|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is apathetic.
2. What traumatic incident does Naomi remember witnessing with the animals that she was raising?
(a) A mother animal killing its baby.
(b) A large hawk swooping down and stealing one of her animals.
(c) Her father killing one of her animals for dinner.
(d) Her brother drowning one of her animals.
3. What did Naomi's parents do that was unusual within their community?
(a) They decided not to be married.
(b) They adopted their children.
(c) They did not speak Japanese with their families.
(d) They did not have an arranged marriage.
4. What event were the Japanese-Canadians subjected to, an event that Naomi remembers frequently experienced?
(a) Sleep deprivation.
(b) Food depriviation.
(d) Water deprivation.
5. Who does Father ask to care for the family possessions in the case that he will be sent to internment?
(a) Aunt Emily.
(b) Grandfather Kato.
(c) Old Man Gower.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the childhood story that Naomi was frequently told, what is the name of the little boy who appears to Grandmother and Grandfather?
2. In the childhood story that Naomi is frequently told, from what piece of fruit does the little boy appear from?
3. Which country does Aunt Emily claim is the most racist toward the Japanese people?
4. In the opening chapter, what is Naomi's Uncle doing in the grass?
5. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Naomi's parents purchased her baby chicks?
2. What are ghost towns, as they pertain to the novel?
3. What significant event happens in the Nakane family on the day of their relocation, and how does Naomi respond?
4. After sorting through the boxes in Obasan's attic, what does Naomi dream about?
5. How does the family react to the news that the war is over?
6. Why does the family have to be relocated from Slocan?
7. What is Naomi accused of doing with a kitten by one of her classmates?
8. Why does Obasan awaken Naomi in the middle of the night and take her into the attic?
9. As a child, how does Naomi cope with the relocation and the internment of her family?
10. What did Naomi see when she first arrived at her relocation hut as a child?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)