|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
2. Where does Annemarie assume the Rosens will be taken in Chapter 11?
3. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
4. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
5. Which of the following was not a reason Mama considered when allowing Annemarie the opportunity to deliver the package in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Lise was killed.
2. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
3. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
4. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
5. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
6. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
7. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
8. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
9. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
10. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay reacting to this statement: "The greatest tragedies can inspire people to display bravery and moral courage." Use information from the text and personal experience throughout your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing how reality was blended into fiction to create this novel. Use information from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing how Annemarie or Papa must have felt, waiting for something in the current society. Use personal experience/knowledge and events from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)