|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrived after these natives had visited the Puritans several times?
2. Who was chosen to act as the new governor?
3. Who accompanied the high ranking native?
4. Which holiday has not been affected by the adoption of the traditions?
5. Which adjective best describes the behavior of the crew aboard the Mayflower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the Narragansett Challenge.
2. Discuss the next step for the Separatists once they were all but forced out of Britain. What did the Monarchy think about the exodus?
3. What does the text say about the poor, and sometimes fatal, treatment of those that dared to go up against the Church?
4. How did the Church attempt to cater to the "heathens?"
5. What was the purpose and the context of the pact made between Massasoit and the Pilgrims?
6. Who was the next important native to visit the Pilgrims? Discuss the visit.
7. One of the first major conflicts in the colony had to do with the celebration of Christmas. Explain the incident and how it was resolved.
8. Discuss the first meeting between the Pilgrims and the Indians. Who were the first to make contact?
9. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
10. Explain the attitude and behavior of the Mayflower's crew during the voyage from Europe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between the Pilgrims and Squanto evolved in some unexpected ways. Discuss the agreements the Pilgrims made with Squanto. What was Squanto's role at Plymouth Plantation? Did Squanto serve as a guide, instructor, liaison or something else? Explain. How did Squanto's role change over the years? What did Bradford mean when he stated that Squanto had become corrupt? In what ways did Squanto cheat the Pilgrims? What was Squanto's biggest contribution to the Plantation?
Essay Topic 2
Weston is painted as being the most unscrupulous man ever to deal with the Pilgrims. Who was Weston? What position did he hold at Plymouth Plantation? Was Weston involved before, during or after the move from the Netherlands? Explain. Why did Bradford consider Weston to be unscrupulous? Was there one particular action or event that gained Weston such a negative reputation? Explain. How did Weston's relationship with Plymouth Plantation end? What happened to Weston after he left the Plantation? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Bradford was elected governor of Plymouth Plantation 33 times. Discuss in detail the leadership of the colony, the position of governor, the responsibilities, and the election process. Was there anyone else that took as much responsibility as Bradford? Explain.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)