|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
2. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
3. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
4. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
5. Where did Mawi and his brother take a parking meter after knocking it down?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
2. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
3. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
4. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
5. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
6. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
7. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
8. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
9. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
10. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss the theme of generosity in the narrative. How did Haileab demonstrate generosity toward others? How did his actions influence those of his children? How does Tewolde symbolize generosity in the book? What influence did he have on the author?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)