|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Naomi feel about the racism she experienced as a child, now as an adult?
(a) She is apathetic to the racism.
(b) She is confused by the racism.
(c) She is furious about the racism.
(d) She is amused by the racism.
2. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
(a) Christmas Day.
(b) Valentine's Day.
(c) New Year's Day.
3. How does Stephen feel about his Japanese heritage?
(a) He believes it is an impediment to his life.
(b) He thinks that the Japanese people are better than all others.
(c) He is proud of his heritage and wants to stand up for it.
(d) He does not care either way about being Japanese.
4. What type of flower does Uncle have in his mouth when he appears in Naomi's dream?
(a) A lily.
(b) A daisy.
(c) A rose.
(d) A tulip.
5. When Aunt Emily comes to visit Obasan and Naomi, who picks her up from the airport?
6. When Naomi's mother abandoned her, where does Naomi remember her mother moved to?
(a) The United States.
7. What insect swarms the house that the Nakane family is relocated to?
(a) Horse flies.
(c) Praying Mantises.
8. During their relocation, what part of Stephen's body is in a cast?
(a) His foot.
(b) His arm.
(c) His back.
(d) His leg.
9. How much did the government offer to pay Grandpa Kato for his Cadillac during WWII?
(a) Three thousand dollars.
(b) Thirty dollars.
(c) Three dollars.
(d) Three hundred dollars.
10. In Naomi's dream, who is with her on the mountain?
(a) An unidentified man.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her Obasan.
(d) Her sister.
11. How old is Nomura-obasan?
12. Which of the following best describes "Sick Bays"?
(a) Language classrooms.
(b) Vacation beaches.
(c) Hospital wards.
(d) Holding areas.
13. Which of the following objects does Naomi NOT find in one of Obasan's storage boxes?
(a) Her Uncle's ID badge.
(b) Her grandfather's tools.
(c) Her Aunt's photo album.
(d) Her mother's quilt.
14. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
15. How old is Naomi in the last photo taken of her and her mother?
(a) An adult.
(b) An infant.
(c) A toddler.
(d) A teenager.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symptom of sickness begins to plague Naomi's father during WW!!?
2. In Naomi's reccurring dream, what are the three Oriental women wearing?
3. Who dies in Naomi's family, prompting her to visit her Obasan?
4. At whose home does Naomi remember spending most of her time growing up?
5. Who does Naomi remember staring at her while she begged for help after witnessing the traumatic event with her animals?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)