|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Mawi's father?
2. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(a) Native clothing.
(c) Native food.
(d) Extended visas.
3. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Jake Evans.
(b) Roger Botwin.
(c) Mike Thompson.
(d) Bobby Smith.
4. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
5. What is the capital of Eritrea?
(b) Adi Wahla.
6. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Get jobs.
(b) Not retaliate.
(c) Throw rocks.
(d) Play sports.
7. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
(d) Church donations.
8. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
9. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
10. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
(a) 4 years.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 11 years.
11. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
12. What Christian organization helped Mawi's family in immigrating in "Coming to America"?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) Christian Life Organization.
(c) Doctors Without Borders.
(d) World Relief.
13. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) Mawi's uncle.
(b) Christian Scientists.
(c) U.S. Diplomats.
(d) World Relief workers.
14. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(c) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
15. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
(a) Sela Asgedom.
(b) Haileab Asgedom.
(c) Mawi Asgedom.
(d) Lama Asgedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
2. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
3. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
4. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
5. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)