|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what do the German soldiers ask Annemarie and Ellen to tell them first?
2. What does Kirsti want to hear about in her bedtime story from Annemarie in Chapter 2?
3. What did Annemarie and Ellen see on the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
4. What is of great concern to Annemarie's mother about Mrs. Hirsch's shop being closed?
5. In English, what is the name of the illegal newspaper which Annemarie's parents read occasionally?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Papa speaks to Henrik on the phone in code?
2. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen as her Uncle had once pointed out to her?
3. How do the girls forget about their troubles once they get to Uncle Henrik's house?
4. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
5. Why does Annemarie think she and Kirsti are lucky?
6. What will happen to all of the people on the Nazi's list?
7. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
8. How do the people survive the cold while the electricity has been rationed?
9. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen she must remove the necklace?
10. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Annemarie as a character and human. Would you be able to be as brave as Annemarie? Support your answers
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the empty apartments must make the remaining residents.
Essay Topic 3
In order to safely escape from the German soldiers and deliver the package to Henrik, Annemarie pretended to be like her younger sister. Write an essay explaining why this was a good or not-so-good strategy. Use information from the story to support your essay.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)