|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Naomi's husband do for a living?
(a) Naomi does not have a husband.
(b) He is a doctor.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) He is a teacher.
2. During their relocation, what part of Stephen's body is in a cast?
(a) His back.
(b) His leg.
(c) His arm.
(d) His foot.
3. What does "Obasan" mean in Japanese?
4. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe Obasan as Naomi sees her?
(a) Obasan has a hump growing on her back.
(b) Obasan has a gummy mouth.
(c) Obasan is almost deaf.
(d) Obasan is going blind.
5. When Obasan awakens Naomi in the middle of the night, where does she take her?
(a) Down into the cellar.
(b) Out into the barn.
(c) Up into the attic.
(d) Out into the garage.
6. How does Naomi feel about her Aunt's revolutionary thinking?
(a) She is terrified of it.
(b) She is inspired by it.
(c) She is amused by it.
(d) She is uncomfortable with it.
7. Who dies in Naomi's family, prompting her to visit her Obasan?
(a) Her Mother.
(b) Her Father.
(c) Her Uncle.
(d) Her Aunt.
8. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is excited.
9. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
(a) She is haunted by the sounds of music.
(b) She is filled with fear when she hears the music.
(c) She remembers the music fondly.
(d) She does not remember the music.
10. In Naomi's reccurring dream, what are the three Oriental women wearing?
(a) They are wrapped in the Japanese flag.
(b) Western-style jeans and t-shirts.
(c) Ceremonial kimonos.
(d) Nothing, they are naked.
11. Which character teaches Naomi that it was impolite to look anyone directly in the eyes?
(a) Naomi's mother.
(b) Naomi's Obasan.
(c) Naomi's Uncle.
(d) Naomi's father.
12. Who bought Obasan and Uncle a puppy?
(a) Naomi's parents.
(c) Naomi's grandparents.
(d) Aunt Emily.
13. When Aunt Emily is giving the speech about racism throughout the world, what reaction does Naomi have?
(a) She is embarrassed.
(b) She is unmoved.
(c) She is amused.
(d) She is inspired.
14. Which of the following characters does NOT return to the relocation camp after liberation?
(c) Aunt Emily.
15. What type of dance does Uncle perform when he appears in Naomi's dream?
(a) A death dance.
(b) A birth dance.
(c) A fire dance.
(d) A rain dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Naomi remember running to for help when she witnessed the traumatic event with her animals?
2. How many children do Obasan and Uncle have?
3. What did Aunt Emily want to do for a living, but was never able to find work?
4. When Naomi was being sexually abused as a child, who does she remember telling?
5. What is the name of the man who sexually abused Naomi when she was a child?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)