|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
(a) On the split-rail fence.
(b) At the cabin window.
(c) On the cabin steps.
(d) On the grassy knoll.
2. What does Travis decide to do about Old Yeller?
(a) Teach him to hunt.
(b) Obedience train him.
(c) Make friends with him.
(d) Find a way to get rid of him.
3. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
(a) Jumper is afraid of gunfire and he will scare away the game.
(b) Jumper will be attacked by a bear.
(c) Jumper is too old to go that far.
(d) It is too much of a rocky climb.
4. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
(a) Hungry babies.
(b) Comanches scalping him.
(c) Squealing pigs.
(d) Wild boars.
5. What does Travis ask his father for before he leaves?
(a) A horse.
(b) A Bowie knife.
(c) A dog.
(d) A new rifle.
6. What does Travis notice about Old Yeller when he first sees the dog?
(a) The dog is starving.
(b) The dog is injured.
(c) The dog is fat.
(d) The dog is lame.
7. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
(a) He is fishing.
(b) He is splitting logs.
(c) He is hunting.
(d) He is hanging the meat.
8. How does Travis get Spot to settle down so he can milk her?
(a) He ties her head and feet.
(b) He puts her into a narrow pen.
(c) He blindfolds her.
(d) He has Old Yeller stand near her.
9. What sound do the bulls make that are looking for a fight outside the family's cabin?
(a) They quietly moan.
(b) They raise their voices in a wild, brassy blare.
(c) They snort quietly.
(d) They squeal like pigs.
10. Who comes to the cabin two weeks after the milking incident?
(a) Bud Searcy.
(c) A man comes to claim Old Yeller.
(d) Jed Simpson.
11. What does Travis do as the doe keeps approaching him?
(a) He raises his gun but doesn't shoot.
(b) He raises his gun and shoots.
(c) He falls out of the tree.
(d) He backs up.
12. What is a strange varmit stealing from the people in the settlement?
(b) Flour and eggs.
(c) Meat, eggs, and cornbread.
13. How does the bull fight finally end?
(a) Travis shoots at them.
(b) The bulls give up and stagger away with their wounds.
(c) The old bull is killed.
(d) One of the bulls falls in the cart and it rolls down the hill.
14. How does Travis know that Little Arliss is in trouble?
(a) Arliss is screaming for Travis which is unusual.
(b) Arliss' screams are loud, shrill, and frantic.
(c) Arliss is screaming about the yeller dog.
(d) Arliss is crying which he never usually does.
15. What is the first suggestion Sanderson gives to Mama about keeping Old Yeller?
(a) He suggests that she take the boys inside while he grabs Old Yeller.
(b) He suggests that she pay him with the milk cow to keep Old Yeller.
(c) He offers to give her a puppy instead of Old Yeller.
(d) He suggests that the dog stays with them until Papa comes back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do to keep the heifer from charging at Travis?
2. What does Travis discover when he opens the dog run door where the meat is stored?
3. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot at a running deer?
4. What does Mama ask Travis to do after he milks the cows?
5. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)