|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which member of the Nakane family is the only member who does not play a musical instrument?
2. How much did the government offer to pay Grandpa Kato for his Cadillac during WWII?
(a) Three thousand dollars.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) Thirty dollars.
(d) Three hundred dollars.
3. After the Nakane family is separated from Aunt Emily, how many years will they be apart?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Five years.
4. In Naomi's dream, who is with her on the mountain?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her brother.
(c) An unidentified man.
(d) Her Obasan.
5. In what country does the novel take place?
(c) The United States.
6. What does the Nakane family realize about their relocation camp when they return to visit after liberation?
(a) That the place is an even mix of Japanese and French culture.
(b) That the place is now full of Japanese culture.
(c) That the place is now erased of all Japanese culture.
(d) That the place is full of anti-Japanese propaganda.
7. After the traumatic event with the animals, what does Naomi remember entering her yard, preventing her from discussing the events with anyone?
(a) A pack of wild dogs.
(b) A gaggle of neighborhood gossips.
(c) Loud neighbor boys.
(d) A group of soldiers.
8. Which of Naomi's family members was held in an internment camp during WWII?
(a) Naomi's Uncle.
(b) Naomi's father.
(c) Naomi's Obasan.
(d) Naomi's grandmother.
9. How are Naomi and her family transported to their relocation camp?
(a) By train.
(b) By boat.
(c) By car.
(d) By bus.
10. What article of Stephen's clothing is damaged by a racist classmate?
(a) His glasses.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His pants.
11. What type of exercises does Father send to Stephen while he is away?
(a) Math exercises.
(b) Science exercises.
(c) Music exercises.
(d) Language exercises.
12. What type of animal does Naomi remember raising as a child?
13. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
(a) She does not remember the music.
(b) She is haunted by the sounds of music.
(c) She remembers the music fondly.
(d) She is filled with fear when she hears the music.
14. In her final letter to her sister, what interesting question does Aunt Emily ask?
(a) If her sister was alive.
(b) If her sister was ever coming home.
(c) If her sister was pregnant.
(d) If her sister loved her husband.
15. In the opening chapter, what is Naomi's Uncle doing in the grass?
Short Answer Questions
1. What traumatic incident does Naomi remember witnessing with the animals that she was raising?
2. How old is Naomi when she returns to the relocation camp after its liberation?
3. In the childhood story that Naomi is frequently told, from what piece of fruit does the little boy appear from?
4. What is Naomi afraid may be hiding in the grass?
5. What symptom of sickness begins to plague Naomi's father during WW!!?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)