|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Danes destroy their naval fleet?
2. What does Annemarie tell Ellen she should do if the soldiers actually come to the house that night in Chapter 4?
3. Who tells Annemarie's mother about being stopped by the soldiers?
4. In Chapter 8, where does Henrik say he will be spending the night?
5. Which of the following is the best definition for a trousseau?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen to all of the people on the Nazi's list?
2. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
3. What had happened to Norway when they fought the Nazis?
4. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
5. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
6. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
7. Why does Mrs. Rosen tell the girls in Chapter 1 that it is safer to avoid the German soldiers?
8. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
9. How did Inge broken her ankle?
10. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Annemarie's concept and understanding of how to be heroic progress throughout the novel. Include specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the story, the main character used a children's story to help her through a frightening time. Describe a time when you have used something from your childhood to help you through something that was difficult. Explain the event, how it helped, and what from your childhood you used.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, the children are affected by the underlying tension of the adults around them. Write an essay describing how this worked and a time where you felt different because of the tension you sensed in the adults around you. Use information from the text and your own personal experience in developing this essay.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)