|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
2. What did Haileab regularly have his children get up and do in the mornings?
3. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
4. Haileab decided to help the neighbors by cleaning up their leaves and getting garbage out of __________________.
5. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
2. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
3. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
5. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
6. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
7. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
8. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
9. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
10. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Mawi's experiences with bullies while staying at the refugee camp in Sudan. How did Mawi and his brother protect themselves? How was this childhood violence perceived by the adults? What did Mawi learn from his experiences fighting off bullies at the refugee camp?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history, geography and cultures of Eritrea and Ethiopia. When did civil war break out between these nations? What were conditions of the war like? When did the political upheavals during the 1980s and 1990s originate? What led to the civil war?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mawi's father's sense of morality and the morality he instilled in his sons. Was the story told by Mawi's father about the boy stealing realistic for the time and place in which it occurred? What punishment did the boys face for their actions after stealing the parking meter? Why did they fear their father more than the police officer?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)