|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
2. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
3. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
4. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
5. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
2. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
3. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
4. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
5. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
6. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
7. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
8. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
9. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
10. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between American and East African culture and holidays and Mawi's first impressions of Halloween. What Sudanese holiday does the author describe in "Days of Mischief"? What about Halloween attracted him and his siblings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mawi's mischief with his brother in "Days of Mischief." Do these stories make the protagonist less likeable? Why or why not? How do you relate to Mawi's adventures with his brother during his youth? In what ways did Tewolde influence his brother?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)