|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Curley have on his left hand?
2. About what time is it at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. Where were George and Lennie working before Chapter 1?
4. What is the river that runs through the story's setting?
5. Who kills the dog that stinks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Candy say to them when Lennie and George first arrive at the ranch?
2. What does the boss look like?
3. Why does the boss become suspicious of George's story as to why he and Lennie are late to start their new jobs?
4. What happened when George tried to impress a bunch of men once in the past by making Lennie do something?
5. What does the ranch's bunkhouse look like?
6. Where did Lennie and George work before this new job in Chapter 1?
7. What does George say to Slim in confidence in Chapter 3?
8. How does George respond when the boss asks them why they were late getting to their job in Chapter 2?
9. What does Slim say about Lennie when they return to the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
10. How does George describe the piece of property that he and Lennie are planning to buy someday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lennie is a man who appears to be very strong but also mentally disabled. This affliction affects his ability to make decisions and to understand when he is causing someone pain. At the same time, he is also able to remember the story of the plans George and he have for a ranch of their own. Does this ability to recall these kinds of details show that Lennie may not be as mentally challenged as one might think? Why or why not? What other proof is there that Lennie is smarter than he lets on?
Essay Topic 2
Carlson seems to have a lot of trouble with the smell of Candy's dog, asking nearly everyone to convince Candy to shoot the dog. Why do you think that Carlson is so fixated on this dog? What other ways could Candy have dealt with the situation? What does it say about Candy that he allows someone else to shoot his dog?
Essay Topic 3
George tells Lennie where to hide in the brush if they should get into trouble, but he tells him this before they go to the new ranch. What does his mean in terms of Lennie's past? Why does George plan for their escape ahead of time? How many other times do you think Lennie has been in trouble before? Why or why not?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)