|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
2. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
3. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Mike Thompson.
(b) Bobby Smith.
(c) Roger Botwin.
(d) Jake Evans.
4. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
(a) Downers Grove.
5. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(b) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
(c) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
(d) The Christian Science Ministry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
2. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
3. What animals does the author remember shrieking in the beginning of "Memories"?
4. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
5. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
2. How does the author describe the educational system and his interaction with other children in "The Camp"?
3. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
4. What deferred Mawi's family from leaving for America in 1982 in "Coming to America"?
5. With whom did Mawi travel across the desert in "Memories"? Where were they going? How old was Mawi?
6. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
7. Where did Mawi's family stay upon their arrival in the U.S. in "A New Life"? Who met and helped them at the airport?
8. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
9. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
10. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)