|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Mawi's father?
2. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
3. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
4. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
5. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
2. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
3. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
4. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
5. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
6. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
7. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
8. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
9. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
10. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of Chicago and Wheaton, Illinois. How do the settings of Chicago and Wheaton differ? What were the author's first impressions of each? In what year did Mawi's family arrive? How much English did the members of the family speak?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the correlations between American and East African culture and holidays and Mawi's first impressions of Halloween. What Sudanese holiday does the author describe in "Days of Mischief"? What about Halloween attracted him and his siblings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the political atmosphere of Sudan in the early 1980s. How many rebel groups were there, and what were their objectives? Also discuss Haileab's vision of America. How correct were Haileab's perceptions of the United States? Who warned him against immigrating?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)