|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which generation of Japanese-Canadians are the Nisei?
(a) Third generation.
(b) First generation.
(c) Fourth generation.
(d) Second generation.
2. How many children do Obasan and Uncle have?
3. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
(a) Naomi's Uncle.
(b) Naomi's Obasan.
(c) Naomi's grandmother.
(d) Naomi's father.
4. In what country does the novel take place?
(c) The United States.
5. What does the Nakane family realize about their relocation camp when they return to visit after liberation?
(a) That the place is now erased of all Japanese culture.
(b) That the place is full of anti-Japanese propaganda.
(c) That the place is now full of Japanese culture.
(d) That the place is an even mix of Japanese and French culture.
6. After the traumatic event with the animals, what does Naomi remember entering her yard, preventing her from discussing the events with anyone?
(a) A group of soldiers.
(b) Loud neighbor boys.
(c) A pack of wild dogs.
(d) A gaggle of neighborhood gossips.
7. In Naomi's dream, who is with her on the mountain?
(a) An unidentified man.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her Obasan.
(d) Her sister.
8. What part of a woman's dress is given to the mother on the train so that she can fashion a diaper for her baby?
(a) A pair of pantyhose.
(b) A sweater.
(c) An underskirt.
(d) A pair of bloomers.
9. What ethnicity is Naomi Nakane?
10. How much did the government offer to pay Grandpa Kato for his Cadillac during WWII?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) Thirty dollars.
(c) Three dollars.
(d) Three thousand dollars.
11. How does Naomi feel about the racism she experienced as a child, now as an adult?
(a) She is furious about the racism.
(b) She is confused by the racism.
(c) She is amused by the racism.
(d) She is apathetic to the racism.
12. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is apathetic.
13. What type of dance does Uncle perform when he appears in Naomi's dream?
(a) A birth dance.
(b) A death dance.
(c) A fire dance.
(d) A rain dance.
14. What type of animal does Naomi remember raising as a child?
15. What does "Obasan" mean in Japanese?
Short Answer Questions
1. What ethnicity is the officer in Naomi's dream?
2. After the Nakane family is separated from Aunt Emily, how many years will they be apart?
3. Which recipe did Uncle spend years trying to perfect?
4. Which character receives "The Book of Knowledge" as a gift?
5. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)