|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Haileab raised?
(a) A factory.
(b) A castle.
(c) A monastery.
(d) A mosque.
2. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
(a) The school principle.
(b) Their father.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A nun.
3. What did the track coach purchase for Mawi during the four years he was on the track team?
(c) Running shoes.
4. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(a) Test scores.
(b) U.S. residency requirements.
(c) Application fees.
5. Where did Mawi and Tewolde take their second job?
(a) A movie theatre.
(b) A cleaning service.
(c) A dog groomer.
(d) A restaurant.
6. Mawi's brother was killed during what holiday break?
(d) Summer break.
7. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
(a) The school janitor.
(b) His mother.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His school counselor.
8. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
(a) Donate money.
(b) See the sights.
(c) Buy supplies.
(d) See his family.
9. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Soccer scores.
10. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
11. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
(a) Haileab's father.
(b) Haileab's brother.
(c) Haileab's sister.
(d) Haileab's mother.
12. What disease did Haileab develop in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(d) Multiple sclerosis.
13. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
(a) He was hit by a drunk driver.
(b) He had a brain aneurysm.
(c) He was shot while jogging.
(d) He fell down a flight of stairs.
14. In "Days of Mischief," what did the villagers of Sudan build for the annual celebration?
(a) A huge bonfire.
(b) A sacrificial altar.
(c) A temple.
(d) A great pyramid.
15. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
(a) Bumped his grades up.
(b) Gave him money.
(c) Wrote letters to his parents.
(d) Tutored him after school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Haileab was unable to pass the test to get _______________.
2. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
3. What would Mawi's father do whenever the armies approached?
4. What refers to an athletic conference comprising eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States?
5. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)