|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who from Slocan is actively trying to keep their community together?
(b) Rough Lock Bill.
2. What is the board game that Stephen played with while he was growing up?
(a) Red Peril.
(b) Blue Peril.
(c) Yellow Peril.
(d) Green Peril.
3. When the family is relocated, where is Father asked to report?
(a) To Slocan.
(b) To Vancouver.
(c) To Alberta.
(d) To New Denver.
4. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
(a) The flute.
(b) The piano.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The drums.
5. What does Rough Lock say about skin color?
(a) That he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.
(b) That everyone who sees the difference in skin color is racist.
(c) That it is an overrated way of defining people.
(d) That it is the only way to tell who is good and who is evil.
6. Besides moving back to Japan, what other option do families have in 1945?
(a) Moving east of the Rocky Mountains.
(b) Moving north of the Rocky Mountains.
(c) Moving south of the Rocky Mountains.
(d) Moving west of the Rocky Mountains.
7. Which family member is released from internment and returns to the family hut?
(a) Naomi's Grandfather Nakane.
(b) Naomi's Grandfather Kato.
(c) Naomi's Grandmother Kato.
(d) Naomi's father.
8. When Stephen wins a music award, through which continent does he travel on a tour?
(a) Through Europe.
(b) Through Africa.
(c) Through Asia.
(d) Through America.
9. How is Naomi's recovery room described?
(a) As looking exactly like her bedroom back home.
(b) As being the first room that was ever Naomi's alone.
(c) As being packed with beds.
(d) As being shared by an old woman.
10. Which word is the best translation of the Japanese word "wagamama" used in the novel?
11. In what month is it announced that the war has ended?
12. Who sets Grandmother Nakane's pyre alight?
13. What does Uncle build to carry Stephen to the hospital to have his cast removed?
(a) A cart.
(b) A rickshaw.
(c) A sled.
(d) A carriage.
14. How many people in Naomi's family are ever returned their land by the government?
(a) Only Naomi's father is returned his land.
(b) Only Naomi's grandparents are returned their land.
(c) Only Naomi's Obasan is returned her land.
(d) None of Naomi's family is returned their land.
15. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
(a) Her money.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A kitten.
(d) Her clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the children that Grandfather Nakane has died?
2. What is Naomi concerned might have happened to her mother when she returned to Japan?
3. What does Rough Lock save Naomi from?
4. What is the name of Mr. Barker's daughter?
5. Who tells the children that their father has died?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)