|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches George and the individual leading him away at the end of the book?
2. Who says in Chapter 4 that he really doesn't want to work for Candy?
3. Why does Crooks live where he does?
4. To whom does George lie in Chapter 6?
5. What does George repeat to Lennie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George pull out of his pocket in Chapter 6, while sitting with Lennie?
2. What does George do with the gun in Chapter 6?
3. Has George ever been mad at Lennie, according to George's words?
4. Why did Curley's wife even marry Curley in the first place?
5. What has happened to the puppy that Lennie talks to in Chapter 5?
6. What does Crooks say to Lennie in Chapter 4 to upset him?
7. When Crooks tells Curley's wife to leave his room, what happens?
8. What story does Lennie make George repeat to him while they sit together in the brush in the final chapter?
9. What does Lennie do after he comes out of the brush from hiding, after his confrontation with Curley's Wife?
10. Describe Curley's wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Again and again, Lennie and George are asked why they are so close, and George always gets defensive about their relationship. Why do you think George sticks up for Lennie again and again? Why does George continue to travel with Lennie, even with all of the trouble that has happened along the way?
Essay Topic 2
Soledad, California is the setting of this story, and the background seems to be as much a character as the humans who take part in the action. Why do you think that Steinbeck chose this setting for the story? How does the story help or hurt the characters?
Essay Topic 3
George seems to be a very careful person, someone who is concerned about cleanliness and appearances. Why do you think George is this way? What purpose does this cleanliness serve to George and to Lennie? Is there an ulterior motive for George or is it something that might be a mental defect for him as well? Explain each of your answers.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)