|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) Christian Scientists.
(b) Mawi's uncle.
(c) World Relief workers.
(d) U.S. Diplomats.
2. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
3. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
4. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
5. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
6. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
(b) The Liberian liberation movement.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The Sudanese Republican Army.
7. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Thank you."
(b) "Constant focus."
(c) "Gift from God."
(d) "Little lion."
8. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
9. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
10. In his native language, the author's true name means ___________________.
(a) "The strength to swim upstream."
(b) "Light of dawn."
(c) "Celestial wizard."
(d) "Peaceful power from above to make others kneel before him."
11. What was the name of Mawi's father?
12. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Mike Thompson.
(b) Jake Evans.
(c) Roger Botwin.
(d) Bobby Smith.
13. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
14. In the Author's Note, he states that since he came to the United States, he became known by what name?
(a) Haileab Asgedom.
(b) Sela Asgedom.
(c) Mawi Asgedom.
(d) Lama Asgedom.
15. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(a) Extended visas.
(b) Native food.
(d) Native clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
2. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
3. Where was Mawi's little brother conceived?
4. What Christian organization helped Mawi's family in immigrating in "Coming to America"?
5. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)