|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development?
(a) Street fighting.
(b) Martial arts.
(c) Mud wrestling.
(d) Kick boxing.
2. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(b) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
(c) Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
3. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
4. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
5. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Roger Botwin.
(b) Mike Thompson.
(c) Bobby Smith.
(d) Jake Evans.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
2. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
3. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
4. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
5. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
2. What did Mawi's family learn about American culture through television in "A New Life"? What else did they do for entertainment?
3. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
4. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
5. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
6. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
7. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
8. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
9. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
10. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)