|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
2. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(b) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
(c) The Christian Science Ministry.
(d) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
3. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Pay a fee.
(b) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(c) Learn U.S. history.
(d) Take a test.
4. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
5. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
Short Answer Questions
1. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
2. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
3. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
4. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
5. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
2. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
3. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
4. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
5. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
6. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
7. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
8. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
9. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
10. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)