|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Throw rocks.
(b) Get jobs.
(c) Not retaliate.
(d) Play sports.
2. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
(a) Migratory birds.
(b) United Nations rations.
(c) Trapped rats.
3. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) Sudanese rebel groups.
(b) Large predatory animals.
(c) The Egytian military.
(d) The Inited Nations.
4. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
5. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
6. What was the name of the author's older brother?
7. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
(a) Selamawi Haileab Asgedom.
(b) Haileab Hntsa-Eyesus Asgedom.
(c) Haileab Asgedom.
(d) Hntsa-Eyesus Selamawi.
8. How old was Mawi's older brother when his family departed across the desert as refugees in "Memories"?
9. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
(a) The Pacific Ocean.
(b) The Dead Sea.
(c) The Indian Ocean.
(d) The Red Sea.
10. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
11. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
(a) The language.
(b) The weather.
(c) The water.
(d) The food.
12. What is the capital of Eritrea?
(a) Adi Wahla.
13. For the first two weeks that Mawai's family lived in the United States, they shared a two bedroom hotel room in what city?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
14. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Liberian liberation movement.
(b) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(c) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
(d) The United Nations.
15. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
(a) Church donations.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
2. What was the name of Mawi's father?
3. Eritrea and Ethiopia had fought a civil war until what year?
4. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
5. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)