|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is not bright, but is a good worker?
2. Where were George and Lennie working before Chapter 1?
3. Where did George and Lennie hide when they left Weed?
4. Who is called a 'tart'?
5. Curley's wife wears what when she enters the bunkhouse in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George describe the piece of property that he and Lennie are planning to buy someday?
2. What does George explain to Lennie as they are walking in the beginning of the book? What are they doing?
3. What does George say in response to the boss' suspicion about why he answers for Lennie?
4. What does Slim say about Lennie when they return to the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
5. Describe the character of Lennie in the first scene of the novel.
6. How does George respond when the boss asks them why they were late getting to their job in Chapter 2?
7. What does George say to Slim in confidence in Chapter 3?
8. What does George tell Lennie about the water in Chapter 1?
9. What does Lennie have in his pocket in Chapter 1?
10. Describe the area of Soledad, California.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Curley's wife is certainly an intriguing character in the book, but she seems to be stirring up more trouble than she realizes. When she insults the men as they are gathering in Crooks' room, what is she gaining from doing so? Why does she taunt Crooks? What is her purpose in the story, for that matter? Does she bring her own ending upon herself?
Essay Topic 2
George doesn't want Curley to shoot Lennie, even though he's done a horrific thing. Why do you think George wants to keep Lennie alive? Does it seem that George blames Lennie for what he has done or do you think he believes it's Curley's wife's fault? Why or why not? This act of stopping Lennie from being killed seems merciful, but is it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Again and again, Lennie and George are asked why they are so close, and George always gets defensive about their relationship. Why do you think George sticks up for Lennie again and again? Why does George continue to travel with Lennie, even with all of the trouble that has happened along the way?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)