|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country does Aunt Emily claim is the most racist toward the Japanese people?
2. What is the name of Naomi's older brother?
3. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
4. How are Naomi and her family transported to their relocation camp?
(a) By boat.
(b) By bus.
(c) By train.
(d) By car.
5. Who does Naomi remember staring at her while she begged for help after witnessing the traumatic event with her animals?
(a) Rough Bill Locke.
(b) Dr. Kato.
(c) Mrs. Sugimoto.
(d) Mr. Gower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Naomi's grandfather spend his life building?
2. In the childhood story that Naomi was frequently told, what is the name of the little boy who appears to Grandmother and Grandfather?
3. Which of the following objects does Naomi NOT find in one of Obasan's storage boxes?
4. What type of dance does Uncle perform when he appears in Naomi's dream?
5. What ethnicity is the officer in Naomi's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Obasan awaken Naomi in the middle of the night and take her into the attic?
2. What is significant about the way that Naomi and her mother are staring at the camera in the photo that Naomi finds?
3. What disturbing dreams does Naomi begin to have about her mother after she is released from the hospital?
4. What happens to Grandmother Nakane's body after the funeral?
5. What are Sick Bays?
6. Who is Sigmund and how does he treat Naomi?
7. How is Grandmother Nakane's funeral described in the novel?
8. What does Obasan keep stored in the package that Aunt Emily has sent to them?
9. What happens between Stephen and his classmates to alert the family that racism is spreading through the schools?
10. What significant event happens in the Nakane family on the day of their relocation, and how does Naomi respond?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)