|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mawi and his brother take a parking meter after knocking it down?
(a) To a bridge.
(b) To a swamp.
(c) To a cave.
(d) To a church.
2. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
(a) 10 miles.
(b) 3 miles.
(c) 26 miles.
(d) 5 miles.
3. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
(a) Donate money.
(b) Buy supplies.
(c) See his family.
(d) See the sights.
4. Where did Mawi's father work while they were refugees awaiting immigration to America?
(a) The United Nations.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) The Presbyterian Ministry.
(d) The Swedish Ministry clinic.
5. Where was Haileab raised?
(a) A monastery.
(b) A mosque.
(c) A castle.
(d) A factory.
6. In "Days of Mischief," what did the villagers of Sudan build for the annual celebration?
(a) A huge bonfire.
(b) A sacrificial altar.
(c) A temple.
(d) A great pyramid.
7. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
(a) Jay walking.
(d) Not praying.
8. Mawi's brother was killed during what holiday break?
(d) Summer break.
9. Haileab decided to help the neighbors by cleaning up their leaves and getting garbage out of __________________.
(a) A ditch.
(b) The creek.
(c) The lake.
(d) A storm drain.
10. Mawi's father was so helpful that the rebels wanted him to do what for them, as described in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Be a spy.
(b) Be a healer.
(c) Be a soldier.
(d) Be a captain.
11. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
12. The man that Tewolde took the weight bench to in "Libee Migbar" was the same man from where?
(a) The library.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The bank.
(d) The church.
13. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
14. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
(a) Tutored him after school.
(b) Gave him money.
(c) Bumped his grades up.
(d) Wrote letters to his parents.
15. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A beetle.
(b) A snake.
(c) A rat.
(d) A slug.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi and his brother almost died from __________________ when they were sent away from their mother.
2. Where did Mawi and Tewolde take their second job?
3. What library did Mawi and his brother often go to in "Libee Migbar"?
4. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
5. Why did Haileab's family have to relocate in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)