|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Naomi spend her time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
2. Which of the following are NOT harvested in the Nakane garden?
3. How is Naomi's recovery room described?
4. Which of the following best describes the home that the Nakane family live in while on the farm?
5. When the Indian in Rough Lock's story resettles his people, what does he name the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Gower had a very large impact on Naomi's life as a child. Explain the relationship that Naomi had with her neighbor and discuss the ways that this relationship affected Naomi's use of silence, and her ability to love.
Essay Topic 2
Naomi has a very strained and complicated relationship with her Aunt Emily throughout the course of the novel. Compare / contrast the story of Emily's journey as it is presented in her journals with the story of Naomi that is presented to the reader. How are their journeys the same? How are they different? Explain why Naomi is much more like her Aunt Emily than she would like to admit. How does Emily's political struggle reflect Naomi's bi-cultural struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Naomi has a very strenuous relationship with her mother throughout the course of the novel. Create a timeline of Naomi's life in regards to her relationship with her mother. At what times did Naomi feel closest to her mother? At what times did she seem furthest away? What triggers were in place to prompt the changes that Naomi felt toward her mother?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)