|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
(a) An address book.
(b) A pocket knife.
(c) A wallet.
(d) A pocket watch.
2. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
3. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
4. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
5. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
(a) Downers Grove.
6. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
7. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
8. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
(b) Balls of twine.
(c) Knots of old clothes.
9. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(a) Native food.
(c) Native clothing.
(d) Extended visas.
10. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
11. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(b) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
(c) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
(d) The Christian Science Ministry.
12. What was the name of Mawi's father?
13. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
(a) The Hand of Africa.
(b) The Tongue of Africa.
(c) The Horn of Africa.
(d) The Foot of Africa.
14. What Christian organization helped Mawi's family in immigrating in "Coming to America"?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) World Relief.
(c) Doctors Without Borders.
(d) Christian Life Organization.
15. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
(c) Adi Wahla.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
2. What was the name of the author's older brother?
3. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
4. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
5. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)