|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Haileab raised?
(a) A mosque.
(b) A monastery.
(c) A factory.
(d) A castle.
2. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A beetle.
(b) A snake.
(c) A rat.
(d) A slug.
3. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
4. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
5. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
2. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
3. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
4. Where did Mawi and his brother take a parking meter after knocking it down?
5. What did the track coach purchase for Mawi during the four years he was on the track team?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
2. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
3. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
4. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
5. What did Mawi and his siblings learn about their father's birth and early life in "The Making of a Man"?
6. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
7. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
8. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
9. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
10. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)