|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter give to Mr. Rosen in Chapter 11?
(b) A package to give to Henrik.
(d) Warm clothes.
2. What was the name of the king of Denmark during the occupation?
(a) Platt X.
(b) Christian X.
(c) Christian XII.
(d) Platt IV.
3. Which character reads a psalm for all those gathered once the German soldiers leave Uncle Henrik's house?
4. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
(a) A package.
(c) A handkerchief.
5. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
(a) So that it could rest.
(b) So it was not afraid of the dark.
(c) So that it did not become sea sick.
(d) So that it would not make noise.
6. What time is it when Mama and the Rosen's leave?
(a) 1:30 a.m.
(b) 2:30 a.m.
(c) 1:00 a.m.
(d) 2:00 a.m.
7. When does Henrik leave for his boat in Chapter 10?
(a) After everyone arrives.
(b) Before everyone arrives.
(c) After guests arrive but before the Rosens arrive.
(d) In the middle of the mourning.
8. What was the handkerchief coated with?
(a) Nasal spray.
(b) A special drug.
(c) Dog treats.
(d) Meat smell.
9. What action does Peter do after the palsm is finished in Chapter 10?
(a) Goes to the barn .
(b) Leaves the house.
(c) Opens the lid to the casket.
(d) Takes a group of people to the boat.
10. What does Henrik tease Annemarie about at the dinner table in Chapter 16?
(a) Talking to the soldiers.
(b) Milking the cow.
(c) Mama's broken ankle.
(d) Letting the soldiers eat his food.
11. Annemarie is afraid of the German soldiers in the woods instead of which dangerous animals?
(a) Mountain lions.
12. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
(b) A German soldier.
13. How many German soldiers does Annemarie see when she is on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat?
14. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
(b) Warm clothes.
(c) Aunt Birte.
15. Who does Annemarie think about while she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the character who dies at the end of the book buried?
2. Which of the following is not an item Annemarie uses to hide the package in Chapter 13?
3. In what year did Denmark surrender to Germany?
4. What does Ellen promise to Annemarie as they part in Chapter 12?
5. How long should Mama wait before she takes the second group to Henrik in Chapter 11?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)