|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The majority of the letters were filled with _____.
2. Weston made a deal with the colonist to take a number of what type of animal pelts to England?
3. Stone arrived in Virginia from which region?
4. The conflict surrounded trading in an area that belonged to the _______Plantation.
5. This man had been a pastor in which Massachusetts city before moving to Plymouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Pilgrims had trouble raising corn causing a shortage. Discuss Bradford's comments regarding the shortage.
2. The people at Weston's Plantation began to suffer from lack of food. Discuss Bradford's impression of the facts.
3. Discuss Weston's actions after the failure of Weston Plantation.
4. Who were the Undertakers? What was their job?
5. Discuss the arrival of the Reverend Ralph Smith.
6. What was the basis of the conflict regarding trade on the Kennebec and Connecticut Rivers?
7. What eventually happened to Weston?
8. Weston continues to plague the Pilgrims with his underhanded tactics. Examine Weston's next move.
9. The Pilgrims had their share of dealing with unscrupulous men. Discuss this problem.
10. What happened to Massasoit during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After spending less than a year in Amsterdam, the Separatists had cause to move out of the city and to the town of Leyden. Discuss in detail the reasons for leaving Amsterdam. Was there one specific incident or reason for moving out of the city? If so, what was it? Was the entire group eager to go or was the decision made by a few? Were all of the Separatists in the city by that time? Why did they choose Leyden? How is Leyden described in the text? How long did the group stay in Leyden? How did the conditions compare to those in Amsterdam? What were the biggest differences? Were the Separatists more or less successful in Leyden in regards to rebuilding their church? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the founding, purpose, methods, and duties of the Separatist movement as it relates to the traditionally accepted religions of Europe and the Church of England at large.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast commonly accepted historical fact against the information provided in the book OF PLYMOUTH PLANTATION, 1620-1647 by William Bradford. Discuss possible discrepancies between accepted misconceptions and historical information as presented by Bradford. For example, modern society has painted a completely inaccurate picture of the first Thanksgiving. Choose at least five examples of misinformation.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)