|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George tell Lennie to do when they are eating by the fire in Chapter 1?
2. What does Curley want to know from George in Chapter 2?
3. Which man in Chapter 1 is huge and pale?
4. Who wishes he had shot his dog himself?
5. How much work can Lennie generally accomplish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Curley's wife.
2. What disturbs George when he looks at his bed's box shelf?
3. What does Lennie do after his confrontation with Curley's wife?
4. How does George respond when the boss asks them why they were late getting to their job in Chapter 2?
5. Why does the boss become suspicious of George's story as to why he and Lennie are late to start their new jobs?
6. What does Lennie do after he comes out of the brush from hiding, after his confrontation with Curley's Wife?
7. What does Slim say about Lennie when they return to the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
8. What do the men say about Curley's wife?
9. What happens when Lennie comes to visit Crooks in Chapter 4?
10. What was Crooks doing in the beginning of Chapter 4, before Lennie entered, and then again at the end of the chapter when he is alone again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Curley's wife is certainly an intriguing character in the book, but she seems to be stirring up more trouble than she realizes. When she insults the men as they are gathering in Crooks' room, what is she gaining from doing so? Why does she taunt Crooks? What is her purpose in the story, for that matter? Does she bring her own ending upon herself?
Essay Topic 2
George and Lennie talk constantly about having a place of their own. Besides getting out of having to work for other people, what other reasons do you think they have for owning their own place? What makes this the dream they come back to again and again when they are upset? What would this new place do for them?
Essay Topic 3
Again and again, Lennie and George are asked why they are so close, and George always gets defensive about their relationship. Why do you think George sticks up for Lennie again and again? Why does George continue to travel with Lennie, even with all of the trouble that has happened along the way?
This section contains 1,857 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)