|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins organizing a search to find Lennie?
2. Who wants to kill Lennie?
3. In Chapter 5, who/what does Lennie blame for dying?
4. What does Curley's wife call the men in Crooks' room?
5. Candy says that they should do what with Lennie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has George ever been mad at Lennie, according to George's words?
2. What does Lennie do after he comes out of the brush from hiding, after his confrontation with Curley's Wife?
3. Why did Curley's wife even marry Curley in the first place?
4. What does Candy say they should do about Lennie, after they discover what happened to Curley's wife?
5. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
6. When Crooks tells Curley's wife to leave his room, what happens?
7. What does Candy do when he comes into Crooks' room for a visit?
8. Who does Curley's wife insult when she walks into Crooks' room?
9. What story does Lennie make George repeat to him while they sit together in the brush in the final chapter?
10. Lennie cries out George's name while hiding in the brush in Chapter 6. What is George's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George tells Lennie where to hide in the brush if they should get into trouble, but he tells him this before they go to the new ranch. What does his mean in terms of Lennie's past? Why does George plan for their escape ahead of time? How many other times do you think Lennie has been in trouble before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
George and Lennie have been talking about their dream for a while when George finally realizes that it could actually come true. But in the end, it doesn't. Do you think that their dream was ever going to come true? Do you think that George ever really believed it would come true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When George kills Lennie, it's a shock to some readers. After all of George's devotion and loyalty, this seems like a final act of betrayal. Why do you think George killed Lennie? Do you think this killing was the right thing to do? Why did George lie about what happened with Lennie? What do you think happens to George after the book ends?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)