|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which adjective best describes the behavior of the crew aboard the Mayflower?
2. Who arrived after these natives had visited the Puritans several times?
3. Where did the group intend to settle?
4. What was the name given to the outspoken men of faith?
5. What word is used to describe the character of William Brewster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the Pequot's failed negotiations with the Narragansett.
2. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
3. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
4. What eventually happened to Weston?
5. Bradford talks about the letters received by Winslow, many of which held ridiculous complaints. Discuss at least some of the complaints.
6. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
7. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
8. Explain the period referred to as "The Starting Time."
9. Weston continues to plague the Pilgrims with his underhanded tactics. Examine Weston's next move.
10. What became of Edward Winslow?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Isaac Allerton at Plymouth Plantation. What was Allerton's position? To whom was Allerton closest? What were Allerton's responsibilities before, during and after he left office? What type of man was Allerton? Was he trustworthy? What was Bradford's opinion of the man? What was the collective opinion of the rest of the Separatists? Explain. What eventually became of Allerton? How was the colony affected by Allerton's actions? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Bradford chose to write the history of Plymouth Plantation in third person rather than in a first person account? Do you think Bradford was attempting to create an accurate historical document? What was the purpose of writing the account? What other accounts of Plymouth Plantation exist? Cite references and sources.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between the Pilgrims and Squanto evolved in some unexpected ways. Discuss the agreements the Pilgrims made with Squanto. What was Squanto's role at Plymouth Plantation? Did Squanto serve as a guide, instructor, liaison or something else? Explain. How did Squanto's role change over the years? What did Bradford mean when he stated that Squanto had become corrupt? In what ways did Squanto cheat the Pilgrims? What was Squanto's biggest contribution to the Plantation?
This section contains 2,076 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)