Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Naomi dream is attempting to communicate with her?
2. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
3. During which season does Uncle come to stay with the family in Slocan?
4. How does Naomi's father react when the war ends?
5. Who from Slocan is actively trying to keep their community together?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Naomi struggles with the question of whether she should remember the past or simply forget it. Compare and contrast the benefits and disadvantages in both of these strategies. Then, explain what Naomi's process was moving from a forgetful past to a future full of memories.
Essay Topic 2
Memory proves to be the most powerful tool used to tell Naomi's story. Describe the ways that Kogawa uses memory to trigger plot in the novel, and discuss the various ways that memory is used to broaden the relationship that the reader feels toward Naomi as the novel progresses.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her childhood, Naomi moved many times.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast Naomi's life in Slocan with her life in Granton.
Part 2.) Explain why Naomi believed that her life in Granton were the worst years of her life.
Part 3.) Explain the ways that community extended throughout Slocan and what Naomi's place in that society was.
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)