|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the color of the two bulls?
(a) One of the bulls is black and the other is gray with spots.
(b) One of the bulls is a mustard color and the other is black.
(c) One of the bulls is a red roan and the other is black.
(d) One of the bulls is a mustard color and the other is a red roan.
2. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
(a) Squealing pigs.
(b) Wild boars.
(c) Hungry babies.
(d) Comanches scalping him.
3. What warns the doe that Travis is nearby?
(a) He stretches out his leg.
(b) He scratches his ear.
(c) He laughs at a squirrel.
(d) He sneezes.
4. What are the best times to go to the Salt Licks to hunt?
(a) Early morning and late evening.
(b) Early morning and mid-afternoon.
(c) Mid-afternoon and late evening.
(d) Mid-afternoon and sunset.
5. Why do the hogs, cattle, and wild animals come to the Salt Licks?
(a) They eat the berries growing there.
(b) It has thick brambles where the animals hide.
(c) They lick the salt.
(d) They drink from the pond that is there.
6. What is Mama's reaction to Sanderson's first suggestion?
(a) She refuses.
(b) She accepts it.
(c) She is insulted by the suggestion.
(d) She is angry.
7. How does Travis interpret the sounds of the old bull?
(a) Travis says that the old bull is asking the younger bull to kill him.
(b) Travis says that the old bull is giving up his rights as leader.
(c) Travis says that the old bull is surrendering and willing to die.
(d) Travis says that the bull is bragging about being the biggest, toughest, and meanest.
8. What is the first thing Travis does when he reaches the Salt Licks?
(a) He checks for deer prints in the mud.
(b) He climbs a tree and watches for deer.
(c) He sits with the wind blowing across his back.
(d) He determines which way the wind is blowing.
9. What disease does Bud Searcy hope does not spread throughout the settlement before the men get back?
(c) Small Pox.
10. What does Travis decide to do about Old Yeller?
(a) Make friends with him.
(b) Teach him to hunt.
(c) Find a way to get rid of him.
(d) Obedience train him.
11. Why does Travis think the new, spotted heifer calf will make a good milking cow?
(a) It is a pretty, fat heifer.
(b) It is a fat and feminine calf.
(c) It has the calmness of a milk cow.
(d) It is raw boned and ugly enough to be a good milk cow.
12. What advice does Sanderson give to Travis about when to shoot an animal with hydrophobia?
(a) Shoot the animal after it tries to bite.
(b) Shoot only wild animals, not pets.
(c) Shoot anything that is acting unnatural.
(d) Shoot any animal he comes across until the hydrophobia is gone.
13. Why doesn't Searcy go into the house when Mama invites him?
(a) He says that the house smell like the old dog.
(b) He says that he doesn't feel at ease in the house.
(c) He says that he would rather sit in the dog run.
(d) He says that he didn't come for a social call.
14. What is Travis' reaction to Old Yeller when the dog approaches him?
(a) Travis kicked at him as hard as he could.
(b) Travis whispers to Old Yeller.
(c) Travis screams at him.
(d) Travis backs away.
15. What does Burn Sanderson tell Mama about Old Yeller?
(a) He is He is the best sheep dog that was ever born.
(b) He is no good with cows.
(c) He is obedient and submissive.
(d) He is the best cow dog that was ever born.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Travis annoyed with Mama and Little Arliss?
2. Why doesn't Travis want to shoot at a running deer?
3. How does Travis show his love for Old Yeller?
4. What does Mama make Arliss take out of his pockets before he goes to bed?
5. What do the Mexicans call a bull with a horn that hangs down past his jaw?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)