|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
(a) The murderer may seek revenge on Oedipus for trying to find him.
(b) The murderer may want to kill the queen, Laius's wife.
(c) The murderer may flee quietly and leave the town to suffer the gods' wrath.
(d) The murderer may want to kill the new king, too.
2. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
(a) send another emissary to Delphi
(b) look inside his own palace
(c) search every house in the city
(d) consult the prophet Teiresias
3. What does Oedipus say about the fact that Laius' death wasn't looked into before?
(a) Oedipus says the town should have looked into the murder.
(b) Oedipus says he understands that the town had other problems.
(c) Oedipus says that the town is actively covering up the murder.
(d) Oedipus says that the town knew it was bringing tragedy upon itself.
4. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) derisive and snide
(b) angry and ironic
(c) defensive and annoyed
(d) deferential and complimentary
5. What does Teiresias say makes him strong?
(a) his powers
(b) the truth
(d) the gods
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Teiresias say he was "wise enough" to?
2. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
3. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
4. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
5. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)