|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Aunt Emily comes to visit Obasan and Naomi, who picks her up from the airport?
2. Which of the following characters is NOT held in a SIck Bay?
3. How are Naomi and her family transported to their relocation camp?
4. When Naomi was being sexually abused as a child, who does she remember telling?
5. What ethnicity is the officer in Naomi's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Emily say happened to most of the Japanese people who were liberated from internment in the 1940s?
2. While Naomi is recovering in the hospital, what does she remember about the schoolboys that had a penchant for making things suffer?
3. What was Naomi's relationship to Old Man Gower?
4. What significant event happens in the Nakane family on the day of their relocation, and how does Naomi respond?
5. What is the rest of the Nakane family's reaction to Aunt Emily's revolutionary thinking?
6. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
7. What is Naomi accused of when she is at the bathhouse, and how does she respond?
8. At the onset of the labor camps, what happens to Naomi's family?
9. What are the Nakane family allowed to take with them during their relocation from Slocan, and how do they pack their belongings?
10. How do Obasan and other women on the train react to the young mother's birth story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naomi has a very strenuous relationship with her mother throughout the course of the novel. Create a timeline of Naomi's life in regards to her relationship with her mother. At what times did Naomi feel closest to her mother? At what times did she seem furthest away? What triggers were in place to prompt the changes that Naomi felt toward her mother?
Essay Topic 2
When Naomi is first sent to Obasan's house, she is repulsed by its condition.
Part 1.) Describe the physicality of Obasan's house as it was depicted in the text.
Part 2.) Explain the symbolism that Obasan's house has with memory. Why does Naomi's aversion to memory affect her comfort in Obasan's home?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her childhood, Naomi moved many times.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast Naomi's life in Slocan with her life in Granton.
Part 2.) Explain why Naomi believed that her life in Granton were the worst years of her life.
Part 3.) Explain the ways that community extended throughout Slocan and what Naomi's place in that society was.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)