|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tewolde help the man whom he had taken the weight bench from find?
(a) His parents.
(b) A bank to rob.
(c) His wife and children.
(d) Housing and a job.
2. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His mother.
(c) His school counselor.
(d) The school janitor.
3. In what year was Haileab born?
4. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
(a) He fell down a flight of stairs.
(b) He was hit by a drunk driver.
(c) He was shot while jogging.
(d) He had a brain aneurysm.
5. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
Short Answer Questions
1. Haileab earned further education and became what as opposed to a full-fledged doctor?
2. Mawi was a high honor roll student until he hit what level of school in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
3. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
4. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
5. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy from _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
2. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
3. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
4. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
6. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
7. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
8. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
9. Who related stories of Haileab to Mawi in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did Mawi realize about his father after hearing these stories?
10. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)