|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals does the author remember shrieking in the beginning of "Memories"?
2. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
3. Mawi recalls how his father was known for his skills at what in "The Camp"?
4. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
5. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
2. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
3. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
4. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
5. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
6. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
7. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
8. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
9. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
10. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings of Chicago and Wheaton, Illinois. How do the settings of Chicago and Wheaton differ? What were the author's first impressions of each? In what year did Mawi's family arrive? How much English did the members of the family speak?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)