|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Curley's wife want Lennie to touch in Chapter 5?
2. Who begins organizing a search to find Lennie?
3. Who is the first to see what has happened, regarding the shooting at the end of the book?
4. What causes Lennie to panic around Curley's wife in Chapter 5?
5. When Lennie apologizes to the first image, what does he say he tried to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Curley's wife insult when she walks into Crooks' room?
2. What does George ask of Curley after they have discovered what has happened?
3. What story does Lennie make George repeat to him while they sit together in the brush in the final chapter?
4. Where does Crooks, the black ranch hand, live on the ranch?
5. What does Lennie do after he comes out of the brush from hiding, after his confrontation with Curley's Wife?
6. Has George ever been mad at Lennie, according to George's words?
7. What does Candy do when he comes into Crooks' room for a visit?
8. What does Crooks talk about when Lennie continues to bring up the rabbits in Chapter 4?
9. What does George do with the gun in Chapter 6?
10. What does George pull out of his pocket in Chapter 6, while sitting with Lennie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George and Lennie have been talking about their dream for a while when George finally realizes that it could actually come true. But in the end, it doesn't. Do you think that their dream was ever going to come true? Do you think that George ever really believed it would come true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Once Lennie and George share their dream with the others, other men on the farm ask if they can come along and work for them. In a sense, these men will never be "free" in that situation, so how does living with Lennie and George become a better plan for them? How will these men benefit from the arrangement? How would Lennie and George benefit?
Essay Topic 3
Curley's wife is certainly an intriguing character in the book, but she seems to be stirring up more trouble than she realizes. When she insults the men as they are gathering in Crooks' room, what is she gaining from doing so? Why does she taunt Crooks? What is her purpose in the story, for that matter? Does she bring her own ending upon herself?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)