|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
2. What does "Obasan" mean in Japanese?
3. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
4. In Naomi's dream, who is with her on the mountain?
5. In Naomi's reccurring dream, what are the three Oriental women wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was life like for Naomi while she was living on the beet farm?
2. What change is made in Naomi and Stephen's education after Uncle arrives to Slocan?
3. How does Naomi cope with the truth of her mother's life and death?
4. What is Naomi accused of doing with a kitten by one of her classmates?
5. What disturbing dreams does Naomi begin to have about her mother after she is released from the hospital?
6. As a child, how does Naomi cope with the relocation and the internment of her family?
7. What does Naomi know about the people that made up her community in Slocan?
8. While Naomi is recovering in the hospital, what does she remember about the schoolboys that had a penchant for making things suffer?
9. At the onset of the labor camps, what happens to Naomi's family?
10. After Germany surrenders in the war, what changes about life in Slocan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kogawa chooses to write this novel in a very unconventional way. Explain the structure of the novel and discuss whether or not this use of structure was effective in telling Naomi's story. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the children are growing up, Stephen says to Naomi that being Japanese made them "both the enemy and not the enemy." What did this quote mean to Naomi at the time of her childhood, and what does it mean to her now as an adult? How does a double-identity play into Naomi's character throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Gower had a very large impact on Naomi's life as a child. Explain the relationship that Naomi had with her neighbor and discuss the ways that this relationship affected Naomi's use of silence, and her ability to love.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)