|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Naomi's parents do that was unusual within their community?
(a) They decided not to be married.
(b) They did not speak Japanese with their families.
(c) They did not have an arranged marriage.
(d) They adopted their children.
2. Which recipe did Uncle spend years trying to perfect?
(a) His bread recipe.
(b) His sticky rice recipe.
(c) HIs barbequed ribs recipe.
(d) His chocolate chip cookie recipe.
3. What origami animals does Naomi frequently fold?
(a) Paper frogs.
(b) Paper horses.
(c) Paper pigs.
(d) Paper cranes.
4. What type of exercises does Father send to Stephen while he is away?
(a) Math exercises.
(b) Language exercises.
(c) Music exercises.
(d) Science exercises.
5. As an adult, what does Naomi do for a living?
(a) She is a doctor.
(b) She is a lawyer.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is an artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Naomi remember running to for help when she witnessed the traumatic event with her animals?
2. What toy does Naomi play with for the duration of the relocation train ride?
3. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
4. When Aunt Emily is giving the speech about racism throughout the world, what reaction does Naomi have?
5. When Naomi was being sexually abused as a child, who does she remember telling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Emily say happened to most of the Japanese people who were liberated from internment in the 1940s?
2. What reaction does Naomi have to the newspaper clippings and letters that she finds of Aunt Emily's?
3. What is the condition of the internment camps, and why is Naomi's father sent there?
4. What story does Rough Lock Bill tell to Kenji and Naomi when they are out exploring the woods?
5. What change is made in Naomi and Stephen's education after Uncle arrives to Slocan?
6. What is the truth surrounding the reasons why Naomi's mother never returned home to Canada?
7. What happened when Kenji convinced Naomi to go on his raft for an adventure with him?
8. After sorting through the boxes in Obasan's attic, what does Naomi dream about?
9. What evidence does Naomi find as an adult as to the welfare of her mother and grandmother after the war's end?
10. What does the young mother tell Obasan about the delivery of her young baby and how they ended up on the relocation train?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)