|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides moving back to Japan, what other option do families have in 1945?
2. Which of the following does Naomi NOT view as a rule to proper Japanese living?
3. How far away way is Grandmother Nakane's internment camp from Slocan?
4. Which of the following does Obasan say is strengthened by fire?
5. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
Essay Topic 1
While the children are growing up, Stephen says to Naomi that being Japanese made them "both the enemy and not the enemy." What did this quote mean to Naomi at the time of her childhood, and what does it mean to her now as an adult? How does a double-identity play into Naomi's character throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
Naomi cares for many young animals throughout the course of the novel. Briefly describe two of the caretaking roles that Naomi took on growing up and explain how caretaking provided an outlet for Naomi's grief.
Essay Topic 3
There are many deaths throughout the novel, but Uncle's seems to be the most important. Describe the effect that Uncle's death has on Naomi's life and explain why Uncle's death may be considered the most important death in the novel.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)