|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Grandfather Nakane die?
(a) From a heart attack.
(b) From a stroke.
(c) From old age.
(d) From cancer.
2. What does Naomi find as an adult which gave her insight into the family's motivations in relocating from Slocan?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A letter.
(c) A record.
(d) An order form.
3. What does Naomi overhear Obasan doing when Aunt Emily tells her that she thinks it's time to tell the children the truth?
(a) She hears Obasan singing.
(b) She hears Obasan crying.
(c) She hears Obasan praying.
(d) She hears Obasan screaming.
4. How many people does Aunt Emily know of that returned to Vancouver in the 1940s?
5. Which of the following are NOT harvested in the Nakane garden?
6. What does Rough Lock save Naomi from?
(b) Falling into a ditch.
7. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
(a) The drums.
(b) The guitar.
(c) The piano.
(d) The flute.
8. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
9. On the day that the family makes their move from Slocan, which family member disappears in the night?
10. What does Stephen tell Naomi about where their father is staying in New Denver?
(a) That he is staying in a hospital.
(b) That he is staying in a hotel.
(c) That he is staying in an elementary school.
(d) That he is staying in a church.
11. What religion are the Nakane Grandparents?
12. When Naomi awakens after her near death experience, where is she?
(a) At the riverbed.
(b) At Rough Lock's home.
(c) In her bedroom.
(d) In a hospital.
13. Which of the following does Obasan say is strengthened by fire?
(a) Soldier rifles.
(b) Samurai swords.
(c) Blacksmith tools.
(d) Ninji nunchucks.
14. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A kitten.
(c) Her clothing.
(d) Her money.
15. What does Obasan bring Naomi when she comes to visit as she is recovering?
(a) A letter from her mother.
(b) A doll.
(c) Clean clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word is the best translation of the Japanese word "wagamama" used in the novel?
2. How is Grandmother Nakane's body processed after her death?
3. With whom do the Nakane children travel when they are relocated from Slocan?
4. Who sets Grandmother Nakane's pyre alight?
5. What is the name of the man who owns the farm that the Nakane family is relocated to?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)