|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Obasan say is strengthened by fire?
2. Where does Stephen attend college?
3. What does Obasan bring Naomi when she comes to visit as she is recovering?
4. In what month is it announced that the war has ended?
5. What does Obasan say strengthens humans?
Essay Topic 1
There are many deaths throughout the novel, but Uncle's seems to be the most important. Describe the effect that Uncle's death has on Naomi's life and explain why Uncle's death may be considered the most important death in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Naomi cares for many young animals throughout the course of the novel. Briefly describe two of the caretaking roles that Naomi took on growing up and explain how caretaking provided an outlet for Naomi's grief.
Essay Topic 3
Naomi has a very strenuous relationship with her mother throughout the course of the novel. Create a timeline of Naomi's life in regards to her relationship with her mother. At what times did Naomi feel closest to her mother? At what times did she seem furthest away? What triggers were in place to prompt the changes that Naomi felt toward her mother?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)