|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Naomi awakens after her near death experience, where is she?
(a) At Rough Lock's home.
(b) In a hospital.
(c) At the riverbed.
(d) In her bedroom.
2. Which of the following does Naomi NOT view as a rule to proper Japanese living?
(a) Not staring.
(b) Trying to disappear.
(c) Engaging in political conversation.
(d) Behaving politely.
3. Where will Naomi's family be relocated to after they leave Slocan?
(a) To New Denver.
(b) To Granton.
(c) To Vancouver.
(d) To Alberta.
4. What instrument does Stephen begin to play when he hears that the war is over?
(a) The tambourine.
(b) The piano.
(c) The drums.
(d) The flute.
5. In what newspaper section does Obasan wrap her fragile belongings before the move from Slocan?
(a) The comics section.
(b) The religion section.
(c) The sports section.
(d) The opinons section.
6. How many people does Aunt Emily know of that returned to Vancouver in the 1940s?
7. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
8. What type of Indian is the star in Rough Lock's story?
(a) A chief.
(b) A warrior.
(c) A brave.
(d) A squaw.
9. When Stephen wins a music award, through which continent does he travel on a tour?
(a) Through America.
(b) Through Asia.
(c) Through Europe.
(d) Through Africa.
10. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
(a) That everyone who sees the difference in skin color is racist.
(b) That he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.
(c) That it is the only way to tell who is good and who is evil.
(d) That it is an overrated way of defining people.
11. What does the Nakane family eat to stay warm at night when they are living on the farm?
(a) Black peppercorns.
(b) Cloves of garlic.
(c) Green jalapeno peppers.
(d) Whole red onions.
12. Where does Stephen attend college?
(a) In Boston.
(b) In Vancouver.
(c) In Toronto.
(d) In New York.
13. When the family is relocated, where is Father asked to report?
(a) To Vancouver.
(b) To New Denver.
(c) To Alberta.
(d) To Slocan.
14. Which of the following does Obasan say is strengthened by fire?
(a) Samurai swords.
(b) Blacksmith tools.
(c) Ninji nunchucks.
(d) Soldier rifles.
15. What part of the swamp animal's body is broken when Naomi takes it home?
(a) Its back.
(b) Its leg.
(c) Its wing.
(d) Its neck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mr. Barker's daughter?
2. Which of the following is NOT a plight that the Nakane family suffer while living on the farm?
3. What is Rough Lock's real name?
4. Who sets Grandmother Nakane's pyre alight?
5. What does Obasan bring Naomi when she comes to visit as she is recovering?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)