|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Annemarie believe it will take Mama to take the Rosens to the boat?
2. How was Lise killed?
3. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
4. Why does Peter tell the group in Chapter 11 that they will need warm clothes?
5. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
2. What do the German soldiers want to know in Chapter 10?
3. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
4. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
5. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
6. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
7. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
8. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
9. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
10. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Annemarie as a character and human. Would you be able to be as brave as Annemarie? Support your answers
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the way the mother and daughter relationship in the book changed throughout the events. Use specific events from the story to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
In many aspects of this novel, characters needed to think and react quickly. Find at least five examples of how quick thinking helped at least one character in Number the Stars and discuss the situation. Use information from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)