|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
2. Mawi's brother was killed during what holiday break?
3. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
4. What job did Mawi and Tewolde do first in order to make money in "Libee Migbar"?
5. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
2. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
3. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
4. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
5. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
6. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
7. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
8. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
9. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
10. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mawi's mischief with his brother in "Days of Mischief." Do these stories make the protagonist less likeable? Why or why not? How do you relate to Mawi's adventures with his brother during his youth? In what ways did Tewolde influence his brother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history, geography and cultures of Eritrea and Ethiopia. When did civil war break out between these nations? What were conditions of the war like? When did the political upheavals during the 1980s and 1990s originate? What led to the civil war?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)