|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fleischer miss out on?
2. Which character did Max Fleischer create?
3. What was Walt Disney's brother's name?
4. In the early days of animation, how many drawings were required per minute?
5. What was Disney able to do well that others could not?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "Little Nemo."
2. Why was the audience skeptical of McCay?
3. Describe Max Fleischer's body of work.
4. Describe McCay's preferences as an animator in the film industry.
5. What were the strengths of the Fleischer brothers? What were the weaknesses?
6. Describe Winsor McCay and his views.
7. Who was John Randolph Bray?
8. When and why did Disney begin to focus on creating theme parks?
9. Why do you think Leonard Maltin calls Max Fleischer an unsung hero?
10. What were the limits on early animation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least two rivalries present in the animation industry. Why did these rivalries come about? How were they resolved? Was there a clear "winner"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe McCay's career and inspiration. How did he become an animator and why did he choose to become one? What successes did he have? What were his downfalls? What contribution did McCay make to the animation industry as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the major studios (Paramount, Warner Bros) in the lives of smaller studios like those run by Walt Disney and Fleischer. Describe at least two instances of interference, either positive or negative. Then evaluate whether or not the major studio presence was negative or positive overall.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)