|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the occupation of the Marquis's father?
(a) Slave trader.
2. Who is the narrator of this novel?
(b) The author.
(c) The Bishop.
3. Whom does Ygnacio marry when he returns to his father's house?
(c) Dona Olalla de Mendoza.
(d) Dulce Olivia.
4. How does Bernarda feel about Sierva?
(a) She does not mind her daughter but does not understand her.
(b) She hates her.
(c) She loves her more than anything.
(d) She feels that Sierva has great potential and is too good for New Grenada.
5. What instrument does Ygnacio play for Sierva?
(a) The mandolin.
(b) The violin.
(c) The theorbo.
(d) The pan flute.
6. What do the fireworks remind Bernarda and Ygnacio about?
(a) Their wedding day.
(b) Sierva's birthday.
(c) The death of Ygnacio's first wife.
7. How does Bernarda bring back the Marquis's wealth?
(a) Selling slaves.
(b) Smart business tactics.
(c) Trading and fraud.
8. Where does Sierva spend all her time?
(a) The church.
(b) The sugarcane fields.
(c) The market.
(d) Slave quarters.
9. What is Don Ygnacio's title?
10. What have the drugs done to Bernarda Cabrera?
(a) She has cancer.
(b) She is sick and bloated.
(c) She has rabies.
(d) She has lost most of her body fat and looks sickly.
11. What does the bishop say the Marquis must do to save Sierva?
(a) He must discipline his daughter.
(b) He must give her up to the Holy Office.
(c) He must send Sierva to Italy.
(d) He must allow the Bishop to bless her.
12. How did the Marquis's father view him when he was younger?
(b) Mentally retarded.
(c) Too much of a wanderer to settle down.
(d) Smart, but unfocused.
13. Why does Sierva lie to the doctor?
(a) She does not trust the doctor not to send her away.
(b) She does not want the doctor to know that she lied about the bite.
(c) She does not want the doctor to know she was bitten badly.
(d) She picked it up from the slaves when they use it as a survival tactic.
14. At the end of chapter two, what does the narrator state will happen to Sierva?
(a) Sierva will die attempting to run away.
(b) Sierva will spend five years in the convent.
(c) Sierva will run away from New Grenada.
(d) Sierva will never leave the convent alive.
15. From what continent do Sierva's language skills come from?
(c) North America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about the skull?
2. In what modern country is the next scene set?
3. Who is raising Sierva?
4. Who is Judas Iscariote?
5. What does Don Ygnacio do for Sierva that she resents him for in chapter one?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)