|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter three, where does the Abbess first find Sierva in the convent?
(a) The classrooms.
(b) The Abbess's office.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The slave quarters.
2. Who, upon her arrival, takes a special interest in Sierva?
(a) The Vicereine.
(b) The Viceroy's mistress.
(c) The Abbess's sister.
(d) The Marquis's third wife.
3. When she first meets the Abbess, how does Sierva behave?
(a) She faints.
(b) She is very respectful to the Abbess.
(c) She screams blasphemous phrases.
(d) She acts violently and refuses to speak.
4. Who recognizes Sierva's jewelry upon the girl's arrival to the convent?
(a) The slave women.
(b) The novices from Africa.
(c) The seamstress.
(d) The cook.
5. What does the Vicereine do in retaliation of the Governor's entertainment at the Viceroy's dinner?
(a) She leaves her husband.
(b) She brings Sierva to dinner with the Abbess.
(c) She buys the Abyssinian woman and sets her free.
(d) She slaps the Governor.
6. Where in the convent is Sierva initially kept?
(a) The seamstress's office.
(b) The slave quarters.
(c) The jail.
(d) The Abbess's room.
7. How does Cayetano distract himself from his desire for Sierva at the end of chapter four?
(a) He reads the Bible.
(b) He hangs himself.
(c) He whips himself.
(d) He reads the love poems.
8. While visiting with the Bishop and Cayetano, what plans does the Viceroy bring up?
(a) Taking over another town to add to New Grenada's wealth.
(b) Releasing the slaves.
(c) Annexing the town.
(d) Increasing trade and prosperity in New Grenada.
9. How does Sierva defend her jewelry from the nuns?
(a) She punches the nuns.
(b) She screams for help.
(c) She spits at the nuns.
(d) She bites the nuns.
10. When Cayetano first meets Sierva, how is the girl being restrained?
(a) Sierva is tied down on a stone bed.
(b) Sierva is chained to the wall.
(c) Sierva is tied to a cross.
11. How does Cayetano, in chapter three, win Sierva's trust?
(a) He buys the girl fresh pastries.
(b) He brings the girl fresh fruit.
(c) He brushes the girl's hair.
(d) He helps her bathe.
12. What does Cayetano wear before he goes to see Sierva in Chapter 4?
(a) A vestment.
(b) A scarf that belongs to Sierva.
(c) An eye patch
(d) A cast on his arm.
13. In their meeting, over what issue do the Bishop and Viceroy clash?
(c) Slave trade.
(d) The conditions of the poor.
14. In chapter four, what does Bernarda choose to do?
(a) Force the Bishop to release her daughter.
(b) Start an affair with Cayetano.
(c) Abandons her drug use for her family.
(d) Abandon her family for drugs.
15. During her violent fit in chapter three, what does Sierva inadvertently destroy?
(a) The convent's crops.
(b) The candles.
(c) The convent's sacred cross.
(d) The convent's beehives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Abbess's name?
2. In chapter three, to whom does the Marquis turn when he realizes he wants to get Sierva out of the convent?
3. What document does the Bishop use as evidence of Sierva's demonic possession?
4. When the nuns steal Sierva's necklaces, what happens that forces the women to return the jewelry?
5. Who in the convent is separated completely from the outside world?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)