|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The group decided to leave the city and relocate to which area?
2. Who accompanied the high ranking native?
3. Which is not one of the topics mentioned in the conversation surrounding the topic?
4. What occurred upon the arrival of the visitors?
5. The Dutch viewed the group as being which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the text say about the poor, and sometimes fatal, treatment of those that dared to go up against the Church?
2. What gift did Massasoit leave behind for the Pilgrims? What was the purpose? How long did the arrangement last?
3. Bradford recounts that the first foundation of the new government was created and put into place aboard the Mayflower. Discuss the events that prompted the design of the agreement.
4. How did the Church attempt to cater to the "heathens?"
5. Discuss the Narragansett Challenge.
6. How did some people justify the torture and murder of the professors? What became of the survivors?
7. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
8. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
9. What was the purpose and the context of the pact made between Massasoit and the Pilgrims?
10. Discuss the first meeting between the Pilgrims and the Indians. Who were the first to make contact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were several times when Bradford discussed the immorality of the people at Plymouth Plantation. Discuss Bradford's concerns with the behavior of the people. Did Bradford consider them to be wicked, unschooled, or unprincipled? What was Bradford's issue with certain people on the Sabbath? What was the opinion of those back in England? What was recommended? What did Bradford do?
Essay Topic 2
The Separatists were at the mercy of the British monarchy before they went to Holland. Although the official policies never changed the behaviors of the monarchs varied widely. Discuss the official policy held by the church and monarchy regarding the Separatists. Compare and contrast the treatment of the Separatists under the rule of Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth I, and King James I. Which was the most tolerant? Which was responsible for the most amount of persecution? Also discuss who was in power when the Separatists officially formed and who was in power when they fled the country.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the following leaders: Bradford, Brewster, and Standish. Which has the most experience in operating a colony or a similar type of entity? Which is the strongest leader?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)