|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
2. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(a) College application fees.
(b) A new car.
(c) Food and clothing.
(d) A ticket to Africa.
3. What year was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
4. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
(a) He had a brain aneurysm.
(b) He was hit by a drunk driver.
(c) He fell down a flight of stairs.
(d) He was shot while jogging.
5. Where did Mawi's father work while they were refugees awaiting immigration to America?
(a) The Swedish Ministry clinic.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The Presbyterian Ministry.
(d) The United Nations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the official name for the largest Christian church in Egypt and the Middle East?
2. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
3. What job did Mawi and Tewolde do first in order to make money in "Libee Migbar"?
4. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
5. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
2. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
3. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
4. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
5. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
6. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
7. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
8. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
9. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
10. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)