|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What forced Haileab into unemployment in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
3. When Haileab left his family, he did so because he knew that if they traveled with him, they would be ____________.
4. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
5. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
2. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
3. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
5. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
6. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
7. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
8. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
9. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
10. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history, geography and cultures of Eritrea and Ethiopia. When did civil war break out between these nations? What were conditions of the war like? When did the political upheavals during the 1980s and 1990s originate? What led to the civil war?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)