|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus ask of Creon?
(a) He asks Creon to spare his life.
(b) He asks Creon to forgive him for Jocasta's death.
(c) He asks Creon to banish him.
(d) He asks Creon to kill him.
2. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
(a) Laius was old and bent, but tall.
(b) Laius was skinny and tall and young-looking.
(c) Laius was big and had white hair.
(d) Laius was small with a gray beard.
3. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(b) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(c) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(d) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
4. What does Oedipus ask Creon about Teiresias?
(a) how long Teiresias has lived in Thebes
(b) whether Teiresias makes a profit from the town because of his prophesies
(c) how long Teiresias has been blind
(d) why Teiresias didn't give the identity of Laius' murderer at the time of the death
5. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
(b) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(c) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(d) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
2. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
3. Who does the chorus leader say can rule Thebes when Oedipus is gone?
4. Who does the shepherd say gave him the infant child?
5. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)