|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
(c) South America.
2. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
3. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
(a) The food.
(b) The water.
(c) The language.
(d) The weather.
4. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
(a) Church donations.
5. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
(a) "Bo Diddly."
(b) "We Are the World."
(c) "Give Peace a Chance."
(d) "I Love You."
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
2. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
3. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
4. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
5. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
2. How did the children in Mawi's new home perceive his family, as described in "Playground Warfare"? How did they treat them?
3. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
4. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
5. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
6. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
7. How does Mawi describe his interactions with bullies in "The Camp"? Who came to his aid when he was attacked?
8. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
9. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
10. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)