|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do when Travis sic's him on the bulls?
(a) He runs away into the woods.
(b) He circles the bulls, howling.
(c) He attacks the bulls.
(d) He leaps onto the back of one of the bulls.
2. How does Travis show his love for Old Yeller?
(a) He bathes him, pulls thorns from his paw, burns ticks off, and lets him sleep with him.
(b) He brings Old Yeller for long walks.
(c) He brushes the dog every day.
(d) He gives Old Yeller his share of the meat.
3. What does Travis discover as he reaches the cabin?
(a) Arliss and the yeller dog are sleeping in the hay.
(b) Arliss and the yeller dog are sharing a piece of meat.
(c) Arliss and the yeller dog are in the drinking water.
(d) Arliss and the yeller dog are playing ball.
4. How does Travis react to the news about hydrophobia?
(a) He is scared and mixed up about the danger.
(b) He thinks Sanderson is lying about it.
(c) He doesn't think it is anything to be concerned about.
(d) He thinks Sanderson is overreacting.
5. Who does Lisbeth say she saw stealing from the settlement?
(b) A bobcat.
(c) Old Yeller.
(d) A coyote.
6. What does Mama make with lye water and hog fat?
(a) Bug repellant.
(d) Antiseptic cream.
7. What are the symptoms of hydrophobia?
(a) Limping and vomiting.
(b) Watery eyes and lethargy.
(c) Swollen eyes and vomiting.
(d) Foaming at the mouth and blind staggers.
8. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
(a) He is splitting logs.
(b) He is fishing.
(c) He is hanging the meat.
(d) He is hunting.
9. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
(a) The wild snarl of a mountain lion.
(b) The coughing roar of a charging bear.
(c) The sound of a dog dying.
(d) The whimpering of a bear cub.
10. Why does Travis think the new, spotted heifer calf will make a good milking cow?
(a) It is raw boned and ugly enough to be a good milk cow.
(b) It is a fat and feminine calf.
(c) It is a pretty, fat heifer.
(d) It has the calmness of a milk cow.
11. How does the bull fight finally end?
(a) The bulls give up and stagger away with their wounds.
(b) The old bull is killed.
(c) Travis shoots at them.
(d) One of the bulls falls in the cart and it rolls down the hill.
12. Why is Bud Searcy left behind when all the men drive the cattle to Abilene?
(a) He is shiftless.
(b) He doesn't have a horse.
(c) He has only one arm.
(d) He is blind.
13. Why doesn't Searcy go into the house when Mama invites him?
(a) He says that he didn't come for a social call.
(b) He says that he would rather sit in the dog run.
(c) He says that the house smell like the old dog.
(d) He says that he doesn't feel at ease in the house.
14. What news does Searcy bring to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama?
(a) He tells them that Jed Simpson shot a turkey.
(b) He tells them that the cows are going dry and the gardens are failing around the settlement.
(c) He tells them that the men will be home in a few days.
(d) He tells them that Rosal shot a fox.
15. What is Old Yeller's reaction to the bear attack once they are all back in the cabin?
(a) He is trembling in the corner.
(b) He acts like the bear attack was great fun.
(c) He is crying with pain.
(d) He is licking Little Arliss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama wrap Little Arliss' hands in when he is finned by a fish?
2. What does Sanderson tell Travis about the plague of hydrophobia?
3. How does Travis' dog, Bell, die?
4. What does Travis do to try to prevent Old Yeller from roaming at night?
5. Who saves Little Arliss from the attacking bear?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)