|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The governor of the plantation attempted to handle the situation with _____, an attempt that failed.
2. Stone managed to get the governor of Virginia drunk and ended up absconding with _____ pounds worth of provisions.
3. The Governor feared that the separation would bring about _____.
4. The Reverend Robinson died in which year?
5. Plymouth Plantation flourished. People began to spread out and soon it became necessary for the people to start their own ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss "The Strange Proceedings of Mr. Allerton."
2. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
3. Examine the conflict between the Pequot and the Narragansett.
4. Discuss the next conflict held between the Pilgrims and the French.
5. The Pilgrims were stuck once again by extensive illness. What was the cause?
6. Discuss the issues the Pilgrims had with the English regarding animal pelts.
7. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
8. Who were the Undertakers? What was their job?
9. What happened to Massasoit during this time?
10. What was the basis of the conflict regarding trade on the Kennebec and Connecticut Rivers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Bradford chose to write the history of Plymouth Plantation in third person rather than in a first person account? Do you think Bradford was attempting to create an accurate historical document? What was the purpose of writing the account? What other accounts of Plymouth Plantation exist? Cite references and sources.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the formation of the Undertakers. What was the purpose of the formation of the group? What was the need? Who suggested the group? Who approved it? What were the duties of the Undertakers? Was the group successful in its mission? Who belonged to the group? How long did the group stay together?
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail the relationship between William Bradford and William Brewster. When did the men meet? What was their relationship in the beginning? How did one influence the other? Was the relationship more mentor/student, colleagues or friends? Explain. Also explore their loyalty to the colony and one another.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)