|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Aunt Emily comes to visit Obasan and Naomi, who picks her up from the airport?
2. Who does Father ask to care for the family possessions in the case that he will be sent to internment?
(b) Aunt Emily.
(c) Grandfather Kato.
(d) Old Man Gower.
3. Which child is identified as a "troublemaker" by Naomi?
4. How many rooms does the hut that the Nakame family is relocated to have?
(a) Three rooms.
(b) One room.
(c) Four rooms.
(d) Two rooms.
5. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) Valentine's Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Naomi's mother abandoned her, where does Naomi remember her mother moved to?
2. What is interesting about the giant creature in Naomi's dream?
3. Who does Naomi remember staring at her while she begged for help after witnessing the traumatic event with her animals?
4. Which of the following characters does NOT return to the relocation camp after liberation?
5. What event were the Japanese-Canadians subjected to, an event that Naomi remembers frequently experienced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Naomi find particularly irritating about Mr. and Mrs. Barker when they come to visit?
2. What reaction does Naomi have to the newspaper clippings and letters that she finds of Aunt Emily's?
3. What does Naomi know about the people that made up her community in Slocan?
4. What is significant about the way that Naomi and her mother are staring at the camera in the photo that Naomi finds?
5. Who goes back to visit the relocation camps in 1962, and what do they see there?
6. What change is made in Naomi and Stephen's education after Uncle arrives to Slocan?
7. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
8. What evidence does Naomi find as an adult as to the welfare of her mother and grandmother after the war's end?
9. How did Naomi react to the date that she went on with her student's widowed father?
10. What is Naomi accused of when she is at the bathhouse, and how does she respond?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)