|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sets Grandmother Nakane's pyre alight?
2. How far away way is Grandmother Nakane's internment camp from Slocan?
3. Which of the following is the family NOT allowed to bring with them when they move from Slocan?
4. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
5. What does Stephen tell Naomi about where their father is staying in New Denver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naomi has a very strenuous relationship with her mother throughout the course of the novel. Create a timeline of Naomi's life in regards to her relationship with her mother. At what times did Naomi feel closest to her mother? At what times did she seem furthest away? What triggers were in place to prompt the changes that Naomi felt toward her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Kogawa chooses to write this novel in a very unconventional way. Explain the structure of the novel and discuss whether or not this use of structure was effective in telling Naomi's story. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Kogawa uses many different forms of figurative language including personification, simile, metaphor, and onomatopoeia. Describe the ways that Kogawa uses figurative language to propel the momentum of the storyline, and explain the ways that these tools of language affect the reader's relationship with the text.
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)