|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the atmosphere in Oscar's apartment when the play starts?
2. How is Murray's personality best described?
3. How does Oscar reassure the other players as they leave?
4. How much does Oscar save while he is married?
5. How is Vinnie's personality best described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Felix tries to make conversation with the Pigeon sisters?
2. When Oscar asks Felix to move in, what does Felix start doing? What does this foreshadow?
3. When the first scene of the second act opens, what does Felix do to Oscar's apartment?
4. What happens to Felix's dinner, and why?
5. Why is this play called "The Odd Couple"?
6. Who is not worried about Felix at the beginning of the play, and why?
7. How do the other poker players respond to the news that Oscar has thrown Felix out, and why?
8. Why does the second poker game break up?
9. When Oscar gets angry with Felix after the second poker game, how does Felix respond?
10. Why doesn't Oscar and his friends want Felix to go to the bathroom alone, and why is this humorous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the symbolism of the game of poker in The Odd Couple.
Essay Topic 2
List your first impressions of Oscar and Felix in the first scene, and analyze whether these impressions prove to be correct.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how both Felix and Oscar change as characters throughout the play.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)