|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
2. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
3. What did Tewolde help the man whom he had taken the weight bench from find?
4. What did the track coach purchase for Mawi during the four years he was on the track team?
5. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
3. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
4. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
5. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
6. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
7. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
8. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
9. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
10. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sacrifice in the narrative, and examine the reasons for Haileab's sacrifice in leaving his homeland. What dangers did his family face in staying where they were? Why did Haileab leave behind his wealth and everything he owned? How many others faced the same perils in order to escape?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)