|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
2. What was the name of Mawi's father?
3. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) The Egytian military.
(b) Large predatory animals.
(c) The Inited Nations.
(d) Sudanese rebel groups.
4. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(b) The Christian Science Ministry.
(c) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
(d) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
5. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
6. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
7. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
8. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(b) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
(c) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Haileab Asgedom.
9. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) A dog attacked the bully.
(b) His parents found him.
(c) Another bully attacked him.
(d) A teacher grabbed him.
10. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
(a) The language.
(b) The weather.
(c) The food.
(d) The water.
11. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) Christian Scientists.
(b) Mawi's uncle.
(c) U.S. Diplomats.
(d) World Relief workers.
12. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
13. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Lagos, Nigeria.
(b) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(c) Kano, Nigeria.
(d) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
14. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
(a) A renter for the upstairs.
(b) An energy efficient car.
(c) A smaller apartment.
(d) A job for Mawi.
15. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Pay a fee.
(b) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(c) Take a test.
(d) Learn U.S. history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the author's older brother?
2. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
3. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
4. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
5. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)