|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Little lion."
(b) "Thank you."
(c) "Gift from God."
(d) "Constant focus."
2. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
3. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
(a) The Tongue of Africa.
(b) The Foot of Africa.
(c) The Hand of Africa.
(d) The Horn of Africa.
4. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
5. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) U.S. Diplomats.
(b) Mawi's uncle.
(c) Christian Scientists.
(d) World Relief workers.
6. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
7. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
8. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
9. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
10. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
(a) A job for Mawi.
(b) An energy efficient car.
(c) A smaller apartment.
(d) A renter for the upstairs.
11. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Lagos, Nigeria.
(b) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
(c) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(d) Kano, Nigeria.
12. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) The Inited Nations.
(b) Large predatory animals.
(c) The Egytian military.
(d) Sudanese rebel groups.
13. What was the name of the author's older brother?
14. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
15. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
2. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
3. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
4. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
5. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)