|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
(a) The famous quarrel between Odysseus and Achilles.
(b) The end of the Trojan war.
(c) The deeds and misdeeds of the gods.
(d) The tragic end of Agamemnon.
2. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
(a) He is wearing the clothes that Calypso gave him, but they're a little ragged.
(b) He is completely naked.
(c) He is covered in the sail from his raft.
(d) He is wearing Ino's veil.
3. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
4. Why did Odysseus and Ajax fight?
(a) It was contest to win Achilles' armor.
(b) It was for honor after they insulted each other.
(c) It was a sporting contest.
(d) It was for the gods' amusement.
5. According to Teiresias' shade, what will help Odysseus and his crew make it home safely?
(a) They need to stay and question more spirits.
(b) They need to sacrifice one of sun's cattle to appease Poseidon.
(c) They need to make a trip to Olympus.
(d) They need to leave the cattle of the sun unharmed when they land on his island.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Athene reveal herself to the men gathered at Nestor's palace?
2. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
3. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
4. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
5. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)