|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George tell Lennie to do when they are eating by the fire in Chapter 1?
2. Where did Lennie and George have to hide after Lennie scared a girl?
3. Who is capable of driving 20 mules with a single line?
4. Which man in Chapter 1 is small, dark, and quick?
5. What does Curley want to know from George in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George explain to Lennie as they are walking in the beginning of the book? What are they doing?
2. What does George say to Slim in confidence in Chapter 3?
3. Describe the area of Soledad, California.
4. What does Lennie do when he brings the puppy back to the bunkhouse? What does George do?
5. Describe the character of Lennie in the first scene of the novel.
6. Why does the boss become suspicious of George's story as to why he and Lennie are late to start their new jobs?
7. Why does Curley wear a glove on his left hand?
8. How does George respond when the boss asks them why they were late getting to their job in Chapter 2?
9. Why is Lennie not smart, according to George when he talks to the boss?
10. How does George describe the piece of property that he and Lennie are planning to buy someday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George warns Lennie about the puppies several times in the story - they're too young, they need to be with their mother, etc. Do you think that George was worried Lennie might hurt the puppies? Why or why not? Are there any signs that Lennie is going to hurt the puppies before he actually does?
Essay Topic 2
George and Lennie talk constantly about having a place of their own. Besides getting out of having to work for other people, what other reasons do you think they have for owning their own place? What makes this the dream they come back to again and again when they are upset? What would this new place do for them?
Essay Topic 3
Lennie is absolutely fascinated by rabbits. He wants to have them as pets at the place where George and he will live. Why do you think that rabbits are so fascinating to Lennie? And for that matter, why is Lennie so fascinated with animals in general? What characteristics do animals and Lennie share?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)