|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What article of Stephen's clothing is damaged by a racist classmate?
2. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
3. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
4. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
5. Who bought Obasan and Uncle a puppy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Naomi's Uncle die?
2. What change is made in Naomi and Stephen's education after Uncle arrives to Slocan?
3. What does Naomi remember about the time she spent in Grandmother Kato's house growing up?
4. What happened after Naomi's parents purchased her baby chicks?
5. What was interesting about the marriage between Naomi's parents?
6. At the onset of the labor camps, what happens to Naomi's family?
7. What is the condition of the internment camps, and why is Naomi's father sent there?
8. What does Obasan keep stored in the package that Aunt Emily has sent to them?
9. What was Naomi's relationship to Old Man Gower?
10. What types of items does Naomi find in the boxes in Obasan's attic, and what questions do these items raise in her mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kogawa chooses to write this novel in a very unconventional way. Explain the structure of the novel and discuss whether or not this use of structure was effective in telling Naomi's story. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the men in Naomi's family had made their living on a boat and at sea. Explain the cultural and symbolic significance of water and boats throughout the text. What was taken away from the family when the government seized their boats?
Essay Topic 3
The Nakane family spreads over three generations within the novel. Briefly characterize each of the three generations of the family, and describe their different relationships with their heritage, and their new home in Canada.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)