|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the doctor doubt that Sierva has rabies?
(a) The bite was superficial.
(b) People of her racial background tend to be immune to rabies.
(c) The dog did not have rabies.
(d) She was bitten by another animal, not the rabid dog.
2. What are Bernarda Cabrera's two drugs of choice?
(a) Cocaine and rum.
(b) Fermented grapes and marijuana.
(c) Fermented honey and raw cacao.
(d) Opiates and fermented barley.
3. How does the Marquis learn to read and write?
(a) He communicates with the mad woman next door.
(b) He watches from outside a classroom window while a teacher goes through the alphabet.
(c) He reads the Bible.
(d) He simply picked up a book and figured it out.
4. What does Bernarda believe was the beginning of her downfall?
(a) Her marriage to the Marquis.
(b) Her affair with Judas.
(c) Giving birth to Sierva.
(d) Her arrival in New Grenada.
5. How does Judas die?
(a) Murdered for his drugs.
(c) Beaten to death in a bar fight.
(d) Drug overdose.
6. What do the fireworks remind Bernarda and Ygnacio about?
(a) Their wedding day.
(c) Sierva's birthday.
(d) The death of Ygnacio's first wife.
7. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
(a) Send her away from New Grenada.
(b) He needs to take her to the Bishop for help.
(c) He needs to be nice and treat her well.
(d) Leave her alone.
8. Why is the animal that bit Sierva in the marketplace killed?
(a) It has no owner.
(b) It killed a cat.
(c) It has rabies.
(d) It was nearly dead from starvation.
9. Why is she going to the market?
(a) It is her birthday.
(b) She wants to buy a dog.
(c) Her mother sent her.
(d) She is bored and wants to get into trouble.
10. From what continent do Sierva's language skills come from?
(c) North America.
11. How long ago did the twelve-year-old girl of the legend die?
(a) 500 years ago.
(b) 300 years ago.
(c) 400 years ago.
(d) 200 years ago.
12. How did the twelve-year-old girl from the legend die?
13. At the end of chapter two, what does the narrator state will happen to Sierva?
(a) Sierva will never leave the convent alive.
(b) Sierva will spend five years in the convent.
(c) Sierva will run away from New Grenada.
(d) Sierva will die attempting to run away.
14. Where does Sierva spend all her time?
(a) The sugarcane fields.
(b) The market.
(c) Slave quarters.
(d) The church.
15. Why do Bernarda and Ygnacio marry?
(a) Bernarda purposefully becomes pregnant.
(b) Ygnacio will lose his inheritance if he does not marry.
(c) They do not want to grow old alone.
(d) Bernarda admits she loves him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of the doctor's visits, what is beginning to change in Sierva and Ygnacio's relationship?
2. How does Bernarda feel about Sierva?
3. What are the slaves sent to do towards the end of chapter one?
4. How does Bernarda know Ygnacio before they got married?
5. How does Bernarda bring back the Marquis's wealth?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)