Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which adjective best describes the behavior of the crew aboard the Mayflower?
2. Who arrived after these natives had visited the Puritans several times?
3. Where did the group intend to settle?
4. What was the name given to the outspoken men of faith?
5. What word is used to describe the character of William Brewster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the Pequot's failed negotiations with the Narragansett.
2. Hard times continued to plague the Plymouth. Discuss the resignation of Ralph Smith.
3. What were some of the difficulties faced by Winslow when he attempted to hire another minister for Plymouth Plantation?
4. What eventually happened to Weston?
5. Bradford talks about the letters received by Winslow, many of which held ridiculous complaints. Discuss at least some of the complaints.
6. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
7. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
8. Explain the period referred to as "The Starting Time."
9. Weston continues to plague the Pilgrims with his underhanded tactics. Examine Weston's next move.
10. What became of Edward Winslow?
Essay Topic 1
The appearance of Samoset and Squanto was a highly important event during the early days of Plymouth Plantation. Discuss the arrival of Samoset and Squanto. What caused the men to arrive at Plymouth Plantation? Why were Samoset and Squanto the ones chosen to approach? Who was the high ranking member of the tribe? To which tribe did the men belong? How did the men learn to speak English? What was the initial reaction by both sides during the first meeting? Was the meeting friendly? What happened next?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Separatists' exodus from England to the Low Countries. Where are the Low Countries? What caused the Separatists to leave? In what city did the Separatists settle upon arriving in the country? What were the biggest obstacles? What was the collective impression of the group before leaving England? Was the impression correct? How were the Separatists greeted? Were there opportunities for the Separatists to make a living? If so, how? What was the thing about living in the new country? How did the Separatists deal with the language barrier?
Essay Topic 3
Examine in detail the relationship between William Bradford and William Brewster. When did the men meet? What was their relationship in the beginning? How did one influence the other? Was the relationship more mentor/student, colleagues or friends? Explain. Also explore their loyalty to the colony and one another.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)