|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Uncle bring for Stephen?
2. What is Naomi concerned might have happened to her mother when she returned to Japan?
3. When the Indian in Rough Lock's story resettles his people, what does he name the town?
4. In what month is it announced that the war has ended?
5. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naomi has a very strained and complicated relationship with her Aunt Emily throughout the course of the novel. Compare / contrast the story of Emily's journey as it is presented in her journals with the story of Naomi that is presented to the reader. How are their journeys the same? How are they different? Explain why Naomi is much more like her Aunt Emily than she would like to admit. How does Emily's political struggle reflect Naomi's bi-cultural struggles?
Essay Topic 2
Kogawa chooses to write this novel in a very unconventional way. Explain the structure of the novel and discuss whether or not this use of structure was effective in telling Naomi's story. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the men in Naomi's family had made their living on a boat and at sea. Explain the cultural and symbolic significance of water and boats throughout the text. What was taken away from the family when the government seized their boats?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)