|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What insect swarms the house that the Nakane family is relocated to?
(a) Praying Mantises.
(b) Horse flies.
2. What does Naomi help Nomura-obasan use while she is living with the Nakane family?
(a) The computer.
(b) The washing machine.
(c) The outhouse.
(d) The dishwasher.
3. Which of the following is NOT described as filling Naomi's childhood home?
4. What ethnicity is the officer in Naomi's dream?
5. For how many years are Naomi and her family in relocation?
(a) Eleven years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Twenty-one years.
(d) Seven years.
6. Which generation of Japanese-Canadians are the Nisei?
(a) Second generation.
(b) Fourth generation.
(c) Third generation.
(d) First generation.
7. How does Stephen feel about his Japanese heritage?
(a) He is proud of his heritage and wants to stand up for it.
(b) He does not care either way about being Japanese.
(c) He believes it is an impediment to his life.
(d) He thinks that the Japanese people are better than all others.
8. After the traumatic event with the animals, what does Naomi remember entering her yard, preventing her from discussing the events with anyone?
(a) Loud neighbor boys.
(b) A group of soldiers.
(c) A pack of wild dogs.
(d) A gaggle of neighborhood gossips.
9. Who does Naomi remember staring at her while she begged for help after witnessing the traumatic event with her animals?
(a) Mrs. Sugimoto.
(b) Rough Bill Locke.
(c) Dr. Kato.
(d) Mr. Gower.
10. What type of pastor is Nakayama-sensei?
11. In the childhood story that Naomi was frequently told, what is the name of the little boy who appears to Grandmother and Grandfather?
12. Who dies in Naomi's family, prompting her to visit her Obasan?
(a) Her Aunt.
(b) Her Uncle.
(c) Her Father.
(d) Her Mother.
13. What did Naomi's grandfather spend his life building?
14. What did Aunt Emily want to do for a living, but was never able to find work?
(a) She wanted to be a political activist.
(b) She wanted to be a dancer.
(c) She wanted to be a teacher.
(d) She wanted to be a painter.
15. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of dance does Uncle perform when he appears in Naomi's dream?
2. What event were the Japanese-Canadians subjected to, an event that Naomi remembers frequently experienced?
3. How much did the government offer to pay Grandpa Kato for his Cadillac during WWII?
4. In her final letter to her sister, what interesting question does Aunt Emily ask?
5. How does Naomi feel about her Aunt's revolutionary thinking?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)