|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a plight that the Nakane family suffer while living on the farm?
2. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
3. What is the name of the internment camp that Grandmother Nakane is relocated to?
4. What does Obasan bring Naomi when she comes to visit as she is recovering?
5. With whom does Naomi travel into the woods on the day that they meet Rough Lock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Silence is a revered characteristic in Japanese culture. Explain the significance of silence to the characters in the novel, and explain the effect that silence has on an individual character level within the novel, as well as a cultural level in the era that this novel is set.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Kogawa uses many different forms of figurative language including personification, simile, metaphor, and onomatopoeia. Describe the ways that Kogawa uses figurative language to propel the momentum of the storyline, and explain the ways that these tools of language affect the reader's relationship with the text.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Stephen struggles the most with his inability to balance culture.
Part 1) Compare / contrast Stephen's relationship to his culture as a child with his relationship to his culture as an adult.
Part 2.) Generate a list of events that highlight the way that Stephen began to pull away from his culture.
Part 3.) Theorize whether or not Stephen will return to his cultural roots based on the way that the novel ended.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)