|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrived after these natives had visited the Puritans several times?
2. The man was soon labeled as being ____.
3. What was the name of the high ranking Indian that approached the group for the first time?
4. What were the names of the first people married in the new colony?
5. The documents asserted that the group would form into which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
2. What was the basis of the conflict regarding trade on the Kennebec and Connecticut Rivers?
3. Discuss "The Strange Proceedings of Mr. Allerton."
4. What was the newly formed identity of the professors?
5. Explain the new reign of James I and the consequences for the Separatists.
6. Bradford talks about the letters received by Winslow, many of which held ridiculous complaints. Discuss at least some of the complaints.
7. The Pilgrims were stuck once again by extensive illness. What was the cause?
8. The Pilgrims had their share of dealing with unscrupulous men. Discuss this problem.
9. Discuss the next step for the Separatists once they were all but forced out of Britain. What did the Monarchy think about the exodus?
10. How did the Church attempt to cater to the "heathens?"
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast commonly accepted historical fact against the information provided in the book OF PLYMOUTH PLANTATION, 1620-1647 by William Bradford. Discuss possible discrepancies between accepted misconceptions and historical information as presented by Bradford. For example, modern society has painted a completely inaccurate picture of the first Thanksgiving. Choose at least five examples of misinformation.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the formation of the Undertakers. What was the purpose of the formation of the group? What was the need? Who suggested the group? Who approved it? What were the duties of the Undertakers? Was the group successful in its mission? Who belonged to the group? How long did the group stay together?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the following leaders: Bradford, Brewster, and Standish. Which has the most experience in operating a colony or a similar type of entity? Which is the strongest leader?
This section contains 2,203 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)