|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
(a) in the palace
(b) on the way to visit a nearby shepherd
(c) on an ocean voyage
(d) on the road to Delphi
2. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(b) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(c) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(d) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
3. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
(a) Teiresias changes his prophesies from one day to the next.
(b) Teiresias did not answer the Sphinx's riddle.
(c) Teiresias's prophecies conflict with the oracle.
(d) Teiresias is only faking blindness.
4. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a thundering beast
(b) a roaring lion
(c) a fiery god
(d) a sinister snake
5. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
(a) challenges Oedipus to a fight
(b) flees the city of Thebes
(c) talks to the people of Thebes
(d) makes a counterclaim of treason against Oedipus
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jocasta question the chorus about, after Creon leaves?
2. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
3. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
4. Who accused Oedipus of not being his father's real son?
5. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)