|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not mentioned as a form of torture?
2. In 1607-1608 the newly formed group arranged for passage to which city?
3. It was common for the punished to be removed of their ____.
4. The man complained of which of the following the day before he died?
5. What were the names of the first people married in the new colony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the first meeting between the Pilgrims and the Indians. Who were the first to make contact?
2. State at least one part of the purpose of the Mayflower Compact as well as the aim of the new government. What about the agreement may seem ironic?
3. What does the text say about the poor, and sometimes fatal, treatment of those that dared to go up against the Church?
4. Bradford recounts that the first foundation of the new government was created and put into place aboard the Mayflower. Discuss the events that prompted the design of the agreement.
5. What caused the Separatists to leave Amsterdam? Where did the group go?
6. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
7. Explain the attitude and behavior of the Mayflower's crew during the voyage from Europe.
8. What was the purpose and the context of the pact made between Massasoit and the Pilgrims?
9. Bradford quotes Socrates in regards to the treatment of the professors. What does Bradford say?
10. Explain the change in the monarchy when Queen Elizabeth I took the throne.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine in detail the relationship between William Bradford and William Brewster. When did the men meet? What was their relationship in the beginning? How did one influence the other? Was the relationship more mentor/student, colleagues or friends? Explain. Also explore their loyalty to the colony and one another.
Essay Topic 2
There were several times when Bradford discussed the immorality of the people at Plymouth Plantation. Discuss Bradford's concerns with the behavior of the people. Did Bradford consider them to be wicked, unschooled, or unprincipled? What was Bradford's issue with certain people on the Sabbath? What was the opinion of those back in England? What was recommended? What did Bradford do?
Essay Topic 3
There are many accounts of conflict between various Native American tribes. Discuss in detail at least three instances in which the Native Americans went to battle. Explain the circumstances, the battle, and the outcome.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)