|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Don Ygnacio's title?
2. How does Bernarda feel about Sierva?
(a) She feels that Sierva has great potential and is too good for New Grenada.
(b) She loves her more than anything.
(c) She does not mind her daughter but does not understand her.
(d) She hates her.
3. What does the doctor advise Don Ygnacio to do with his daughter?
(a) Send her away from New Grenada.
(b) He needs to take her to the Bishop for help.
(c) He needs to be nice and treat her well.
(d) Leave her alone.
4. Why is the animal that bit Sierva in the marketplace killed?
(a) It was nearly dead from starvation.
(b) It killed a cat.
(c) It has no owner.
(d) It has rabies.
5. Who supervises Sierva at the end of chapter one?
(a) Caridad del Cobre.
6. Why do Bernarda and Ygnacio marry?
(a) Ygnacio will lose his inheritance if he does not marry.
(b) Bernarda purposefully becomes pregnant.
(c) Bernarda admits she loves him.
(d) They do not want to grow old alone.
7. What African name does Sierva take on for herself?
(a) Maria Mandinga.
(b) Mary de la Santos.
(c) Maria Dominga.
(d) Mandinga du Martia.
8. What does Ygnacio's father forbid?
(a) He forbids going to church.
(b) He forbids Ygnacio to marry Dulce Olivia.
(c) He forbids Olivia from eating.
(d) He forbids Ygnacio from dancing and singing.
9. Who tells Ygnacio that Sierva is going mad?
(a) Dr. Abernuncio.
(b) Caridad del Cobre.
10. How did the twelve-year-old girl from the legend die?
11. What does the Marquis do for Sierva, despite what Dr. Abrenuncio tells him?
(a) He takes her to the Bishop.
(b) He forces her to take communion.
(c) He ignores her symptoms.
(d) He takes her to several quacks to try to cure her.
12. Because of the doctor's visits, what is beginning to change in Sierva and Ygnacio's relationship?
(a) They begin to read together.
(b) She is beginning to communicate with her father.
(c) Ygnacio stops communicating with his daughter.
(d) Sierva resents her father more.
13. Who is raising Sierva?
(a) Dominga de Adviento.
(c) The Bishop.
14. What terrified Ygnacio on his father's estate?
(a) The storms.
(b) The farm animals.
(c) The stories of ghosts.
(d) The isolation.
15. Why does the doctor doubt that Sierva has rabies?
(a) People of her racial background tend to be immune to rabies.
(b) The bite was superficial.
(c) She was bitten by another animal, not the rabid dog.
(d) The dog did not have rabies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is the family's mansion?
2. Why is she going to the market?
3. What was Bernarda Cabrera's position before she and Ygnacio married?
4. What is unique about the skull?
5. What are Bernarda Cabrera's two drugs of choice?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)