|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
2. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
3. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
4. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
5. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
2. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
3. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
4. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
5. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
6. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
7. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
8. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
9. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
10. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze foreshadowing in "A New Life," and discuss the impressions of American culture gained by Mawi's family through television and tours. What did Mawi's father think of the television? Why? How did television shape the way Mawi's parents instructed their children to act in public?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mawi's father's sense of morality and the morality he instilled in his sons. Was the story told by Mawi's father about the boy stealing realistic for the time and place in which it occurred? What punishment did the boys face for their actions after stealing the parking meter? Why did they fear their father more than the police officer?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)