|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
2. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
(a) Migratory birds.
(b) United Nations rations.
(c) Trapped rats.
3. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
4. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
5. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
(c) Church donations.
6. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
7. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Lagos, Nigeria.
(b) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(c) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
(d) Kano, Nigeria.
8. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
9. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
10. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) A dog attacked the bully.
(b) A teacher grabbed him.
(c) Another bully attacked him.
(d) His parents found him.
11. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
12. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
13. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
(a) A wallet.
(b) A pocket watch.
(c) A pocket knife.
(d) An address book.
14. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Gift from God."
(b) "Thank you."
(c) "Little lion."
(d) "Constant focus."
15. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the capital of Eritrea?
2. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
3. Eritrea and Ethiopia had fought a civil war until what year?
4. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
5. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)