|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tewolde wanted to clean windows at what building?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The candy store.
(c) The library.
(d) The church.
2. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
3. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
(a) 10 miles.
(b) 26 miles.
(c) 3 miles.
(d) 5 miles.
4. What is the official name for the largest Christian church in Egypt and the Middle East?
(a) The Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria.
(b) The Roman Catholic Church.
(c) The Roman Orthodox Church.
(d) The Orthodox Church of the Nazarene.
5. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
(a) Wrote letters to his parents.
(b) Tutored him after school.
(c) Gave him money.
(d) Bumped his grades up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
2. Mawi was a high honor roll student until he hit what level of school in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
3. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
4. What job did Mawi and Tewolde do first in order to make money in "Libee Migbar"?
5. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
2. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
3. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
4. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
6. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
7. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
8. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
9. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
10. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)