|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
(a) Jumper is too old to go that far.
(b) Jumper will be attacked by a bear.
(c) Jumper is afraid of gunfire and he will scare away the game.
(d) It is too much of a rocky climb.
2. How does Travis show his love for Old Yeller?
(a) He brushes the dog every day.
(b) He bathes him, pulls thorns from his paw, burns ticks off, and lets him sleep with him.
(c) He gives Old Yeller his share of the meat.
(d) He brings Old Yeller for long walks.
3. What does Travis think about as he and Old Yeller lie out under the stars?
(a) He thinks about what a wonderful dog Old Yeller is.
(b) He thinks about how lucky he is to have a brother like Little Arliss.
(c) He thinks about the day when he will have a ranch of his own.
(d) He wonders if his father can see the same stars in Kansas.
4. How does Travis get Spot to settle down so he can milk her?
(a) He blindfolds her.
(b) He ties her head and feet.
(c) He has Old Yeller stand near her.
(d) He puts her into a narrow pen.
5. What does Travis think about Searcy's granddaughter, Lisbeth?
(a) Travis thinks she is strange.
(b) Travis thinks she is annoying.
(c) Travis thinks she is bossy.
(d) Travis likes her because she is different than most girls.
6. What does Travis think about Old Yeller?
(a) He thinks the dog is vicious.
(b) He thinks the dog is smart but he doesn't want him.
(c) He thinks the dog is stupid.
(d) He thinks the dog is a purebred.
7. Why is it hard for a dog to fight with a boar coon?
(a) The boar coon is smarter than any dog.
(b) The boar coon usually hides in thorn bushes.
(c) The boar coon fights with the courage of an animal five times its size.
(d) The boar coon is fast and agile.
8. What does Travis do to try and drive the bulls away from the cabin?
(a) He goes after them with a bull whip.
(b) He chases them with a pitch fork.
(c) He tosses boiling water at them.
(d) He throws rocks at them.
9. What news does Searcy bring to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama?
(a) He tells them that Rosal shot a fox.
(b) He tells them that the cows are going dry and the gardens are failing around the settlement.
(c) He tells them that the men will be home in a few days.
(d) He tells them that Jed Simpson shot a turkey.
10. What is the first suggestion Sanderson gives to Mama about keeping Old Yeller?
(a) He suggests that the dog stays with them until Papa comes back.
(b) He suggests that she pay him with the milk cow to keep Old Yeller.
(c) He offers to give her a puppy instead of Old Yeller.
(d) He suggests that she take the boys inside while he grabs Old Yeller.
11. What is Little Arliss' reaction when they get back to the cabin?
(a) He is angry that Travis pulled the cub away.
(b) He passes out from fear.
(c) He is shaking all over and clinging to Mama.
(d) He is angry at the bear.
12. How does Travis' family come to get Old Yeller?
(a) They buy him from a neighbor.
(b) They win the dog at the country fair.
(c) The dog wanders to their cabin.
(d) A friend gives the dog as a gift.
13. What does Mama make with lye water and hog fat?
(a) Antiseptic cream.
(b) Bug repellant.
14. What kind of man is Burn Sanderson?
(a) He is rough and crude.
(b) He is young and rude.
(c) He is young, nice, and polite.
(d) He is old and haggard.
15. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
(a) On the cabin steps.
(b) On the split-rail fence.
(c) On the grassy knoll.
(d) At the cabin window.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Travis react to the pending bull fight?
2. What does Travis' father ask him to do while he is away?
3. How many cows does Travis have to milk to get enough for the family?
4. When does Travis begin to love Old Yeller?
5. What does Travis discover as he reaches the cabin?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)