|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
(a) A wedding.
(b) Profession of faith.
(d) A baptism.
2. Besides moving back to Japan, what other option do families have in 1945?
(a) Moving west of the Rocky Mountains.
(b) Moving east of the Rocky Mountains.
(c) Moving north of the Rocky Mountains.
(d) Moving south of the Rocky Mountains.
3. Which of the following are NOT harvested in the Nakane garden?
4. What type of bird do the children see when they climb the bluff in spring?
(a) A kingbird.
(b) A princebird.
(c) A queenbird.
(d) A jokerbird.
5. When Naomi awakens after her near death experience, where is she?
(a) In a hospital.
(b) At the riverbed.
(c) At Rough Lock's home.
(d) In her bedroom.
6. What is the name of Naomi's mother's record that is accidentally destroyed?
(a) "Silver Angels Among the Demons."
(b) "Silver Threads Among the Gold."
(c) "Silver Clouds Among the Rain."
(d) "Silver Love Amongst the Hate."
7. Which of the following characters does NOT come to say goodbye to the Nakane family when they move?
8. Which word is the best translation of the Japanese word "wagamama" used in the novel?
9. What does the Nakane family eat to stay warm at night when they are living on the farm?
(a) Whole red onions.
(b) Black peppercorns.
(c) Green jalapeno peppers.
(d) Cloves of garlic.
10. When Stephen is going to fight the two boys who are calling him names at school, who intervenes to stop the conflict?
(a) A priest.
(b) A school teacher.
(c) A missionary woman.
(d) A young Japanese boy.
11. What does Rough Lock verbally notice about Naomi?
(a) That she is very sweet.
(b) That she is very quiet.
(c) That she is very smart.
(d) That she is very young.
12. What does Uncle build to carry Stephen to the hospital to have his cast removed?
(a) A sled.
(b) A cart.
(c) A carriage.
(d) A rickshaw.
13. What is the name of the bluff that Naomi and her school friends climb?
(a) Pluto's bluff.
(b) Daffy's bluff.
(c) Mickey's bluff.
(d) Minnie's bluff.
14. What did Rough Lock say the last Indian's voice sounded like?
(a) A horse whinnying.
(b) An eagle soaring.
(c) A dog barking.
(d) A bird chirping.
15. What animal does Naomi bring home with her from the swamp?
(a) A frog.
(b) A bird.
(c) A lizard.
(d) A snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Naomi's father react when the war ends?
2. How does Naomi spend her time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
3. When Stephen wins a music award, through which continent does he travel on a tour?
4. With whom is Naomi still in contact from her Slocan community?
5. In what month is it announced that the war has ended?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)