|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
2. In what do the Nakane family pack their belongings when they are relocated from Slocan?
3. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
4. What type of bird do the children see when they climb the bluff in spring?
5. What does Rough Lock verbally notice about Naomi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naomi has a very strained and complicated relationship with her Aunt Emily throughout the course of the novel. Compare / contrast the story of Emily's journey as it is presented in her journals with the story of Naomi that is presented to the reader. How are their journeys the same? How are they different? Explain why Naomi is much more like her Aunt Emily than she would like to admit. How does Emily's political struggle reflect Naomi's bi-cultural struggles?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Stephen struggles the most with his inability to balance culture.
Part 1) Compare / contrast Stephen's relationship to his culture as a child with his relationship to his culture as an adult.
Part 2.) Generate a list of events that highlight the way that Stephen began to pull away from his culture.
Part 3.) Theorize whether or not Stephen will return to his cultural roots based on the way that the novel ended.
Essay Topic 3
There are many deaths throughout the novel, but Uncle's seems to be the most important. Describe the effect that Uncle's death has on Naomi's life and explain why Uncle's death may be considered the most important death in the novel.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)