|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mama introduce the people that arrive at Uncle Henrik's house in Chapter 9 to Ellen as?
(a) Uncle Henrik's friends.
(b) Great Aunt Birte's friends.
(c) Ellen's parent's friends.
(d) Peter Neilsen's friends.
2. What does Annemarie tell Ellen she should do if the soldiers actually come to the house that night in Chapter 4?
(a) Pretend she cannot hear.
(c) Pretend she cannot talk.
(d) Tell them her name is Lise.
3. Where do Annemarie, Ellen, and Kirsti pretend they are taking their dolls in Chapter 4?
4. Who was Lise?
(a) Annemarie's older sister.
(b) Annemarie's mother.
(c) Annemarie's best friend.
(d) Annemarie's younger sister.
5. Why did Annemarie's mother say the celebration in Chapter 4 had to be canceled?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Rosen are very ill.
(b) The Germans took Mr. and Mrs. Rosen away.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Rosen were called away to visit relatives.
(d) The rationing prevented them from being able to have a celebration.
Short Answer Questions
1. After what animal has Annemarie nicknamed one of the German soldiers she regularly sees on the street?
2. What was the name of the king of Denmark's horse?
3. For what does Mama say she has prepared the living room at the end of Chapter 8?
4. With what toys do Annemarie and Ellen play in Chapter 3?
5. What is Henrik's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
2. How does Ellen offer to fix Kirsti's shoes?
3. How does Annemarie get off Ellen's necklace in Chapter 5?
4. For what is Annemarie told in Chapter 8 that the living room was prepared?
5. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
6. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
7. How does Ellen feel as she falls asleep that first night at Annemarie's house?
8. What had happened to Norway when they fought the Nazis?
9. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
10. What happens to most of the milk Uncle Henrik gathers from the cow?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)