|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who bought Obasan and Uncle a puppy?
(a) Naomi's parents.
(b) Naomi's grandparents.
(c) Aunt Emily.
2. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
(a) Naomi's father.
(b) Naomi's Uncle.
(c) Naomi's grandmother.
(d) Naomi's Obasan.
3. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
(a) She is haunted by the sounds of music.
(b) She remembers the music fondly.
(c) She does not remember the music.
(d) She is filled with fear when she hears the music.
4. What is the name of the town that Naomi and her family are relocated to?
5. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
Short Answer Questions
1. There is a woman on the relocation train holding a baby; what is wrong with it?
2. When Naomi was being sexually abused as a child, who does she remember telling?
3. How many rooms does the hut that the Nakame family is relocated to have?
4. After the Nakane family is separated from Aunt Emily, how many years will they be apart?
5. Which of the following best describes "Sick Bays"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Naomi do with the frog that she finds in the swamp?
2. Who was Nomura-obasan, and how was Naomi asked to help her?
3. While Naomi is recovering in the hospital, what does she remember about the schoolboys that had a penchant for making things suffer?
4. What happens to Grandmother Nakane's body after the funeral?
5. What does the young mother tell Obasan about the delivery of her young baby and how they ended up on the relocation train?
6. What are Sick Bays?
7. What is the condition of the internment camps, and why is Naomi's father sent there?
8. What happens between Stephen and his classmates to alert the family that racism is spreading through the schools?
9. What improvements does Uncle make during the time that he spends in Slocan?
10. How did Naomi react to the date that she went on with her student's widowed father?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)