|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Viceroy's painting, what is surrounding Sierva?
(a) Obedient demons.
(b) Men who look like Cayetano.
2. How old is Father Cayetano?
3. What is striking about Sierva's dream as she relates it to Cayetano?
(a) He wrote a story that sounds a lot like her dream.
(b) He was featured in the dream as Sierva's lover.
(c) He had the same dream before meeting her.
(d) The Bishop had the exact same dream a few nights earlier.
4. In chapter three, what causes Sierva to become violently hysterical?
(a) The nuns try to steal her necklaces.
(b) The nuns try to cut her hair.
(c) The Bishop attempts to perform an exorcism.
(d) The nuns try to clean her self-inflicted wounds.
5. When Cayetano is sent to see Sierva in chapter four, how is she dressed?
(a) Fine clothes and jewels.
(b) In rags.
(c) As a nun.
(d) In boy's clothing.
6. What does the Abbess list off as signs of Sierva's demonic powers to Cayetano?
(a) The behavior of the birds and plants.
(b) The smells from her cell.
(c) Her strange voices.
(d) Her odd-colored eyes.
7. How does the Abbess feel about the Bishop?
(a) She resents him.
(b) She trusts him.
(c) She likes him but does not respect him.
(d) She is in love with him.
8. In chapter three, to whom does the Marquis turn when he realizes he wants to get Sierva out of the convent?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) Dr. Abrenuncio.
(c) The Abbess.
9. What is Martina Laborde imprisoned for?
(a) Murdering a priest who tried to assault her.
(b) Murdering other nuns.
10. Whom does Sierva befriend when she first comes to the convent?
(a) The novices from Africa.
(b) The cook.
(c) The seamstress.
(d) The slave women.
11. Although he is assigned as Sierva's exorcist, what is Cayetano's true desire for his career?
12. At the very end of chapter three, what sort of complaint does Cayetano lodge on Sierva's behalf?
(a) Unsanitary washing conditions.
(b) Bad food.
(c) Cruel punishments from the Abbess.
(d) Uncomfortable lodgings.
13. Who recognizes Sierva's jewelry upon the girl's arrival to the convent?
(a) The cook.
(b) The slave women.
(c) The novices from Africa.
(d) The seamstress.
14. In the Governor's dinner for the Viceroy, what is the entertainment?
(a) Sierva speaking in demonic voices.
(b) A nun playing the harp.
(c) Slaves singing.
(d) A nude Abyssinian woman.
15. What realization does Bernarda make in chapter four?
(a) She has abused Sierva.
(b) She is dying soon.
(c) Sierva is gone.
(d) She loves her daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cayetano wear before he goes to see Sierva in Chapter 4?
2. According to the Bishop, what is the main problem with maintaining faith in the New World?
3. What is the result of Cayetano staring into the sun for too long in the beginning of chapter four?
4. When she first meets the Abbess, how does Sierva behave?
5. In chapter three, where does the Abbess first find Sierva in the convent?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)