|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oscar say that Felix can stay with him?
2. How many children does Felix have?
3. What does Felix do the last time he is in a great deal of pain?
4. Why is it difficult to breathe in Oscar's apartment when the play begins?
5. How does Felix describe the state of his marriage before the divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oscar tell the other poker players to do in the last line of the play, and what does this show about Oscar?
2. Why is Felix upset when Oscar arrives the night of their date with the Pigeon sisters?
3. Why is Speed upset with the state of the apartment during the second poker game?
4. What does Oscar say at the end of his and Felix's last argument, and how does he emphasize his point?
5. Why doesn't Oscar and his friends want Felix to go to the bathroom alone, and why is this humorous?
6. After Felix and Oscar argue in the second act, what does Oscar offer as a solution to help Felix?
7. What do Roy and Murray say when Frances first calls, and what does this reveal about their attitudes towards women?
8. How is the conflict between Felix and Oscar resolved at the end of the play?
9. When Felix arrives at the first poker game, what does he admit to doing, and how is the situation resolved?
10. When Oscar asks Felix to move in, what does Felix start doing? What does this foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the marriages and divorces of Oscar and Felix, and analyze what these events reveal about them as characters.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how The Odd Couple demonstrates the impact of divorce on middle-aged men.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the play, analyze how Oscar and Felix develop as characters throughout the play.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)