|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Travis know that Little Arliss is in trouble?
(a) Arliss is screaming for Travis which is unusual.
(b) Arliss is crying which he never usually does.
(c) Arliss' screams are loud, shrill, and frantic.
(d) Arliss is screaming about the yeller dog.
2. What does Mama make Arliss take out of his pockets before he goes to bed?
(a) His tree frog.
(b) Grasshoppers, worms, bugs, and lizards.
(c) His rock collection.
(d) His pennies.
3. How does Travis' dog, Bell, die?
(a) The dog falls into a raging river.
(b) The dog is bitten by a rattle snake.
(c) The dog is mauled by a bear.
(d) The dog dies of old age.
4. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
(a) The whimpering of a bear cub.
(b) The wild snarl of a mountain lion.
(c) The coughing roar of a charging bear.
(d) The sound of a dog dying.
5. How does the bull fight finally end?
(a) Travis shoots at them.
(b) The old bull is killed.
(c) The bulls give up and stagger away with their wounds.
(d) One of the bulls falls in the cart and it rolls down the hill.
6. What does Travis discover when he opens the dog run door where the meat is stored?
(a) The meat is rotten.
(b) A wolf is eating the meat.
(c) The meat is gone.
(d) Little Arliss is hanging from the meat.
7. What does Travis ask his father for before he leaves?
(a) A Bowie knife.
(b) A new rifle.
(c) A horse.
(d) A dog.
8. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
(a) Wild boars.
(b) Comanches scalping him.
(c) Squealing pigs.
(d) Hungry babies.
9. What does Travis think about as he and Old Yeller lie out under the stars?
(a) He wonders if his father can see the same stars in Kansas.
(b) He thinks about the day when he will have a ranch of his own.
(c) He thinks about how lucky he is to have a brother like Little Arliss.
(d) He thinks about what a wonderful dog Old Yeller is.
10. What does Old Yeller do when Travis sic's him on the bulls?
(a) He leaps onto the back of one of the bulls.
(b) He runs away into the woods.
(c) He circles the bulls, howling.
(d) He attacks the bulls.
11. What does Little Arliss do to Sanderson?
(a) He punches the man in the stomach.
(b) He begs the man to leave Old Yeller.
(c) He kicks the man in the shin.
(d) He throws rocks at the man and hits his horse.
12. What is Little Arliss' reaction when they get back to the cabin?
(a) He is angry that Travis pulled the cub away.
(b) He is shaking all over and clinging to Mama.
(c) He is angry at the bear.
(d) He passes out from fear.
13. Why do the hogs, cattle, and wild animals come to the Salt Licks?
(a) They lick the salt.
(b) They drink from the pond that is there.
(c) They eat the berries growing there.
(d) It has thick brambles where the animals hide.
14. What does Travis think about Old Yeller?
(a) He thinks the dog is stupid.
(b) He thinks the dog is smart but he doesn't want him.
(c) He thinks the dog is a purebred.
(d) He thinks the dog is vicious.
15. How does Little Arliss take Travis by surprise?
(a) Little Arliss attacks him with a battling stick.
(b) Little Arliss wrestles him to the ground.
(c) Little Arliss punches him in the stomach.
(d) Little Arliss kicks him in the shin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Sanderson give to Travis about when to shoot an animal with hydrophobia?
2. How does Travis show his love for Old Yeller?
3. When does Travis realize how badly he needs a dog?
4. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot at a running deer?
5. Who does Lisbeth say she saw stealing from the settlement?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)