|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the German soldiers holding when Annemarie first sees them when she is on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat?
2. What does Peter announce once the psalm has been read in Chapter 10?
3. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
4. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
5. How was Lise killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
2. How did Inge broken her ankle?
3. Who tipped off the Rabbi who warned the Jews that the Germans were rounding them up?
4. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
5. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
6. Describe how Lise was killed.
7. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
8. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
9. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
10. In Chapter 16, where does Henrik tell Annemarie the Rosens are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this novel, Annemarie seems to become more mature and adult-like, while Ellen seems to cling more and more to childhood. Write an essay describing why you think this occurs. Use information from the text to support your supposition.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Annemarie as a character and human. Would you be able to be as brave as Annemarie? Support your answers
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, the children are affected by the underlying tension of the adults around them. Write an essay describing how this worked and a time where you felt different because of the tension you sensed in the adults around you. Use information from the text and your own personal experience in developing this essay.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)