stays with them until Papa comes back.
(c) He offers to give her a puppy instead of Old Yeller.
(d) He suggests that she take the boys inside while he grabs Old Yeller.
14. What advice does Sanderson give to Travis about when to shoot an animal with hydrophobia?
(a) Shoot any animal he comes across until the hydrophobia is gone.
(b) Shoot only wild animals, not pets.
(c) Shoot the animal after it tries to bite.
(d) Shoot anything that is acting unnatural.
15. Who saves Little Arliss from the attacking bear?
(a) Old Yeller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Travis does when he reaches the Salt Licks?
2. What do the Mexicans call a bull with a horn that hangs down past his jaw?
3. What does Travis' mother instruct him to do while he is doing his chores?
4. Why is Travis' father leaving the family for months?
5. What does Travis think about Searcy's granddaughter, Lisbeth?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)