|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
2. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
3. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
4. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) A piece of gum.
(b) A twenty dollar bill.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) A new shirt.
5. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Gift from God."
(b) "Thank you."
(c) "Constant focus."
(d) "Little lion."
6. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
7. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Play sports.
(b) Not retaliate.
(c) Get jobs.
(d) Throw rocks.
8. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) Knots of old clothes.
(d) Balls of twine.
9. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(b) Extended visas.
(c) Native clothing.
(d) Native food.
10. What was the name of Mawi's father?
11. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
12. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
13. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Adi Wahla.
14. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
(b) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(c) Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
15. When Mawi's brother was about to be attacked by a bully with a switchblade in "Playground Warfare," a van appeared carrying how many large black men?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
2. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
3. What refers to extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development?
4. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
5. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)