|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Travis react to the news about hydrophobia?
(a) He is scared and mixed up about the danger.
(b) He thinks Sanderson is overreacting.
(c) He thinks Sanderson is lying about it.
(d) He doesn't think it is anything to be concerned about.
2. When does Travis begin to love Old Yeller?
(a) He begins to love the dog when Arliss asks him to.
(b) He begins to love the dog when the dog crawls into his bed.
(c) He begins to love the dog after the bear attack.
(d) He begins to love the dog when the dog gets sick.
3. What is Old Yeller's reaction to the bear attack once they are all back in the cabin?
(a) He is licking Little Arliss.
(b) He is trembling in the corner.
(c) He acts like the bear attack was great fun.
(d) He is crying with pain.
4. What is a strange varmit stealing from the people in the settlement?
(a) Meat, eggs, and cornbread.
(d) Flour and eggs.
5. What do the Mexicans call a bull with a horn that hangs down past his jaw?
(a) A droop horn.
(b) A scoop horn.
(c) A loop horn.
(d) A moon horn.
6. What does Old Yeller do to keep the heifer from charging at Travis?
(a) He jumps on the heifer's back.
(b) He sets his teeth into the heifer's nose and flips her over.
(c) He jumps up and sets his teeth in the heifer's ear.
(d) He nips at the heifer's heels.
7. How does Travis finally shoot the turkey that he wounded in the pea garden?
(a) Old Yeller tracks down the turkey and trees it, so Travis can shoot it.
(b) The turkey is slow because it is wounded and Travis is able to shoot it.
(c) The turkey runs in circles in the peas and Travis shoots it.
(d) Little Arliss throws a stone at the turkey, knocking it down and Travis shoots it.
8. Who comes to the cabin two weeks after the milking incident?
(a) A man comes to claim Old Yeller.
(b) Jed Simpson.
(d) Bud Searcy.
9. Why doesn't Searcy go into the house when Mama invites him?
(a) He says that he didn't come for a social call.
(b) He says that the house smell like the old dog.
(c) He says that he doesn't feel at ease in the house.
(d) He says that he would rather sit in the dog run.
10. What does Travis decide to do about Old Yeller?
(a) Find a way to get rid of him.
(b) Make friends with him.
(c) Teach him to hunt.
(d) Obedience train him.
11. What is Travis' reaction to Old Yeller when the dog approaches him?
(a) Travis backs away.
(b) Travis screams at him.
(c) Travis whispers to Old Yeller.
(d) Travis kicked at him as hard as he could.
12. How does Travis' dog, Bell, die?
(a) The dog falls into a raging river.
(b) The dog dies of old age.
(c) The dog is mauled by a bear.
(d) The dog is bitten by a rattle snake.
13. What are the symptoms of hydrophobia?
(a) Swollen eyes and vomiting.
(b) Foaming at the mouth and blind staggers.
(c) Watery eyes and lethargy.
(d) Limping and vomiting.
14. How does Little Arliss act when Travis takes him squirrel hunting?
(a) Arliss turns out to be a good hunter.
(b) Arliss is noisy and pesky.
(c) Arliss is talented at tracking game.
(d) Arliss is as quiet as a mouse.
15. Who saves Little Arliss from the attacking bear?
(d) Old Yeller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama prepare for supper after Old Yeller arrives?
2. How does Travis know that Little Arliss is in trouble?
3. Why is Travis concerned about being the man of the family?
4. What does Arliss start catching after Old Yeller arrives?
5. What is the color of the two bulls?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)