|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
2. What was the name of the author's older brother?
3. What country borders Eritrea to the west?
4. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
5. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
2. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
3. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
4. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
5. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
6. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
7. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
8. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
9. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
10. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sacrifice in the narrative, and examine the reasons for Haileab's sacrifice in leaving his homeland. What dangers did his family face in staying where they were? Why did Haileab leave behind his wealth and everything he owned? How many others faced the same perils in order to escape?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss the theme of generosity in the narrative. How did Haileab demonstrate generosity toward others? How did his actions influence those of his children? How does Tewolde symbolize generosity in the book? What influence did he have on the author?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)