|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Pay a fee.
(b) Learn U.S. history.
(c) Take a test.
(d) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
(b) The Christian Science Ministry.
(c) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
(d) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
3. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
4. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
(d) Church donations.
5. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
(a) A job for Mawi.
(b) An energy efficient car.
(c) A smaller apartment.
(d) A renter for the upstairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
2. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
3. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
4. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
5. In his native language, the author's true name means ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author explain the meaning of his name in the Author's Note? Whose story does he assert Of Beetles and Angels tells in this preface?
2. What woman helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in "A New Life"? How did the family adjust to the culture shock of the new country?
3. Who led the author's family across the desert in "Memories"? How is she described?
4. What did Mawi's parents believe about education, as described in "Playground Warfare"? Why?
5. Where did Mawi's family live as refugees in "The Camp"? Where did his father work?
6. What did the strangers from Mawi's homeland bring to his family in "A New Life"? How did they help his mother?
7. What memories does the author describe of his childhood home in "Memories"? What does he question about the memories?
8. What incident does Mawi describe of being bullied terribly in "Playground Warfare"? Who saved him?
9. How does Mawi describe his memories of his family as refugees in "The Camp"?
10. How does the author describe his origins in the Author's Note? What is the political history of this region?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)