|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Oedipus' initial attitude toward the crowd that has gathered?
(a) overjoyed and cheerful
(b) caring and helpful
(c) critical and derisive
(d) angry and annoyed
2. What does the priest call pestilence?
(a) a roaring lion
(b) a sinister snake
(c) a fiery god
(d) a thundering beast
3. Why does Oedipus say his sorrow is greater than the townspeople?
(a) Oedipus is full of fear that he will be dethroned.
(b) Oedipus has sorrow for himself, the city, and all the townspeople.
(c) Oedipus says his personal loss from the plague is worse than anyone else's.
(d) Oedipus's heart is greater and therefore his sorrow is greater.
4. What does Oedipus wish for himself, if he unknowingly hosted the murderer at his home?
(a) a life of solitude and sobriety
(b) all the bad things he wished upon the murderer
(c) to be ripped from his land and family
(d) eternal damnation
5. What does Teiresias believe about future events?
(a) They are for the best.
(b) They can be stopped but only by Oedipus.
(c) They can be stopped by his silence.
(d) He cannot change them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks for the people of Thebes as their leader?
2. What does the chorus say about Oedipus' possible motive for killing Laius?
3. Where does Creon say the murderer of Lauis is?
4. What does Oedipus say he has to fear from Laius' murderer?
5. Where does Creon say Laius was when he was killed?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)