|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The majority of the governmental issues were determined while the group was at which location?
2. Who accompanied the high ranking native?
3. Which is not one of the topics mentioned in the conversation surrounding the topic?
4. Which of the following men was one of the major players in arranging for the passage to the new location?
5. How many people were left with the brunt of the responsibility?
Short Essay Questions
1. State at least one part of the purpose of the Mayflower Compact as well as the aim of the new government. What about the agreement may seem ironic?
2. What happened to Massasoit during this time?
3. Discuss when the Separatists moved to Holland and what they found upon their arrival in Amsterdam.
4. Examine Bradford's concerns regarding keeping the colony together.
5. What was the basis of the conflict regarding trade on the Kennebec and Connecticut Rivers?
6. The Pilgrims had their share of dealing with unscrupulous men. Discuss this problem.
7. Describe the conflict and controversy surrounding the work of Charles Chauncy.
8. Bradford repeats a passage of the document, one which gives the basis of the new government as well as its aim and goals. What is the passage quoted?
9. Explain how James Sherley and the Pilgrims ended their business partnership.
10. Weston continues to plague the Pilgrims with his underhanded tactics. Examine Weston's next move.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following groups: Mohicans, Pequot, Narragansett, Massachusetts, Pawtuxet, Sagamore, and Catawba.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Isaac Allerton at Plymouth Plantation. What was Allerton's position? To whom was Allerton closest? What were Allerton's responsibilities before, during and after he left office? What type of man was Allerton? Was he trustworthy? What was Bradford's opinion of the man? What was the collective opinion of the rest of the Separatists? Explain. What eventually became of Allerton? How was the colony affected by Allerton's actions? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Bradford chose to write the history of Plymouth Plantation in third person rather than in a first person account? Do you think Bradford was attempting to create an accurate historical document? What was the purpose of writing the account? What other accounts of Plymouth Plantation exist? Cite references and sources.
This section contains 2,194 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)