|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A New Life - Playground Warfare.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the author's older brother?
2. Before a family could immigrate to the United States, they needed to do what in "Coming to America"?
(a) Recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
(b) Take a test.
(c) Learn U.S. history.
(d) Pay a fee.
3. What name refers to a peninsula in East Africa that juts hundreds of kilometers into the Arabian Sea and lies along the southern side of the Gulf of Aden?
(a) The Tongue of Africa.
(b) The Foot of Africa.
(c) The Horn of Africa.
(d) The Hand of Africa.
4. When a bully came after Mawi and pressed them into a fence, who came to his aid?
5. The transition to America was particularly difficult for Mawi's mother who thought that, by culture, she was not supposed to do what?
(a) Speak when visitors came.
(b) Answer the door.
(c) Take a seat.
(d) Smile in public.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Author's Note, he states that his true name was what?
2. Through television, Mawi's family discovered that Americans were very concerned with cleanliness and ___________.
3. Eventually, Mawi started making friends through what game in "Playground Warfare"?
4. After reuniting with his father, Mawi and his family found safety at a refugee camp in ___________.
5. What animals does the author remember shrieking in the beginning of "Memories"?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)