|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy that his brother had ______________.
(b) Sent to China.
(c) Gotten a wife for.
(d) Sent candy to.
2. How far did Mawi run to get to athletic practices at the school?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 3 miles.
(c) 10 miles.
(d) 26 miles.
3. What profession did Haileab have in Africa?
(d) Food vendor.
4. Haileab was unable to pass the test to get _______________.
(a) A drivers license.
(b) A job.
(c) A hunting license.
(d) A pilots license.
5. Mawi's father was so helpful that the rebels wanted him to do what for them, as described in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Be a soldier.
(b) Be a spy.
(c) Be a healer.
(d) Be a captain.
6. Mawi didn't have enough money for ___________, in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
(a) A new car.
(b) A ticket to Africa.
(c) Food and clothing.
(d) College application fees.
7. Why did Haileab's family have to relocate in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) Their house was demolished in a tornado.
(b) Mawi got a job in Seattle.
(c) They couldn't afford increased rent.
(d) Their house burned down.
8. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His school counselor.
(c) The school janitor.
(d) His mother.
9. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
10. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
11. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
(a) Donate money.
(b) See his family.
(c) Buy supplies.
(d) See the sights.
12. What year was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
13. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
14. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
(a) Not praying.
(b) Jay walking.
15. After Tewolde's death, Mawi was looking through his room and found a picture of a boy from _______________.
(c) South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
2. Who died soon after Haileab's birth, as described in "The Making of a Man"?
3. How long was it after the library incident that a friend was giving away a weight bench in "Libee Migbar"?
4. What did Haileab regularly have his children get up and do in the mornings?
5. What did Mawi realize his father had been at the end of "The Unmaking of a Man"?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)