|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's the first among men
(b) because he's a god to the town
(c) because he's got the power of wealth
(d) because he's the one they all blame
2. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
(a) with fear
(b) with sorrow
3. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(b) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(c) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(d) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
4. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
(b) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
(c) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
(d) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
5. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
(b) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
(c) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
(d) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile does Jocasta use to describe the people of Thebes?
2. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's eyesight?
3. What does Creon accuse Oedipus of?
4. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
5. What does Creon say Oedipus should do to get proof of Creon's innocence?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)