|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
2. Why did Haileab's family have to relocate in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
3. Haileab earned further education and became what as opposed to a full-fledged doctor?
4. Where did Mawi and Tewolde take their second job?
5. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
2. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
3. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
5. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
6. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
7. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
8. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
9. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
10. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sacrifice in the narrative, and examine the reasons for Haileab's sacrifice in leaving his homeland. What dangers did his family face in staying where they were? Why did Haileab leave behind his wealth and everything he owned? How many others faced the same perils in order to escape?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze foreshadowing in "A New Life," and discuss the impressions of American culture gained by Mawi's family through television and tours. What did Mawi's father think of the television? Why? How did television shape the way Mawi's parents instructed their children to act in public?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)