|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was chosen to act as the new governor?
2. What was the rank of the high ranking Indian?
3. Which of the following men was one of the major players in arranging for the passage to the new location?
4. Bradford quotes which famous philosopher?
5. What was the name given to the outspoken men of faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bradford quotes Socrates in regards to the treatment of the professors. What does Bradford say?
2. Bradford repeats a passage of the document, one which gives the basis of the new government as well as its aim and goals. What is the passage quoted?
3. What was the newly formed identity of the professors?
4. How did the Church attempt to cater to the "heathens?"
5. Discuss the next step for the Separatists once they were all but forced out of Britain. What did the Monarchy think about the exodus?
6. One of the first major conflicts in the colony had to do with the celebration of Christmas. Explain the incident and how it was resolved.
7. What was the purpose and the context of the pact made between Massasoit and the Pilgrims?
8. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
9. What does the text say about the poor, and sometimes fatal, treatment of those that dared to go up against the Church?
10. How did some people justify the torture and murder of the professors? What became of the survivors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Separatists were at the mercy of the British monarchy before they went to Holland. Although the official policies never changed the behaviors of the monarchs varied widely. Discuss the official policy held by the church and monarchy regarding the Separatists. Compare and contrast the treatment of the Separatists under the rule of Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth I, and King James I. Which was the most tolerant? Which was responsible for the most amount of persecution? Also discuss who was in power when the Separatists officially formed and who was in power when they fled the country.
Essay Topic 2
There are many accounts of conflict between various Native American tribes. Discuss in detail at least three instances in which the Native Americans went to battle. Explain the circumstances, the battle, and the outcome.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between the Pilgrims and Squanto evolved in some unexpected ways. Discuss the agreements the Pilgrims made with Squanto. What was Squanto's role at Plymouth Plantation? Did Squanto serve as a guide, instructor, liaison or something else? Explain. How did Squanto's role change over the years? What did Bradford mean when he stated that Squanto had become corrupt? In what ways did Squanto cheat the Pilgrims? What was Squanto's biggest contribution to the Plantation?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)