|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
2. What refers to an athletic conference comprising eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States?
3. For how long was Mawi separated from his father while in Africa during his childhood?
4. On what date was Mawi Asgedom born?
5. What is the name of the individual who believed in Mawi and appreciated his dedication to track?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
2. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
3. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
4. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
5. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
6. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
7. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
8. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
9. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
10. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sacrifice in the narrative, and examine the reasons for Haileab's sacrifice in leaving his homeland. What dangers did his family face in staying where they were? Why did Haileab leave behind his wealth and everything he owned? How many others faced the same perils in order to escape?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings of Chicago and Wheaton, Illinois. How do the settings of Chicago and Wheaton differ? What were the author's first impressions of each? In what year did Mawi's family arrive? How much English did the members of the family speak?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history, geography and cultures of Eritrea and Ethiopia. When did civil war break out between these nations? What were conditions of the war like? When did the political upheavals during the 1980s and 1990s originate? What led to the civil war?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)