|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
2. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
3. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
4. In his native language, the author's true name means ___________________.
5. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
2. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
3. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
4. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
5. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
6. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
7. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
8. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
9. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
10. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of Adi Wahla, Ethiopia, and Sudan. Where did Mawi's family first encounter refugees in Sudan? What were the conditions like there? Also discuss the journey of Mawi's family across the desert to arrive in Sudan. What dangers did the family face?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)