|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does George confide in about what happened in Weed?
2. What does Chapter 2 start off describing?
3. Why did Aunt Clara stop giving Lennie mice?
4. Whose dog stinks?
5. How much work can Lennie generally accomplish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boss look like?
2. Why does the boss become suspicious of George's story as to why he and Lennie are late to start their new jobs?
3. What happens when Carlson complains about the smell of Candy's dog?
4. What does George explain to Lennie as they are walking in the beginning of the book? What are they doing?
5. Why don't George and Lennie go to the ranch the first night?
6. How does Candy describe the boss at the ranch?
7. How does George describe the piece of property that he and Lennie are planning to buy someday?
8. What happened when George tried to impress a bunch of men once in the past by making Lennie do something?
9. What does Slim say about Lennie when they return to the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
10. Why is Lennie not smart, according to George when he talks to the boss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George and Lennie have been talking about their dream for a while when George finally realizes that it could actually come true. But in the end, it doesn't. Do you think that their dream was ever going to come true? Do you think that George ever really believed it would come true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Soledad, California is the setting of this story, and the background seems to be as much a character as the humans who take part in the action. Why do you think that Steinbeck chose this setting for the story? How does the story help or hurt the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Curley's wife is certainly an intriguing character in the book, but she seems to be stirring up more trouble than she realizes. When she insults the men as they are gathering in Crooks' room, what is she gaining from doing so? Why does she taunt Crooks? What is her purpose in the story, for that matter? Does she bring her own ending upon herself?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)