|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the childhood story that Naomi was frequently told, what is the name of the little boy who appears to Grandmother and Grandfather?
2. What ethnicity is the officer in Naomi's dream?
3. What is the name of Naomi's older brother?
4. Which of the following is NOT a true statement about Naomi's childhood, according to Aunt Emily?
(a) Naomi was frequently punished.
(b) Naomi never spoke.
(c) Naomi was never punished.
(d) Naomi never smiled.
5. What is the name of the town that Naomi and her family are relocated to?
6. How many rooms does the hut that the Nakame family is relocated to have?
(a) Two rooms.
(b) Three rooms.
(c) Four rooms.
(d) One room.
7. When Aunt Emily is giving the speech about racism throughout the world, what reaction does Naomi have?
(a) She is inspired.
(b) She is unmoved.
(c) She is amused.
(d) She is embarrassed.
8. Which generation of Japanese-Canadians are the Nisei?
(a) First generation.
(b) Third generation.
(c) Fourth generation.
(d) Second generation.
9. What event were the Japanese-Canadians subjected to, an event that Naomi remembers frequently experienced?
(b) Water deprivation.
(c) Food depriviation.
(d) Sleep deprivation.
10. How does Naomi feel about the racism she experienced as a child, now as an adult?
(a) She is furious about the racism.
(b) She is confused by the racism.
(c) She is apathetic to the racism.
(d) She is amused by the racism.
11. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
(a) She does not remember the music.
(b) She is haunted by the sounds of music.
(c) She remembers the music fondly.
(d) She is filled with fear when she hears the music.
12. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe Obasan as Naomi sees her?
(a) Obasan has a gummy mouth.
(b) Obasan is going blind.
(c) Obasan is almost deaf.
(d) Obasan has a hump growing on her back.
13. What type of exercises does Father send to Stephen while he is away?
(a) Language exercises.
(b) Math exercises.
(c) Music exercises.
(d) Science exercises.
14. Who does Naomi remember staring at her while she begged for help after witnessing the traumatic event with her animals?
(a) Mrs. Sugimoto.
(b) Dr. Kato.
(c) Rough Bill Locke.
(d) Mr. Gower.
15. Which character teaches Naomi that it was impolite to look anyone directly in the eyes?
(a) Naomi's Obasan.
(b) Naomi's Uncle.
(c) Naomi's father.
(d) Naomi's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Obasan awakens Naomi in the middle of the night, where does she take her?
2. What did Naomi's grandfather spend his life building?
3. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
4. What type of flower does Uncle have in his mouth when he appears in Naomi's dream?
5. What ethnicity is Naomi Nakane?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)