|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
2. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
3. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
4. What is the capital of Eritrea?
(d) Adi Wahla.
5. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
6. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
(a) South America.
7. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
8. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
9. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Constant focus."
(b) "Little lion."
(c) "Gift from God."
(d) "Thank you."
10. What was the name of Mawi's father?
11. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
(a) The weather.
(b) The food.
(c) The water.
(d) The language.
12. Mawi recalls how his father was known for his skills at what in "The Camp"?
13. What refers to extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development?
(a) Street fighting.
(b) Martial arts.
(c) Mud wrestling.
(d) Kick boxing.
14. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(a) Native clothing.
(b) Extended visas.
(c) Native food.
15. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
2. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
3. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
4. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
5. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)