|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
(a) The Pacific Ocean.
(b) The Indian Ocean.
(c) The Dead Sea.
(d) The Red Sea.
2. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Not retaliate.
(b) Throw rocks.
(c) Get jobs.
(d) Play sports.
3. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
4. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
5. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
6. What was the name of Mawi's father?
7. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
8. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
9. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
(b) Migratory birds.
(c) United Nations rations.
(d) Trapped rats.
10. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
(a) South America.
11. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(c) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
12. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A twenty dollar bill.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) A piece of gum.
13. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
(a) Smile in public.
(b) Take a seat.
(c) Speak when visitors came.
(d) Answer the door.
14. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
(b) Kano, Nigeria.
(c) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(d) Lagos, Nigeria.
15. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
(a) The food.
(b) The water.
(c) The weather.
(d) The language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
2. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
3. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
4. What was the name of the author's older brother?
5. What country borders Eritrea to the west?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)