|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
2. How old was Tewolde when the author describes him undergoing a personal transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
3. What is the name of the individual who believed in Mawi and appreciated his dedication to track?
4. Haileab earned further education and became what as opposed to a full-fledged doctor?
5. What refers to an athletic conference comprising eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)