|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The documents asserted that the group would form into which of the following?
2. What percentage of the people in the company died shortly after the development of the new government?
3. Which of the following men was one of the major players in arranging for the passage to the new location?
4. Which queen was responsible for some people being burned?
5. Which holiday has not been affected by the adoption of the traditions?
Short Essay Questions
1. State at least one part of the purpose of the Mayflower Compact as well as the aim of the new government. What about the agreement may seem ironic?
2. What was the newly formed identity of the professors?
3. What was the purpose and the context of the pact made between Massasoit and the Pilgrims?
4. One of the first major conflicts in the colony had to do with the celebration of Christmas. Explain the incident and how it was resolved.
5. Explain the change in the monarchy when Queen Elizabeth I took the throne.
6. Bradford recounts that the first foundation of the new government was created and put into place aboard the Mayflower. Discuss the events that prompted the design of the agreement.
7. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
8. Explain the period referred to as "The Starting Time."
9. Explain the role and purpose of the "professors." Also explain their role in the Church of England.
10. Discuss the next step for the Separatists once they were all but forced out of Britain. What did the Monarchy think about the exodus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following groups: Mohicans, Pequot, Narragansett, Massachusetts, Pawtuxet, Sagamore, and Catawba.
Essay Topic 2
Weston is painted as being the most unscrupulous man ever to deal with the Pilgrims. Who was Weston? What position did he hold at Plymouth Plantation? Was Weston involved before, during or after the move from the Netherlands? Explain. Why did Bradford consider Weston to be unscrupulous? Was there one particular action or event that gained Weston such a negative reputation? Explain. How did Weston's relationship with Plymouth Plantation end? What happened to Weston after he left the Plantation? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the following leaders: Bradford, Brewster, and Standish. Which has the most experience in operating a colony or a similar type of entity? Which is the strongest leader?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)