|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kirsti want to hear about in her bedtime story from Annemarie in Chapter 2?
2. What is Henrik's occupation?
3. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at the end of Chapter 5?
4. For what does Ellen apologize to the family in Chapter 6?
5. Which character sleeps through the entire invasion of the soldiers into the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Mrs. Johansen tell Kirsti she will have to wait for a cupcake?
2. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
3. Why is Annemarie jealous of Ellen on the Thursday before her parents leave?
4. For what is Annemarie told in Chapter 8 that the living room was prepared?
5. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
6. Who tipped off the Rabbi who warned the Jews that the Germans were rounding them up?
7. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
8. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
9. What happens to most of the milk Uncle Henrik gathers from the cow?
10. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Annemarie must feel learning that her sister was a member of the Resistance.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about heroism. Choose at least five characters and write how they demonstrate heroism. Use specific examples from the text to support your answers and essay.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)