|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Dutch were fearful that the ____ would take away their trade if they did not get there first.
2. The colonists were faced with a terrible ____ that struck in the middle of August.
3. Stone managed to get the governor of Virginia drunk and ended up absconding with _____ pounds worth of provisions.
4. It was at this time Bradford learned about the illness of which person?
5. In the end, Allerton ended up _____ the majority of the items that did not belong to him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Massasoit during this time?
2. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
3. Allerton became even more corrupt as time went on Discuss Allerton's actions in England.
4. Who were the Undertakers? What was their job?
5. Bradford talks about the letters received by Winslow, many of which held ridiculous complaints. Discuss at least some of the complaints.
6. Discuss the arrival of the Reverend Ralph Smith.
7. What was the basis of the conflict regarding trade on the Kennebec and Connecticut Rivers?
8. Discuss "The Strange Proceedings of Mr. Allerton."
9. Discuss the petition to settle the conflict between the Dutch and the French. Who was in charge of examining and approving it?
10. The Pilgrims had trouble raising corn causing a shortage. Discuss Bradford's comments regarding the shortage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Separatists made the choice to leave Holland for America. In what year was the decision made? Why was it made? Who decided? Was there a particular event or incident that caused the Separatists to make the decision? How difficult was it to make the move from the Netherlands to America? How long did it take? Where did the Separatists get the financial aid and other support? Who was in charge of the accounts? What treachery did the Separatists encounter before and during the long voyage? Explain. How many people were involved in the transportation of the people? Who committed the most treacherous acts? How was the treachery handled by the Separatists? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
William Bradford's upbringing was somewhat unusual. Discuss the circumstances of Bradford's young life. What tragedy occurred when Bradford was a baby? Where was Bradford sent as a result? Who raised Bradford? What skills did Bradford learn as a child? What captured Bradford's attention and interest at age 12? How did it change Bradford's life? What would Bradford eventually be prompted to do? How did Bradford utilize his skills to better Plymouth Plantation? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the formation of the Undertakers. What was the purpose of the formation of the group? What was the need? Who suggested the group? Who approved it? What were the duties of the Undertakers? Was the group successful in its mission? Who belonged to the group? How long did the group stay together?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)