|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
2. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
3. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
4. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
5. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
(b) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(c) Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
6. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
(a) "We Are the World."
(b) "Bo Diddly."
(c) "I Love You."
(d) "Give Peace a Chance."
7. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A piece of gum.
(c) A twenty dollar bill.
(d) A bottle of whiskey.
8. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
9. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
10. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
(a) Adi Wahla.
11. Mawi recalls how his father was known for his skills at what in "The Camp"?
12. What was the name of the author's older brother?
13. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
14. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
15. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
2. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
3. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
4. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
5. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)