|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) Balls of twine.
(c) Knots of old clothes.
2. What Christian organization helped Mawi's family in immigrating in "Coming to America"?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) Christian Life Organization.
(c) Doctors Without Borders.
(d) World Relief.
3. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
(a) Adi Wahla.
4. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Thank you."
(b) "Constant focus."
(c) "Gift from God."
(d) "Little lion."
5. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
(a) An energy efficient car.
(b) A job for Mawi.
(c) A renter for the upstairs.
(d) A smaller apartment.
6. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(b) Extended visas.
(c) Native clothing.
(d) Native food.
7. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) A dog attacked the bully.
(b) Another bully attacked him.
(c) A teacher grabbed him.
(d) His parents found him.
8. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
9. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
10. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Haileab Asgedom.
(b) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
(c) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(d) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
11. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
12. What was the name of the author's older brother?
13. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
(a) Church donations.
14. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
15. Eritrea and Ethiopia had fought a civil war until what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
2. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
3. What refers to extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development?
4. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
5. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)