|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
(a) in front of the palace
(b) in a shrine
(c) at the oracle
(d) in the forest
2. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) derisive and snide
(b) angry and ironic
(c) defensive and annoyed
(d) deferential and complimentary
3. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(b) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(c) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(d) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
4. What does Oedipus pray for his daughters?
(a) that they forget they ever had a father and think themselves born from the sea
(b) that they live their destined lives more happily than he has
(c) that they hold on to each other against the cruelty of the world
(d) that they die young so that they see less sorrow
5. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon deny that he has a desire to do?
2. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
3. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
4. What does the messenger ask the chorus when he first arrives?
5. Does the messenger identify the shepherd as the man he mentioned earlier?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)