|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Liberian liberation movement.
(b) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(c) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
(d) The United Nations.
2. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
(a) "Give Peace a Chance."
(b) "I Love You."
(c) "We Are the World."
(d) "Bo Diddly."
3. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(c) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
4. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
5. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
2. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
3. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
4. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
5. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
2. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
3. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
4. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
5. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
6. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
7. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
8. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
9. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
10. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)