|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the character of Peter based upon in real-life?
(a) G.F. Duckwitz.
(b) Annelise Platt.
(c) Peter Neilsen.
(d) Kim Malthe-Bruun.
2. What story would Inge tell the doctor about her injury?
(a) The soldiers hurt her.
(b) The truth.
(d) She fell down the stairs in the house.
3. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
4. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
(a) The Star of David necklace.
(b) Clothing that kept the baby warm.
(c) Traps set by the soldiers.
(d) The package for Henrik.
5. What action does Peter do after the palsm is finished in Chapter 10?
(a) Takes a group of people to the boat.
(b) Opens the lid to the casket.
(c) Goes to the barn .
(d) Leaves the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character reads a psalm for all those gathered once the German soldiers leave Uncle Henrik's house?
2. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
3. What does Ellen promise to Annemarie as they part in Chapter 12?
4. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
5. Where is the character who dies at the end of the book buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
2. Why does Annemarie think waiting and wondering are scarier than being involved in the danger?
3. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
4. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
6. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
7. How does Annemarie remember the Rosens in Chapter 11?
8. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
9. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
10. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)