|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annemarie take out of the pocket of Lise's yellow dress?
2. Which of the following was not a reason Mama considered when allowing Annemarie the opportunity to deliver the package in Chapter 13?
3. Annemarie is afraid of the German soldiers in the woods instead of which dangerous animals?
4. What does Mama give everyone in the group in Chapter 11?
5. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
2. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
3. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
4. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
5. What do the German soldiers want to know in Chapter 10?
6. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
7. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
8. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
9. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
10. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Annemarie was able to learn to become brave. Take time to explain how the character evolved throughout the book using specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting the fairy tale world and the actual events surrounding Ellen and Annemarie. Be sure to use specific examples from the story to support your contrasts.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Annemarie as a character and human. Would you be able to be as brave as Annemarie? Support your answers
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)