|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
2. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
(a) An address book.
(b) A pocket watch.
(c) A wallet.
(d) A pocket knife.
3. What animals does the author remember shrieking in the beginning of "Memories"?
4. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
5. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
(b) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(c) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
(d) The Christian Science Ministry.
6. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
7. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
8. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) His parents found him.
(b) A teacher grabbed him.
(c) A dog attacked the bully.
(d) Another bully attacked him.
9. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
10. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
11. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
12. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
(a) A smaller apartment.
(b) A job for Mawi.
(c) A renter for the upstairs.
(d) An energy efficient car.
13. What refers to extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development?
(a) Kick boxing.
(b) Mud wrestling.
(c) Street fighting.
(d) Martial arts.
14. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Take a test.
(b) Learn U.S. history.
(c) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(d) Pay a fee.
15. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
(c) Adi Wahla.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
2. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
3. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
4. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
5. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)