Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
2. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
3. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
4. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
5. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
2. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
3. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
4. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
5. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
6. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
7. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
8. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
9. How did Mawi recall his transition to America in the end of the narrative? What obstacles did he overcome?
10. Describe the evolution of Mawi's feelings about his father in the narrative. What did Haileab teach him?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the correlations between food and culture. How is local cuisine relative to an individual's cultural identity? What did obtaining their native foods mean for Mawi's family? How does the relationship between food and culture differ within different communities and regions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Mawi's experiences with bullies while staying at the refugee camp in Sudan. How did Mawi and his brother protect themselves? How was this childhood violence perceived by the adults? What did Mawi learn from his experiences fighting off bullies at the refugee camp?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)