|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the men in Weed going to do to Lennie?
2. What does George tell Lennie he is glad of in Chapter 2?
3. What did George once do to impress a bunch of men?
4. For how much does George think he can buy a place?
5. What is Lennie holding as he walks in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George describe the piece of property that he and Lennie are planning to buy someday?
2. What does Lennie do when he brings the puppy back to the bunkhouse? What does George do?
3. Why is Lennie not smart, according to George when he talks to the boss?
4. How could Lennie's mental state be described?
5. Describe the character of Lennie in the first scene of the novel.
6. Who does Curley's wife insult when she walks into Crooks' room?
7. What does Slim say about Lennie when they return to the bunkhouse in Chapter 3?
8. What does George explain to Lennie as they are walking in the beginning of the book? What are they doing?
9. Why does Curley wear a glove on his left hand?
10. Describe Curley's wife.
Essay Topic 1
George doesn't want Curley to shoot Lennie, even though he's done a horrific thing. Why do you think George wants to keep Lennie alive? Does it seem that George blames Lennie for what he has done or do you think he believes it's Curley's wife's fault? Why or why not? This act of stopping Lennie from being killed seems merciful, but is it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Again and again, Lennie and George are asked why they are so close, and George always gets defensive about their relationship. Why do you think George sticks up for Lennie again and again? Why does George continue to travel with Lennie, even with all of the trouble that has happened along the way?
Essay Topic 3
George warns Lennie about the puppies several times in the story - they're too young, they need to be with their mother, etc. Do you think that George was worried Lennie might hurt the puppies? Why or why not? Are there any signs that Lennie is going to hurt the puppies before he actually does?
This section contains 1,791 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)