|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Naomi's grandfather spend his life building?
2. To whom does Naomi remember running to for help when she witnessed the traumatic event with her animals?
(a) To her Uncle.
(b) To her grandmother.
(c) To her mother.
(d) To her Obasan.
3. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
(a) She is filled with fear when she hears the music.
(b) She remembers the music fondly.
(c) She does not remember the music.
(d) She is haunted by the sounds of music.
4. What type of pastor is Nakayama-sensei?
5. Who bought Obasan and Uncle a puppy?
(a) Naomi's grandparents.
(b) Aunt Emily.
(c) Naomi's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family member abandoned Naomi when she was a child?
2. What is interesting about the giant creature in Naomi's dream?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT return to the relocation camp after liberation?
4. What is the name of Naomi's older brother?
5. How many rooms does the hut that the Nakame family is relocated to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Naomi accused of when she is at the bathhouse, and how does she respond?
2. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
3. What happened when Kenji convinced Naomi to go on his raft for an adventure with him?
4. What is the condition of the internment camps, and why is Naomi's father sent there?
5. What happens to Grandmother Nakane after she begins to fall ill at Slocan?
6. How is Obasan described when Naomi goes to visit her?
7. At the onset of the labor camps, what happens to Naomi's family?
8. After Germany surrenders in the war, what changes about life in Slocan?
9. What was life like for Naomi while she was living on the beet farm?
10. What improvements does Uncle make during the time that he spends in Slocan?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)