|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sanderson get off his horse and approach Little Arliss?
(a) He slaps Little Arliss for his temper tantrum.
(b) He asks Little Arliss if he wants to keep the dog.
(c) He asks Little Arliss if he wants a puppy instead.
(d) He tells Little Arliss he is acting like a baby.
2. What are the best times to go to the Salt Licks to hunt?
(a) Mid-afternoon and late evening.
(b) Early morning and mid-afternoon.
(c) Early morning and late evening.
(d) Mid-afternoon and sunset.
3. What does Mama wrap Little Arliss' hands in when he is finned by a fish?
(a) A bandage of bear fat.
(b) A cloth with iodine.
(c) A poultice of prickly pear root.
(d) A poultice of wet mud.
4. What news does Searcy bring to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama?
(a) He tells them that Jed Simpson shot a turkey.
(b) He tells them that the men will be home in a few days.
(c) He tells them that the cows are going dry and the gardens are failing around the settlement.
(d) He tells them that Rosal shot a fox.
5. What does Little Arliss do to Sanderson?
(a) He throws rocks at the man and hits his horse.
(b) He kicks the man in the shin.
(c) He begs the man to leave Old Yeller.
(d) He punches the man in the stomach.
6. What does Travis think about Old Yeller?
(a) He thinks the dog is a purebred.
(b) He thinks the dog is smart but he doesn't want him.
(c) He thinks the dog is vicious.
(d) He thinks the dog is stupid.
7. Why does the mother bear come running to attack Little Arliss?
(a) Arliss threw a rock at her.
(b) Arliss threw a rock at her cub.
(c) Arliss is holding her bear cub by the leg.
(d) Arliss wandered into her den.
8. How does Travis know that Little Arliss is in trouble?
(a) Arliss is screaming for Travis which is unusual.
(b) Arliss is crying which he never usually does.
(c) Arliss is screaming about the yeller dog.
(d) Arliss' screams are loud, shrill, and frantic.
9. How does Little Arliss take Travis by surprise?
(a) Little Arliss kicks him in the shin.
(b) Little Arliss attacks him with a battling stick.
(c) Little Arliss wrestles him to the ground.
(d) Little Arliss punches him in the stomach.
10. What is the first suggestion Sanderson gives to Mama about keeping Old Yeller?
(a) He suggests that she pay him with the milk cow to keep Old Yeller.
(b) He suggests that she take the boys inside while he grabs Old Yeller.
(c) He suggests that the dog stays with them until Papa comes back.
(d) He offers to give her a puppy instead of Old Yeller.
11. Who does Lisbeth say she saw stealing from the settlement?
(a) Old Yeller.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A bobcat.
12. What does Travis do to try and drive the bulls away from the cabin?
(a) He tosses boiling water at them.
(b) He throws rocks at them.
(c) He goes after them with a bull whip.
(d) He chases them with a pitch fork.
13. How many cows does Travis have to milk to get enough for the family?
(d) Five or six.
14. What does Travis decide to do about Old Yeller?
(a) Obedience train him.
(b) Find a way to get rid of him.
(c) Make friends with him.
(d) Teach him to hunt.
15. How does the first bull become wounded in the fight?
(a) The first bull is slammed in the ribs.
(b) The first bull is slammed by the other bull's horn in the shoulder.
(c) The first bull is gored in the hip.
(d) The first bull has his horn ripped out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Searcy go into the house when Mama invites him?
2. What kind of man is Burn Sanderson?
3. What is a strange varmit stealing from the people in the settlement?
4. What type of dogs do most of the settlers own?
5. What changes Travis' mind about keeping the yeller dog as he rides to the cabin?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)