|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the messenger tell Oedipus he is not Polybus' son?
(a) The messenger wants to frighten Oedipus.
(b) The messenger wants to prove prophecies are meaningless.
(c) The messenger wants to relieve Oedipus's fear.
(d) The messenger wants to stop Oedipus from offending Apollo.
2. Who does the chorus think can help end the conflict between Creon and Oedipus?
(c) the oracle
3. Who first sees the old shepherd approaching?
(c) the messenger
(d) the chorus
4. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(b) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(c) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(d) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
5. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) angry and annoyed
(b) caring and helpful
(c) overjoyed and cheerful
(d) critical and derisive
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old shepherd fear will happen to him if he tells the truth?
2. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
3. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
4. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
5. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)