|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. McCay said that animation had unfortunately become what?
2. Which character did Max Fleischer create?
3. What was McCay's first feature?
4. In what year did McCay's first feature come out?
5. What was the number of workers that picketed Disney's studio while on strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Disney's enthusiasm for his work.
2. Describe the "bouncing ball" that Fleischer created.
3. Describe "Little Nemo."
4. Describe Winsor McCay and his views.
5. Describe McCay's inspiration and uprising.
6. What were the strengths of the Fleischer brothers? What were the weaknesses?
7. Why do you think Leonard Maltin calls Max Fleischer an unsung hero?
8. Describe Max Fleischer's body of work.
9. Who was John Randolph Bray?
10. What were the limits on early animation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Paul Terry's career as a whole. Was he successful? Why or why not? Describe the setbacks and failures that Terry experienced. How was he able to still be considered successful?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the level of bias present in Maltin's book. What type of bias is there? Identify two examples. How are some of the animators vilified? Do you think this is fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the contributions, successes, and struggles of Winkler and Mintz. What did they do right? What did they do wrong? Why do you think Winkler and Mintz are more obscure than studios like Disney and Warner Brothers? Did they deserve more success than they received? Why or why not?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)