|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the priest say has gathered?
(a) all the young and hearty townspeople
(b) all the sick and elderly townspeople
(c) everyone but those ill from disease
(d) townspeople from the very young to the very old
2. What does the chorus say about human prophets?
(a) Human prophets are the same as the gods and priests.
(b) It's impossible to tell if human prophets have real knowledge beyond the everyday.
(c) Human prophets are always wrong.
(d) Human prophets have human motivations.
3. Why does Oedipus ask Creon to speak in front of the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus wants to show the townspeople he's not afraid.
(b) Oedipus feels more for the townspeople than for his own life.
(c) Oedipus wants the townspeople to become used to Creon's voice.
(d) Oedipus wants to show Creon that he's not afraid.
4. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a laurel wreath
(b) a crown
(c) a chain of daisies
(d) a hood
5. Why does the priest say they've come to Oedipus?
(a) because he's the one they all blame
(b) because he's the first among men
(c) because he's got the power of wealth
(d) because he's a god to the town
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he's been doing in his sorrow?
2. What does Oedipus decree that no citizen of Thebes shall do?
3. How is the tale of Oedipus and the Sphinx treated in the town?
4. Why does Oedipus say he's not punishing Teiresias?
5. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)