|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Get jobs.
(b) Not retaliate.
(c) Play sports.
(d) Throw rocks.
2. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
3. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
4. Eritrea and Ethiopia had fought a civil war until what year?
5. What animals does the author remember shrieking in the beginning of "Memories"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
2. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
3. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
4. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
5. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
2. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
3. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
4. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
5. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
6. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
7. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
8. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
9. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
10. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)