|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Cayetano staring into the sun for too long in the beginning of chapter four?
(a) He is blind in one eye.
(b) He can no longer see color in one eye.
(c) He can still see, but has no depth perception.
(d) He still sees eclipse out of one eye.
2. What book does Dr. Abrenuncio show Cayetano?
(a) A book on atheism.
(b) The book that was taken away from the priest while at school
(d) The book that Cayetano tried to give Sierva.
3. What fictional character is associated with the book that Dr. Abrenuncio gives to Cayetano?
(c) Don Quixote.
(d) Don Juan DeMarco.
4. How does the Abbess feel about the South American aristocrats?
(a) She mocks them.
(b) She believes they are trying to do good but failing.
(c) She respects them.
(d) She finds them to heretical.
5. When the Abbess drags Sierva away from the slave quarters in chapter three, how does Sierva react?
(a) She urinates on herself.
(b) She faints.
(c) She screams obscenities at all the passing nuns.
(d) She defecates herself.
6. What does the Abbess list off as signs of Sierva's demonic powers to Cayetano?
(a) The smells from her cell.
(b) Her strange voices.
(c) Her odd-colored eyes.
(d) The behavior of the birds and plants.
7. How was food brought to the convent during the fighting between the Bishop and the Santa Clara convent in the earlier centuries?
(a) Courier pigeons.
(b) Bundles thrown from the trees.
(c) Bundles tied to arrows shot over the walls.
(d) A secret tunnel.
8. When Cayetano is sent to see Sierva in chapter four, how is she dressed?
(a) Fine clothes and jewels.
(b) As a nun.
(c) In rags.
(d) In boy's clothing.
9. At the end of the chapter three, what is Cayetano reading in regards to Sierva?
(a) Books on exorcism.
(b) Books on African folklore.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Love poems.
10. In what state is Cayetano over Sierva during the Viceroy's visit?
(a) He despairs of her heresy.
(b) He feels disgusted by her.
(c) He is exhausted from trying to help her.
(d) He is obsessed with her.
11. How does Cayetano distract himself from his desire for Sierva at the end of chapter four?
(a) He reads the Bible.
(b) He reads the love poems.
(c) He whips himself.
(d) He hangs himself.
12. In the Governor's dinner for the Viceroy, what is the entertainment?
(a) A nude Abyssinian woman.
(b) Slaves singing.
(c) Sierva speaking in demonic voices.
(d) A nun playing the harp.
13. What realization does Bernarda make in chapter four?
(a) She is dying soon.
(b) She loves her daughter.
(c) She has abused Sierva.
(d) Sierva is gone.
14. Where does the Viceroy stay when he comes to New Grenada?
(a) The Bishop's palace.
(b) The convent.
(c) The fanciest inn.
(d) The Marquis's mansion.
15. Who, upon her arrival, takes a special interest in Sierva?
(a) The Vicereine.
(b) The Viceroy's mistress.
(c) The Marquis's third wife.
(d) The Abbess's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sierva defend her jewelry from the nuns?
2. What is the new Viceroy's name?
3. What document does the Bishop use as evidence of Sierva's demonic possession?
4. During her violent fit in chapter three, what does Sierva inadvertently destroy?
5. What skill does Martina teach Sierva?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)