|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house had Annemarie been visiting when she saw Sweden?
2. Who gave Ellen the Star of David necklace?
3. Which country did not have Nazi soldiers, according to Annmarie?
4. In what way has Peter changed since Lise has been gone?
5. How long has Lise been gone by the end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annemarie get off Ellen's necklace in Chapter 5?
2. How do Annemarie and Ellen know that their parents are not telling the truth about Mrs. Hirsch when they say she has gone on a vacation to the seashore?
3. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
4. How does Ellen offer to fix Kirsti's shoes?
5. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
6. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
7. Why hadn't the king protected the people of Denmark from the German soldiers, according to Annemarie's father?
8. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
9. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen as her Uncle had once pointed out to her?
10. Why is Annemarie jealous of Ellen on the Thursday before her parents leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Annemarie must feel learning that her sister was a member of the Resistance.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel, Annemarie seems to become more mature and adult-like, while Ellen seems to cling more and more to childhood. Write an essay describing why you think this occurs. Use information from the text to support your supposition.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing how reality was blended into fiction to create this novel. Use information from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)