|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ygnacio's father forbid?
(a) He forbids going to church.
(b) He forbids Ygnacio from dancing and singing.
(c) He forbids Ygnacio to marry Dulce Olivia.
(d) He forbids Olivia from eating.
2. How much is the beautiful slave bought for?
(a) Her weight in iron.
(b) Her weight in gold.
(c) Her weight in silver.
(d) Her weight in copper.
3. How does Ygnacio's wife die?
(a) She drowns.
(b) She is thrown from a horse.
(c) She is struck by lightning.
(d) She commits suicide.
4. Where does Sierva spend all her time?
(a) The sugarcane fields.
(b) The church.
(c) Slave quarters.
(d) The market.
5. Why is the animal that bit Sierva in the marketplace killed?
(a) It has rabies.
(b) It killed a cat.
(c) It was nearly dead from starvation.
(d) It has no owner.
6. At the end of chapter two, what does the narrator state will happen to Sierva?
(a) Sierva will die attempting to run away.
(b) Sierva will run away from New Grenada.
(c) Sierva will spend five years in the convent.
(d) Sierva will never leave the convent alive.
7. How did Judas and Bernarda meet?
(a) He buys her a drink.
(b) She accidentally runs her horse into his.
(c) She buys him.
(d) He is sent to entrap her in marriage.
8. How does Bernarda spend her time after Judas's death?
(b) Indulging in sex and drugs.
(d) Racing horses.
9. In what state is the family's mansion?
10. What terrified Ygnacio on his father's estate?
(a) The storms.
(b) The farm animals.
(c) The stories of ghosts.
(d) The isolation.
11. What was the occupation of the Marquis's father?
(a) Slave trader.
12. Why is the convent not allowed to cut Sierva's hair?
(a) It is a tribute to God until she is married.
(b) Only nuns may cut their hair.
(c) She screams until they promise to stop.
(d) It is a sign of disrespect to cut her hair.
13. After the death of his wife, why does Ygnacio keep his dogs near?
(a) They comfort him, as his wife loved the dogs.
(b) He believes they are the only things that love him.
(c) He is afraid to be alone.
(d) He is afraid of the slaves.
14. What does the bishop say the Marquis must do to save Sierva?
(a) He must allow the Bishop to bless her.
(b) He must give her up to the Holy Office.
(c) He must send Sierva to Italy.
(d) He must discipline his daughter.
15. What is unique about the skull?
(a) The teeth are all golden.
(b) Copper colored hair is growing from it.
(c) There is no damage to it.
(d) There are tribal designs carved into the bone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Marquis learn to read and write?
2. How long ago did the twelve-year-old girl of the legend die?
3. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
4. What have the drugs done to Bernarda Cabrera?
5. Because of the doctor's visits, what is beginning to change in Sierva and Ygnacio's relationship?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)