|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character reads a psalm for all those gathered once the German soldiers leave Uncle Henrik's house?
2. What does Annemarie do when she comes upon the German soldiers in Chapter 15?
(a) Looks down and away from them.
(b) Asks them to help her.
(c) Ignores them.
(d) Wishes them good morning.
3. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
(a) He is in the Resistance.
(b) He is German.
(c) He went to Sweden with the Rosens.
(d) He is dead.
4. What was the handkerchief coated with?
(a) A special drug.
(b) Nasal spray.
(c) Meat smell.
(d) Dog treats.
5. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
(a) Clothing that kept the baby warm.
(b) The package for Henrik.
(c) Traps set by the soldiers.
(d) The Star of David necklace.
6. At what time does Annemarie think her mother should be back at the house after taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 3:30 a.m.
(b) 4:30 a.m.
(c) 4:00 a.m.
(d) 3:00 a.m.
7. How does Annemarie decide the dark shape out the window in Chapter 12 must be her mother?
(a) Her mother moves.
(b) She can see her mother clearly.
(c) Her mother waves.
(d) Her mother calls to her.
8. What do the German soldiers ask Annemarie about her Uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) Where he eats his lunch.
(b) Why he doesn't eat fish for lunch.
(c) Why he needs her to deliver his lunch.
(d) Why he doesn't get his own lunch.
9. Why does Annemarie say her Uncle won't eat fish?
(a) He is a bad fisherman.
(b) He's allergic.
(c) He's sick of the smell.
(d) The German's take all of the fish.
10. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
(a) So that it did not become sea sick.
(b) So that it would not make noise.
(c) So it was not afraid of the dark.
(d) So that it could rest.
11. Which of the following words best describes dinner with Uncle Henrik after he has delivered the Rosens to Sweden?
12. Who does Annemarie think about while she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
13. Which of the following was not a reason Mama considered when allowing Annemarie the opportunity to deliver the package in Chapter 13?
(a) She would not be stopped by soldiers.
(b) She could run fast.
(c) She knew the way.
(d) She was not injured.
14. What does Annemarie do in Chapter 10 when the German soldier asks her about who died?
(b) Tells the truth.
(c) Hides behind Mama.
(d) Pretends she cannot understand him.
15. What action does Peter do after the palsm is finished in Chapter 10?
(a) Opens the lid to the casket.
(b) Leaves the house.
(c) Takes a group of people to the boat.
(d) Goes to the barn .
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Mama wrap the baby in Chapter 11?
2. What happened to Annemarie's mother on the return trip to the house from the boat?
3. Where does Annemarie assume the Rosens will be taken in Chapter 11?
4. Why is Mama's role in Chapter 12 very important?
5. What does the German soldier ask Mama about the coffin in Chapter 10?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)