|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
(b) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
(c) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
(d) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
2. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
3. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
(a) pity on him in his misery
(b) the news to the outlying farms
(d) their suppliant branches
4. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the blind prophet
(b) the gods or wise men
(c) the town elders
(d) Zeus's oracle
5. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
(a) an unfulfilled prophecy
(b) an unavenged murder
(c) a fight between protecting gods
(d) a slight to the gods
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
2. Who does the priest say has gathered?
3. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
4. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
5. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)