|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lennie pick up before he runs away from the barn in Chapter 5?
2. Who says in Chapter 4 that he really doesn't want to work for Candy?
3. What does Lennie do at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. To whom did George forbid Lennie to talk to?
5. Whose gun does George have in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George pull out of his pocket in Chapter 6, while sitting with Lennie?
2. What was Crooks doing in the beginning of Chapter 4, before Lennie entered, and then again at the end of the chapter when he is alone again?
3. What does Crooks say to Lennie in Chapter 4 to upset him?
4. Why did Curley's wife even marry Curley in the first place?
5. What does Lennie do after he comes out of the brush from hiding, after his confrontation with Curley's Wife?
6. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
7. Lennie cries out George's name while hiding in the brush in Chapter 6. What is George's response?
8. What happens when Lennie realizes that George will figure it out that Lennie has killed the puppy?
9. When Crooks tells Curley's wife to leave his room, what happens?
10. At the end of the book, what does George say happened to Lennie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George tells Lennie where to hide in the brush if they should get into trouble, but he tells him this before they go to the new ranch. What does his mean in terms of Lennie's past? Why does George plan for their escape ahead of time? How many other times do you think Lennie has been in trouble before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Curley attacks Lennie, Lennie doesn't defend himself, even though he is much bigger and stronger. This seems a contradiction as Lennie does appear to have violent tendencies. Why do you think the Lennie didn't defend himself? Should he have fought back? Why or why not? And why did Lennie eventually break Curley's hand?
Essay Topic 3
Carlson seems to have a lot of trouble with the smell of Candy's dog, asking nearly everyone to convince Candy to shoot the dog. Why do you think that Carlson is so fixated on this dog? What other ways could Candy have dealt with the situation? What does it say about Candy that he allows someone else to shoot his dog?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)