|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops a man who will soon die from confronting Jem in the church?
2. What makes the rector's wife afraid of Jem?
3. How does Britney cover for Jem when she leaves the house?
4. Why can't the police take Jem away from the church?
5. What made Jem forget about her danger for a few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Britney do for Jem?
2. What secret does Anne tell Jem?
3. What does Jem say when Britney asks her about her foster mother?
4. What good does Anne say can come from Jem's gift?
5. What does Jem use the church keys to do?
6. How does Jem feel when Spider says others may have Jem's gift?
7. Why does Jem stop hanging out in the places kids go when they have nothing to do?
8. Why is it so ironic for Britney to help Jem?
9. Why was Jem not able to go to the cremation of Spider?
10. What happens when Jem tries to eat after splitting up from Spider?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and then write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)