|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Travis begin to love Old Yeller?
(a) He begins to love the dog when the dog gets sick.
(b) He begins to love the dog when the dog crawls into his bed.
(c) He begins to love the dog when Arliss asks him to.
(d) He begins to love the dog after the bear attack.
2. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
(a) On the cabin steps.
(b) At the cabin window.
(c) On the grassy knoll.
(d) On the split-rail fence.
3. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
(a) The coughing roar of a charging bear.
(b) The wild snarl of a mountain lion.
(c) The sound of a dog dying.
(d) The whimpering of a bear cub.
4. What type of dogs do most of the settlers own?
(a) Small, quick terriers.
(b) Big, fierce cur dogs.
(c) Pure bred Blood Hounds.
(d) Pure bred Coon Hounds.
5. What does Travis' mother instruct him to do while he is doing his chores?
(a) He is to recite his Latin verbs while he works.
(b) He is to say his prayers while he works.
(c) He is to think about Little Arliss and the dog.
(d) He is to recite his numbers while he works.
6. What does Travis discover as he reaches the cabin?
(a) Arliss and the yeller dog are playing ball.
(b) Arliss and the yeller dog are sleeping in the hay.
(c) Arliss and the yeller dog are in the drinking water.
(d) Arliss and the yeller dog are sharing a piece of meat.
7. What is Mama's reaction to Sanderson's first suggestion?
(a) She is insulted by the suggestion.
(b) She accepts it.
(c) She refuses.
(d) She is angry.
8. Why do the hogs, cattle, and wild animals come to the Salt Licks?
(a) They lick the salt.
(b) It has thick brambles where the animals hide.
(c) They drink from the pond that is there.
(d) They eat the berries growing there.
9. How does Travis react to the pending bull fight?
(a) He feels bad for the bulls.
(b) He can't watch because it sickens him.
(c) He blocks his ears from the sound of the bulls.
(d) He is excited and wants to see it.
10. How does Travis get Spot to settle down so he can milk her?
(a) He puts her into a narrow pen.
(b) He blindfolds her.
(c) He has Old Yeller stand near her.
(d) He ties her head and feet.
11. Who does Lisbeth say she saw stealing from the settlement?
(a) Old Yeller.
(b) A coyote.
(d) A bobcat.
12. What is the first suggestion Sanderson gives to Mama about keeping Old Yeller?
(a) He suggests that the dog stays with them until Papa comes back.
(b) He offers to give her a puppy instead of Old Yeller.
(c) He suggests that she take the boys inside while he grabs Old Yeller.
(d) He suggests that she pay him with the milk cow to keep Old Yeller.
13. How does Travis' dog, Bell, die?
(a) The dog falls into a raging river.
(b) The dog dies of old age.
(c) The dog is bitten by a rattle snake.
(d) The dog is mauled by a bear.
14. What does Old Yeller do when the bear slaps him head over heels?
(a) He lies on the ground.
(b) He charges again.
(c) He crawls away.
(d) He staggers into the bushes.
15. Why does the mother bear come running to attack Little Arliss?
(a) Arliss threw a rock at her.
(b) Arliss wandered into her den.
(c) Arliss threw a rock at her cub.
(d) Arliss is holding her bear cub by the leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Searcy go into the house when Mama invites him?
2. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
3. What changes Travis' mind about keeping the yeller dog as he rides to the cabin?
4. What does Mama make with lye water and hog fat?
5. Who saves Little Arliss from the attacking bear?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)