|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date was Mawi Asgedom born?
2. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
3. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
4. Haileab decided to help the neighbors by cleaning up their leaves and getting garbage out of __________________.
5. Tewolde wanted to clean windows at what building?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
3. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
4. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
5. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
6. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
7. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
8. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
9. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
10. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the World Relief Organization and testing conducted on families seeking refuge in the U.S. How did World Relief assist families in relocating? Where were the families sent? With what other organizations was World Relief associated? How did they help Mawi's family?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)