|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quickly became the favorite American holiday of Mawi and his siblings in "Days of Mischief"?
(a) The Fourth of July.
(b) Flag Day.
2. What did Tewolde help the man whom he had taken the weight bench from find?
(a) His wife and children.
(b) His parents.
(c) Housing and a job.
(d) A bank to rob.
3. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A nun.
(c) Their father.
(d) The school principle.
4. What did Mawi realize his father had been at the end of "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A thief.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A hero.
(d) A professional athlete.
5. Mawi's father was so helpful that the rebels wanted him to do what for them, as described in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Be a soldier.
(b) Be a spy.
(c) Be a captain.
(d) Be a healer.
6. Mawi's brother was killed during what holiday break?
(a) Summer break.
7. In "Days of Mischief," what did the villagers of Sudan build for the annual celebration?
(a) A temple.
(b) A huge bonfire.
(c) A great pyramid.
(d) A sacrificial altar.
8. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
9. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
10. What refers to an athletic conference comprising eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States?
(a) The PAC 10.
(b) The upper league.
(c) The big 10.
(d) The Ivy League.
11. What year was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
12. What would Mawi's father do whenever the armies approached?
(a) Tell them to go away.
(b) Go into hiding.
(c) Throw water at them.
(d) Insult them.
13. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
(b) Gotten a wife for.
(c) Sent to China.
(d) Sent candy to.
14. Where did Mawi and Tewolde take their second job?
(a) A movie theatre.
(b) A dog groomer.
(c) A cleaning service.
(d) A restaurant.
15. In what year was Haileab born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
2. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
3. How long was it after the library incident that a friend was giving away a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"?
4. At what nearby college did Mawi use the sports facilities to exercise growing up?
5. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)