|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
2. What refers to an athletic conference comprising eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States?
(a) The upper league.
(b) The PAC 10.
(c) The Ivy League.
(d) The big 10.
3. At what nearby college did Mawi use the sports facilities to exercise growing up?
(a) Wheaton College.
(d) College of DuPage.
4. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(a) Application fees.
(b) Test scores.
(d) U.S. residency requirements.
5. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy from _______________.
(b) South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mawi realize his father had been at the end of "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. The man that Tewolde took the weight bench to in "Libee Migbar" was the same man from where?
3. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
4. What would Mawi's father do whenever the armies approached?
5. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
3. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
4. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
5. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
6. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
7. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
8. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
9. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
10. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)