|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Oscar's wife angry with him?
2. How long is Felix married?
3. Where does Vinnie say he is going the morning after the first poker game?
4. What is wrong with the atmosphere in Oscar's apartment when the play starts?
5. Why does Felix say that he cannot drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Felix urge the poker players to do during the second game, and how do they react?
2. What does Murray say as he leaves the second poker game, and why is this ironic?
3. What does Felix expect from his date with Cecily and Gwendolyn, and why?
4. Who is Blanche, and why does she call Oscar at the beginning of the play?
5. What are each of the Pigeon sisters' marriages like, and why do they end?
6. When the first scene of the second act opens, what does Felix do to Oscar's apartment?
7. Why do Oscar and his friends watch Felix very closely when he first arrives?
8. Why is this play called "The Odd Couple"?
9. Why does Felix refuse to go the Pigeon sister's apartment, and how does Oscar react?
10. Describe the friends with whom Oscar plays poker.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how Oscar, Felix, and the Pigeon Sisters demonstrate gender norms of the time period in which the play is set.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the symbolism of the game of poker in The Odd Couple.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail at least three attributes a person needs to be a good friend. Judge whether or not Felix and Oscar are good friends to each other.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)