|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Curley's wife says something horrible that she can have done to Crooks?
2. What causes Lennie to grab Curley's wife's hair?
3. Why did Curley's wife say she married Curley?
4. To whom does George lie in Chapter 6?
5. What does George do after assuring Lennie of something in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Crooks, the black ranch hand, live on the ranch?
2. What does George pull out of his pocket in Chapter 6, while sitting with Lennie?
3. Lennie cries out George's name while hiding in the brush in Chapter 6. What is George's response?
4. Who does Curley's wife insult when she walks into Crooks' room?
5. What does Lennie do after his confrontation with Curley's wife?
6. What does George say when Lennie asks if he will leave him in Chapter 6?
7. Who is the first image that appears to Lennie as he is sitting in the brush in Chapter 6?
8. What story does Crooks share with Lennie in Chapter 4?
9. What does Crooks talk about when Lennie continues to bring up the rabbits in Chapter 4?
10. What does Curley's wife share with Lennie in the barn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Soledad, California is the setting of this story, and the background seems to be as much a character as the humans who take part in the action. Why do you think that Steinbeck chose this setting for the story? How does the story help or hurt the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Carlson seems to have a lot of trouble with the smell of Candy's dog, asking nearly everyone to convince Candy to shoot the dog. Why do you think that Carlson is so fixated on this dog? What other ways could Candy have dealt with the situation? What does it say about Candy that he allows someone else to shoot his dog?
Essay Topic 3
When George kills Lennie, it's a shock to some readers. After all of George's devotion and loyalty, this seems like a final act of betrayal. Why do you think George killed Lennie? Do you think this killing was the right thing to do? Why did George lie about what happened with Lennie? What do you think happens to George after the book ends?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)