|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Cayetano staring into the sun for too long in the beginning of chapter four?
(a) He can no longer see color in one eye.
(b) He can still see, but has no depth perception.
(c) He is blind in one eye.
(d) He still sees eclipse out of one eye.
2. How does Sierva act around the nuns when people start claiming she is center of all evil in the convent?
(a) She pretends to speak in demonic voices.
(b) She protests her innocence.
(c) She prays at all hours in hopes that everyone notices her piety.
(d) She pretends that the demons are forcing her to hurt herself.
3. At the end of the chapter three, what is Cayetano reading in regards to Sierva?
(a) Love poems.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Books on exorcism.
(d) Books on African folklore.
4. Where in the convent is Sierva initially kept?
(a) The Abbess's room.
(b) The seamstress's office.
(c) The jail.
(d) The slave quarters.
5. What does Cayetano tell Sierva in chapter four to comfort her?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He will free her.
(c) He believes that she will be free.
(d) He trusts her.
6. During her violent fit in chapter three, what does Sierva inadvertently destroy?
(a) The candles.
(b) The convent's crops.
(c) The convent's beehives.
(d) The convent's sacred cross.
7. Who, upon her arrival, takes a special interest in Sierva?
(a) The Marquis's third wife.
(b) The Viceroy's mistress.
(c) The Abbess's sister.
(d) The Vicereine.
8. When Cayetano is sent to see Sierva in chapter four, how is she dressed?
(a) In boy's clothing.
(b) Fine clothes and jewels.
(c) In rags.
(d) As a nun.
9. When the nuns steal Sierva's necklaces, what happens that forces the women to return the jewelry?
(a) One of the nuns falls down the steps while running away.
(b) Sierva grows sick.
(c) One of the nuns breaks her neck on a low hanging candelabrum.
(d) The Abbess catches them and forces the nuns to apologize.
10. In his second meeting with Sierva, what happens when Cayetano lets the girl loose?
(a) She kisses him.
(b) She kicks him.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She bites him.
11. How does Cayetano distract himself from his desire for Sierva at the end of chapter four?
(a) He reads the love poems.
(b) He reads the Bible.
(c) He whips himself.
(d) He hangs himself.
12. How do Cayetano and Dr. Abrenuncio communicate?
13. How the Viceroy and his wife changed Sierva's cell?
(a) They have arranged for her to have a single cell.
(b) They added more restraints to hold her down.
(c) They added flowers.
(d) They made it look nicer and more comfortable.
14. What is striking about Sierva's dream as she relates it to Cayetano?
(a) The Bishop had the exact same dream a few nights earlier.
(b) He wrote a story that sounds a lot like her dream.
(c) He was featured in the dream as Sierva's lover.
(d) He had the same dream before meeting her.
15. What does Sierva predict during her first encounter with Cayetano?
(a) The Bishop will take her away.
(b) She will be released soon.
(c) She will never be free again.
(d) She will die soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Abbess list off as signs of Sierva's demonic powers to Cayetano?
2. According to the Bishop, what is the main problem with maintaining faith in the New World?
3. Who in the convent is separated completely from the outside world?
4. Where does the Viceroy stay when he comes to New Grenada?
5. What does Cayetano wear before he goes to see Sierva in Chapter 4?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)