|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession did Haileab have in Africa?
(a) Food vendor.
2. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
(a) He had a brain aneurysm.
(b) He fell down a flight of stairs.
(c) He was hit by a drunk driver.
(d) He was shot while jogging.
3. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
(a) His taxes.
(b) Use logic.
(c) Market himself.
(d) Focus on one thing.
4. When Haileab left his family, he did so because he knew that if they traveled with him, they would be ____________.
(d) Considered heroes.
5. What is the name of the individual who believed in Mawi and appreciated his dedication to track?
6. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy from _______________.
(c) South America.
7. What was one of several topics to avoid talking about with their parents, according to the author in "Coffee Tales"?
8. Where did Haileab work as a janitor in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A sports stadium.
(b) An office building.
(c) The college.
(d) A dentist's office.
9. What job did Mawi and Tewolde do first in order to make money in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) Restructured damaged driveways.
(c) Drove cabs.
(d) Sorted recycling.
10. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
(b) Jay walking.
(d) Not praying.
11. What did the track coach purchase for Mawi during the four years he was on the track team?
(a) Running shoes.
12. What year was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
13. Who offered Mawi a full-tuition scholarship?
(a) The University of Michigan.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) Oxford University.
(d) Wayne State University.
14. How long was it after the library incident that a friend was giving away a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) A year.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Seven months.
(d) Two weeks.
15. In "Eyeing the Mountaintop," Mawi realized that his family was unique and that not everybody looked for _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
2. Where was Haileab raised?
3. Haileab decided to help the neighbors by cleaning up their leaves and getting garbage out of __________________.
4. Mawi's father was so helpful that the rebels wanted him to do what for them, as described in "Coffee Tales"?
5. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)