|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes how Annemarie thinks the Rosens look in their hand-me-down clothes?
2. While on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat, Annemarie hits a fork in the path; which direction does she choose to go?
3. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
4. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
5. Which of the following was not a reason Mama considered when allowing Annemarie the opportunity to deliver the package in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
2. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
3. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
4. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
5. Describe how Lise was killed.
6. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
7. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
8. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
9. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
10. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Annemarie was able to learn to become brave. Take time to explain how the character evolved throughout the book using specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay contrasting the fairy tale world and the actual events surrounding Ellen and Annemarie. Be sure to use specific examples from the story to support your contrasts.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)