|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the internment camp that Grandmother Nakane is relocated to?
2. What does Naomi overhear Obasan doing when Aunt Emily tells her that she thinks it's time to tell the children the truth?
3. What religion are the Nakane Grandparents?
4. What is the board game that Stephen played with while he was growing up?
5. What is Naomi concerned might have happened to her mother when she returned to Japan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naomi has a very strenuous relationship with her mother throughout the course of the novel. Create a timeline of Naomi's life in regards to her relationship with her mother. At what times did Naomi feel closest to her mother? At what times did she seem furthest away? What triggers were in place to prompt the changes that Naomi felt toward her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the men in Naomi's family had made their living on a boat and at sea. Explain the cultural and symbolic significance of water and boats throughout the text. What was taken away from the family when the government seized their boats?
Essay Topic 3
All throughout the novel, Naomi struggles with authority in her life.
Part 1.) Explain the ways that Naomi struggles with authority in her personal adult life.
Part 2.) Describe the ways that Naomi's struggle with authority begins to penetrate her dreams.
Part 3.) Theorize why Naomi has such trouble with authority based on her childhood.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)