|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 11 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 7 years.
2. What was the name of Mawi's father?
3. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
(a) The Pacific Ocean.
(b) The Red Sea.
(c) The Indian Ocean.
(d) The Dead Sea.
4. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Take a test.
(b) Pay a fee.
(c) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(d) Learn U.S. history.
5. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
2. Mawi recalls how his father was known for his skills at what in "The Camp"?
3. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
4. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
5. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
2. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
3. How does the author describe his brother's transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
4. What led Mawi's mother to eventually leave for Sudan with her children, as revealed in "Coffee Tales"?
5. What correlation did the author find between Halloween and holidays from his homeland in "Days of Mischief"?
6. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
7. How did Haileab help friends in the old country who were accused of knocking down signs in "Father Haileab"?
8. Where does the author state that true power comes from in "Izgihare Yihabkoom"? What has been his inspiration?
9. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
10. Why was Mawi's family evicted? What happened when they moved in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)