|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes McCay's first feature?
2. Which character did Max Fleischer create?
3. Which of the following was Disney's first instant success?
4. What type of animal was Bimbo?
5. Which of the following was the name of one of Fleischer's first features?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did short features die?
2. Describe UPA's success.
3. Describe McCay's preferences as an animator in the film industry.
4. Describe Lantz's road to success.
5. Why was Tom and Jerry such a popular cartoon?
6. What were the consequences of Fleischer being a bad businessman?
7. Which studio was the most successful?
8. Why did it take so long for animation to gain popularity?
9. What was Fleischer's relationship with Paramount?
10. Describe the characters Warner Brothers created.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the level of bias present in Maltin's book. What type of bias is there? Identify two examples. How are some of the animators vilified? Do you think this is fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of Walt Disney's animated features that you are familiar with. Analyze the aspects of animation that you think Walt Disney personally liked or would have liked. If it is a post-death piece, analyze whether or not it is true to Disney's high standards.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the major studios (Paramount, Warner Bros) in the lives of smaller studios like those run by Walt Disney and Fleischer. Describe at least two instances of interference, either positive or negative. Then evaluate whether or not the major studio presence was negative or positive overall.
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)