|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character did Max Fleischer create?
2. Which film was convincing enough to suggest that McCay was not tricking anybody?
3. Where did McCay prefer to make appearances?
4. Which of the following is often considered to be the first true animated cartoon?
5. When was Disney's last film released?
Short Essay Questions
1. What priorities did Mintz have in creating animated features?
2. What is the significance of "Krazy Kat"?
3. How did Mae West influence Fleischer's work?
4. Who was John Randolph Bray?
5. Why did short features die?
6. Which studio was the most successful?
7. Describe the role of replication in Van Beuren's studio.
8. What complications and struggles did McCay face?
9. Describe Paramount's success.
10. Which studio was the least successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the military and war on the animation industry. How was Walter Lantz's career affected by war? Which other animators were directly affected by wars and how?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the challenges that Walt Disney faced when creating his empire. Also describe the successes he had. What did he do right? What did he do wrong?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the major studios (Paramount, Warner Bros) in the lives of smaller studios like those run by Walt Disney and Fleischer. Describe at least two instances of interference, either positive or negative. Then evaluate whether or not the major studio presence was negative or positive overall.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)