|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
2. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) A twenty dollar bill.
(b) A bottle of whiskey.
(c) A new shirt.
(d) A piece of gum.
3. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) World Relief workers.
(b) U.S. Diplomats.
(c) Mawi's uncle.
(d) Christian Scientists.
4. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(b) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
(c) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Haileab Asgedom.
5. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
2. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
3. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
4. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
5. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
2. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
3. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
4. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
5. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
6. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
7. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
8. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
9. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
10. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)