|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
2. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
3. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
4. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
5. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
2. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
3. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
4. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
5. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
6. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
7. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
8. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
9. How did Mawi recall his transition to America in the end of the narrative? What obstacles did he overcome?
10. Describe the evolution of Mawi's feelings about his father in the narrative. What did Haileab teach him?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Haileab's transformation in the U.S. Why was Haileab no longer qualified to work in medicine? What led to his unemployment? What health problems did Haileab develop? Also discuss the symbolism of beetles in the narrative. How does the beetle symbolize Haileab in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze foreshadowing in "A New Life," and discuss the impressions of American culture gained by Mawi's family through television and tours. What did Mawi's father think of the television? Why? How did television shape the way Mawi's parents instructed their children to act in public?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
This section contains 1,798 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)