|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
2. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(b) Pay a fee.
(c) Take a test.
(d) Learn U.S. history.
3. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) Large predatory animals.
(b) Sudanese rebel groups.
(c) The Egytian military.
(d) The Inited Nations.
4. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
5. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
6. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
7. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The United Nations.
(b) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(c) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
(d) The Liberian liberation movement.
8. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Red Sea.
(c) The Dead Sea.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
9. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
(a) "Bo Diddly."
(b) "I Love You."
(c) "Give Peace a Chance."
(d) "We Are the World."
10. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
11. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) A twenty dollar bill.
(b) A piece of gum.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) A new shirt.
12. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
13. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
14. What country borders Eritrea to the west?
15. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
2. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
3. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
4. What animals does the author remember shrieking in the beginning of "Memories"?
5. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)