|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest point out about Oedipus overcoming the Sphinx?
(a) Oedipus had no more knowledge or instruction than the townspeople, and yet was able to solve the riddle.
(b) Oedipus was able to defeat the Sphinx because of his powerful arm and his connections to royalty.
(c) Oedipus used superior training to defeat the Sphinx, and no one else had the same benefits.
(d) Oedipus defeated the Sphinx only out of sheer luck.
2. What is Creon wearing on his head as he approaches the town?
(a) a chain of daisies
(b) a laurel wreath
(c) a hood
(d) a crown
3. What does Creon say of the news he brings?
(a) It's both good and bad news.
(b) It's bad news.
(c) It's hard to interpret if it's good or bad.
(d) It's good news.
4. Why does the priest tell the people that they can leave at the end of the scene?
(a) He says the people will never get salvation.
(b) He says the people have been ignored in favor of Creon.
(c) He says Oedipus is not the one to help.
(d) He says the people have what they've come for.
5. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a thundering beast
(b) a sinister snake
(c) a fiery god
(d) a roaring lion
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
2. What does Teiresias say about the murderer's eyesight?
3. Who does the priest say has gathered?
4. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
5. How does Creon's face look as he approaches?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)