|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
(a) Activities of the resistance movement.
(b) Increasing tensions between the Nazis and others.
(c) Fighting in the streets.
(d) Orders from their superiors.
2. What does Annemarie tell Ellen she should do if the soldiers actually come to the house that night in Chapter 4?
(a) Pretend she cannot talk.
(c) Pretend she cannot hear.
(d) Tell them her name is Lise.
3. What was the name of the king of Denmark's horse?
4. How long has Lise been gone by the end of Chapter 2?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 3 years.
5. How do Mama and the girls travel to see Uncle Henrik?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen read the sign on Mrs. Hirsch's door in Chapter 3?
2. Which of the following is the best definition for a trousseau?
3. What color are Kirsti's new shoes?
4. Where do the girls play during the day at Uncle Henrik's?
5. Which of the following is a famous storyteller who was also a Dane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama want to know once the girls return into Uncle Henrik's house after their fun in the ocean?
2. How does Ellen feel as she falls asleep that first night at Annemarie's house?
3. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
4. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
5. What happens to most of the milk Uncle Henrik gathers from the cow?
6. What comparison does Annemarie make between the King of Denmark and the Jews?
7. How does Annemarie get off Ellen's necklace in Chapter 5?
8. How did Annemarie find out the fireworks were not for Kirsti's birthday?
9. How do the people survive the cold while the electricity has been rationed?
10. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen as her Uncle had once pointed out to her?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)