|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Annemarie decide the dark shape out the window in Chapter 12 must be her mother?
(a) Her mother moves.
(b) She can see her mother clearly.
(c) Her mother waves.
(d) Her mother calls to her.
2. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is German.
(c) He went to Sweden with the Rosens.
(d) He is in the Resistance.
3. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
4. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
5. Annemarie is afraid of the German soldiers in the woods instead of which dangerous animals?
(a) Mountain lions.
6. Where does Mama instruct Annemarie to put the package in Chapter 13?
(a) In a lunch basket.
(b) In her backpack.
(c) Under her sweater.
(d) Inside her shoes.
7. How long should Mama wait before she takes the second group to Henrik in Chapter 11?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 60 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 20 minutes.
8. In what year did Denmark surrender to Germany?
9. Which of the following words best describes dinner with Uncle Henrik after he has delivered the Rosens to Sweden?
10. What disease does Mama say Aunt Birte died from?
11. Which of the following is not an item Annemarie uses to hide the package in Chapter 13?
(a) Loaf of bread.
12. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
(a) Aunt Birte.
(c) Warm clothes.
13. Why are many of the apartments in Annemarie's neighborhood empty?
(a) The Germans destroyed them.
(b) The Jewish owners sold them.
(c) The Germans left.
(d) The Jewish owners fled.
14. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
(c) A package.
(d) A handkerchief.
15. How was Lise killed?
(a) Executed at a concentration camp.
(b) Shot by a German soldier.
(c) Suffocated in a cellar.
(d) Run down by a German military car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Annemarie's mother on the return trip to the house from the boat?
2. Where is the character who dies at the end of the book buried?
3. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
4. What was the name of the king of Denmark during the occupation?
5. What does Mama give everyone in the group in Chapter 11?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)