|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Vicereine do in retaliation of the Governor's entertainment at the Viceroy's dinner?
(a) She slaps the Governor.
(b) She brings Sierva to dinner with the Abbess.
(c) She buys the Abyssinian woman and sets her free.
(d) She leaves her husband.
2. What information does Dr. Abrenuncio impart to Cayetano?
(a) The town is gossiping about Cayetano's relationship with Sierva.
(b) Sierva is at risk for developing rabies.
(c) The history of rabies and whether Sierva is at risk.
(d) Sierva was abused by her mother.
3. What fictional character is associated with the book that Dr. Abrenuncio gives to Cayetano?
(c) Don Juan DeMarco.
(d) Don Quixote.
4. When she first meets the Abbess, how does Sierva behave?
(a) She screams blasphemous phrases.
(b) She is very respectful to the Abbess.
(c) She acts violently and refuses to speak.
(d) She faints.
5. What request does the Abbess make to the Bishop in regards to Sierva?
(a) She wants to execute the girl for heresy.
(b) She no longer wants to be responsible for the girl.
(c) She wants to perform the exorcism herself.
(d) She wants to turn the girl out onto the streets.
6. What does Sierva predict during her first encounter with Cayetano?
(a) She will be released soon.
(b) She will never be free again.
(c) The Bishop will take her away.
(d) She will die soon.
7. In chapter three, where does the Abbess first find Sierva in the convent?
(a) The Abbess's office.
(b) The slave quarters.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The classrooms.
8. While writing love poems to Sierva, what memory seizes Cayetano?
(a) He remembers being Sierva's age and being beaten by his father.
(b) He remembers a woman he loved who died tragically.
(c) He remembers going to jail at 17-years-old, which led to becoming a priest.
(d) He remembers the Rector throwing away a treasured book.
9. Where does the Viceroy stay when he comes to New Grenada?
(a) The Bishop's palace.
(b) The Marquis's mansion.
(c) The fanciest inn.
(d) The convent.
10. In their meeting, over what issue do the Bishop and Viceroy clash?
(b) The conditions of the poor.
(d) Slave trade.
11. Although he is assigned as Sierva's exorcist, what is Cayetano's true desire for his career?
12. In chapter three, to whom does the Marquis turn when he realizes he wants to get Sierva out of the convent?
(b) The Abbess.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) Dr. Abrenuncio.
13. What skill does Martina teach Sierva?
(a) Braiding her hair.
14. When Cayetano first meets Sierva, how is the girl being restrained?
(a) Sierva is tied to a cross.
(c) Sierva is tied down on a stone bed.
(d) Sierva is chained to the wall.
15. How does Cayetano distract himself from his desire for Sierva at the end of chapter four?
(a) He reads the love poems.
(b) He hangs himself.
(c) He whips himself.
(d) He reads the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Dr. Abrenuncio's view, what is an exorcism?
2. How does Cayetano react to Sierva's violent fit at the end of chapter four?
3. What forbidden activity is used to celebrate the arrival of the Viceroy?
4. What is Martina Laborde imprisoned for?
5. What is striking about Sierva's dream as she relates it to Cayetano?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)