|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Mama wrap the baby in Chapter 11?
2. What does Ellen promise to Annemarie as they part in Chapter 12?
3. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
4. What does Peter give to Mr. Rosen in Chapter 11?
5. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
2. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
3. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
5. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
6. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
7. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
8. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
9. How did Inge broken her ankle?
10. What do the German soldiers want to know in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to safely escape from the German soldiers and deliver the package to Henrik, Annemarie pretended to be like her younger sister. Write an essay explaining why this was a good or not-so-good strategy. Use information from the story to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Annemarie was able to learn to become brave. Take time to explain how the character evolved throughout the book using specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, the children are affected by the underlying tension of the adults around them. Write an essay describing how this worked and a time where you felt different because of the tension you sensed in the adults around you. Use information from the text and your own personal experience in developing this essay.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)