|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Porter tell Odd he is to say if someone asks why Odd chased Harlo?
2. What does Odd speculate about what makes the room turn into the black room?
3. What else does Odd say draws the attention of the bodachs in addition to murders?
4. What does Odd say he and Stormy have?
5. What does the name given to the man-made lake outside the city limits of Pico Mundo mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Odd explain that he is feeling guilty about Bob Robertson's death?
2. How does Odd describe the bodachs in Chapter 4?
3. Describe the confrontation between Odd and Harlo in Chapter 1.
4. When Odd first sees Harlo how is Harlo's past described?
5. What does the chief tell Odd when he calls Odd in Chapter 21 after the police have went to the church?
6. What does Odd explain in Chapter 35 he now knows about Robertson that he hadn't understood earlier when he went to Robertson's house?
7. Explain what happens when Ozzie, Viola and Terri come to visit Odd and tell him that Stormy died.
8. What does Odd find in Robertson's study in Chapter 13?
9. Describe what Odd feels when he watches the Fugus Man at Stormy's ice cream shop?
10. What does Odd find in Robertson's freezer?
Essay Topic 1
Odd seems to have no grand ambitions in the story.
Part 1) Why does Odd not give thought to starting up some business even if only in his small town? Does this indicate anything about Odd's personality?
Part 2) Is there a possibility that Odd wants to go to work at the tire shop because of the ghost that seems to be stuck there? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Is it believable that the conspirators in the story were devil worshipers?
Part 2) Does the description given coincide with the preconceived notion you already have about the behavior of what Satanic servants would be? Explain in what ways the author used any unique ideas in this description.
Essay Topic 3
Odd is recounting these events in his own memoirs.
Part 1) Given the way that Odd is talking while writing the memoirs and the way he spoke before is there any indication to show a great change that he himself seems to sense? Explain.
Part 2) Ozzie tells Odd to keep the mood light. What is the purpose of Ozzie telling Odd this?
This section contains 2,133 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)