|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi and his brother almost died from __________________ when they were sent away from their mother.
2. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
3. For how long was Mawi separated from his father while in Africa during his childhood?
4. How old was Tewolde when the author describes him undergoing a personal transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
5. Haileab decided to help the neighbors by cleaning up their leaves and getting garbage out of __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
2. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
3. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
4. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
6. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
7. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
8. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
9. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
10. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the English meaning of "Libee Migbar" and the actions of Tewolde in the chapter by the same name. How does the author describe Tewolde's transformation? How is this illustrated through Tewolde's actions? What caused Tewolde to change in "Libee Migbar"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)