|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kirsti wonder about Ellen in Chapter 16?
(a) When she will come back.
(b) When she will go with her.
(c) Where she went.
(d) Why she left her parents.
2. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) Nods off.
(b) Takes care of the animals.
(c) Makes food.
3. Which of the following does Annemarie think must be scarier than being involved in dangerous situations?
4. Why does Peter tell the group in Chapter 11 that they will need warm clothes?
(a) The boat has no heat.
(b) They will have to travel by horse.
(c) They will be outside for a long time.
(d) Their trip will be cold.
5. What did Annemarie's mother tell her to be if she is stopped by soldiers?
(a) A silly little girl.
(b) Unable to understand their language.
(c) An adult.
(d) Deaf and mute.
6. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
(a) A handkerchief.
(d) A package.
7. Which of the following was not a reason Mama considered when allowing Annemarie the opportunity to deliver the package in Chapter 13?
(a) She could run fast.
(b) She would not be stopped by soldiers.
(c) She knew the way.
(d) She was not injured.
8. When does Henrik leave for his boat in Chapter 10?
(a) In the middle of the mourning.
(b) After guests arrive but before the Rosens arrive.
(c) Before everyone arrives.
(d) After everyone arrives.
9. Who does the author credit for for helping her to write this story?
(a) Lois Lowry.
(b) Annelise Platt.
(c) Annemarie Lowry.
(d) Annemarie Platt.
10. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
(a) So that it did not become sea sick.
(b) So that it could rest.
(c) So that it would not make noise.
(d) So it was not afraid of the dark.
11. Which of the following were mixed and placed on the handkerchief to confuse the dogs?
(a) Dog's blood and cocaine.
(b) Rabbit's blood and cocaine.
(c) Dog's blood and heroine.
(d) Rabbit's blood and heroine.
12. Which word best describes how Annemarie thinks the Rosens look in their hand-me-down clothes?
13. How does Annemarie decide the dark shape out the window in Chapter 12 must be her mother?
(a) Her mother calls to her.
(b) She can see her mother clearly.
(c) Her mother waves.
(d) Her mother moves.
14. While on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat, Annemarie hits a fork in the path; which direction does she choose to go?
(a) Toward the beach.
(b) The shorter path.
(c) Deeper into the woods.
(d) Back toward the house.
15. What action does Peter do after the palsm is finished in Chapter 10?
(a) Takes a group of people to the boat.
(b) Goes to the barn .
(c) Opens the lid to the casket.
(d) Leaves the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character reads a psalm for all those gathered once the German soldiers leave Uncle Henrik's house?
2. Which of the following words does not describe how Annemarie sees the world during the prayer reading in Chapter 10?
3. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
4. What does Henrik tease Annemarie about at the dinner table in Chapter 16?
5. What does the German soldier ask Mama about the coffin in Chapter 10?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)