|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
(a) A chest of gold each, and a well-wrought libations cup.
(b) A chest of gold and a chest of silver.
(c) A spotless robe and tunic and a talent of gold.
(d) A slave and a chest of gold.
2. Why does Nausicaa go to the river in Book 6?
(a) She wants to enjoy the day with her maids, playing ball.
(b) She needs to bathe.
(c) She wants to find a husband.
(d) She needs to do the wash for her family.
3. What does the first spirit to visit Odysseus in Hades ask him to do?
(a) Make more sacrifices at each place he stops.
(b) Kill one of his men because the gods detest him.
(c) Take care of his father, Laertes.
(d) Go back to Aeaea and observe his funeral rites.
4. Why did Odysseus and Ajax fight?
(a) It was a sporting contest.
(b) It was for honor after they insulted each other.
(c) It was for the gods' amusement.
(d) It was contest to win Achilles' armor.
5. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
(b) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
(c) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
(d) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
2. What advice does Agamemnon give to Odysseus regarding women in Book 11?
3. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
4. What color yarn does Nausicaa's mother spin?
5. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)