|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mintz when he died?
2. Who did Mintz farm work out to?
3. When was Lantz born?
4. What was Lantz's first animal success?
5. Who owned the rights to the three-color process?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Warner Brothers animators and their goals.
2. Describe Lantz's road to success.
3. What criticism does Maltin offers about Terry?
4. Describe the effect that Iwerks career with Disney had on his success.
5. What were Iwerks good and bad characteristics?
6. What is the significance of "Krazy Kat"?
7. How did Van Beuren obtain his own studio?
8. Describe Paul Terry's rise to success.
9. Describe the struggles that Warner Brothers faced.
10. What did Terry think about music in his features?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe McCay's career and inspiration. How did he become an animator and why did he choose to become one? What successes did he have? What were his downfalls? What contribution did McCay make to the animation industry as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the major studios (Paramount, Warner Bros) in the lives of smaller studios like those run by Walt Disney and Fleischer. Describe at least two instances of interference, either positive or negative. Then evaluate whether or not the major studio presence was negative or positive overall.
Essay Topic 3
Which studio made the biggest or most significant contribution to the animation industry? Why do you think this is true? Which studio can you learn the most from?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)