|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tewolde had a knack for what, according to the author in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) Picking up girls.
(b) Playing skip-rope.
(c) Playing the guitar.
(d) Getting things for free.
2. Used to wealth and prestige back in his homeland, Haileab found himself metamorphosed into what in America, according to the author in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A rat.
(b) A snake.
(c) A slug.
(d) A beetle.
3. What location did Mawi's father leave once the armies began coming too often?
4. In "Days of Mischief," what did the villagers of Sudan build for the annual celebration?
(a) A sacrificial altar.
(b) A great pyramid.
(c) A huge bonfire.
(d) A temple.
5. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
(a) His mother.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His school counselor.
(d) The school janitor.
6. What did Haileab regularly have his children get up and do in the mornings?
(b) Play Scrabble.
(d) Wash the car.
7. Where did Haileab work as a janitor in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A dentist's office.
(b) An office building.
(c) A sports stadium.
(d) The college.
8. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
(a) He was hit by a drunk driver.
(b) He fell down a flight of stairs.
(c) He was shot while jogging.
(d) He had a brain aneurysm.
9. A teacher helped Tewolde start his own business by teaching him how to ________________.
(a) Market himself.
(b) His taxes.
(c) Use logic.
(d) Focus on one thing.
10. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
(a) "Developing heart."
(b) "Full stomach."
(c) "Eagle vision."
(d) "Howls like wolf."
11. What month was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
12. Where did Mawi's father work while they were refugees awaiting immigration to America?
(a) The United Nations.
(b) The Presbyterian Ministry.
(c) The Swedish Ministry clinic.
(d) The Red Cross.
13. Who offered Mawi a full-tuition scholarship?
(a) Wayne State University.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) The University of Michigan.
(d) Oxford University.
14. Haileab earned further education and became what as opposed to a full-fledged doctor?
(a) An MRI technician.
(b) A phlebotomy technician.
(c) An advanced dresser.
(d) An X-Ray technician.
15. How old was Tewolde when he started his own business?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Tewolde when the author describes him undergoing a personal transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
2. What refers to an elaborate and complex social system that combines elements of endogamy, occupation, culture, social class, tribal affiliation, and political power?
3. What profession did Haileab have in Africa?
4. Mawi describes admiring and wanting to be like whom in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
5. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)