Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
2. How many rooms does the hut that the Nakame family is relocated to have?
3. In Naomi's reccurring dream, what are the three Oriental women wearing?
4. Which character teaches Naomi that it was impolite to look anyone directly in the eyes?
5. What is the name of Naomi's older brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Obasan keep stored in the package that Aunt Emily has sent to them?
2. What change is made in Naomi and Stephen's education after Uncle arrives to Slocan?
3. How does the neighborhood say goodbye to the Nakane family when they are relocated from Slocan?
4. What happens to Grandmother Nakane after she begins to fall ill at Slocan?
5. Who is Sigmund and how does he treat Naomi?
6. What did Naomi see when she first arrived at her relocation hut as a child?
7. How does the family react to the news that the war is over?
8. How is Obasan described when Naomi goes to visit her?
9. What is the story of Momotaro?
10. What theories are spreading throughout the Nakane children about the welfare of their mother in Japan?
Throughout the novel, Kogawa uses many different forms of figurative language including personification, simile, metaphor, and onomatopoeia. Describe the ways that Kogawa uses figurative language to propel the momentum of the storyline, and explain the ways that these tools of language affect the reader's relationship with the text.
When Naomi is first sent to Obasan's house, she is repulsed by its condition.
Part 1.) Describe the physicality of Obasan's house as it was depicted in the text.
Part 2.) Explain the symbolism that Obasan's house has with memory. Why does Naomi's aversion to memory affect her comfort in Obasan's home?
Mr. Gower had a very large impact on Naomi's life as a child. Explain the relationship that Naomi had with her neighbor and discuss the ways that this relationship affected Naomi's use of silence, and her ability to love.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)