|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
2. In Naomi's reccurring dream, what are the three Oriental women wearing?
3. After the traumatic event with the animals, what does Naomi remember entering her yard, preventing her from discussing the events with anyone?
4. What ethnicity is the officer in Naomi's dream?
5. Who bought Obasan and Uncle a puppy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the young mother tell Obasan about the delivery of her young baby and how they ended up on the relocation train?
2. What did Naomi see when she first arrived at her relocation hut as a child?
3. What happens to Grandmother Nakane after she begins to fall ill at Slocan?
4. How did Naomi's Uncle die?
5. How is Obasan described when Naomi goes to visit her?
6. How did Naomi react to the date that she went on with her student's widowed father?
7. What was Naomi's relationship to Old Man Gower?
8. What is Naomi accused of when she is at the bathhouse, and how does she respond?
9. How does the neighborhood say goodbye to the Nakane family when they are relocated from Slocan?
10. Why does the family have to be relocated from Slocan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Gower had a very large impact on Naomi's life as a child. Explain the relationship that Naomi had with her neighbor and discuss the ways that this relationship affected Naomi's use of silence, and her ability to love.
Essay Topic 2
There are many deaths throughout the novel, but Uncle's seems to be the most important. Describe the effect that Uncle's death has on Naomi's life and explain why Uncle's death may be considered the most important death in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
When Naomi is first sent to Obasan's house, she is repulsed by its condition.
Part 1.) Describe the physicality of Obasan's house as it was depicted in the text.
Part 2.) Explain the symbolism that Obasan's house has with memory. Why does Naomi's aversion to memory affect her comfort in Obasan's home?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)