|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to McCay, what should animation be?
2. When was Red Seal Pictures formed?
3. McCay said that animation had unfortunately become what?
4. Which of the following was Disney's first instant success?
5. In the early days of animation, how many drawings were required per minute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which studio was the most successful?
2. Why was the audience skeptical of McCay?
3. Describe the "bouncing ball" that Fleischer created.
4. Describe the difficulties involved in creating "Snow White."
5. Describe Winsor McCay and his views.
6. How did Van Beuren obtain his own studio?
7. Why was Warner Brothers so successful?
8. Describe Mintz's transition to color from black and white.
9. Describe MGM's success.
10. Describe Disney's enthusiasm for his work.
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least two rivalries present in the animation industry. Why did these rivalries come about? How were they resolved? Was there a clear "winner"?
Essay Topic 2
Of the animators Maltin focuses on, which is considered the most successful? Which one made the biggest contribution to the animation industry? Explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the military and war on the animation industry. How was Walter Lantz's career affected by war? Which other animators were directly affected by wars and how?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)