|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
(a) He says it is too late for revenge.
(b) He says the gods have asked the impossible.
(c) He says it is fitting.
(d) He says it will be an easy task.
2. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(b) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
(c) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(d) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
3. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) deferential and complimentary
(b) angry and ironic
(c) derisive and snide
(d) defensive and annoyed
4. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
(a) that Oedipus is good at solving riddles
(b) that Oedipus will wish this riddle were never solved
(c) that the truth is as complex as a riddle
(d) that life is a riddle
5. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
(a) look inside his own palace
(b) consult the prophet Teiresias
(c) send another emissary to Delphi
(d) search every house in the city
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
2. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
3. What does Oedipus say about the fact that Laius' death wasn't looked into before?
4. Who does Oedipus say he's seeking vengeance for?
5. Where has Oedipus sent Creon?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)