|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
2. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
3. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
4. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
5. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
2. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
3. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
4. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
5. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
6. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
7. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
8. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
9. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
10. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the World Relief Organization and testing conducted on families seeking refuge in the U.S. How did World Relief assist families in relocating? Where were the families sent? With what other organizations was World Relief associated? How did they help Mawi's family?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Haileab's transformation in the U.S. Why was Haileab no longer qualified to work in medicine? What led to his unemployment? What health problems did Haileab develop? Also discuss the symbolism of beetles in the narrative. How does the beetle symbolize Haileab in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)