|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During which season does Uncle come to stay with the family in Slocan?
2. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
3. On the day that the family makes their move from Slocan, which family member disappears in the night?
4. What does Stephen tell Naomi about where their father is staying in New Denver?
5. How is Naomi's recovery room described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colors act as very strong symbols throughout the novel, appearing both in Naomi's dreams and in her realities. Choose one color and generate a list of three times that this color was used throughout the novel. What do you think this color symbolizes in Natalie's story?
Essay Topic 2
Kogawa chooses to write this novel in a very unconventional way. Explain the structure of the novel and discuss whether or not this use of structure was effective in telling Naomi's story. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are many epistolary, or written, elements to the novel. Create a list of three elements used throughout the novel as ways of recording history for the family, and describe the ways that these element affected Naomi's relationship with her family's truths.
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)