|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Naomi's reccurring dream, what are the three Oriental women wearing?
2. What does Naomi help Nomura-obasan use while she is living with the Nakane family?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT return to the relocation camp after liberation?
4. In Naomi's dream, who is with her on the mountain?
5. What ethnicity is the officer in Naomi's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the young mother tell Obasan about the delivery of her young baby and how they ended up on the relocation train?
2. How does the neighborhood say goodbye to the Nakane family when they are relocated from Slocan?
3. As a child, how does Naomi cope with the relocation and the internment of her family?
4. What happens between Stephen and his classmates to alert the family that racism is spreading through the schools?
5. What was Naomi's relationship to Old Man Gower?
6. Why does Obasan awaken Naomi in the middle of the night and take her into the attic?
7. What is Naomi accused of when she is at the bathhouse, and how does she respond?
8. Why does the family have to be relocated from Slocan?
9. What is significant about the way that Naomi and her mother are staring at the camera in the photo that Naomi finds?
10. What improvements does Uncle make during the time that he spends in Slocan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her childhood, Naomi moved many times.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast Naomi's life in Slocan with her life in Granton.
Part 2.) Explain why Naomi believed that her life in Granton were the worst years of her life.
Part 3.) Explain the ways that community extended throughout Slocan and what Naomi's place in that society was.
Essay Topic 2
Naomi has a very strenuous relationship with her mother throughout the course of the novel. Create a timeline of Naomi's life in regards to her relationship with her mother. At what times did Naomi feel closest to her mother? At what times did she seem furthest away? What triggers were in place to prompt the changes that Naomi felt toward her mother?
Essay Topic 3
There are many deaths throughout the novel, but Uncle's seems to be the most important. Describe the effect that Uncle's death has on Naomi's life and explain why Uncle's death may be considered the most important death in the novel.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)