|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character speaks the words, "She is here. She is not here. She is reaching out to me with a touch deceptive as down, with hands and fingers that wave like grass around my feet and her hair falls and falls and falls from her head like streamers of paper rain"?
2. Which family member is released from internment and returns to the family hut?
(a) Naomi's father.
(b) Naomi's Grandfather Nakane.
(c) Naomi's Grandmother Kato.
(d) Naomi's Grandfather Kato.
3. What instrument does Stephen begin to play when he hears that the war is over?
(a) The tambourine.
(b) The piano.
(c) The flute.
(d) The drums.
4. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
(a) The flute.
(b) The guitar.
(c) The drums.
(d) The piano.
5. What did Rough Lock say the last Indian's voice sounded like?
(a) A horse whinnying.
(b) A dog barking.
(c) An eagle soaring.
(d) A bird chirping.
6. When Stephen is going to fight the two boys who are calling him names at school, who intervenes to stop the conflict?
(a) A young Japanese boy.
(b) A missionary woman.
(c) A school teacher.
(d) A priest.
7. With whom does Naomi travel into the woods on the day that they meet Rough Lock?
8. Who from Slocan is actively trying to keep their community together?
(a) Rough Lock Bill.
9. How far away way is Grandmother Nakane's internment camp from Slocan?
(a) Two hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Five hours.
10. What part of the swamp animal's body is broken when Naomi takes it home?
(a) Its leg.
(b) Its wing.
(c) Its back.
(d) Its neck.
11. How is Grandmother Nakane's body processed after her death?
(a) It is buried at sea.
(b) It is buried in the ground.
(c) It is mummified.
(d) It is cremated.
12. Who does Naomi dream is attempting to communicate with her?
(a) Her Uncle.
(b) Her Father.
(c) Her Mother.
(d) Her Grandfather.
13. What does Rough Lock save Naomi from?
(a) Falling into a ditch.
14. What does Stephen accidentally break during his family's goodbye party?
(a) The hut's front window.
(b) His father's flute.
(c) His mother's record.
(d) His sister's doll.
15. What does the Nakane family eat to stay warm at night when they are living on the farm?
(a) Black peppercorns.
(b) Cloves of garlic.
(c) Green jalapeno peppers.
(d) Whole red onions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Uncle bring for Stephen?
2. How do Uncle and Obasan greet each other at their reunification?
3. Which word is the best translation of the Japanese word "wagamama" used in the novel?
4. What is Naomi concerned might have happened to her mother when she returned to Japan?
5. During which season does Uncle come to stay with the family in Slocan?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)