|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lennie do after his confrontation with Curley's wife suddenly ends?
2. What causes Lennie to panic around Curley's wife in Chapter 5?
3. Who is said to look 'simple and pretty now' in Chapter 5?
4. What happens when Curley's wife says something horrible that she can have done to Crooks?
5. Why do the other men run into the clearing in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George think the men should do about Lennie, after they discover what he did to Curley's wife?
2. Why did Curley's wife even marry Curley in the first place?
3. What does George say when Lennie asks if he will leave him in Chapter 6?
4. What does Candy do when he comes into Crooks' room for a visit?
5. What has happened to the puppy that Lennie talks to in Chapter 5?
6. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
7. What does George pull out of his pocket in Chapter 6, while sitting with Lennie?
8. What does George ask of Curley after they have discovered what has happened?
9. What does George do with the gun in Chapter 6?
10. What was Crooks doing in the beginning of Chapter 4, before Lennie entered, and then again at the end of the chapter when he is alone again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George tells Lennie where to hide in the brush if they should get into trouble, but he tells him this before they go to the new ranch. What does his mean in terms of Lennie's past? Why does George plan for their escape ahead of time? How many other times do you think Lennie has been in trouble before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Lennie is absolutely fascinated by rabbits. He wants to have them as pets at the place where George and he will live. Why do you think that rabbits are so fascinating to Lennie? And for that matter, why is Lennie so fascinated with animals in general? What characteristics do animals and Lennie share?
Essay Topic 3
Crooks is an interesting character who keeps to himself and even has his own room. But while this seems like a privilege, we find out that it's because he's black. When you see the interaction between Crooks and the other workers, does it seem as though they would have a problem with his race? Why or why not? Does this group seem as though they could all live together? Why or why not? Why do you think Steinbeck kept everyone living separately?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)