|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in the convent is Sierva initially kept?
(a) The seamstress's office.
(b) The Abbess's room.
(c) The jail.
(d) The slave quarters.
2. What information does Cayetano give to the Bishop after the natural event of chapter four?
(a) He says that Sierva is not possessed.
(b) He says that Sierva is possessed.
(c) He says that Sierva is manipulating everyone into believing she is possessed.
(d) He says that Sierva is being abused.
3. At the end of the chapter three, what is Cayetano reading in regards to Sierva?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Books on exorcism.
(c) Love poems.
(d) Books on African folklore.
4. What information does Dr. Abrenuncio impart to Cayetano?
(a) Sierva was abused by her mother.
(b) Sierva is at risk for developing rabies.
(c) The history of rabies and whether Sierva is at risk.
(d) The town is gossiping about Cayetano's relationship with Sierva.
5. In Dr. Abrenuncio's view, what is an exorcism?
(a) A humane way to cure madness.
(b) A necessary evil.
(c) A psychosomatic cure.
(d) Torture and destruction.
6. What is the rank of the nuns who abandon Sierva when she first arrives at the convent?
7. How does Cayetano distract himself from his desire for Sierva at the end of chapter four?
(a) He whips himself.
(b) He reads the Bible.
(c) He reads the love poems.
(d) He hangs himself.
8. At the end of chapter four, what does Sierva refuse to do?
(a) Visit with Cayetano.
(b) Visit with Dr. Abrenuncio.
(c) Visit with her father.
(d) Visit with her mother.
9. How does Sierva act around the nuns when people start claiming she is center of all evil in the convent?
(a) She protests her innocence.
(b) She pretends to speak in demonic voices.
(c) She prays at all hours in hopes that everyone notices her piety.
(d) She pretends that the demons are forcing her to hurt herself.
10. Who, upon her arrival, takes a special interest in Sierva?
(a) The Abbess's sister.
(b) The Viceroy's mistress.
(c) The Marquis's third wife.
(d) The Vicereine.
11. How does Cayetano learn about the demons that he believes are controlling Sierva in Chapter 3?
(a) He listens to gossip on the streets.
(b) He reads about African culture.
(c) He reads about them in the Bishop's library.
(d) He listens to the slaves' stories.
12. What is the new Viceroy's name?
(a) Don Rodrigo de Buen Lozano.
(b) Don Roberto du Bueno.
(c) Don Pedro de Buen Lozano.
(d) Don Roberto de Buen Lozagos.
13. What request does the Abbess make to the Bishop in regards to Sierva?
(a) She wants to perform the exorcism herself.
(b) She wants to turn the girl out onto the streets.
(c) She no longer wants to be responsible for the girl.
(d) She wants to execute the girl for heresy.
14. In the Governor's dinner for the Viceroy, what is the entertainment?
(a) A nun playing the harp.
(b) A nude Abyssinian woman.
(c) Slaves singing.
(d) Sierva speaking in demonic voices.
15. When Cayetano first meets Sierva, how is the girl being restrained?
(a) Sierva is tied to a cross.
(c) Sierva is chained to the wall.
(d) Sierva is tied down on a stone bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Dr. Abrenuncio show Cayetano?
2. In chapter four, what does Bernarda choose to do?
3. How does Cayetano react to Sierva's violent fit at the end of chapter four?
4. How was food brought to the convent during the fighting between the Bishop and the Santa Clara convent in the earlier centuries?
5. Although he is assigned as Sierva's exorcist, what is Cayetano's true desire for his career?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)