|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
(a) That it is an overrated way of defining people.
(b) That everyone who sees the difference in skin color is racist.
(c) That it is the only way to tell who is good and who is evil.
(d) That he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.
2. What animal does Naomi witness having its throat slashed by a group of schoolboys?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A horse.
(c) A goat.
(d) A cow.
3. Who sets Grandmother Nakane's pyre alight?
4. What is the name of Naomi's mother's record that is accidentally destroyed?
(a) "Silver Threads Among the Gold."
(b) "Silver Clouds Among the Rain."
(c) "Silver Love Amongst the Hate."
(d) "Silver Angels Among the Demons."
5. What does Stephen assume has happened to his mother in Japan?
(a) That she has amnesia.
(b) That she has died.
(c) That she has forgotten about them.
(d) That she has become evil.
6. During which season does Uncle come to stay with the family in Slocan?
7. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
8. What religion are the Nakane Grandparents?
9. When Naomi's family is relocated from Slocan, what type of farm do they live on?
(a) A cabbage farm.
(b) A hog farm.
(c) A beet farm.
(d) A potato farm.
10. When the family is relocated, where is Father asked to report?
(a) To Vancouver.
(b) To New Denver.
(c) To Alberta.
(d) To Slocan.
11. Which of the following best describes the home that the Nakane family live in while on the farm?
(a) A chicken coop.
(b) A horse stable.
(c) A pig pen.
(d) A dog house.
12. When Naomi remembers the chicks of her childhood, what does she contemplate about them?
(a) Why they changed color.
(b) Why they were eaten by the family.
(c) Why they couldn't fly.
(d) Why they grew up.
13. Who tells the children that their father has died?
(c) Rough Lock Bill.
14. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
(a) A baptism.
(c) A wedding.
(d) Profession of faith.
15. What is the name of the bluff that Naomi and her school friends climb?
(a) Mickey's bluff.
(b) Pluto's bluff.
(c) Daffy's bluff.
(d) Minnie's bluff.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen spend his time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
2. What is the name of the man who owns the farm that the Nakane family is relocated to?
3. How many people in Naomi's family are ever returned their land by the government?
4. Besides moving back to Japan, what other option do families have in 1945?
5. How do Uncle and Obasan greet each other at their reunification?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)