|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama ask Travis to do after he milks the cows?
(a) Kill a doe for meat.
(b) Read the Bible.
(c) Get Little Arliss ready for bed.
(d) Feed the dog.
2. What changes Travis' mind about keeping the yeller dog as he rides to the cabin?
(a) He likes the yeller dog after all.
(b) He knows Arliss really wants the dog.
(c) He feels proud of himself and figures he can put up with the dog.
(d) He feels sorry for the starving yeller dog.
3. What news does Searcy bring to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama?
(a) He tells them that the men will be home in a few days.
(b) He tells them that the cows are going dry and the gardens are failing around the settlement.
(c) He tells them that Rosal shot a fox.
(d) He tells them that Jed Simpson shot a turkey.
4. What is the first thing Travis does when he reaches the Salt Licks?
(a) He determines which way the wind is blowing.
(b) He climbs a tree and watches for deer.
(c) He checks for deer prints in the mud.
(d) He sits with the wind blowing across his back.
5. What does Travis think about Searcy's granddaughter, Lisbeth?
(a) Travis thinks she is bossy.
(b) Travis likes her because she is different than most girls.
(c) Travis thinks she is strange.
(d) Travis thinks she is annoying.
6. What does Mama make with lye water and hog fat?
(a) Bug repellant.
(d) Antiseptic cream.
7. How does Little Arliss take Travis by surprise?
(a) Little Arliss punches him in the stomach.
(b) Little Arliss kicks him in the shin.
(c) Little Arliss wrestles him to the ground.
(d) Little Arliss attacks him with a battling stick.
8. Why does Little Arliss cry when his father goes away?
(a) He will miss his father.
(b) He wants to go too.
(c) He just got stung by a bee.
(d) He doesn't want to stay with his mother.
9. Why is it hard for a dog to fight with a boar coon?
(a) The boar coon usually hides in thorn bushes.
(b) The boar coon fights with the courage of an animal five times its size.
(c) The boar coon is smarter than any dog.
(d) The boar coon is fast and agile.
10. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
(a) At the cabin window.
(b) On the grassy knoll.
(c) On the split-rail fence.
(d) On the cabin steps.
11. How does Travis' dog, Bell, die?
(a) The dog is mauled by a bear.
(b) The dog dies of old age.
(c) The dog is bitten by a rattle snake.
(d) The dog falls into a raging river.
12. Why does the mother bear come running to attack Little Arliss?
(a) Arliss wandered into her den.
(b) Arliss threw a rock at her.
(c) Arliss threw a rock at her cub.
(d) Arliss is holding her bear cub by the leg.
13. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot a javelina hog?
(a) When one javelina hog gets shot, the whole bunch will attack.
(b) They are not big enough to feed the family.
(c) They are no good for eating.
(d) He thinks they are funny little creatures.
14. What does Old Yeller do when he hears the bulls start to fight?
(a) He hides behind Arliss.
(b) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
(c) He runs away into the hills.
(d) He charges at them, trying to chase them away.
15. What does Mama say about Old Yeller?
(a) She says that the dog can stay.
(b) She says that the dog needs some food.
(c) She says that the dog has to go.
(d) She says that the dog is sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a strange varmit stealing from the people in the settlement?
2. What is the color of the two bulls?
3. What news does Lisbeth tell Travis about her dog, Miss Prissy?
4. What does Arliss do when Travis yells at him?
5. What is Old Yeller's reaction to the bear attack once they are all back in the cabin?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)