|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
(b) the chorus
(c) the messenger
2. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) They were all killed.
(b) The king was alone.
(c) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(d) They all ran away.
3. What does Creon ask Oedipus' servants to do when he approaches Oedipus outside the palace?
(a) bring him Jocasta's body
(b) kill Oedipus out of mercy
(c) kill Oedipus out of vengeance
(d) take Oedipus away, inside the palace
4. What reason does Oedipus shout as he pokes out his own eyes?
(a) He no longer wants his eyes to see the atrocities of his life.
(b) He no longer wants to look upon the world the gods made.
(c) He no longer deserves to see beauty in the world.
(d) He wants his vision to be as dark as his soul.
5. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
(b) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
(c) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
(d) No, he has never seen the old man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
2. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
3. What does the chorus want to know from Oedipus when he emerges from the palace?
4. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
5. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)