|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the king of Denmark during the occupation?
2. Who leads the first group of people to the boat in Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 17, how many more years is it until the war ends?
4. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
5. Which character slips on a loose step outside of the kitchen door?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
3. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
4. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
5. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
6. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
7. What do the German soldiers want to know in Chapter 10?
8. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
9. Who tipped off the Rabbi who warned the Jews that the Germans were rounding them up?
10. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think it is important that Lois Lowry write a book about such a mature subject for younger children?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this novel, Annemarie seems to become more mature and adult-like, while Ellen seems to cling more and more to childhood. Write an essay describing why you think this occurs. Use information from the text to support your supposition.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)