|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
2. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
3. What is the capital of Eritrea?
4. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
5. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
2. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
3. How does the author describe his father after his death in "Father Haileab"? How was Haileab killed?
4. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
5. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
6. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
7. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
8. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
9. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
10. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mawi's mischief with his brother in "Days of Mischief." Do these stories make the protagonist less likeable? Why or why not? How do you relate to Mawi's adventures with his brother during his youth? In what ways did Tewolde influence his brother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the correlations between American and East African culture and holidays and Mawi's first impressions of Halloween. What Sudanese holiday does the author describe in "Days of Mischief"? What about Halloween attracted him and his siblings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the World Relief Organization and testing conducted on families seeking refuge in the U.S. How did World Relief assist families in relocating? Where were the families sent? With what other organizations was World Relief associated? How did they help Mawi's family?
This section contains 1,790 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)