|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes how Annemarie thinks the Rosens look in their hand-me-down clothes?
2. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
3. Which of the following does Annemarie think must be scarier than being involved in dangerous situations?
4. Who does Annemarie think about while she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
5. Why does Annemarie say her Uncle won't eat fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
2. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
3. How did Inge broken her ankle?
4. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
5. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
6. Describe how Lise was killed.
7. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
8. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
9. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
10. In Chapter 16, where does Henrik tell Annemarie the Rosens are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, the main character used a children's story to help her through a frightening time. Describe a time when you have used something from your childhood to help you through something that was difficult. Explain the event, how it helped, and what from your childhood you used.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing how reality was blended into fiction to create this novel. Use information from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
In order to safely escape from the German soldiers and deliver the package to Henrik, Annemarie pretended to be like her younger sister. Write an essay explaining why this was a good or not-so-good strategy. Use information from the story to support your essay.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)