|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bought Obasan and Uncle a puppy?
2. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
3. How many rooms does the hut that the Nakame family is relocated to have?
4. When Obasan awakens Naomi in the middle of the night, where does she take her?
5. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the family have to be relocated from Slocan?
2. At the onset of the labor camps, what happens to Naomi's family?
3. What does Obasan keep stored in the package that Aunt Emily has sent to them?
4. What is the truth surrounding the reasons why Naomi's mother never returned home to Canada?
5. What happened when Kenji convinced Naomi to go on his raft for an adventure with him?
6. Who is Sigmund and how does he treat Naomi?
7. Why does Obasan awaken Naomi in the middle of the night and take her into the attic?
8. What theories are spreading throughout the Nakane children about the welfare of their mother in Japan?
9. What reaction does Naomi have to the newspaper clippings and letters that she finds of Aunt Emily's?
10. What happens to Grandmother Nakane after she begins to fall ill at Slocan?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her childhood, Naomi moved many times.
Part 1.) Compare / contrast Naomi's life in Slocan with her life in Granton.
Part 2.) Explain why Naomi believed that her life in Granton were the worst years of her life.
Part 3.) Explain the ways that community extended throughout Slocan and what Naomi's place in that society was.
Essay Topic 2
Colors act as very strong symbols throughout the novel, appearing both in Naomi's dreams and in her realities. Choose one color and generate a list of three times that this color was used throughout the novel. What do you think this color symbolizes in Natalie's story?
Essay Topic 3
Naomi cares for many young animals throughout the course of the novel. Briefly describe two of the caretaking roles that Naomi took on growing up and explain how caretaking provided an outlet for Naomi's grief.
This section contains 1,816 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)