|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During which season does Uncle come to stay with the family in Slocan?
2. What instrument does Stephen begin to play when he hears that the war is over?
3. When Stephen wins a music award, through which continent does he travel on a tour?
4. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
5. Who from Slocan is actively trying to keep their community together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many deaths throughout the novel, but Uncle's seems to be the most important. Describe the effect that Uncle's death has on Naomi's life and explain why Uncle's death may be considered the most important death in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Naomi cares for many young animals throughout the course of the novel. Briefly describe two of the caretaking roles that Naomi took on growing up and explain how caretaking provided an outlet for Naomi's grief.
Essay Topic 3
Silence is a revered characteristic in Japanese culture. Explain the significance of silence to the characters in the novel, and explain the effect that silence has on an individual character level within the novel, as well as a cultural level in the era that this novel is set.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)