|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Fleischer's biggest competition?
2. What is a nickname for celluloid?
3. Where was Winsor McCay from?
4. Who of the following was one of Disney's co-workers?
5. What is considered the first animated cartoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe McCay's inspiration and uprising.
2. Why did it take so long for animation to gain popularity?
3. Describe Disney's enthusiasm for his work.
4. Why was the audience skeptical of McCay?
5. What were the strengths of the Fleischer brothers? What were the weaknesses?
6. Describe the strike that Disney employees put on.
7. Why do you think Leonard Maltin calls Max Fleischer an unsung hero?
8. Do you think Disney would have become successful today? Why or why not?
9. What was Fleischer's relationship with Paramount?
10. Why did Disney lose the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Walt Disney's animated features that you are familiar with. Analyze the aspects of animation that you think Walt Disney personally liked or would have liked. If it is a post-death piece, analyze whether or not it is true to Disney's high standards.
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes non-fiction pieces, even historical biographies, will include elements of bias. Bias shows the author's opinion. Is there any bias in Leonard Maltin's book? Can you tell which animators are discussed more favorably? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate Iwerks and his career. What struggles did he face? What did he overcome? What contribution did Iwerks make to the animation industry? Would you consider him successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)