|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spider get upset with Jem for not bringing on their trip?
2. What does Jem notice first about many of the people at the party?
3. Who recognizes Jem and Spider as runaways in the town they hitch hike to?
4. What does a woman with a car accidentally give Jem to eat?
5. Where does Jem meet Terry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Karen different for Jem than other people who had her position?
2. What idea does Jem wrestle with after saving Spider in the woods?
3. What does Mr. McNulty say Jem will become in class one day, and why?
4. What strange thing does Jem notice while at the Eye of London?
5. How does Jem feel after she destroys everything she owns, and why?
6. What does Val realize when Jem refuses to say she will take care of Spider?
7. How does the dance in the rain change Jem?
8. Why is Jem so hesitant to become friends with Terry?
9. Why does Jem stop Spider from getting food in the wild?
10. Why does the woman in town offer to do a favor for Jem and Spider?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)