|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the author's older brother?
2. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
3. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Play sports.
(b) Get jobs.
(c) Throw rocks.
(d) Not retaliate.
4. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
5. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
2. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
3. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
4. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
5. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
2. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
3. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
4. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
5. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
6. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
7. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
8. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
9. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
10. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)