|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In English, what is the name of the illegal newspaper which Annemarie's parents read occasionally?
(a) The Free Danes.
(b) Freedom from Germany.
(c) Danish Freedom Today.
(d) Freedom Fighters.
2. What is Ellen worried about the first night at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Her parents.
(b) German soldiers.
(c) Annemarie's safety.
(d) Her necklace.
3. After what animal has Annemarie nicknamed one of the German soldiers she regularly sees on the street?
4. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
(b) A funeral.
(c) Traveling back home.
5. What does Kirsti show to the German soldiers when they are stopped getting on the train in Chapter 6?
(a) Her star of David necklace.
(b) Her doll.
(c) Her black shoes.
(d) Her new dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is Anemarie's younger sister?
2. Why can't Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen read the sign on Mrs. Hirsch's door in Chapter 3?
3. What does Mrs. Rosen insist Annemarie and Ellen do on their way to school the day after being stopped by the German soldiers?
4. What does Annemarie notice is missing from her mother and Uncle Henrik's conversation in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
2. Why is Annemarie jealous of Ellen on the Thursday before her parents leave?
3. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
4. To whom does Annemarie realize she is inadvertently lying in Chapter 9?
5. How does Ellen feel as she falls asleep that first night at Annemarie's house?
6. How did Annemarie find out the fireworks were not for Kirsti's birthday?
7. What makes Annemarie and Mama equals for a few moments in Chapter 9?
8. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
9. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
10. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)