|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a plight that the Nakane family suffer while living on the farm?
(a) Long work hours.
(b) Insect infestation.
(c) Torrential downpouring rain.
(d) No clean water.
2. On the day that the family makes their move from Slocan, which family member disappears in the night?
3. What does Naomi find as an adult which gave her insight into the family's motivations in relocating from Slocan?
(a) A photograph.
(b) An order form.
(c) A letter.
(d) A record.
4. What is the name of Naomi's mother's record that is accidentally destroyed?
(a) "Silver Angels Among the Demons."
(b) "Silver Love Amongst the Hate."
(c) "Silver Threads Among the Gold."
(d) "Silver Clouds Among the Rain."
5. How is Grandmother Nakane's body processed after her death?
(a) It is cremated.
(b) It is buried at sea.
(c) It is buried in the ground.
(d) It is mummified.
6. Which of the following does Obasan say is strengthened by fire?
(a) Ninji nunchucks.
(b) Samurai swords.
(c) Blacksmith tools.
(d) Soldier rifles.
7. When Stephen is going to fight the two boys who are calling him names at school, who intervenes to stop the conflict?
(a) A missionary woman.
(b) A school teacher.
(c) A priest.
(d) A young Japanese boy.
8. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
9. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
(a) That it is the only way to tell who is good and who is evil.
(b) That he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.
(c) That everyone who sees the difference in skin color is racist.
(d) That it is an overrated way of defining people.
10. When Naomi awakens after her near death experience, where is she?
(a) In her bedroom.
(b) At Rough Lock's home.
(c) In a hospital.
(d) At the riverbed.
11. What instrument does Stephen begin to play when he hears that the war is over?
(a) The drums.
(b) The tambourine.
(c) The flute.
(d) The piano.
12. What animal does Naomi witness having its throat slashed by a group of schoolboys?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A cow.
(c) A goat.
(d) A horse.
13. What is the name of the man who owns the farm that the Nakane family is relocated to?
(a) Mr. Nakane.
(b) Mr. Billington.
(c) Mr. Barker.
(d) Mr. Gower.
14. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
(a) Her clothing.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A puppy.
(d) Her money.
15. Who does Naomi dream is attempting to communicate with her?
(a) Her Uncle.
(b) Her Grandfather.
(c) Her Father.
(d) Her Mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the swamp animal's body is broken when Naomi takes it home?
2. How is Naomi's recovery room described?
3. How does Stephen spend his time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
4. How do Uncle and Obasan greet each other at their reunification?
5. What does Naomi overhear Obasan doing when Aunt Emily tells her that she thinks it's time to tell the children the truth?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)