|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
2. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
3. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
4. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
5. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his last visit with his father in "Father Haileab"?
2. Describe the evolution of Mawi's feelings about his father in the narrative. What did Haileab teach him?
3. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
4. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
5. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
6. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
7. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
8. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
9. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
10. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of Adi Wahla, Ethiopia, and Sudan. Where did Mawi's family first encounter refugees in Sudan? What were the conditions like there? Also discuss the journey of Mawi's family across the desert to arrive in Sudan. What dangers did the family face?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
This section contains 1,787 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)