|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who counsels the people trying to speak to Jem?
2. What keeps Jem from killing herself?
3. Why does Jem talk to Britney until so late in the night?
4. What does Britney ask Jem?
5. What does the older man who works with Simon want Jem to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Anne tell Jem?
2. Why does Jem say she hates her mother?
3. Why does Jem go to Weston?
4. What happens when Jem tries to eat after splitting up from Spider?
5. Why is the rector's wife afraid of Jem?
6. How does Karen die?
7. What does Jem say when Britney asks her about her foster mother?
8. Why does Jem decide to tell Karen about her gift?
9. What good does Anne say can come from Jem's gift?
10. What does Jem use the church keys to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security are two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this novel had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and then write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)