|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Eyeing the Mountaintop," Mawi realized that his family was unique and that not everybody looked for _______________.
2. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(b) Test scores.
(c) Application fees.
(d) U.S. residency requirements.
3. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
4. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
(a) He was shot while jogging.
(b) He had a brain aneurysm.
(c) He fell down a flight of stairs.
(d) He was hit by a drunk driver.
5. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
(a) Sent candy to.
(b) Gotten a wife for.
(d) Sent to China.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
2. How old was Tewolde when the author describes him undergoing a personal transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
3. In what year was Haileab born?
4. Haileab was unable to pass the test to get _______________.
5. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
2. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
3. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
6. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
7. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
8. How did Mawi attempt to take responsibility for his family, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
9. What did Mawi find in Tewolde's room after his death in "Libee Migbar"? What did this make him realize?
10. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)