|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character speaks the words, "She is here. She is not here. She is reaching out to me with a touch deceptive as down, with hands and fingers that wave like grass around my feet and her hair falls and falls and falls from her head like streamers of paper rain"?
2. What animal does Naomi bring home with her from the swamp?
(a) A lizard.
(b) A frog.
(c) A bird.
(d) A snake.
3. With whom does Naomi travel into the woods on the day that they meet Rough Lock?
4. What is Naomi concerned might have happened to her mother when she returned to Japan?
(a) She is concerned that her mother became wealthy.
(b) She is concerned that her mother starved.
(c) She is concerned that her mother was kidnapped.
(d) She is concerned that her mother drown.
5. What does Stephen accidentally break during his family's goodbye party?
(a) His father's flute.
(b) His sister's doll.
(c) His mother's record.
(d) The hut's front window.
6. What instrument is Stephen allowed to play at his American school?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The drums.
(c) The piano.
(d) The flute.
7. How many people in Naomi's family are ever returned their land by the government?
(a) Only Naomi's grandparents are returned their land.
(b) Only Naomi's Obasan is returned her land.
(c) Only Naomi's father is returned his land.
(d) None of Naomi's family is returned their land.
8. When Stephen wins a music award, through which continent does he travel on a tour?
(a) Through Asia.
(b) Through Europe.
(c) Through Africa.
(d) Through America.
9. How does Naomi spend her time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
10. Where does Stephen attend college?
(a) In Vancouver.
(b) In Boston.
(c) In New York.
(d) In Toronto.
11. Who sets Grandmother Nakane's pyre alight?
12. How does Stephen spend his time at Grandmother Nakane's funeral?
13. What instrument does Uncle bring for Stephen?
14. Which of the following is NOT a plight that the Nakane family suffer while living on the farm?
(a) No clean water.
(b) Torrential downpouring rain.
(c) Long work hours.
(d) Insect infestation.
15. What does the Nakane family eat to stay warm at night when they are living on the farm?
(a) Whole red onions.
(b) Black peppercorns.
(c) Green jalapeno peppers.
(d) Cloves of garlic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the swamp animal's body is broken when Naomi takes it home?
2. With whom do the Nakane children travel when they are relocated from Slocan?
3. On the day that the family makes their move from Slocan, which family member disappears in the night?
4. When the Indian in Rough Lock's story resettles his people, what does he name the town?
5. What does Rough Lock save Naomi from?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)