|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
2. Which of the following words does not describe how Annemarie sees the world during the prayer reading in Chapter 10?
3. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
4. What story would Inge tell the doctor about her injury?
5. Who does the author credit for for helping her to write this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
2. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
3. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
4. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
5. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
6. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
7. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
8. In Chapter 16, where does Henrik tell Annemarie the Rosens are?
9. Who tipped off the Rabbi who warned the Jews that the Germans were rounding them up?
10. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the empty apartments must make the remaining residents.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the way the mother and daughter relationship in the book changed throughout the events. Use specific events from the story to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing how reality was blended into fiction to create this novel. Use information from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)