|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
(a) Naomi's grandmother.
(b) Naomi's Obasan.
(c) Naomi's Uncle.
(d) Naomi's father.
2. What type of flower does Uncle have in his mouth when he appears in Naomi's dream?
(a) A lily.
(b) A tulip.
(c) A daisy.
(d) A rose.
3. Who does Naomi remember staring at her while she begged for help after witnessing the traumatic event with her animals?
(a) Mr. Gower.
(b) Rough Bill Locke.
(c) Dr. Kato.
(d) Mrs. Sugimoto.
4. How does Naomi feel about the racism she experienced as a child, now as an adult?
(a) She is furious about the racism.
(b) She is apathetic to the racism.
(c) She is confused by the racism.
(d) She is amused by the racism.
5. What is the name of the boy that Naomi remembers playing hide-and-seek with as a child?
Short Answer Questions
1. What toy does Naomi play with for the duration of the relocation train ride?
2. What symptom of sickness begins to plague Naomi's father during WW!!?
3. Which of the following is NOT described as filling Naomi's childhood home?
4. For how many years are Naomi and her family in relocation?
5. Which character repeats the phrase, "Everybody dies some day" over and over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the truth surrounding the reasons why Naomi's mother never returned home to Canada?
2. What was Naomi's relationship to Old Man Gower?
3. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
4. At the onset of the labor camps, what happens to Naomi's family?
5. How did Naomi's Uncle die?
6. While Naomi is recovering in the hospital, what does she remember about the schoolboys that had a penchant for making things suffer?
7. What does Naomi do with the frog that she finds in the swamp?
8. How does Naomi cope with the truth of her mother's life and death?
9. How do Naomi and Stephen adjust to their new schools in Granton?
10. Why does Naomi's mother leave her, and what is Naomi's reaction?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)