|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
2. Which of the following were mixed and placed on the handkerchief to confuse the dogs?
3. Which of the following words best describes dinner with Uncle Henrik after he has delivered the Rosens to Sweden?
4. How long should Mama wait before she takes the second group to Henrik in Chapter 11?
5. How was Lise killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
2. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
3. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
4. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
5. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
6. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
7. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
8. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
9. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
10. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Number the Stars, there are a variety of contrasts. Choose two such contrasts and describe each in detail, using specific examples from the text. Include how each item is in contrast to the other. Be specific and detailed.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, the children are affected by the underlying tension of the adults around them. Write an essay describing how this worked and a time where you felt different because of the tension you sensed in the adults around you. Use information from the text and your own personal experience in developing this essay.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this novel, Annemarie seems to become more mature and adult-like, while Ellen seems to cling more and more to childhood. Write an essay describing why you think this occurs. Use information from the text to support your supposition.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)