Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not bright, but is a good worker?
2. Where does Lennie say he should live?
3. Where are George and Lennie going to work in Chapter 1?
4. What does George tell Lennie he is glad of in Chapter 2?
5. What happened in Weed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Slim say about Lennie when they return to the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
2. What does Crooks talk about when Lennie continues to bring up the rabbits in Chapter 4?
3. Where does Crooks, the black ranch hand, live on the ranch?
4. What does George do with the gun in Chapter 6?
5. Where did Lennie and George work before this new job in Chapter 1?
6. How does Candy describe the boss at the ranch?
7. Why don't George and Lennie go to the ranch the first night?
8. How does George respond when the boss asks them why they were late getting to their job in Chapter 2?
9. What happens when Carlson complains about the smell of Candy's dog?
10. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
Soledad, California is the setting of this story, and the background seems to be as much a character as the humans who take part in the action. Why do you think that Steinbeck chose this setting for the story? How does the story help or hurt the characters?
George warns Lennie about the puppies several times in the story - they're too young, they need to be with their mother, etc. Do you think that George was worried Lennie might hurt the puppies? Why or why not? Are there any signs that Lennie is going to hurt the puppies before he actually does?
Carlson seems to have a lot of trouble with the smell of Candy's dog, asking nearly everyone to convince Candy to shoot the dog. Why do you think that Carlson is so fixated on this dog? What other ways could Candy have dealt with the situation? What does it say about Candy that he allows someone else to shoot his dog?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)