|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Annemarie's mother say the celebration in Chapter 4 had to be canceled?
2. How brave does Annemarie tell Uncle Henrik she is?
3. In what way has Peter changed since Lise has been gone?
4. Who tells Annemarie's mother about being stopped by the soldiers?
5. What awakens Ellen and Annemarie in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
2. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
3. What happens to most of the milk Uncle Henrik gathers from the cow?
4. What had happened to Norway when they fought the Nazis?
5. How do the girls forget about their troubles once they get to Uncle Henrik's house?
6. How do the people survive the cold while the electricity has been rationed?
7. In Chapter 6, what does Papa think might happen at the school?
8. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
9. How does Ellen offer to fix Kirsti's shoes?
10. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Annemarie as a character and human. Would you be able to be as brave as Annemarie? Support your answers
Essay Topic 2
In the story, the main character used a children's story to help her through a frightening time. Describe a time when you have used something from your childhood to help you through something that was difficult. Explain the event, how it helped, and what from your childhood you used.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how Annemarie was able to learn to become brave. Take time to explain how the character evolved throughout the book using specific examples from the novel.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)