|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What childhood story does Annemarie tell herself on the trip to her Uncle's boat to deliver a package?
2. What time is it when Mama and the Rosen's leave?
3. In Chapter 17, how many more years is it until the war ends?
4. What does Annemarie do when she comes upon the German soldiers in Chapter 15?
5. Which of the following were mixed and placed on the handkerchief to confuse the dogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
2. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
3. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
4. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
5. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
6. Who tipped off the Rabbi who warned the Jews that the Germans were rounding them up?
7. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
8. In Chapter 16, where does Henrik tell Annemarie the Rosens are?
9. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
10. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, the main character used a children's story to help her through a frightening time. Describe a time when you have used something from your childhood to help you through something that was difficult. Explain the event, how it helped, and what from your childhood you used.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Annemarie's concept and understanding of how to be heroic progress throughout the novel. Include specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay contrasting the fairy tale world and the actual events surrounding Ellen and Annemarie. Be sure to use specific examples from the story to support your contrasts.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)