|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Naomi awakens after her near death experience, where is she?
(a) At Rough Lock's home.
(b) At the riverbed.
(c) In her bedroom.
(d) In a hospital.
2. What animal does Naomi witness having its throat slashed by a group of schoolboys?
(a) A horse.
(b) A cow.
(c) A goat.
(d) A chicken.
3. What does Stephen accidentally break during his family's goodbye party?
(a) His sister's doll.
(b) His father's flute.
(c) The hut's front window.
(d) His mother's record.
4. How does Grandfather Nakane die?
(a) From old age.
(b) From a heart attack.
(c) From a stroke.
(d) From cancer.
5. How does Naomi's father react when the war ends?
(a) He is elated and overjoyed.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is suspicisous of what this will mean for his family.
(d) He is still deeply saddened.
6. Which of the following is NOT a plight that the Nakane family suffer while living on the farm?
(a) Insect infestation.
(b) Torrential downpouring rain.
(c) No clean water.
(d) Long work hours.
7. During which season does Uncle come to stay with the family in Slocan?
8. What does Naomi overhear Obasan doing when Aunt Emily tells her that she thinks it's time to tell the children the truth?
(a) She hears Obasan screaming.
(b) She hears Obasan crying.
(c) She hears Obasan praying.
(d) She hears Obasan singing.
9. With whom does Naomi travel into the woods on the day that they meet Rough Lock?
10. What is the name of Naomi's mother's record that is accidentally destroyed?
(a) "Silver Threads Among the Gold."
(b) "Silver Angels Among the Demons."
(c) "Silver Clouds Among the Rain."
(d) "Silver Love Amongst the Hate."
11. In what month is it announced that the war has ended?
12. When Stephen wins a music award, through which continent does he travel on a tour?
(a) Through America.
(b) Through Africa.
(c) Through Europe.
(d) Through Asia.
13. Where does Stephen attend college?
(a) In Toronto.
(b) In Boston.
(c) In Vancouver.
(d) In New York.
14. In what do the Nakane family pack their belongings when they are relocated from Slocan?
(a) In the backseat of a car.
(b) In wooden boxes.
(c) In garbage bags.
(d) In suitcases.
15. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
(a) The flute.
(b) The guitar.
(c) The drums.
(d) The piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Naomi concerned might have happened to her mother when she returned to Japan?
2. What is the name of the internment camp that Grandmother Nakane is relocated to?
3. How is Grandmother Nakane's body processed after her death?
4. What part of the swamp animal's body is broken when Naomi takes it home?
5. Which character speaks the words, "She is here. She is not here. She is reaching out to me with a touch deceptive as down, with hands and fingers that wave like grass around my feet and her hair falls and falls and falls from her head like streamers of paper rain"?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)