|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
2. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
3. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
4. Where did Haileab work as a janitor in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What profession did Haileab have in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
2. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
3. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
4. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
5. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
6. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
7. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
8. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
9. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
10. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss the theme of generosity in the narrative. How did Haileab demonstrate generosity toward others? How did his actions influence those of his children? How does Tewolde symbolize generosity in the book? What influence did he have on the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of sacrifice in the narrative, and examine the reasons for Haileab's sacrifice in leaving his homeland. What dangers did his family face in staying where they were? Why did Haileab leave behind his wealth and everything he owned? How many others faced the same perils in order to escape?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)