|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Felix have?
2. What does Felix's wife quip that Felix's tombstone says?
3. What are the characters playing when the play begins?
4. Why is Oscar's wife angry with him?
5. What is wrong with the atmosphere in Oscar's apartment when the play starts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What embarrassing thing does Oscar do when the Pigeon sisters arrive, and what does this suggest about Oscar?
2. Why does Murray like the fact that Felix lives with Oscar?
3. Who is Blanche, and why does she call Oscar at the beginning of the play?
4. Why does the second poker game break up?
5. Why is Felix upset when Oscar arrives the night of their date with the Pigeon sisters?
6. After Felix and Oscar argue in the second act, what does Oscar offer as a solution to help Felix?
7. Why do Oscar and his friends watch Felix very closely when he first arrives?
8. What are each of the Pigeon sisters' marriages like, and why do they end?
9. Why does Oscar offer to let Felix move in?
10. Why does Oscar say that he is kicking Felix out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what a foil is, and explain how Oscar and Felix are foils for each other.
Essay Topic 2
Define characterization in your own words, and describe in detail Neil Simon's methods of developing characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail why it is important to study a performance of a play in addition to reading it in class.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)