|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandfather Nakane die?
2. What does Uncle build to carry Stephen to the hospital to have his cast removed?
3. What type of Indian is the star in Rough Lock's story?
4. How many years passed before Naomi once again spends time with Aunt Emily after they left Slocan?
5. With whom do the Nakane children travel when they are relocated from Slocan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the children are growing up, Stephen says to Naomi that being Japanese made them "both the enemy and not the enemy." What did this quote mean to Naomi at the time of her childhood, and what does it mean to her now as an adult? How does a double-identity play into Naomi's character throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
Naomi cares for many young animals throughout the course of the novel. Briefly describe two of the caretaking roles that Naomi took on growing up and explain how caretaking provided an outlet for Naomi's grief.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the men in Naomi's family had made their living on a boat and at sea. Explain the cultural and symbolic significance of water and boats throughout the text. What was taken away from the family when the government seized their boats?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)