|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
2. What year was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
3. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
4. What job did Mawi and Tewolde do first in order to make money in "Libee Migbar"?
5. The man that Tewolde took the weight bench to in "Libee Migbar" was the same man from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
3. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
4. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
5. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
6. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
7. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
8. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
9. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
10. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the English meaning of "Libee Migbar" and the actions of Tewolde in the chapter by the same name. How does the author describe Tewolde's transformation? How is this illustrated through Tewolde's actions? What caused Tewolde to change in "Libee Migbar"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)