|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the solution Travis comes up with that finally keeps Old Yeller at home during the night?
(a) He builds a cage to keep Old Yeller in.
(b) Old Yeller sleeps with Travis and Little Arliss.
(c) He locks Old Yeller in the storm cellar.
(d) He locks Old Yeller in the corncrib.
2. How does Travis react to the news about hydrophobia?
(a) He is scared and mixed up about the danger.
(b) He doesn't think it is anything to be concerned about.
(c) He thinks Sanderson is overreacting.
(d) He thinks Sanderson is lying about it.
3. What does Arliss do when Travis yells at him?
(a) Arliss runs after Travis and kicks him.
(b) Arliss runs away and hides.
(c) Arliss throws a rock at Travis.
(d) Arliss sics the yeller dog on Travis.
4. What are the best times to go to the Salt Licks to hunt?
(a) Mid-afternoon and late evening.
(b) Early morning and late evening.
(c) Early morning and mid-afternoon.
(d) Mid-afternoon and sunset.
5. What is Little Arliss' reaction when they get back to the cabin?
(a) He is angry that Travis pulled the cub away.
(b) He is angry at the bear.
(c) He is shaking all over and clinging to Mama.
(d) He passes out from fear.
6. Why had Papa cleared out all the brush and trees from around the cabin?
(a) He cleared the brush so Mama could plant roses.
(b) He cleared the brush to get a clear shot at Comanches and Apaches.
(c) He cleared the brush in case of a fire.
(d) He cleared the brush to cut down on the bugs.
7. What is the color of the two bulls?
(a) One of the bulls is black and the other is gray with spots.
(b) One of the bulls is a mustard color and the other is black.
(c) One of the bulls is a red roan and the other is black.
(d) One of the bulls is a mustard color and the other is a red roan.
8. What does Travis do to try to prevent Old Yeller from roaming at night?
(a) He puts him in the barn.
(b) He chains him to a post.
(c) He tries tying him with rope and rawhide string.
(d) He locks him in the hen house.
9. How does Little Arliss act when Travis takes him squirrel hunting?
(a) Arliss is as quiet as a mouse.
(b) Arliss is noisy and pesky.
(c) Arliss is talented at tracking game.
(d) Arliss turns out to be a good hunter.
10. What is Mama's reaction to Sanderson's first suggestion?
(a) She is insulted by the suggestion.
(b) She accepts it.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She refuses.
11. Why does the mother bear come running to attack Little Arliss?
(a) Arliss threw a rock at her cub.
(b) Arliss wandered into her den.
(c) Arliss threw a rock at her.
(d) Arliss is holding her bear cub by the leg.
12. Why is Bud Searcy left behind when all the men drive the cattle to Abilene?
(a) He doesn't have a horse.
(b) He has only one arm.
(c) He is shiftless.
(d) He is blind.
13. What does Travis compare Little Arliss' screaming to?
(a) Hungry babies.
(b) Squealing pigs.
(c) Wild boars.
(d) Comanches scalping him.
14. Why does Little Arliss want to keep Old Yeller?
(a) He wants a dog to protect him from Travis.
(b) He wants to teach the dog to hunt rabbits.
(c) He wants a dog to sleep with.
(d) He's never had a dog of his own.
15. What does Mama ask Travis to do after he milks the cows?
(a) Get Little Arliss ready for bed.
(b) Kill a doe for meat.
(c) Feed the dog.
(d) Read the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of dogs do most of the settlers own?
2. What does Old Yeller do when the bear slaps him head over heels?
3. Why is Travis annoyed with Mama and Little Arliss?
4. What is the first thing Travis does when he reaches the Salt Licks?
5. Why can't Travis take Jumper close to the Salt Licks where he goes to hunt deer?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)