|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen accidentally break during his family's goodbye party?
2. What does Obasan bring Naomi when she comes to visit as she is recovering?
3. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
4. What is the name of the internment camp that Grandmother Nakane is relocated to?
5. What is the name of Naomi's mother's record that is accidentally destroyed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All throughout the novel, Naomi struggles with authority in her life.
Part 1.) Explain the ways that Naomi struggles with authority in her personal adult life.
Part 2.) Describe the ways that Naomi's struggle with authority begins to penetrate her dreams.
Part 3.) Theorize why Naomi has such trouble with authority based on her childhood.
Essay Topic 2
Colors act as very strong symbols throughout the novel, appearing both in Naomi's dreams and in her realities. Choose one color and generate a list of three times that this color was used throughout the novel. What do you think this color symbolizes in Natalie's story?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the men in Naomi's family had made their living on a boat and at sea. Explain the cultural and symbolic significance of water and boats throughout the text. What was taken away from the family when the government seized their boats?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)