|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Mama wrap the baby in Chapter 11?
2. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
3. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
4. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
5. What did Annemarie's mother tell her to be if she is stopped by soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
2. In Chapter 16, where does Henrik tell Annemarie the Rosens are?
3. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
4. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
5. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
6. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
7. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
8. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
9. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
10. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the empty apartments must make the remaining residents.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay reacting to this statement: "The greatest tragedies can inspire people to display bravery and moral courage." Use information from the text and personal experience throughout your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)