|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals does the author remember shrieking in the beginning of "Memories"?
2. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Pay a fee.
(b) Learn U.S. history.
(c) Take a test.
(d) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
3. What country borders Eritrea to the southeast?
4. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
5. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
6. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
7. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Constant focus."
(b) "Thank you."
(c) "Gift from God."
(d) "Little lion."
8. What was the name of Mawi's father?
9. In his native language, the author's true name means ___________________.
(a) "Peaceful power from above to make others kneel before him."
(b) "Light of dawn."
(c) "The strength to swim upstream."
(d) "Celestial wizard."
10. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
(a) United Nations rations.
(c) Migratory birds.
(d) Trapped rats.
11. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
12. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Haileab Asgedom.
(b) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
(c) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
13. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
14. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(b) The Liberian liberation movement.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
15. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) Mawi's uncle.
(b) World Relief workers.
(c) U.S. Diplomats.
(d) Christian Scientists.
Short Answer Questions
1. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
2. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
3. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
4. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
5. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)