|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Nakane family eat to stay warm at night when they are living on the farm?
2. What does Rough Lock verbally notice about Naomi?
3. What does Obasan say strengthens humans?
4. What animal does Naomi witness having its throat slashed by a group of schoolboys?
5. How many people in Naomi's family are ever returned their land by the government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All throughout the novel, Naomi struggles with authority in her life.
Part 1.) Explain the ways that Naomi struggles with authority in her personal adult life.
Part 2.) Describe the ways that Naomi's struggle with authority begins to penetrate her dreams.
Part 3.) Theorize why Naomi has such trouble with authority based on her childhood.
Essay Topic 2
Naomi has a very strained and complicated relationship with her Aunt Emily throughout the course of the novel. Compare / contrast the story of Emily's journey as it is presented in her journals with the story of Naomi that is presented to the reader. How are their journeys the same? How are they different? Explain why Naomi is much more like her Aunt Emily than she would like to admit. How does Emily's political struggle reflect Naomi's bi-cultural struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Silence is a revered characteristic in Japanese culture. Explain the significance of silence to the characters in the novel, and explain the effect that silence has on an individual character level within the novel, as well as a cultural level in the era that this novel is set.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)