|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Nakane family realize about their relocation camp when they return to visit after liberation?
(a) That the place is now full of Japanese culture.
(b) That the place is an even mix of Japanese and French culture.
(c) That the place is full of anti-Japanese propaganda.
(d) That the place is now erased of all Japanese culture.
2. In the opening chapter, what is Naomi's Uncle doing in the grass?
3. Which country does Aunt Emily claim is the most racist toward the Japanese people?
4. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
5. In the childhood story that Naomi is frequently told, from what piece of fruit does the little boy appear from?
(a) A cherry.
(b) A peach.
(c) A pineapple.
(d) A banana.
6. How much did the government offer to pay Grandpa Kato for his Cadillac during WWII?
(a) Three thousand dollars.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) Three hundred dollars.
(d) Thirty dollars.
7. During their relocation, what part of Stephen's body is in a cast?
(a) His back.
(b) His leg.
(c) His arm.
(d) His foot.
8. How does Naomi feel about the racism she experienced as a child, now as an adult?
(a) She is apathetic to the racism.
(b) She is furious about the racism.
(c) She is amused by the racism.
(d) She is confused by the racism.
9. When Naomi's mother abandoned her, where does Naomi remember her mother moved to?
(b) The United States.
10. What does Naomi help Nomura-obasan use while she is living with the Nakane family?
(a) The outhouse.
(b) The computer.
(c) The dishwasher.
(d) The washing machine.
11. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
(a) Valentine's Day.
(b) New Year's Day.
(d) Christmas Day.
12. Which of the following characters is NOT held in a SIck Bay?
(a) Naomi's Obasan.
(b) Naomi's Grandfather.
(c) Naomi's Grandmother.
(d) Naomi's Father.
13. What did Naomi's parents do that was unusual within their community?
(a) They did not have an arranged marriage.
(b) They adopted their children.
(c) They did not speak Japanese with their families.
(d) They decided not to be married.
14. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
(a) Naomi's grandmother.
(b) Naomi's Uncle.
(c) Naomi's father.
(d) Naomi's Obasan.
15. Which of the following best describes "Sick Bays"?
(a) Hospital wards.
(b) Vacation beaches.
(c) Holding areas.
(d) Language classrooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
2. What type of dance does Uncle perform when he appears in Naomi's dream?
3. There is a woman on the relocation train holding a baby; what is wrong with it?
4. When Naomi was being sexually abused as a child, who does she remember telling?
5. What type of animal does Naomi remember raising as a child?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)