|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Mintz have a connection to?
2. What was Iwerks' record for drawings completed in a day?
3. Which of the following is a Warner Brothers feature?
4. When he went solo, what was the first character Iwerks created?
5. What was Paul Terry most interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paul Terry's rise to success.
2. Describe the injunction issued against Van Beuren's studio.
3. What did Terry think about music in his features?
4. Describe the characters Warner Brothers created.
5. Why was Warner Brothers so successful?
6. What role did synchronized music have in Van Beuren's studio?
7. Describe Mintz's transition to color from black and white.
8. How did Van Beuren obtain his own studio?
9. What is the significance of "Krazy Kat"?
10. Describe the effect that Iwerks career with Disney had on his success.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Van Beuren's career. What struggles did he face and what did he overcome? What contributions did Van Beuren make to the animation industry? Would you consider him successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the level of bias present in Maltin's book. What type of bias is there? Identify two examples. How are some of the animators vilified? Do you think this is fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes non-fiction pieces, even historical biographies, will include elements of bias. Bias shows the author's opinion. Is there any bias in Leonard Maltin's book? Can you tell which animators are discussed more favorably? Why or why not?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)