|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bradford recounts the year 1623 The Sad Straits of ____'s men.
2. The man's plan was to do which of the following:
3. Another plague swept through the area, this time throughout the Indian community. Out of 1000 Indians, approximately ___ survived.
4. Conflict over the trade took place between which two tribes?
5. One letter stated that Allerton had gone so far with his treachery that there was no way ____ could be repaired.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the arrival of the Reverend Ralph Smith.
2. Discuss the petition to settle the conflict between the Dutch and the French. Who was in charge of examining and approving it?
3. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
4. Discuss the next conflict held between the Pilgrims and the French.
5. What happened to Massasoit during this time?
6. There was a tremendous hurricane that struck the colony in the middle of August. Explain the severity of the hurricane as well as Bradford's comments.
7. Discuss Weston's actions after the failure of Weston Plantation.
8. Weston continues to plague the Pilgrims with his underhanded tactics. Examine Weston's next move.
9. The Pilgrims had their share of dealing with unscrupulous men. Discuss this problem.
10. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Separatists' exodus from England to the Low Countries. Where are the Low Countries? What caused the Separatists to leave? In what city did the Separatists settle upon arriving in the country? What were the biggest obstacles? What was the collective impression of the group before leaving England? Was the impression correct? How were the Separatists greeted? Were there opportunities for the Separatists to make a living? If so, how? What was the thing about living in the new country? How did the Separatists deal with the language barrier?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast commonly accepted historical fact against the information provided in the book OF PLYMOUTH PLANTATION, 1620-1647 by William Bradford. Discuss possible discrepancies between accepted misconceptions and historical information as presented by Bradford. For example, modern society has painted a completely inaccurate picture of the first Thanksgiving. Choose at least five examples of misinformation.
Essay Topic 3
Bradford was elected governor of Plymouth Plantation 33 times. Discuss in detail the leadership of the colony, the position of governor, the responsibilities, and the election process. Was there anyone else that took as much responsibility as Bradford? Explain.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)