|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Sanderson give to Travis about when to shoot an animal with hydrophobia?
(a) Shoot only wild animals, not pets.
(b) Shoot anything that is acting unnatural.
(c) Shoot the animal after it tries to bite.
(d) Shoot any animal he comes across until the hydrophobia is gone.
2. What does Mama prepare for supper after Old Yeller arrives?
(a) Hotcakes and honey.
(b) Buttermilk biscuits.
(c) Corn meal mush.
(d) Beef stew.
3. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
(a) He kicks Jumper in the rump.
(b) He hits Jumper across the jaw with a club.
(c) He lures Jumper back to the field with an apple.
(d) He pulls Jumper by the reins.
4. Why does the mother bear come running to attack Little Arliss?
(a) Arliss wandered into her den.
(b) Arliss threw a rock at her cub.
(c) Arliss threw a rock at her.
(d) Arliss is holding her bear cub by the leg.
5. Why is Travis' father leaving the family for months?
(a) He is going East to care for his dying mother.
(b) He is going East to school.
(c) He is driving cattle to Abilene.
(d) He is working as a field hand in Abilene.
6. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
(a) He is splitting logs.
(b) He is hanging the meat.
(c) He is fishing.
(d) He is hunting.
7. What does Old Yeller do to keep the heifer from charging at Travis?
(a) He jumps on the heifer's back.
(b) He nips at the heifer's heels.
(c) He jumps up and sets his teeth in the heifer's ear.
(d) He sets his teeth into the heifer's nose and flips her over.
8. What does Burn Sanderson tell Mama about Old Yeller?
(a) He is He is the best sheep dog that was ever born.
(b) He is the best cow dog that was ever born.
(c) He is no good with cows.
(d) He is obedient and submissive.
9. What is the first suggestion Sanderson gives to Mama about keeping Old Yeller?
(a) He suggests that the dog stays with them until Papa comes back.
(b) He suggests that she take the boys inside while he grabs Old Yeller.
(c) He suggests that she pay him with the milk cow to keep Old Yeller.
(d) He offers to give her a puppy instead of Old Yeller.
10. Why doesn't Searcy go into the house when Mama invites him?
(a) He says that he would rather sit in the dog run.
(b) He says that the house smell like the old dog.
(c) He says that he doesn't feel at ease in the house.
(d) He says that he didn't come for a social call.
11. How does the bull fight finally end?
(a) The bulls give up and stagger away with their wounds.
(b) Travis shoots at them.
(c) One of the bulls falls in the cart and it rolls down the hill.
(d) The old bull is killed.
12. What disease does Bud Searcy hope does not spread throughout the settlement before the men get back?
(a) Small Pox.
13. What does Travis' father ask him to do while he is away?
(a) He asks Travis to fetch a neighbor to help the family.
(b) He asks Travis to keep up with his school work.
(c) He asks Travis to go to neighbors and work for food.
(d) He asks Travis to take care of the family and act like a man.
14. How does Travis show his love for Old Yeller?
(a) He brings Old Yeller for long walks.
(b) He gives Old Yeller his share of the meat.
(c) He brushes the dog every day.
(d) He bathes him, pulls thorns from his paw, burns ticks off, and lets him sleep with him.
15. Why is Travis annoyed with Mama and Little Arliss?
(a) He is annoyed because Little Arliss is never punished.
(b) He is annoyed that Mama spends all her time with Little Arliss.
(c) He is annoyed because Mama lets Little Arliss lie about the things he does.
(d) He is annoyed that Mama babies Little Arliss.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Little Arliss take Travis by surprise?
2. Why does Sanderson get off his horse and approach Little Arliss?
3. Why does Little Arliss cry when his father goes away?
4. What sound does Travis recognize that he has heard only once before?
5. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)