|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What passes between Annemarie and her mother which indicates they both know they are telling a lie in Chapter 9?
2. Which character sleeps through the entire invasion of the soldiers into the home?
3. Who tells Annemarie's mother about being stopped by the soldiers?
4. Where does Annemarie indicate she has hidden her necklace in Chapter 7?
5. Whose house had Annemarie been visiting when she saw Sweden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
2. How did Annemarie find out the fireworks were not for Kirsti's birthday?
3. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
4. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
6. Why does Annemarie think she and Kirsti are lucky?
7. When the German soldiers asked a little boy why the king would go out alone, what was his answer?
8. For what is Annemarie told in Chapter 8 that the living room was prepared?
9. How does Annemarie get off Ellen's necklace in Chapter 5?
10. How do the girls forget about their troubles once they get to Uncle Henrik's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about heroism. Choose at least five characters and write how they demonstrate heroism. Use specific examples from the text to support your answers and essay.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Number the Stars, there are a variety of contrasts. Choose two such contrasts and describe each in detail, using specific examples from the text. Include how each item is in contrast to the other. Be specific and detailed.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Annemarie's concept and understanding of how to be heroic progress throughout the novel. Include specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)