|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellen's dad do when he sees her for the first time at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Holds her.
(b) Ignores her for her own protection.
(d) Takes her away.
2. What was the name of the dog Mama had when she was growing up?
3. What special treat did Mama serve for dinner in addition to the fish in Chapter 7?
4. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at the end of Chapter 5?
5. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at being stopped by the German soldiers in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the girls play during the day at Uncle Henrik's?
2. Which word describes best how Ellen feels at the end of Chapter 5?
3. How do Annemarie's parents prove to the German soldiers she is their child?
4. What does Annemarie notice is missing from her mother and Uncle Henrik's conversation in Chapter 7?
5. Who was Lise engaged to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the jacket in Chapter 11 make Ellen realize that her life has changed significantly?
2. To whom does Annemarie realize she is inadvertently lying in Chapter 9?
3. What does Annemarie think about Papa as she waits for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to Henrik's boat?
4. How does Ellen react to having to wear a hand-me-down jacket?
5. Why do Annemarie and Henrik go to the barn to have a serious conversation in Chapter 16?
6. Who does Annemarie pretend to be like as she talks to the German soldiers while she is taking package to her uncle in Chapter 15?
7. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
8. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
9. Why is Annemarie jealous of Ellen on the Thursday before her parents leave?
10. What does Annemarie realize when Papa makes a joke about Lise's hair?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)