|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Sierva?
2. What is the Bishop afflicted with?
(d) Kidney problems.
3. Who blesses the marriage of Bernarda and Ygnacio?
(a) The Abbess.
(b) The Bishop.
4. How much is the beautiful slave bought for?
(a) Her weight in silver.
(b) Her weight in iron.
(c) Her weight in gold.
(d) Her weight in copper.
5. How does Bernarda know Ygnacio before they got married?
(a) Her father was the overseer to Ygnacio's family.
(b) She made dresses for his first wife.
(c) She held his business accounts.
(d) Ygnacio was her client.
6. What instrument does Ygnacio play for Sierva?
(a) The violin.
(b) The mandolin.
(c) The theorbo.
(d) The pan flute.
7. What is strange about Dulce Olivia?
(a) She grew up in Africa.
(b) She is a noblewoman from Europe.
(c) She was framed for murder.
(d) She is mad and lives in the mental asylum next door.
8. What action takes place that has the Bishop stepping in to check on Sierva?
(a) Sagunta tries to replace all of Sierva's "tainted" blood.
(b) Sagunta, in an attempt to cure Sierva, ends up rolling around naked with the girl while covered in grease.
(c) Sierva attempts suicide.
(d) Sierva tries to run away and goes to the church for help.
9. Where does Bernarda go after Judas's death?
(b) The Marquis's summer cottage in Colombia.
(d) The Mahates sugar plantation.
10. What is the station of the person raising Sierva?
11. What does Ygnacio's father forbid?
(a) He forbids going to church.
(b) He forbids Olivia from eating.
(c) He forbids Ygnacio from dancing and singing.
(d) He forbids Ygnacio to marry Dulce Olivia.
12. What is happening to the crypts at Santa Clara at the beginning of the novel?
(a) They have been flooded.
(b) They are being emptied.
(c) They have been destroyed by an earthquake.
(d) They have been turned into a tourist attraction.
13. In what modern country is the next scene set?
14. To whom does the skull found in the crypts belong?
(a) A 12-year-old girl.
(b) A 36-year-old man.
(c) A young nun.
(d) An old man.
15. Who supervises Sierva at the end of chapter one?
(d) Caridad del Cobre.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did the twelve-year-old girl of the legend die?
2. What do the fireworks remind Bernarda and Ygnacio about?
3. How did the Marquis's father view him when he was younger?
4. What bites Sierva in the marketplace?
5. Why are the slaves waiting in the harbor?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)