|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen's dad do when he sees her for the first time at Uncle Henrik's house?
2. Where does Annemarie go when she wakes up and gets out of bed in Chapter 8?
3. What is different about the new route that Annemarie, Ellen and Kirsti take to school in Chapter 2?
4. What was the name of the dog Mama had when she was growing up?
5. What does Kirsti show to the German soldiers when they are stopped getting on the train in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Papa think might happen at the school?
2. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
3. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen as her Uncle had once pointed out to her?
4. To whom does Annemarie realize she is inadvertently lying in Chapter 9?
5. For what is Annemarie told in Chapter 8 that the living room was prepared?
6. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
7. Why does Annemarie often open Lise's trunk?
8. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
9. Why hadn't the king protected the people of Denmark from the German soldiers, according to Annemarie's father?
10. Why is Annemarie jealous of Ellen on the Thursday before her parents leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing how reality was blended into fiction to create this novel. Use information from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
In order to safely escape from the German soldiers and deliver the package to Henrik, Annemarie pretended to be like her younger sister. Write an essay explaining why this was a good or not-so-good strategy. Use information from the story to support your essay.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)