|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
2. Where did Mawi and his brother take a parking meter after knocking it down?
3. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
4. What is identified in the Bible as the place of refuge that the Holy Family sought in its flight from Judea?
5. On what date was Mawi Asgedom born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
2. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
3. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
5. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
6. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
7. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
8. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
9. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
10. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze foreshadowing in "A New Life," and discuss the impressions of American culture gained by Mawi's family through television and tours. What did Mawi's father think of the television? Why? How did television shape the way Mawi's parents instructed their children to act in public?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)