|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the German soldiers holding when Annemarie first sees them when she is on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat?
(a) A basket filled with food.
(b) Dogs on leashes.
(d) The Rosens.
2. What action does Peter do after the palsm is finished in Chapter 10?
(a) Goes to the barn .
(b) Opens the lid to the casket.
(c) Takes a group of people to the boat.
(d) Leaves the house.
3. What does the German soldier ask Mama about the coffin in Chapter 10?
(a) Where it will be buried.
(b) Who is in it.
(c) Why it is closed.
(d) Why it is in the living room.
4. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
(b) A handkerchief.
(d) A package.
5. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 5:00 a.m.
(b) 4:00 a.m.
(c) 2:00 a.m.
(d) 3:00 a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes how Annemarie thinks the Rosens look in their hand-me-down clothes?
2. Where is the character who dies at the end of the book buried?
3. Why is Mama's role in Chapter 12 very important?
4. What does Annemarie take out of the pocket of Lise's yellow dress?
5. How does Annemarie decide the dark shape out the window in Chapter 12 must be her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What coincidence happens as Annemarie tells a story to herself on her trip to visit Uncle Henrik?
2. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
3. How did Inge broken her ankle?
4. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
5. How old is Annemarie when the war ends?
6. In Chapter 13, what does Inge tell Annemarie to do should the soldiers stop her?
7. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
8. In Chapter 16, where does Henrik tell Annemarie the Rosens are?
9. Describe how Lise was killed.
10. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)