|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of job did Margaret Winkler have at Disney?
2. Where did Disney begin working as an ad man?
3. What did Fleischer patent?
4. What is described as a series of cartoons put in order to trick the viewer that movement is occurring?
5. Which is an example of a cartoon including live-action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the limits on early animation?
2. Describe Disney's rocky start in the animation industry.
3. Do you think Disney would have become successful today? Why or why not?
4. Describe Winsor McCay and his views.
5. Why did it take so long for animation to gain popularity?
6. Describe the difficulties involved in creating "Snow White."
7. Why did Disney lose the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit?
8. What were the consequences of Fleischer being a bad businessman?
9. What kept Disney on top of his competition?
10. Describe "Little Nemo."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which studio made the biggest or most significant contribution to the animation industry? Why do you think this is true? Which studio can you learn the most from?
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes non-fiction pieces, even historical biographies, will include elements of bias. Bias shows the author's opinion. Is there any bias in Leonard Maltin's book? Can you tell which animators are discussed more favorably? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the obstacles to early animation. What struggles did animators like McCay and Cohl overcome in creating animation?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)