|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen feel about his Japanese heritage?
(a) He believes it is an impediment to his life.
(b) He is proud of his heritage and wants to stand up for it.
(c) He thinks that the Japanese people are better than all others.
(d) He does not care either way about being Japanese.
2. What traumatic incident does Naomi remember witnessing with the animals that she was raising?
(a) Her father killing one of her animals for dinner.
(b) Her brother drowning one of her animals.
(c) A mother animal killing its baby.
(d) A large hawk swooping down and stealing one of her animals.
3. Who dies in Naomi's family, prompting her to visit her Obasan?
(a) Her Mother.
(b) Her Aunt.
(c) Her Uncle.
(d) Her Father.
4. What event were the Japanese-Canadians subjected to, an event that Naomi remembers frequently experienced?
(b) Food depriviation.
(c) Water deprivation.
(d) Sleep deprivation.
5. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is apathetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the government offer to pay Grandpa Kato for his Cadillac during WWII?
2. Which of the following characters is NOT held in a SIck Bay?
3. What is interesting about the giant creature in Naomi's dream?
4. What part of a woman's dress is given to the mother on the train so that she can fashion a diaper for her baby?
5. Which of the following is NOT included in the box that arrives from Aunt Emily?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Naomi react to the date that she went on with her student's widowed father?
2. How does Naomi cope with the truth of her mother's life and death?
3. Who was Nomura-obasan, and how was Naomi asked to help her?
4. What improvements does Uncle make during the time that he spends in Slocan?
5. What is the story of Momotaro?
6. What theories are spreading throughout the Nakane children about the welfare of their mother in Japan?
7. Why does Obasan awaken Naomi in the middle of the night and take her into the attic?
8. What preparations are made for Uncle's arrival in Slocan, and how is he greeted?
9. What is the condition of the internment camps, and why is Naomi's father sent there?
10. As a child, how does Naomi cope with the relocation and the internment of her family?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)