|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
2. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
3. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
4. What was the name of the author's older brother?
5. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
2. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
3. How did Haileab help his friends win their case against their landlord in "Father Haileab"?
4. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
5. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
6. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
7. How does the author describe his father after his death in "Father Haileab"? How was Haileab killed?
8. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
9. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
10. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history, geography and cultures of Eritrea and Ethiopia. When did civil war break out between these nations? What were conditions of the war like? When did the political upheavals during the 1980s and 1990s originate? What led to the civil war?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze foreshadowing in "A New Life," and discuss the impressions of American culture gained by Mawi's family through television and tours. What did Mawi's father think of the television? Why? How did television shape the way Mawi's parents instructed their children to act in public?
This section contains 1,772 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)