|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(b) Lagos, Nigeria.
(c) Kano, Nigeria.
(d) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
2. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
3. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
(a) Answer the door.
(b) Smile in public.
(c) Speak when visitors came.
(d) Take a seat.
4. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
5. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
2. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
3. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
4. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
5. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
2. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
3. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
4. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
5. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
6. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
7. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
8. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
9. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
10. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)