|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Naomi feel about her Aunt's revolutionary thinking?
(a) She is inspired by it.
(b) She is terrified of it.
(c) She is amused by it.
(d) She is uncomfortable with it.
2. During their relocation, what part of Stephen's body is in a cast?
(a) His leg.
(b) His arm.
(c) His foot.
(d) His back.
3. Which of the following is NOT a true statement about Naomi's childhood, according to Aunt Emily?
(a) Naomi never spoke.
(b) Naomi never smiled.
(c) Naomi was never punished.
(d) Naomi was frequently punished.
4. What type of exercises does Father send to Stephen while he is away?
(a) Math exercises.
(b) Music exercises.
(c) Science exercises.
(d) Language exercises.
5. What is Naomi afraid may be hiding in the grass?
6. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
(a) She is haunted by the sounds of music.
(b) She does not remember the music.
(c) She remembers the music fondly.
(d) She is filled with fear when she hears the music.
7. After the traumatic event with the animals, what does Naomi remember entering her yard, preventing her from discussing the events with anyone?
(a) A group of soldiers.
(b) A gaggle of neighborhood gossips.
(c) Loud neighbor boys.
(d) A pack of wild dogs.
8. What did Aunt Emily want to do for a living, but was never able to find work?
(a) She wanted to be a political activist.
(b) She wanted to be a dancer.
(c) She wanted to be a teacher.
(d) She wanted to be a painter.
9. Who dies in Naomi's family, prompting her to visit her Obasan?
(a) Her Father.
(b) Her Mother.
(c) Her Uncle.
(d) Her Aunt.
10. Which of the following characters does NOT return to the relocation camp after liberation?
(b) Aunt Emily.
11. What does Naomi help Nomura-obasan use while she is living with the Nakane family?
(a) The washing machine.
(b) The computer.
(c) The outhouse.
(d) The dishwasher.
12. What does Naomi's husband do for a living?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) Naomi does not have a husband.
13. What type of flower does Uncle have in his mouth when he appears in Naomi's dream?
(a) A rose.
(b) A daisy.
(c) A lily.
(d) A tulip.
14. Which character calls Naomi's mother "Nassan"?
(b) Grandpa Kato.
(d) Aunt Emily.
15. What ethnicity is Naomi Nakane?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Naomi when she returns to the relocation camp after its liberation?
2. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
3. Which country does Aunt Emily claim is the most racist toward the Japanese people?
4. Which character teaches Naomi that it was impolite to look anyone directly in the eyes?
5. What is the name of the boy that Naomi remembers playing hide-and-seek with as a child?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)