|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following events is the only thing Annemarie knows is true about Lise's death?
2. Which character goes to bed before the guests for the night of mourning arrive?
3. What holiday does the German soldier ask Mama if she is traveling to her brother's to celebrate?
4. What awakens Ellen and Annemarie in Chapter 5?
5. Whose house had Annemarie been visiting when she saw Sweden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
2. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
3. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
4. How do the people survive the cold while the electricity has been rationed?
5. How long does Mrs. Johansen tell Kirsti she will have to wait for a cupcake?
6. Why do you think Annemarie does not know what happened to her sister when she died?
7. How does Ellen feel as she falls asleep that first night at Annemarie's house?
8. Why hadn't the king protected the people of Denmark from the German soldiers, according to Annemarie's father?
9. Why does Annemarie often open Lise's trunk?
10. In Chapter 6, what does Papa think might happen at the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about heroism. Choose at least five characters and write how they demonstrate heroism. Use specific examples from the text to support your answers and essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay reacting to this statement: "The greatest tragedies can inspire people to display bravery and moral courage." Use information from the text and personal experience throughout your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how at least two characters from the novel display a sense of pride through trying circumstances. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)