|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warns the doe that Travis is nearby?
(a) He sneezes.
(b) He laughs at a squirrel.
(c) He scratches his ear.
(d) He stretches out his leg.
2. What does Little Arliss do to Sanderson?
(a) He throws rocks at the man and hits his horse.
(b) He kicks the man in the shin.
(c) He punches the man in the stomach.
(d) He begs the man to leave Old Yeller.
3. Why does Sanderson get off his horse and approach Little Arliss?
(a) He tells Little Arliss he is acting like a baby.
(b) He asks Little Arliss if he wants a puppy instead.
(c) He asks Little Arliss if he wants to keep the dog.
(d) He slaps Little Arliss for his temper tantrum.
4. What does Travis notice about Old Yeller when he first sees the dog?
(a) The dog is fat.
(b) The dog is injured.
(c) The dog is lame.
(d) The dog is starving.
5. What are all Texans short of now that the Civil War is over?
(d) Ranch hands.
6. What is the color of the two bulls?
(a) One of the bulls is black and the other is gray with spots.
(b) One of the bulls is a mustard color and the other is black.
(c) One of the bulls is a mustard color and the other is a red roan.
(d) One of the bulls is a red roan and the other is black.
7. What is the trade that Sanderson and Little Arliss agree upon?
(a) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for the mule, Jumper.
(b) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a home cooked meal.
(c) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a pair of Papa's boots.
(d) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a sack of corn meal.
8. What kind of man is Burn Sanderson?
(a) He is rough and crude.
(b) He is young and rude.
(c) He is young, nice, and polite.
(d) He is old and haggard.
9. Why is Travis annoyed with Mama and Little Arliss?
(a) He is annoyed because Little Arliss is never punished.
(b) He is annoyed that Mama babies Little Arliss.
(c) He is annoyed because Mama lets Little Arliss lie about the things he does.
(d) He is annoyed that Mama spends all her time with Little Arliss.
10. How does Travis finally shoot the turkey that he wounded in the pea garden?
(a) The turkey is slow because it is wounded and Travis is able to shoot it.
(b) The turkey runs in circles in the peas and Travis shoots it.
(c) Little Arliss throws a stone at the turkey, knocking it down and Travis shoots it.
(d) Old Yeller tracks down the turkey and trees it, so Travis can shoot it.
11. Why is Bud Searcy left behind when all the men drive the cattle to Abilene?
(a) He has only one arm.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He doesn't have a horse.
(d) He is shiftless.
12. What does Old Yeller do to keep the heifer from charging at Travis?
(a) He jumps on the heifer's back.
(b) He sets his teeth into the heifer's nose and flips her over.
(c) He nips at the heifer's heels.
(d) He jumps up and sets his teeth in the heifer's ear.
13. What does Mama make Arliss take out of his pockets before he goes to bed?
(a) His tree frog.
(b) Grasshoppers, worms, bugs, and lizards.
(c) His pennies.
(d) His rock collection.
14. What are the symptoms of hydrophobia?
(a) Swollen eyes and vomiting.
(b) Foaming at the mouth and blind staggers.
(c) Limping and vomiting.
(d) Watery eyes and lethargy.
15. What are the best times to go to the Salt Licks to hunt?
(a) Early morning and mid-afternoon.
(b) Mid-afternoon and sunset.
(c) Early morning and late evening.
(d) Mid-afternoon and late evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Little Arliss want to keep Old Yeller?
2. How does Little Arliss act when Travis takes him squirrel hunting?
3. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
4. What is Little Arliss' reaction to Old Yeller?
5. What sound do the bulls make that are looking for a fight outside the family's cabin?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)