|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Jem see the dates?
2. What caused the explosion?
3. What does Spider say helped them get away from the explosion?
4. How does Spider plan to spend the nights on his way to the coast?
5. What does Spider say Jem saved him from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Spider calm down Jem about her guilt over the explosion?
2. Why does Jem say she never wants children?
3. Why does the woman in town offer to do a favor for Jem and Spider?
4. How is Karen different for Jem than other people who had her position?
5. How does Jem know Spider is involved in something illegal?
6. What strange thing does Jem notice while at the Eye of London?
7. How does Jem feel after she destroys everything she owns, and why?
8. How does the dance in the rain change Jem?
9. What does Val realize when Jem refuses to say she will take care of Spider?
10. What does Jem see on the newspaper when eating in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What caused Jem to be a suspect in the explosion, and how did she respond to this situation?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Rachel Ward have chosen these particular settings?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)