|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George tell Lennie to do when they are eating by the fire in Chapter 1?
2. Who says he prefers prostitutes because he knows upfront how much it's going to cost him?
3. Who has George known since childhood?
4. In Chapter 2, what does George say he will find out?
5. What did George used to do to Lennie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Curley wear a glove on his left hand?
2. What does George explain to Lennie as they are walking in the beginning of the book? What are they doing?
3. What does George say to Slim in confidence in Chapter 3?
4. Where did Lennie and George work before this new job in Chapter 1?
5. What happened when George tried to impress a bunch of men once in the past by making Lennie do something?
6. What happens when Slim comments on the relationship between George and Lennie?
7. What does Slim say about Lennie when they return to the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
8. What does George tell Lennie about the water in Chapter 1?
9. How could Lennie's mental state be described?
10. What does George say in response to the boss' suspicion about why he answers for Lennie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George used to play jokes on Lennie but not anymore after one incident in which Lennie nearly drowned. That said, why do you think George played tricks on Lennie in the first place? There are several possible reasons, so explain each in terms of how George may have benefited from the trick.
Essay Topic 2
George seems to be a very careful person, someone who is concerned about cleanliness and appearances. Why do you think George is this way? What purpose does this cleanliness serve to George and to Lennie? Is there an ulterior motive for George or is it something that might be a mental defect for him as well? Explain each of your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The incident in Weed resulted in Lennie and George having to leave, but why didn't they fight back and tell the truth about what happened? Why didn't they let the others know that Lennie didn't try to rape her? Why did they simply choose to run away? Was this the best choice for them?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)