|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
(a) A pocket knife.
(b) An address book.
(c) A pocket watch.
(d) A wallet.
2. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
3. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
4. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
5. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
2. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
3. What country borders Eritrea to the west?
4. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
5. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
2. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
3. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
4. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
5. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
6. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
7. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
8. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
9. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
10. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)