|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
(a) So that it would not make noise.
(b) So it was not afraid of the dark.
(c) So that it did not become sea sick.
(d) So that it could rest.
2. Which of the following were mixed and placed on the handkerchief to confuse the dogs?
(a) Rabbit's blood and heroine.
(b) Dog's blood and heroine.
(c) Rabbit's blood and cocaine.
(d) Dog's blood and cocaine.
3. How was Lise killed?
(a) Suffocated in a cellar.
(b) Shot by a German soldier.
(c) Executed at a concentration camp.
(d) Run down by a German military car.
4. What does the German soldier tell Mama not to do until they leave in Chapter 10?
(a) Bury Aunt Birte.
(b) Leave the room.
(d) Open the coffin.
5. What was the name of the king of Denmark during the occupation?
(a) Platt IV.
(b) Platt X.
(c) Christian X.
(d) Christian XII.
6. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
(a) The package for Henrik.
(b) The Star of David necklace.
(c) Clothing that kept the baby warm.
(d) Traps set by the soldiers.
7. What action does Peter do after the palsm is finished in Chapter 10?
(a) Takes a group of people to the boat.
(b) Goes to the barn .
(c) Opens the lid to the casket.
(d) Leaves the house.
8. What disease does Mama say Aunt Birte died from?
9. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
(a) Aunt Birte.
(b) Warm clothes.
10. What childhood story does Annemarie tell herself on the trip to her Uncle's boat to deliver a package?
(a) Little Red Riding Hood.
(b) Jack and the Beanstalk.
(c) Snow White.
11. What does the German soldier ask Mama about the coffin in Chapter 10?
(a) Who is in it.
(b) Where it will be buried.
(c) Why it is closed.
(d) Why it is in the living room.
12. What does Henrik tease Annemarie about at the dinner table in Chapter 16?
(a) Mama's broken ankle.
(b) Letting the soldiers eat his food.
(c) Talking to the soldiers.
(d) Milking the cow.
13. Who does the author credit for for helping her to write this story?
(a) Annelise Platt.
(b) Annemarie Platt.
(c) Annemarie Lowry.
(d) Lois Lowry.
14. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 4:00 a.m.
(b) 3:00 a.m.
(c) 5:00 a.m.
(d) 2:00 a.m.
15. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
2. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
3. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
4. What does Kirsti wonder about Ellen in Chapter 16?
5. What does Annemarie do when she comes upon the German soldiers in Chapter 15?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)