|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Felix feel about his wife at the beginning of the play?
2. How long is Felix married?
3. Which character is the most concerned about playing poker instead of talking?
4. Why is it difficult to breathe in Oscar's apartment when the play begins?
5. Why does Frances call?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Felix tries to make conversation with the Pigeon sisters?
2. Why do the poker players think that Felix is in danger of hurting himself?
3. How and why do Felix and Oscar argue at the beginning of the final scene?
4. What does Oscar expect from his date with the Pigeon sisters, and why?
5. Why does Oscar's wife leave him?
6. Where does Speed suggest that Felix may be in the first scene, and why is this humorous?
7. What is the climax of the play, as demonstrated in the final scene?
8. What does Frances want when she calls Felix, and what does this make Felix realize?
9. Why does Oscar offer to let Felix move in?
10. Why does Oscar say that he is kicking Felix out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the basic elements of a plot, and give detailed examples of those elements from The Odd Couple.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze how Neil Simon manages to present serious situations in a humorous light.
Essay Topic 3
Provide a detailed analysis of how The Odd Couple influences modern American drama.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)