|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do when the bear slaps him head over heels?
(a) He crawls away.
(b) He charges again.
(c) He lies on the ground.
(d) He staggers into the bushes.
2. Who comes to the cabin two weeks after the milking incident?
(a) Bud Searcy.
(b) A man comes to claim Old Yeller.
(d) Jed Simpson.
3. Why does Travis run off when the trade is made between Arliss and Sanderson?
(a) Travis is angry that the trade is made with Arliss and not him.
(b) Travis wants a puppy.
(c) Travis doesn't want to spend any time with Sanderson.
(d) Travis doesn't want Sanderson to see him cry.
4. What does Travis do as the doe keeps approaching him?
(a) He raises his gun and shoots.
(b) He raises his gun but doesn't shoot.
(c) He backs up.
(d) He falls out of the tree.
5. How does Travis get Spot to settle down so he can milk her?
(a) He puts her into a narrow pen.
(b) He blindfolds her.
(c) He has Old Yeller stand near her.
(d) He ties her head and feet.
6. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
(a) Comanches scalping him.
(b) Squealing pigs.
(c) Wild boars.
(d) Hungry babies.
7. What does Burn Sanderson tell Mama about Old Yeller?
(a) He is obedient and submissive.
(b) He is no good with cows.
(c) He is He is the best sheep dog that was ever born.
(d) He is the best cow dog that was ever born.
8. What does Mama make Arliss take out of his pockets before he goes to bed?
(a) His tree frog.
(b) Grasshoppers, worms, bugs, and lizards.
(c) His rock collection.
(d) His pennies.
9. What are the best times to go to the Salt Licks to hunt?
(a) Mid-afternoon and sunset.
(b) Early morning and late evening.
(c) Early morning and mid-afternoon.
(d) Mid-afternoon and late evening.
10. How does the first bull become wounded in the fight?
(a) The first bull is slammed in the ribs.
(b) The first bull is slammed by the other bull's horn in the shoulder.
(c) The first bull is gored in the hip.
(d) The first bull has his horn ripped out.
11. How does Little Arliss take Travis by surprise?
(a) Little Arliss kicks him in the shin.
(b) Little Arliss wrestles him to the ground.
(c) Little Arliss attacks him with a battling stick.
(d) Little Arliss punches him in the stomach.
12. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
(a) He is splitting logs.
(b) He is fishing.
(c) He is hanging the meat.
(d) He is hunting.
13. Why is Travis concerned about being the man of the family?
(a) He doesn't feel confident enough.
(b) He just wants to be a boy.
(c) He is concerned because no one listens to what he says or thinks.
(d) He is afraid to take on the responsibility.
14. What is the trade that Sanderson and Little Arliss agree upon?
(a) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a pair of Papa's boots.
(b) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a sack of corn meal.
(c) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for the mule, Jumper.
(d) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a home cooked meal.
15. What does Mama ask Travis to do after he milks the cows?
(a) Get Little Arliss ready for bed.
(b) Feed the dog.
(c) Read the Bible.
(d) Kill a doe for meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Travis discover when he opens the dog run door where the meat is stored?
2. What does Travis do to try to prevent Old Yeller from roaming at night?
3. Why had Papa cleared out all the brush and trees from around the cabin?
4. What does Mama say about Old Yeller?
5. Why does Travis think the new, spotted heifer calf will make a good milking cow?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)