|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What forced Haileab into unemployment in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) He got fired.
(b) Vision loss.
(c) A knee injury.
2. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
3. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 10 miles.
(c) 3 miles.
(d) 26 miles.
4. What did Mawi realize his father had been at the end of "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A thief.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A hero.
(d) A professional athlete.
5. What library did Mawi and his brother often go to in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) The Philadelphia Public Library.
(b) The Harvard Library.
(c) The Boston Public Library.
(d) The Wheaton Public Library.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
2. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
3. In "Days of Mischief," what did the villagers of Sudan build for the annual celebration?
4. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
5. Who offered Mawi a full-tuition scholarship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
2. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
3. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
4. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
5. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
6. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
7. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
8. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
9. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
10. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)