|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Haileab decided to help the neighbors by cleaning up their leaves and getting garbage out of __________________.
2. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
3. What did Mawi realize his father had been at the end of "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
5. Mawi's brother was killed during what holiday break?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
2. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
3. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
4. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
5. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
6. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
7. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
8. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
9. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
10. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)