|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Haileab regularly have his children get up and do in the mornings?
(a) Play Scrabble.
(c) Wash the car.
2. What profession did Haileab have in Africa?
(d) Food vendor.
3. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
4. Mawi and his brother almost died from __________________ when they were sent away from their mother.
(a) A sandstorm.
(b) A flash flood.
(c) A snake.
(d) A lion.
5. What would Mawi's father do whenever the armies approached?
(a) Go into hiding.
(b) Throw water at them.
(c) Tell them to go away.
(d) Insult them.
6. In "Eyeing the Mountaintop," Mawi realized that his family was unique and that not everybody looked for _______________.
7. How old was Tewolde when the author describes him undergoing a personal transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
8. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
(a) Getting a job.
(b) Academic success.
(c) Athletic success.
(d) Marrying into wealth.
9. In "Days of Mischief," what did the villagers of Sudan build for the annual celebration?
(a) A sacrificial altar.
(b) A huge bonfire.
(c) A great pyramid.
(d) A temple.
10. What year was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
11. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
12. Haileab decided to help the neighbors by cleaning up their leaves and getting garbage out of __________________.
(a) The creek.
(b) A ditch.
(c) The lake.
(d) A storm drain.
13. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
14. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
(b) Sent candy to.
(c) Sent to China.
(d) Gotten a wife for.
15. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
(a) His mother.
(b) His school counselor.
(c) His best friend.
(d) The school janitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
2. How long was it after the library incident that a friend was giving away a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"?
3. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
4. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
5. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)