|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lennie pick up before he runs away from the barn in Chapter 5?
2. Why did Curley's wife say she married Curley?
3. Who is the first to see what has happened, regarding the shooting at the end of the book?
4. Who says in Chapter 4 that he really doesn't want to work for Candy?
5. What does Lennie ask he object(s) he is starting at in the barn at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once Lennie and George share their dream with the others, other men on the farm ask if they can come along and work for them. In a sense, these men will never be "free" in that situation, so how does living with Lennie and George become a better plan for them? How will these men benefit from the arrangement? How would Lennie and George benefit?
Essay Topic 2
George seems to be a very careful person, someone who is concerned about cleanliness and appearances. Why do you think George is this way? What purpose does this cleanliness serve to George and to Lennie? Is there an ulterior motive for George or is it something that might be a mental defect for him as well? Explain each of your answers.
Essay Topic 3
George warns Lennie about the puppies several times in the story - they're too young, they need to be with their mother, etc. Do you think that George was worried Lennie might hurt the puppies? Why or why not? Are there any signs that Lennie is going to hurt the puppies before he actually does?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)