|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Annemarie see Uncle Henrik go in the morning in Chapter 8?
2. For what does Ellen apologize to the family in Chapter 6?
3. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen to take a specific item she is wearing off in Chapter 5?
4. What did Annemarie and Ellen see on the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
5. In Chapter 5, what do the German soldiers think has happened to the Rosens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annemarie think she and Kirsti are lucky?
2. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
3. Why does Annemarie often open Lise's trunk?
4. Why do you think Annemarie does not know what happened to her sister when she died?
5. How does Annemarie get off Ellen's necklace in Chapter 5?
6. Why do you think Papa speaks to Henrik on the phone in code?
7. Why does Mrs. Rosen tell the girls in Chapter 1 that it is safer to avoid the German soldiers?
8. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen as her Uncle had once pointed out to her?
9. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
10. Why hadn't the king protected the people of Denmark from the German soldiers, according to Annemarie's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Annemarie was able to learn to become brave. Take time to explain how the character evolved throughout the book using specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the way the mother and daughter relationship in the book changed throughout the events. Use specific events from the story to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
In many aspects of this novel, characters needed to think and react quickly. Find at least five examples of how quick thinking helped at least one character in Number the Stars and discuss the situation. Use information from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)