|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his native language, the author's true name means ___________________.
(a) "The strength to swim upstream."
(b) "Peaceful power from above to make others kneel before him."
(c) "Celestial wizard."
(d) "Light of dawn."
2. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
3. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
(a) The Red Sea.
(b) The Indian Ocean.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The Dead Sea.
4. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
5. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
(a) Migratory birds.
(c) Trapped rats.
(d) United Nations rations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
2. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
3. What was the name of Mawi's father?
4. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
5. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
2. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
3. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
4. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
5. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
6. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
7. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
8. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
9. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
10. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)