|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annemarie do when her mother tells her to go to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) Goes upstairs to bed.
(b) Sleeps on the couch.
(c) Stays downstairs with the guests.
(d) Goes out to the barn.
2. What did Annemarie's mother tell her to be if she is stopped by soldiers?
(a) An adult.
(b) Deaf and mute.
(c) Unable to understand their language.
(d) A silly little girl.
3. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
(a) A package.
(b) A handkerchief.
4. What does Kirsti wonder about Ellen in Chapter 16?
(a) Where she went.
(b) When she will come back.
(c) When she will go with her.
(d) Why she left her parents.
5. In what does Mama wrap the baby in Chapter 11?
(a) Kirsti's sweater.
(b) Annemarie's jacket.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A coat.
6. Who does the author credit for for helping her to write this story?
(a) Annemarie Lowry.
(b) Lois Lowry.
(c) Annelise Platt.
(d) Annemarie Platt.
7. What action does Peter do after the palsm is finished in Chapter 10?
(a) Leaves the house.
(b) Goes to the barn .
(c) Takes a group of people to the boat.
(d) Opens the lid to the casket.
8. What does Annemarie take out of the pocket of Lise's yellow dress?
(a) A Star of David necklace.
(b) Peter's notes.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) A package.
9. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A jacket.
10. How long should Mama wait before she takes the second group to Henrik in Chapter 11?
(a) 60 minutes.
(b) 20 minutes.
(c) 30 minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
11. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) Nods off.
(b) Takes care of the animals.
(d) Makes food.
12. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
(b) Warm clothes.
(c) Aunt Birte.
13. At what time does Annemarie think her mother should be back at the house after taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 3:00 a.m.
(b) 4:30 a.m.
(c) 3:30 a.m.
(d) 4:00 a.m.
14. Why is Mama's role in Chapter 12 very important?
(a) She knows the area well enough to lead people in the dark.
(b) She can walk quietly.
(c) She knows how to avoid the soldiers.
(d) She knows where Henrik's boat is.
15. What does Annemarie see when she looks out the window in Chapter 12 while waiting for Mama to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) A soldier coming toward the door.
(b) Her mother walking home.
(d) A dark shape in the path.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character slips on a loose step outside of the kitchen door?
2. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
3. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
4. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
5. How does Annemarie decide the dark shape out the window in Chapter 12 must be her mother?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)