|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way has Peter changed since Lise has been gone?
(a) He's become unhappy with life.
(b) He's become angry with life.
(c) He's become distraught.
(d) He's become more serious.
2. In Chapter 8, where does Henrik say he will be spending the night?
(a) On his boat.
(b) In the living room.
(c) In Sweden.
(d) In the barn.
3. On what occasion did the destruction of the naval fleet occur?
(a) Annemarie's birthday.
(b) Ellen's birthday.
(c) Kirsti's birthday.
(d) The king's birthday.
4. Where do Annemarie, Ellen, and Kirsti pretend they are taking their dolls in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen to take a specific item she is wearing off in Chapter 5?
(a) It is illegal to wear jewelry in front of the German soldiers.
(b) It has a picture of her mother in it.
(c) It has a Star of David on it.
(d) It spells out her name.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character goes to bed before the guests for the night of mourning arrive?
2. Why do Ellen and Annemarie not go to school the day after the German soldiers search their home?
3. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
4. What month is it when Mama and the girls first travel with Ellen to Uncle Henrik's?
5. What happened to Lise?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Annemarie realize she is inadvertently lying in Chapter 9?
2. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
3. What comparison does Annemarie make between the King of Denmark and the Jews?
4. How does Uncle Henrik tell Annemarie it is easier to be brave?
5. Why do you think Annemarie does not know what happened to her sister when she died?
6. Why does Annemarie think she and Kirsti are lucky?
7. How long does Mrs. Johansen tell Kirsti she will have to wait for a cupcake?
8. What do Ellen and Annemarie resolve not to tell their mothers in Chapter 1?
9. What does Mama want to know once the girls return into Uncle Henrik's house after their fun in the ocean?
10. How does Annemarie get off Ellen's necklace in Chapter 5?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)