|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There was a particularly large population growth in which area?
2. Winslow went to England to attempt to settle the accounts including the issues with the White ____.
3. The Dutch were fearful that the ____ would take away their trade if they did not get there first.
4. Bradford details the activities between _____ and the church.
5. Who managed to take over Weston's ruined plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the basis of the conflict regarding trade on the Kennebec and Connecticut Rivers?
2. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
3. Discuss the arrival of the Reverend Ralph Smith.
4. There was a tremendous hurricane that struck the colony in the middle of August. Explain the severity of the hurricane as well as Bradford's comments.
5. Allerton became even more corrupt as time went on Discuss Allerton's actions in England.
6. Examine the conflict between the Pequot and the Narragansett.
7. Discuss Weston's actions after the failure of Weston Plantation.
8. The people at Weston's Plantation began to suffer from lack of food. Discuss Bradford's impression of the facts.
9. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
10. What eventually happened to Weston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast commonly accepted historical fact against the information provided in the book OF PLYMOUTH PLANTATION, 1620-1647 by William Bradford. Discuss possible discrepancies between accepted misconceptions and historical information as presented by Bradford. For example, modern society has painted a completely inaccurate picture of the first Thanksgiving. Choose at least five examples of misinformation.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Bradford chose to write the history of Plymouth Plantation in third person rather than in a first person account? Do you think Bradford was attempting to create an accurate historical document? What was the purpose of writing the account? What other accounts of Plymouth Plantation exist? Cite references and sources.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the following leaders: Bradford, Brewster, and Standish. Which has the most experience in operating a colony or a similar type of entity? Which is the strongest leader?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)