|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are many of the apartments in Annemarie's neighborhood empty?
(a) The Jewish owners sold them.
(b) The Germans destroyed them.
(c) The Germans left.
(d) The Jewish owners fled.
2. What are the German soldiers holding when Annemarie first sees them when she is on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat?
(b) Dogs on leashes.
(c) A basket filled with food.
(d) The Rosens.
3. What does the German soldier tell Mama not to do until they leave in Chapter 10?
(a) Bury Aunt Birte.
(b) Leave the room.
(d) Open the coffin.
4. Why does Annemarie believe that Kirsti did not feel fear when stopped by the German soldiers?
(a) She was too innocent to feel fear.
(b) She was too happy to feel fear.
(c) She was too dumb to feel fear.
(d) She was too excited to feel fear.
5. Why does Annemarie say her Uncle won't eat fish?
(a) He's allergic.
(b) He is a bad fisherman.
(c) He's sick of the smell.
(d) The German's take all of the fish.
6. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A sweater.
7. What does Annemarie do when she comes upon the German soldiers in Chapter 15?
(a) Wishes them good morning.
(b) Looks down and away from them.
(c) Ignores them.
(d) Asks them to help her.
8. What time is it when Mama and the Rosen's leave?
(a) 1:00 a.m.
(b) 2:30 a.m.
(c) 1:30 a.m.
(d) 2:00 a.m.
9. What does Annemarie see when she looks out the window in Chapter 12 while waiting for Mama to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) Her mother walking home.
(c) A soldier coming toward the door.
(d) A dark shape in the path.
10. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) A German soldier.
11. What does Peter tell Mama to do once she has delivered the Rosens to Henrik in Chapter 11?
(a) Go to the barn.
(b) Stay on the boat until morning.
(c) Go to the beach to pretend she is taking a walk.
(d) Return to the house right away.
12. Who does Annemarie think about while she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
13. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
(a) Aunt Birte.
(d) Warm clothes.
14. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
15. What does Henrik tease Annemarie about at the dinner table in Chapter 16?
(a) Talking to the soldiers.
(b) Milking the cow.
(c) Mama's broken ankle.
(d) Letting the soldiers eat his food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the handkerchief coated with?
2. What action does Peter do after the palsm is finished in Chapter 10?
3. What childhood story does Annemarie tell herself on the trip to her Uncle's boat to deliver a package?
4. What does Kirsti wonder about Ellen in Chapter 16?
5. Which of the following is not an item Annemarie uses to hide the package in Chapter 13?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)