|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jem not believe that she and Spider will have a life together?
2. Where does Jem consider jumping from in the church?
3. Who stops a man who will soon die from confronting Jem in the church?
4. Who in the church does Jem tell her secret to?
5. What does Britney feed Jem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Jem not able to go to the cremation of Spider?
2. How does Karen die?
3. What does Jem use the church keys to do?
4. Why does Jem go to Weston?
5. How does Jem get some money in the woods?
6. How does this book end?
7. What makes Jem think that Spider is killed when captured?
8. What keeps Jem from killing herself?
9. What major change came over Jem in the hospital?
10. How does Spider get captured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Rachel Ward have chosen these particular settings?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security are two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)