|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
(a) Her money.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A puppy.
(d) Her clothing.
2. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
(a) Profession of faith.
(b) A baptism.
(c) A wedding.
3. What does Rough Lock verbally notice about Naomi?
(a) That she is very quiet.
(b) That she is very young.
(c) That she is very smart.
(d) That she is very sweet.
4. Which of the following is the family NOT allowed to bring with them when they move from Slocan?
(a) Their books.
(b) Their clothing.
(c) Their bedding.
(d) Their kitchenware.
5. What does Stephen assume has happened to his mother in Japan?
(a) That she has become evil.
(b) That she has amnesia.
(c) That she has died.
(d) That she has forgotten about them.
6. Who tells the children that their father has died?
(a) Rough Lock Bill.
7. Where does Stephen attend college?
(a) In New York.
(b) In Boston.
(c) In Vancouver.
(d) In Toronto.
8. How many people does Aunt Emily know of that returned to Vancouver in the 1940s?
9. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
(a) That he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.
(b) That everyone who sees the difference in skin color is racist.
(c) That it is the only way to tell who is good and who is evil.
(d) That it is an overrated way of defining people.
10. What animal does Naomi witness having its throat slashed by a group of schoolboys?
(a) A goat.
(b) A horse.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A cow.
11. In what newspaper section does Obasan wrap her fragile belongings before the move from Slocan?
(a) The opinons section.
(b) The comics section.
(c) The sports section.
(d) The religion section.
12. Which of the following is NOT a plight that the Nakane family suffer while living on the farm?
(a) Long work hours.
(b) Insect infestation.
(c) No clean water.
(d) Torrential downpouring rain.
13. Who sets Grandmother Nakane's pyre alight?
14. Who tells the children that Grandfather Nakane has died?
(b) Aunt Emily.
15. How is Naomi's recovery room described?
(a) As being packed with beds.
(b) As being shared by an old woman.
(c) As being the first room that was ever Naomi's alone.
(d) As looking exactly like her bedroom back home.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Indian in Rough Lock's story resettles his people, what does he name the town?
2. What is Naomi concerned might have happened to her mother when she returned to Japan?
3. When the family is relocated, where is Father asked to report?
4. What does Stephen tell Naomi about where their father is staying in New Denver?
5. What is the name of the internment camp that Grandmother Nakane is relocated to?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)