|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bradford discusses the events that happened before the ship landed at which location?
2. The group finally decided to move on once again. This time, they would go to _____.
3. Which of the following men was one of the major players in arranging for the passage to the new location?
4. What word is used to describe the character of William Brewster?
5. The man continually tried to involve Robinson in what kind of activity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the arrival of the Reverend Ralph Smith.
2. Examine the distress over the growth of the colony and how it came about.
3. Explain the change in the monarchy when Queen Elizabeth I took the throne.
4. What was the newly formed identity of the professors?
5. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
6. The Pilgrims had trouble raising corn causing a shortage. Discuss Bradford's comments regarding the shortage.
7. What was the purpose and the context of the pact made between Massasoit and the Pilgrims?
8. What was the basis of the conflict regarding trade on the Kennebec and Connecticut Rivers?
9. Discuss the issues the Pilgrims had with the English regarding animal pelts.
10. The people at Weston's Plantation began to suffer from lack of food. Discuss Bradford's impression of the facts.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the formation of the Undertakers. What was the purpose of the formation of the group? What was the need? Who suggested the group? Who approved it? What were the duties of the Undertakers? Was the group successful in its mission? Who belonged to the group? How long did the group stay together?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Bradford chose to write the history of Plymouth Plantation in third person rather than in a first person account? Do you think Bradford was attempting to create an accurate historical document? What was the purpose of writing the account? What other accounts of Plymouth Plantation exist? Cite references and sources.
Essay Topic 3
William Bradford's upbringing was somewhat unusual. Discuss the circumstances of Bradford's young life. What tragedy occurred when Bradford was a baby? Where was Bradford sent as a result? Who raised Bradford? What skills did Bradford learn as a child? What captured Bradford's attention and interest at age 12? How did it change Bradford's life? What would Bradford eventually be prompted to do? How did Bradford utilize his skills to better Plymouth Plantation? Explain.
This section contains 2,172 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)