|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annemarie take out of the pocket of Lise's yellow dress?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A Star of David necklace.
(c) Peter's notes.
(d) A package.
2. What does Kirsti wonder about Ellen in Chapter 16?
(a) Why she left her parents.
(b) When she will go with her.
(c) When she will come back.
(d) Where she went.
3. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 3:00 a.m.
(b) 5:00 a.m.
(c) 2:00 a.m.
(d) 4:00 a.m.
4. How many German soldiers does Annemarie see when she is on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat?
5. What childhood story does Annemarie tell herself on the trip to her Uncle's boat to deliver a package?
(b) Little Red Riding Hood.
(c) Snow White.
(d) Jack and the Beanstalk.
6. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
(a) Warm clothes.
(c) Aunt Birte.
7. Which of the following does Annemarie think must be scarier than being involved in dangerous situations?
8. What does the German soldier tell Mama not to do until they leave in Chapter 10?
(a) Leave the room.
(b) Bury Aunt Birte.
(c) Open the coffin.
9. What does Annemarie do when her mother tells her to go to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) Goes out to the barn.
(b) Goes upstairs to bed.
(c) Stays downstairs with the guests.
(d) Sleeps on the couch.
10. Which character reads a psalm for all those gathered once the German soldiers leave Uncle Henrik's house?
11. What was the name of the king of Denmark during the occupation?
(a) Platt IV.
(b) Platt X.
(c) Christian XII.
(d) Christian X.
12. Annemarie is afraid of the German soldiers in the woods instead of which dangerous animals?
(c) Mountain lions.
13. When does Henrik leave for his boat in Chapter 10?
(a) Before everyone arrives.
(b) After guests arrive but before the Rosens arrive.
(c) After everyone arrives.
(d) In the middle of the mourning.
14. In what year did Denmark surrender to Germany?
15. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
(a) He is in the Resistance.
(b) He is German.
(c) He went to Sweden with the Rosens.
(d) He is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
2. Who was the character of Peter based upon in real-life?
3. Which of the following is not an item Annemarie uses to hide the package in Chapter 13?
4. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
5. What disease does Mama say Aunt Birte died from?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)