|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hopes George and Lennie are placed on his barley bucking team?
2. Who is the boss' son?
3. How did Lennie scare a girl in the last town he worked in prior to the beginning of the book?
4. What is Lennie doing when he comes into the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 2, what does George say he will find out?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Lennie and George are walking along as the book begnins, what does George complain about?
2. What happens when Slim comments on the relationship between George and Lennie?
3. Why does the boss become suspicious of George's story as to why he and Lennie are late to start their new jobs?
4. What does Lennie do when he brings the puppy back to the bunkhouse? What does George do?
5. What disturbs George when he looks at his bed's box shelf?
6. What does the boss look like?
7. What do the men say about Curley's wife?
8. Describe the character of Lennie in the first scene of the novel.
9. How could Lennie's mental state be described?
10. What does George say to Slim in confidence in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George and Lennie have been talking about their dream for a while when George finally realizes that it could actually come true. But in the end, it doesn't. Do you think that their dream was ever going to come true? Do you think that George ever really believed it would come true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
George speaks for Lennie when the boss first meets them. Why do you think George does this? What do you think the boss thinks about George speaking for Lennie all the time? Is there another way that George might be able to handle Lennie in these situations?
Essay Topic 3
George and Lennie talk constantly about having a place of their own. Besides getting out of having to work for other people, what other reasons do you think they have for owning their own place? What makes this the dream they come back to again and again when they are upset? What would this new place do for them?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)