|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
(a) Oedipus offers the murderer a place in Corinth in exchange for banishment from Thebes.
(b) Oedipus offers to limit the murderer's banishment.
(c) Oedipus offers the murderer his choice of death or banishment.
(d) Oedipus offers to banish the murderer instead of killing him.
2. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
(a) Human prophets are always wrong.
(b) It's impossible to tell if human prophets have real knowledge beyond the everyday.
(c) Human prophets have human motivations.
(d) Human prophets are the same as the gods and priests.
3. What does Creon do initially when he hears Oedipus charged him with causing Teiresias to lie?
(a) talks to the people of Thebes
(b) makes a counterclaim of treason against Oedipus
(c) flees the city of Thebes
(d) challenges Oedipus to a fight
4. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
(a) It is a blessing and a curse.
(b) It is fleeting and unreliable.
(c) It brings no benefits.
(d) It is misunderstood, even by himself.
5. In the encounter between Oedipus and the stranger in the carriage, what was the initial violent act?
(a) The stranger whipped Oedipus.
(b) Oedipus whipped the stranger.
(c) The herald struck Oedipus with his sword.
(d) The stranger struck Oedipus with his sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
2. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
3. What does Oedipus ask about Polybus' death?
4. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
5. What does Jocasta say about human prophecy?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)