|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As two individuals watch George being led away at the end of the book, what are they wondering?
2. What does Crooks do when Candy comes into his room at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What do George and the other men decide to do with Lennie after his confrontation with Curley's wife?
4. What does Lennie do when Curley's wife begins to scream and yell?
5. What happens to Curley's wife in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Curley's wife.
2. At the end of the book, what does George say happened to Lennie?
3. What story does Lennie make George repeat to him while they sit together in the brush in the final chapter?
4. What does Crooks say to Lennie in Chapter 4 to upset him?
5. What does George say when Lennie asks if he will leave him in Chapter 6?
6. Who is the first image that appears to Lennie as he is sitting in the brush in Chapter 6?
7. Why did Curley's wife even marry Curley in the first place?
8. What does Curley's wife share with Lennie in the barn?
9. What does the rabbit image say to Lennie in Chapter 6?
10. What does Candy do when he comes into Crooks' room for a visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George speaks for Lennie when the boss first meets them. Why do you think George does this? What do you think the boss thinks about George speaking for Lennie all the time? Is there another way that George might be able to handle Lennie in these situations?
Essay Topic 2
When Lennie kills Curley's wife, he immediately realizes that he has done something wrong. In many legal defenses, that would be proof enough that someone could be tried for a crime, even if they were also mentally challenged. That said, how do you think Lennie would do if he were on trial for this murder? Would he be convicted? Why or why not? What could a lawyer present in his defense?
Essay Topic 3
George used to play jokes on Lennie but not anymore after one incident in which Lennie nearly drowned. That said, why do you think George played tricks on Lennie in the first place? There are several possible reasons, so explain each in terms of how George may have benefited from the trick.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)