|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at being stopped by the German soldiers in Chapter 1?
2. What special treat did Mama serve for dinner in addition to the fish in Chapter 7?
3. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen across the water from Uncle Henrik's home?
4. What pulls up to the house in Chapter 9, which signals that Henrik and Annemarie should return to the house?
5. What item was Annemarie surprised to see on the table in the morning for breakfast at Uncle Henrik's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
2. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
3. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
4. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
5. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
6. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
7. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
8. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
9. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
10. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay reacting to this statement: "The greatest tragedies can inspire people to display bravery and moral courage." Use information from the text and personal experience throughout your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing how reality was blended into fiction to create this novel. Use information from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the empty apartments must make the remaining residents.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)