|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her final letter to her sister, what interesting question does Aunt Emily ask?
(a) If her sister loved her husband.
(b) If her sister was pregnant.
(c) If her sister was ever coming home.
(d) If her sister was alive.
2. How old is Naomi in the last photo taken of her and her mother?
(a) An adult.
(b) A toddler.
(c) A teenager.
(d) An infant.
3. What does "Obasan" mean in Japanese?
4. As an adult, what does Naomi do for a living?
(a) She is a lawyer.
(b) She is a doctor.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is an artist.
5. After the traumatic event with the animals, what does Naomi remember entering her yard, preventing her from discussing the events with anyone?
(a) A gaggle of neighborhood gossips.
(b) Loud neighbor boys.
(c) A pack of wild dogs.
(d) A group of soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Naomi remember running to for help when she witnessed the traumatic event with her animals?
2. What part of a woman's dress is given to the mother on the train so that she can fashion a diaper for her baby?
3. Which country does Aunt Emily claim is the most racist toward the Japanese people?
4. Which recipe did Uncle spend years trying to perfect?
5. In the childhood story that Naomi was frequently told, what is the name of the little boy who appears to Grandmother and Grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Naomi find particularly irritating about Mr. and Mrs. Barker when they come to visit?
2. What is the truth surrounding the reasons why Naomi's mother never returned home to Canada?
3. Why does Naomi's mother leave her, and what is Naomi's reaction?
4. What happened after Naomi's parents purchased her baby chicks?
5. What reaction does Naomi have to the newspaper clippings and letters that she finds of Aunt Emily's?
6. Why does Obasan awaken Naomi in the middle of the night and take her into the attic?
7. Who goes back to visit the relocation camps in 1962, and what do they see there?
8. At the onset of the labor camps, what happens to Naomi's family?
9. What story does Rough Lock Bill tell to Kenji and Naomi when they are out exploring the woods?
10. How did Naomi react to the date that she went on with her student's widowed father?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)