|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the children that their father has died?
2. When Stephen wins a music award, through which continent does he travel on a tour?
3. Which of the following does Naomi NOT view as a rule to proper Japanese living?
4. What is the name of the bluff that Naomi and her school friends climb?
5. What is the name of Naomi's mother's record that is accidentally destroyed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many epistolary, or written, elements to the novel. Create a list of three elements used throughout the novel as ways of recording history for the family, and describe the ways that these element affected Naomi's relationship with her family's truths.
Essay Topic 2
While the children are growing up, Stephen says to Naomi that being Japanese made them "both the enemy and not the enemy." What did this quote mean to Naomi at the time of her childhood, and what does it mean to her now as an adult? How does a double-identity play into Naomi's character throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the men in Naomi's family had made their living on a boat and at sea. Explain the cultural and symbolic significance of water and boats throughout the text. What was taken away from the family when the government seized their boats?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)