|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
2. With whom do the Nakane children travel when they are relocated from Slocan?
3. How does Stephen spend his time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
4. How does Naomi spend her time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
5. Which of the following does Naomi NOT view as a rule to proper Japanese living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many epistolary, or written, elements to the novel. Create a list of three elements used throughout the novel as ways of recording history for the family, and describe the ways that these element affected Naomi's relationship with her family's truths.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Naomi struggles with the question of whether she should remember the past or simply forget it. Compare and contrast the benefits and disadvantages in both of these strategies. Then, explain what Naomi's process was moving from a forgetful past to a future full of memories.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the men in Naomi's family had made their living on a boat and at sea. Explain the cultural and symbolic significance of water and boats throughout the text. What was taken away from the family when the government seized their boats?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)