|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult to breathe in Oscar's apartment when the play begins?
2. How is Vinnie's personality best described?
3. What is Murray's occupation?
4. What are the characters playing when the play begins?
5. Why do the men gather to play poker every week?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Oscar and his friends watch Felix very closely when he first arrives?
2. What does Murray say as he leaves the second poker game, and why is this ironic?
3. Why is this play called "The Odd Couple"?
4. What does Frances want when she calls Felix, and what does this make Felix realize?
5. When the Murray, Speed, Vinnie, and Roy leave the first poker game, what do they say, and how does Oscar reassure them?
6. Why do you think the poker players banter back and forth so much during the first poker game?
7. What do the Pigeon sisters look like, and how do they act?
8. After Felix and Oscar argue in the second act, what does Oscar offer as a solution to help Felix?
9. What do Roy and Murray say when Frances first calls, and what does this reveal about their attitudes towards women?
10. What are the poker players generally trying to do when Felix arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you think Felix is so compulsive about neatness and order. What does this gain for him?
Essay Topic 2
Define characterization in your own words, and describe in detail Neil Simon's methods of developing characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of physical comedy in the storyline of The Odd Couple.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)