|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mountains are visible in the area in Chapter 1?
2. Who kills the dog that stinks?
3. What will Lennie do when he lives in a house with George?
4. What does Slim call Lennie in Chapter 3?
5. What did the boss buy everyone at the ranch for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lennie not smart, according to George when he talks to the boss?
2. How does Candy describe the boss at the ranch?
3. What does George say to Slim in confidence in Chapter 3?
4. What does Lennie do when he brings the puppy back to the bunkhouse? What does George do?
5. How does George respond when the boss asks them why they were late getting to their job in Chapter 2?
6. How could Lennie's mental state be described?
7. What disturbs George when he looks at his bed's box shelf?
8. What does Lennie have in his pocket in Chapter 1?
9. How does George describe the piece of property that he and Lennie are planning to buy someday?
10. Describe the character of George in the first scene of the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George and Lennie have been talking about their dream for a while when George finally realizes that it could actually come true. But in the end, it doesn't. Do you think that their dream was ever going to come true? Do you think that George ever really believed it would come true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
George warns Lennie about the puppies several times in the story - they're too young, they need to be with their mother, etc. Do you think that George was worried Lennie might hurt the puppies? Why or why not? Are there any signs that Lennie is going to hurt the puppies before he actually does?
Essay Topic 3
George and Lennie talk constantly about having a place of their own. Besides getting out of having to work for other people, what other reasons do you think they have for owning their own place? What makes this the dream they come back to again and again when they are upset? What would this new place do for them?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)