Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
2. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
3. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
4. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
5. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
2. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
3. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
4. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
5. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
6. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
7. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
8. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
9. How did Mawi recall his transition to America in the end of the narrative? What obstacles did he overcome?
10. Describe the evolution of Mawi's feelings about his father in the narrative. What did Haileab teach him?
Discuss the history, geography and cultures of Eritrea and Ethiopia. When did civil war break out between these nations? What were conditions of the war like? When did the political upheavals during the 1980s and 1990s originate? What led to the civil war?
Describe the World Relief Organization and testing conducted on families seeking refuge in the U.S. How did World Relief assist families in relocating? Where were the families sent? With what other organizations was World Relief associated? How did they help Mawi's family?
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)