|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described as a series of cartoons put in order to trick the viewer that movement is occurring?
2. Which of the following describes McCay's first feature?
3. Which of the following adjectives describes Disney's early career?
4. Where did Disney begin working as an ad man?
5. Which of the following best describes Disney's work ethic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Leonard Maltin calls Max Fleischer an unsung hero?
2. What were the limits on early animation?
3. How did Mae West influence Fleischer's work?
4. What was Fleischer's relationship with Paramount?
5. Describe the machine that Bray created.
6. Why did Disney lose the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit?
7. Describe McCay's inspiration and uprising.
8. Why did Disney's success slow down during World War II?
9. Describe the "bouncing ball" that Fleischer created.
10. Why was the audience skeptical of McCay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Warner Brothers and the studio's place in the animation industry. What role did the studio play in animation's history? What did the studio do wrong? What did it do right?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Paul Terry's career as a whole. Was he successful? Why or why not? Describe the setbacks and failures that Terry experienced. How was he able to still be considered successful?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast UPA, MGM, and Paramount. Which studio was the most successful? The least? Identify unique qualities about each studio and then list similarities between the three.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)