|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way has Peter changed since Lise has been gone?
2. After what animal has Annemarie nicknamed one of the German soldiers she regularly sees on the street?
3. Why did the Danes destroy their naval fleet?
4. Who tells Annemarie's mother about being stopped by the soldiers?
5. What does Kirsti show to the German soldiers when they are stopped getting on the train in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen feel as she falls asleep that first night at Annemarie's house?
2. What happens to most of the milk Uncle Henrik gathers from the cow?
3. What does Annemarie realize when Papa makes a joke about Lise's hair?
4. How do the girls forget about their troubles once they get to Uncle Henrik's house?
5. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
6. How does Annemarie get off Ellen's necklace in Chapter 5?
7. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen she must remove the necklace?
8. What comparison does Annemarie make between the King of Denmark and the Jews?
9. What had happened to Norway when they fought the Nazis?
10. Why does Annemarie often open Lise's trunk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the way the mother and daughter relationship in the book changed throughout the events. Use specific events from the story to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Number the Stars, there are a variety of contrasts. Choose two such contrasts and describe each in detail, using specific examples from the text. Include how each item is in contrast to the other. Be specific and detailed.
Essay Topic 3
In order to safely escape from the German soldiers and deliver the package to Henrik, Annemarie pretended to be like her younger sister. Write an essay explaining why this was a good or not-so-good strategy. Use information from the story to support your essay.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)