|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the children that their father has died?
(d) Rough Lock Bill.
2. How many people does Aunt Emily know of that returned to Vancouver in the 1940s?
3. Who attempts to comb the tangles out of Naomi's hair while she is recovering?
(a) Rough Lock.
(b) A nurse.
4. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
(a) Her money.
(b) Her clothing.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A kitten.
5. Which of the following characters does NOT come to say goodbye to the Nakane family when they move?
6. How do Uncle and Obasan greet each other at their reunification?
(a) They kissed one another.
(b) They shook hands.
(c) They hugged one another.
(d) They bowed to one another.
7. What does Stephen tell Naomi about where their father is staying in New Denver?
(a) That he is staying in a hotel.
(b) That he is staying in a hospital.
(c) That he is staying in a church.
(d) That he is staying in an elementary school.
8. How does Naomi's father react when the war ends?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is suspicisous of what this will mean for his family.
(c) He is still deeply saddened.
(d) He is elated and overjoyed.
9. What part of the swamp animal's body is broken when Naomi takes it home?
(a) Its neck.
(b) Its back.
(c) Its leg.
(d) Its wing.
10. What is Naomi concerned might have happened to her mother when she returned to Japan?
(a) She is concerned that her mother became wealthy.
(b) She is concerned that her mother starved.
(c) She is concerned that her mother drown.
(d) She is concerned that her mother was kidnapped.
11. With whom does Naomi travel into the woods on the day that they meet Rough Lock?
12. Which of the following is the family NOT allowed to bring with them when they move from Slocan?
(a) Their kitchenware.
(b) Their books.
(c) Their clothing.
(d) Their bedding.
13. What does Naomi overhear Obasan doing when Aunt Emily tells her that she thinks it's time to tell the children the truth?
(a) She hears Obasan singing.
(b) She hears Obasan crying.
(c) She hears Obasan screaming.
(d) She hears Obasan praying.
14. What does Obasan bring Naomi when she comes to visit as she is recovering?
(a) A letter from her mother.
(c) A doll.
(d) Clean clothes.
15. What religious ceremony is conducted during the family's goodbye party?
(a) Profession of faith.
(c) A baptism.
(d) A wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what newspaper section does Obasan wrap her fragile belongings before the move from Slocan?
2. What does Uncle build to carry Stephen to the hospital to have his cast removed?
3. Which of the following are NOT harvested in the Nakane garden?
4. What does Obasan say strengthens humans?
5. What is the name of the bluff that Naomi and her school friends climb?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)