|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
2. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
3. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
(a) Smile in public.
(b) Answer the door.
(c) Take a seat.
(d) Speak when visitors came.
4. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Gift from God."
(b) "Thank you."
(c) "Little lion."
(d) "Constant focus."
5. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
2. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
3. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
4. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
5. What was the name of the author's older brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
2. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
3. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
4. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
5. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
6. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
7. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
8. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
9. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
10. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)