|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
(a) like people in a carriage who see the driver terrified
(b) like children who see their father's fear
(c) like soldiers who see their commander slain
(d) like people on a ship who see the helmsman is afraid
2. What does Creon say Oedipus can do, if he finds proof Creon's lying?
(a) arrest Creon and sentence him to death
(b) kill Creon before his sister's eyes
(c) cut Creon's throat then and there
(d) banish Creon from the kingdom forever
3. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
(a) because clearly no one will believe Teiresias
(b) because he believes Teiresias is Creon's pawn
(c) because of Teiresias' age
(d) because of Teiresias's stature in the community
4. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
(b) no relation
5. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
(a) They were angry, calling it an insult.
(b) They told Oedipus that it was true.
(c) Oedipus's father denied it, but his mother admitted it.
(d) They said it was untrue, but they seemed to be lying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Oedipus angry, when he encountered the stranger's carriage on the road?
2. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
3. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
4. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
5. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)