|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes "Sick Bays"?
(a) Vacation beaches.
(b) Holding areas.
(c) Language classrooms.
(d) Hospital wards.
2. At whose home does Naomi remember spending most of her time growing up?
(a) At Grandmother Nakane's.
(b) At Obasan's.
(c) At Aunt Emily's.
(d) At Grandmother Kato's.
3. The giant creature in Naomi's dream is a mix of what two animals?
(a) A bird and a dog.
(b) A lion and a bear.
(c) A bird and a bear.
(d) A dog and a lion.
4. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
5. How old is Nomura-obasan?
Short Answer Questions
1. What article of Stephen's clothing is damaged by a racist classmate?
2. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
3. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
4. Which family member abandoned Naomi when she was a child?
5. What part of a woman's dress is given to the mother on the train so that she can fashion a diaper for her baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Grandmother Nakane after she begins to fall ill at Slocan?
2. Why does Obasan awaken Naomi in the middle of the night and take her into the attic?
3. What reaction does Naomi have to the newspaper clippings and letters that she finds of Aunt Emily's?
4. What did Naomi see when she first arrived at her relocation hut as a child?
5. What does Naomi remember about the time she spent in Grandmother Kato's house growing up?
6. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
7. What is Naomi accused of doing with a kitten by one of her classmates?
8. What are ghost towns, as they pertain to the novel?
9. After sorting through the boxes in Obasan's attic, what does Naomi dream about?
10. When Naomi opens the package from Aunt Emily, what do Aunt Emily's notes say?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)