|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
2. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
(b) Knots of old clothes.
(d) Balls of twine.
3. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) The Inited Nations.
(b) Large predatory animals.
(c) The Egytian military.
(d) Sudanese rebel groups.
4. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
5. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Red Sea.
(c) The Dead Sea.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
2. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
3. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
4. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
5. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
2. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
3. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
4. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
5. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
6. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
7. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
8. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
9. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
10. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)