|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
2. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
3. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
4. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
5. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
2. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
3. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
4. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
5. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
6. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
7. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
8. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
9. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
10. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history, geography and cultures of Eritrea and Ethiopia. When did civil war break out between these nations? What were conditions of the war like? When did the political upheavals during the 1980s and 1990s originate? What led to the civil war?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)