|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Haileab work as a janitor in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A sports stadium.
(b) The college.
(c) An office building.
(d) A dentist's office.
2. Where did Mawi and his brother take a parking meter after knocking it down?
(a) To a swamp.
(b) To a church.
(c) To a cave.
(d) To a bridge.
3. What was one of several topics to avoid talking about with their parents, according to the author in "Coffee Tales"?
4. What did Haileab regularly have his children get up and do in the mornings?
(c) Play Scrabble.
(d) Wash the car.
5. What did Tewolde help the man whom he had taken the weight bench from find?
(a) His wife and children.
(b) His parents.
(c) A bank to rob.
(d) Housing and a job.
6. What disease did Haileab develop in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(b) Multiple sclerosis.
7. Tewolde wanted to clean windows at what building?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The library.
(c) The candy store.
(d) The church.
8. When Haileab left his family, he did so because he knew that if they traveled with him, they would be ____________.
(b) Considered heroes.
9. What job did Mawi and Tewolde do first in order to make money in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) Sorted recycling.
(b) Restructured damaged driveways.
(c) Drove cabs.
10. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
(a) Getting a job.
(b) Academic success.
(c) Marrying into wealth.
(d) Athletic success.
11. What did the track coach purchase for Mawi during the four years he was on the track team?
(d) Running shoes.
12. In "Days of Mischief," what did the villagers of Sudan build for the annual celebration?
(a) A temple.
(b) A huge bonfire.
(c) A sacrificial altar.
(d) A great pyramid.
13. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
14. Who offered Mawi a full-tuition scholarship?
(a) Oxford University.
(b) Wayne State University.
(c) The University of Michigan.
(d) Harvard University.
15. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
(a) Buy supplies.
(b) See the sights.
(c) Donate money.
(d) See his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date was Mawi Asgedom born?
2. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
3. What forced Haileab into unemployment in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
4. Where was Haileab raised?
5. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)