|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not a reason Mama considered when allowing Annemarie the opportunity to deliver the package in Chapter 13?
2. What does Annemarie do in Chapter 10 when the German soldier asks her about who died?
3. What childhood story does Annemarie tell herself on the trip to her Uncle's boat to deliver a package?
4. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
5. Annemarie is afraid of the German soldiers in the woods instead of which dangerous animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Lise was killed.
2. How did Inge broken her ankle?
3. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
4. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
5. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
6. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
7. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
8. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
9. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
10. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about heroism. Choose at least five characters and write how they demonstrate heroism. Use specific examples from the text to support your answers and essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting the fairy tale world and the actual events surrounding Ellen and Annemarie. Be sure to use specific examples from the story to support your contrasts.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think it is important that Lois Lowry write a book about such a mature subject for younger children?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)