|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the author's older brother?
2. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
3. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
4. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
5. What Christian organization helped Mawi's family in immigrating in "Coming to America"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
2. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
3. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
4. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
5. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
6. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
7. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
8. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
9. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
10. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the English meaning of "Libee Migbar" and the actions of Tewolde in the chapter by the same name. How does the author describe Tewolde's transformation? How is this illustrated through Tewolde's actions? What caused Tewolde to change in "Libee Migbar"?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify metaphor, simile and symbolism in the narrative. What symbolism did Haileab use to describe angels in "God's Angels"? Why did Haileab bring in the stranger to their home and shelter him? What does this symbolize? What did he give them in return and why?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the theme of bullying in the narrative. In what ways were Mawi and his siblings picked on by the other students in America? Why? Where previously had Mawi and his siblings dealt with bullies? What was different about their interactions with them in America?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)