|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen read the sign on Mrs. Hirsch's door in Chapter 3?
(a) It is too high on the door to see clearly.
(b) It is written in German.
(c) It is written in English.
(d) It is written and they cannot read.
2. What special treat did Mama serve for dinner in addition to the fish in Chapter 7?
3. What is Ellen worried about the first night at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Annemarie's safety.
(c) Her necklace.
(d) German soldiers.
4. Which of the following would not be an adjective Annemarie would use to describe her father?
5. What happened to Lise?
(a) She married and moved away.
(b) She was killed by the soldiers.
(c) She died in an accident.
(d) Peter's horse trampled her.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
2. Which of the following is a famous storyteller who was also a Dane?
3. In Chapter 5, what do the German soldiers think has happened to the Rosens?
4. What passes between Annemarie and her mother which indicates they both know they are telling a lie in Chapter 9?
5. Where does Annemarie go when she wakes up and gets out of bed in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
2. Why does Annemarie think she and Kirsti are lucky?
3. Why does Papa agree it would be better if Mama takes the girls alone to Uncle Henrik's house?
4. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
5. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
6. What does Annemarie realize when Papa makes a joke about Lise's hair?
7. How does Annemarie get off Ellen's necklace in Chapter 5?
8. What does Annemarie promise about Ellen's Star of David necklace in Chapter 7?
9. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen as her Uncle had once pointed out to her?
10. How do the girls forget about their troubles once they get to Uncle Henrik's house?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)