|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jem head when she learns Spider has been captured?
2. Where is there a spare set of keys in the church?
3. Why can't the police take Jem away from the church?
4. How does Jem learn about what her son knows about her?
5. What does Jem think might save Spider?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karen die?
2. Why does Jem stop hanging out in the places kids go when they have nothing to do?
3. How does Jem feel when Spider says others may have Jem's gift?
4. What brings Jem to understand a bit of her mother's dependency on drugs?
5. What does Jemma demand in return for her story to the police?
6. Why was Jem not able to go to the cremation of Spider?
7. Why do Jem and Spider look so guilty to the police?
8. How does Jem stop the people in the church from clamoring around her?
9. What does Simon suggest Jem do about her situation?
10. What major change came over Jem in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of special needs children was central to this plot. How did this theme affect the main characters, and why do you think this was such an important theme for the author to present with this book.
Essay Topic 2
What did Jem learn from her lonely trek in the woods, and how did this change her life?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)