|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi recalls how his father was known for his skills at what in "The Camp"?
2. What Christian organization helped Mawi's family in immigrating in "Coming to America"?
(a) World Relief.
(b) Doctors Without Borders.
(c) Christian Life Organization.
(d) The Red Cross.
3. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
4. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
5. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Throw rocks.
(b) Get jobs.
(c) Play sports.
(d) Not retaliate.
6. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A twenty dollar bill.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) A piece of gum.
7. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
(a) The Pacific Ocean.
(b) The Dead Sea.
(c) The Red Sea.
(d) The Indian Ocean.
8. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
(c) South America.
9. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) Another bully attacked him.
(b) A dog attacked the bully.
(c) His parents found him.
(d) A teacher grabbed him.
10. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Jake Evans.
(b) Mike Thompson.
(c) Bobby Smith.
(d) Roger Botwin.
11. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
12. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(a) Native food.
(b) Extended visas.
(c) Native clothing.
13. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
14. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
15. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
(b) Downers Grove.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
2. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
3. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
4. What country borders Eritrea to the west?
5. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)