|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
2. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
(c) South America.
3. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
(b) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
(c) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(d) The Christian Science Ministry.
4. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(b) Learn U.S. history.
(c) Pay a fee.
(d) Take a test.
5. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
(c) Downers Grove.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
2. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
3. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
4. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
5. What is the capital of Eritrea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
2. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
3. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
4. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
5. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
6. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
7. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
8. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
9. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
10. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)