|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kirsti show to the German soldiers when they are stopped getting on the train in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 1, what do the German soldiers ask Annemarie and Ellen to tell them first?
3. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
4. In Chapter 5, what do the German soldiers think has happened to the Rosens?
5. Who brings Ellen's parents to Uncle Henrik's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen offer to fix Kirsti's shoes?
2. What does Mama want to know once the girls return into Uncle Henrik's house after their fun in the ocean?
3. What comparison does Annemarie make between the King of Denmark and the Jews?
4. To whom does Annemarie realize she is inadvertently lying in Chapter 9?
5. What happens to most of the milk Uncle Henrik gathers from the cow?
6. Why does Mrs. Rosen tell the girls in Chapter 1 that it is safer to avoid the German soldiers?
7. Why does Annemarie think she and Kirsti are lucky?
8. What does Annemarie realize when Papa makes a joke about Lise's hair?
9. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
10. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the way the mother and daughter relationship in the book changed throughout the events. Use specific events from the story to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how at least two characters from the novel display a sense of pride through trying circumstances. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Number the Stars, there are a variety of contrasts. Choose two such contrasts and describe each in detail, using specific examples from the text. Include how each item is in contrast to the other. Be specific and detailed.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)