|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Haileab left his family, he did so because he knew that if they traveled with him, they would be ____________.
(a) Considered heroes.
2. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
3. What did Haileab do with the debris after cleaning up his new neighborhood?
(a) Dumped it in the river.
(b) Took it to the landfill.
(c) Burned it.
(d) Put it in the trash.
4. Who offered Mawi a full-tuition scholarship?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) The University of Michigan.
(c) Wayne State University.
(d) Oxford University.
5. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
(a) Focus on one thing.
(b) His taxes.
(c) Market himself.
(d) Use logic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
3. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
4. At what nearby college did Mawi use the sports facilities to exercise growing up?
5. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
2. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
3. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
4. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
5. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
6. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
7. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
8. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
9. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
10. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)