|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lantz close his studio?
2. What changed about Porky Pig over time?
3. What was Mintz's best cartoon?
4. Who did Iwerks sell his first series to?
5. In what year was "String Bean Jack" created?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the struggles that Warner Brothers faced.
2. Describe Mintz's transition to color from black and white.
3. What priorities did Mintz have in creating animated features?
4. Why was Warner Brothers so successful?
5. Describe the injunction issued against Van Beuren's studio.
6. What problems were present in the character of Woody Woodpecker?
7. Describe the Warner Brothers animators and their goals.
8. Describe the effect that Iwerks career with Disney had on his success.
9. What were Iwerks good and bad characteristics?
10. What role did synchronized music have in Van Beuren's studio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes non-fiction pieces, even historical biographies, will include elements of bias. Bias shows the author's opinion. Is there any bias in Leonard Maltin's book? Can you tell which animators are discussed more favorably? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the major studios (Paramount, Warner Bros) in the lives of smaller studios like those run by Walt Disney and Fleischer. Describe at least two instances of interference, either positive or negative. Then evaluate whether or not the major studio presence was negative or positive overall.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate Iwerks and his career. What struggles did he face? What did he overcome? What contribution did Iwerks make to the animation industry? Would you consider him successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)