|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the character who dies at the end of the book buried?
2. What does the psalm talk about which was read to the group gathered at Uncle Herik's house in Chapter 10?
3. What does Peter tell Mama to do once she has delivered the Rosens to Henrik in Chapter 11?
4. Where does Annemarie assume the Rosens will be taken in Chapter 11?
5. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
2. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
3. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
4. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
5. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
6. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
7. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
8. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
9. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
10. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many aspects of this novel, characters needed to think and react quickly. Find at least five examples of how quick thinking helped at least one character in Number the Stars and discuss the situation. Use information from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Annemarie as a character and human. Would you be able to be as brave as Annemarie? Support your answers
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, the children are affected by the underlying tension of the adults around them. Write an essay describing how this worked and a time where you felt different because of the tension you sensed in the adults around you. Use information from the text and your own personal experience in developing this essay.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)