|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lennie want to get to the ranch that evening in the first chapter?
2. What is the setting of the story?
3. Who is mentally disabled?
4. Where does Lennie say he should live?
5. What is Lennie holding as he walks in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Curley's wife share with Lennie in the barn?
2. What does George say when Lennie asks if he will leave him in Chapter 6?
3. How does George respond when the boss asks them why they were late getting to their job in Chapter 2?
4. What story does Crooks share with Lennie in Chapter 4?
5. Describe the character of George in the first scene of the novel.
6. Why does the boss become suspicious of George's story as to why he and Lennie are late to start their new jobs?
7. What does George think the men should do about Lennie, after they discover what he did to Curley's wife?
8. Who is the first image that appears to Lennie as he is sitting in the brush in Chapter 6?
9. What happens when Slim comments on the relationship between George and Lennie?
10. Has George ever been mad at Lennie, according to George's words?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Curley attacks Lennie, Lennie doesn't defend himself, even though he is much bigger and stronger. This seems a contradiction as Lennie does appear to have violent tendencies. Why do you think the Lennie didn't defend himself? Should he have fought back? Why or why not? And why did Lennie eventually break Curley's hand?
Essay Topic 2
Soledad, California is the setting of this story, and the background seems to be as much a character as the humans who take part in the action. Why do you think that Steinbeck chose this setting for the story? How does the story help or hurt the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Lennie is absolutely fascinated by rabbits. He wants to have them as pets at the place where George and he will live. Why do you think that rabbits are so fascinating to Lennie? And for that matter, why is Lennie so fascinated with animals in general? What characteristics do animals and Lennie share?
This section contains 1,826 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)