|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Mama and the girls travel to see Uncle Henrik?
2. Where do the girls play during the day at Uncle Henrik's?
3. What was the main course of the first dinner at Uncle Henrik's house?
4. Which of the following characters feels the most comfortable with the visit to Uncle Henrik?
5. What holiday is upcoming which Ellen goes home to help prepare for in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen she must remove the necklace?
2. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
4. How long does Mrs. Johansen tell Kirsti she will have to wait for a cupcake?
5. Why do you think Annemarie does not know what happened to her sister when she died?
6. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
7. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
8. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
9. In Chapter 6, what does Papa think might happen at the school?
10. How do the people survive the cold while the electricity has been rationed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to safely escape from the German soldiers and deliver the package to Henrik, Annemarie pretended to be like her younger sister. Write an essay explaining why this was a good or not-so-good strategy. Use information from the story to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Annemarie must feel learning that her sister was a member of the Resistance.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about heroism. Choose at least five characters and write how they demonstrate heroism. Use specific examples from the text to support your answers and essay.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)