|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the author's older brother?
2. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
3. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Gift from God."
(b) "Little lion."
(c) "Thank you."
(d) "Constant focus."
4. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Bobby Smith.
(b) Roger Botwin.
(c) Mike Thompson.
(d) Jake Evans.
5. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(b) The Liberian liberation movement.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
6. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
(b) Adi Wahla.
7. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The Christian Science Ministry.
(b) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
(c) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(d) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
8. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Pay a fee.
(b) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(c) Take a test.
(d) Learn U.S. history.
9. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
(a) "We Are the World."
(b) "Give Peace a Chance."
(c) "I Love You."
(d) "Bo Diddly."
10. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
(a) Haileab Asgedom.
(b) Mawi Asgedom.
(c) Sela Asgedom.
(d) Lama Asgedom.
11. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
12. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
(a) The Dead Sea.
(b) The Pacific Ocean.
(c) The Indian Ocean.
(d) The Red Sea.
13. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
14. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Kano, Nigeria.
(b) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
(c) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(d) Lagos, Nigeria.
15. Eritrea and Ethiopia had fought a civil war until what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
2. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
3. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
4. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
5. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)