|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Creon say about the god's call to avenge Laius' death now?
(a) He says it is too late for revenge.
(b) He says it will be an easy task.
(c) He says it is fitting.
(d) He says the gods have asked the impossible.
2. What does Oedipus ask of the citizens of Thebes?
(a) He orders them to reveal the murderer, if they know who he is.
(b) He orders them to go to the shrines and give offerings to the gods.
(c) He orders them to hold a great celebration in the town.
(d) He orders them to gather together and stay in their houses.
3. What does Oedipus ask Teiresias to do, after Teiresias says Oedipus is the murderer?
(a) fight him
(b) fall on his knees and pray
(c) leave Thebes immediately
(d) repeat what he's said
4. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
(a) The chorus remembers rumors of a quarrel between the two houses.
(b) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have been angry.
(c) The chorus thinks Oedipus may have desired the throne.
(d) The chorus knows of no quarrel between the two houses.
5. Where are the townspeople who are not gathered to speak with Oedipus?
(a) in their graves
(b) at the gods' shrines asking for help
(c) at home, caring for the sick
(d) in the fields, trying to cure the diseases
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oedipus react to Teiresias' unwillingness to speak?
2. What does Teiresias answer when Oedipus asks the identity of his father?
3. Why does Oedipus feel linked to Laius?
4. At the end of the scene, what does Oedipus ask the people to stand up and take?
5. Who does Teiresias accuse as the murderer?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)