|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
2. Mawi's father was so helpful that the rebels wanted him to do what for them, as described in "Coffee Tales"?
3. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
4. What is the official name for the largest Christian church in Egypt and the Middle East?
5. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
2. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
3. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
5. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
6. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
7. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
8. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
9. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
10. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between American and East African culture and holidays and Mawi's first impressions of Halloween. What Sudanese holiday does the author describe in "Days of Mischief"? What about Halloween attracted him and his siblings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Haileab's transformation in the U.S. Why was Haileab no longer qualified to work in medicine? What led to his unemployment? What health problems did Haileab develop? Also discuss the symbolism of beetles in the narrative. How does the beetle symbolize Haileab in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)