|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Constant focus."
(b) "Thank you."
(c) "Gift from God."
(d) "Little lion."
2. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
3. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
4. What is the capital of Eritrea?
(b) Adi Wahla.
5. What was the name of the author's older brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
2. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
3. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
4. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
5. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
2. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
3. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
4. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
5. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
6. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
7. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
8. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
9. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
10. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)