|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Naomi dream is attempting to communicate with her?
(a) Her Uncle.
(b) Her Grandfather.
(c) Her Father.
(d) Her Mother.
2. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
(a) That everyone who sees the difference in skin color is racist.
(b) That it is the only way to tell who is good and who is evil.
(c) That he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.
(d) That it is an overrated way of defining people.
3. During which season does Uncle come to stay with the family in Slocan?
4. How does Naomi's father react when the war ends?
(a) He is still deeply saddened.
(b) He is elated and overjoyed.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is suspicisous of what this will mean for his family.
5. Who from Slocan is actively trying to keep their community together?
(a) Rough Lock Bill.
6. Where does Stephen attend college?
(a) In Vancouver.
(b) In New York.
(c) In Toronto.
(d) In Boston.
7. When Naomi awakens after her near death experience, where is she?
(a) At the riverbed.
(b) In her bedroom.
(c) In a hospital.
(d) At Rough Lock's home.
8. What does Rough Lock save Naomi from?
(c) Falling into a ditch.
9. With whom do the Nakane children travel when they are relocated from Slocan?
(a) With Rough Lock.
(b) With their father.
(c) With their Aunt and Uncle.
(d) By themselves.
10. Which of the following does Naomi NOT view as a rule to proper Japanese living?
(a) Engaging in political conversation.
(b) Trying to disappear.
(c) Behaving politely.
(d) Not staring.
11. When Stephen is going to fight the two boys who are calling him names at school, who intervenes to stop the conflict?
(a) A missionary woman.
(b) A priest.
(c) A school teacher.
(d) A young Japanese boy.
12. What does Obasan say strengthens humans?
(c) Hard experiences.
(d) Physical battles.
13. What is Naomi concerned might have happened to her mother when she returned to Japan?
(a) She is concerned that her mother was kidnapped.
(b) She is concerned that her mother drown.
(c) She is concerned that her mother starved.
(d) She is concerned that her mother became wealthy.
14. Which of the following characters does NOT come to say goodbye to the Nakane family when they move?
15. What does Stephen tell Naomi about where their father is staying in New Denver?
(a) That he is staying in a hotel.
(b) That he is staying in an elementary school.
(c) That he is staying in a hospital.
(d) That he is staying in a church.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
2. What instrument does Uncle bring for Stephen?
3. Which of the following is NOT a plight that the Nakane family suffer while living on the farm?
4. What type of Indian is the star in Rough Lock's story?
5. Which word is the best translation of the Japanese word "wagamama" used in the novel?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)