|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
2. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
(c) Adi Wahla.
3. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
4. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
(c) South America.
5. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
2. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
3. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
4. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
5. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
2. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
3. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
4. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
5. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
6. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
7. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
8. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
9. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
10. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)