Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which adjective best describes the behavior of the crew aboard the Mayflower?
2. Who arrived after these natives had visited the Puritans several times?
3. Where did the group intend to settle?
4. What was the name given to the outspoken men of faith?
5. What word is used to describe the character of William Brewster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the Pequot's failed negotiations with the Narragansett.
2. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
3. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
4. What eventually happened to Weston?
5. Bradford talks about the letters received by Winslow, many of which held ridiculous complaints. Discuss at least some of the complaints.
6. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
7. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
8. Explain the period referred to as "The Starting Time."
9. Weston continues to plague the Pilgrims with his underhanded tactics. Examine Weston's next move.
10. What became of Edward Winslow?
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Robert Cushman. Explain the relationship between Cushman and Bradford. Also examine the role of Cushman in the settlement of the Plymouth Plantation. Overall, was Cushman's involvement a help or hindrance? What were Cushman's accomplishments and/or follies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the formation of the Undertakers. What was the purpose of the formation of the group? What was the need? Who suggested the group? Who approved it? What were the duties of the Undertakers? Was the group successful in its mission? Who belonged to the group? How long did the group stay together?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the founding, purpose, methods, and duties of the Separatist movement as it relates to the traditionally accepted religions of Europe and the Church of England at large.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)