|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mama introduce the people that arrive at Uncle Henrik's house in Chapter 9 to Ellen as?
(a) Ellen's parent's friends.
(b) Great Aunt Birte's friends.
(c) Peter Neilsen's friends.
(d) Uncle Henrik's friends.
2. Which of the following is the best definition for a trousseau?
(b) Sheets and pillowcases.
(c) Nightgowns and sleepwear.
(d) Brides clothes and linen.
3. How do Annemarie's parents prove to the German soldiers she is their child?
(a) Show them dated birth records.
(b) Show them a baby picture of a black haired child.
(c) Show them her birth certificate.
(d) Show them fingerprints.
4. On what occasion did the destruction of the naval fleet occur?
(a) Annemarie's birthday.
(b) Ellen's birthday.
(c) The king's birthday.
(d) Kirsti's birthday.
5. Who gave Ellen the Star of David necklace?
(a) Her Godfather.
(b) Her Godmother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Annemarie's mother tell Annemarie that Mrs. Hirsch probably went?
2. Who was Lise engaged to?
3. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at being stopped by the German soldiers in Chapter 1?
4. Why couldn't Annemarie understand the words of Mrs. Rosen's prayers?
5. What holiday is upcoming which Ellen goes home to help prepare for in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the German soldiers asked a little boy why the king would go out alone, what was his answer?
2. Why does Mrs. Rosen tell the girls in Chapter 1 that it is safer to avoid the German soldiers?
3. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
4. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
5. Why does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie in Chapter 9 that he and Mama are lying?
6. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
7. Why do you think Papa speaks to Henrik on the phone in code?
8. For what is Annemarie told in Chapter 8 that the living room was prepared?
9. How do the people survive the cold while the electricity has been rationed?
10. What will happen to all of the people on the Nazi's list?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)