|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
2. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
3. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
4. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
5. What is the capital of Eritrea?
(d) Adi Wahla.
6. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
7. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
8. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
(b) United Nations rations.
(c) Migratory birds.
(d) Trapped rats.
9. What Christian organization helped Mawi's family in immigrating in "Coming to America"?
(a) Christian Life Organization.
(b) The Red Cross.
(c) Doctors Without Borders.
(d) World Relief.
10. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
(a) Mawi Asgedom.
(b) Sela Asgedom.
(c) Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Lama Asgedom.
11. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Throw rocks.
(b) Get jobs.
(c) Play sports.
(d) Not retaliate.
12. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
13. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
14. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
15. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
(d) Downers Grove.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his native language, the author's true name means ___________________.
2. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
3. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
4. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
5. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)