|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mawi become during his senior year?
(b) A football star.
(c) President of Student Government.
(d) A chess champion.
2. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Her sister's home.
(b) Her father's home.
(c) Her brother's home.
(d) Her cousin's home.
3. What forced Haileab into unemployment in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) He got fired.
(c) A knee injury.
(d) Vision loss.
4. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
(a) Sent to China.
(b) Gotten a wife for.
(c) Sent candy to.
5. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
(a) "Developing heart."
(b) "Full stomach."
(c) "Howls like wolf."
(d) "Eagle vision."
6. When Haileab left his family, he did so because he knew that if they traveled with him, they would be ____________.
(a) Considered heroes.
7. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
(a) A nun.
(b) Their father.
(c) A policeman.
(d) The school principle.
8. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
9. What year was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
10. What would Mawi's father do whenever the armies approached?
(a) Insult them.
(b) Tell them to go away.
(c) Throw water at them.
(d) Go into hiding.
11. What did the track coach purchase for Mawi during the four years he was on the track team?
(b) Running shoes.
12. What library did Mawi and his brother often go to in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) The Philadelphia Public Library.
(b) The Boston Public Library.
(c) The Wheaton Public Library.
(d) The Harvard Library.
13. Mawi's father was so helpful that the rebels wanted him to do what for them, as described in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Be a spy.
(b) Be a soldier.
(c) Be a healer.
(d) Be a captain.
14. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
(b) Not praying.
(c) Jay walking.
15. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 10 miles.
(c) 26 miles.
(d) 3 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease did Haileab develop in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. What is the name of the individual who believed in Mawi and appreciated his dedication to track?
3. What quickly became the favorite American holiday of Mawi and his siblings in "Days of Mischief"?
4. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
5. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)