|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
(b) Downers Grove.
2. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
3. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
4. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
5. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
Short Answer Questions
1. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
2. What Christian organization helped Mawi's family in immigrating in "Coming to America"?
3. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
4. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
5. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
2. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
3. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
4. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
5. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
6. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
7. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
8. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
9. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
10. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)