|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it when Mama and the Rosen's leave?
(a) 2:30 a.m.
(b) 1:00 a.m.
(c) 1:30 a.m.
(d) 2:00 a.m.
2. Why does Annemarie say her Uncle won't eat fish?
(a) The German's take all of the fish.
(b) He's sick of the smell.
(c) He is a bad fisherman.
(d) He's allergic.
3. What does Mama give everyone in the group in Chapter 11?
(a) Tea to drink.
(b) Warm clothes.
(c) Warm drinks.
(d) A package of food.
4. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) Takes care of the animals.
(b) Makes food.
(c) Nods off.
5. When does Henrik leave for his boat in Chapter 10?
(a) In the middle of the mourning.
(b) After everyone arrives.
(c) Before everyone arrives.
(d) After guests arrive but before the Rosens arrive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
2. Why does Peter tell the group in Chapter 11 that they will need warm clothes?
3. Which of the following is not an item Annemarie uses to hide the package in Chapter 13?
4. What does Annemarie take out of the pocket of Lise's yellow dress?
5. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
2. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
3. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
5. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
6. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
7. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
8. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
9. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
10. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)