|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is known for creating the most successful characters?
2. When did Lantz close his studio?
3. How long did it take Iwerks to complete "Plane Crazy"?
4. Who is described as being "animation's forgotten man"?
5. What changed about Porky Pig over time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you consider Paul Terry to be successful? Why or why not?
2. Was Van Beuren successful? Why or why not?
3. Describe Paul Terry's rise to success.
4. What priorities did Mintz have in creating animated features?
5. Describe Lantz's road to success.
6. What criticism does Maltin offers about Terry?
7. What is the significance of "Krazy Kat"?
8. Describe the struggles that Warner Brothers faced.
9. What problems were present in the character of Woody Woodpecker?
10. How did Iwerks differ from Disney in the way they worked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the contribution Walter Lantz gave to the animation industry. What did Lantz create that has continued to be relevant to modern animation? How successful do you rank Lantz? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the contributions, successes, and struggles of Winkler and Mintz. What did they do right? What did they do wrong? Why do you think Winkler and Mintz are more obscure than studios like Disney and Warner Brothers? Did they deserve more success than they received? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Walt Disney's animated features that you are familiar with. Analyze the aspects of animation that you think Walt Disney personally liked or would have liked. If it is a post-death piece, analyze whether or not it is true to Disney's high standards.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)