|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jem when she reveals she never wants children?
2. What does the man with the near death date ask Jem for?
3. Who recognizes Spider at a gas station?
4. How does Spider initially respond to hearing about Jem's power?
5. How old is Jem at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake does Jem make while buying a map?
2. How does this book end?
3. What good does Anne say can come from Jem's gift?
4. Why is the rector's wife afraid of Jem?
5. How does Karen respond when she hears about Jem's power?
6. What does Simon suggest Jem do about her situation?
7. How does Jem feel when Spider says others may have Jem's gift?
8. Why does Jem decide to tell Karen about her gift?
9. What illegal activity is Spider involved in?
10. How does Jem feel after she destroys everything she owns, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of special needs children was central to this plot. How did this theme affect the main characters, and why do you think this was such an important theme for the author to present with this book.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jem show her persistant nature, and what effect does this attribute have on other people in her life?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)