|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Mawi's father do whenever the armies approached?
(a) Throw water at them.
(b) Insult them.
(c) Tell them to go away.
(d) Go into hiding.
2. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
(a) 26 miles.
(b) 5 miles.
(c) 10 miles.
(d) 3 miles.
3. What is the official name for the largest Christian church in Egypt and the Middle East?
(a) The Roman Catholic Church.
(b) The Roman Orthodox Church.
(c) The Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria.
(d) The Orthodox Church of the Nazarene.
4. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
(b) The Bible.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) Soccer scores.
5. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
(a) Haileab's sister.
(b) Haileab's mother.
(c) Haileab's father.
(d) Haileab's brother.
6. When Haileab left his family, he did so because he knew that if they traveled with him, they would be ____________.
(c) Considered heroes.
7. What did Haileab regularly have his children get up and do in the mornings?
(a) Wash the car.
(d) Play Scrabble.
8. In "Eyeing the Mountaintop," Mawi realized that his family was unique and that not everybody looked for _______________.
9. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
(a) Sent candy to.
(b) Sent to China.
(d) Gotten a wife for.
10. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
11. What quickly became the favorite American holiday of Mawi and his siblings in "Days of Mischief"?
(b) The Fourth of July.
(c) Flag Day.
12. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
(a) See his family.
(b) See the sights.
(c) Donate money.
(d) Buy supplies.
13. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A snake.
(b) A rat.
(c) A beetle.
(d) A slug.
14. How long was it after the library incident that a friend was giving away a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) A year.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Two weeks.
15. In what year was Haileab born?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what nearby college did Mawi use the sports facilities to exercise growing up?
2. Mawi's brother was killed during what holiday break?
3. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
4. What is identified in the Bible as the place of refuge that the Holy Family sought in its flight from Judea?
5. Who offered Mawi a full-tuition scholarship?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)