|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What passes between Annemarie and her mother which indicates they both know they are telling a lie in Chapter 9?
2. Why couldn't Annemarie understand the words of Mrs. Rosen's prayers?
3. Why did the Danes destroy their naval fleet?
4. What was the main course of the first dinner at Uncle Henrik's house?
5. What does Annemarie's mother do when the soldiers come in Chapter 5 that she has not done at night since they were forced to ration electricity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Rosen tell the girls in Chapter 1 that it is safer to avoid the German soldiers?
2. What makes Annemarie and Mama equals for a few moments in Chapter 9?
3. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
4. How does Ellen feel as she falls asleep that first night at Annemarie's house?
5. How long does Mrs. Johansen tell Kirsti she will have to wait for a cupcake?
6. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
7. Why does Annemarie often open Lise's trunk?
8. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
9. What comparison does Annemarie make between the King of Denmark and the Jews?
10. How does Ellen offer to fix Kirsti's shoes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Annemarie's concept and understanding of how to be heroic progress throughout the novel. Include specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing how Annemarie or Papa must have felt, waiting for something in the current society. Use personal experience/knowledge and events from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In many aspects of this novel, characters needed to think and react quickly. Find at least five examples of how quick thinking helped at least one character in Number the Stars and discuss the situation. Use information from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)