|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
(a) He is splitting logs.
(b) He is fishing.
(c) He is hunting.
(d) He is hanging the meat.
2. Why does Little Arliss cry when his father goes away?
(a) He just got stung by a bee.
(b) He will miss his father.
(c) He wants to go too.
(d) He doesn't want to stay with his mother.
3. How does Little Arliss take Travis by surprise?
(a) Little Arliss punches him in the stomach.
(b) Little Arliss kicks him in the shin.
(c) Little Arliss attacks him with a battling stick.
(d) Little Arliss wrestles him to the ground.
4. What does Travis think about Old Yeller?
(a) He thinks the dog is smart but he doesn't want him.
(b) He thinks the dog is a purebred.
(c) He thinks the dog is stupid.
(d) He thinks the dog is vicious.
5. How does Travis finally shoot the turkey that he wounded in the pea garden?
(a) Little Arliss throws a stone at the turkey, knocking it down and Travis shoots it.
(b) The turkey runs in circles in the peas and Travis shoots it.
(c) The turkey is slow because it is wounded and Travis is able to shoot it.
(d) Old Yeller tracks down the turkey and trees it, so Travis can shoot it.
6. What is the solution Travis comes up with that finally keeps Old Yeller at home during the night?
(a) He locks Old Yeller in the corncrib.
(b) Old Yeller sleeps with Travis and Little Arliss.
(c) He locks Old Yeller in the storm cellar.
(d) He builds a cage to keep Old Yeller in.
7. Why does the mother bear come running to attack Little Arliss?
(a) Arliss wandered into her den.
(b) Arliss threw a rock at her cub.
(c) Arliss is holding her bear cub by the leg.
(d) Arliss threw a rock at her.
8. What does Travis think about Searcy's granddaughter, Lisbeth?
(a) Travis thinks she is strange.
(b) Travis thinks she is annoying.
(c) Travis likes her because she is different than most girls.
(d) Travis thinks she is bossy.
9. What does Mama make with lye water and hog fat?
(a) Bug repellant.
(c) Antiseptic cream.
10. What is the trade that Sanderson and Little Arliss agree upon?
(a) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a pair of Papa's boots.
(b) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a home cooked meal.
(c) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a sack of corn meal.
(d) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for the mule, Jumper.
11. Who named Birdsong Creek?
(a) The settlers.
(c) Little Arliss.
12. What does Travis do as the doe keeps approaching him?
(a) He backs up.
(b) He falls out of the tree.
(c) He raises his gun and shoots.
(d) He raises his gun but doesn't shoot.
13. How does Travis show his love for Old Yeller?
(a) He brushes the dog every day.
(b) He bathes him, pulls thorns from his paw, burns ticks off, and lets him sleep with him.
(c) He brings Old Yeller for long walks.
(d) He gives Old Yeller his share of the meat.
14. What does Mama say about Old Yeller?
(a) She says that the dog has to go.
(b) She says that the dog can stay.
(c) She says that the dog needs some food.
(d) She says that the dog is sick.
15. What is a strange varmit stealing from the people in the settlement?
(c) Flour and eggs.
(d) Meat, eggs, and cornbread.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Travis concerned about being the man of the family?
2. What does Old Yeller do to keep the heifer from charging at Travis?
3. What does Travis decide to do about Old Yeller?
4. What does Old Yeller do when Travis sic's him on the bulls?
5. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)