|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
(b) Church donations.
2. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
3. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
4. What was the name of Mawi's father?
5. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
Short Answer Questions
1. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
2. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
3. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
4. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
5. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
2. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
3. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
4. What example of foreshadowing does the author employ in "A New Life"? What did the family learn about American culture in this chapter?
5. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
6. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
7. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
8. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
9. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
10. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)