|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies in Naomi's family, prompting her to visit her Obasan?
(a) Her Father.
(b) Her Aunt.
(c) Her Mother.
(d) Her Uncle.
2. After the Nakane family is separated from Aunt Emily, how many years will they be apart?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Fifteen years.
3. How are Naomi and her family transported to their relocation camp?
(a) By train.
(b) By boat.
(c) By bus.
(d) By car.
4. What event were the Japanese-Canadians subjected to, an event that Naomi remembers frequently experienced?
(a) Food depriviation.
(b) Water deprivation.
(d) Sleep deprivation.
5. The giant creature in Naomi's dream is a mix of what two animals?
(a) A bird and a dog.
(b) A dog and a lion.
(c) A bird and a bear.
(d) A lion and a bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
2. What is interesting about the giant creature in Naomi's dream?
3. What insect swarms the house that the Nakane family is relocated to?
4. Which member of the Nakane family is the only member who does not play a musical instrument?
5. How does Naomi feel about her Aunt's revolutionary thinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family react to the news that the war is over?
2. Why does Obasan awaken Naomi in the middle of the night and take her into the attic?
3. What types of items does Naomi find in the boxes in Obasan's attic, and what questions do these items raise in her mind?
4. What does Naomi remember about the time she spent in Grandmother Kato's house growing up?
5. What is Naomi accused of doing with a kitten by one of her classmates?
6. What happens between Stephen and his classmates to alert the family that racism is spreading through the schools?
7. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
8. What change is made in Naomi and Stephen's education after Uncle arrives to Slocan?
9. What does Aunt Emily say happened to most of the Japanese people who were liberated from internment in the 1940s?
10. What does Naomi do with the frog that she finds in the swamp?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)