|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George tell Lennie not to do with the boss?
2. Who is referred to as 'jail bait all set on the trigger'?
3. What does Curley have inside the objective on his left hand?
4. Who is the boss' son?
5. About what time is it at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could Lennie's mental state be described?
2. As Lennie and George are walking along as the book begnins, what does George complain about?
3. What does Curley's wife share with Lennie in the barn?
4. Describe the character of George in the first scene of the novel.
5. How does George describe the piece of property that he and Lennie are planning to buy someday?
6. What does George ask of Curley after they have discovered what has happened?
7. What does George explain to Lennie as they are walking in the beginning of the book? What are they doing?
8. Describe the area of Soledad, California.
9. What happens when Curley's wife offers to let Lennie stroke her soft hair?
10. What does Candy say to them when Lennie and George first arrive at the ranch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lennie kills Curley's wife, he immediately realizes that he has done something wrong. In many legal defenses, that would be proof enough that someone could be tried for a crime, even if they were also mentally challenged. That said, how do you think Lennie would do if he were on trial for this murder? Would he be convicted? Why or why not? What could a lawyer present in his defense?
Essay Topic 2
Again and again, Lennie and George are asked why they are so close, and George always gets defensive about their relationship. Why do you think George sticks up for Lennie again and again? Why does George continue to travel with Lennie, even with all of the trouble that has happened along the way?
Essay Topic 3
George warns Lennie about the puppies several times in the story - they're too young, they need to be with their mother, etc. Do you think that George was worried Lennie might hurt the puppies? Why or why not? Are there any signs that Lennie is going to hurt the puppies before he actually does?
This section contains 1,841 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)