|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character goes to bed before the guests for the night of mourning arrive?
2. Who brings the illegal newspaper to Annemarie's parents?
3. Who brings Ellen's parents to Uncle Henrik's house?
4. What happened to Lise?
5. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
2. To whom does Annemarie realize she is inadvertently lying in Chapter 9?
3. Why do you think Papa speaks to Henrik on the phone in code?
4. Why does Annemarie think she and Kirsti are lucky?
5. How does Ellen feel as she falls asleep that first night at Annemarie's house?
6. For what is Annemarie told in Chapter 8 that the living room was prepared?
7. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
8. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
9. How long does Mrs. Johansen tell Kirsti she will have to wait for a cupcake?
10. How do the girls forget about their troubles once they get to Uncle Henrik's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think it is important that Lois Lowry write a book about such a mature subject for younger children?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Annemarie was able to learn to become brave. Take time to explain how the character evolved throughout the book using specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay contrasting the fairy tale world and the actual events surrounding Ellen and Annemarie. Be sure to use specific examples from the story to support your contrasts.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)