|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Naomi dream is attempting to communicate with her?
2. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
3. During which season does Uncle come to stay with the family in Slocan?
4. How does Naomi's father react when the war ends?
5. Who from Slocan is actively trying to keep their community together?
Essay Topic 1
All throughout the novel, Naomi struggles with authority in her life.
Part 1.) Explain the ways that Naomi struggles with authority in her personal adult life.
Part 2.) Describe the ways that Naomi's struggle with authority begins to penetrate her dreams.
Part 3.) Theorize why Naomi has such trouble with authority based on her childhood.
Essay Topic 2
While the children are growing up, Stephen says to Naomi that being Japanese made them "both the enemy and not the enemy." What did this quote mean to Naomi at the time of her childhood, and what does it mean to her now as an adult? How does a double-identity play into Naomi's character throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
Naomi cares for many young animals throughout the course of the novel. Briefly describe two of the caretaking roles that Naomi took on growing up and explain how caretaking provided an outlet for Naomi's grief.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)