|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At whose home does Naomi remember spending most of her time growing up?
(a) At Obasan's.
(b) At Grandmother Kato's.
(c) At Grandmother Nakane's.
(d) At Aunt Emily's.
2. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
3. After the Nakane family is separated from Aunt Emily, how many years will they be apart?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Fifteen years.
4. Which of the following characters does NOT return to the relocation camp after liberation?
(d) Aunt Emily.
5. What is interesting about the giant creature in Naomi's dream?
(a) It is a giant stuffed animal.
(b) It is cartooned.
(c) It is invisible.
(d) It is robotic.
6. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
(a) She is filled with fear when she hears the music.
(b) She is haunted by the sounds of music.
(c) She does not remember the music.
(d) She remembers the music fondly.
7. Who does Naomi remember staring at her while she begged for help after witnessing the traumatic event with her animals?
(a) Mrs. Sugimoto.
(b) Rough Bill Locke.
(c) Dr. Kato.
(d) Mr. Gower.
8. In the opening chapter, what is Naomi's Uncle doing in the grass?
9. How does Stephen feel about his Japanese heritage?
(a) He is proud of his heritage and wants to stand up for it.
(b) He does not care either way about being Japanese.
(c) He thinks that the Japanese people are better than all others.
(d) He believes it is an impediment to his life.
10. There is a woman on the relocation train holding a baby; what is wrong with it?
(a) The baby starts choking on food.
(b) The baby toddles off and falls.
(c) Nothing was wrong with the baby.
(d) The baby was born premature.
11. What does "Obasan" mean in Japanese?
12. To whom does Naomi remember running to for help when she witnessed the traumatic event with her animals?
(a) To her grandmother.
(b) To her Obasan.
(c) To her mother.
(d) To her Uncle.
13. When Aunt Emily comes to visit Obasan and Naomi, who picks her up from the airport?
14. How old is Naomi when her family is sent into relocation?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Eight years old.
(c) Five years old.
(d) Two years old.
15. What is the name of the town that Naomi and her family are relocated to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe Obasan as Naomi sees her?
2. What part of a woman's dress is given to the mother on the train so that she can fashion a diaper for her baby?
3. What symptom of sickness begins to plague Naomi's father during WW!!?
4. Which country does Aunt Emily claim is the most racist toward the Japanese people?
5. What toy does Naomi play with for the duration of the relocation train ride?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)