|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(b) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(c) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
(d) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
2. At the beginning of the play, where have the townspeople gathered?
(a) at the oracle
(b) in a shrine
(c) in front of the palace
(d) in the forest
3. What argument does Oedipus offer that Teiresias is not really a prophet?
(a) Teiresias did not answer the Sphinx's riddle.
(b) Teiresias's prophecies conflict with the oracle.
(c) Teiresias changes his prophesies from one day to the next.
(d) Teiresias is only faking blindness.
4. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
(a) He's been paralyzed by the horror that's come on the town.
(b) He's been offering sacrifices to all the gods.
(c) He's been carefully questioning all the townspeople who could help.
(d) He's been thinking about possible paths to a solution.
5. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
2. What is Oedipus' attitude toward Teiresias when he first speaks to the prophet?
3. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
4. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
5. What does the chorus leader tell Oedipus about the murderer?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)