|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
(a) the local prophet
(b) a stranger passng through the town
(c) his cousin, son of his mother's sister
(d) a drunk man at a dinner
2. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
(a) He knows the truth, but the gods have told him not to say.
(b) He doesn't want to cause them both grief.
(c) He isn't sure about what he knows.
(d) He does not believe his own visions.
3. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a lone traveller
(b) a man with the power of a god
(c) a band of soldiers
(d) a gang of robbers
4. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether Oedipus killed Laius
(b) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
(c) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
(d) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
5. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
(a) Oedipus is a fool not to listen to human prophets.
(b) Human prophets are the voices of gods.
(c) Some human prophets are true and some are false.
(d) No human is skilled in prophecy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
2. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
3. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
4. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
5. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)