|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus accuse Creon of?
(a) setting the Sphinx upon Thebes
(b) wanting to marry Jocasta himself
(c) killing Laius and causing the plagues
(d) trying to overthrow him for the sake of power and riches
2. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) defensive and annoyed
(b) derisive and snide
(c) deferential and complimentary
(d) angry and ironic
3. What does Teiresias say about his own wisdom, after Oedipus questions him about Laius' murderer?
(a) It is fleeting and unreliable.
(b) It is a blessing and a curse.
(c) It is misunderstood, even by himself.
(d) It brings no benefits.
4. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(b) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(c) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
(d) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
5. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) townspeople from the very young to the very old
(b) all the sick and elderly townspeople
(c) all the young and hearty townspeople
(d) everyone but those ill from disease
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
2. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
3. What does the chorus leader think of Oedipus' curses on the murderer?
4. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
5. Who does Teiresias say he was "wise enough" to?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)