|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Spider when he first kisses Jem?
2. Who found Jem's mother's body when she died?
3. What class is Jem trying hard in at the beginning of the book?
4. What makes Jem think she and Spider are meant to be friends?
5. How does Jem feel when she is invited to a party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jem feel partially guilty about her mother's death?
2. Why does Jem say she never wants children?
3. What mistake does Jem make while buying a map?
4. What makes the moment so awkward after Jem and Spider make love?
5. What does Val realize when Jem refuses to say she will take care of Spider?
6. Who is Cyril, and how does Jem learn about him?
7. Why does Jem not take up the offer of the woman in town who knows she is a run away?
8. What does Spider want to do after stealing a car?
9. How does Jem save Spider in the woods?
10. What does Jem see on the newspaper when eating in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne and Karen are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two women in Jem's life.
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and then write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)