|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Warner Brothers' skunk?
2. Who owned the rights to the three-color process?
3. What did Terry and Van Beuren fight over?
4. Who approached Terry for a partnership?
5. When did the modern version of Woody Woodpecker come about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the struggles that Warner Brothers faced.
2. How did Van Beuren obtain his own studio?
3. What problems were present in the character of Woody Woodpecker?
4. Describe the Warner Brothers animators and their goals.
5. Was Warner Brothers more successful than Disney? Why or why not?
6. Describe the characters Warner Brothers created.
7. Describe the injunction issued against Van Beuren's studio.
8. What priorities did Mintz have in creating animated features?
9. Describe the role of replication in Van Beuren's studio.
10. Was Van Beuren successful? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the level of bias present in Maltin's book. What type of bias is there? Identify two examples. How are some of the animators vilified? Do you think this is fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast UPA, MGM, and Paramount. Which studio was the most successful? The least? Identify unique qualities about each studio and then list similarities between the three.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the contribution Walter Lantz gave to the animation industry. What did Lantz create that has continued to be relevant to modern animation? How successful do you rank Lantz? Why?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)