|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a chain of daisies
(b) a hood
(c) a laurel wreath
(d) a crown
2. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
3. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
(a) to his mother on the outskirts of Thebes
(b) into the mountains of Thebes
(c) away from both Thebes and Corinth
(d) back to Corinth
4. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
(a) The ire of the city is rising against him.
(b) Zeus' son, Apollo, is against him.
(c) Oedipus is against him.
(d) Teiresias will eventually name him.
5. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
(a) Oedipus offers to banish the murderer instead of killing him.
(b) Oedipus offers to limit the murderer's banishment.
(c) Oedipus offers the murderer a place in Corinth in exchange for banishment from Thebes.
(d) Oedipus offers the murderer his choice of death or banishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
2. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
3. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
4. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
5. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)