|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
2. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
3. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Jake Evans.
(b) Mike Thompson.
(c) Bobby Smith.
(d) Roger Botwin.
4. During what years did Mawi's family remain living in the refugee camp in "The Camp"?
5. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
6. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Gift from God."
(b) "Little lion."
(c) "Constant focus."
(d) "Thank you."
7. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
8. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Haileab Asgedom.
(b) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(c) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
(d) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
9. Mawi's father told his children that they should always treat _________________well because they could turn out to be angels.
10. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
(a) A job for Mawi.
(b) A smaller apartment.
(c) An energy efficient car.
(d) A renter for the upstairs.
11. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) Balls of twine.
(d) Knots of old clothes.
12. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
(b) Kano, Nigeria.
(c) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(d) Lagos, Nigeria.
13. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(b) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
14. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
15. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The United Nations.
(b) The Liberian liberation movement.
(c) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
(d) The Sudanese Republican Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
2. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
3. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
4. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
5. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)