|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is of great concern to Annemarie's mother about Mrs. Hirsch's shop being closed?
(a) That Mrs. Hirsch is not being loyal to the king.
(b) The fact that the sign is written in German.
(c) That Kirsti will not have a button for her jacket.
(d) That the Germans will now ration buttons and thread.
2. What is Henrik's occupation?
(d) Tourist trips.
3. Which of the following items was listed as being rationed by the Germans?
(a) Sewing supplies.
4. What holiday is upcoming which Ellen goes home to help prepare for in Chapter 4?
(a) Yom Kippur.
(c) Jewish New Year.
5. Who brings the illegal newspaper to Annemarie's parents?
(a) Mrs. Rosen.
(c) Mrs. Johansen.
(d) Peter Neilsen.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Ellen apologize to the family in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 1, what do the German soldiers ask Annemarie and Ellen to tell them first?
3. What does Ellen's dad do when he sees her for the first time at Uncle Henrik's house?
4. Which country did not have Nazi soldiers, according to Annmarie?
5. What did Annemarie and Ellen see on the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people survive the cold while the electricity has been rationed?
2. What had happened to Norway when they fought the Nazis?
3. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen as her Uncle had once pointed out to her?
4. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
5. Why do you think Annemarie does not know what happened to her sister when she died?
6. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
7. What comparison does Annemarie make between the King of Denmark and the Jews?
8. How did Annemarie find out the fireworks were not for Kirsti's birthday?
9. Why hadn't the king protected the people of Denmark from the German soldiers, according to Annemarie's father?
10. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)