|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of the doctor's visits, what is beginning to change in Sierva and Ygnacio's relationship?
(a) She is beginning to communicate with her father.
(b) Sierva resents her father more.
(c) Ygnacio stops communicating with his daughter.
(d) They begin to read together.
2. What was Bernarda Cabrera's position before she and Ygnacio married?
3. Why is the animal that bit Sierva in the marketplace killed?
(a) It has no owner.
(b) It killed a cat.
(c) It has rabies.
(d) It was nearly dead from starvation.
4. What does the Bishop tell the Marquis about his daughter?
(a) She must be baptized.
(b) She is not mad, but undisciplined.
(c) She is going to die.
(d) She is possessed by demons.
5. Where does the next scene of chapter one take place?
(d) New Grenada.
6. Who is the narrator of this novel?
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The author.
7. What does Ygnacio's father forbid?
(a) He forbids going to church.
(b) He forbids Olivia from eating.
(c) He forbids Ygnacio to marry Dulce Olivia.
(d) He forbids Ygnacio from dancing and singing.
8. What action takes place that has the Bishop stepping in to check on Sierva?
(a) Sierva attempts suicide.
(b) Sagunta, in an attempt to cure Sierva, ends up rolling around naked with the girl while covered in grease.
(c) Sagunta tries to replace all of Sierva's "tainted" blood.
(d) Sierva tries to run away and goes to the church for help.
9. How does the Marquis learn to read and write?
(a) He reads the Bible.
(b) He simply picked up a book and figured it out.
(c) He watches from outside a classroom window while a teacher goes through the alphabet.
(d) He communicates with the mad woman next door.
10. How does Judas die?
(a) Murdered for his drugs.
(c) Beaten to death in a bar fight.
(d) Drug overdose.
11. How did the Marquis's father view him when he was younger?
(a) Mentally retarded.
(c) Smart, but unfocused.
(d) Too much of a wanderer to settle down.
12. What does the bishop say the Marquis must do to save Sierva?
(a) He must send Sierva to Italy.
(b) He must give her up to the Holy Office.
(c) He must allow the Bishop to bless her.
(d) He must discipline his daughter.
13. What animal stays behind while the others run off on the estate of Ygnacio's father?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A mastiff.
(c) A pig.
(d) A horse.
14. From what continent do Sierva's language skills come from?
(b) North America.
15. How does Bernarda bring back the Marquis's wealth?
(a) Trading and fraud.
(c) Smart business tactics.
(d) Selling slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strange about Dulce Olivia?
2. Who reminds Don Ygnacio about the animal biting Sierva?
3. What do the fireworks remind Bernarda and Ygnacio about?
4. Why do Bernarda and Ygnacio marry?
5. What have the drugs done to Bernarda Cabrera?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)