|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. Haileab was unable to pass the test to get _______________.
3. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
4. Who offered Mawi a full-tuition scholarship?
5. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
2. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
3. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
4. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
5. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
6. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
7. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
8. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
9. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
10. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mawi's father's sense of morality and the morality he instilled in his sons. Was the story told by Mawi's father about the boy stealing realistic for the time and place in which it occurred? What punishment did the boys face for their actions after stealing the parking meter? Why did they fear their father more than the police officer?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)