|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Within ____ the new arrivals had fallen out of good graces with the church.
2. During this time the ____ were being closely watched.
3. Which is not one of the initial items planted in the new colony?
4. The deaths occurred over what time period?
5. Who accompanied the high ranking native?
Short Essay Questions
1. State at least one part of the purpose of the Mayflower Compact as well as the aim of the new government. What about the agreement may seem ironic?
2. How did the Church attempt to cater to the "heathens?"
3. What does the text say about the poor, and sometimes fatal, treatment of those that dared to go up against the Church?
4. What caused the Separatists to leave Amsterdam? Where did the group go?
5. Discuss the Narragansett Challenge.
6. Bradford repeats a passage of the document, one which gives the basis of the new government as well as its aim and goals. What is the passage quoted?
7. Bradford recounts that the first foundation of the new government was created and put into place aboard the Mayflower. Discuss the events that prompted the design of the agreement.
8. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
9. What gift did Massasoit leave behind for the Pilgrims? What was the purpose? How long did the arrangement last?
10. Explain the role and purpose of the "professors." Also explain their role in the Church of England.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the founding, purpose, methods, and duties of the Separatist movement as it relates to the traditionally accepted religions of Europe and the Church of England at large.
Essay Topic 2
After spending less than a year in Amsterdam, the Separatists had cause to move out of the city and to the town of Leyden. Discuss in detail the reasons for leaving Amsterdam. Was there one specific incident or reason for moving out of the city? If so, what was it? Was the entire group eager to go or was the decision made by a few? Were all of the Separatists in the city by that time? Why did they choose Leyden? How is Leyden described in the text? How long did the group stay in Leyden? How did the conditions compare to those in Amsterdam? What were the biggest differences? Were the Separatists more or less successful in Leyden in regards to rebuilding their church? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of Robert Cushman. Explain the relationship between Cushman and Bradford. Also examine the role of Cushman in the settlement of the Plymouth Plantation. Overall, was Cushman's involvement a help or hindrance? What were Cushman's accomplishments and/or follies?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)