|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the German soldier tell Mama not to do until they leave in Chapter 10?
(b) Leave the room.
(c) Open the coffin.
(d) Bury Aunt Birte.
2. Who leads the first group of people to the boat in Chapter 11?
(a) Mr. Rosen.
3. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
(a) Traps set by the soldiers.
(b) The package for Henrik.
(c) Clothing that kept the baby warm.
(d) The Star of David necklace.
4. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A jacket.
(c) A sweater.
5. What does Annemarie do when her mother tells her to go to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) Goes out to the barn.
(b) Stays downstairs with the guests.
(c) Goes upstairs to bed.
(d) Sleeps on the couch.
6. What do the German soldiers ask Annemarie about her Uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) Where he eats his lunch.
(b) Why he needs her to deliver his lunch.
(c) Why he doesn't eat fish for lunch.
(d) Why he doesn't get his own lunch.
7. What disease does Mama say Aunt Birte died from?
8. Which of the following words best describes dinner with Uncle Henrik after he has delivered the Rosens to Sweden?
9. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
(a) So it was not afraid of the dark.
(b) So that it did not become sea sick.
(c) So that it could rest.
(d) So that it would not make noise.
10. Which of the following was not a reason Mama considered when allowing Annemarie the opportunity to deliver the package in Chapter 13?
(a) She was not injured.
(b) She knew the way.
(c) She could run fast.
(d) She would not be stopped by soldiers.
11. What was the handkerchief coated with?
(a) Nasal spray.
(b) A special drug.
(c) Dog treats.
(d) Meat smell.
12. Who was the character of Peter based upon in real-life?
(a) G.F. Duckwitz.
(b) Kim Malthe-Bruun.
(c) Peter Neilsen.
(d) Annelise Platt.
13. Why are many of the apartments in Annemarie's neighborhood empty?
(a) The Jewish owners sold them.
(b) The Germans left.
(c) The Germans destroyed them.
(d) The Jewish owners fled.
14. What does Annemarie take out of the pocket of Lise's yellow dress?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A package.
(c) A Star of David necklace.
(d) Peter's notes.
15. Who does the author credit for for helping her to write this story?
(a) Annemarie Lowry.
(b) Annelise Platt.
(c) Annemarie Platt.
(d) Lois Lowry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What childhood story does Annemarie tell herself on the trip to her Uncle's boat to deliver a package?
2. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
3. Which of the following is not an item Annemarie uses to hide the package in Chapter 13?
4. What does the German soldier ask Mama about the coffin in Chapter 10?
5. Which word best describes how Annemarie thinks the Rosens look in their hand-me-down clothes?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)