|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symptom of sickness begins to plague Naomi's father during WW!!?
2. Which of the following is NOT included in the box that arrives from Aunt Emily?
(a) A stuffed animal.
(b) A scrapbook.
(c) Newspaper clippings.
(d) Old letters.
3. In the childhood story that Naomi was frequently told, what is the name of the little boy who appears to Grandmother and Grandfather?
4. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
(a) She is filled with fear when she hears the music.
(b) She does not remember the music.
(c) She remembers the music fondly.
(d) She is haunted by the sounds of music.
5. In the childhood story that Naomi is frequently told, from what piece of fruit does the little boy appear from?
(a) A banana.
(b) A cherry.
(c) A pineapple.
(d) A peach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Naomi remember seeing a man wink at her when she was a small child?
2. What is the name of Naomi's older brother?
3. Which character repeats the phrase, "Everybody dies some day" over and over?
4. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
5. What ethnicity is Naomi Nakane?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Grandmother Nakane's funeral described in the novel?
2. At the onset of the labor camps, what happens to Naomi's family?
3. How do Obasan and other women on the train react to the young mother's birth story?
4. Why have Naomi and Uncle Isamu traveled to the coulee in Granton?
5. After Germany surrenders in the war, what changes about life in Slocan?
6. What speech does Aunt Emily give to Naomi about racism, and what is Naomi's response?
7. What types of items does Naomi find in the boxes in Obasan's attic, and what questions do these items raise in her mind?
8. Why does Obasan awaken Naomi in the middle of the night and take her into the attic?
9. What theories are spreading throughout the Nakane children about the welfare of their mother in Japan?
10. While Naomi is recovering in the hospital, what does she remember about the schoolboys that had a penchant for making things suffer?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)