|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Rosen insist Annemarie and Ellen do on their way to school the day after being stopped by the German soldiers?
2. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
3. In Chapter 8, where does Henrik say he will be spending the night?
4. Where does Annemarie see Uncle Henrik go in the morning in Chapter 8?
5. What was the name of the dog Mama had when she was growing up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
2. How do the girls forget about their troubles once they get to Uncle Henrik's house?
3. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
4. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
5. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
6. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
7. Why is Annemarie jealous of Ellen on the Thursday before her parents leave?
8. What makes Annemarie and Mama equals for a few moments in Chapter 9?
9. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
10. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the empty apartments must make the remaining residents.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel, Annemarie seems to become more mature and adult-like, while Ellen seems to cling more and more to childhood. Write an essay describing why you think this occurs. Use information from the text to support your supposition.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think it is important that Lois Lowry write a book about such a mature subject for younger children?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)