|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the convent not allowed to cut Sierva's hair?
(a) It is a tribute to God until she is married.
(b) She screams until they promise to stop.
(c) It is a sign of disrespect to cut her hair.
(d) Only nuns may cut their hair.
2. Who is Judas Iscariote?
(a) Bernarda's former lover.
(b) Bernarda's brother.
(c) The slave that raises Sierva.
(d) Dr. Abrenuncio's patient.
3. How old is Sierva?
4. Because of the doctor's visits, what is beginning to change in Sierva and Ygnacio's relationship?
(a) They begin to read together.
(b) Sierva resents her father more.
(c) Ygnacio stops communicating with his daughter.
(d) She is beginning to communicate with her father.
5. What action takes place that has the Bishop stepping in to check on Sierva?
(a) Sagunta, in an attempt to cure Sierva, ends up rolling around naked with the girl while covered in grease.
(b) Sagunta tries to replace all of Sierva's "tainted" blood.
(c) Sierva attempts suicide.
(d) Sierva tries to run away and goes to the church for help.
6. Why are the slaves waiting in the harbor?
(b) They are being sold.
(c) They are hiding.
(d) They are to be freed.
7. What do the fireworks remind Bernarda and Ygnacio about?
(b) Their wedding day.
(c) Sierva's birthday.
(d) The death of Ygnacio's first wife.
8. Why is the animal that bit Sierva in the marketplace killed?
(a) It was nearly dead from starvation.
(b) It killed a cat.
(c) It has rabies.
(d) It has no owner.
9. What does Don Ygnacio do for Sierva that she resents him for in chapter one?
(a) He buys her a new dress.
(b) He sends her to church.
(c) He takes her out of the slave quarters.
(d) He gives her to Sagunta for a blessing.
10. Who reminds Don Ygnacio about the animal biting Sierva?
(c) The Abbess.
11. What does Bernarda believe was the beginning of her downfall?
(a) Giving birth to Sierva.
(b) Her affair with Judas.
(c) Her marriage to the Marquis.
(d) Her arrival in New Grenada.
12. What bites Sierva in the marketplace?
(a) A person.
(b) A dog.
(c) A cat.
(d) A monkey.
13. Who is the narrator of this novel?
(a) The author.
(d) The Bishop.
14. Whom does Don Ygnacio meet on his way back from visiting a man with rabies?
(a) Dr. Abrenuncio.
(b) Father Cayetano.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) The Abbess.
15. What is strange about Dulce Olivia?
(a) She is mad and lives in the mental asylum next door.
(b) She is a noblewoman from Europe.
(c) She grew up in Africa.
(d) She was framed for murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ygnacio's father forbid?
2. How long ago did the twelve-year-old girl of the legend die?
3. Who is raising Sierva?
4. How did Judas and Bernarda meet?
5. What does Ygnacio refuse to do with his wife?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)