|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is someone shot Chapter 6?
2. At the end of the book, where does George tell Lennie they are going?
3. Who walks out of the brush in the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. What happens when Curley's wife says something horrible that she can have done to Crooks?
5. In Chapter 5, who/what does Lennie blame for dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
2. What does Candy say they should do about Lennie, after they discover what happened to Curley's wife?
3. Why does Crooks live in a separate space than the rest of the men?
4. What happens when Lennie realizes that George will figure it out that Lennie has killed the puppy?
5. What does George pull out of his pocket in Chapter 6, while sitting with Lennie?
6. Describe Curley's wife.
7. Why did Curley's wife even marry Curley in the first place?
8. What does George do with the gun in Chapter 6?
9. What has happened to the puppy that Lennie talks to in Chapter 5?
10. What does the rabbit image say to Lennie in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George used to play jokes on Lennie but not anymore after one incident in which Lennie nearly drowned. That said, why do you think George played tricks on Lennie in the first place? There are several possible reasons, so explain each in terms of how George may have benefited from the trick.
Essay Topic 2
Lennie is absolutely fascinated by rabbits. He wants to have them as pets at the place where George and he will live. Why do you think that rabbits are so fascinating to Lennie? And for that matter, why is Lennie so fascinated with animals in general? What characteristics do animals and Lennie share?
Essay Topic 3
Soledad, California is the setting of this story, and the background seems to be as much a character as the humans who take part in the action. Why do you think that Steinbeck chose this setting for the story? How does the story help or hurt the characters?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)