|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(b) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(c) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
(d) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
2. According to Creon, who does a witness say killed Laius?
(a) a lone traveller
(b) a man with the power of a god
(c) a gang of robbers
(d) a band of soldiers
3. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(b) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(c) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
(d) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
4. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
(a) Either the murderer will be caught and punished, or else they will all be ruined.
(b) The murderer will definitely be caught and punished.
(c) The gods will decide the outcome, and the murderer's fate is in their hands.
(d) The whole town, and Oedipus himself, will definitely be ruined.
5. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
(a) to Apollo's shrine
(b) to Zeus's oracle
(c) to wander the wilderness
(d) to the kingdom of Corinth
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
2. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
3. What does Oedipus say about the fact that Laius' death wasn't looked into before?
4. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
5. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)