|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George warn Lennie will make him sick?
2. What proves the boss is not a not a laborer?
3. What does Slim call Lennie in Chapter 3?
4. Whose dog is the one that smells?
5. Who returns to the bunkhouse at dusk in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at the ranch in Weed while George and Lennie worked there?
2. Why don't George and Lennie go to the ranch the first night?
3. What does George say to Slim in confidence in Chapter 3?
4. What does George say in response to the boss' suspicion about why he answers for Lennie?
5. What does the ranch's bunkhouse look like?
6. What happens when Slim comments on the relationship between George and Lennie?
7. How does George describe the piece of property that he and Lennie are planning to buy someday?
8. Describe the character of George in the first scene of the novel.
9. What disturbs George when he looks at his bed's box shelf?
10. Why does the boss become suspicious of George's story as to why he and Lennie are late to start their new jobs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George tells Lennie where to hide in the brush if they should get into trouble, but he tells him this before they go to the new ranch. What does his mean in terms of Lennie's past? Why does George plan for their escape ahead of time? How many other times do you think Lennie has been in trouble before? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Lennie is a man who appears to be very strong but also mentally disabled. This affliction affects his ability to make decisions and to understand when he is causing someone pain. At the same time, he is also able to remember the story of the plans George and he have for a ranch of their own. Does this ability to recall these kinds of details show that Lennie may not be as mentally challenged as one might think? Why or why not? What other proof is there that Lennie is smarter than he lets on?
Essay Topic 3
Carlson seems to have a lot of trouble with the smell of Candy's dog, asking nearly everyone to convince Candy to shoot the dog. Why do you think that Carlson is so fixated on this dog? What other ways could Candy have dealt with the situation? What does it say about Candy that he allows someone else to shoot his dog?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)