|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
(a) The Ethiopian liberation movement.
(b) The Sudanese Republican Army.
(c) The Liberian liberation movement.
(d) The United Nations.
2. What disease had Mawi's father contracted in "A New Life"?
3. When the principal sent home a note saying that the boys might be expelled, what did Mawi's father tell them to do?
(a) Play sports.
(b) Not retaliate.
(c) Throw rocks.
(d) Get jobs.
4. What did Mawi's family miss the most about their homeland in "A New Life"?
(a) The food.
(b) The water.
(c) The weather.
(d) The language.
5. Where did Mawi's mother take him and his siblings to find their father in "Memories"?
6. What job did Mawi's father take upon moving to the United States?
7. Frank and Mbago were brothers from _______________.
8. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
9. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
(a) "We Are the World."
(b) "Give Peace a Chance."
(c) "Bo Diddly."
(d) "I Love You."
10. How much older was Tewolde than Mawi?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 11 years.
(d) 4 years.
11. What Christian organization helped Mawi's family in immigrating in "Coming to America"?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) Christian Life Organization.
(c) Doctors Without Borders.
(d) World Relief.
12. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Bobby Smith.
(b) Roger Botwin.
(c) Jake Evans.
(d) Mike Thompson.
13. Where did Mawi's family have a house before they left to become refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Kano, Nigeria.
(b) Gonder, Ethiopia.
(c) Lagos, Nigeria.
(d) Adi Wahla, Ethiopia.
14. When they were still in elementary school, Mawi's brother told him stories about five brothers from where?
15. What does the author describe his father having a fear of and the destructive power behind them in "A New Life"?
Short Answer Questions
1. To make ends meet, Mawi's family found ____________ in "A New Life."
2. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
3. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
4. What was the name of the author's older brother?
5. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)