|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the opening chapter, what is Naomi's Uncle doing in the grass?
2. In her final letter to her sister, what interesting question does Aunt Emily ask?
(a) If her sister was ever coming home.
(b) If her sister was pregnant.
(c) If her sister loved her husband.
(d) If her sister was alive.
3. How old is Naomi in the last photo taken of her and her mother?
(a) An adult.
(b) A toddler.
(c) An infant.
(d) A teenager.
4. How does Stephen feel about his Japanese heritage?
(a) He believes it is an impediment to his life.
(b) He does not care either way about being Japanese.
(c) He is proud of his heritage and wants to stand up for it.
(d) He thinks that the Japanese people are better than all others.
5. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes "Sick Bays"?
2. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
3. Which recipe did Uncle spend years trying to perfect?
4. Who does Father ask to care for the family possessions in the case that he will be sent to internment?
5. What does Naomi's husband do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the way that Naomi and her mother are staring at the camera in the photo that Naomi finds?
2. What disturbing dreams does Naomi begin to have about her mother after she is released from the hospital?
3. What happens between Stephen and his classmates to alert the family that racism is spreading through the schools?
4. What improvements does Uncle make during the time that he spends in Slocan?
5. How did Naomi react to the date that she went on with her student's widowed father?
6. What does Naomi remember about the time she spent in Grandmother Kato's house growing up?
7. What significant event happens in the Nakane family on the day of their relocation, and how does Naomi respond?
8. Who goes back to visit the relocation camps in 1962, and what do they see there?
9. Who was Nomura-obasan, and how was Naomi asked to help her?
10. What types of items does Naomi find in the boxes in Obasan's attic, and what questions do these items raise in her mind?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)