|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease did Haileab develop in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) Multiple sclerosis.
2. For how long was Mawi separated from his father while in Africa during his childhood?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
3. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
(a) The newspaper.
(c) Soccer scores.
(d) The Bible.
4. Haileab was unable to pass the test to get _______________.
(a) A job.
(b) A pilots license.
(c) A drivers license.
(d) A hunting license.
5. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
(a) He fell down a flight of stairs.
(b) He was hit by a drunk driver.
(c) He was shot while jogging.
(d) He had a brain aneurysm.
6. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(a) College application fees.
(b) A new car.
(c) A ticket to Africa.
(d) Food and clothing.
7. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
(a) Donate money.
(b) See the sights.
(c) Buy supplies.
(d) See his family.
8. What did Mawi realize his father had been at the end of "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A hero.
(b) A thief.
(c) A professional athlete.
(d) A doctor.
9. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Her father's home.
(b) Her cousin's home.
(c) Her brother's home.
(d) Her sister's home.
10. The man that Tewolde took the weight bench to in "Libee Migbar" was the same man from where?
(a) The church.
(b) The library.
(c) The bank.
(d) The cemetery.
11. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
12. Where was Haileab raised?
(a) A mosque.
(b) A castle.
(c) A monastery.
(d) A factory.
13. How long was it after the library incident that a friend was giving away a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A year.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Seven months.
14. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A nun.
(c) The school principle.
(d) Their father.
15. In what year was Haileab born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi and his brother almost died from __________________ when they were sent away from their mother.
2. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
3. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
4. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
5. Who offered Mawi a full-tuition scholarship?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)