|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
2. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
3. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
4. What is the capital of Eritrea?
(a) Adi Wahla.
5. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) A teacher grabbed him.
(b) A dog attacked the bully.
(c) His parents found him.
(d) Another bully attacked him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
2. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
3. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
4. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
5. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
2. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
3. How does the author describe his father after his death in "Father Haileab"? How was Haileab killed?
4. What did Mawi and his brother learn about their father's departure in "Coffee Tales"?
5. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
6. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
7. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
8. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
9. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
10. Where does the author state that true power comes from in "Izgihare Yihabkoom"? What has been his inspiration?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)