|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The people that signed the compact were loyal subjects of which monarch?
2. How did Bradford refer to this new era?
3. The queen assigned some of the repatriated people to positions in the ____.
4. What word was often used to describe the new queen?
5. What was the name of the group after it broke off from the established church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Thomas Cromwell? What was his notorious reputation?
2. What does the text say about the poor, and sometimes fatal, treatment of those that dared to go up against the Church?
3. Discuss the issues the Pilgrims had with the English regarding animal pelts.
4. Weston continues to plague the Pilgrims with his underhanded tactics. Examine Weston's next move.
5. Explain the attitude and behavior of the Mayflower's crew during the voyage from Europe.
6. Who were the Undertakers? What was their job?
7. What was the basis of the conflict regarding trade on the Kennebec and Connecticut Rivers?
8. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
9. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
10. What was the newly formed identity of the professors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast commonly accepted historical fact against the information provided in the book OF PLYMOUTH PLANTATION, 1620-1647 by William Bradford. Discuss possible discrepancies between accepted misconceptions and historical information as presented by Bradford. For example, modern society has painted a completely inaccurate picture of the first Thanksgiving. Choose at least five examples of misinformation.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Bradford chose to write the history of Plymouth Plantation in third person rather than in a first person account? Do you think Bradford was attempting to create an accurate historical document? What was the purpose of writing the account? What other accounts of Plymouth Plantation exist? Cite references and sources.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the founding, purpose, methods, and duties of the Separatist movement as it relates to the traditionally accepted religions of Europe and the Church of England at large.
This section contains 2,144 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)