|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tewolde wanted to clean windows at what building?
(a) The candy store.
(b) The library.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The church.
2. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A beetle.
(b) A slug.
(c) A snake.
(d) A rat.
3. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
4. Where did Mawi's father work while they were refugees awaiting immigration to America?
(a) The Swedish Ministry clinic.
(b) The Presbyterian Ministry.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The Red Cross.
5. What is the official name for the largest Christian church in Egypt and the Middle East?
(a) The Roman Orthodox Church.
(b) The Roman Catholic Church.
(c) The Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria.
(d) The Orthodox Church of the Nazarene.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what nearby college did Mawi use the sports facilities to exercise growing up?
2. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
3. What forced Haileab into unemployment in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
5. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
2. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
3. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
4. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
5. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
6. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
7. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
8. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
9. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
10. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)