|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
(d) South America.
2. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) Mawi's uncle.
(b) World Relief workers.
(c) Christian Scientists.
(d) U.S. Diplomats.
3. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) Balls of twine.
(d) Knots of old clothes.
4. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
5. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 11 years.
6. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
(b) Lagos, Nigeria.
(c) Kano, Nigeria.
(d) Gonder, Ethiopia.
7. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
8. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
9. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
(a) Haileab Asgedom.
(b) Lama Asgedom.
(c) Mawi Asgedom.
(d) Sela Asgedom.
10. What was the name of the author's older brother?
11. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(b) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
(c) Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
12. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(c) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
13. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) His parents found him.
(b) A dog attacked the bully.
(c) Another bully attacked him.
(d) A teacher grabbed him.
14. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
15. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
Short Answer Questions
1. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
2. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
3. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
4. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
5. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)