|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Eyeing the Mountaintop," Mawi realized that his family was unique and that not everybody looked for _______________.
2. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A snake.
(b) A slug.
(c) A rat.
(d) A beetle.
3. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
(a) "Full stomach."
(b) "Developing heart."
(c) "Howls like wolf."
(d) "Eagle vision."
4. Where did Mawi's father work while they were refugees awaiting immigration to America?
(a) The Swedish Ministry clinic.
(b) The United Nations.
(c) The Red Cross.
(d) The Presbyterian Ministry.
5. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
(a) Gotten a wife for.
(b) Sent to China.
(c) Sent candy to.
6. Haileab earned further education and became what as opposed to a full-fledged doctor?
(a) A phlebotomy technician.
(b) An MRI technician.
(c) An X-Ray technician.
(d) An advanced dresser.
7. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
(a) Gave him money.
(b) Bumped his grades up.
(c) Wrote letters to his parents.
(d) Tutored him after school.
8. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
9. What would Mawi's father do whenever the armies approached?
(a) Throw water at them.
(b) Insult them.
(c) Tell them to go away.
(d) Go into hiding.
10. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
(a) Jay walking.
(d) Not praying.
11. What job did Mawi and Tewolde do first in order to make money in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) Sorted recycling.
(c) Restructured damaged driveways.
(d) Drove cabs.
12. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Soccer scores.
(c) The newspaper.
13. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(b) U.S. residency requirements.
(c) Application fees.
(d) Test scores.
14. The man that Tewolde took the weight bench to in "Libee Migbar" was the same man from where?
(a) The library.
(b) The bank.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The church.
15. What did Mawi realize his father had been at the end of "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A thief.
(b) A professional athlete.
(c) A hero.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Haileab born?
2. Haileab decided to help the neighbors by cleaning up their leaves and getting garbage out of __________________.
3. What quickly became the favorite American holiday of Mawi and his siblings in "Days of Mischief"?
4. Mawi and his brother almost died from __________________ when they were sent away from their mother.
5. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)