|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What document does the Bishop use as evidence of Sierva's demonic possession?
(a) A book on African demons.
(b) The Koran.
(c) The Acta.
(d) The Bible.
2. According to the Bishop's document, what is some information that points to Sierva's assured possession?
(a) She has blasphemously long hair.
(b) She has strange marks on her body.
(c) She can converse with the wildlife around her.
(d) She speaks in African languages and stays with the slaves.
3. When the Abbess drags Sierva away from the slave quarters in chapter three, how does Sierva react?
(a) She defecates herself.
(b) She urinates on herself.
(c) She faints.
(d) She screams obscenities at all the passing nuns.
4. Who recognizes Sierva's jewelry upon the girl's arrival to the convent?
(a) The novices from Africa.
(b) The seamstress.
(c) The slave women.
(d) The cook.
5. How does Cayetano learn about the demons that he believes are controlling Sierva in Chapter 3?
(a) He listens to gossip on the streets.
(b) He reads about them in the Bishop's library.
(c) He reads about African culture.
(d) He listens to the slaves' stories.
6. In the Viceroy's painting, what is surrounding Sierva?
(a) Obedient demons.
(b) Men who look like Cayetano.
7. What skill does Martina teach Sierva?
(a) Braiding her hair.
8. What information does Cayetano give to the Bishop after the natural event of chapter four?
(a) He says that Sierva is not possessed.
(b) He says that Sierva is possessed.
(c) He says that Sierva is manipulating everyone into believing she is possessed.
(d) He says that Sierva is being abused.
9. How does Cayetano react to the Abbess's attempted hysteria when he first meets Sierva?
(a) He calms the nun down and makes her tea.
(b) He sympathizes with the Abbess and turns all of his attention to her.
(c) He tells the nun to calm down and leave.
(d) He encourages the nun.
10. According to the Bishop, what is the main problem with maintaining faith in the New World?
(a) Heretics like the doctor.
(b) Youths running wild with no discipline.
(c) The amount of disease that the slaves have brought.
(d) Interracial marriages.
11. What does Cayetano tell Sierva in chapter four to comfort her?
(a) He will free her.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He believes that she will be free.
(d) He trusts her.
12. What request does the Abbess make to the Bishop in regards to Sierva?
(a) She wants to turn the girl out onto the streets.
(b) She no longer wants to be responsible for the girl.
(c) She wants to execute the girl for heresy.
(d) She wants to perform the exorcism herself.
13. How does Cayetano, in chapter three, win Sierva's trust?
(a) He brings the girl fresh fruit.
(b) He buys the girl fresh pastries.
(c) He brushes the girl's hair.
(d) He helps her bathe.
14. In chapter three, where does the Abbess first find Sierva in the convent?
(a) The Abbess's office.
(b) The classrooms.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The slave quarters.
15. Who finds Cayetano in a sorry state at the end of chapter four?
(a) The Marquis.
(b) Dr. Abrenuncio.
(c) The Bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Abbess's name?
2. How does Sierva defend her jewelry from the nuns?
3. How does Cayetano react to Sierva's violent fit at the end of chapter four?
4. What realization does Bernarda make in chapter four?
5. How old is Father Cayetano?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)