|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the author's older brother?
2. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
3. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
4. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
5. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
2. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
3. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
4. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
5. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
6. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
7. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
8. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
9. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
10. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of Chicago and Wheaton, Illinois. How do the settings of Chicago and Wheaton differ? What were the author's first impressions of each? In what year did Mawi's family arrive? How much English did the members of the family speak?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mawi's father's sense of morality and the morality he instilled in his sons. Was the story told by Mawi's father about the boy stealing realistic for the time and place in which it occurred? What punishment did the boys face for their actions after stealing the parking meter? Why did they fear their father more than the police officer?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)