|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis think about Searcy's granddaughter, Lisbeth?
(a) Travis thinks she is strange.
(b) Travis thinks she is bossy.
(c) Travis likes her because she is different than most girls.
(d) Travis thinks she is annoying.
2. Who named Birdsong Creek?
(c) Little Arliss.
(d) The settlers.
3. How does Little Arliss act when Travis takes him squirrel hunting?
(a) Arliss turns out to be a good hunter.
(b) Arliss is noisy and pesky.
(c) Arliss is talented at tracking game.
(d) Arliss is as quiet as a mouse.
4. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
(a) He pulls Jumper by the reins.
(b) He lures Jumper back to the field with an apple.
(c) He hits Jumper across the jaw with a club.
(d) He kicks Jumper in the rump.
5. What does Burn Sanderson tell Mama about Old Yeller?
(a) He is He is the best sheep dog that was ever born.
(b) He is the best cow dog that was ever born.
(c) He is obedient and submissive.
(d) He is no good with cows.
6. How does Little Arliss take Travis by surprise?
(a) Little Arliss kicks him in the shin.
(b) Little Arliss attacks him with a battling stick.
(c) Little Arliss wrestles him to the ground.
(d) Little Arliss punches him in the stomach.
7. What is the trade that Sanderson and Little Arliss agree upon?
(a) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a home cooked meal.
(b) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for the mule, Jumper.
(c) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a sack of corn meal.
(d) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a pair of Papa's boots.
8. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
(a) It is too much of a rocky climb.
(b) Jumper will be attacked by a bear.
(c) Jumper is afraid of gunfire and he will scare away the game.
(d) Jumper is too old to go that far.
9. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
(d) Ranch hands.
10. Why is it hard for a dog to fight with a boar coon?
(a) The boar coon is fast and agile.
(b) The boar coon usually hides in thorn bushes.
(c) The boar coon is smarter than any dog.
(d) The boar coon fights with the courage of an animal five times its size.
11. What is Little Arliss' reaction when they get back to the cabin?
(a) He is angry that Travis pulled the cub away.
(b) He is shaking all over and clinging to Mama.
(c) He is angry at the bear.
(d) He passes out from fear.
12. Why had Papa cleared out all the brush and trees from around the cabin?
(a) He cleared the brush to cut down on the bugs.
(b) He cleared the brush to get a clear shot at Comanches and Apaches.
(c) He cleared the brush so Mama could plant roses.
(d) He cleared the brush in case of a fire.
13. What kind of man is Burn Sanderson?
(a) He is young and rude.
(b) He is young, nice, and polite.
(c) He is rough and crude.
(d) He is old and haggard.
14. What does Travis ask his father for before he leaves?
(a) A new rifle.
(b) A dog.
(c) A Bowie knife.
(d) A horse.
15. What warns the doe that Travis is nearby?
(a) He scratches his ear.
(b) He laughs at a squirrel.
(c) He stretches out his leg.
(d) He sneezes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Travis begin to love Old Yeller?
2. Why does Travis think the new, spotted heifer calf will make a good milking cow?
3. Why is Travis' father leaving the family for months?
4. What does Mama say about Old Yeller?
5. How many cows does Travis have to milk to get enough for the family?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)