|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annemarie do when her mother tells her to go to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) Sleeps on the couch.
(b) Goes out to the barn.
(c) Goes upstairs to bed.
(d) Stays downstairs with the guests.
2. What was the name of the king of Denmark during the occupation?
(a) Christian XII.
(b) Platt IV.
(c) Platt X.
(d) Christian X.
3. Where does Mama instruct Annemarie to put the package in Chapter 13?
(a) In her backpack.
(b) In a lunch basket.
(c) Inside her shoes.
(d) Under her sweater.
4. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
(a) Warm clothes.
(d) Aunt Birte.
5. Why does Annemarie believe that Kirsti did not feel fear when stopped by the German soldiers?
(a) She was too happy to feel fear.
(b) She was too excited to feel fear.
(c) She was too innocent to feel fear.
(d) She was too dumb to feel fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annemarie do in Chapter 10 when the German soldier asks her about who died?
2. Which of the following words best describes dinner with Uncle Henrik after he has delivered the Rosens to Sweden?
3. In what year did Denmark surrender to Germany?
4. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
5. What does the German soldier tell Mama not to do until they leave in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
2. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
3. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
4. What do the German soldiers want to know in Chapter 10?
5. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
6. Describe how Lise was killed.
7. Who tipped off the Rabbi who warned the Jews that the Germans were rounding them up?
8. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
9. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
10. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)