|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Denmark surrender to Germany?
2. What does Annemarie do when she comes upon the German soldiers in Chapter 15?
(a) Wishes them good morning.
(b) Ignores them.
(c) Looks down and away from them.
(d) Asks them to help her.
3. What does Ellen promise to Annemarie as they part in Chapter 12?
(a) To write.
(b) To call.
(c) To come back one day.
(d) To not be scared.
4. What was Mr. Rosen's profession?
5. What does the German soldier tell Mama not to do until they leave in Chapter 10?
(b) Open the coffin.
(c) Leave the room.
(d) Bury Aunt Birte.
Short Answer Questions
1. What childhood story does Annemarie tell herself on the trip to her Uncle's boat to deliver a package?
2. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
3. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
4. What did Annemarie's mother tell her to be if she is stopped by soldiers?
5. Which character reads a psalm for all those gathered once the German soldiers leave Uncle Henrik's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
2. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
3. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
4. Describe how Lise was killed.
5. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
6. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
7. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
8. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
9. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
10. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)