|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen's mothers do every afternoon?
2. What does Mrs. Rosen insist Annemarie and Ellen do on their way to school the day after being stopped by the German soldiers?
3. How old was Lise when her hair had turned from dark to blonde?
4. Who was Lise?
5. What does Kirsti want to hear about in her bedtime story from Annemarie in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
2. Why is Annemarie jealous of Ellen on the Thursday before her parents leave?
3. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
4. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
5. What makes Annemarie and Mama equals for a few moments in Chapter 9?
6. How did Annemarie find out the fireworks were not for Kirsti's birthday?
7. How does Ellen feel as she falls asleep that first night at Annemarie's house?
8. What had happened to Norway when they fought the Nazis?
9. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
10. For what is Annemarie told in Chapter 8 that the living room was prepared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the way the mother and daughter relationship in the book changed throughout the events. Use specific events from the story to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing how reality was blended into fiction to create this novel. Use information from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how at least two characters from the novel display a sense of pride through trying circumstances. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)