|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
(b) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(c) The Christian Science Ministry.
(d) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
2. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(b) The Liberian liberation movement.
(c) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
(d) The United Nations.
3. What animals does the author remember shrieking in the beginning of "Memories"?
4. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
5. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
2. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
3. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
4. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
5. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the evolution of Mawi's feelings about his father in the narrative. What did Haileab teach him?
2. What did Mawi realize about his family in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"? Who did he hope to become like?
3. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
4. How does the author describe his father's transformation in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. How does the author describe his last visit with his father in "Father Haileab"?
6. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
7. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
8. How did Mawi and his brother almost get arrested in "Days of Mischief"? What words of their father did they recall?
9. What stories does the author say his brother told him in "Playground Warfare"? What did he later realize about these stories?
10. Where does the author state that true power comes from in "Izgihare Yihabkoom"? What has been his inspiration?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)