|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
(b) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(c) The Christian Science Ministry.
(d) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
2. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Liberian liberation movement.
(b) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
(c) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(d) The United Nations.
3. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
(b) Downers Grove.
4. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
5. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 11 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
2. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
3. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
4. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
5. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
2. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
3. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
4. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
5. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
6. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
7. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
8. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
9. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
10. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)