|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
2. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
3. What quickly became the favorite American holiday of Mawi and his siblings in "Days of Mischief"?
4. Where did Mawi and Tewolde take their second job?
5. Tewolde had a knack for what, according to the author in "Libee Migbar"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
2. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
3. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
4. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
5. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
6. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
7. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
8. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
9. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
10. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of sacrifice in the narrative, and examine the reasons for Haileab's sacrifice in leaving his homeland. What dangers did his family face in staying where they were? Why did Haileab leave behind his wealth and everything he owned? How many others faced the same perils in order to escape?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)