|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
2. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The Christian Science Ministry.
(b) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
(c) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(d) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
3. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
(a) Sela Asgedom.
(b) Mawi Asgedom.
(c) Lama Asgedom.
(d) Haileab Asgedom.
4. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
(b) Church donations.
5. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Mawi's father?
2. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
3. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
4. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
5. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
2. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
3. What plan did Mawi and Tewolde develop on Halloween in "Days of Mischief"?
4. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
5. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
6. What did Mawi know not to discuss with his parents as a child? How did he and his brother learn about the past in "Coffee Tales"?
7. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
8. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
9. What led to Mawi's father leaving alone for Sudan, as related in "The Making of a Man"?
10. What does the author surmise of his father in "Izgihare Yihabkoom"? What irony does he present?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)