|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stephen attend college?
(a) In New York.
(b) In Toronto.
(c) In Vancouver.
(d) In Boston.
2. Which of the following is the family NOT allowed to bring with them when they move from Slocan?
(a) Their clothing.
(b) Their books.
(c) Their bedding.
(d) Their kitchenware.
3. What does Obasan bring Naomi when she comes to visit as she is recovering?
(b) Clean clothes.
(c) A letter from her mother.
(d) A doll.
4. With whom does Naomi travel into the woods on the day that they meet Rough Lock?
5. What does Rough Lock save Naomi from?
(c) Falling into a ditch.
6. In what newspaper section does Obasan wrap her fragile belongings before the move from Slocan?
(a) The opinons section.
(b) The religion section.
(c) The sports section.
(d) The comics section.
7. Which of the following does Obasan say is strengthened by fire?
(a) Samurai swords.
(b) Blacksmith tools.
(c) Soldier rifles.
(d) Ninji nunchucks.
8. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
(a) A wedding.
(b) Profession of faith.
(d) A baptism.
9. What religion are the Nakane Grandparents?
10. Who tells the children that Grandfather Nakane has died?
(d) Aunt Emily.
11. What does Stephen assume has happened to his mother in Japan?
(a) That she has amnesia.
(b) That she has become evil.
(c) That she has forgotten about them.
(d) That she has died.
12. What type of bird do the children see when they climb the bluff in spring?
(a) A princebird.
(b) A kingbird.
(c) A jokerbird.
(d) A queenbird.
13. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
(a) Her clothing.
(b) Her money.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A kitten.
14. What instrument does Uncle bring for Stephen?
15. What does Stephen accidentally break during his family's goodbye party?
(a) The hut's front window.
(b) His sister's doll.
(c) His mother's record.
(d) His father's flute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT come to say goodbye to the Nakane family when they move?
2. What instrument does Stephen begin to play when he hears that the war is over?
3. Who tells the children that their father has died?
4. Who from Slocan is actively trying to keep their community together?
5. Which of the following does Naomi NOT view as a rule to proper Japanese living?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)