|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men claimed that they wanted to get away from "the persecutions of the heathen and their ______."
2. The group decided to leave the city and relocate to which area?
3. What was the name of the document signed by the Puritans?
4. The people that signed the compact were loyal subjects of which monarch?
5. Which adjective best describes the behavior of the crew aboard the Mayflower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the Narragansett Challenge.
2. Bradford quotes Socrates in regards to the treatment of the professors. What does Bradford say?
3. Explain the change in the monarchy when Queen Elizabeth I took the throne.
4. Explain the period referred to as "The Starting Time."
5. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
6. Discuss when the Separatists moved to Holland and what they found upon their arrival in Amsterdam.
7. Discuss the next step for the Separatists once they were all but forced out of Britain. What did the Monarchy think about the exodus?
8. What was the newly formed identity of the professors?
9. Discuss the first meeting between the Pilgrims and the Indians. Who were the first to make contact?
10. How did the Church attempt to cater to the "heathens?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Separatists made the choice to leave Holland for America. In what year was the decision made? Why was it made? Who decided? Was there a particular event or incident that caused the Separatists to make the decision? How difficult was it to make the move from the Netherlands to America? How long did it take? Where did the Separatists get the financial aid and other support? Who was in charge of the accounts? What treachery did the Separatists encounter before and during the long voyage? Explain. How many people were involved in the transportation of the people? Who committed the most treacherous acts? How was the treachery handled by the Separatists? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Isaac Allerton at Plymouth Plantation. What was Allerton's position? To whom was Allerton closest? What were Allerton's responsibilities before, during and after he left office? What type of man was Allerton? Was he trustworthy? What was Bradford's opinion of the man? What was the collective opinion of the rest of the Separatists? Explain. What eventually became of Allerton? How was the colony affected by Allerton's actions? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There are many accounts of conflict between various Native American tribes. Discuss in detail at least three instances in which the Native Americans went to battle. Explain the circumstances, the battle, and the outcome.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)