|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town that Naomi and her family are relocated to?
2. Which of the following is NOT described as filling Naomi's childhood home?
3. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
4. After the Nakane family is separated from Aunt Emily, how many years will they be apart?
5. Which recipe did Uncle spend years trying to perfect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Rough Lock Bill tell to Kenji and Naomi when they are out exploring the woods?
2. What happens to Grandmother Nakane's body after the funeral?
3. What are Sick Bays?
4. What is the condition of the internment camps, and why is Naomi's father sent there?
5. Who was Nomura-obasan, and how was Naomi asked to help her?
6. What improvements does Uncle make during the time that he spends in Slocan?
7. What evidence does Naomi find as an adult as to the welfare of her mother and grandmother after the war's end?
8. Who is Sigmund and how does he treat Naomi?
9. Why do Mr. Barker and his second wife come to visit Obasan in her home?
10. What is Naomi accused of doing with a kitten by one of her classmates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Naomi is a child, she is frequently told the story of Momotaro.
Part1.) Describe the story of Momotaro as it was told to Naomi.
Part 2.) Compare / contrast Momotar's story with Naomi's childhood story. What was the same about their upbringings? What was different?
Part 3.) Explain how Momotaro's story has a much larger effect on Naomi as she is remembering it in her adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Stephen struggles the most with his inability to balance culture.
Part 1) Compare / contrast Stephen's relationship to his culture as a child with his relationship to his culture as an adult.
Part 2.) Generate a list of events that highlight the way that Stephen began to pull away from his culture.
Part 3.) Theorize whether or not Stephen will return to his cultural roots based on the way that the novel ended.
Essay Topic 3
When Naomi is first sent to Obasan's house, she is repulsed by its condition.
Part 1.) Describe the physicality of Obasan's house as it was depicted in the text.
Part 2.) Explain the symbolism that Obasan's house has with memory. Why does Naomi's aversion to memory affect her comfort in Obasan's home?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)