|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi was a high honor roll student until he hit what level of school in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
2. Why did Haileab's family have to relocate in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
3. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
4. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
5. Where did Haileab work as a janitor in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlations between American and East African culture and holidays and Mawi's first impressions of Halloween. What Sudanese holiday does the author describe in "Days of Mischief"? What about Halloween attracted him and his siblings?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)