|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
(c) Downers Grove.
2. Eritrea and Ethiopia had fought a civil war until what year?
3. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
(c) Adi Wahla.
4. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
(a) Church donations.
5. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
(a) The Horn of Africa.
(b) The Tongue of Africa.
(c) The Hand of Africa.
(d) The Foot of Africa.
6. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
7. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
8. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) U.S. Diplomats.
(b) Mawi's uncle.
(c) World Relief workers.
(d) Christian Scientists.
9. What was the name of Mawi's father?
10. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
(a) The language.
(b) The water.
(c) The weather.
(d) The food.
11. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
12. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
13. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Roger Botwin.
(b) Mike Thompson.
(c) Bobby Smith.
(d) Jake Evans.
14. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) Sudanese rebel groups.
(b) The Inited Nations.
(c) The Egytian military.
(d) Large predatory animals.
15. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
(a) The Dead Sea.
(b) The Indian Ocean.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The Red Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
2. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
3. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
4. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
5. What animals does the author remember shrieking in the beginning of "Memories"?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)