|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
2. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
3. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
4. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
5. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
2. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
3. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
5. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
6. How does the author describe his father after his death in "Father Haileab"? How was Haileab killed?
7. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
8. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
9. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
10. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the World Relief Organization and testing conducted on families seeking refuge in the U.S. How did World Relief assist families in relocating? Where were the families sent? With what other organizations was World Relief associated? How did they help Mawi's family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Haileab's transformation in the U.S. Why was Haileab no longer qualified to work in medicine? What led to his unemployment? What health problems did Haileab develop? Also discuss the symbolism of beetles in the narrative. How does the beetle symbolize Haileab in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze foreshadowing in "A New Life," and discuss the impressions of American culture gained by Mawi's family through television and tours. What did Mawi's father think of the television? Why? How did television shape the way Mawi's parents instructed their children to act in public?
This section contains 1,821 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)