|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is interesting about the giant creature in Naomi's dream?
(a) It is invisible.
(b) It is cartooned.
(c) It is robotic.
(d) It is a giant stuffed animal.
2. There is a woman on the relocation train holding a baby; what is wrong with it?
(a) The baby toddles off and falls.
(b) The baby was born premature.
(c) The baby starts choking on food.
(d) Nothing was wrong with the baby.
3. Which member of the Nakane family is the only member who does not play a musical instrument?
4. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
(a) Naomi's father.
(b) Naomi's grandmother.
(c) Naomi's Uncle.
(d) Naomi's Obasan.
5. Which character repeats the phrase, "Everybody dies some day" over and over?
(a) Aunt Emily.
(c) Grandpa Kato.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Naomi help Nomura-obasan use while she is living with the Nakane family?
2. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
3. What does "Obasan" mean in Japanese?
4. Which of the following characters is NOT held in a SIck Bay?
5. What toy does Naomi play with for the duration of the relocation train ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the neighborhood say goodbye to the Nakane family when they are relocated from Slocan?
2. How did Naomi's Uncle die?
3. How did Naomi react to the date that she went on with her student's widowed father?
4. After Germany surrenders in the war, what changes about life in Slocan?
5. As a child, how does Naomi cope with the relocation and the internment of her family?
6. At the onset of the labor camps, what happens to Naomi's family?
7. How does Naomi cope with the truth of her mother's life and death?
8. What does Naomi find particularly irritating about Mr. and Mrs. Barker when they come to visit?
9. What types of items does Naomi find in the boxes in Obasan's attic, and what questions do these items raise in her mind?
10. How do Obasan and other women on the train react to the young mother's birth story?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)