|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
2. What was the name of the author's older brother?
3. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A piece of gum.
(c) A twenty dollar bill.
(d) A bottle of whiskey.
4. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
5. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
6. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
7. What refers to extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development?
(a) Mud wrestling.
(b) Street fighting.
(c) Kick boxing.
(d) Martial arts.
8. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
(b) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
(c) Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
9. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Get jobs.
(b) Not retaliate.
(c) Throw rocks.
(d) Play sports.
10. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
(a) The Foot of Africa.
(b) The Tongue of Africa.
(c) The Horn of Africa.
(d) The Hand of Africa.
11. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(a) Extended visas.
(b) Native clothing.
(d) Native food.
12. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
13. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) Mawi's uncle.
(b) Christian Scientists.
(c) World Relief workers.
(d) U.S. Diplomats.
14. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
15. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
2. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
3. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
4. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
5. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)