|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
2. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
3. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
4. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
5. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
2. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
3. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
4. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
5. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
6. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
7. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
8. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
9. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
10. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss the theme of generosity in the narrative. How did Haileab demonstrate generosity toward others? How did his actions influence those of his children? How does Tewolde symbolize generosity in the book? What influence did he have on the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of sacrifice in the narrative, and examine the reasons for Haileab's sacrifice in leaving his homeland. What dangers did his family face in staying where they were? Why did Haileab leave behind his wealth and everything he owned? How many others faced the same perils in order to escape?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)