|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it when Mama and the Rosen's leave?
2. Which word best describes how Annemarie thinks the Rosens look in their hand-me-down clothes?
3. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
4. How long should Mama wait before she takes the second group to Henrik in Chapter 11?
5. In what does Mama wrap the baby in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Inge broken her ankle?
2. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
3. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
4. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
5. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
6. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
7. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
8. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
9. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
10. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Annemarie was able to learn to become brave. Take time to explain how the character evolved throughout the book using specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Annemarie's concept and understanding of how to be heroic progress throughout the novel. Include specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)