|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Haileab left his family, he did so because he knew that if they traveled with him, they would be ____________.
2. Haileab decided to help the neighbors by cleaning up their leaves and getting garbage out of __________________.
3. What is identified in the Bible as the place of refuge that the Holy Family sought in its flight from Judea?
4. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
5. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mawi's mischief with his brother in "Days of Mischief." Do these stories make the protagonist less likeable? Why or why not? How do you relate to Mawi's adventures with his brother during his youth? In what ways did Tewolde influence his brother?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)