|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
2. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
3. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
4. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
5. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
2. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
3. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
4. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
5. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
6. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
7. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
8. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
9. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
10. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss the theme of generosity in the narrative. How did Haileab demonstrate generosity toward others? How did his actions influence those of his children? How does Tewolde symbolize generosity in the book? What influence did he have on the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Haileab's transformation in the U.S. Why was Haileab no longer qualified to work in medicine? What led to his unemployment? What health problems did Haileab develop? Also discuss the symbolism of beetles in the narrative. How does the beetle symbolize Haileab in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)