|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Naomi's family is relocated from Slocan, what type of farm do they live on?
2. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
3. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
4. How many people does Aunt Emily know of that returned to Vancouver in the 1940s?
5. What instrument does Stephen begin to play when he hears that the war is over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Stephen struggles the most with his inability to balance culture.
Part 1) Compare / contrast Stephen's relationship to his culture as a child with his relationship to his culture as an adult.
Part 2.) Generate a list of events that highlight the way that Stephen began to pull away from his culture.
Part 3.) Theorize whether or not Stephen will return to his cultural roots based on the way that the novel ended.
Essay Topic 2
When Naomi is first sent to Obasan's house, she is repulsed by its condition.
Part 1.) Describe the physicality of Obasan's house as it was depicted in the text.
Part 2.) Explain the symbolism that Obasan's house has with memory. Why does Naomi's aversion to memory affect her comfort in Obasan's home?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Gower had a very large impact on Naomi's life as a child. Explain the relationship that Naomi had with her neighbor and discuss the ways that this relationship affected Naomi's use of silence, and her ability to love.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)