|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
2. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
(a) Bumped his grades up.
(b) Tutored him after school.
(c) Gave him money.
(d) Wrote letters to his parents.
3. Where did Haileab work as a janitor in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A sports stadium.
(b) The college.
(c) A dentist's office.
(d) An office building.
4. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy from _______________.
(a) South America.
5. What job did Mawi and Tewolde do first in order to make money in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) Sorted recycling.
(b) Drove cabs.
(d) Restructured damaged driveways.
6. The man that Tewolde took the weight bench to in "Libee Migbar" was the same man from where?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The church.
(c) The library.
(d) The bank.
7. Mawi was a high honor roll student until he hit what level of school in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(a) Elementary school.
(b) High school.
(d) Middle school.
8. What quickly became the favorite American holiday of Mawi and his siblings in "Days of Mischief"?
(a) Flag Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
9. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A rat.
(b) A slug.
(c) A beetle.
(d) A snake.
10. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Her brother's home.
(b) Her cousin's home.
(c) Her sister's home.
(d) Her father's home.
11. In "Days of Mischief," what did the villagers of Sudan build for the annual celebration?
(a) A huge bonfire.
(b) A sacrificial altar.
(c) A temple.
(d) A great pyramid.
12. What would Mawi's father do whenever the armies approached?
(a) Throw water at them.
(b) Insult them.
(c) Go into hiding.
(d) Tell them to go away.
13. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(b) Application fees.
(c) U.S. residency requirements.
(d) Test scores.
14. Haileab was unable to pass the test to get _______________.
(a) A drivers license.
(b) A job.
(c) A pilots license.
(d) A hunting license.
15. What did Haileab regularly have his children get up and do in the mornings?
(a) Wash the car.
(d) Play Scrabble.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease did Haileab develop in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. In what country was Mawi born?
3. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
4. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
5. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)