|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Henrik leave for his boat in Chapter 10?
(a) Before everyone arrives.
(b) After guests arrive but before the Rosens arrive.
(c) In the middle of the mourning.
(d) After everyone arrives.
2. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 2:00 a.m.
(b) 3:00 a.m.
(c) 5:00 a.m.
(d) 4:00 a.m.
3. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
(a) A handkerchief.
(d) A package.
4. What was the name of the king of Denmark during the occupation?
(a) Platt IV.
(b) Christian X.
(c) Platt X.
(d) Christian XII.
5. What does Annemarie see when she looks out the window in Chapter 12 while waiting for Mama to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) Her mother walking home.
(b) A soldier coming toward the door.
(d) A dark shape in the path.
6. In what does Mama wrap the baby in Chapter 11?
(a) A blanket.
(b) Annemarie's jacket.
(c) A coat.
(d) Kirsti's sweater.
7. Who does the author credit for for helping her to write this story?
(a) Lois Lowry.
(b) Annelise Platt.
(c) Annemarie Platt.
(d) Annemarie Lowry.
8. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
(a) So it was not afraid of the dark.
(b) So that it did not become sea sick.
(c) So that it would not make noise.
(d) So that it could rest.
9. Which word best describes how Annemarie thinks the Rosens look in their hand-me-down clothes?
10. What does Mama give everyone in the group in Chapter 11?
(a) Tea to drink.
(b) A package of food.
(c) Warm drinks.
(d) Warm clothes.
11. What does Annemarie do when her mother tells her to go to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) Sleeps on the couch.
(b) Stays downstairs with the guests.
(c) Goes out to the barn.
(d) Goes upstairs to bed.
12. How long does Annemarie believe it will take Mama to take the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 60 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 20 minutes.
13. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
(a) He went to Sweden with the Rosens.
(b) He is in the Resistance.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He is German.
14. What does Kirsti wonder about Ellen in Chapter 16?
(a) Why she left her parents.
(b) When she will go with her.
(c) Where she went.
(d) When she will come back.
15. What does Ellen promise to Annemarie as they part in Chapter 12?
(a) To write.
(b) To not be scared.
(c) To come back one day.
(d) To call.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the character of Peter based upon in real-life?
2. In Chapter 17, how many more years is it until the war ends?
3. What does Peter announce once the psalm has been read in Chapter 10?
4. How was Lise killed?
5. What happened to Annemarie's mother on the return trip to the house from the boat?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)