|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country does Aunt Emily claim is the most racist toward the Japanese people?
2. How old is Naomi when she returns to the relocation camp after its liberation?
(a) Seventeen years old.
(b) Twenty-six years old.
(c) Thirty-one years old.
(d) Nineteen years old.
3. Which generation of Japanese-Canadians are the Nisei?
(a) Fourth generation.
(b) First generation.
(c) Second generation.
(d) Third generation.
4. Which of the following best describes "Sick Bays"?
(a) Vacation beaches.
(b) Holding areas.
(c) Hospital wards.
(d) Language classrooms.
5. Who does Naomi remember staring at her while she begged for help after witnessing the traumatic event with her animals?
(a) Mr. Gower.
(b) Rough Bill Locke.
(c) Mrs. Sugimoto.
(d) Dr. Kato.
6. What origami animals does Naomi frequently fold?
(a) Paper cranes.
(b) Paper horses.
(c) Paper frogs.
(d) Paper pigs.
7. What is Naomi afraid may be hiding in the grass?
8. What traumatic incident does Naomi remember witnessing with the animals that she was raising?
(a) Her father killing one of her animals for dinner.
(b) A mother animal killing its baby.
(c) A large hawk swooping down and stealing one of her animals.
(d) Her brother drowning one of her animals.
9. In her final letter to her sister, what interesting question does Aunt Emily ask?
(a) If her sister was pregnant.
(b) If her sister was ever coming home.
(c) If her sister was alive.
(d) If her sister loved her husband.
10. What part of a woman's dress is given to the mother on the train so that she can fashion a diaper for her baby?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A pair of pantyhose.
(c) A pair of bloomers.
(d) An underskirt.
11. In Naomi's dream, who is with her on the mountain?
(a) An unidentified man.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her Obasan.
12. After the Nakane family is separated from Aunt Emily, how many years will they be apart?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Ten years.
13. What did Naomi's grandfather spend his life building?
14. Which of the following best describes the conditions of the internment camps?
(a) Much food, and much hygiene.
(b) Little food, but much hygiene.
(c) Little food, and little hygiene.
(d) Much food, but little hygiene.
15. What type of pastor is Nakayama-sensei?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Naomi's reccurring dream, what are the three Oriental women wearing?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT return to the relocation camp after liberation?
3. When Obasan awakens Naomi in the middle of the night, where does she take her?
4. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
5. How many children do Obasan and Uncle have?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)