|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
2. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
3. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
4. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
5. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
2. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
3. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
4. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
5. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
6. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
7. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
8. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
9. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
10. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mawi's father's sense of morality and the morality he instilled in his sons. Was the story told by Mawi's father about the boy stealing realistic for the time and place in which it occurred? What punishment did the boys face for their actions after stealing the parking meter? Why did they fear their father more than the police officer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)