|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do to keep the heifer from charging at Travis?
(a) He sets his teeth into the heifer's nose and flips her over.
(b) He jumps up and sets his teeth in the heifer's ear.
(c) He nips at the heifer's heels.
(d) He jumps on the heifer's back.
2. What does Sanderson tell Travis about the plague of hydrophobia?
(a) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two dogs that had it.
(b) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two wolves, a fox, and one skunk that had it.
(c) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two fox that had it.
(d) Sanderson tells Travis that he shot two coons that had it.
3. What do the Mexicans call a bull with a horn that hangs down past his jaw?
(a) A moon horn.
(b) A scoop horn.
(c) A droop horn.
(d) A loop horn.
4. What does Travis ask his father for before he leaves?
(a) A horse.
(b) A dog.
(c) A new rifle.
(d) A Bowie knife.
5. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
(a) On the grassy knoll.
(b) On the cabin steps.
(c) At the cabin window.
(d) On the split-rail fence.
6. What does Travis do to try to prevent Old Yeller from roaming at night?
(a) He locks him in the hen house.
(b) He puts him in the barn.
(c) He chains him to a post.
(d) He tries tying him with rope and rawhide string.
7. What does Travis' mother instruct him to do while he is doing his chores?
(a) He is to recite his numbers while he works.
(b) He is to recite his Latin verbs while he works.
(c) He is to think about Little Arliss and the dog.
(d) He is to say his prayers while he works.
8. Why is Travis annoyed with Mama and Little Arliss?
(a) He is annoyed that Mama spends all her time with Little Arliss.
(b) He is annoyed because Little Arliss is never punished.
(c) He is annoyed because Mama lets Little Arliss lie about the things he does.
(d) He is annoyed that Mama babies Little Arliss.
9. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
(a) The whimpering of a bear cub.
(b) The wild snarl of a mountain lion.
(c) The sound of a dog dying.
(d) The coughing roar of a charging bear.
10. What sound do the bulls make that are looking for a fight outside the family's cabin?
(a) They squeal like pigs.
(b) They quietly moan.
(c) They snort quietly.
(d) They raise their voices in a wild, brassy blare.
11. What does Little Arliss do to Sanderson?
(a) He begs the man to leave Old Yeller.
(b) He punches the man in the stomach.
(c) He throws rocks at the man and hits his horse.
(d) He kicks the man in the shin.
12. Who saves Little Arliss from the attacking bear?
(d) Old Yeller.
13. What does Travis do as the doe keeps approaching him?
(a) He backs up.
(b) He raises his gun and shoots.
(c) He raises his gun but doesn't shoot.
(d) He falls out of the tree.
14. What does Travis discover as he reaches the cabin?
(a) Arliss and the yeller dog are playing ball.
(b) Arliss and the yeller dog are sleeping in the hay.
(c) Arliss and the yeller dog are sharing a piece of meat.
(d) Arliss and the yeller dog are in the drinking water.
15. What does Old Yeller do when he hears the bulls start to fight?
(a) He charges at them, trying to chase them away.
(b) He runs away into the hills.
(c) He hides behind Arliss.
(d) He cowers in the corner of the cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Old Yeller's reaction when he is sprayed by a skunk?
2. What is Little Arliss' reaction to Old Yeller?
3. What does Travis notice about Old Yeller when he first sees the dog?
4. How does Travis' family come to get Old Yeller?
5. What does Mama make with lye water and hog fat?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)