|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
(a) Profession of faith.
(c) A baptism.
(d) A wedding.
2. What does Rough Lock verbally notice about Naomi?
(a) That she is very smart.
(b) That she is very quiet.
(c) That she is very sweet.
(d) That she is very young.
3. What is Rough Lock's real name?
4. What is the name of Naomi's mother's record that is accidentally destroyed?
(a) "Silver Threads Among the Gold."
(b) "Silver Angels Among the Demons."
(c) "Silver Love Amongst the Hate."
(d) "Silver Clouds Among the Rain."
5. How many people in Naomi's family are ever returned their land by the government?
(a) Only Naomi's grandparents are returned their land.
(b) Only Naomi's Obasan is returned her land.
(c) Only Naomi's father is returned his land.
(d) None of Naomi's family is returned their land.
6. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
7. Besides moving back to Japan, what other option do families have in 1945?
(a) Moving south of the Rocky Mountains.
(b) Moving west of the Rocky Mountains.
(c) Moving north of the Rocky Mountains.
(d) Moving east of the Rocky Mountains.
8. What does Naomi find as an adult which gave her insight into the family's motivations in relocating from Slocan?
(a) An order form.
(b) A letter.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A record.
9. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
(a) That it is an overrated way of defining people.
(b) That he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.
(c) That it is the only way to tell who is good and who is evil.
(d) That everyone who sees the difference in skin color is racist.
10. What does Stephen accidentally break during his family's goodbye party?
(a) His sister's doll.
(b) The hut's front window.
(c) His father's flute.
(d) His mother's record.
11. Which character speaks the words, "She is here. She is not here. She is reaching out to me with a touch deceptive as down, with hands and fingers that wave like grass around my feet and her hair falls and falls and falls from her head like streamers of paper rain"?
12. What does Stephen assume has happened to his mother in Japan?
(a) That she has amnesia.
(b) That she has become evil.
(c) That she has forgotten about them.
(d) That she has died.
13. What does Obasan bring Naomi when she comes to visit as she is recovering?
(a) Clean clothes.
(b) A letter from her mother.
(d) A doll.
14. What is the name of the internment camp that Grandmother Nakane is relocated to?
(a) New Colorado.
(b) New Denver.
(c) New Maryland.
(d) New Ohio.
15. On the day that the family makes their move from Slocan, which family member disappears in the night?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rough Lock save Naomi from?
2. What is the name of the bluff that Naomi and her school friends climb?
3. With whom do the Nakane children travel when they are relocated from Slocan?
4. How do Uncle and Obasan greet each other at their reunification?
5. How is Grandmother Nakane's body processed after her death?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)