|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was Disney's first instant success?
2. What type of animal was Bimbo?
3. When did Disney's focus move to his theme parks?
4. Who suspected that McCay was playing a trick on them?
5. When did Fleischer start his own company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Max Fleischer's body of work.
2. Describe McCay's preferences as an animator in the film industry.
3. Why did it take so long for animation to gain popularity?
4. When and why did Disney begin to focus on creating theme parks?
5. Describe the "bouncing ball" that Fleischer created.
6. Describe three of Disney's legendary works.
7. What complications and struggles did McCay face?
8. Describe Winsor McCay and his views.
9. Why do you think Leonard Maltin calls Max Fleischer an unsung hero?
10. Why did Disney's success slow down during World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asses Disney's enthusiasm for his work. How was this a good thing? How was his enthusiasm negative? Overall, what type of influence did it have and how do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the contribution Walter Lantz gave to the animation industry. What did Lantz create that has continued to be relevant to modern animation? How successful do you rank Lantz? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the major studios (Paramount, Warner Bros) in the lives of smaller studios like those run by Walt Disney and Fleischer. Describe at least two instances of interference, either positive or negative. Then evaluate whether or not the major studio presence was negative or positive overall.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)