|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Ellen's parents to Uncle Henrik's house?
2. What happened to Lise?
3. For what does Ellen apologize to the family in Chapter 6?
4. What special treat did Mama serve for dinner in addition to the fish in Chapter 7?
5. What does Mama do while the girls play at Uncle Henrik's?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Annemarie realize she is inadvertently lying in Chapter 9?
2. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
3. Why does Annemarie often open Lise's trunk?
4. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
5. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen as her Uncle had once pointed out to her?
6. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
7. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen she must remove the necklace?
8. What does Mama want to know once the girls return into Uncle Henrik's house after their fun in the ocean?
9. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
10. How do the people survive the cold while the electricity has been rationed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay contrasting the fairy tale world and the actual events surrounding Ellen and Annemarie. Be sure to use specific examples from the story to support your contrasts.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Annemarie was able to learn to become brave. Take time to explain how the character evolved throughout the book using specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the way the mother and daughter relationship in the book changed throughout the events. Use specific events from the story to support your description.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)