|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the character who dies at the end of the book buried?
2. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
3. What does Mama give everyone in the group in Chapter 11?
4. Which word best describes how Annemarie thinks the Rosens look in their hand-me-down clothes?
5. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
2. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
3. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
4. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
5. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
6. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
7. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
8. In Chapter 16, where does Henrik tell Annemarie the Rosens are?
9. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
10. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many aspects of this novel, characters needed to think and react quickly. Find at least five examples of how quick thinking helped at least one character in Number the Stars and discuss the situation. Use information from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing how Annemarie or Papa must have felt, waiting for something in the current society. Use personal experience/knowledge and events from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing how reality was blended into fiction to create this novel. Use information from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)