|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Naomi's grandfather spend his life building?
2. How many rooms does the hut that the Nakame family is relocated to have?
(a) One room.
(b) Two rooms.
(c) Three rooms.
(d) Four rooms.
3. Who dies in Naomi's family, prompting her to visit her Obasan?
(a) Her Aunt.
(b) Her Uncle.
(c) Her Mother.
(d) Her Father.
4. What type of animal does Naomi remember raising as a child?
5. How does Naomi feel about the racism she experienced as a child, now as an adult?
(a) She is amused by the racism.
(b) She is furious about the racism.
(c) She is apathetic to the racism.
(d) She is confused by the racism.
6. Who bought Obasan and Uncle a puppy?
(a) Aunt Emily.
(c) Naomi's grandparents.
(d) Naomi's parents.
7. In Naomi's reccurring dream, what are the three Oriental women wearing?
(a) Nothing, they are naked.
(b) Ceremonial kimonos.
(c) They are wrapped in the Japanese flag.
(d) Western-style jeans and t-shirts.
8. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
9. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
10. What origami animals does Naomi frequently fold?
(a) Paper horses.
(b) Paper cranes.
(c) Paper frogs.
(d) Paper pigs.
11. What does "Obasan" mean in Japanese?
12. What ethnicity is Naomi Nakane?
13. After the Nakane family is separated from Aunt Emily, how many years will they be apart?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Fifteen years.
14. After the traumatic event with the animals, what does Naomi remember entering her yard, preventing her from discussing the events with anyone?
(a) Loud neighbor boys.
(b) A group of soldiers.
(c) A pack of wild dogs.
(d) A gaggle of neighborhood gossips.
15. Which character calls Naomi's mother "Nassan"?
(a) Grandpa Kato.
(b) Aunt Emily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insect swarms the house that the Nakane family is relocated to?
2. In what country does the novel take place?
3. Which of the following characters does NOT return to the relocation camp after liberation?
4. What does Naomi help Nomura-obasan use while she is living with the Nakane family?
5. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)