|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Haileab do with the debris after cleaning up his new neighborhood?
(a) Put it in the trash.
(b) Took it to the landfill.
(c) Dumped it in the river.
(d) Burned it.
2. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 3 miles.
(c) 10 miles.
(d) 26 miles.
3. Who offered Mawi a full-tuition scholarship?
(a) The University of Michigan.
(b) Wayne State University.
(c) Oxford University.
(d) Harvard University.
4. What did Mawi become during his senior year?
(a) A football star.
(c) A chess champion.
(d) President of Student Government.
5. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
Short Answer Questions
1. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
2. Tewolde wanted to clean windows at what building?
3. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
4. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
5. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
2. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
3. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
4. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
6. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
7. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
8. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
9. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
10. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)