|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Little lion."
(b) "Thank you."
(c) "Constant focus."
(d) "Gift from God."
2. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
3. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Adi Wahla.
4. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
5. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
(a) South America.
6. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Jake Evans.
(b) Mike Thompson.
(c) Bobby Smith.
(d) Roger Botwin.
7. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) The Egytian military.
(b) Sudanese rebel groups.
(c) The Inited Nations.
(d) Large predatory animals.
8. What was the name of the author's older brother?
9. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
10. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
(a) Lama Asgedom.
(b) Mawi Asgedom.
(c) Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Sela Asgedom.
11. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
12. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Learn U.S. history.
(b) Pay a fee.
(c) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(d) Take a test.
13. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Kano, Nigeria.
(b) Lagos, Nigeria.
(c) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(d) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
14. What country borders Eritrea to the west?
15. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
(b) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(c) Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
2. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
3. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
4. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
5. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)