Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
2. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
3. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
4. Where did Mawi's father work while they were refugees awaiting immigration to America?
5. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sacrifice in the narrative, and examine the reasons for Haileab's sacrifice in leaving his homeland. What dangers did his family face in staying where they were? Why did Haileab leave behind his wealth and everything he owned? How many others faced the same perils in order to escape?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlations between American and East African culture and holidays and Mawi's first impressions of Halloween. What Sudanese holiday does the author describe in "Days of Mischief"? What about Halloween attracted him and his siblings?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)