|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was "String Bean Jack" created?
2. Which of the following best describes Van Beuren's animators?
3. In what year did Lantz get a job as a cameraman?
4. During the 1930s, where did most animators want to be?
5. Who did Mintz hire two animators from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you consider Lantz successful?
2. Describe Mintz's transition to color from black and white.
3. What priorities did Mintz have in creating animated features?
4. Describe the struggles that Warner Brothers faced.
5. How might Disney have felt vindicated by Universal hiring Lantz?
6. Describe the characters Warner Brothers created.
7. What problems were present in the character of Woody Woodpecker?
8. What criticism does Maltin offers about Terry?
9. Describe the Warner Brothers animators and their goals.
10. Describe Paul Terry's rise to success.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which studio made the biggest or most significant contribution to the animation industry? Why do you think this is true? Which studio can you learn the most from?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Warner Brothers and the studio's place in the animation industry. What role did the studio play in animation's history? What did the studio do wrong? What did it do right?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the major studios (Paramount, Warner Bros) in the lives of smaller studios like those run by Walt Disney and Fleischer. Describe at least two instances of interference, either positive or negative. Then evaluate whether or not the major studio presence was negative or positive overall.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)