|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Annemarie go when she wakes up and gets out of bed in Chapter 8?
2. What happened to Lise?
3. Which of the following characters feels the most comfortable with the visit to Uncle Henrik?
4. What does Ellen remember from the amusement park best of all?
5. Who was Lise?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Inge broken her ankle?
2. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
3. Why hadn't the king protected the people of Denmark from the German soldiers, according to Annemarie's father?
4. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
5. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
6. Why does Mrs. Rosen tell the girls in Chapter 1 that it is safer to avoid the German soldiers?
7. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
8. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
9. What does Annemarie realize when Papa makes a joke about Lise's hair?
10. For what is Annemarie told in Chapter 8 that the living room was prepared?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Annemarie must feel learning that her sister was a member of the Resistance.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting the fairy tale world and the actual events surrounding Ellen and Annemarie. Be sure to use specific examples from the story to support your contrasts.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Number the Stars, there are a variety of contrasts. Choose two such contrasts and describe each in detail, using specific examples from the text. Include how each item is in contrast to the other. Be specific and detailed.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)