|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country borders Eritrea to the west?
2. What refers to extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development?
(a) Martial arts.
(b) Mud wrestling.
(c) Street fighting.
(d) Kick boxing.
3. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
4. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
(a) Mawi Asgedom.
(b) Lama Asgedom.
(c) Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Sela Asgedom.
5. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Take a test.
(b) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(c) Learn U.S. history.
(d) Pay a fee.
6. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
(a) Migratory birds.
(b) Trapped rats.
(d) United Nations rations.
7. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
8. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
9. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Liberian liberation movement.
(b) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
10. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
11. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
12. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
13. What is the name of the church that agreed to sponsor Mawi's family in "A New Life"?
(a) The Bethel Presbyterian Church.
(b) The First Methodist Church of Harlem.
(c) The Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
(d) The Christian Science Ministry.
14. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(b) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
(c) Lagos, Nigeria.
(d) Kano, Nigeria.
15. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) A dog attacked the bully.
(b) A teacher grabbed him.
(c) His parents found him.
(d) Another bully attacked him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his native language, the author's true name means ___________________.
2. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
3. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
4. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
5. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)