|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development?
2. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
3. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
4. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
5. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
2. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
3. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
4. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
5. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
6. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
7. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
8. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
9. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
10. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the figure of Beth in the narrative. What were Mawi's impressions of Beth? How did she help the family adjust to the culture shock of America? In what way does Beth represent an "angel" thematically in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mawi's mischief with his brother in "Days of Mischief." Do these stories make the protagonist less likeable? Why or why not? How do you relate to Mawi's adventures with his brother during his youth? In what ways did Tewolde influence his brother?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)