|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bernarda Cabrera's position before she and Ygnacio married?
2. Whom does Ygnacio marry when he returns to his father's house?
(b) Dulce Olivia.
(d) Dona Olalla de Mendoza.
3. How did the twelve-year-old girl from the legend die?
4. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
(a) He needs to take her to the Bishop for help.
(b) Leave her alone.
(c) Send her away from New Grenada.
(d) He needs to be nice and treat her well.
5. Why is the convent not allowed to cut Sierva's hair?
(a) It is a tribute to God until she is married.
(b) Only nuns may cut their hair.
(c) She screams until they promise to stop.
(d) It is a sign of disrespect to cut her hair.
6. Who blesses the marriage of Bernarda and Ygnacio?
(a) The Abbess.
(c) The Bishop.
7. At the end of chapter two, what does the narrator state will happen to Sierva?
(a) Sierva will die attempting to run away.
(b) Sierva will spend five years in the convent.
(c) Sierva will never leave the convent alive.
(d) Sierva will run away from New Grenada.
8. How long ago did the twelve-year-old girl of the legend die?
(a) 200 years ago.
(b) 300 years ago.
(c) 500 years ago.
(d) 400 years ago.
9. What action takes place that has the Bishop stepping in to check on Sierva?
(a) Sagunta, in an attempt to cure Sierva, ends up rolling around naked with the girl while covered in grease.
(b) Sierva attempts suicide.
(c) Sierva tries to run away and goes to the church for help.
(d) Sagunta tries to replace all of Sierva's "tainted" blood.
10. Why does the doctor doubt that Sierva has rabies?
(a) The dog did not have rabies.
(b) The bite was superficial.
(c) People of her racial background tend to be immune to rabies.
(d) She was bitten by another animal, not the rabid dog.
11. How does Bernarda bring back the Marquis's wealth?
(a) Trading and fraud.
(c) Selling slaves.
(d) Smart business tactics.
12. What is the station of the person raising Sierva?
13. Who is raising Sierva?
(a) The Bishop.
(c) Dominga de Adviento.
14. How does Bernarda spend her time after Judas's death?
(a) Racing horses.
(b) Indulging in sex and drugs.
15. What does the Bishop tell the Marquis about his daughter?
(a) She is going to die.
(b) She is not mad, but undisciplined.
(c) She must be baptized.
(d) She is possessed by demons.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what modern country is the next scene set?
2. How does Ygnacio's wife die?
3. Why is she going to the market?
4. What does Don Ygnacio do for Sierva that she resents him for in chapter one?
5. What was the occupation of the Marquis's father?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)