Chapters 1 through 4
• Jem is a 15 year old girl who is a foster child. She has been kicked out of many foster homes, and has changed schools many times.
• She has a favorite place by the canal where she hangs out. This is where she meets Spider. He seems nice, but she doesn't want to be his friend.
• Jem sees the numbers of Spider's death in a few months and doesn't want to befriend someone so near his death.
• Jemma used to brag about seeing the numbers. She didn't know they were death dates until her mother died of a drug overdose and she saw someone write out her death date.
• Jem tries hard in English because her foster mother, Karen, wants her to. Mr. McNulty says Jem will be a cleaning lady if she doesn't take school seriously.
• Mr. McNulty gives the class an assignment to write about...
This section contains 1,655 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)