|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi was a high honor roll student until he hit what level of school in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(b) Middle school.
(c) High school.
(d) Elementary school.
2. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
(b) Jay walking.
(c) Not praying.
3. Haileab earned further education and became what as opposed to a full-fledged doctor?
(a) An MRI technician.
(b) A phlebotomy technician.
(c) An X-Ray technician.
(d) An advanced dresser.
4. Tewolde had a knack for what, according to the author in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) Playing the guitar.
(b) Picking up girls.
(c) Getting things for free.
(d) Playing skip-rope.
5. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
(a) Their father.
(b) The school principle.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A nun.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
2. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
3. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
4. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
5. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
3. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
5. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
6. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
7. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
8. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
9. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
10. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)