|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
(a) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no wish to repeat the prophecy, or think about it.
(b) Oedipus tells the messenger to ask the prophet about it.
(c) Oedipus tells the messenger the prophecy.
(d) Oedipus tells the messenger he has no right to know the prophecy.
2. Oedipus calls himself the mortal man that the gods...
(a) love to torture
(b) despise the most
(c) should kill to end his misery
(d) laugh at in his folly
3. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
(b) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
(c) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
(d) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
4. What is Oedipus' attitude when he emerges from the castle?
5. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(b) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
(c) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
(d) That Oedipus has two fathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
2. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
3. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
4. Who asks the old shepherd whether he gave an infant baby to the messenger years ago?
5. Who does Oedipus accuse Teiresias of being in league with?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)