|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
(a) all the bad things he wished upon the murderer
(b) a life of solitude and sobriety
(c) eternal damnation
(d) to be ripped from his land and family
2. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
(a) Teiresias changes his prophesies from one day to the next.
(b) Teiresias's prophecies conflict with the oracle.
(c) Teiresias is only faking blindness.
(d) Teiresias did not answer the Sphinx's riddle.
3. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's the first among men
(b) because he's the one they all blame
(c) because he's got the power of wealth
(d) because he's a god to the town
4. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
(a) defensive and annoyed
(b) derisive and snide
(c) angry and ironic
(d) deferential and complimentary
5. Who does the chorus leader say should reveal the murderer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
2. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
3. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
4. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
5. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)