|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease did Haileab develop in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) Multiple sclerosis.
2. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
3. At what nearby college did Mawi use the sports facilities to exercise growing up?
(a) College of DuPage.
(c) Wheaton College.
4. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
5. Where did Mawi's father work while they were refugees awaiting immigration to America?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) The Swedish Ministry clinic.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The Presbyterian Ministry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
2. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
3. In what country was Mawi born?
4. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
5. Mawi was a high honor roll student until he hit what level of school in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
2. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
3. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
4. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
6. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
7. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
8. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
9. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
10. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)