|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the older man who works with Simon demand Jem be searched for?
2. Where does Jem worry she will be taken if her secret gets out?
3. What eats a good portion of Jem's food from Britney's house?
4. Why does Jem think the police will frame her for the bombing?
5. How does Karen look when she gets to the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jem stop hanging out in the places kids go when they have nothing to do?
2. Why does Jem say she hates her mother?
3. Why is the rector's wife afraid of Jem?
4. How does Karen respond when she hears about Jem's power?
5. What good does Anne say can come from Jem's gift?
6. What makes Jem think that Spider is killed when captured?
7. What does Simon suggest Jem do about her situation?
8. What does Jem use the church keys to do?
9. How does Jem get some money in the woods?
10. Why is it so ironic for Britney to help Jem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Jem feel about friendship, and why is this so central to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and then write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)