|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Viceroy stay when he comes to New Grenada?
(a) The convent.
(b) The fanciest inn.
(c) The Marquis's mansion.
(d) The Bishop's palace.
2. Whom does Sierva befriend when she first comes to the convent?
(a) The slave women.
(b) The cook.
(c) The seamstress.
(d) The novices from Africa.
3. How does the Abbess feel about the Bishop?
(a) She resents him.
(b) She likes him but does not respect him.
(c) She is in love with him.
(d) She trusts him.
4. What fictional character is associated with the book that Dr. Abrenuncio gives to Cayetano?
(b) Don Juan DeMarco.
(c) Don Quixote.
5. In the Viceroy's painting, what is surrounding Sierva?
(a) Obedient demons.
(c) Men who look like Cayetano.
6. How does Cayetano react to Sierva's violent fit at the end of chapter four?
(a) He becomes aroused.
(b) He grows sad.
(c) He becomes sick.
(d) He grows angry.
7. How was food brought to the convent during the fighting between the Bishop and the Santa Clara convent in the earlier centuries?
(a) Courier pigeons.
(b) Bundles thrown from the trees.
(c) Bundles tied to arrows shot over the walls.
(d) A secret tunnel.
8. About how many nuns reside in the convent?
9. When the nuns steal Sierva's necklaces, what happens that forces the women to return the jewelry?
(a) The Abbess catches them and forces the nuns to apologize.
(b) One of the nuns breaks her neck on a low hanging candelabrum.
(c) One of the nuns falls down the steps while running away.
(d) Sierva grows sick.
10. How does Cayetano, in chapter three, win Sierva's trust?
(a) He brushes the girl's hair.
(b) He helps her bathe.
(c) He brings the girl fresh fruit.
(d) He buys the girl fresh pastries.
11. What does Sierva predict during her first encounter with Cayetano?
(a) She will be released soon.
(b) She will die soon.
(c) The Bishop will take her away.
(d) She will never be free again.
12. In what state is Cayetano over Sierva during the Viceroy's visit?
(a) He despairs of her heresy.
(b) He is exhausted from trying to help her.
(c) He is obsessed with her.
(d) He feels disgusted by her.
13. What realization do the doctor and priest have about Sierva?
(a) She is probably possessed.
(b) She is manipulating everyone in order to escape her family.
(c) They cannot save her from the Church.
(d) She will likely commit suicide.
14. When she first meets the Abbess, how does Sierva behave?
(a) She is very respectful to the Abbess.
(b) She acts violently and refuses to speak.
(c) She faints.
(d) She screams blasphemous phrases.
15. In chapter four, what does Bernarda choose to do?
(a) Abandons her drug use for her family.
(b) Force the Bishop to release her daughter.
(c) Abandon her family for drugs.
(d) Start an affair with Cayetano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Abbess's name?
2. Who, upon her arrival, takes a special interest in Sierva?
3. In Dr. Abrenuncio's view, what is an exorcism?
4. How does the Abbess feel about the South American aristocrats?
5. How does Cayetano learn about the demons that he believes are controlling Sierva in Chapter 3?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)