|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Crooks doing at the beginning and end of Chapter 4?
2. Why does Crooks live where he does?
3. Where is someone shot Chapter 6?
4. What does Lennie talk about again and again?
5. Who watches George and the individual leading him away at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George ask of Curley after they have discovered what has happened?
2. What does Lennie do after his confrontation with Curley's wife?
3. What does George do with the gun in Chapter 6?
4. When Crooks tells Curley's wife to leave his room, what happens?
5. At the end of the book, what does George say happened to Lennie?
6. What does George pull out of his pocket in Chapter 6, while sitting with Lennie?
7. Has George ever been mad at Lennie, according to George's words?
8. Who does Curley's wife insult when she walks into Crooks' room?
9. Lennie cries out George's name while hiding in the brush in Chapter 6. What is George's response?
10. Describe Curley's wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George seems to be a very careful person, someone who is concerned about cleanliness and appearances. Why do you think George is this way? What purpose does this cleanliness serve to George and to Lennie? Is there an ulterior motive for George or is it something that might be a mental defect for him as well? Explain each of your answers.
Essay Topic 2
George doesn't want Curley to shoot Lennie, even though he's done a horrific thing. Why do you think George wants to keep Lennie alive? Does it seem that George blames Lennie for what he has done or do you think he believes it's Curley's wife's fault? Why or why not? This act of stopping Lennie from being killed seems merciful, but is it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Curley attacks Lennie, Lennie doesn't defend himself, even though he is much bigger and stronger. This seems a contradiction as Lennie does appear to have violent tendencies. Why do you think the Lennie didn't defend himself? Should he have fought back? Why or why not? And why did Lennie eventually break Curley's hand?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)