|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
2. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
3. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
4. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
5. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
2. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
3. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
4. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
5. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
6. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
7. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
8. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
9. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
10. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the World Relief Organization and testing conducted on families seeking refuge in the U.S. How did World Relief assist families in relocating? Where were the families sent? With what other organizations was World Relief associated? How did they help Mawi's family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of sacrifice in the narrative, and examine the reasons for Haileab's sacrifice in leaving his homeland. What dangers did his family face in staying where they were? Why did Haileab leave behind his wealth and everything he owned? How many others faced the same perils in order to escape?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)