|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following would not be an adjective Annemarie would use to describe her father?
2. What special treat did Mama serve for dinner in addition to the fish in Chapter 7?
3. How old was Lise when her hair had turned from dark to blonde?
4. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at the end of Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 5, what do the German soldiers think has happened to the Rosens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Annemarie find out the fireworks were not for Kirsti's birthday?
2. Why do you think Papa speaks to Henrik on the phone in code?
3. When the German soldiers asked a little boy why the king would go out alone, what was his answer?
4. Why does Annemarie think she and Kirsti are lucky?
5. In Chapter 6, what does Papa think might happen at the school?
6. What makes Annemarie and Mama equals for a few moments in Chapter 9?
7. How does Ellen feel as she falls asleep that first night at Annemarie's house?
8. How does Ellen offer to fix Kirsti's shoes?
9. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
10. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout this story, adults are known to be lying by the children, yet the children did not call them out or complain about the lies. Explain why you believe this occurred and use information from the text to support your answer. Then explain a time where you knew adults were lying, but you did not ask them to explain or justify their lies.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how at least two characters from the novel display a sense of pride through trying circumstances. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing how Annemarie or Papa must have felt, waiting for something in the current society. Use personal experience/knowledge and events from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)