|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(b) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(c) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(d) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
2. What does Oedipus pray for his daughters?
(a) that they hold on to each other against the cruelty of the world
(b) that they live their destined lives more happily than he has
(c) that they forget they ever had a father and think themselves born from the sea
(d) that they die young so that they see less sorrow
3. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
(a) that he is rich but cannot buy contentment
(b) that he is rich but not in spirit
(c) that he is rich with wealth but not love
(d) that he is rich but will be poor
4. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a roaring lion
(b) a sinister snake
(c) a thundering beast
(d) a fiery god
5. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a laurel wreath
(b) a crown
(c) a chain of daisies
(d) a hood
Short Answer Questions
1. What possible explanation does the chorus leader give for Oedipus' charge against Creon?
2. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
3. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
4. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
5. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)