|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
2. In what year was Haileab born?
3. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
4. What job did Mawi and Tewolde do first in order to make money in "Libee Migbar"?
5. Mawi was a high honor roll student until he hit what level of school in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
2. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
3. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
4. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
5. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
6. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
7. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
8. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
9. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
10. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between American and East African culture and holidays and Mawi's first impressions of Halloween. What Sudanese holiday does the author describe in "Days of Mischief"? What about Halloween attracted him and his siblings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)