|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
2. In Book 6, what instructions does Nausicaa give her maids regarding Odysseus?
(a) They are to wash his clothes too.
(b) They are to give him food and drink and bathe him.
(c) They are to keep away from this stranger.
(d) They are to run to get the men for protection.
3. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
(a) Nausicaa's oldest brother.
(b) Nausicaa's father.
(c) One of the servants.
(d) Nausicaa's mother.
4. What advice does Agamemnon give to Odysseus regarding women in Book 11?
(a) Tell a part and let a part be hid.
(b) Always be gentle with your wife.
(c) Hide your ship and surprise her with your return.
(d) Send your treasures ahead of yourself after so long an absence.
5. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
(a) The famous quarrel between Odysseus and Achilles.
(b) The end of the Trojan war.
(c) The tragic end of Agamemnon.
(d) The deeds and misdeeds of the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
2. How does Athene reveal herself to the men gathered at Nestor's palace?
3. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
4. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
5. Why are there so few boars among Odysseus' swine in Book 14?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)