|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do when he hears the bulls start to fight?
(a) He runs away into the hills.
(b) He charges at them, trying to chase them away.
(c) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
(d) He hides behind Arliss.
2. What is the solution Travis comes up with that finally keeps Old Yeller at home during the night?
(a) He locks Old Yeller in the corncrib.
(b) He builds a cage to keep Old Yeller in.
(c) He locks Old Yeller in the storm cellar.
(d) Old Yeller sleeps with Travis and Little Arliss.
3. How many cows does Travis have to milk to get enough for the family?
(a) Five or six.
4. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
(a) He lures Jumper back to the field with an apple.
(b) He hits Jumper across the jaw with a club.
(c) He pulls Jumper by the reins.
(d) He kicks Jumper in the rump.
5. What does Mama wrap Little Arliss' hands in when he is finned by a fish?
(a) A poultice of wet mud.
(b) A cloth with iodine.
(c) A poultice of prickly pear root.
(d) A bandage of bear fat.
6. What are the symptoms of hydrophobia?
(a) Swollen eyes and vomiting.
(b) Watery eyes and lethargy.
(c) Limping and vomiting.
(d) Foaming at the mouth and blind staggers.
7. Who named Birdsong Creek?
(b) The settlers.
(c) Little Arliss.
8. Why does Sanderson get off his horse and approach Little Arliss?
(a) He slaps Little Arliss for his temper tantrum.
(b) He tells Little Arliss he is acting like a baby.
(c) He asks Little Arliss if he wants a puppy instead.
(d) He asks Little Arliss if he wants to keep the dog.
9. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
(a) Jumper is afraid of gunfire and he will scare away the game.
(b) It is too much of a rocky climb.
(c) Jumper is too old to go that far.
(d) Jumper will be attacked by a bear.
10. What is the first suggestion Sanderson gives to Mama about keeping Old Yeller?
(a) He suggests that she pay him with the milk cow to keep Old Yeller.
(b) He suggests that she take the boys inside while he grabs Old Yeller.
(c) He suggests that the dog stays with them until Papa comes back.
(d) He offers to give her a puppy instead of Old Yeller.
11. What does Travis think about Old Yeller?
(a) He thinks the dog is a purebred.
(b) He thinks the dog is smart but he doesn't want him.
(c) He thinks the dog is vicious.
(d) He thinks the dog is stupid.
12. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
(a) Ranch hands.
13. What keeps Travis and Old Yeller busy all night long?
(a) Chasing a coyote away from the hen house.
(b) Preventing a cougar from attacking the sheep.
(c) Chasing away coons, skunks, and coyotes from the garden.
(d) Keeping a bear away from the cabin.
14. What is Little Arliss' reaction to Old Yeller?
(a) He yells at the dog to go away.
(b) He falls on the dog and pets him.
(c) He feeds the dog his breakfast.
(d) He is afraid of the dog.
15. How does Travis react to the pending bull fight?
(a) He blocks his ears from the sound of the bulls.
(b) He is excited and wants to see it.
(c) He feels bad for the bulls.
(d) He can't watch because it sickens him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama make Arliss take out of his pockets before he goes to bed?
2. Who comes to the cabin two weeks after the milking incident?
3. What does Travis discover when he opens the dog run door where the meat is stored?
4. What does Mama ask Travis to do after he milks the cows?
5. Why is it hard for a dog to fight with a boar coon?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)