|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
2. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
(a) Smile in public.
(b) Speak when visitors came.
(c) Take a seat.
(d) Answer the door.
3. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
4. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
5. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
2. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
3. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
4. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
5. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbolism is employed in describing Mawi's younger brother's birth in "A New Life"?
2. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
3. How does the author describe the Sudanese rebels in "The Camp"? Where did the author's father want to go in order to find security?
4. Who helped Mawi's family in "Coming to America"? What does this organization do?
5. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
6. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
7. What did Mawi's father teach his children about strangers in "God's Angels"?
8. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
9. Who agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"? What did Mawi's family make of the sights of Chicago?
10. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)