|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Travis decide to do about Old Yeller?
(a) Find a way to get rid of him.
(b) Make friends with him.
(c) Obedience train him.
(d) Teach him to hunt.
2. What disease does Bud Searcy hope does not spread throughout the settlement before the men get back?
(c) Small Pox.
3. What does Sanderson tell Travis about the plague of hydrophobia?
(a) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two dogs that had it.
(b) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two fox that had it.
(c) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two coons that had it.
(d) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two wolves, a fox, and one skunk that had it.
4. How does Travis get Spot to settle down so he can milk her?
(a) He has Old Yeller stand near her.
(b) He blindfolds her.
(c) He puts her into a narrow pen.
(d) He ties her head and feet.
5. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
(a) He is hunting.
(b) He is splitting logs.
(c) He is fishing.
(d) He is hanging the meat.
6. How does Little Arliss take Travis by surprise?
(a) Little Arliss attacks him with a battling stick.
(b) Little Arliss punches him in the stomach.
(c) Little Arliss wrestles him to the ground.
(d) Little Arliss kicks him in the shin.
7. What does Travis think about Old Yeller?
(a) He thinks the dog is smart but he doesn't want him.
(b) He thinks the dog is a purebred.
(c) He thinks the dog is stupid.
(d) He thinks the dog is vicious.
8. What does Travis ask his father for before he leaves?
(a) A horse.
(b) A dog.
(c) A Bowie knife.
(d) A new rifle.
9. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
(a) On the grassy knoll.
(b) On the cabin steps.
(c) On the split-rail fence.
(d) At the cabin window.
10. How many cows does Travis have to milk to get enough for the family?
(b) Five or six.
11. Who saves Little Arliss from the attacking bear?
(d) Old Yeller.
12. Why is it hard for a dog to fight with a boar coon?
(a) The boar coon usually hides in thorn bushes.
(b) The boar coon is fast and agile.
(c) The boar coon is smarter than any dog.
(d) The boar coon fights with the courage of an animal five times its size.
13. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
(a) The sound of a dog dying.
(b) The coughing roar of a charging bear.
(c) The whimpering of a bear cub.
(d) The wild snarl of a mountain lion.
14. What does Old Yeller do when the bear slaps him head over heels?
(a) He lies on the ground.
(b) He staggers into the bushes.
(c) He charges again.
(d) He crawls away.
15. What does Old Yeller do when he hears the bulls start to fight?
(a) He charges at them, trying to chase them away.
(b) He hides behind Arliss.
(c) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
(d) He runs away into the hills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Travis does when he reaches the Salt Licks?
2. How does Travis' dog, Bell, die?
3. What is Travis' reaction to Old Yeller when the dog approaches him?
4. What kind of man is Burn Sanderson?
5. Why does Travis run off when the trade is made between Arliss and Sanderson?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)