|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jocasta begs him to stop his investigation and runs off, how does Oedipus say he feels about potentially discovering something bad about his natural parents?
(a) Oedipus is not concerned and wants to know his true origin.
(b) Oedipus believes that his natural family will turn out to be even better than his adopted one.
(c) Oedipus is afraid that if he finds out his true heritage, the people may not want him as king.
(d) Oedipus is afraid that he will find out that the prophecy is already fulfilled.
2. What was Oedipus' response to the information he got from the oracle at Delphi, when he asked about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus asked the oracle for more clarity.
(b) Oedipus confined himself to a room in his father's palace.
(c) Oedipus ran away from Corinth.
(d) Oedipus went to ask his parents about it.
3. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
(a) Creon and Jocasta
(b) the gods and the prophets
(c) the land and the god Apollo
(d) himself and the people of Thebes
4. What does Oedipus ask, when Jocasta tells Oedipus the messenger's news?
(a) He asks a servant to bring Creon to him.
(b) He asks the messenger to tell him the news himself.
(c) He asks Jocasta to leave him and go to the palace.
(d) He asks a servant to bring Teiresias to him.
5. Why does Jocasta come to pray to Apollo?
(a) to ask for her own safety
(b) to ask for Oedipus to be banished
(c) to cleanse what is corrupting Thebes
(d) to pray that Oedipus be forgiven
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest call pestilence?
2. Where does the messenger want Oedipus to go?
3. Does the shepherd identify the messenger as someone he's met?
4. What did Oedipus' parent say about the accusation that Oedipus was not their son?
5. What was the messenger's profession when he found the infant Oedipus?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)