|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
(a) His mother.
(b) The school janitor.
(c) His school counselor.
(d) His best friend.
2. What did Haileab do with the debris after cleaning up his new neighborhood?
(a) Burned it.
(b) Put it in the trash.
(c) Took it to the landfill.
(d) Dumped it in the river.
3. What is the official name for the largest Christian church in Egypt and the Middle East?
(a) The Roman Orthodox Church.
(b) The Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria.
(c) The Orthodox Church of the Nazarene.
(d) The Roman Catholic Church.
4. Mawi's brother was killed during what holiday break?
(b) Summer break.
5. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
(a) Wrote letters to his parents.
(b) Gave him money.
(c) Bumped his grades up.
(d) Tutored him after school.
6. How old was Tewolde when the author describes him undergoing a personal transformation in "Libee Migbar"?
7. For how long was Mawi separated from his father while in Africa during his childhood?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 2 weeks.
8. Where did Mawi and Tewolde take their second job?
(a) A cleaning service.
(b) A movie theatre.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A dog groomer.
9. In what year was Haileab born?
10. Mawi's father was so helpful that the rebels wanted him to do what for them, as described in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Be a captain.
(b) Be a spy.
(c) Be a healer.
(d) Be a soldier.
11. What did Tewolde help the man whom he had taken the weight bench from find?
(a) A bank to rob.
(b) Housing and a job.
(c) His parents.
(d) His wife and children.
12. Tewolde wanted to clean windows at what building?
(a) The church.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The library.
(d) The candy store.
13. What job did Mawi and Tewolde do first in order to make money in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) Drove cabs.
(c) Restructured damaged driveways.
(d) Sorted recycling.
14. What did Mawi become during his senior year?
(a) President of Student Government.
(b) A football star.
(d) A chess champion.
15. Haileab earned further education and became what as opposed to a full-fledged doctor?
(a) An MRI technician.
(b) A phlebotomy technician.
(c) An X-Ray technician.
(d) An advanced dresser.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawi and his brother take a parking meter after knocking it down?
2. What quickly became the favorite American holiday of Mawi and his siblings in "Days of Mischief"?
3. Haileab surmised that if he went by himself to Sudan, the rebels would think he was just going to __________________.
4. What profession did Haileab have in Africa?
5. Where did Haileab work as a janitor in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)