|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which recipe did Uncle spend years trying to perfect?
(a) His bread recipe.
(b) His sticky rice recipe.
(c) HIs barbequed ribs recipe.
(d) His chocolate chip cookie recipe.
2. Which character teaches Naomi that it was impolite to look anyone directly in the eyes?
(a) Naomi's Uncle.
(b) Naomi's mother.
(c) Naomi's father.
(d) Naomi's Obasan.
3. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
4. How many rooms does the hut that the Nakame family is relocated to have?
(a) Three rooms.
(b) One room.
(c) Four rooms.
(d) Two rooms.
5. There is a woman on the relocation train holding a baby; what is wrong with it?
(a) The baby starts choking on food.
(b) Nothing was wrong with the baby.
(c) The baby toddles off and falls.
(d) The baby was born premature.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does the novel take place?
2. When Aunt Emily is giving the speech about racism throughout the world, what reaction does Naomi have?
3. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
4. What is interesting about the giant creature in Naomi's dream?
5. Which member of the Nakane family is the only member who does not play a musical instrument?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was life like for Naomi while she was living on the beet farm?
2. What is significant about the way that Naomi and her mother are staring at the camera in the photo that Naomi finds?
3. Who was Nomura-obasan, and how was Naomi asked to help her?
4. What is Naomi accused of doing with a kitten by one of her classmates?
5. What happened after Naomi's parents purchased her baby chicks?
6. Why does the family have to be relocated from Slocan?
7. What did Naomi see when she first arrived at her relocation hut as a child?
8. How does the neighborhood say goodbye to the Nakane family when they are relocated from Slocan?
9. What story does Rough Lock Bill tell to Kenji and Naomi when they are out exploring the woods?
10. How do Obasan and other women on the train react to the young mother's birth story?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)