|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following kept Disney on top in the animation industry?
2. Which of the following was a fault of Fleischer's?
3. What did Fleischer patent?
4. What was the number of workers that picketed Disney's studio while on strike?
5. Which film was convincing enough to suggest that McCay was not tricking anybody?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Disney's success slow down during World War II?
2. Describe Max Fleischer's body of work.
3. Why did Disney lose the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit?
4. Describe the "bouncing ball" that Fleischer created.
5. What were the strengths of the Fleischer brothers? What were the weaknesses?
6. Do you think Disney would have become successful today? Why or why not?
7. What were the differences between Max Fleischer and Dave Fleischer?
8. Why did it take so long for animation to gain popularity?
9. What were the limits on early animation?
10. How did Mae West influence Fleischer's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the obstacles to early animation. What struggles did animators like McCay and Cohl overcome in creating animation?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast UPA, MGM, and Paramount. Which studio was the most successful? The least? Identify unique qualities about each studio and then list similarities between the three.
Essay Topic 3
Describe McCay's career and inspiration. How did he become an animator and why did he choose to become one? What successes did he have? What were his downfalls? What contribution did McCay make to the animation industry as a whole?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)