|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
2. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
3. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
4. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
5. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
2. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
3. Describe the evolution of Mawi's feelings about his father in the narrative. What did Haileab teach him?
4. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
5. How did Mawi recall his transition to America in the end of the narrative? What obstacles did he overcome?
6. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
7. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
8. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
9. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
10. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
This section contains 1,827 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)