|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the woman who helped Mawi's family find a sponsor in the area in "A New Life"?
2. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
3. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
4. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
5. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
6. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
7. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
8. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Throw rocks.
(b) Get jobs.
(c) Play sports.
(d) Not retaliate.
9. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
10. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Mike Thompson.
(b) Bobby Smith.
(c) Jake Evans.
(d) Roger Botwin.
11. Eritrea and Ethiopia had fought a civil war until what year?
12. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
13. Mawi's father took in a homeless man and helped him. What did the man give him in return when he departed in "God's Angels"?
(a) An address book.
(b) A wallet.
(c) A pocket watch.
(d) A pocket knife.
14. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Take a test.
(b) Pay a fee.
(c) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(d) Learn U.S. history.
15. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
2. What upper middle class community did Mawi's family move to upon finding a sponsor in "A New Life"?
3. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
4. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
5. What country borders Eritrea to the west?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)