|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
2. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
3. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
4. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
5. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
2. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
3. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
4. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
5. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
6. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
7. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
8. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
9. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
10. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the correlations between American and East African culture and holidays and Mawi's first impressions of Halloween. What Sudanese holiday does the author describe in "Days of Mischief"? What about Halloween attracted him and his siblings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)