|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama make with lye water and hog fat?
(a) Antiseptic cream.
(c) Bug repellant.
2. What advice does Sanderson give to Travis about when to shoot an animal with hydrophobia?
(a) Shoot anything that is acting unnatural.
(b) Shoot the animal after it tries to bite.
(c) Shoot only wild animals, not pets.
(d) Shoot any animal he comes across until the hydrophobia is gone.
3. What does Mama wrap Little Arliss' hands in when he is finned by a fish?
(a) A poultice of prickly pear root.
(b) A cloth with iodine.
(c) A bandage of bear fat.
(d) A poultice of wet mud.
4. What does Travis' mother instruct him to do while he is doing his chores?
(a) He is to think about Little Arliss and the dog.
(b) He is to say his prayers while he works.
(c) He is to recite his Latin verbs while he works.
(d) He is to recite his numbers while he works.
5. How does Travis interpret the sounds of the old bull?
(a) Travis says that the old bull is surrendering and willing to die.
(b) Travis says that the old bull is giving up his rights as leader.
(c) Travis says that the bull is bragging about being the biggest, toughest, and meanest.
(d) Travis says that the old bull is asking the younger bull to kill him.
6. How does Travis react to the news about hydrophobia?
(a) He is scared and mixed up about the danger.
(b) He thinks Sanderson is overreacting.
(c) He doesn't think it is anything to be concerned about.
(d) He thinks Sanderson is lying about it.
7. What does Travis discover when he opens the dog run door where the meat is stored?
(a) Little Arliss is hanging from the meat.
(b) The meat is gone.
(c) The meat is rotten.
(d) A wolf is eating the meat.
8. What does Mama make Arliss take out of his pockets before he goes to bed?
(a) His pennies.
(b) His rock collection.
(c) Grasshoppers, worms, bugs, and lizards.
(d) His tree frog.
9. What sound do the bulls make that are looking for a fight outside the family's cabin?
(a) They squeal like pigs.
(b) They quietly moan.
(c) They snort quietly.
(d) They raise their voices in a wild, brassy blare.
10. What does Mama prepare for supper after Old Yeller arrives?
(a) Hotcakes and honey.
(b) Corn meal mush.
(c) Beef stew.
(d) Buttermilk biscuits.
11. How does Travis' family come to get Old Yeller?
(a) The dog wanders to their cabin.
(b) They win the dog at the country fair.
(c) A friend gives the dog as a gift.
(d) They buy him from a neighbor.
12. Where do Mama, Little Arliss, and Travis sit to see the bull fight?
(a) On the grassy knoll.
(b) At the cabin window.
(c) On the split-rail fence.
(d) On the cabin steps.
13. What is the trade that Sanderson and Little Arliss agree upon?
(a) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for the mule, Jumper.
(b) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a home cooked meal.
(c) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a pair of Papa's boots.
(d) Sanderson gives Old Yeller to Arliss for a sack of corn meal.
14. Why does Little Arliss want to keep Old Yeller?
(a) He wants a dog to protect him from Travis.
(b) He's never had a dog of his own.
(c) He wants a dog to sleep with.
(d) He wants to teach the dog to hunt rabbits.
15. What kind of man is Burn Sanderson?
(a) He is young, nice, and polite.
(b) He is old and haggard.
(c) He is young and rude.
(d) He is rough and crude.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Searcy bring to Travis, Little Arliss, and Mama?
2. Why is Bud Searcy left behind when all the men drive the cattle to Abilene?
3. How does Travis show his love for Old Yeller?
4. How does Travis' dog, Bell, die?
5. What does Old Yeller do when he hears the bulls start to fight?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)