|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
2. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
3. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
4. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
5. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
2. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
3. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
4. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
5. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
6. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
7. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
8. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
9. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
10. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mawi's father's sense of morality and the morality he instilled in his sons. Was the story told by Mawi's father about the boy stealing realistic for the time and place in which it occurred? What punishment did the boys face for their actions after stealing the parking meter? Why did they fear their father more than the police officer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the settings of Adi Wahla, Ethiopia, and Sudan. Where did Mawi's family first encounter refugees in Sudan? What were the conditions like there? Also discuss the journey of Mawi's family across the desert to arrive in Sudan. What dangers did the family face?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Haileab's life and career in Ethiopia. What caused the rebel forces to want Haileab's assistance in their fight? Why did he refuse? Discuss the decisions and actions made by Haileab in leaving for Sudan. How did the author's mother feel about her husband's dangerous departure?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)