|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the children that their father has died?
(b) Rough Lock Bill.
2. What type of bird do the children see when they climb the bluff in spring?
(a) A kingbird.
(b) A princebird.
(c) A jokerbird.
(d) A queenbird.
3. What does Rough Lock verbally notice about Naomi?
(a) That she is very sweet.
(b) That she is very quiet.
(c) That she is very smart.
(d) That she is very young.
4. How does Stephen spend his time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
5. What is the name of the bluff that Naomi and her school friends climb?
(a) Minnie's bluff.
(b) Daffy's bluff.
(c) Pluto's bluff.
(d) Mickey's bluff.
6. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
7. How does Naomi's father react when the war ends?
(a) He is still deeply saddened.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is elated and overjoyed.
(d) He is suspicisous of what this will mean for his family.
8. Which of the following characters does NOT come to say goodbye to the Nakane family when they move?
9. Who tells the children that Grandfather Nakane has died?
(d) Aunt Emily.
10. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
(a) Her money.
(b) Her clothing.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A puppy.
11. Who from Slocan is actively trying to keep their community together?
(a) Rough Lock Bill.
12. What does Naomi overhear Obasan doing when Aunt Emily tells her that she thinks it's time to tell the children the truth?
(a) She hears Obasan praying.
(b) She hears Obasan singing.
(c) She hears Obasan crying.
(d) She hears Obasan screaming.
13. How is Grandmother Nakane's body processed after her death?
(a) It is mummified.
(b) It is buried at sea.
(c) It is buried in the ground.
(d) It is cremated.
14. How many years passed before Naomi once again spends time with Aunt Emily after they left Slocan?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Twenty-one years.
(c) Twenty-seven years.
(d) Two years.
15. What religion are the Nakane Grandparents?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stephen is going to fight the two boys who are calling him names at school, who intervenes to stop the conflict?
2. How does Naomi spend her time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
3. With whom does Naomi travel into the woods on the day that they meet Rough Lock?
4. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
5. Where does Stephen attend college?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)