|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although he is assigned as Sierva's exorcist, what is Cayetano's true desire for his career?
2. Who, upon her arrival, takes a special interest in Sierva?
(a) The Viceroy's mistress.
(b) The Abbess's sister.
(c) The Vicereine.
(d) The Marquis's third wife.
3. What does Sierva predict during her first encounter with Cayetano?
(a) She will never be free again.
(b) She will be released soon.
(c) The Bishop will take her away.
(d) She will die soon.
4. What information does Dr. Abrenuncio impart to Cayetano?
(a) Sierva is at risk for developing rabies.
(b) Sierva was abused by her mother.
(c) The town is gossiping about Cayetano's relationship with Sierva.
(d) The history of rabies and whether Sierva is at risk.
5. In their meeting, over what issue do the Bishop and Viceroy clash?
(b) Slave trade.
(c) The conditions of the poor.
6. Whom does Sierva befriend when she first comes to the convent?
(a) The slave women.
(b) The cook.
(c) The seamstress.
(d) The novices from Africa.
7. In his second meeting with Sierva, what happens when Cayetano lets the girl loose?
(a) She bites him.
(b) She kisses him.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She kicks him.
8. In the Governor's dinner for the Viceroy, what is the entertainment?
(a) A nun playing the harp.
(b) A nude Abyssinian woman.
(c) Sierva speaking in demonic voices.
(d) Slaves singing.
9. Who in the convent is separated completely from the outside world?
(a) The slaves.
(b) The prisoners.
(c) The novices.
(d) The nuns.
10. At the very end of chapter three, what sort of complaint does Cayetano lodge on Sierva's behalf?
(a) Bad food.
(b) Unsanitary washing conditions.
(c) Uncomfortable lodgings.
(d) Cruel punishments from the Abbess.
11. In chapter three, what causes Sierva to become violently hysterical?
(a) The Bishop attempts to perform an exorcism.
(b) The nuns try to clean her self-inflicted wounds.
(c) The nuns try to steal her necklaces.
(d) The nuns try to cut her hair.
12. What does the Viceroy believe about Sierva?
(a) He believes she is indeed possessed.
(b) He believes that she is the illegitimate daughter of the Bishop.
(c) He does not believe the girl is possessed.
(d) He believes that she is dying.
13. When Cayetano is sent to see Sierva in chapter four, how is she dressed?
(a) As a nun.
(b) In boy's clothing.
(c) In rags.
(d) Fine clothes and jewels.
14. What is the new Viceroy's name?
(a) Don Roberto du Bueno.
(b) Don Roberto de Buen Lozagos.
(c) Don Rodrigo de Buen Lozano.
(d) Don Pedro de Buen Lozano.
15. How the Viceroy and his wife changed Sierva's cell?
(a) They have arranged for her to have a single cell.
(b) They added flowers.
(c) They made it look nicer and more comfortable.
(d) They added more restraints to hold her down.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cayetano learn about the demons that he believes are controlling Sierva in Chapter 3?
2. How does Cayetano, in chapter three, win Sierva's trust?
3. How does the Abbess feel about the South American aristocrats?
4. According to the Bishop, what is the main problem with maintaining faith in the New World?
5. In chapter four, what does Bernarda choose to do?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)