|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Curley's wife try to flirt in Chapter 4?
2. What does George tell Lennie to do in Chapter 6?
3. How often is Crooks at the ranch?
4. Who walks out of the brush in the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What does Curley's wife tell Lennie in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Crooks, the black ranch hand, live on the ranch?
2. Who is the first image that appears to Lennie as he is sitting in the brush in Chapter 6?
3. Why does Crooks live in a separate space than the rest of the men?
4. What does George ask of Curley after they have discovered what has happened?
5. What was Crooks doing in the beginning of Chapter 4, before Lennie entered, and then again at the end of the chapter when he is alone again?
6. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
7. Lennie cries out George's name while hiding in the brush in Chapter 6. What is George's response?
8. What does the rabbit image say to Lennie in Chapter 6?
9. What does George think the men should do about Lennie, after they discover what he did to Curley's wife?
10. What happens when Curley's wife offers to let Lennie stroke her soft hair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Again and again, Lennie and George are asked why they are so close, and George always gets defensive about their relationship. Why do you think George sticks up for Lennie again and again? Why does George continue to travel with Lennie, even with all of the trouble that has happened along the way?
Essay Topic 2
Lennie is absolutely fascinated by rabbits. He wants to have them as pets at the place where George and he will live. Why do you think that rabbits are so fascinating to Lennie? And for that matter, why is Lennie so fascinated with animals in general? What characteristics do animals and Lennie share?
Essay Topic 3
George seems to be a very careful person, someone who is concerned about cleanliness and appearances. Why do you think George is this way? What purpose does this cleanliness serve to George and to Lennie? Is there an ulterior motive for George or is it something that might be a mental defect for him as well? Explain each of your answers.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)