|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
2. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
3. What does the psalm talk about which was read to the group gathered at Uncle Herik's house in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Annemarie believe that Kirsti did not feel fear when stopped by the German soldiers?
5. What does Mama give everyone in the group in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
2. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
3. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
4. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
5. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
6. How did Inge broken her ankle?
7. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
8. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
9. Who tipped off the Rabbi who warned the Jews that the Germans were rounding them up?
10. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to safely escape from the German soldiers and deliver the package to Henrik, Annemarie pretended to be like her younger sister. Write an essay explaining why this was a good or not-so-good strategy. Use information from the story to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think it is important that Lois Lowry write a book about such a mature subject for younger children?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)