|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lennie tell Curley's wife happened to the object(s) Lennie had been staring at in the barn at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. Why does Lennie go to Crooks' room?
3. What does Lennie tell Crooks in Chapter 4?
4. At the end of the book, where does George tell Lennie they are going?
5. To whom does George lie in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Candy say they should do about Lennie, after they discover what happened to Curley's wife?
2. What story does Crooks share with Lennie in Chapter 4?
3. Where does Crooks, the black ranch hand, live on the ranch?
4. What does Crooks talk about when Lennie continues to bring up the rabbits in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Crooks live in a separate space than the rest of the men?
6. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
7. What happens when Lennie realizes that George will figure it out that Lennie has killed the puppy?
8. What was Crooks doing in the beginning of Chapter 4, before Lennie entered, and then again at the end of the chapter when he is alone again?
9. What story does Lennie make George repeat to him while they sit together in the brush in the final chapter?
10. What does Crooks say to Lennie in Chapter 4 to upset him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George and Lennie have been talking about their dream for a while when George finally realizes that it could actually come true. But in the end, it doesn't. Do you think that their dream was ever going to come true? Do you think that George ever really believed it would come true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
George seems to be a very careful person, someone who is concerned about cleanliness and appearances. Why do you think George is this way? What purpose does this cleanliness serve to George and to Lennie? Is there an ulterior motive for George or is it something that might be a mental defect for him as well? Explain each of your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Crooks is an interesting character who keeps to himself and even has his own room. But while this seems like a privilege, we find out that it's because he's black. When you see the interaction between Crooks and the other workers, does it seem as though they would have a problem with his race? Why or why not? Does this group seem as though they could all live together? Why or why not? Why do you think Steinbeck kept everyone living separately?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)