|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Ellen and Annemarie not go to school the day after the German soldiers search their home?
2. What does Annemarie's mother do when the soldiers come in Chapter 5 that she has not done at night since they were forced to ration electricity?
3. What month is it when Mama and the girls first travel with Ellen to Uncle Henrik's?
4. Who gave Ellen the Star of David necklace?
5. In English, what is the name of the illegal newspaper which Annemarie's parents read occasionally?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
2. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
3. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
4. How does Annemarie get off Ellen's necklace in Chapter 5?
5. What does Mama want to know once the girls return into Uncle Henrik's house after their fun in the ocean?
6. Why is Annemarie jealous of Ellen on the Thursday before her parents leave?
7. What happens to most of the milk Uncle Henrik gathers from the cow?
8. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
9. What makes Annemarie and Mama equals for a few moments in Chapter 9?
10. Why do you think Annemarie does not know what happened to her sister when she died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Annemarie was able to learn to become brave. Take time to explain how the character evolved throughout the book using specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Annemarie's concept and understanding of how to be heroic progress throughout the novel. Include specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)