|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi was a high honor roll student until he hit what level of school in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(a) Elementary school.
(b) High school.
(d) Middle school.
2. What did Mawi become during his senior year?
(b) A chess champion.
(c) President of Student Government.
(d) A football star.
3. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
(c) Jay walking.
(d) Not praying.
4. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
(a) Donate money.
(b) Buy supplies.
(c) See the sights.
(d) See his family.
5. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A snake.
(b) A rat.
(c) A beetle.
(d) A slug.
6. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
7. How old was Tewolde when the author describes him undergoing a personal transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
8. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
9. What did Mawi realize his father had been at the end of "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A thief.
(c) A hero.
(d) A professional athlete.
10. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
(a) Focus on one thing.
(b) Use logic.
(c) Market himself.
(d) His taxes.
11. What is the name of the individual who believed in Mawi and appreciated his dedication to track?
12. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
13. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
14. In what country was Mawi born?
15. When Haileab left his family, he did so because he knew that if they traveled with him, they would be ____________.
(d) Considered heroes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of several topics to avoid talking about with their parents, according to the author in "Coffee Tales"?
2. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
3. What profession did Haileab have in Africa?
4. At what nearby college did Mawi use the sports facilities to exercise growing up?
5. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)