|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the official name for the largest Christian church in Egypt and the Middle East?
(a) The Orthodox Church of the Nazarene.
(b) The Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria.
(c) The Roman Catholic Church.
(d) The Roman Orthodox Church.
2. Tewolde had a knack for what, according to the author in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) Playing the guitar.
(b) Playing skip-rope.
(c) Picking up girls.
(d) Getting things for free.
3. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
4. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(b) U.S. residency requirements.
(c) Test scores.
(d) Application fees.
5. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mawi become during his senior year?
2. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
3. What did Haileab regularly have his children get up and do in the mornings?
4. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
5. The man that Tewolde took the weight bench to in "Libee Migbar" was the same man from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
2. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
3. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
4. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
6. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
7. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
8. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
9. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
10. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)