|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The majority of the governmental issues were determined while the group was at which location?
2. The documents asserted that the group would form into which of the following?
3. During this time the ____ were being closely watched.
4. What was the name of the governor at this time?
5. The settlers were typically split into two groups, the farmers and the ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Bradford recounts that the first foundation of the new government was created and put into place aboard the Mayflower. Discuss the events that prompted the design of the agreement.
2. State at least one part of the purpose of the Mayflower Compact as well as the aim of the new government. What about the agreement may seem ironic?
3. How did some people justify the torture and murder of the professors? What became of the survivors?
4. What was the newly formed identity of the professors?
5. Explain the change in the monarchy when Queen Elizabeth I took the throne.
6. What caused the Separatists to leave Amsterdam? Where did the group go?
7. Discuss the first meeting between the Pilgrims and the Indians. Who were the first to make contact?
8. How did the Church attempt to cater to the "heathens?"
9. What gift did Massasoit leave behind for the Pilgrims? What was the purpose? How long did the arrangement last?
10. Explain the role and purpose of the "professors." Also explain their role in the Church of England.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Isaac Allerton at Plymouth Plantation. What was Allerton's position? To whom was Allerton closest? What were Allerton's responsibilities before, during and after he left office? What type of man was Allerton? Was he trustworthy? What was Bradford's opinion of the man? What was the collective opinion of the rest of the Separatists? Explain. What eventually became of Allerton? How was the colony affected by Allerton's actions? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast commonly accepted historical fact against the information provided in the book OF PLYMOUTH PLANTATION, 1620-1647 by William Bradford. Discuss possible discrepancies between accepted misconceptions and historical information as presented by Bradford. For example, modern society has painted a completely inaccurate picture of the first Thanksgiving. Choose at least five examples of misinformation.
Essay Topic 3
There were several times when Bradford discussed the immorality of the people at Plymouth Plantation. Discuss Bradford's concerns with the behavior of the people. Did Bradford consider them to be wicked, unschooled, or unprincipled? What was Bradford's issue with certain people on the Sabbath? What was the opinion of those back in England? What was recommended? What did Bradford do?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)