|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe Obasan as Naomi sees her?
(a) Obasan is going blind.
(b) Obasan has a gummy mouth.
(c) Obasan has a hump growing on her back.
(d) Obasan is almost deaf.
2. To whom does Naomi remember running to for help when she witnessed the traumatic event with her animals?
(a) To her grandmother.
(b) To her Obasan.
(c) To her Uncle.
(d) To her mother.
3. What symptom of sickness begins to plague Naomi's father during WW!!?
4. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
5. Which of the following best describes the conditions of the internment camps?
(a) Much food, but little hygiene.
(b) Little food, and little hygiene.
(c) Little food, but much hygiene.
(d) Much food, and much hygiene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Father ask to care for the family possessions in the case that he will be sent to internment?
2. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
3. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
4. How old is Naomi in the last photo taken of her and her mother?
5. When Aunt Emily is giving the speech about racism throughout the world, what reaction does Naomi have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Obasan awaken Naomi in the middle of the night and take her into the attic?
2. What disturbing dreams does Naomi begin to have about her mother after she is released from the hospital?
3. What happens between Stephen and his classmates to alert the family that racism is spreading through the schools?
4. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
5. How did Naomi react to the date that she went on with her student's widowed father?
6. What is the truth surrounding the reasons why Naomi's mother never returned home to Canada?
7. While Naomi is recovering in the hospital, what does she remember about the schoolboys that had a penchant for making things suffer?
8. What evidence does Naomi find as an adult as to the welfare of her mother and grandmother after the war's end?
9. What are Sick Bays?
10. What theories are spreading throughout the Nakane children about the welfare of their mother in Japan?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)