|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion are the Nakane Grandparents?
2. How does Naomi's father react when the war ends?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is still deeply saddened.
(c) He is suspicisous of what this will mean for his family.
(d) He is elated and overjoyed.
3. Which of the following are NOT harvested in the Nakane garden?
4. What does Obasan say strengthens humans?
(c) Physical battles.
(d) Hard experiences.
5. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
6. With whom is Naomi still in contact from her Slocan community?
(b) Rough Lock Bill.
(c) No one.
7. What is Rough Lock's real name?
8. What is Naomi concerned might have happened to her mother when she returned to Japan?
(a) She is concerned that her mother became wealthy.
(b) She is concerned that her mother was kidnapped.
(c) She is concerned that her mother drown.
(d) She is concerned that her mother starved.
9. What does Naomi overhear Obasan doing when Aunt Emily tells her that she thinks it's time to tell the children the truth?
(a) She hears Obasan screaming.
(b) She hears Obasan singing.
(c) She hears Obasan crying.
(d) She hears Obasan praying.
10. What does Stephen accidentally break during his family's goodbye party?
(a) His mother's record.
(b) The hut's front window.
(c) His sister's doll.
(d) His father's flute.
11. What is the name of the man who owns the farm that the Nakane family is relocated to?
(a) Mr. Gower.
(b) Mr. Nakane.
(c) Mr. Billington.
(d) Mr. Barker.
12. What instrument does Uncle bring for Stephen?
13. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
(a) Profession of faith.
(c) A baptism.
(d) A wedding.
14. Which of the following is the family NOT allowed to bring with them when they move from Slocan?
(a) Their clothing.
(b) Their kitchenware.
(c) Their bedding.
(d) Their books.
15. How does Grandfather Nakane die?
(a) From a stroke.
(b) From cancer.
(c) From a heart attack.
(d) From old age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Naomi dream is attempting to communicate with her?
2. Which character speaks the words, "She is here. She is not here. She is reaching out to me with a touch deceptive as down, with hands and fingers that wave like grass around my feet and her hair falls and falls and falls from her head like streamers of paper rain"?
3. Who tells the children that Grandfather Nakane has died?
4. In what do the Nakane family pack their belongings when they are relocated from Slocan?
5. Where does Stephen attend college?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)