|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Crooks try to get out of his room in Chapter 4?
2. What does George repeat to Lennie?
3. What does George do after assuring Lennie of something in Chapter 6?
4. How does Lennie respond to the dead animal/person in Chapter 5?
5. What does Crooks say about migrant workers who want to own a ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lennie cries out George's name while hiding in the brush in Chapter 6. What is George's response?
2. What does George think the men should do about Lennie, after they discover what he did to Curley's wife?
3. What does Lennie do after he comes out of the brush from hiding, after his confrontation with Curley's Wife?
4. What happens when Curley's wife offers to let Lennie stroke her soft hair?
5. At the end of the book, what does George say happened to Lennie?
6. What does Candy do when he comes into Crooks' room for a visit?
7. What has happened to the puppy that Lennie talks to in Chapter 5?
8. What does Lennie do after his confrontation with Curley's wife?
9. Why does Crooks live in a separate space than the rest of the men?
10. Who does Curley's wife insult when she walks into Crooks' room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George used to play jokes on Lennie but not anymore after one incident in which Lennie nearly drowned. That said, why do you think George played tricks on Lennie in the first place? There are several possible reasons, so explain each in terms of how George may have benefited from the trick.
Essay Topic 2
George and Lennie have been talking about their dream for a while when George finally realizes that it could actually come true. But in the end, it doesn't. Do you think that their dream was ever going to come true? Do you think that George ever really believed it would come true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Carlson seems to have a lot of trouble with the smell of Candy's dog, asking nearly everyone to convince Candy to shoot the dog. Why do you think that Carlson is so fixated on this dog? What other ways could Candy have dealt with the situation? What does it say about Candy that he allows someone else to shoot his dog?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)