|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The colony was going to be established in part to honor which of the following?
2. The man complained of which of the following the day before he died?
3. Some of the "heathens'" traditions were adopted as a sign of ____.
4. How many points were mentioned in this decision?
5. What percentage of the people in the company died shortly after the development of the new government?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the next step for the Separatists once they were all but forced out of Britain. What did the Monarchy think about the exodus?
2. How did some people justify the torture and murder of the professors? What became of the survivors?
3. Explain the period referred to as "The Starting Time."
4. Explain the attitude and behavior of the Mayflower's crew during the voyage from Europe.
5. What does the text say about the poor, and sometimes fatal, treatment of those that dared to go up against the Church?
6. State at least one part of the purpose of the Mayflower Compact as well as the aim of the new government. What about the agreement may seem ironic?
7. Discuss when the Separatists moved to Holland and what they found upon their arrival in Amsterdam.
8. Discuss the first meeting between the Pilgrims and the Indians. Who were the first to make contact?
9. Bradford recounts that the first foundation of the new government was created and put into place aboard the Mayflower. Discuss the events that prompted the design of the agreement.
10. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine in detail the relationship between William Bradford and William Brewster. When did the men meet? What was their relationship in the beginning? How did one influence the other? Was the relationship more mentor/student, colleagues or friends? Explain. Also explore their loyalty to the colony and one another.
Essay Topic 2
There are many accounts of conflict between various Native American tribes. Discuss in detail at least three instances in which the Native Americans went to battle. Explain the circumstances, the battle, and the outcome.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the founding, purpose, methods, and duties of the Separatist movement as it relates to the traditionally accepted religions of Europe and the Church of England at large.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)