|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
(a) Christmas Day.
(b) New Year's Day.
(d) Valentine's Day.
2. What origami animals does Naomi frequently fold?
(a) Paper frogs.
(b) Paper pigs.
(c) Paper horses.
(d) Paper cranes.
3. What is the name of Naomi's older brother?
4. Which of the following is NOT a true statement about Naomi's childhood, according to Aunt Emily?
(a) Naomi never spoke.
(b) Naomi never smiled.
(c) Naomi was frequently punished.
(d) Naomi was never punished.
5. Which child is identified as a "troublemaker" by Naomi?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Naomi's parents do that was unusual within their community?
2. What event were the Japanese-Canadians subjected to, an event that Naomi remembers frequently experienced?
3. How does Naomi feel about her Aunt's revolutionary thinking?
4. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
5. What does the Nakane family realize about their relocation camp when they return to visit after liberation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rest of the Nakane family's reaction to Aunt Emily's revolutionary thinking?
2. When Naomi opens the package from Aunt Emily, what do Aunt Emily's notes say?
3. What disturbing dreams does Naomi begin to have about her mother after she is released from the hospital?
4. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
5. As a child, how does Naomi cope with the relocation and the internment of her family?
6. How does the neighborhood say goodbye to the Nakane family when they are relocated from Slocan?
7. What was Naomi's relationship to Old Man Gower?
8. How did Naomi's Uncle die?
9. What did Naomi see when she first arrived at her relocation hut as a child?
10. Why does the family have to be relocated from Slocan?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)