|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(a) Food and clothing.
(b) A ticket to Africa.
(c) A new car.
(d) College application fees.
2. What did Haileab regularly have his children get up and do in the mornings?
(a) Wash the car.
(b) Play Scrabble.
3. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(b) U.S. residency requirements.
(c) Test scores.
(d) Application fees.
4. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Her sister's home.
(b) Her father's home.
(c) Her cousin's home.
(d) Her brother's home.
5. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
(a) Gotten a wife for.
(b) Sent candy to.
(c) Sent to China.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
2. What forced Haileab into unemployment in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
3. Tewolde had a knack for what, according to the author in "Libee Migbar"?
4. Tewolde wanted to clean windows at what building?
5. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
2. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
3. What led to Tewolde developing his own business in "Libee Migbar"?
4. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
5. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
6. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
7. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
8. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
9. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
10. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)