|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
(a) He feels bound to Laius by the Sphinx's riddle.
(b) He is now married to Laius' wife.
(c) He feels drawn to the memory of Laius.
(d) He says the prophets have linked him to Laius.
2. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
3. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
(b) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
(c) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
(d) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
4. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a thundering beast
(b) a roaring lion
(c) a fiery god
(d) a sinister snake
5. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) They all ran away.
(b) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(c) They were all killed.
(d) The king was alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the chorus think it's time for the murderer to flee?
2. Before he leaves, what does Oedipus say will happen?
3. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
4. Who does the priest ask to come as the people's savior?
5. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)