|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
2. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
3. What does Henrik tease Annemarie about at the dinner table in Chapter 16?
4. What childhood story does Annemarie tell herself on the trip to her Uncle's boat to deliver a package?
5. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
2. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
3. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
4. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
5. What do the German soldiers want to know in Chapter 10?
6. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
7. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
8. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
9. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
10. Who tipped off the Rabbi who warned the Jews that the Germans were rounding them up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Annemarie must feel learning that her sister was a member of the Resistance.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the empty apartments must make the remaining residents.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)