|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) The Egytian military.
(b) Large predatory animals.
(c) Sudanese rebel groups.
(d) The Inited Nations.
2. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
(a) An energy efficient car.
(b) A smaller apartment.
(c) A renter for the upstairs.
(d) A job for Mawi.
3. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
4. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) A teacher grabbed him.
(b) Another bully attacked him.
(c) A dog attacked the bully.
(d) His parents found him.
5. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
6. What was the name of Mawi's father?
7. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
(d) Adi Wahla.
8. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
9. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
10. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
11. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(a) Native food.
(c) Extended visas.
(d) Native clothing.
12. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(a) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
13. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
14. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
15. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Constant focus."
(b) "Gift from God."
(c) "Thank you."
(d) "Little lion."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
2. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
3. What is the capital of Eritrea?
4. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
5. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)