|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the conditions of the internment camps?
(a) Little food, but much hygiene.
(b) Much food, and much hygiene.
(c) Little food, and little hygiene.
(d) Much food, but little hygiene.
2. Which of the following is NOT a true statement about Naomi's childhood, according to Aunt Emily?
(a) Naomi never smiled.
(b) Naomi was never punished.
(c) Naomi never spoke.
(d) Naomi was frequently punished.
3. When Aunt Emily comes to visit Obasan and Naomi, who picks her up from the airport?
4. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
(a) Christmas Day.
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) Valentine's Day.
5. What insect swarms the house that the Nakane family is relocated to?
(a) Horse flies.
(d) Praying Mantises.
6. Which of the following is NOT described as filling Naomi's childhood home?
7. What does Naomi help Nomura-obasan use while she is living with the Nakane family?
(a) The outhouse.
(b) The washing machine.
(c) The dishwasher.
(d) The computer.
8. What event were the Japanese-Canadians subjected to, an event that Naomi remembers frequently experienced?
(a) Sleep deprivation.
(b) Water deprivation.
(d) Food depriviation.
9. Which of the following best describes "Sick Bays"?
(a) Language classrooms.
(b) Vacation beaches.
(c) Holding areas.
(d) Hospital wards.
10. Which of the following characters is NOT held in a SIck Bay?
(a) Naomi's Grandmother.
(b) Naomi's Grandfather.
(c) Naomi's Obasan.
(d) Naomi's Father.
11. Which generation of Japanese-Canadians are the Nisei?
(a) Second generation.
(b) Fourth generation.
(c) First generation.
(d) Third generation.
12. What type of animal does Naomi remember raising as a child?
13. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
14. As an adult, what does Naomi do for a living?
(a) She is a teacher.
(b) She is a lawyer.
(c) She is a doctor.
(d) She is an artist.
15. What did Naomi's grandfather spend his life building?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Naomi when her family is sent into relocation?
2. In Naomi's dream, who is with her on the mountain?
3. Who bought Obasan and Uncle a puppy?
4. Who does Naomi remember staring at her while she begged for help after witnessing the traumatic event with her animals?
5. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)