|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
(b) Knots of old clothes.
(c) Balls of twine.
2. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 11 years.
3. Mawi recalls how his father was known for his skills at what in "The Camp"?
4. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
5. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
(a) Adi Wahla.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
2. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
3. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
4. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
5. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
2. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
3. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
4. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
5. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
6. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
7. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
8. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
9. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
10. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)