|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Bernarda Cabrera's two drugs of choice?
(a) Cocaine and rum.
(b) Opiates and fermented barley.
(c) Fermented grapes and marijuana.
(d) Fermented honey and raw cacao.
2. Whom does Don Ygnacio meet on his way back from visiting a man with rabies?
(a) Dr. Abrenuncio.
(b) The Abbess.
(c) Father Cayetano.
(d) The Bishop.
3. Who reminds Don Ygnacio about the animal biting Sierva?
(b) The Abbess.
4. What is Don Ygnacio's title?
5. How did the twelve-year-old girl from the legend die?
6. What is happening to the crypts at Santa Clara at the beginning of the novel?
(a) They have been flooded.
(b) They have been destroyed by an earthquake.
(c) They have been turned into a tourist attraction.
(d) They are being emptied.
7. What does Ygnacio refuse to do with his wife?
(a) Sleep with her.
(b) Dance with her.
(c) Read to her.
(d) Kiss her on the lips.
8. Where does Bernarda go after Judas's death?
(a) The Marquis's summer cottage in Colombia.
(c) The Mahates sugar plantation.
9. What does the bishop say the Marquis must do to save Sierva?
(a) He must send Sierva to Italy.
(b) He must discipline his daughter.
(c) He must give her up to the Holy Office.
(d) He must allow the Bishop to bless her.
10. From what continent do Sierva's language skills come from?
(b) North America.
11. How does Bernarda feel about Sierva?
(a) She loves her more than anything.
(b) She feels that Sierva has great potential and is too good for New Grenada.
(c) She hates her.
(d) She does not mind her daughter but does not understand her.
12. What do the fireworks remind Bernarda and Ygnacio about?
(a) Their wedding day.
(b) Sierva's birthday.
(d) The death of Ygnacio's first wife.
13. What is strange about Dulce Olivia?
(a) She is mad and lives in the mental asylum next door.
(b) She is a noblewoman from Europe.
(c) She was framed for murder.
(d) She grew up in Africa.
14. What action takes place that has the Bishop stepping in to check on Sierva?
(a) Sagunta tries to replace all of Sierva's "tainted" blood.
(b) Sierva attempts suicide.
(c) Sagunta, in an attempt to cure Sierva, ends up rolling around naked with the girl while covered in grease.
(d) Sierva tries to run away and goes to the church for help.
15. How much is the beautiful slave bought for?
(a) Her weight in copper.
(b) Her weight in iron.
(c) Her weight in silver.
(d) Her weight in gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What African name does Sierva take on for herself?
2. How does Bernarda spend her time after Judas's death?
3. How does Judas die?
4. Who is raising Sierva?
5. What does Ygnacio's father forbid?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)