|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to those that did not believe that animation was real, what was McCay using to trick the audience?
2. What is a nickname for celluloid?
3. Which of the following is not an early Disney feature?
4. What was Fleischer's most popular and long-lasting invention?
5. What did Fleischer patent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the strengths of the Fleischer brothers? What were the weaknesses?
2. Why did it take so long for animation to gain popularity?
3. Describe Disney's rocky start in the animation industry.
4. Describe the difficulties involved in creating "Snow White."
5. What complications and struggles did McCay face?
6. What were the consequences of Fleischer being a bad businessman?
7. Describe the machine that Bray created.
8. What were the limits on early animation?
9. Describe the "bouncing ball" that Fleischer created.
10. Describe Disney's enthusiasm for his work.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least two rivalries present in the animation industry. Why did these rivalries come about? How were they resolved? Was there a clear "winner"?
Essay Topic 2
Of the animators Maltin focuses on, which is considered the most successful? Which one made the biggest contribution to the animation industry? Explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Fleischer is underestimated? Describe his downfalls and successes and evaluate whether or not Fleischer deserves more popularity.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)