|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winslow went to England to attempt to settle the accounts including the issues with the White ____.
2. What was the main purpose of the ship?
3. The population led to an excess of corn and ____.
4. Plymouth Plantation flourished. People began to spread out and soon it became necessary for the people to start their own ____.
5. Bradford comments about the ships that come to trade at the fort belonging to the:
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Massasoit during this time?
2. Bradford talks about the letters received by Winslow, many of which held ridiculous complaints. Discuss at least some of the complaints.
3. Discuss the arrival of the Reverend Ralph Smith.
4. There was a tremendous hurricane that struck the colony in the middle of August. Explain the severity of the hurricane as well as Bradford's comments.
5. Examine the distress over the growth of the colony and how it came about.
6. Discuss the next conflict held between the Pilgrims and the French.
7. What eventually happened to Weston?
8. The Pilgrims were stuck once again by extensive illness. What was the cause?
9. Other than Weston, John Peirce also attempted to betray people in the colonies. Examine Peirce's actions.
10. Discuss Weston's actions after the failure of Weston Plantation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Weston is painted as being the most unscrupulous man ever to deal with the Pilgrims. Who was Weston? What position did he hold at Plymouth Plantation? Was Weston involved before, during or after the move from the Netherlands? Explain. Why did Bradford consider Weston to be unscrupulous? Was there one particular action or event that gained Weston such a negative reputation? Explain. How did Weston's relationship with Plymouth Plantation end? What happened to Weston after he left the Plantation? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The appearance of Samoset and Squanto was a highly important event during the early days of Plymouth Plantation. Discuss the arrival of Samoset and Squanto. What caused the men to arrive at Plymouth Plantation? Why were Samoset and Squanto the ones chosen to approach? Who was the high ranking member of the tribe? To which tribe did the men belong? How did the men learn to speak English? What was the initial reaction by both sides during the first meeting? Was the meeting friendly? What happened next?
Essay Topic 3
The Separatists made the choice to leave Holland for America. In what year was the decision made? Why was it made? Who decided? Was there a particular event or incident that caused the Separatists to make the decision? How difficult was it to make the move from the Netherlands to America? How long did it take? Where did the Separatists get the financial aid and other support? Who was in charge of the accounts? What treachery did the Separatists encounter before and during the long voyage? Explain. How many people were involved in the transportation of the people? Who committed the most treacherous acts? How was the treachery handled by the Separatists? What was the outcome?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)