|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
2. What refers to extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development?
(a) Kick boxing.
(b) Martial arts.
(c) Mud wrestling.
(d) Street fighting.
3. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
(b) Adi Wahla.
4. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
(b) Balls of twine.
(d) Knots of old clothes.
5. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) Sudanese rebel groups.
(b) Large predatory animals.
(c) The Inited Nations.
(d) The Egytian military.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
2. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
3. What was the name of Mawi's father?
4. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
5. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
2. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
3. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
4. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
5. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
6. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
7. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
8. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
9. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
10. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)