|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A rat.
(b) A snake.
(c) A beetle.
(d) A slug.
2. Haileab was unable to pass the test to get _______________.
(a) A drivers license.
(b) A pilots license.
(c) A job.
(d) A hunting license.
3. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(a) A new car.
(b) A ticket to Africa.
(c) Food and clothing.
(d) College application fees.
4. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy from _______________.
(d) South America.
5. What profession did Haileab have in Africa?
(d) Food vendor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawi and Tewolde take their second job?
2. What is identified in the Bible as the place of refuge that the Holy Family sought in its flight from Judea?
3. What year was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
4. Why did Haileab's family have to relocate in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. What was one of several topics to avoid talking about with their parents, according to the author in "Coffee Tales"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What faux pas did Haileab commit at the family's new residence in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
3. What did Tewolde hope to accomplish with his business in "Libee Migbar"? What happened instead?
4. Where did Tewolde and Mawi take the weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? What discovery did Mawi make of his brother?
5. Where did Haileab find control in his life, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
6. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
7. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
8. What athletics was the author involved in during high school, as related in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who helped him succeed?
9. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
10. How did Tewolde acquire a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"? Whom did he ask to help transport it?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)