|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus do when the shepherd won't tell about giving away the infant?
(a) Oedipus threatens to banish him from the kingdom.
(b) Oedipus threatens him and asks someone to bind his hands.
(c) Oedipus asks the messenger if he's lying about the incident.
(d) Oedipus offers him money and a comfortable home.
2. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
(a) a mountain
(b) a forest
(c) an ocean
(d) a desert
3. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
(a) They can be stopped but only by Oedipus.
(b) They are for the best.
(c) He cannot change them.
(d) They can be stopped by his silence.
4. What does Oedipus say the killers had to have?
(a) a promise of reward from Corinth
(b) a dictate from a god
(c) financial help from Thebes
(d) a dictate from a prophet
5. What is Jocasta's answer, when Oedipus asks how tall and old Laius was?
(a) Laius was big and had white hair.
(b) Laius was small with a gray beard.
(c) Laius was skinny and tall and young-looking.
(d) Laius was old and bent, but tall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with the approaching shepherd?
2. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
3. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
4. Does the chorus leader recognize the approaching shepherd?
5. What does Jocasta advise Oedipus about his fears?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)