|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Oedipus ask to be taken?
(a) away from Thebes
(b) to the oracle
(c) to Teiresias
(d) back to Corinth
2. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
(a) It's impossible to tell if human prophets have real knowledge beyond the everyday.
(b) Human prophets are always wrong.
(c) Human prophets have human motivations.
(d) Human prophets are the same as the gods and priests.
3. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that life is a riddle
(b) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
(c) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
(d) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
4. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
(a) Teiresias changes his prophesies from one day to the next.
(b) Teiresias's prophecies conflict with the oracle.
(c) Teiresias is only faking blindness.
(d) Teiresias did not answer the Sphinx's riddle.
5. What city was the father who raised Oedipus from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Oedipus calls himself the mortal man that the gods...
2. What does Oedipus say about the fact that Laius' death wasn't looked into before?
3. As the second messenger prefaces his news, what does he say brings us the most pain?
4. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
5. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)