|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Weston's people objected not out of loyalty but out of fear of which of the following?
2. The thing that most concerned Bradford was the separation of which of the following:
3. The "sad straits" were caused by a lack of skills in the ability to _____ their goods.
4. The man was known for being able to secure which of the following:
5. It was discovered afterward that the locusts had nothing to do with the deaths, that the deaths were actually caused by which of the following:
Short Essay Questions
1. The Pilgrims were stuck once again by extensive illness. What was the cause?
2. Weston continues to plague the Pilgrims with his underhanded tactics. Examine Weston's next move.
3. Discuss the petition to settle the conflict between the Dutch and the French. Who was in charge of examining and approving it?
4. There was a tremendous hurricane that struck the colony in the middle of August. Explain the severity of the hurricane as well as Bradford's comments.
5. Who were the Undertakers? What was their job?
6. Allerton became even more corrupt as time went on Discuss Allerton's actions in England.
7. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
8. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
9. Discuss the arrival of the Reverend Ralph Smith.
10. Discuss "The Strange Proceedings of Mr. Allerton."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine in detail the relationship between William Bradford and William Brewster. When did the men meet? What was their relationship in the beginning? How did one influence the other? Was the relationship more mentor/student, colleagues or friends? Explain. Also explore their loyalty to the colony and one another.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Bradford chose to write the history of Plymouth Plantation in third person rather than in a first person account? Do you think Bradford was attempting to create an accurate historical document? What was the purpose of writing the account? What other accounts of Plymouth Plantation exist? Cite references and sources.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Isaac Allerton at Plymouth Plantation. What was Allerton's position? To whom was Allerton closest? What were Allerton's responsibilities before, during and after he left office? What type of man was Allerton? Was he trustworthy? What was Bradford's opinion of the man? What was the collective opinion of the rest of the Separatists? Explain. What eventually became of Allerton? How was the colony affected by Allerton's actions? Explain.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)