|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tewolde wanted to clean windows at what building?
(a) The library.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The church.
(d) The candy store.
2. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
(a) 3 miles.
(b) 26 miles.
(c) 10 miles.
(d) 5 miles.
3. Mawi was a high honor roll student until he hit what level of school in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(a) Middle school.
(c) Elementary school.
(d) High school.
4. In "Days of Mischief," what did the villagers of Sudan build for the annual celebration?
(a) A temple.
(b) A huge bonfire.
(c) A great pyramid.
(d) A sacrificial altar.
5. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
2. What would Mawi's father do whenever the armies approached?
3. The man that Tewolde took the weight bench to in "Libee Migbar" was the same man from where?
4. What forced Haileab into unemployment in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
2. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
3. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
4. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
5. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
6. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
7. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
8. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
9. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
10. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)