|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the boy that Naomi remembers playing hide-and-seek with as a child?
2. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is confused.
3. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
(a) She does not remember the music.
(b) She remembers the music fondly.
(c) She is filled with fear when she hears the music.
(d) She is haunted by the sounds of music.
4. Which of the following is NOT included in the box that arrives from Aunt Emily?
(a) A scrapbook.
(b) Newspaper clippings.
(c) A stuffed animal.
(d) Old letters.
5. What is the name of the man who sexually abused Naomi when she was a child?
(a) Old Mr. Gower.
(b) Short Mr. Gower.
(c) Tall Mr. Gower.
(d) Young Mr. Gower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which recipe did Uncle spend years trying to perfect?
2. How does Naomi feel about her Aunt's revolutionary thinking?
3. What did Aunt Emily want to do for a living, but was never able to find work?
4. As an adult, what does Naomi do for a living?
5. How old is Naomi when she returns to the relocation camp after its liberation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
2. What is the truth surrounding the reasons why Naomi's mother never returned home to Canada?
3. Why have Naomi and Uncle Isamu traveled to the coulee in Granton?
4. After Germany surrenders in the war, what changes about life in Slocan?
5. What is Naomi accused of when she is at the bathhouse, and how does she respond?
6. What is significant about the way that Naomi and her mother are staring at the camera in the photo that Naomi finds?
7. What happens between Stephen and his classmates to alert the family that racism is spreading through the schools?
8. What happens to Grandmother Nakane's body after the funeral?
9. What does Aunt Emily say happened to most of the Japanese people who were liberated from internment in the 1940s?
10. What does Naomi remember about the time she spent in Grandmother Kato's house growing up?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)