|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
(a) a fight between protecting gods
(b) an unavenged murder
(c) an unfulfilled prophecy
(d) a slight to the gods
2. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
3. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
(b) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(c) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
(d) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
4. What does Oedipus seem to think Jocasta is afraid of learning about his birth?
(a) that he's of low social status
(b) that he's Polybus' son after all
(c) that he's older than they believed
(d) that he's not born of natural parents
5. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
(b) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
(c) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
(d) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
2. How does Oedipus react to the chorus' pleas?
3. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
4. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
5. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)