|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say has caused the disasters to the town?
(a) an unavenged murder
(b) a slight to the gods
(c) an unfulfilled prophecy
(d) a fight between protecting gods
2. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
(a) the news to the outlying farms
(b) pity on him in his misery
(d) their suppliant branches
3. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus has sorrow for himself, the city, and all the townspeople.
(b) Oedipus's heart is greater and therefore his sorrow is greater.
(c) Oedipus is full of fear that he will be dethroned.
(d) Oedipus says his personal loss from the plague is worse than anyone else's.
4. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
(a) He says it is fitting.
(b) He says it is too late for revenge.
(c) He says the gods have asked the impossible.
(d) He says it will be an easy task.
5. What does Teiresias say Oedipus doesn't know?
(a) the name of the murderer
(b) the true wishes of the gods
(c) the power of prophecy
(d) the family he's come from
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Teiresias say he was "wise enough" to?
2. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
3. What deal does Oedipus offer the murderer if he gives himself in?
4. What does the priest say that Oedipus will be king of, if he doesn't solve the town's problems?
5. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)