|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT included in the box that arrives from Aunt Emily?
(a) A stuffed animal.
(b) Newspaper clippings.
(c) Old letters.
(d) A scrapbook.
2. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
3. Which generation of Japanese-Canadians are the Nisei?
(a) Second generation.
(b) Fourth generation.
(c) Third generation.
(d) First generation.
4. What does the Nakane family realize about their relocation camp when they return to visit after liberation?
(a) That the place is an even mix of Japanese and French culture.
(b) That the place is now full of Japanese culture.
(c) That the place is full of anti-Japanese propaganda.
(d) That the place is now erased of all Japanese culture.
5. How much did the government offer to pay Grandpa Kato for his Cadillac during WWII?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) Thirty dollars.
(c) Three thousand dollars.
(d) Three dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is interesting about the giant creature in Naomi's dream?
2. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
3. Who does Father ask to care for the family possessions in the case that he will be sent to internment?
4. As an adult, what does Naomi do for a living?
5. When Aunt Emily comes to visit Obasan and Naomi, who picks her up from the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Naomi remember about the time she spent in Grandmother Kato's house growing up?
2. How does Naomi cope with the truth of her mother's life and death?
3. Why does Naomi's mother leave her, and what is Naomi's reaction?
4. What is the story of Momotaro?
5. How did Naomi's Uncle die?
6. What types of items does Naomi find in the boxes in Obasan's attic, and what questions do these items raise in her mind?
7. Why does the family have to be relocated from Slocan?
8. While Naomi is recovering in the hospital, what does she remember about the schoolboys that had a penchant for making things suffer?
9. As a child, how does Naomi cope with the relocation and the internment of her family?
10. How is Grandmother Nakane's funeral described in the novel?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)