|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annemarie do in Chapter 10 when the German soldier asks her about who died?
(a) Hides behind Mama.
(b) Pretends she cannot understand him.
(c) Tells the truth.
2. Where does Annemarie assume the Rosens will be taken in Chapter 11?
(d) United States.
3. What action does Peter do after the palsm is finished in Chapter 10?
(a) Takes a group of people to the boat.
(b) Goes to the barn .
(c) Leaves the house.
(d) Opens the lid to the casket.
4. Which character slips on a loose step outside of the kitchen door?
(b) Mr. Rosen.
5. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
(a) She cannot breathe well.
(b) She broke her ankle.
(c) It is still pretty dark.
(d) It is too cold to run.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
2. What was the handkerchief coated with?
3. In what does Mama wrap the baby in Chapter 11?
4. At what time does Annemarie think her mother should be back at the house after taking the Rosens to the boat?
5. Where does Mama instruct Annemarie to put the package in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
2. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
4. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
5. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
6. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
7. In Chapter 16, where does Henrik tell Annemarie the Rosens are?
8. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
9. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
10. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)