|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
2. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
3. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
4. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
5. Where did Mawi and his brother take a parking meter after knocking it down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
2. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
3. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
4. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
5. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
6. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
7. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
8. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
9. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
10. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of Chicago and Wheaton, Illinois. How do the settings of Chicago and Wheaton differ? What were the author's first impressions of each? In what year did Mawi's family arrive? How much English did the members of the family speak?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the English meaning of "Libee Migbar" and the actions of Tewolde in the chapter by the same name. How does the author describe Tewolde's transformation? How is this illustrated through Tewolde's actions? What caused Tewolde to change in "Libee Migbar"?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)