* In the Author's note, Asgedom writes that since the author came to the United States, he became known by the name Mawi Asgedom.
* However, his true name was Selamawi Haileab Asgedom, which in his native language, means "peaceful power from above to make others kneel before him."
* Asgedom originally came from Eritrea and Ethiopia, which had fought a civil war until 1991; Eritrea became an independent nation in 1993.
* In "Memories," the author remembered the desert and the hyenas, but not much more than that.
* When he was young, Mawi traveled with his mother, his 5-year-old brother, and his baby sister; he was three years old himself.
* They were trying to make it to Sudan where they would meet up with his father; upon arriving in Awad, they found the city packed with others who were refugees.
* In "The Camp," after reuniting with his...
This section contains 2,194 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)