|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
2. Which of the following characters is NOT held in a SIck Bay?
3. During their relocation, what part of Stephen's body is in a cast?
4. After the traumatic event with the animals, what does Naomi remember entering her yard, preventing her from discussing the events with anyone?
5. How are Naomi and her family transported to their relocation camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the way that Naomi and her mother are staring at the camera in the photo that Naomi finds?
2. What happened when Kenji convinced Naomi to go on his raft for an adventure with him?
3. What change is made in Naomi and Stephen's education after Uncle arrives to Slocan?
4. What speech does Aunt Emily give to Naomi about racism, and what is Naomi's response?
5. What does Naomi know about the people that made up her community in Slocan?
6. What theories are spreading throughout the Nakane children about the welfare of their mother in Japan?
7. What does Obasan keep stored in the package that Aunt Emily has sent to them?
8. Why do Mr. Barker and his second wife come to visit Obasan in her home?
9. What does Naomi find particularly irritating about Mr. and Mrs. Barker when they come to visit?
10. Why does Naomi's mother leave her, and what is Naomi's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Naomi has a very strenuous relationship with her mother throughout the course of the novel. Create a timeline of Naomi's life in regards to her relationship with her mother. At what times did Naomi feel closest to her mother? At what times did she seem furthest away? What triggers were in place to prompt the changes that Naomi felt toward her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Gower had a very large impact on Naomi's life as a child. Explain the relationship that Naomi had with her neighbor and discuss the ways that this relationship affected Naomi's use of silence, and her ability to love.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her childhood, Naomi moved many times.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast Naomi's life in Slocan with her life in Granton.
Part 2.) Explain why Naomi believed that her life in Granton were the worst years of her life.
Part 3.) Explain the ways that community extended throughout Slocan and what Naomi's place in that society was.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)