|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
2. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
3. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
4. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
5. What was the name of Mawi's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
2. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
3. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
4. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
5. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
6. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
7. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
8. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
9. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
10. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the impact of Tewolde's death on the narrator. How was Tewolde killed? What foreshadowing refers to this incident early in the narrative? How does Mawi describe the aftermath of the accident? How was Tewolde remembered at his funeral?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze foreshadowing in "A New Life," and discuss the impressions of American culture gained by Mawi's family through television and tours. What did Mawi's father think of the television? Why? How did television shape the way Mawi's parents instructed their children to act in public?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)