|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to extensive systems of codified practices and traditions of combat, practiced for a variety of reasons, including self-defense, competition, physical health and fitness, as well as mental and spiritual development?
(a) Street fighting.
(b) Kick boxing.
(c) Martial arts.
(d) Mud wrestling.
2. How many stories was the house that Mawi's family moved into in "A New Life"?
3. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Jake Evans.
(b) Mike Thompson.
(c) Bobby Smith.
(d) Roger Botwin.
4. What was the name of Mawi's father?
5. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A piece of gum.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) A twenty dollar bill.
6. Eritrea became an independent nation in what year?
7. What place did Mawi's father tell his family was the land of paradise in "The Camp"?
(b) South America.
8. What is the name of Mawi's little brother who was born in "A New Life"?
9. What animals does the author remember shrieking in the beginning of "Memories"?
10. What does the author remember playing soccer with in his homeland in "Memories"?
(c) Knots of old clothes.
(d) Balls of twine.
11. What country borders Eritrea to the south?
12. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
13. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
(b) Adi Wahla.
14. Where did Mawi's mother come from?
15. Eritrea and Ethiopia had fought a civil war until what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
2. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
3. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
4. What was the name of the woman who would take the children to the college to play soccer and play on the playground in "God's Angels"?
5. What was Mawi's father's homeland?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)