|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) The Egytian military.
(b) Large predatory animals.
(c) Sudanese rebel groups.
(d) The Inited Nations.
2. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A bottle of whiskey.
(c) A twenty dollar bill.
(d) A piece of gum.
3. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
4. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(b) The Liberian liberation movement.
(c) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
(d) The United Nations.
5. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
6. What is the capital of Eritrea?
(a) Adi Wahla.
7. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
8. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
9. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(b) Haileab Asgedom.
(c) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
(d) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
10. Mawi recalls how his father was known for his skills at what in "The Camp"?
11. What was the name of Mawi's father?
12. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(b) Native food.
(c) Native clothing.
(d) Extended visas.
13. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
14. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
(d) Adi Wahla.
15. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Throw rocks.
(b) Get jobs.
(c) Play sports.
(d) Not retaliate.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
2. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
3. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
4. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
5. What was the name of the author's older brother?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)