|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character teaches Naomi that it was impolite to look anyone directly in the eyes?
2. The giant creature in Naomi's dream is a mix of what two animals?
3. What type of dance does Uncle perform when he appears in Naomi's dream?
4. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe Obasan as Naomi sees her?
5. For how many years are Naomi and her family in relocation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change is made in Naomi and Stephen's education after Uncle arrives to Slocan?
2. What is the condition of the internment camps, and why is Naomi's father sent there?
3. What does Naomi remember about the time she spent in Grandmother Kato's house growing up?
4. How did Naomi react to the date that she went on with her student's widowed father?
5. What is the rest of the Nakane family's reaction to Aunt Emily's revolutionary thinking?
6. How does the neighborhood say goodbye to the Nakane family when they are relocated from Slocan?
7. What does Naomi do with the frog that she finds in the swamp?
8. What happens to Grandmother Nakane after she begins to fall ill at Slocan?
9. What are ghost towns, as they pertain to the novel?
10. What is Naomi accused of when she is at the bathhouse, and how does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many deaths throughout the novel, but Uncle's seems to be the most important. Describe the effect that Uncle's death has on Naomi's life and explain why Uncle's death may be considered the most important death in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
While the children are growing up, Stephen says to Naomi that being Japanese made them "both the enemy and not the enemy." What did this quote mean to Naomi at the time of her childhood, and what does it mean to her now as an adult? How does a double-identity play into Naomi's character throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Gower had a very large impact on Naomi's life as a child. Explain the relationship that Naomi had with her neighbor and discuss the ways that this relationship affected Naomi's use of silence, and her ability to love.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)