|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
2. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
3. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
(a) Sela Asgedom.
(b) Lama Asgedom.
(c) Mawi Asgedom.
(d) Haileab Asgedom.
4. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(a) Native food.
(b) Extended visas.
(c) Native clothing.
5. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
2. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
3. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
4. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
5. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
2. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
3. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
4. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
5. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
6. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
7. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
8. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
9. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
10. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)