|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Papa tell Annemarie's mother to take the girls in Chapter 6?
2. What holiday does the German soldier ask Mama if she is traveling to her brother's to celebrate?
3. Which word describes best how Ellen feels at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What does Kirsti wish she could have in Chapter 1, but instead is given plain bread?
5. What passes between Annemarie and her mother which indicates they both know they are telling a lie in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
2. What does Annemarie realize when Papa makes a joke about Lise's hair?
3. For what is Annemarie told in Chapter 8 that the living room was prepared?
4. Why does Annemarie think she and Kirsti are lucky?
5. How did Annemarie find out the fireworks were not for Kirsti's birthday?
6. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
7. What will happen to all of the people on the Nazi's list?
8. What makes Annemarie and Mama equals for a few moments in Chapter 9?
9. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
10. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay reacting to this statement: "The greatest tragedies can inspire people to display bravery and moral courage." Use information from the text and personal experience throughout your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how at least two characters from the novel display a sense of pride through trying circumstances. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
In many aspects of this novel, characters needed to think and react quickly. Find at least five examples of how quick thinking helped at least one character in Number the Stars and discuss the situation. Use information from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)