|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes Travis' mind about keeping the yeller dog as he rides to the cabin?
(a) He knows Arliss really wants the dog.
(b) He likes the yeller dog after all.
(c) He feels proud of himself and figures he can put up with the dog.
(d) He feels sorry for the starving yeller dog.
2. What does Mama wrap Little Arliss' hands in when he is finned by a fish?
(a) A poultice of prickly pear root.
(b) A bandage of bear fat.
(c) A cloth with iodine.
(d) A poultice of wet mud.
3. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
(a) Squealing pigs.
(b) Hungry babies.
(c) Comanches scalping him.
(d) Wild boars.
4. How does Travis' family come to get Old Yeller?
(a) The dog wanders to their cabin.
(b) They win the dog at the country fair.
(c) A friend gives the dog as a gift.
(d) They buy him from a neighbor.
5. When does Travis begin to love Old Yeller?
(a) He begins to love the dog when the dog crawls into his bed.
(b) He begins to love the dog after the bear attack.
(c) He begins to love the dog when the dog gets sick.
(d) He begins to love the dog when Arliss asks him to.
6. Why is Travis concerned about being the man of the family?
(a) He is concerned because no one listens to what he says or thinks.
(b) He is afraid to take on the responsibility.
(c) He just wants to be a boy.
(d) He doesn't feel confident enough.
7. Why does the mother bear come running to attack Little Arliss?
(a) Arliss is holding her bear cub by the leg.
(b) Arliss threw a rock at her.
(c) Arliss wandered into her den.
(d) Arliss threw a rock at her cub.
8. What is the first thing Travis does when he reaches the Salt Licks?
(a) He determines which way the wind is blowing.
(b) He climbs a tree and watches for deer.
(c) He checks for deer prints in the mud.
(d) He sits with the wind blowing across his back.
9. What does Arliss start catching after Old Yeller arrives?
(a) Copperhead snakes.
(b) Possum and skunks.
(c) Rabbits, birds, possum, and other small game.
(d) Rabbits, moles, and mice.
10. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot at a running deer?
(a) He is afraid that he will only wound it.
(b) He doesn't want to scare the animals into a stampede.
(c) He knows he can't make the shot.
(d) His rifle isn't accurate enough to make the shot.
11. What is Old Yeller's reaction to the bear attack once they are all back in the cabin?
(a) He is crying with pain.
(b) He is licking Little Arliss.
(c) He acts like the bear attack was great fun.
(d) He is trembling in the corner.
12. How does Travis react to the news about hydrophobia?
(a) He is scared and mixed up about the danger.
(b) He doesn't think it is anything to be concerned about.
(c) He thinks Sanderson is lying about it.
(d) He thinks Sanderson is overreacting.
13. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
(a) He is fishing.
(b) He is hanging the meat.
(c) He is hunting.
(d) He is splitting logs.
14. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
(a) It is too much of a rocky climb.
(b) Jumper is too old to go that far.
(c) Jumper is afraid of gunfire and he will scare away the game.
(d) Jumper will be attacked by a bear.
15. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
(b) Ranch hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Travis get Spot to settle down so he can milk her?
2. Why do the hogs, cattle, and wild animals come to the Salt Licks?
3. What does Sanderson tell Travis about the plague of hydrophobia?
4. What do the Mexicans call a bull with a horn that hangs down past his jaw?
5. Why is Bud Searcy left behind when all the men drive the cattle to Abilene?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)