|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
(a) that the murderer will ignore them
(b) that the murderer will make fun of them
(c) that the murderer will take them seriously
(d) that the murderer will laugh at them
2. What does Oedipus say the chorus' position will result in?
(a) Oedipus' exile or death
(b) destruction of Thebes
(c) war with Corinth
(d) Creon becoming a tyrannt
3. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
(a) It brings no benefits.
(b) It is fleeting and unreliable.
(c) It is a blessing and a curse.
(d) It is misunderstood, even by himself.
4. What does the chorus leader say he does not know about Oedipus'scharges against Creon?
(a) Oedipus's steadiness and state of mind when making the charges
(b) whether Teiresias was there when Oedipus made the charges
(c) whether Creon understand the charges Oedipus made
(d) what charges Oedipus made against Creon
5. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
(b) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(c) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(d) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oedipus' initial reaction when Creon asks to explain himself?
2. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
3. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
4. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
5. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)