|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Teiresias leaves, what does he say about the murderer's nationality?
(a) that he will turn out to be a native Theban
(b) that he is a Corinthian
(c) that he comes from no nation
(d) that he is an Athenian
2. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
(a) Oedipus constantly forces the town to hear the story again.
(b) People have already forgotten what Oedipus has done for them.
(c) People only remember the story in times of trouble.
(d) People still tell the story of Oedipus and the Sphinx.
3. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) angry and annoyed
(b) overjoyed and cheerful
(c) critical and derisive
(d) caring and helpful
4. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus has sorrow for himself, the city, and all the townspeople.
(b) Oedipus says his personal loss from the plague is worse than anyone else's.
(c) Oedipus's heart is greater and therefore his sorrow is greater.
(d) Oedipus is full of fear that he will be dethroned.
5. Does Oedipus say he's ever met Laius?
(a) Yes, he says he's med Laius many times.
(b) Yes, he says he met Laius once.
(c) He says no, but he realizes he's met Laius many times.
(d) No, Oedipus believes he's never met Laius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
2. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
3. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
4. What is Creon's relationship to Oedipus?
5. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)