|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Paul Terry films were produced in one year?
2. During the 1930s, where did most animators want to be?
3. Which character had its first appearance in "Gold Diggers of '49"?
4. What type of animal was Weakheart?
5. To whom did Mintz owe an overwhelming debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you consider Lantz successful?
2. Describe Mintz's transition to color from black and white.
3. Describe the struggles that Warner Brothers faced.
4. What problems were present in the character of Woody Woodpecker?
5. Describe the role of replication in Van Beuren's studio.
6. Was Warner Brothers more successful than Disney? Why or why not?
7. Was Van Beuren successful? Why or why not?
8. What is the significance of "Krazy Kat"?
9. Describe the effect that Iwerks career with Disney had on his success.
10. What criticism does Maltin offers about Terry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast UPA, MGM, and Paramount. Which studio was the most successful? The least? Identify unique qualities about each studio and then list similarities between the three.
Essay Topic 2
Of the animators Maltin focuses on, which is considered the most successful? Which one made the biggest contribution to the animation industry? Explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the military and war on the animation industry. How was Walter Lantz's career affected by war? Which other animators were directly affected by wars and how?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)