|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
(a) talk or gossip about the murder
(b) shelter, talk, or consort with the murderer
(c) leave the town until the murderer is found
(d) pray to any god but Apollo until the murderer is found
2. What was the messenger's profession when he found the infant Oedipus?
3. What does Jocasta ask Oedipus to do regarding her brother?
(a) hold Creon in prison until he can discover the truth
(b) send Creon away instead of killing him
(c) make her responsible for Creon
(d) trust that Creon is telling the truth
4. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(b) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(c) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(d) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
5. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
(a) He'll die.
(b) He'll be cursed by Apollo.
(c) He'll be cast from the kingdom.
(d) He'll be outcast among the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the messenger find the infant Oedipus?
2. How does the second messenger say Jocasta died, when the chorus leader questions him?
3. When Oedipus was rushing around the palace in agony after finding out the truth about himself, what did he ask his servants for?
4. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
5. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)