|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ellen wearing that Annemarie tells her to take off in Chapter 5?
(a) A ring.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A necklace.
2. Where does Annemarie's mother tell Annemarie that Mrs. Hirsch probably went?
(a) To Sweden.
(b) To a camp.
(c) Seashore for a vacation.
(d) With the soldiers.
3. In Chapter 5, what does Papa tell Henrik that Inge will be bringing him?
(a) Carton of cigarettes.
(c) Jewish girl.
4. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at being stopped by the German soldiers in Chapter 1?
5. What holiday does the German soldier ask Mama if she is traveling to her brother's to celebrate?
(b) New Year's.
(d) Yom Kipper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter break in order to visit Annemarie's parents at night?
2. Who brings the illegal newspaper to Annemarie's parents?
3. After what animal has Annemarie nicknamed one of the German soldiers she regularly sees on the street?
4. Why couldn't Annemarie understand the words of Mrs. Rosen's prayers?
5. What color are Kirsti's new shoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Annemarie find out the fireworks were not for Kirsti's birthday?
2. How do Annemarie and Ellen know that their parents are not telling the truth about Mrs. Hirsch when they say she has gone on a vacation to the seashore?
3. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
4. Why do you think Annemarie does not know what happened to her sister when she died?
5. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen she must remove the necklace?
6. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
7. Why hadn't the king protected the people of Denmark from the German soldiers, according to Annemarie's father?
8. What comparison does Annemarie make between the King of Denmark and the Jews?
9. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
10. In Chapter 6, what does Papa think might happen at the school?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)