|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The population led to an excess of corn and ____.
2. Conflict over the trade took place between which two tribes?
3. Allerton had been given ____ to perform certain acts once he arrived in England.
4. In what year was Winslow elected as the new governor?
5. Approximately how many people died from the epidemic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the issues the Pilgrims had with the English regarding animal pelts.
2. Bradford talks about the letters received by Winslow, many of which held ridiculous complaints. Discuss at least some of the complaints.
3. What eventually happened to Weston?
4. Other than Weston, John Peirce also attempted to betray people in the colonies. Examine Peirce's actions.
5. The Pilgrims had their share of dealing with unscrupulous men. Discuss this problem.
6. Discuss the arrival of the Reverend Ralph Smith.
7. Discuss the petition to settle the conflict between the Dutch and the French. Who was in charge of examining and approving it?
8. The Pilgrims were stuck once again by extensive illness. What was the cause?
9. Examine the distress over the growth of the colony and how it came about.
10. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Separatists made the choice to leave Holland for America. In what year was the decision made? Why was it made? Who decided? Was there a particular event or incident that caused the Separatists to make the decision? How difficult was it to make the move from the Netherlands to America? How long did it take? Where did the Separatists get the financial aid and other support? Who was in charge of the accounts? What treachery did the Separatists encounter before and during the long voyage? Explain. How many people were involved in the transportation of the people? Who committed the most treacherous acts? How was the treachery handled by the Separatists? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Examine in detail the relationship between William Bradford and William Brewster. When did the men meet? What was their relationship in the beginning? How did one influence the other? Was the relationship more mentor/student, colleagues or friends? Explain. Also explore their loyalty to the colony and one another.
Essay Topic 3
Weston is painted as being the most unscrupulous man ever to deal with the Pilgrims. Who was Weston? What position did he hold at Plymouth Plantation? Was Weston involved before, during or after the move from the Netherlands? Explain. Why did Bradford consider Weston to be unscrupulous? Was there one particular action or event that gained Weston such a negative reputation? Explain. How did Weston's relationship with Plymouth Plantation end? What happened to Weston after he left the Plantation? Explain.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)