|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Odd's father's requirement for women?
2. What does Viola say that she can go on August 15 rather than stay home or go to the movies?
3. What were the clergy of the Church of the Whispering Comet convicted of?
4. What does Odd use as a weapon when confronted by the coyotes in Chapter 37?
5. What does Shamus say that the card says?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karla say happened before the chief was shot?
2. What does Odd explain in Chapter 35 he now knows about Robertson that he hadn't understood earlier when he went to Robertson's house?
3. What does Rosalia say happened before Odd comes to check in on her in Chapter 44?
4. What does Odd find at the abandoned church when he goes there to hide Robertson's body?
5. Describe what Odd finds when he returns to his apartment after leaving Stormy's.
6. What does Shamus tell Odd about the card?
7. Explain what happens in Chapter 42 when Odd hands the strange card from Robertson to the nurse at the hospital.
8. What does Odd find in Robertson's freezer?
9. Explain what happens in Chapter 52 when Odd goes to see his mother.
10. Why does Odd explain that he is feeling guilty about Bob Robertson's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story is the first in the series.
Part 1) Which of the subplots in the story will be continued over to the next in the series?
Part 2) Which of the characters in the story seem to be characters that the author would want to use again in the series? Which of the characters will most likely not bee seen again in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) What is one of the major themes in this story? In what ways is this theme shown? Could this be a theme for other books in this series?
Part 2) When Odd alludes to what is going to happen later in the story does this seem to be the same as foreshadowing? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Eckles, Vanders, Robertson and Gosset were the conspirators in the story.
Part 1) Is there any indication in the story as to who the leader of the group may have been?
Part 2) What does it indicate about Eckles and Vanders that they were police and so many people seem to trust them?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)