|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Learn U.S. history.
(b) Pay a fee.
(c) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(d) Take a test.
2. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
3. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
4. What was the name of Mawi's half-sister who joined his family in immigrating to America?
5. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
6. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
7. What was the name of Mawi's mother?
8. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
(a) Trapped rats.
(c) Migratory birds.
(d) United Nations rations.
9. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
10. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
(a) A smaller apartment.
(b) A job for Mawi.
(c) An energy efficient car.
(d) A renter for the upstairs.
11. In addition to disease and violence, Mawi's family also had to worry about _________ in "The Camp."
(a) The Inited Nations.
(b) The Egytian military.
(c) Large predatory animals.
(d) Sudanese rebel groups.
12. What country borders Eritrea to the west?
13. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Constant focus."
(b) "Thank you."
(c) "Gift from God."
(d) "Little lion."
14. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) Mawi's uncle.
(b) World Relief workers.
(c) Christian Scientists.
(d) U.S. Diplomats.
15. In their leisure time, Mawi and his brother would go hunting with what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
2. Eritrea has an extensive coastline along what body of water?
3. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
4. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
5. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)