|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's a god to the town
(b) because he's got the power of wealth
(c) because he's the one they all blame
(d) because he's the first among men
2. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's financial condition?
(a) that he is rich but not in spirit
(b) that he is rich with wealth but not love
(c) that he is rich but cannot buy contentment
(d) that he is rich but will be poor
3. Who does the priest suggest Oedipus listen to, in order to solve the town's problems?
(a) the town elders
(b) the blind prophet
(c) the gods or wise men
(d) Zeus's oracle
4. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
(a) a life of solitude and sobriety
(b) to be ripped from his land and family
(c) all the bad things he wished upon the murderer
(d) eternal damnation
5. What reason does Teiresias give for not answering Oedipus' questions?
(a) He isn't sure about what he knows.
(b) He knows the truth, but the gods have told him not to say.
(c) He doesn't want to cause them both grief.
(d) He does not believe his own visions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
2. Who does Teiresias say he serves?
3. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
4. What course of action does the chorus leader suggest Oedipus should take?
5. What does Oedipus first say to Creon as he approaches?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)