|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Annemarie understand the words of Mrs. Rosen's prayers?
2. In what way has Peter changed since Lise has been gone?
3. Where do Annemarie, Ellen and Kirsti reside at the beginning of this novel?
4. How long has Lise been gone by the end of Chapter 2?
5. What does Kirsti wish she could have in Chapter 1, but instead is given plain bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people survive the cold while the electricity has been rationed?
2. When the German soldiers asked a little boy why the king would go out alone, what was his answer?
3. Why do you think Annemarie does not know what happened to her sister when she died?
4. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
5. Why hadn't the king protected the people of Denmark from the German soldiers, according to Annemarie's father?
6. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
7. How long does Mrs. Johansen tell Kirsti she will have to wait for a cupcake?
8. Why do you think Papa speaks to Henrik on the phone in code?
9. What happens to most of the milk Uncle Henrik gathers from the cow?
10. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the empty apartments must make the remaining residents.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how at least two characters from the novel display a sense of pride through trying circumstances. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
In many aspects of this novel, characters needed to think and react quickly. Find at least five examples of how quick thinking helped at least one character in Number the Stars and discuss the situation. Use information from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)