|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of year did the Dutch retreat to the fort to secure trade?
2. Bradford states that two of the saddest incidents during this time too place on the ______ and Connecticut Rivers.
3. Up until this time Bradford had stated that it would not be wise to ____ Weston.
4. Weston is eventually called up on how many charges?
5. How many pelts were taken to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss "The Strange Proceedings of Mr. Allerton."
2. Discuss the petition to settle the conflict between the Dutch and the French. Who was in charge of examining and approving it?
3. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
4. Examine the conflict between the Pequot and the Narragansett.
5. The people at Weston's Plantation began to suffer from lack of food. Discuss Bradford's impression of the facts.
6. Weston continues to plague the Pilgrims with his underhanded tactics. Examine Weston's next move.
7. What happened to Massasoit during this time?
8. The Pilgrims were stuck once again by extensive illness. What was the cause?
9. The Pilgrims had their share of dealing with unscrupulous men. Discuss this problem.
10. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Bradford chose to write the history of Plymouth Plantation in third person rather than in a first person account? Do you think Bradford was attempting to create an accurate historical document? What was the purpose of writing the account? What other accounts of Plymouth Plantation exist? Cite references and sources.
Essay Topic 2
There are many accounts of conflict between various Native American tribes. Discuss in detail at least three instances in which the Native Americans went to battle. Explain the circumstances, the battle, and the outcome.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between the Pilgrims and Squanto evolved in some unexpected ways. Discuss the agreements the Pilgrims made with Squanto. What was Squanto's role at Plymouth Plantation? Did Squanto serve as a guide, instructor, liaison or something else? Explain. How did Squanto's role change over the years? What did Bradford mean when he stated that Squanto had become corrupt? In what ways did Squanto cheat the Pilgrims? What was Squanto's biggest contribution to the Plantation?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)