|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
2. How old was Tewolde when the author describes him undergoing a personal transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
3. At what nearby college did Mawi use the sports facilities to exercise growing up?
(b) Wheaton College.
(c) College of DuPage.
4. Mawi's father was so helpful that the rebels wanted him to do what for them, as described in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Be a healer.
(b) Be a captain.
(c) Be a soldier.
(d) Be a spy.
5. Who offered Mawi a full-tuition scholarship?
(a) Wayne State University.
(b) The University of Michigan.
(c) Harvard University.
(d) Oxford University.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long was Mawi separated from his father while in Africa during his childhood?
2. Where did Mawi and Tewolde take their second job?
3. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
4. What is identified in the Bible as the place of refuge that the Holy Family sought in its flight from Judea?
5. What refers to an athletic conference comprising eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
2. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
3. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
4. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
6. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
7. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
8. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
9. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
10. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)