|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name given to the people who believed in the basis and origin of the Christian religion?
2. Who arrived after these natives had visited the Puritans several times?
3. The people that signed the compact were loyal subjects of which monarch?
4. What did many of those people do when a new queen took the throne?
5. Which queen was responsible for some people being burned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the text say about the poor, and sometimes fatal, treatment of those that dared to go up against the Church?
2. Explain the period referred to as "The Starting Time."
3. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
4. Explain the attitude and behavior of the Mayflower's crew during the voyage from Europe.
5. What gift did Massasoit leave behind for the Pilgrims? What was the purpose? How long did the arrangement last?
6. Bradford quotes Socrates in regards to the treatment of the professors. What does Bradford say?
7. What caused the Separatists to leave Amsterdam? Where did the group go?
8. What was the purpose and the context of the pact made between Massasoit and the Pilgrims?
9. Explain the role and purpose of the "professors." Also explain their role in the Church of England.
10. Discuss the Narragansett Challenge.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the formation of the Undertakers. What was the purpose of the formation of the group? What was the need? Who suggested the group? Who approved it? What were the duties of the Undertakers? Was the group successful in its mission? Who belonged to the group? How long did the group stay together?
Essay Topic 2
The Separatists made the choice to leave Holland for America. In what year was the decision made? Why was it made? Who decided? Was there a particular event or incident that caused the Separatists to make the decision? How difficult was it to make the move from the Netherlands to America? How long did it take? Where did the Separatists get the financial aid and other support? Who was in charge of the accounts? What treachery did the Separatists encounter before and during the long voyage? Explain. How many people were involved in the transportation of the people? Who committed the most treacherous acts? How was the treachery handled by the Separatists? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the founding, purpose, methods, and duties of the Separatist movement as it relates to the traditionally accepted religions of Europe and the Church of England at large.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)