|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
2. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
3. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
4. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
5. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
2. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
3. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
4. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
5. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
6. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
7. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
8. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
9. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
10. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Haileab's transformation in the U.S. Why was Haileab no longer qualified to work in medicine? What led to his unemployment? What health problems did Haileab develop? Also discuss the symbolism of beetles in the narrative. How does the beetle symbolize Haileab in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the English meaning of "Libee Migbar" and the actions of Tewolde in the chapter by the same name. How does the author describe Tewolde's transformation? How is this illustrated through Tewolde's actions? What caused Tewolde to change in "Libee Migbar"?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)