|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1 what does Odd say is the altar at which most people worship?
2. How does Odd describe the man who ordered him to write this memoir, Boone?
3. What does Odd say that Harlo does with the pieces of white felt that he carries around with him?
4. How many bodachs had Odd seen with Gary Tolliver in the days leading up to Gary murdering his entire family with a power drill?
5. In Chapter 10 what does Odd say he would have said if he had been able to talk to the other him standing in the doorway of the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Odd feels when he watches the Fugus Man at Stormy's ice cream shop?
2. When Odd first sees Harlo how is Harlo's past described?
3. What does Stormy and Odd talk about when he first tells her about breaking into Robertson's house?
4. How does Odd describe the relationship between him and Stormy in Chapter 1?
5. What does the chief of police tell Odd about what to say about Harlo and the chase?
6. How is Granny Sugars described in Chapter 1?
7. Describe what happens when Odd steps into the black room.
8. What does the chief tell Odd when he calls Odd in Chapter 21 after the police have went to the church?
9. What condition is Fungus Man's house in when Odd enters it in Chapter 9?
10. What does Odd notice about the differences between the study and the rest of Robertson's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Why is it that Stormy refuses to stay home from work even though she has been very worried about Odd?
Part 2) Is there any indication that Stormy may regret her choice?
Part 3) What does it say about Stormy that she was willing to get a tattoo so that she and Odd had matching birthmarks?
Essay Topic 2
Odd was willing to do whatever it took to save Viola but he wasn't willing to say anything to the blond girl from the bowling alley.
Part 1) Explain the differences in these two characters for Odd.
Part 2) Why does the author chose never to name this girl and Odd chooses never to casually speak to her?
Essay Topic 3
Odd seems to have no grand ambitions in the story.
Part 1) Why does Odd not give thought to starting up some business even if only in his small town? Does this indicate anything about Odd's personality?
Part 2) Is there a possibility that Odd wants to go to work at the tire shop because of the ghost that seems to be stuck there? Explain.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)