|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Naomi's grandfather spend his life building?
2. There is a woman on the relocation train holding a baby; what is wrong with it?
(a) The baby starts choking on food.
(b) Nothing was wrong with the baby.
(c) The baby was born premature.
(d) The baby toddles off and falls.
3. After the Nakane family is separated from Aunt Emily, how many years will they be apart?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Five years.
4. When Obasan awakens Naomi in the middle of the night, where does she take her?
(a) Up into the attic.
(b) Out into the barn.
(c) Down into the cellar.
(d) Out into the garage.
5. What is the name of the town that Naomi and her family are relocated to?
6. Which of the following best describes the conditions of the internment camps?
(a) Much food, and much hygiene.
(b) Little food, and little hygiene.
(c) Much food, but little hygiene.
(d) Little food, but much hygiene.
7. How does Naomi feel about her Aunt's revolutionary thinking?
(a) She is terrified of it.
(b) She is amused by it.
(c) She is uncomfortable with it.
(d) She is inspired by it.
8. In the childhood story that Naomi is frequently told, from what piece of fruit does the little boy appear from?
(a) A peach.
(b) A banana.
(c) A pineapple.
(d) A cherry.
9. What type of dance does Uncle perform when he appears in Naomi's dream?
(a) A death dance.
(b) A fire dance.
(c) A rain dance.
(d) A birth dance.
10. When Aunt Emily comes to visit Obasan and Naomi, who picks her up from the airport?
11. Who dies in Naomi's family, prompting her to visit her Obasan?
(a) Her Aunt.
(b) Her Uncle.
(c) Her Mother.
(d) Her Father.
12. Which character developed a limp during WWII?
13. How old is Naomi when she returns to the relocation camp after its liberation?
(a) Thirty-one years old.
(b) Nineteen years old.
(c) Seventeen years old.
(d) Twenty-six years old.
14. Which generation of Japanese-Canadians are the Nisei?
(a) Third generation.
(b) Second generation.
(c) Fourth generation.
(d) First generation.
15. What part of a woman's dress is given to the mother on the train so that she can fashion a diaper for her baby?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A pair of bloomers.
(c) A pair of pantyhose.
(d) An underskirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, how does Naomi remember the sounds of music that filled the house?
2. How does Stephen feel about being relocated from his home?
3. At whose home does Naomi remember spending most of her time growing up?
4. Which of the following characters does NOT return to the relocation camp after liberation?
5. How old is Naomi when her family is sent into relocation?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)