|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
2. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
3. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
4. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
5. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
2. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
3. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
4. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
5. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
6. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
7. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
8. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
9. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
10. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between American and East African culture and holidays and Mawi's first impressions of Halloween. What Sudanese holiday does the author describe in "Days of Mischief"? What about Halloween attracted him and his siblings?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze foreshadowing in "A New Life," and discuss the impressions of American culture gained by Mawi's family through television and tours. What did Mawi's father think of the television? Why? How did television shape the way Mawi's parents instructed their children to act in public?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss the theme of generosity in the narrative. How did Haileab demonstrate generosity toward others? How did his actions influence those of his children? How does Tewolde symbolize generosity in the book? What influence did he have on the author?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)