|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jem learn Spider has been captured?
2. Where does Jem head when she learns Spider has been captured?
3. What does Britney's father do for a living?
4. What does Karen plead with Jem to help her with?
5. How does Jem feel about the person counseling the people wanting to speak to Jem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jem go to Weston?
2. How does Karen die?
3. How does Karen respond when she hears about Jem's power?
4. What does Simon suggest Jem do about her situation?
5. What does Jemma demand in return for her story to the police?
6. How does this book end?
7. What secret does Anne tell Jem?
8. What keeps Jem from killing herself?
9. Why do Jem and Spider look so guilty to the police?
10. What makes Jem think that Spider is killed when captured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Rachel Ward have chosen these particular settings?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
What does Jem feel about friendship, and why is this so central to the plot?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)