|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Naomi's dream, who is with her on the mountain?
(a) Her brother.
(b) An unidentified man.
(c) Her Obasan.
(d) Her sister.
2. What did Aunt Emily want to do for a living, but was never able to find work?
(a) She wanted to be a painter.
(b) She wanted to be a dancer.
(c) She wanted to be a teacher.
(d) She wanted to be a political activist.
3. What symptom of sickness begins to plague Naomi's father during WW!!?
4. Which of the following is NOT included in the box that arrives from Aunt Emily?
(a) Old letters.
(b) A stuffed animal.
(c) Newspaper clippings.
(d) A scrapbook.
5. After the Nakane family is separated from Aunt Emily, how many years will they be apart?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Aunt Emily comes to visit Obasan and Naomi, who picks her up from the airport?
2. When Naomi was being sexually abused as a child, who does she remember telling?
3. In what country does the novel take place?
4. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
5. How old is Nomura-obasan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What improvements does Uncle make during the time that he spends in Slocan?
2. How do Naomi and Stephen adjust to their new schools in Granton?
3. What change is made in Naomi and Stephen's education after Uncle arrives to Slocan?
4. What happened after Naomi's parents purchased her baby chicks?
5. What does Obasan keep stored in the package that Aunt Emily has sent to them?
6. What was life like for Naomi while she was living on the beet farm?
7. What is the truth surrounding the reasons why Naomi's mother never returned home to Canada?
8. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
9. Why does Naomi's mother leave her, and what is Naomi's reaction?
10. What does Naomi find particularly irritating about Mr. and Mrs. Barker when they come to visit?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)