|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the document signed by the Puritans?
2. The man complained of which of the following the day before he died?
3. What was the name given to the outspoken men of faith?
4. Some of the "heathens'" traditions were adopted as a sign of ____.
5. What was the name of the new governor's assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the next important native to visit the Pilgrims? Discuss the visit.
2. Discuss the next step for the Separatists once they were all but forced out of Britain. What did the Monarchy think about the exodus?
3. Explain the new reign of James I and the consequences for the Separatists.
4. One of the first major conflicts in the colony had to do with the celebration of Christmas. Explain the incident and how it was resolved.
5. What was the purpose and the context of the pact made between Massasoit and the Pilgrims?
6. Discuss the first meeting between the Pilgrims and the Indians. Who were the first to make contact?
7. Discuss when the Separatists moved to Holland and what they found upon their arrival in Amsterdam.
8. Explain the role and purpose of the "professors." Also explain their role in the Church of England.
9. Discuss the Narragansett Challenge.
10. Explain the period referred to as "The Starting Time."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Separatists were at the mercy of the British monarchy before they went to Holland. Although the official policies never changed the behaviors of the monarchs varied widely. Discuss the official policy held by the church and monarchy regarding the Separatists. Compare and contrast the treatment of the Separatists under the rule of Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth I, and King James I. Which was the most tolerant? Which was responsible for the most amount of persecution? Also discuss who was in power when the Separatists officially formed and who was in power when they fled the country.
Essay Topic 2
Write a biography of Robert Cushman. Explain the relationship between Cushman and Bradford. Also examine the role of Cushman in the settlement of the Plymouth Plantation. Overall, was Cushman's involvement a help or hindrance? What were Cushman's accomplishments and/or follies?
Essay Topic 3
William Bradford's upbringing was somewhat unusual. Discuss the circumstances of Bradford's young life. What tragedy occurred when Bradford was a baby? Where was Bradford sent as a result? Who raised Bradford? What skills did Bradford learn as a child? What captured Bradford's attention and interest at age 12? How did it change Bradford's life? What would Bradford eventually be prompted to do? How did Bradford utilize his skills to better Plymouth Plantation? Explain.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)