|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what time is it at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. What is the setting of the story?
3. In Chapter 2, why has Curley been worse in the last few weeks?
4. What mountains are visible in the area in Chapter 1?
5. Who is capable of driving 20 mules with a single line?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the boss become suspicious of George's story as to why he and Lennie are late to start their new jobs?
2. Describe the character of Lennie in the first scene of the novel.
3. How does George respond when the boss asks them why they were late getting to their job in Chapter 2?
4. As Lennie and George are walking along as the book begnins, what does George complain about?
5. Why does Curley wear a glove on his left hand?
6. What happened when George tried to impress a bunch of men once in the past by making Lennie do something?
7. Why don't George and Lennie go to the ranch the first night?
8. How does George describe the piece of property that he and Lennie are planning to buy someday?
9. What happens when Slim comments on the relationship between George and Lennie?
10. What does Slim say about Lennie when they return to the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Curley's wife is certainly an intriguing character in the book, but she seems to be stirring up more trouble than she realizes. When she insults the men as they are gathering in Crooks' room, what is she gaining from doing so? Why does she taunt Crooks? What is her purpose in the story, for that matter? Does she bring her own ending upon herself?
Essay Topic 2
When Curley attacks Lennie, Lennie doesn't defend himself, even though he is much bigger and stronger. This seems a contradiction as Lennie does appear to have violent tendencies. Why do you think the Lennie didn't defend himself? Should he have fought back? Why or why not? And why did Lennie eventually break Curley's hand?
Essay Topic 3
Once Lennie and George share their dream with the others, other men on the farm ask if they can come along and work for them. In a sense, these men will never be "free" in that situation, so how does living with Lennie and George become a better plan for them? How will these men benefit from the arrangement? How would Lennie and George benefit?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)