|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the new queen?
2. Which was one of the common diseases that plagued the people?
3. Bradford discusses the events that happened before the ship landed at which location?
4. What was the name of the document signed by the Puritans?
5. The queen assigned some of the repatriated people to positions in the ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
2. What caused the Separatists to leave Amsterdam? Where did the group go?
3. State at least one part of the purpose of the Mayflower Compact as well as the aim of the new government. What about the agreement may seem ironic?
4. One of the first major conflicts in the colony had to do with the celebration of Christmas. Explain the incident and how it was resolved.
5. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
6. Discuss the first meeting between the Pilgrims and the Indians. Who were the first to make contact?
7. Discuss when the Separatists moved to Holland and what they found upon their arrival in Amsterdam.
8. What was the newly formed identity of the professors?
9. What gift did Massasoit leave behind for the Pilgrims? What was the purpose? How long did the arrangement last?
10. Bradford recounts that the first foundation of the new government was created and put into place aboard the Mayflower. Discuss the events that prompted the design of the agreement.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William Bradford's upbringing was somewhat unusual. Discuss the circumstances of Bradford's young life. What tragedy occurred when Bradford was a baby? Where was Bradford sent as a result? Who raised Bradford? What skills did Bradford learn as a child? What captured Bradford's attention and interest at age 12? How did it change Bradford's life? What would Bradford eventually be prompted to do? How did Bradford utilize his skills to better Plymouth Plantation? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There were several times when Bradford discussed the immorality of the people at Plymouth Plantation. Discuss Bradford's concerns with the behavior of the people. Did Bradford consider them to be wicked, unschooled, or unprincipled? What was Bradford's issue with certain people on the Sabbath? What was the opinion of those back in England? What was recommended? What did Bradford do?
Essay Topic 3
Bradford was elected governor of Plymouth Plantation 33 times. Discuss in detail the leadership of the colony, the position of governor, the responsibilities, and the election process. Was there anyone else that took as much responsibility as Bradford? Explain.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)