|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(b) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(c) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(d) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
2. When Creon turns the tables and begins questioning Oedipus, what is the first question he asks?
(a) whether Oedipus is married to Creon's sister
(b) whether Oedipus killed Laius
(c) whether there is some unknown explanation for Teiresias's information
(d) whether the townspeople believe Oedipus is guilty
3. Where does Jocasta say that Laius was murdered?
(a) where two roads cross a stream
(b) where three roads meet
(c) at the kingdom's border
(d) where the flatlands begin to become steep
4. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) an ocean
(b) a mountain
(c) a forest
(d) a desert
5. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
(a) because he believes Teiresias is Creon's pawn
(b) because of Teiresias's stature in the community
(c) because of Teiresias' age
(d) because clearly no one will believe Teiresias
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
2. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
3. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
4. What does Oedipus foresee will happen to his daughters?
5. How many daughters does Oedipus have?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)