|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Curley have inside the objective on his left hand?
2. What is Lennie doing when he comes into the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Lennie say he should live?
4. In Chapter 2, what does George say he will find out?
5. In Chapter 3, who repeats the comment that Lennie is not bright, but is a good worker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lennie have in his pocket in Chapter 1?
2. What do the men say about Curley's wife?
3. How could Lennie's mental state be described?
4. What does George explain to Lennie as they are walking in the beginning of the book? What are they doing?
5. What disturbs George when he looks at his bed's box shelf?
6. What does George say to Slim in confidence in Chapter 3?
7. Who has been playing cards with Crooks, the old black ranch hand?
8. Describe the character of George in the first scene of the novel.
9. What happens when Slim comments on the relationship between George and Lennie?
10. What does Lennie do when he brings the puppy back to the bunkhouse? What does George do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George and Lennie talk constantly about having a place of their own. Besides getting out of having to work for other people, what other reasons do you think they have for owning their own place? What makes this the dream they come back to again and again when they are upset? What would this new place do for them?
Essay Topic 2
When George kills Lennie, it's a shock to some readers. After all of George's devotion and loyalty, this seems like a final act of betrayal. Why do you think George killed Lennie? Do you think this killing was the right thing to do? Why did George lie about what happened with Lennie? What do you think happens to George after the book ends?
Essay Topic 3
George tells Lennie where to hide in the brush if they should get into trouble, but he tells him this before they go to the new ranch. What does his mean in terms of Lennie's past? Why does George plan for their escape ahead of time? How many other times do you think Lennie has been in trouble before? Why or why not?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)