|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Haileab read at the events where hundreds of refugees would gather together in reception hall?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Soccer scores.
(c) The newspaper.
2. For how long was Mawi separated from his father while in Africa during his childhood?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 2 days.
3. Mawi understood that he wanted to take responsibility for his family, and his way to do that was through what means?
(a) Athletic success.
(b) Getting a job.
(c) Academic success.
(d) Marrying into wealth.
4. How was Tewolde killed in his senior year of high school?
(a) He had a brain aneurysm.
(b) He was shot while jogging.
(c) He was hit by a drunk driver.
(d) He fell down a flight of stairs.
5. What did Tewolde help the man whom he had taken the weight bench from find?
(a) Housing and a job.
(b) A bank to rob.
(c) His wife and children.
(d) His parents.
6. Mawi and his brother remembered a story their father had told them about a boy who died for ___________________.
(c) Jay walking.
(d) Not praying.
7. What library did Mawi and his brother often go to in "Libee Migbar"?
(a) The Boston Public Library.
(b) The Wheaton Public Library.
(c) The Harvard Library.
(d) The Philadelphia Public Library.
8. What does "Libee Migbar" mean in English?
(a) "Eagle vision."
(b) "Full stomach."
(c) "Howls like wolf."
(d) "Developing heart."
9. What quickly became the favorite American holiday of Mawi and his siblings in "Days of Mischief"?
(b) Flag Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
10. Where did Mawi's mother send her sons for safekeeping when the armies came close to their home in "Coffee Tales"?
(a) Her brother's home.
(b) Her sister's home.
(c) Her father's home.
(d) Her cousin's home.
11. Who suggested that Mawi apply to an Ivy League college?
(a) His school counselor.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His mother.
(d) The school janitor.
12. What did Mawi become during his senior year?
(a) A chess champion.
(c) President of Student Government.
(d) A football star.
13. What year was it when the author described giving a stranger his lunch at the library?
14. What does the author say his high school teachers did in order to help him achieve success?
(a) Gave him money.
(b) Wrote letters to his parents.
(c) Tutored him after school.
(d) Bumped his grades up.
15. Where did Haileab work as a janitor in America in "The Unmaking of a Man"?
(a) A dentist's office.
(b) A sports stadium.
(c) An office building.
(d) The college.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date was Mawi Asgedom born?
2. Which of the following sports was Mawi involved in during high school?
3. Mawi's brother was killed during what holiday break?
4. What did Mawi ask the universities he applied to to waive in "Eyeing the Mountaintop"?
5. What is the official name for the largest Christian church in Egypt and the Middle East?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)