|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
2. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
3. Mawi's brother was killed during what holiday break?
4. On what date was Mawi Asgedom born?
5. Where did Mawi and his brother take a parking meter after knocking it down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
2. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
3. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
4. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
5. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
6. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
7. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
8. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
9. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
10. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the English meaning of "Libee Migbar" and the actions of Tewolde in the chapter by the same name. How does the author describe Tewolde's transformation? How is this illustrated through Tewolde's actions? What caused Tewolde to change in "Libee Migbar"?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)