|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
(a) Soccer scores.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The Bible.
2. Mawi and his brother almost died from __________________ when they were sent away from their mother.
(a) A lion.
(b) A flash flood.
(c) A sandstorm.
(d) A snake.
3. What did Mawi become during his senior year?
(b) A chess champion.
(c) A football star.
(d) President of Student Government.
4. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
5. For how long was Mawi separated from his father while in Africa during his childhood?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
2. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
3. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
4. Tewolde had a knack for what, according to the author in "Libee Migbar"?
5. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
3. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
4. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
6. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
7. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
8. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
9. How did Mawi's father come to work essentially as a doctor, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
10. Where does Mawi describe his father reciting poetry in "The Unmaking of a Man"? What did he think of the poetry?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)