|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
(b) the messenger
(c) the chorus leader
2. Does Oedipus believe in life after death?
(a) No, he believes that Jocasta no longer exists on heaven or Earth.
(b) Yes, he says he does not want to see his father in the afterlife.
(c) He denies that he does, but he seems afraid of what might await him if he's wrong.
(d) Yes, he is eager to ask forgiveness of his father in the afterlife.
3. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
(a) a dictate from a god
(b) financial help from Thebes
(c) a promise of reward from Corinth
(d) a dictate from a prophet
4. What does Oedipus pray for his daughters?
(a) that they forget they ever had a father and think themselves born from the sea
(b) that they live their destined lives more happily than he has
(c) that they die young so that they see less sorrow
(d) that they hold on to each other against the cruelty of the world
5. What does Oedipus suggest the people of Thebes might do to him, as alternatives to sending him out of Thebes?
(a) shackle him in the castle to await a judgment
(b) take him bodily to Hades
(c) slaughter him or throw him in the sea
(d) bring him to Olympus to be judged
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Creon ask Oedipus' servants to do when he approaches Oedipus outside the palace?
2. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
3. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
4. When Oedipus was rushing around the palace in agony after finding out the truth about himself, what did he ask his servants for?
5. How has Teiresias' pronouncement made the chorus feel?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)