|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Little Arliss take Travis by surprise?
(a) Little Arliss wrestles him to the ground.
(b) Little Arliss punches him in the stomach.
(c) Little Arliss kicks him in the shin.
(d) Little Arliss attacks him with a battling stick.
2. What is Mama's reaction to Sanderson's first suggestion?
(a) She accepts it.
(b) She is insulted by the suggestion.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She refuses.
3. Who comes to the cabin two weeks after the milking incident?
(a) A man comes to claim Old Yeller.
(c) Jed Simpson.
(d) Bud Searcy.
4. How does Travis get Spot to settle down so he can milk her?
(a) He blindfolds her.
(b) He has Old Yeller stand near her.
(c) He ties her head and feet.
(d) He puts her into a narrow pen.
5. What is the solution Travis comes up with that finally keeps Old Yeller at home during the night?
(a) He builds a cage to keep Old Yeller in.
(b) He locks Old Yeller in the storm cellar.
(c) Old Yeller sleeps with Travis and Little Arliss.
(d) He locks Old Yeller in the corncrib.
6. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
(a) On the grassy knoll.
(b) On the cabin steps.
(c) At the cabin window.
(d) On the split-rail fence.
7. Why is Travis' father leaving the family for months?
(a) He is working as a field hand in Abilene.
(b) He is going East to school.
(c) He is going East to care for his dying mother.
(d) He is driving cattle to Abilene.
8. What does Mama make with lye water and hog fat?
(a) Antiseptic cream.
(c) Bug repellant.
9. Why does the mother bear come running to attack Little Arliss?
(a) Arliss threw a rock at her.
(b) Arliss is holding her bear cub by the leg.
(c) Arliss threw a rock at her cub.
(d) Arliss wandered into her den.
10. Who does Lisbeth say she saw stealing from the settlement?
(a) A bobcat.
(c) A coyote.
(d) Old Yeller.
11. What is Travis' reaction to Old Yeller when the dog approaches him?
(a) Travis screams at him.
(b) Travis backs away.
(c) Travis whispers to Old Yeller.
(d) Travis kicked at him as hard as he could.
12. What does Old Yeller do when Travis sic's him on the bulls?
(a) He leaps onto the back of one of the bulls.
(b) He attacks the bulls.
(c) He circles the bulls, howling.
(d) He runs away into the woods.
13. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
(a) Ranch hands.
14. What is Little Arliss' reaction when they get back to the cabin?
(a) He is angry at the bear.
(b) He is angry that Travis pulled the cub away.
(c) He is shaking all over and clinging to Mama.
(d) He passes out from fear.
15. How does Travis know that Little Arliss is in trouble?
(a) Arliss is screaming about the yeller dog.
(b) Arliss' screams are loud, shrill, and frantic.
(c) Arliss is screaming for Travis which is unusual.
(d) Arliss is crying which he never usually does.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burn Sanderson tell Mama about Old Yeller?
2. Why does Travis think the new, spotted heifer calf will make a good milking cow?
3. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
4. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot a javelina hog?
5. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)