|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Curley hate big men?
2. Who is referred to as 'jail bait all set on the trigger'?
3. Which man in Chapter 1 is huge and pale?
4. What were the men in Weed going to do to Lennie?
5. Who has been playing horseshoes with Crooks in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Lennie make George repeat to him while they sit together in the brush in the final chapter?
2. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
3. Describe the character of Lennie in the first scene of the novel.
4. What disturbs George when he looks at his bed's box shelf?
5. How could Lennie's mental state be described?
6. What do the men say about Curley's wife?
7. Why did Curley's wife even marry Curley in the first place?
8. Why does Crooks live in a separate space than the rest of the men?
9. What does Crooks say to Lennie in Chapter 4 to upset him?
10. What does Curley's wife share with Lennie in the barn?
Essay Topic 1
George seems to be a very careful person, someone who is concerned about cleanliness and appearances. Why do you think George is this way? What purpose does this cleanliness serve to George and to Lennie? Is there an ulterior motive for George or is it something that might be a mental defect for him as well? Explain each of your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Again and again, Lennie and George are asked why they are so close, and George always gets defensive about their relationship. Why do you think George sticks up for Lennie again and again? Why does George continue to travel with Lennie, even with all of the trouble that has happened along the way?
Essay Topic 3
George and Lennie have been talking about their dream for a while when George finally realizes that it could actually come true. But in the end, it doesn't. Do you think that their dream was ever going to come true? Do you think that George ever really believed it would come true? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)