|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Danes destroy their naval fleet?
(a) To build a barrier in the harbor.
(b) To kill Germans.
(c) To keep the ships away from the Germans.
(d) They did not destroy their fleet, the Germans destroyed it.
2. In English, what is the name of the illegal newspaper which Annemarie's parents read occasionally?
(a) Freedom from Germany.
(b) The Free Danes.
(c) Danish Freedom Today.
(d) Freedom Fighters.
3. Where does Annemarie indicate she has hidden her necklace in Chapter 7?
(a) On Uncle Henrik's boat.
(b) Somewhere safe.
(c) In with the baby pictures.
(d) In her Bible.
4. After going to Uncle Henrik's house, what does Mama insist the girls do from then on?
(a) Only swim during the night.
(b) Eat only potatoes.
(c) Help Uncle Henrik on the boat.
(d) Stay in the house.
5. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen to take a specific item she is wearing off in Chapter 5?
(a) It has a Star of David on it.
(b) It is illegal to wear jewelry in front of the German soldiers.
(c) It spells out her name.
(d) It has a picture of her mother in it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Annemarie's mother about being stopped by the soldiers?
2. Where do the girls play during the day at Uncle Henrik's?
3. For what does Ellen apologize to the family in Chapter 6?
4. Where does Annemarie see Uncle Henrik go in the morning in Chapter 8?
5. On what occasion did the destruction of the naval fleet occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the German soldiers asked a little boy why the king would go out alone, what was his answer?
2. Why do the German Soldiers seem a normal part of life to Kirsti?
3. Why does Annemarie often open Lise's trunk?
4. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen she must remove the necklace?
5. Why is Annemarie confused by Henrik announcing that tomorrow would be a good day for fishing?
6. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen as her Uncle had once pointed out to her?
7. What does Annemarie realize when Papa makes a joke about Lise's hair?
8. In Chapter 6, what does Papa think might happen at the school?
9. After what does Kirsti name the new kitten?
10. How do Annemarie and Ellen know that their parents are not telling the truth about Mrs. Hirsch when they say she has gone on a vacation to the seashore?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)