|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
2. What did Tewolde help the man whom he had taken the weight bench from find?
3. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
4. Haileab earned further education and became what as opposed to a full-fledged doctor?
5. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
3. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
4. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
5. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
6. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
7. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
8. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
9. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
10. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mawi's mischief with his brother in "Days of Mischief." Do these stories make the protagonist less likeable? Why or why not? How do you relate to Mawi's adventures with his brother during his youth? In what ways did Tewolde influence his brother?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss the theme of generosity in the narrative. How did Haileab demonstrate generosity toward others? How did his actions influence those of his children? How does Tewolde symbolize generosity in the book? What influence did he have on the author?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)