|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George do after assuring Lennie of something in Chapter 6?
2. Why is Crooks excited to have Lennie in his room?
3. What does Crooks do when Candy comes into his room at the end of Chapter 4?
4. Candy says that they should do what with Lennie?
5. Why does a specific individual not want to work for Candy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Candy do when he comes into Crooks' room for a visit?
2. What was Crooks doing in the beginning of Chapter 4, before Lennie entered, and then again at the end of the chapter when he is alone again?
3. At the end of the book, what does George say happened to Lennie?
4. Where does Crooks, the black ranch hand, live on the ranch?
5. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
6. What happens when Lennie realizes that George will figure it out that Lennie has killed the puppy?
7. When Crooks tells Curley's wife to leave his room, what happens?
8. Lennie cries out George's name while hiding in the brush in Chapter 6. What is George's response?
9. Why did Curley's wife even marry Curley in the first place?
10. What does Lennie do after his confrontation with Curley's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lennie is a man who appears to be very strong but also mentally disabled. This affliction affects his ability to make decisions and to understand when he is causing someone pain. At the same time, he is also able to remember the story of the plans George and he have for a ranch of their own. Does this ability to recall these kinds of details show that Lennie may not be as mentally challenged as one might think? Why or why not? What other proof is there that Lennie is smarter than he lets on?
Essay Topic 2
When Curley attacks Lennie, Lennie doesn't defend himself, even though he is much bigger and stronger. This seems a contradiction as Lennie does appear to have violent tendencies. Why do you think the Lennie didn't defend himself? Should he have fought back? Why or why not? And why did Lennie eventually break Curley's hand?
Essay Topic 3
Again and again, Lennie and George are asked why they are so close, and George always gets defensive about their relationship. Why do you think George sticks up for Lennie again and again? Why does George continue to travel with Lennie, even with all of the trouble that has happened along the way?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)