|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was one of Robinson's main adversaries?
2. What type of church was formed by the group?
3. Bradford claims that the treatment of those that do not obey the church is as evil as the persecution of early ____.
4. It is said that ______ had subtler methods.
5. The documents asserted that the group would form into which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
2. Explain the change in the monarchy when Queen Elizabeth I took the throne.
3. What caused the Separatists to leave Amsterdam? Where did the group go?
4. Explain the period referred to as "The Starting Time."
5. What was the newly formed identity of the professors?
6. Bradford recounts that the first foundation of the new government was created and put into place aboard the Mayflower. Discuss the events that prompted the design of the agreement.
7. What does the text say about the poor, and sometimes fatal, treatment of those that dared to go up against the Church?
8. Discuss the first meeting between the Pilgrims and the Indians. Who were the first to make contact?
9. How did the Church attempt to cater to the "heathens?"
10. Discuss the next step for the Separatists once they were all but forced out of Britain. What did the Monarchy think about the exodus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following leaders: Bradford, Brewster, and Standish. Which has the most experience in operating a colony or a similar type of entity? Which is the strongest leader?
Essay Topic 2
The Separatists made the choice to leave Holland for America. In what year was the decision made? Why was it made? Who decided? Was there a particular event or incident that caused the Separatists to make the decision? How difficult was it to make the move from the Netherlands to America? How long did it take? Where did the Separatists get the financial aid and other support? Who was in charge of the accounts? What treachery did the Separatists encounter before and during the long voyage? Explain. How many people were involved in the transportation of the people? Who committed the most treacherous acts? How was the treachery handled by the Separatists? What was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast commonly accepted historical fact against the information provided in the book OF PLYMOUTH PLANTATION, 1620-1647 by William Bradford. Discuss possible discrepancies between accepted misconceptions and historical information as presented by Bradford. For example, modern society has painted a completely inaccurate picture of the first Thanksgiving. Choose at least five examples of misinformation.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)