|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What toy does Naomi play with for the duration of the relocation train ride?
(a) A stuffed bear.
(b) A jigsaw puzzle.
(c) A coloring book.
(d) A doll.
2. Who does Father ask to care for the family possessions in the case that he will be sent to internment?
(a) Aunt Emily.
(b) Old Man Gower.
(c) Grandfather Kato.
3. At whose home does Naomi remember spending most of her time growing up?
(a) At Grandmother Kato's.
(b) At Obasan's.
(c) At Aunt Emily's.
(d) At Grandmother Nakane's.
4. After the traumatic event with the animals, what does Naomi remember entering her yard, preventing her from discussing the events with anyone?
(a) Loud neighbor boys.
(b) A group of soldiers.
(c) A gaggle of neighborhood gossips.
(d) A pack of wild dogs.
5. Which member of the Nakane family is the only member who does not play a musical instrument?
6. Which of the following is NOT included in the box that arrives from Aunt Emily?
(a) Old letters.
(b) A stuffed animal.
(c) Newspaper clippings.
(d) A scrapbook.
7. What ethnicity is Naomi Nakane?
8. The giant creature in Naomi's dream is a mix of what two animals?
(a) A dog and a lion.
(b) A bird and a bear.
(c) A lion and a bear.
(d) A bird and a dog.
9. What type of dance does Uncle perform when he appears in Naomi's dream?
(a) A death dance.
(b) A rain dance.
(c) A fire dance.
(d) A birth dance.
10. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) Valentine's Day.
11. Which of the following descriptions does NOT describe Obasan as Naomi sees her?
(a) Obasan is going blind.
(b) Obasan has a gummy mouth.
(c) Obasan is almost deaf.
(d) Obasan has a hump growing on her back.
12. Which character calls Naomi's mother "Nassan"?
(c) Grandpa Kato.
(d) Aunt Emily.
13. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is confused.
14. During their relocation, what part of Stephen's body is in a cast?
(a) His foot.
(b) His arm.
(c) His leg.
(d) His back.
15. How does Stephen feel about his Japanese heritage?
(a) He thinks that the Japanese people are better than all others.
(b) He does not care either way about being Japanese.
(c) He is proud of his heritage and wants to stand up for it.
(d) He believes it is an impediment to his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her final letter to her sister, what interesting question does Aunt Emily ask?
2. When Naomi was being sexually abused as a child, who does she remember telling?
3. What event were the Japanese-Canadians subjected to, an event that Naomi remembers frequently experienced?
4. How old is Naomi when her family is sent into relocation?
5. How old is Naomi when she returns to the relocation camp after its liberation?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)