|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author describes a visit from two people from their country who brought the family ______________.
(a) Native food.
(b) Native clothing.
(d) Extended visas.
2. In "The Camp," Mawi was attacked by a bully and his brother came to his rescue, but even before his brother could reach him, what happened?
(a) Another bully attacked him.
(b) A dog attacked the bully.
(c) His parents found him.
(d) A teacher grabbed him.
3. With what song would bullies serenade Mehret?
(a) "Give Peace a Chance."
(b) "Bo Diddly."
(c) "We Are the World."
(d) "I Love You."
4. What did the stranger bribe Mawi's older brother with in order to convince him to leave his homeland in "Memories"?
(a) A piece of gum.
(b) A twenty dollar bill.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) A new shirt.
5. According to Mawi's father, angels often appeared in what form?
6. Mawi's family was first cleared to go to the United States in what year?
7. Who met Mawi's family at the airport upon their arrival in the United States in "A New Life"?
(a) U.S. Diplomats.
(b) Mawi's uncle.
(c) World Relief workers.
(d) Christian Scientists.
8. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
(b) Adi Wahla.
9. Mawi's little brother was given a name which meant ___________ in English.
(a) "Gift from God."
(b) "Constant focus."
(c) "Thank you."
(d) "Little lion."
10. What city did Mawi's family find across the border to be filled with disease and refugees in "Memories"?
(a) Adi Wahla.
11. What was the name of Mawi's younger sister?
12. What would bullies draw over Mehret's locker in "Playground Warfare"?
13. Mawi's parents stressed the importance of education, knowing that ____________ would be the only way they could afford college in "Playground Warfare."
(c) Church donations.
14. What was the name of the bully who decided to go after Mawi's brother?
(a) Mike Thompson.
(b) Bobby Smith.
(c) Jake Evans.
(d) Roger Botwin.
15. Along with their small gardens and healthcare from the Swedish Ministry, on what did Mawi's family survive in "The Camp"?
(b) Trapped rats.
(c) Migratory birds.
(d) United Nations rations.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mawi when his mother took him and his siblings to become refugees in "Memories"?
2. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
3. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
4. The bully who stole Mawi's bird in "The Camp" later had to join what, where he became one of the "list of senseless casualties"?
5. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)