|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symptom of sickness begins to plague Naomi's father during WW!!?
2. Which of the following is NOT included in the box that arrives from Aunt Emily?
3. In the childhood story that Naomi is frequently told, from what piece of fruit does the little boy appear from?
4. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
5. What event were the Japanese-Canadians subjected to, an event that Naomi remembers frequently experienced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Grandmother Nakane after she begins to fall ill at Slocan?
2. What story does Rough Lock Bill tell to Kenji and Naomi when they are out exploring the woods?
3. What did Naomi see when she first arrived at her relocation hut as a child?
4. Why do Mr. Barker and his second wife come to visit Obasan in her home?
5. How is Obasan described when Naomi goes to visit her?
6. How does the family react to the news that the war is over?
7. As a child, how does Naomi cope with the relocation and the internment of her family?
8. What does Naomi do with the frog that she finds in the swamp?
9. How does the neighborhood say goodbye to the Nakane family when they are relocated from Slocan?
10. Why does Naomi's mother leave her, and what is Naomi's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Naomi has a very strenuous relationship with her mother throughout the course of the novel. Create a timeline of Naomi's life in regards to her relationship with her mother. At what times did Naomi feel closest to her mother? At what times did she seem furthest away? What triggers were in place to prompt the changes that Naomi felt toward her mother?
Essay Topic 2When Naomi is first sent to Obasan's house, she is repulsed by its condition. Part 1.) Describe the physicality of Obasan's house as it was depicted in the text. Part 2.) Explain the symbolism that Obasan's house has with memory. Why does Naomi's aversion to memory affect her comfort in Obasan's home?
Essay Topic 3Throughout her childhood, Naomi moved many times. Part 1.) Compare / contrast Naomi's life in Slocan with her life in Granton. Part 2.) Explain why Naomi believed that her life in Granton were the worst years of her life. Part 3.) Explain the ways that community extended throughout Slocan and what Naomi's place in that society was.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)