|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jem when she reveals she never wants children?
2. How does Jem feel while hiking with Spider?
3. What class is Jem trying hard in at the beginning of the book?
4. What do the numbers that Jem sees indicate?
5. What does Spider say he will do if the police catch him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jem feel partially guilty about her mother's death?
2. What does Spider want to do after stealing a car?
3. Why does Spider steal a car to get out of the city?
4. How does Jem feel after she destroys everything she owns, and why?
5. Why does the woman in town offer to do a favor for Jem and Spider?
6. Who is Cyril, and how does Jem learn about him?
7. What does Mr. McNulty say Jem will become in class one day, and why?
8. How does Spider calm down Jem about her guilt over the explosion?
9. How does Spider calm Jem's fears about the cows?
10. How does Jem know Spider is involved in something illegal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor is something that many of the main characters strive for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jem show her persistant nature, and what effect does this attribute have on other people in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)