|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Stephen begin to play when he hears that the war is over?
2. In what do the Nakane family pack their belongings when they are relocated from Slocan?
3. Which of the following are NOT harvested in the Nakane garden?
4. What is the name of Naomi's mother's record that is accidentally destroyed?
5. During which season does Uncle come to stay with the family in Slocan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naomi cares for many young animals throughout the course of the novel. Briefly describe two of the caretaking roles that Naomi took on growing up and explain how caretaking provided an outlet for Naomi's grief.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Stephen struggles the most with his inability to balance culture.
Part 1) Compare / contrast Stephen's relationship to his culture as a child with his relationship to his culture as an adult.
Part 2.) Generate a list of events that highlight the way that Stephen began to pull away from his culture.
Part 3.) Theorize whether or not Stephen will return to his cultural roots based on the way that the novel ended.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Gower had a very large impact on Naomi's life as a child. Explain the relationship that Naomi had with her neighbor and discuss the ways that this relationship affected Naomi's use of silence, and her ability to love.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)