|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Naomi remember running to for help when she witnessed the traumatic event with her animals?
(a) To her Obasan.
(b) To her grandmother.
(c) To her mother.
(d) To her Uncle.
2. How many children do Obasan and Uncle have?
3. What is interesting about the giant creature in Naomi's dream?
(a) It is cartooned.
(b) It is robotic.
(c) It is invisible.
(d) It is a giant stuffed animal.
4. In Naomi's reccurring dream, what are the three Oriental women wearing?
(a) They are wrapped in the Japanese flag.
(b) Western-style jeans and t-shirts.
(c) Ceremonial kimonos.
(d) Nothing, they are naked.
5. What toy does Naomi play with for the duration of the relocation train ride?
(a) A coloring book.
(b) A stuffed bear.
(c) A doll.
(d) A jigsaw puzzle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Naomi's grandfather spend his life building?
2. For how many years are Naomi and her family in relocation?
3. What does Naomi help Nomura-obasan use while she is living with the Nakane family?
4. What article of Stephen's clothing is damaged by a racist classmate?
5. In the childhood story that Naomi was frequently told, what is the name of the little boy who appears to Grandmother and Grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the way that Naomi and her mother are staring at the camera in the photo that Naomi finds?
2. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
3. What happens to Grandmother Nakane after she begins to fall ill at Slocan?
4. Who goes back to visit the relocation camps in 1962, and what do they see there?
5. What was life like for Naomi while she was living on the beet farm?
6. What does Naomi do with the frog that she finds in the swamp?
7. How is Grandmother Nakane's funeral described in the novel?
8. Who was Nomura-obasan, and how was Naomi asked to help her?
9. What is the truth surrounding the reasons why Naomi's mother never returned home to Canada?
10. How does the neighborhood say goodbye to the Nakane family when they are relocated from Slocan?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)