|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Travis doing when he hears Little Arliss screaming?
(a) He is hanging the meat.
(b) He is splitting logs.
(c) He is hunting.
(d) He is fishing.
2. What is Travis' reaction to Old Yeller when the dog approaches him?
(a) Travis screams at him.
(b) Travis whispers to Old Yeller.
(c) Travis backs away.
(d) Travis kicked at him as hard as he could.
3. How does Travis show his love for Old Yeller?
(a) He brushes the dog every day.
(b) He bathes him, pulls thorns from his paw, burns ticks off, and lets him sleep with him.
(c) He brings Old Yeller for long walks.
(d) He gives Old Yeller his share of the meat.
4. What does Arliss do when Travis yells at him?
(a) Arliss runs away and hides.
(b) Arliss sics the yeller dog on Travis.
(c) Arliss throws a rock at Travis.
(d) Arliss runs after Travis and kicks him.
5. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
(a) Jumper is too old to go that far.
(b) Jumper is afraid of gunfire and he will scare away the game.
(c) It is too much of a rocky climb.
(d) Jumper will be attacked by a bear.
6. What does Old Yeller do to keep the heifer from charging at Travis?
(a) He jumps up and sets his teeth in the heifer's ear.
(b) He jumps on the heifer's back.
(c) He sets his teeth into the heifer's nose and flips her over.
(d) He nips at the heifer's heels.
7. How does Travis know that Little Arliss is in trouble?
(a) Arliss is screaming about the yeller dog.
(b) Arliss is crying which he never usually does.
(c) Arliss is screaming for Travis which is unusual.
(d) Arliss' screams are loud, shrill, and frantic.
8. How does Travis react to the news about hydrophobia?
(a) He thinks Sanderson is lying about it.
(b) He doesn't think it is anything to be concerned about.
(c) He thinks Sanderson is overreacting.
(d) He is scared and mixed up about the danger.
9. What does Travis do to Jumper when he decides he doesn't want to plow anymore?
(a) He pulls Jumper by the reins.
(b) He kicks Jumper in the rump.
(c) He lures Jumper back to the field with an apple.
(d) He hits Jumper across the jaw with a club.
10. How does Travis get Spot to settle down so he can milk her?
(a) He has Old Yeller stand near her.
(b) He blindfolds her.
(c) He ties her head and feet.
(d) He puts her into a narrow pen.
11. What keeps Travis and Old Yeller busy all night long?
(a) Chasing a coyote away from the hen house.
(b) Chasing away coons, skunks, and coyotes from the garden.
(c) Keeping a bear away from the cabin.
(d) Preventing a cougar from attacking the sheep.
12. Who comes to the cabin two weeks after the milking incident?
(a) A man comes to claim Old Yeller.
(b) Jed Simpson.
(c) Bud Searcy.
13. What is Old Yeller's reaction when he is sprayed by a skunk?
(a) He snorts, drools, and vomits.
(b) He digs a deep hole and lays in it.
(c) It doesn't seem to bother him.
(d) He rolls in the dirt, and then jumps in the pond.
14. How does the first bull become wounded in the fight?
(a) The first bull is slammed by the other bull's horn in the shoulder.
(b) The first bull is slammed in the ribs.
(c) The first bull is gored in the hip.
(d) The first bull has his horn ripped out.
15. What is the first thing Travis does when he reaches the Salt Licks?
(a) He determines which way the wind is blowing.
(b) He checks for deer prints in the mud.
(c) He sits with the wind blowing across his back.
(d) He climbs a tree and watches for deer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Old Yeller do when Travis sic's him on the bulls?
2. What does Mama make Arliss take out of his pockets before he goes to bed?
3. Why does Little Arliss cry when his father goes away?
4. Why is Travis concerned about being the man of the family?
5. Why is Travis annoyed with Mama and Little Arliss?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)