|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house is the party held at?
2. Why is Jem trying hard at a class in the beginning of the book?
3. What is the first compliment Terry gives Jem?
4. What do Jem and Spider do when a vehicle scares them in the night?
5. Who recognizes Spider at a gas station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Val realize when Jem refuses to say she will take care of Spider?
2. How does Spider show his optimistic attitude in the woods?
3. What special gift does Jem have?
4. How does Spider calm down Jem about her guilt over the explosion?
5. Why does Jem say she never wants children?
6. Who is Cyril, and how does Jem learn about him?
7. How does Jem feel after she destroys everything she owns, and why?
8. What idea does Jem wrestle with after saving Spider in the woods?
9. What does Jem tell Mr. McNulty she wants to be when she grows up?
10. What does Jem see on the newspaper when eating in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Rachel Ward have chosen these particular settings?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jem show her persistant nature, and what effect does this attribute have on other people in her life?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)