|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which was one of the common diseases that plagued the people?
2. Bradford quotes which famous philosopher?
3. What percentage of the people in the company died shortly after the development of the new government?
4. Which is not one of the initial items planted in the new colony?
5. What was the name given to the outspoken men of faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the new reign of James I and the consequences for the Separatists.
2. Many of the Pilgrims became seriously ill or died during the first months in Plymouth. Discuss the death of their prominent leader at the time. Who took the man's place?
3. State at least one part of the purpose of the Mayflower Compact as well as the aim of the new government. What about the agreement may seem ironic?
4. Bradford repeats a passage of the document, one which gives the basis of the new government as well as its aim and goals. What is the passage quoted?
5. Discuss the Narragansett Challenge.
6. Why did the Separatists choose to go to Holland? What prompted the group to move ahead with the plan?
7. Discuss when the Separatists moved to Holland and what they found upon their arrival in Amsterdam.
8. What was the newly formed identity of the professors?
9. Bradford recounts that the first foundation of the new government was created and put into place aboard the Mayflower. Discuss the events that prompted the design of the agreement.
10. Explain the attitude and behavior of the Mayflower's crew during the voyage from Europe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Separatists' exodus from England to the Low Countries. Where are the Low Countries? What caused the Separatists to leave? In what city did the Separatists settle upon arriving in the country? What were the biggest obstacles? What was the collective impression of the group before leaving England? Was the impression correct? How were the Separatists greeted? Were there opportunities for the Separatists to make a living? If so, how? What was the thing about living in the new country? How did the Separatists deal with the language barrier?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast commonly accepted historical fact against the information provided in the book OF PLYMOUTH PLANTATION, 1620-1647 by William Bradford. Discuss possible discrepancies between accepted misconceptions and historical information as presented by Bradford. For example, modern society has painted a completely inaccurate picture of the first Thanksgiving. Choose at least five examples of misinformation.
Essay Topic 3
There are many accounts of conflict between various Native American tribes. Discuss in detail at least three instances in which the Native Americans went to battle. Explain the circumstances, the battle, and the outcome.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)