|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen to take a specific item she is wearing off in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
3. What is the name of Henrik's cow?
4. What color are Kirsti's new shoes?
5. In Chapter 4, of what are Kirsti's new shoes made?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
2. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
3. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
4. What will happen to all of the people on the Nazi's list?
5. How long does Mrs. Johansen tell Kirsti she will have to wait for a cupcake?
6. When the German soldiers asked a little boy why the king would go out alone, what was his answer?
7. Why hadn't the king protected the people of Denmark from the German soldiers, according to Annemarie's father?
8. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
9. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
10. How does Ellen offer to fix Kirsti's shoes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about heroism. Choose at least five characters and write how they demonstrate heroism. Use specific examples from the text to support your answers and essay.
Essay Topic 2
In the story, the main character used a children's story to help her through a frightening time. Describe a time when you have used something from your childhood to help you through something that was difficult. Explain the event, how it helped, and what from your childhood you used.
Essay Topic 3
In order to safely escape from the German soldiers and deliver the package to Henrik, Annemarie pretended to be like her younger sister. Write an essay explaining why this was a good or not-so-good strategy. Use information from the story to support your essay.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)