|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annemarie do in Chapter 10 when the German soldier asks her about who died?
(a) Hides behind Mama.
(c) Tells the truth.
(d) Pretends she cannot understand him.
2. Why are many of the apartments in Annemarie's neighborhood empty?
(a) The Jewish owners fled.
(b) The Jewish owners sold them.
(c) The Germans destroyed them.
(d) The Germans left.
3. How many German soldiers does Annemarie see when she is on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat?
4. How does Annemarie decide the dark shape out the window in Chapter 12 must be her mother?
(a) Her mother calls to her.
(b) Her mother waves.
(c) She can see her mother clearly.
(d) Her mother moves.
5. In what year did Denmark surrender to Germany?
Short Answer Questions
1. What story would Inge tell the doctor about her injury?
2. Which character reads a psalm for all those gathered once the German soldiers leave Uncle Henrik's house?
3. Where does Mama instruct Annemarie to put the package in Chapter 13?
4. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
5. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one reason Annemarie thinks Mrs. Rosen may be particularly afraid in Chapter 11?
2. Why was Mama a good choice to lead a group to Henrik's boat?
3. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
4. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
5. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
6. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
7. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
8. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
9. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
10. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)