|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
(a) the oracle
(b) the prophet of Hera
(c) the priest of Zeus
(d) the parliamentary leader
2. What does Oedipus call the people of Thebes?
(a) his children
(b) the gods' creations
(c) his creations
(d) the gods' children
3. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
(a) That Oedipus truly knows who his father is.
(b) That it will be revealed today and destroy Oedipus.
(c) That Oedipus has two fathers.
(d) That Oedipus will be better off not knowing.
4. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(b) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
(c) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(d) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
5. What does Creon say about Laius' companions when he was killed?
(a) They were all killed but one, who ran away.
(b) They all ran away.
(c) The king was alone.
(d) They were all killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
2. How does Teiresias respond when Oedipus says the prophet speaks in riddles?
3. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
4. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
5. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)