Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
2. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
3. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
4. Where did Mawi's father work while they were refugees awaiting immigration to America?
5. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
Identify and discuss the theme of generosity in the narrative. How did Haileab demonstrate generosity toward others? How did his actions influence those of his children? How does Tewolde symbolize generosity in the book? What influence did he have on the author?
Describe the settings of Adi Wahla, Ethiopia, and Sudan. Where did Mawi's family first encounter refugees in Sudan? What were the conditions like there? Also discuss the journey of Mawi's family across the desert to arrive in Sudan. What dangers did the family face?
Discuss Mawi's father's sense of morality and the morality he instilled in his sons. Was the story told by Mawi's father about the boy stealing realistic for the time and place in which it occurred? What punishment did the boys face for their actions after stealing the parking meter? Why did they fear their father more than the police officer?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)