|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
2. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
3. Mawi was a high honor roll student until he hit what level of school in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
4. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
5. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
2. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
3. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
4. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
5. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
6. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
7. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
8. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
9. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
10. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss the theme of generosity in the narrative. How did Haileab demonstrate generosity toward others? How did his actions influence those of his children? How does Tewolde symbolize generosity in the book? What influence did he have on the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mawi's father's sense of morality and the morality he instilled in his sons. Was the story told by Mawi's father about the boy stealing realistic for the time and place in which it occurred? What punishment did the boys face for their actions after stealing the parking meter? Why did they fear their father more than the police officer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)