|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
2. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
3. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
4. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
5. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
2. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
3. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
4. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
5. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
6. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
7. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
8. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
9. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
10. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the World Relief Organization and testing conducted on families seeking refuge in the U.S. How did World Relief assist families in relocating? Where were the families sent? With what other organizations was World Relief associated? How did they help Mawi's family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sacrifice in the narrative, and examine the reasons for Haileab's sacrifice in leaving his homeland. What dangers did his family face in staying where they were? Why did Haileab leave behind his wealth and everything he owned? How many others faced the same perils in order to escape?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the English meaning of "Libee Migbar" and the actions of Tewolde in the chapter by the same name. How does the author describe Tewolde's transformation? How is this illustrated through Tewolde's actions? What caused Tewolde to change in "Libee Migbar"?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)