|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
(a) Take a seat.
(b) Speak when visitors came.
(c) Smile in public.
(d) Answer the door.
2. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Get jobs.
(b) Not retaliate.
(c) Play sports.
(d) Throw rocks.
3. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
4. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
5. What was the name of the author's older brother?
6. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
7. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
8. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Liberian liberation movement.
(b) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
(c) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(d) The United Nations.
9. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
10. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) A teacher grabbed him.
(b) Another bully attacked him.
(c) A dog attacked the bully.
(d) His parents found him.
11. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
12. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
(b) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(c) The Christian Science Ministry.
(d) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
13. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
14. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
15. Eritrea and Ethiopia had fought a civil war until what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
2. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
3. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
4. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
5. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)