|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, where does Annemarie go after dinner to have a private conversation with her uncle?
2. Who gave Ellen the Star of David necklace?
3. What does Annemarie help Mama prepare in Chapter 9?
4. How old was Lise when her hair had turned from dark to blonde?
5. Where do Annemarie, Ellen, and Kirsti pretend they are taking their dolls in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Papa think might happen at the school?
3. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
4. For what is Annemarie told in Chapter 8 that the living room was prepared?
5. When the German soldiers asked a little boy why the king would go out alone, what was his answer?
6. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen she must remove the necklace?
7. What will happen to all of the people on the Nazi's list?
8. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen as her Uncle had once pointed out to her?
9. How do the people survive the cold while the electricity has been rationed?
10. Why does Annemarie often open Lise's trunk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to safely escape from the German soldiers and deliver the package to Henrik, Annemarie pretended to be like her younger sister. Write an essay explaining why this was a good or not-so-good strategy. Use information from the story to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout this novel, Annemarie seems to become more mature and adult-like, while Ellen seems to cling more and more to childhood. Write an essay describing why you think this occurs. Use information from the text to support your supposition.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing how Annemarie or Papa must have felt, waiting for something in the current society. Use personal experience/knowledge and events from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)