Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the childhood story that Naomi was frequently told, what is the name of the little boy who appears to Grandmother and Grandfather?
2. What ethnicity is the officer in Naomi's dream?
3. What is the name of Naomi's older brother?
4. Which of the following is NOT a true statement about Naomi's childhood, according to Aunt Emily?
5. What is the name of the town that Naomi and her family are relocated to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are ghost towns, as they pertain to the novel?
2. What change is made in Naomi and Stephen's education after Uncle arrives to Slocan?
3. What happens to Grandmother Nakane after she begins to fall ill at Slocan?
4. What is the truth surrounding the reasons why Naomi's mother never returned home to Canada?
5. After sorting through the boxes in Obasan's attic, what does Naomi dream about?
6. What does Naomi remember about the time she spent in Grandmother Kato's house growing up?
7. What does Obasan keep stored in the package that Aunt Emily has sent to them?
8. What happened after Naomi's parents purchased her baby chicks?
9. What did Naomi see when she first arrived at her relocation hut as a child?
10. What happens to Grandmother Nakane's body after the funeral?
Essay Topic 1
Kogawa chooses to write this novel in a very unconventional way. Explain the structure of the novel and discuss whether or not this use of structure was effective in telling Naomi's story. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the men in Naomi's family had made their living on a boat and at sea. Explain the cultural and symbolic significance of water and boats throughout the text. What was taken away from the family when the government seized their boats?
Essay Topic 3
When Naomi is a child, she is frequently told the story of Momotaro.
Part1.) Describe the story of Momotaro as it was told to Naomi.
Part 2.) Compare / contrast Momotar's story with Naomi's childhood story. What was the same about their upbringings? What was different?
Part 3.) Explain how Momotaro's story has a much larger effect on Naomi as she is remembering it in her adulthood.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)