|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obasan say strengthens humans?
2. With whom do the Nakane children travel when they are relocated from Slocan?
3. How many people does Aunt Emily know of that returned to Vancouver in the 1940s?
4. What is the name of Naomi's mother's record that is accidentally destroyed?
5. Besides moving back to Japan, what other option do families have in 1945?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naomi cares for many young animals throughout the course of the novel. Briefly describe two of the caretaking roles that Naomi took on growing up and explain how caretaking provided an outlet for Naomi's grief.
Essay Topic 2
All throughout the novel, Naomi struggles with authority in her life.
Part 1.) Explain the ways that Naomi struggles with authority in her personal adult life.
Part 2.) Describe the ways that Naomi's struggle with authority begins to penetrate her dreams.
Part 3.) Theorize why Naomi has such trouble with authority based on her childhood.
Essay Topic 3
When Naomi is first sent to Obasan's house, she is repulsed by its condition.
Part 1.) Describe the physicality of Obasan's house as it was depicted in the text.
Part 2.) Explain the symbolism that Obasan's house has with memory. Why does Naomi's aversion to memory affect her comfort in Obasan's home?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)