|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annemarie do when her mother tells her to go to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) Goes out to the barn.
(b) Goes upstairs to bed.
(c) Sleeps on the couch.
(d) Stays downstairs with the guests.
2. What do the German soldiers ask Annemarie about her Uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) Why he needs her to deliver his lunch.
(b) Why he doesn't get his own lunch.
(c) Where he eats his lunch.
(d) Why he doesn't eat fish for lunch.
3. What was Mr. Rosen's profession?
4. What does Kirsti wonder about Ellen in Chapter 16?
(a) Why she left her parents.
(b) When she will come back.
(c) When she will go with her.
(d) Where she went.
5. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
(a) So it was not afraid of the dark.
(b) So that it would not make noise.
(c) So that it did not become sea sick.
(d) So that it could rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story would Inge tell the doctor about her injury?
2. How long should Mama wait before she takes the second group to Henrik in Chapter 11?
3. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
4. Where does Annemarie assume the Rosens will be taken in Chapter 11?
5. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe at least two of the people who are in the living room "mourning" Aunt Birte with Annemarie.
2. What awakens Annemarie as she dozed off in the rocking chair in Chapter 10?
3. How does Annemarie react when the soldiers take her bread in Chapter 15?
4. What comforts many members of the group gathered for the mourning of Aunt Birte?
5. In Chapter 12, what does Mama warn the Rosens to do on their way to Henrik's boat?
6. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
7. Why was cocaine added to the mixture placed on the handkerchief?
8. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
9. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
10. Why does Annemarie choose to take a path which winds deeply into the woods while she is taking a package to her uncle in Chapter 14?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)