|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year do Naomi and Stephen begin to attend an all-Japanese school?
2. What type of bird do the children see when they climb the bluff in spring?
(a) A princebird.
(b) A kingbird.
(c) A jokerbird.
(d) A queenbird.
3. Which of the following does Naomi NOT view as a rule to proper Japanese living?
(a) Behaving politely.
(b) Trying to disappear.
(c) Not staring.
(d) Engaging in political conversation.
4. What does Rough Lock verbally notice about Naomi?
(a) That she is very smart.
(b) That she is very quiet.
(c) That she is very young.
(d) That she is very sweet.
5. How many people does Aunt Emily know of that returned to Vancouver in the 1940s?
6. With whom does Naomi travel into the woods on the day that they meet Rough Lock?
7. What is the name of the bluff that Naomi and her school friends climb?
(a) Pluto's bluff.
(b) Mickey's bluff.
(c) Daffy's bluff.
(d) Minnie's bluff.
8. When Naomi awakens after her near death experience, where is she?
(a) In her bedroom.
(b) At Rough Lock's home.
(c) In a hospital.
(d) At the riverbed.
9. What instrument does Stephen begin to play when he hears that the war is over?
(a) The piano.
(b) The drums.
(c) The tambourine.
(d) The flute.
10. How many people in Naomi's family are ever returned their land by the government?
(a) Only Naomi's grandparents are returned their land.
(b) Only Naomi's Obasan is returned her land.
(c) None of Naomi's family is returned their land.
(d) Only Naomi's father is returned his land.
11. How is Grandmother Nakane's body processed after her death?
(a) It is cremated.
(b) It is buried in the ground.
(c) It is buried at sea.
(d) It is mummified.
12. What does Uncle build to carry Stephen to the hospital to have his cast removed?
(a) A sled.
(b) A rickshaw.
(c) A cart.
(d) A carriage.
13. What does Naomi find as an adult which gave her insight into the family's motivations in relocating from Slocan?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A letter.
(c) An order form.
(d) A record.
14. During which season does Uncle come to stay with the family in Slocan?
15. What animal does Naomi bring home with her from the swamp?
(a) A snake.
(b) A bird.
(c) A frog.
(d) A lizard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obasan say strengthens humans?
2. What does Stephen assume has happened to his mother in Japan?
3. What is Naomi accused of throwing down into an outhouse?
4. What is the name of the man who owns the farm that the Nakane family is relocated to?
5. How far away way is Grandmother Nakane's internment camp from Slocan?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)