|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the German soldier ask Mama about the coffin in Chapter 10?
2. What does Annemarie do in Chapter 10 when the German soldier asks her about who died?
3. In what year did Denmark surrender to Germany?
4. Which of the following were mixed and placed on the handkerchief to confuse the dogs?
5. While on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat, Annemarie hits a fork in the path; which direction does she choose to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
2. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
3. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
4. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
6. Describe how Lise was killed.
7. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
8. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
9. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
10. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how at least two characters from the novel display a sense of pride through trying circumstances. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think it is important that Lois Lowry write a book about such a mature subject for younger children?
Essay Topic 3
In many aspects of this novel, characters needed to think and react quickly. Find at least five examples of how quick thinking helped at least one character in Number the Stars and discuss the situation. Use information from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)