|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Naomi's recovery room described?
(a) As looking exactly like her bedroom back home.
(b) As being packed with beds.
(c) As being shared by an old woman.
(d) As being the first room that was ever Naomi's alone.
2. Which of the following is the family NOT allowed to bring with them when they move from Slocan?
(a) Their bedding.
(b) Their kitchenware.
(c) Their books.
(d) Their clothing.
3. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
(a) Her money.
(b) A kitten.
(c) Her clothing.
(d) A puppy.
4. In what month is it announced that the war has ended?
5. What is the name of the internment camp that Grandmother Nakane is relocated to?
(a) New Maryland.
(b) New Denver.
(c) New Ohio.
(d) New Colorado.
6. How many years passed before Naomi once again spends time with Aunt Emily after they left Slocan?
(a) Twenty-one years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Twenty-seven years.
7. What does Stephen tell Naomi about where their father is staying in New Denver?
(a) That he is staying in an elementary school.
(b) That he is staying in a hospital.
(c) That he is staying in a hotel.
(d) That he is staying in a church.
8. With whom do the Nakane children travel when they are relocated from Slocan?
(a) With their Aunt and Uncle.
(b) With Rough Lock.
(c) With their father.
(d) By themselves.
9. In what newspaper section does Obasan wrap her fragile belongings before the move from Slocan?
(a) The sports section.
(b) The religion section.
(c) The comics section.
(d) The opinons section.
10. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
(a) That everyone who sees the difference in skin color is racist.
(b) That it is the only way to tell who is good and who is evil.
(c) That he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.
(d) That it is an overrated way of defining people.
11. How do Uncle and Obasan greet each other at their reunification?
(a) They shook hands.
(b) They hugged one another.
(c) They bowed to one another.
(d) They kissed one another.
12. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
(a) A baptism.
(c) Profession of faith.
(d) A wedding.
13. What is the name of Naomi's mother's record that is accidentally destroyed?
(a) "Silver Love Amongst the Hate."
(b) "Silver Threads Among the Gold."
(c) "Silver Angels Among the Demons."
(d) "Silver Clouds Among the Rain."
14. What instrument does Stephen begin to play when he hears that the war is over?
(a) The flute.
(b) The piano.
(c) The tambourine.
(d) The drums.
15. When Naomi awakens after her near death experience, where is she?
(a) In a hospital.
(b) At the riverbed.
(c) In her bedroom.
(d) At Rough Lock's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the family is relocated, where is Father asked to report?
2. Which character speaks the words, "She is here. She is not here. She is reaching out to me with a touch deceptive as down, with hands and fingers that wave like grass around my feet and her hair falls and falls and falls from her head like streamers of paper rain"?
3. What instrument does Uncle bring for Stephen?
4. How does Naomi's father react when the war ends?
5. Which of the following characters does NOT come to say goodbye to the Nakane family when they move?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)