|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the capital of Eritrea?
2. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
3. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
4. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
5. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
2. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
3. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
4. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
5. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
6. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
7. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
8. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
9. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
10. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss the theme of generosity in the narrative. How did Haileab demonstrate generosity toward others? How did his actions influence those of his children? How does Tewolde symbolize generosity in the book? What influence did he have on the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history, geography and cultures of Eritrea and Ethiopia. When did civil war break out between these nations? What were conditions of the war like? When did the political upheavals during the 1980s and 1990s originate? What led to the civil war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the World Relief Organization and testing conducted on families seeking refuge in the U.S. How did World Relief assist families in relocating? Where were the families sent? With what other organizations was World Relief associated? How did they help Mawi's family?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)