|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crooks say about migrant workers who want to own a ranch?
2. Who tells George, "Never you mind. A guy got to sometimes"?
3. What does George assure Lennie in Chapter 6?
4. What does Lennie do when Curley's wife begins to scream and yell?
5. To whom does George lie in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George ask of Curley after they have discovered what has happened?
2. When Crooks tells Curley's wife to leave his room, what happens?
3. What does George think the men should do about Lennie, after they discover what he did to Curley's wife?
4. What does Lennie do after his confrontation with Curley's wife?
5. Who does Curley's wife insult when she walks into Crooks' room?
6. What story does Crooks share with Lennie in Chapter 4?
7. Lennie cries out George's name while hiding in the brush in Chapter 6. What is George's response?
8. Why does Crooks live in a separate space than the rest of the men?
9. Has George ever been mad at Lennie, according to George's words?
10. What does George do with the gun in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Curley's wife is certainly an intriguing character in the book, but she seems to be stirring up more trouble than she realizes. When she insults the men as they are gathering in Crooks' room, what is she gaining from doing so? Why does she taunt Crooks? What is her purpose in the story, for that matter? Does she bring her own ending upon herself?
Essay Topic 2
Again and again, Lennie and George are asked why they are so close, and George always gets defensive about their relationship. Why do you think George sticks up for Lennie again and again? Why does George continue to travel with Lennie, even with all of the trouble that has happened along the way?
Essay Topic 3
George seems to be a very careful person, someone who is concerned about cleanliness and appearances. Why do you think George is this way? What purpose does this cleanliness serve to George and to Lennie? Is there an ulterior motive for George or is it something that might be a mental defect for him as well? Explain each of your answers.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)