|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The giant creature in Naomi's dream is a mix of what two animals?
(a) A dog and a lion.
(b) A bird and a dog.
(c) A bird and a bear.
(d) A lion and a bear.
2. How does Stephen feel about his Japanese heritage?
(a) He is proud of his heritage and wants to stand up for it.
(b) He believes it is an impediment to his life.
(c) He does not care either way about being Japanese.
(d) He thinks that the Japanese people are better than all others.
3. Which of the following characters is NOT held in a SIck Bay?
(a) Naomi's Grandfather.
(b) Naomi's Obasan.
(c) Naomi's Grandmother.
(d) Naomi's Father.
4. What does Naomi help Nomura-obasan use while she is living with the Nakane family?
(a) The computer.
(b) The washing machine.
(c) The dishwasher.
(d) The outhouse.
5. What does the Nakane family realize about their relocation camp when they return to visit after liberation?
(a) That the place is now erased of all Japanese culture.
(b) That the place is full of anti-Japanese propaganda.
(c) That the place is now full of Japanese culture.
(d) That the place is an even mix of Japanese and French culture.
6. How old is Nomura-obasan?
7. What insect swarms the house that the Nakane family is relocated to?
(b) Horse flies.
(d) Praying Mantises.
8. What article of Stephen's clothing is damaged by a racist classmate?
(a) His glasses.
(b) His pants.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His shoes.
9. Which character teaches Naomi that it was impolite to look anyone directly in the eyes?
(a) Naomi's Uncle.
(b) Naomi's father.
(c) Naomi's mother.
(d) Naomi's Obasan.
10. Which generation of Japanese-Canadians are the Nisei?
(a) Third generation.
(b) Second generation.
(c) First generation.
(d) Fourth generation.
11. What is the name of the boy that Naomi remembers playing hide-and-seek with as a child?
12. After the traumatic event with the animals, what does Naomi remember entering her yard, preventing her from discussing the events with anyone?
(a) A gaggle of neighborhood gossips.
(b) A pack of wild dogs.
(c) A group of soldiers.
(d) Loud neighbor boys.
13. On what day does Aunt Emily write her first letter to Naomi's mother about the state of racism in Canada?
(b) Valentine's Day.
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) Christmas Day.
14. What type of flower does Uncle have in his mouth when he appears in Naomi's dream?
(a) A tulip.
(b) A lily.
(c) A daisy.
(d) A rose.
15. Which of the following objects does Naomi NOT find in one of Obasan's storage boxes?
(a) Her mother's quilt.
(b) Her Aunt's photo album.
(c) Her grandfather's tools.
(d) Her Uncle's ID badge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT included in the box that arrives from Aunt Emily?
2. Who dies in Naomi's family, prompting her to visit her Obasan?
3. What does Obasan give to the woman with the baby on the train?
4. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
5. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)