Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
2. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
3. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
4. Where did Mawi's father work while they were refugees awaiting immigration to America?
5. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between American and East African culture and holidays and Mawi's first impressions of Halloween. What Sudanese holiday does the author describe in "Days of Mischief"? What about Halloween attracted him and his siblings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the English meaning of "Libee Migbar" and the actions of Tewolde in the chapter by the same name. How does the author describe Tewolde's transformation? How is this illustrated through Tewolde's actions? What caused Tewolde to change in "Libee Migbar"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings of Chicago and Wheaton, Illinois. How do the settings of Chicago and Wheaton differ? What were the author's first impressions of each? In what year did Mawi's family arrive? How much English did the members of the family speak?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)