|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
2. Haileab earned further education and became what as opposed to a full-fledged doctor?
3. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
4. Where did Mawi's father work while they were refugees awaiting immigration to America?
5. Mawi's brother was killed during what holiday break?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
2. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
3. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
6. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
7. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
8. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
9. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
10. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mawi's father's sense of morality and the morality he instilled in his sons. Was the story told by Mawi's father about the boy stealing realistic for the time and place in which it occurred? What punishment did the boys face for their actions after stealing the parking meter? Why did they fear their father more than the police officer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)