|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Stephen is going to fight the two boys who are calling him names at school, who intervenes to stop the conflict?
(a) A young Japanese boy.
(b) A school teacher.
(c) A missionary woman.
(d) A priest.
2. Which character speaks the words, "She is here. She is not here. She is reaching out to me with a touch deceptive as down, with hands and fingers that wave like grass around my feet and her hair falls and falls and falls from her head like streamers of paper rain"?
3. How does Grandfather Nakane die?
(a) From cancer.
(b) From old age.
(c) From a heart attack.
(d) From a stroke.
4. In what do the Nakane family pack their belongings when they are relocated from Slocan?
(a) In suitcases.
(b) In the backseat of a car.
(c) In garbage bags.
(d) In wooden boxes.
5. When the Indian in Rough Lock's story resettles his people, what does he name the town?
(b) Running River.
(c) New Denver.
(d) Black Horse.
6. What religion are the Nakane Grandparents?
7. What does Uncle build to carry Stephen to the hospital to have his cast removed?
(a) A carriage.
(b) A sled.
(c) A cart.
(d) A rickshaw.
8. Where does Stephen attend college?
(a) In Vancouver.
(b) In Toronto.
(c) In Boston.
(d) In New York.
9. Who tells the children that Grandfather Nakane has died?
(d) Aunt Emily.
10. In what month is it announced that the war has ended?
11. Which of the following does Obasan say is strengthened by fire?
(a) Soldier rifles.
(b) Ninji nunchucks.
(c) Blacksmith tools.
(d) Samurai swords.
12. Which of the following does Naomi NOT view as a rule to proper Japanese living?
(a) Engaging in political conversation.
(b) Trying to disappear.
(c) Not staring.
(d) Behaving politely.
13. Which of the following is the family NOT allowed to bring with them when they move from Slocan?
(a) Their clothing.
(b) Their bedding.
(c) Their kitchenware.
(d) Their books.
14. Who from Slocan is actively trying to keep their community together?
(a) Rough Lock Bill.
15. Which of the following are NOT harvested in the Nakane garden?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen assume has happened to his mother in Japan?
2. What is Rough Lock's real name?
3. How many people does Aunt Emily know of that returned to Vancouver in the 1940s?
4. How does Naomi spend her time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
5. What is the name of the internment camp that Grandmother Nakane is relocated to?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)