|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kirsti want to hear about in her bedtime story from Annemarie in Chapter 2?
(a) Life with no soldiers.
(c) Cupcakes and sweets.
(d) Kings and queens.
2. What does Mama tell Henrik he should get?
(a) A new cow.
(b) A new boat.
(c) A maid.
(d) A wife.
3. What is Ellen worried about the first night at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Her parents.
(b) German soldiers.
(c) Her necklace.
(d) Annemarie's safety.
4. In Chapter 5, what do the German soldiers think has happened to the Rosens?
(a) They think they ran away.
(b) They think they left the country.
(c) They think they are hiding in the building.
(d) They think they may be hiding with the Johansens.
5. In Chapter 4, of what are Kirsti's new shoes made?
(b) Fish scales.
(c) Dear hide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Annemarie's mother tell Annemarie that Mrs. Hirsch probably went?
2. How do Annemarie's parents prove to the German soldiers she is their child?
3. What does Mrs. Rosen insist Annemarie and Ellen do on their way to school the day after being stopped by the German soldiers?
4. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen to take a specific item she is wearing off in Chapter 5?
5. What special treat did Mama serve for dinner in addition to the fish in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the German soldiers asked a little boy why the king would go out alone, what was his answer?
2. How did Annemarie find out the fireworks were not for Kirsti's birthday?
3. Why do you think Papa speaks to Henrik on the phone in code?
4. To whom does Annemarie realize she is inadvertently lying in Chapter 9?
5. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
6. Why hadn't the king protected the people of Denmark from the German soldiers, according to Annemarie's father?
7. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
8. How does Annemarie get off Ellen's necklace in Chapter 5?
9. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
10. Why do you think Annemarie does not know what happened to her sister when she died?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)