|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are many of the apartments in Annemarie's neighborhood empty?
(a) The Germans left.
(b) The Jewish owners sold them.
(c) The Germans destroyed them.
(d) The Jewish owners fled.
2. How does Annemarie decide the dark shape out the window in Chapter 12 must be her mother?
(a) Her mother moves.
(b) Her mother calls to her.
(c) Her mother waves.
(d) She can see her mother clearly.
3. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
(a) It is too cold to run.
(b) She broke her ankle.
(c) It is still pretty dark.
(d) She cannot breathe well.
4. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
(b) A German soldier.
5. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
(a) He is German.
(b) He went to Sweden with the Rosens.
(c) He is in the Resistance.
(d) He is dead.
6. Who does the author credit for for helping her to write this story?
(a) Annemarie Platt.
(b) Annelise Platt.
(c) Lois Lowry.
(d) Annemarie Lowry.
7. Which of the following words best describes dinner with Uncle Henrik after he has delivered the Rosens to Sweden?
8. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
(a) A jacket.
(c) A sweater.
(d) A blanket.
9. How many German soldiers does Annemarie see when she is on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat?
10. What does Annemarie do in Chapter 10 when the German soldier asks her about who died?
(a) Hides behind Mama.
(b) Pretends she cannot understand him.
(c) Tells the truth.
11. Where is the character who dies at the end of the book buried?
(a) Next to Lise.
(b) Nowhere, his body was never found.
(c) At sea.
(d) In a numbered grave.
12. What do the German soldiers ask Annemarie about her Uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) Why he doesn't eat fish for lunch.
(b) Why he needs her to deliver his lunch.
(c) Why he doesn't get his own lunch.
(d) Where he eats his lunch.
13. In what year did Denmark surrender to Germany?
14. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
(c) Aunt Birte.
(d) Warm clothes.
15. What disease does Mama say Aunt Birte died from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the handkerchief coated with?
2. Who does Annemarie think about while she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
3. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
4. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
5. What does the psalm talk about which was read to the group gathered at Uncle Herik's house in Chapter 10?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)