|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the poker players have trouble playing at the beginning of the play?
2. What is Oscar's wife's name?
3. Why does Frances call?
4. How does Felix describe the state of his marriage before the divorce?
5. How many times is the poker interrupted by the phone in the first scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are each of the Pigeon sisters' marriages like, and why do they end?
2. What do the Pigeon sisters look like, and how do they act?
3. When Oscar gets angry with Felix after the second poker game, how does Felix respond?
4. Why is Speed upset with the state of the apartment during the second poker game?
5. What embarrassing thing does Oscar do when the Pigeon sisters arrive, and what does this suggest about Oscar?
6. Why do Oscar and his friends watch Felix very closely when he first arrives?
7. Describe the condition of Oscar's apartment at the beginning of the play. What does this say about Oscar?
8. What does Murray say as he leaves the second poker game, and why is this ironic?
9. What do Roy and Murray say when Frances first calls, and what does this reveal about their attitudes towards women?
10. How is the conflict between Felix and Oscar resolved at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate what you think is the message Neil Simon is trying to send about human relationships in The Odd Couple.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the symbolism of the game of poker in The Odd Couple.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze how the setting of The Odd Couple influences the story.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)