|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
(a) Athletic success.
(b) Marrying into wealth.
(c) Academic success.
(d) Getting a job.
2. Who found Mawi and his brother after they knocked down a parking meter?
(a) A policeman.
(b) The school principle.
(c) Their father.
(d) A nun.
3. What year was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
4. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
5. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
(a) Soccer scores.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) The Bible.
6. What refers to an athletic conference comprising eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States?
(a) The upper league.
(b) The PAC 10.
(c) The big 10.
(d) The Ivy League.
7. What is the name of the individual who believed in Mawi and appreciated his dedication to track?
8. Whom did Tewolde ask to help him transport a weight bench?
9. What quickly became the favorite American holiday of Mawi and his siblings in "Days of Mischief"?
(c) Flag Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
10. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
(a) Haileab's mother.
(b) Haileab's father.
(c) Haileab's sister.
(d) Haileab's brother.
11. What did Mawi become during his senior year?
(b) A chess champion.
(c) A football star.
(d) President of Student Government.
12. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
(a) "Howls like wolf."
(b) "Eagle vision."
(c) "Full stomach."
(d) "Developing heart."
13. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
(a) He was hit by a drunk driver.
(b) He fell down a flight of stairs.
(c) He had a brain aneurysm.
(d) He was shot while jogging.
14. Tewolde wanted to clean windows at what building?
(a) The church.
(b) The library.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The candy store.
15. In "Eyeing the Mountaintop," Mawi realized that his family was unique and that not everybody looked for _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Mawi's father do whenever the armies approached?
2. Where was Haileab raised?
3. What word means to listen secretly to a private conversation?
4. What did Mawi realize his father had been at the end of "The Unmaking of a Man"?
5. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy from _______________.
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)