|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
(b) He is now married to Laius' wife.
(c) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
(d) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
2. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
(a) He asks why Creon looks so strange.
(b) He asks what message the gods sent.
(c) He asks why Creon is so late.
(d) He asks who Creon has spoken to.
3. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) the gods' children
(b) his children
(c) his creations
(d) the gods' creations
4. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) defensive and annoyed
(b) angry and ironic
(c) derisive and snide
(d) deferential and complimentary
5. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
(a) Yes, he identifies the old man of a servant of Laius.
(b) Not at first, but then the old man begins to look familiar.
(c) No, he has never seen the old man.
(d) Yes, but he can't remember who the old man was.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jocasta bring to the shrine of Apollo outside the castle gates?
2. What does Oedipus do when the messenger questions him about the prophecy that drove Oedipus away from his parents?
3. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
4. Who does Jocasta say Laius had with him, as an escort?
5. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)