|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes about _____ and locusts and the affect on the colonists.
2. Plymouth Plantation flourished. People began to spread out and soon it became necessary for the people to start their own ____.
3. The Reverend Robinson died in which year?
4. Bradford skips over some of the events, including the election of the new governor, Thomas ______, and the activities of Allerton.
5. Bradford comments about the ships that come to trade at the fort belonging to the:
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the next conflict held between the Pilgrims and the French.
2. Examine the conflict between the Pequot and the Narragansett.
3. The Pilgrims had trouble raising corn causing a shortage. Discuss Bradford's comments regarding the shortage.
4. Discuss the petition to settle the conflict between the Dutch and the French. Who was in charge of examining and approving it?
5. The Pilgrims were stuck once again by extensive illness. What was the cause?
6. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
7. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
8. What was the basis of the conflict regarding trade on the Kennebec and Connecticut Rivers?
9. Weston continues to plague the Pilgrims with his underhanded tactics. Examine Weston's next move.
10. The Pilgrims had their share of dealing with unscrupulous men. Discuss this problem.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between the Pilgrims and Squanto evolved in some unexpected ways. Discuss the agreements the Pilgrims made with Squanto. What was Squanto's role at Plymouth Plantation? Did Squanto serve as a guide, instructor, liaison or something else? Explain. How did Squanto's role change over the years? What did Bradford mean when he stated that Squanto had become corrupt? In what ways did Squanto cheat the Pilgrims? What was Squanto's biggest contribution to the Plantation?
Essay Topic 2
Write a biography of Robert Cushman. Explain the relationship between Cushman and Bradford. Also examine the role of Cushman in the settlement of the Plymouth Plantation. Overall, was Cushman's involvement a help or hindrance? What were Cushman's accomplishments and/or follies?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the founding, purpose, methods, and duties of the Separatist movement as it relates to the traditionally accepted religions of Europe and the Church of England at large.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)