|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mama's role in Chapter 12 very important?
2. What story would Inge tell the doctor about her injury?
3. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
4. Who does Annemarie think about while she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
5. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 16, where does Henrik tell Annemarie the Rosens are?
2. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
3. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
4. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
5. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
6. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
7. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
8. How did Inge broken her ankle?
9. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
10. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the empty apartments must make the remaining residents.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Number the Stars, there are a variety of contrasts. Choose two such contrasts and describe each in detail, using specific examples from the text. Include how each item is in contrast to the other. Be specific and detailed.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think it is important that Lois Lowry write a book about such a mature subject for younger children?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)