|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen spend his time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
2. In what do the Nakane family pack their belongings when they are relocated from Slocan?
3. What is the name of Mr. Barker's daughter?
4. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
5. How do Uncle and Obasan greet each other at their reunification?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many epistolary, or written, elements to the novel. Create a list of three elements used throughout the novel as ways of recording history for the family, and describe the ways that these element affected Naomi's relationship with her family's truths.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the men in Naomi's family had made their living on a boat and at sea. Explain the cultural and symbolic significance of water and boats throughout the text. What was taken away from the family when the government seized their boats?
Essay Topic 3
Kogawa chooses to write this novel in a very unconventional way. Explain the structure of the novel and discuss whether or not this use of structure was effective in telling Naomi's story. Why or why not?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)