|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who walks out of the brush in Chapter 6 and asks Lennie why he is yelling?
2. What does the first image Lennie saw in Chapter 6 think will happen if Lennie gets rabbits?
3. Why do the other men run into the clearing in Chapter 6?
4. What does Crooks talk about again and again?
5. What happens to Curley's wife in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Crooks share with Lennie in Chapter 4?
2. Has George ever been mad at Lennie, according to George's words?
3. What does George think the men should do about Lennie, after they discover what he did to Curley's wife?
4. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
5. At the end of the book, what does George say happened to Lennie?
6. Who does Curley's wife insult when she walks into Crooks' room?
7. What does Curley's wife share with Lennie in the barn?
8. When Crooks tells Curley's wife to leave his room, what happens?
9. Who is the first image that appears to Lennie as he is sitting in the brush in Chapter 6?
10. What was Crooks doing in the beginning of Chapter 4, before Lennie entered, and then again at the end of the chapter when he is alone again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Curley's wife is certainly an intriguing character in the book, but she seems to be stirring up more trouble than she realizes. When she insults the men as they are gathering in Crooks' room, what is she gaining from doing so? Why does she taunt Crooks? What is her purpose in the story, for that matter? Does she bring her own ending upon herself?
Essay Topic 2
Once Lennie and George share their dream with the others, other men on the farm ask if they can come along and work for them. In a sense, these men will never be "free" in that situation, so how does living with Lennie and George become a better plan for them? How will these men benefit from the arrangement? How would Lennie and George benefit?
Essay Topic 3
Again and again, Lennie and George are asked why they are so close, and George always gets defensive about their relationship. Why do you think George sticks up for Lennie again and again? Why does George continue to travel with Lennie, even with all of the trouble that has happened along the way?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)