|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what continent do Sierva's language skills come from?
(a) North America.
2. How did the Marquis's father view him when he was younger?
(a) Mentally retarded.
(c) Smart, but unfocused.
(d) Too much of a wanderer to settle down.
3. What bites Sierva in the marketplace?
(a) A person.
(b) A dog.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A cat.
4. What African name does Sierva take on for herself?
(a) Mandinga du Martia.
(b) Maria Dominga.
(c) Maria Mandinga.
(d) Mary de la Santos.
5. To whom does the skull found in the crypts belong?
(a) A young nun.
(b) A 36-year-old man.
(c) A 12-year-old girl.
(d) An old man.
6. How does Bernarda know Ygnacio before they got married?
(a) Her father was the overseer to Ygnacio's family.
(b) Ygnacio was her client.
(c) She made dresses for his first wife.
(d) She held his business accounts.
7. At the end of chapter two, what does the narrator state will happen to Sierva?
(a) Sierva will run away from New Grenada.
(b) Sierva will spend five years in the convent.
(c) Sierva will die attempting to run away.
(d) Sierva will never leave the convent alive.
8. What does the Bishop tell the Marquis about his daughter?
(a) She is possessed by demons.
(b) She is not mad, but undisciplined.
(c) She is going to die.
(d) She must be baptized.
9. How does Ygnacio's wife die?
(a) She commits suicide.
(b) She is struck by lightning.
(c) She is thrown from a horse.
(d) She drowns.
10. Who blesses the marriage of Bernarda and Ygnacio?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) The Abbess.
11. What are Bernarda Cabrera's two drugs of choice?
(a) Cocaine and rum.
(b) Fermented honey and raw cacao.
(c) Fermented grapes and marijuana.
(d) Opiates and fermented barley.
12. What is Don Ygnacio's title?
13. In what state is the family's mansion?
14. Why does Sierva lie to the doctor?
(a) She does not want the doctor to know that she lied about the bite.
(b) She picked it up from the slaves when they use it as a survival tactic.
(c) She does not trust the doctor not to send her away.
(d) She does not want the doctor to know she was bitten badly.
15. Who tells Ygnacio that Sierva is going mad?
(b) Dr. Abernuncio.
(d) Caridad del Cobre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date does Dr. Abrenuncio give for Bernarda's death?
2. Because of the doctor's visits, what is beginning to change in Sierva and Ygnacio's relationship?
3. How did the twelve-year-old girl from the legend die?
4. What does Ygnacio refuse to do with his wife?
5. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)