|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, of what are Kirsti's new shoes made?
(b) Fish scales.
(c) Dear hide.
2. What news does Peter bring when he comes at night to visit Annemarie's parents?
(a) The Germans will be invading various homes.
(b) That Mrs. Hirsch is safely at the seashore.
(c) The Germans are closing businesses owned by Jews.
(d) A new issue of the illegal newspaper.
3. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen across the water from Uncle Henrik's home?
(a) German soldiers.
4. What color are Kirsti's new shoes?
5. What passes between Annemarie and her mother which indicates they both know they are telling a lie in Chapter 9?
(a) A look.
(b) A note.
(c) Nothing, Annemarie does not know it is a lie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen read the sign on Mrs. Hirsch's door in Chapter 3?
2. What do the German soldiers do with the photo of Lise?
3. Why did the Danes destroy their naval fleet?
4. What happened to Lise?
5. How old was Lise when her hair had turned from dark to blonde?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Annemarie does not know what happened to her sister when she died?
2. What does Annemarie realize when Papa makes a joke about Lise's hair?
3. How did Annemarie find out the fireworks were not for Kirsti's birthday?
4. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
5. Why is Annemarie jealous of Ellen on the Thursday before her parents leave?
6. Why does Mrs. Rosen tell the girls in Chapter 1 that it is safer to avoid the German soldiers?
7. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
8. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen she must remove the necklace?
9. How does Ellen feel as she falls asleep that first night at Annemarie's house?
10. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)