|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say can validate a man who is true?
(b) the gods
2. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
(a) Oedipus says he'll listen, but he's afraid of Creon's smooth tongue.
(b) Oedipus refuses to listen to anything Creon has to say.
(c) Oedipus says that he'll listen, and he hopes he can trust Creon.
(d) Oedipus is eager to hear Creon's explanation.
3. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's the one they all blame
(b) because he's the first among men
(c) because he's got the power of wealth
(d) because he's a god to the town
4. Why does Oedipus say he must remain afraid?
(a) because his mother is still alive
(b) because the prophets speak for the gods
(c) because they have no proof of what the messenger says
(d) because the prophecy will probably be fulfilled in some surprising way
5. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) his children
(b) the gods' creations
(c) the gods' children
(d) his creations
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Oedipus want to see the person the messenger says gave him the infant Oedipus?
2. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
3. Who does the messenger say gave Oedipus to Polybus?
4. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
5. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)