|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rough Lock say the last Indian's voice sounded like?
2. What animal does Naomi witness having its throat slashed by a group of schoolboys?
3. How many people in Naomi's family are ever returned their land by the government?
4. Which of the following is the family NOT allowed to bring with them when they move from Slocan?
5. When the Indian in Rough Lock's story resettles his people, what does he name the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naomi has a very strained and complicated relationship with her Aunt Emily throughout the course of the novel. Compare / contrast the story of Emily's journey as it is presented in her journals with the story of Naomi that is presented to the reader. How are their journeys the same? How are they different? Explain why Naomi is much more like her Aunt Emily than she would like to admit. How does Emily's political struggle reflect Naomi's bi-cultural struggles?
Essay Topic 2
Naomi cares for many young animals throughout the course of the novel. Briefly describe two of the caretaking roles that Naomi took on growing up and explain how caretaking provided an outlet for Naomi's grief.
Essay Topic 3
Kogawa chooses to write this novel in a very unconventional way. Explain the structure of the novel and discuss whether or not this use of structure was effective in telling Naomi's story. Why or why not?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)