|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quickly became the favorite American holiday of Mawi and his siblings in "Days of Mischief"?
2. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
3. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
5. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
2. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
3. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
4. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
5. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
6. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
7. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
8. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
9. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
10. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)