|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mawi become during his senior year?
(a) A chess champion.
(b) A football star.
(d) President of Student Government.
2. For how long was Mawi separated from his father while in Africa during his childhood?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 years.
3. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy from _______________.
(d) South America.
4. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A rat.
(b) A snake.
(c) A beetle.
(d) A slug.
5. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
(a) Marrying into wealth.
(b) Academic success.
(c) Athletic success.
(d) Getting a job.
6. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
7. What did Tewolde help the man whom he had taken the weight bench from find?
(a) A bank to rob.
(b) His wife and children.
(c) His parents.
(d) Housing and a job.
8. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
9. Where was Haileab raised?
(a) A mosque.
(b) A castle.
(c) A factory.
(d) A monastery.
10. What did Haileab regularly have his children get up and do in the mornings?
(a) Play Scrabble.
(d) Wash the car.
11. What is the name of the individual who believed in Mawi and appreciated his dedication to track?
12. Tewolde wanted to clean windows at what building?
(a) The library.
(b) The church.
(c) The candy store.
(d) The hospital.
13. What forced Haileab into unemployment in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) He got fired.
(b) A knee injury.
(d) Vision loss.
14. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
15. Why did Haileab's family have to relocate in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) Their house burned down.
(b) They couldn't afford increased rent.
(c) Mawi got a job in Seattle.
(d) Their house was demolished in a tornado.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Eyeing the Mountaintop," Mawi realized that his family was unique and that not everybody looked for _______________.
2. Where did Mawi and his brother take a parking meter after knocking it down?
3. What did Haileab do with the debris after cleaning up his new neighborhood?
4. Where did Mawi and Tewolde take their second job?
5. Tewolde had a knack for what, according to the author in "Libee Migbar"?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)