|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen accidentally break during his family's goodbye party?
(a) His father's flute.
(b) The hut's front window.
(c) His sister's doll.
(d) His mother's record.
2. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
(a) That he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.
(b) That it is the only way to tell who is good and who is evil.
(c) That everyone who sees the difference in skin color is racist.
(d) That it is an overrated way of defining people.
3. What does Obasan say strengthens humans?
(c) Hard experiences.
(d) Physical battles.
4. Which of the following characters does NOT come to say goodbye to the Nakane family when they move?
5. What does Rough Lock verbally notice about Naomi?
(a) That she is very quiet.
(b) That she is very smart.
(c) That she is very sweet.
(d) That she is very young.
6. Which of the following is NOT a plight that the Nakane family suffer while living on the farm?
(a) Insect infestation.
(b) Long work hours.
(c) No clean water.
(d) Torrential downpouring rain.
7. What is the name of Mr. Barker's daughter?
8. How does Stephen spend his time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
9. With whom is Naomi still in contact from her Slocan community?
(b) No one.
(d) Rough Lock Bill.
10. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
(a) Profession of faith.
(b) A baptism.
(c) A wedding.
11. In what do the Nakane family pack their belongings when they are relocated from Slocan?
(a) In wooden boxes.
(b) In the backseat of a car.
(c) In garbage bags.
(d) In suitcases.
12. Who attempts to comb the tangles out of Naomi's hair while she is recovering?
(a) A nurse.
(c) Rough Lock.
13. What does Stephen tell Naomi about where their father is staying in New Denver?
(a) That he is staying in a hotel.
(b) That he is staying in a church.
(c) That he is staying in an elementary school.
(d) That he is staying in a hospital.
14. How do Uncle and Obasan greet each other at their reunification?
(a) They shook hands.
(b) They kissed one another.
(c) They hugged one another.
(d) They bowed to one another.
15. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
(a) The drums.
(b) The flute.
(c) The piano.
(d) The guitar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Naomi's family be relocated to after they leave Slocan?
2. What instrument does Stephen begin to play when he hears that the war is over?
3. What is the board game that Stephen played with while he was growing up?
4. On the day that the family makes their move from Slocan, which family member disappears in the night?
5. How many people does Aunt Emily know of that returned to Vancouver in the 1940s?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)