|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what newspaper section does Obasan wrap her fragile belongings before the move from Slocan?
(a) The sports section.
(b) The religion section.
(c) The comics section.
(d) The opinons section.
2. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
3. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
(a) That he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.
(b) That it is the only way to tell who is good and who is evil.
(c) That everyone who sees the difference in skin color is racist.
(d) That it is an overrated way of defining people.
4. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
(a) The drums.
(b) The piano.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The flute.
5. With whom is Naomi still in contact from her Slocan community?
(a) Rough Lock Bill.
(b) No one.
6. What part of the swamp animal's body is broken when Naomi takes it home?
(a) Its neck.
(b) Its back.
(c) Its wing.
(d) Its leg.
7. Which word is the best translation of the Japanese word "wagamama" used in the novel?
8. Where does Stephen attend college?
(a) In Toronto.
(b) In New York.
(c) In Boston.
(d) In Vancouver.
9. Who tells the children that their father has died?
(d) Rough Lock Bill.
10. What is the name of the man who owns the farm that the Nakane family is relocated to?
(a) Mr. Gower.
(b) Mr. Billington.
(c) Mr. Barker.
(d) Mr. Nakane.
11. When the family is relocated, where is Father asked to report?
(a) To Vancouver.
(b) To Slocan.
(c) To New Denver.
(d) To Alberta.
12. On the day that the family makes their move from Slocan, which family member disappears in the night?
13. Which of the following best describes the home that the Nakane family live in while on the farm?
(a) A pig pen.
(b) A chicken coop.
(c) A horse stable.
(d) A dog house.
14. Besides moving back to Japan, what other option do families have in 1945?
(a) Moving east of the Rocky Mountains.
(b) Moving west of the Rocky Mountains.
(c) Moving south of the Rocky Mountains.
(d) Moving north of the Rocky Mountains.
15. How many people in Naomi's family are ever returned their land by the government?
(a) Only Naomi's father is returned his land.
(b) Only Naomi's grandparents are returned their land.
(c) Only Naomi's Obasan is returned her land.
(d) None of Naomi's family is returned their land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT come to say goodbye to the Nakane family when they move?
2. Who from Slocan is actively trying to keep their community together?
3. How far away way is Grandmother Nakane's internment camp from Slocan?
4. In what do the Nakane family pack their belongings when they are relocated from Slocan?
5. Who attempts to comb the tangles out of Naomi's hair while she is recovering?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)