|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
2. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
3. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
4. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
5. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
2. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
3. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
4. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
5. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
6. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
7. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
8. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
9. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
10. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of Chicago and Wheaton, Illinois. How do the settings of Chicago and Wheaton differ? What were the author's first impressions of each? In what year did Mawi's family arrive? How much English did the members of the family speak?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mawi's father's sense of morality and the morality he instilled in his sons. Was the story told by Mawi's father about the boy stealing realistic for the time and place in which it occurred? What punishment did the boys face for their actions after stealing the parking meter? Why did they fear their father more than the police officer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)