|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Kano, Nigeria.
(b) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(c) Lagos, Nigeria.
(d) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
2. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) Another bully attacked him.
(b) His parents found him.
(c) A dog attacked the bully.
(d) A teacher grabbed him.
3. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Dead Sea.
(c) The Red Sea.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
4. Mawi recalls how his father was known for his skills at what in "The Camp"?
5. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
(d) South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
2. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
3. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
4. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
5. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
2. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
3. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
4. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
5. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
6. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
7. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
8. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
9. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
10. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)