|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Odd say that heating and cooling does to the human mind?
2. How many bodachs had Odd seen with Gary Tolliver in the days leading up to Gary murdering his entire family with a power drill?
3. What does Odd see in Chapter 14 before he leaves Robertson's house?
4. What does Ozzie tell Odd to bring Stormy around to see?
5. What talent does Ozzie feel that Odd is squandering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karla say happened before the chief was shot?
2. What condition is Fungus Man's house in when Odd enters it in Chapter 9?
3. In Chapter 6 describe the conversation between Odd and Viola about her dream.
4. Describe the scene when Odd goes to see his father.
5. What does the chief of police tell Odd about what to say about Harlo and the chase?
6. Describe the Fungus Man as Odd sees him in Chapter 5.
7. How does Odd explain that Terri's interest in Elvis and her dead husband are connected?
8. What happens after Odd reenters the Fungus Man's house in Chapter 11?
9. Describe the places in which Odd has seen the bodachs, or expects he would have seen them, as he explains in Chapter 5.
10. When Odd's mother comes out of the house what does she tell Odd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Odd is recounting these events in his own memoirs.
Part 1) Given the way that Odd is talking while writing the memoirs and the way he spoke before is there any indication to show a great change that he himself seems to sense? Explain.
Part 2) Ozzie tells Odd to keep the mood light. What is the purpose of Ozzie telling Odd this?
Essay Topic 2
Odd has dreams when he sleeps.
Part 1) Speculate on how it would effect a person to dream of people dying when you were a child.
Part 2) Does it seem more likely that Odd inherited this gift/curse, like his supposed aunt Cymry, or that it was a result of the trauma experienced at the hands of his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Odd seems to have no grand ambitions in the story.
Part 1) Why does Odd not give thought to starting up some business even if only in his small town? Does this indicate anything about Odd's personality?
Part 2) Is there a possibility that Odd wants to go to work at the tire shop because of the ghost that seems to be stuck there? Explain.
This section contains 2,152 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)