|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Lennie not to pet the puppies too much?
2. What does Curley have on his left hand?
3. Whose dog stinks?
4. At the end of Chapter 1, what does George tell Lennie to do if he gets into trouble?
5. How does Candy describe the boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men say about Curley's wife?
2. What does George say in response to the boss' suspicion about why he answers for Lennie?
3. How could Lennie's mental state be described?
4. Why don't George and Lennie go to the ranch the first night?
5. Why does Curley wear a glove on his left hand?
6. What does Slim say about Lennie when they return to the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
7. What does Lennie have in his pocket in Chapter 1?
8. What does the ranch's bunkhouse look like?
9. Why is Lennie not smart, according to George when he talks to the boss?
10. What happened when George tried to impress a bunch of men once in the past by making Lennie do something?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The incident in Weed resulted in Lennie and George having to leave, but why didn't they fight back and tell the truth about what happened? Why didn't they let the others know that Lennie didn't try to rape her? Why did they simply choose to run away? Was this the best choice for them?
Essay Topic 2
George used to play jokes on Lennie but not anymore after one incident in which Lennie nearly drowned. That said, why do you think George played tricks on Lennie in the first place? There are several possible reasons, so explain each in terms of how George may have benefited from the trick.
Essay Topic 3
Carlson seems to have a lot of trouble with the smell of Candy's dog, asking nearly everyone to convince Candy to shoot the dog. Why do you think that Carlson is so fixated on this dog? What other ways could Candy have dealt with the situation? What does it say about Candy that he allows someone else to shoot his dog?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)