|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Curley's wife wearing when she enters the barn in Chapter 5?
2. Who does Curley's wife accuse of sabotaging her from attaining her desired profession?
3. What does Lennie pick up before he runs away from the barn in Chapter 5?
4. What causes Lennie to panic around Curley's wife in Chapter 5?
5. Why does a specific individual not want to work for Candy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Curley's wife share with Lennie in the barn?
2. Who is the first image that appears to Lennie as he is sitting in the brush in Chapter 6?
3. What does George say when Lennie asks if he will leave him in Chapter 6?
4. What does the rabbit image say to Lennie in Chapter 6?
5. What happens when Lennie realizes that George will figure it out that Lennie has killed the puppy?
6. Lennie cries out George's name while hiding in the brush in Chapter 6. What is George's response?
7. What does Candy say they should do about Lennie, after they discover what happened to Curley's wife?
8. What was Crooks doing in the beginning of Chapter 4, before Lennie entered, and then again at the end of the chapter when he is alone again?
9. What story does Lennie make George repeat to him while they sit together in the brush in the final chapter?
10. What has happened to the puppy that Lennie talks to in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lennie is a man who appears to be very strong but also mentally disabled. This affliction affects his ability to make decisions and to understand when he is causing someone pain. At the same time, he is also able to remember the story of the plans George and he have for a ranch of their own. Does this ability to recall these kinds of details show that Lennie may not be as mentally challenged as one might think? Why or why not? What other proof is there that Lennie is smarter than he lets on?
Essay Topic 2
George and Lennie talk constantly about having a place of their own. Besides getting out of having to work for other people, what other reasons do you think they have for owning their own place? What makes this the dream they come back to again and again when they are upset? What would this new place do for them?
Essay Topic 3
George tells Lennie where to hide in the brush if they should get into trouble, but he tells him this before they go to the new ranch. What does his mean in terms of Lennie's past? Why does George plan for their escape ahead of time? How many other times do you think Lennie has been in trouble before? Why or why not?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)