|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does Oscar's apartment have?
2. What improvement does Frances want to make to the house?
3. How many times is the poker interrupted by the phone in the first scene?
4. How is Felix's crisis from earlier in the day averted?
5. Where does Felix go right after his wife throws him out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the other poker players respond to the news that Oscar has thrown Felix out, and why?
2. What happens to Felix's dinner, and why?
3. What does Murray say as he leaves the second poker game, and why is this ironic?
4. How does Felix ruin the date with the Pigeon sisters?
5. What does Oscar say at the end of his and Felix's last argument, and how does he emphasize his point?
6. What do Roy and Murray say when Frances first calls, and what does this reveal about their attitudes towards women?
7. Where does Speed suggest that Felix may be in the first scene, and why is this humorous?
8. Why is Felix reluctant to go on a date, and why does he eventually agree to do it?
9. How and why do Felix and Oscar argue at the beginning of the final scene?
10. What does Oscar expect from his date with the Pigeon sisters, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how The Odd Couple demonstrates the impact of divorce on middle-aged men.
Essay Topic 2
Define characterization in your own words, and describe in detail Neil Simon's methods of developing characterizations.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze how the setting of The Odd Couple influences the story.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)