|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Sanderson give to Travis about when to shoot an animal with hydrophobia?
(a) Shoot the animal after it tries to bite.
(b) Shoot any animal he comes across until the hydrophobia is gone.
(c) Shoot only wild animals, not pets.
(d) Shoot anything that is acting unnatural.
2. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
(a) The wild snarl of a mountain lion.
(b) The whimpering of a bear cub.
(c) The coughing roar of a charging bear.
(d) The sound of a dog dying.
3. How does Travis get Spot to settle down so he can milk her?
(a) He puts her into a narrow pen.
(b) He blindfolds her.
(c) He has Old Yeller stand near her.
(d) He ties her head and feet.
4. Who named Birdsong Creek?
(a) Little Arliss.
(d) The settlers.
5. What is Travis' reaction to Old Yeller when the dog approaches him?
(a) Travis screams at him.
(b) Travis kicked at him as hard as he could.
(c) Travis backs away.
(d) Travis whispers to Old Yeller.
6. What does Travis think about as he and Old Yeller lie out under the stars?
(a) He thinks about the day when he will have a ranch of his own.
(b) He thinks about how lucky he is to have a brother like Little Arliss.
(c) He wonders if his father can see the same stars in Kansas.
(d) He thinks about what a wonderful dog Old Yeller is.
7. What does Travis discover when he opens the dog run door where the meat is stored?
(a) A wolf is eating the meat.
(b) The meat is gone.
(c) Little Arliss is hanging from the meat.
(d) The meat is rotten.
8. What kind of man is Burn Sanderson?
(a) He is rough and crude.
(b) He is young and rude.
(c) He is old and haggard.
(d) He is young, nice, and polite.
9. What does Travis do to try and drive the bulls away from the cabin?
(a) He tosses boiling water at them.
(b) He chases them with a pitch fork.
(c) He throws rocks at them.
(d) He goes after them with a bull whip.
10. What is Mama's reaction to Sanderson's first suggestion?
(a) She is insulted by the suggestion.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She refuses.
(d) She accepts it.
11. Why is it hard for a dog to fight with a boar coon?
(a) The boar coon is smarter than any dog.
(b) The boar coon usually hides in thorn bushes.
(c) The boar coon fights with the courage of an animal five times its size.
(d) The boar coon is fast and agile.
12. Why do the hogs, cattle, and wild animals come to the Salt Licks?
(a) They eat the berries growing there.
(b) It has thick brambles where the animals hide.
(c) They lick the salt.
(d) They drink from the pond that is there.
13. What is the first suggestion Sanderson gives to Mama about keeping Old Yeller?
(a) He suggests that she take the boys inside while he grabs Old Yeller.
(b) He suggests that the dog stays with them until Papa comes back.
(c) He suggests that she pay him with the milk cow to keep Old Yeller.
(d) He offers to give her a puppy instead of Old Yeller.
14. What news does Lisbeth tell Travis about her dog, Miss Prissy?
(a) Miss Prissy won first prize in at the fair.
(b) Miss Prissy is sick and dying.
(c) Miss Prissy is going to have Old Yeller's puppies.
(d) Miss Prissy is a purebread fox hound.
15. What does Travis do to try to prevent Old Yeller from roaming at night?
(a) He chains him to a post.
(b) He locks him in the hen house.
(c) He tries tying him with rope and rawhide string.
(d) He puts him in the barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a strange varmit stealing from the people in the settlement?
2. What does Little Arliss do to Sanderson?
3. How does Travis' dog, Bell, die?
4. What is Old Yeller's reaction to the bear attack once they are all back in the cabin?
5. What is the solution Travis comes up with that finally keeps Old Yeller at home during the night?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)