|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman who recognizes Jem and Spider as runaways offer to do for them?
2. What kind of car does Spider steal?
3. How old is Jem at the beginning of the book?
4. What is Spider suspended for?
5. Which teacher does Spider agree with about his future?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jem know Spider is involved in something illegal?
2. Why does Jem not take up the offer of the woman in town who knows she is a run away?
3. Who is Cyril, and how does Jem learn about him?
4. How does Spider show his optimistic attitude in the woods?
5. How does Jem save Spider in the woods?
6. How are Jem and Spider forced to leave the stolen car?
7. What does Val realize when Jem refuses to say she will take care of Spider?
8. What mistake does Jem make while buying a map?
9. How does Spider calm down Jem about her guilt over the explosion?
10. What does Spider want to do after stealing a car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Jem's ability, and how did it shape her life for good and bad?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this novel had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and then write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)