|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
2. How does Annemarie decide the dark shape out the window in Chapter 12 must be her mother?
3. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
4. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
5. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
2. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
3. What do the German soldiers want to know in Chapter 10?
4. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
5. Describe how Lise was killed.
6. How did Inge broken her ankle?
7. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
8. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
9. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
10. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the way the mother and daughter relationship in the book changed throughout the events. Use specific events from the story to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the empty apartments must make the remaining residents.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)