|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the dog Mama had when she was growing up?
2. What is different about the new route that Annemarie, Ellen and Kirsti take to school in Chapter 2?
3. Why did the Danes destroy their naval fleet?
4. Where does Annemarie indicate she has hidden her necklace in Chapter 7?
5. What happened to Lise?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the girls forget about their troubles once they get to Uncle Henrik's house?
2. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
3. What comparison does Annemarie make between the King of Denmark and the Jews?
4. What does Annemarie realize when Papa makes a joke about Lise's hair?
5. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
6. In Chapter 6, what does Papa think might happen at the school?
7. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
8. What happens to most of the milk Uncle Henrik gathers from the cow?
9. Why is Annemarie jealous of Ellen on the Thursday before her parents leave?
10. To whom does Annemarie realize she is inadvertently lying in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing how Annemarie or Papa must have felt, waiting for something in the current society. Use personal experience/knowledge and events from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the way the mother and daughter relationship in the book changed throughout the events. Use specific events from the story to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
In order to safely escape from the German soldiers and deliver the package to Henrik, Annemarie pretended to be like her younger sister. Write an essay explaining why this was a good or not-so-good strategy. Use information from the story to support your essay.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)