|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many German soldiers does Annemarie see when she is on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat?
2. What do the German soldiers ask Annemarie about her Uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) Where he eats his lunch.
(b) Why he doesn't eat fish for lunch.
(c) Why he needs her to deliver his lunch.
(d) Why he doesn't get his own lunch.
3. What does Peter give to Mr. Rosen in Chapter 11?
(b) Warm clothes.
(c) A package to give to Henrik.
4. What does Annemarie take out of the pocket of Lise's yellow dress?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A Star of David necklace.
(c) Peter's notes.
(d) A package.
5. What does the German soldier tell Mama not to do until they leave in Chapter 10?
(a) Open the coffin.
(b) Bury Aunt Birte.
(d) Leave the room.
6. Which of the following was not a reason Mama considered when allowing Annemarie the opportunity to deliver the package in Chapter 13?
(a) She could run fast.
(b) She knew the way.
(c) She was not injured.
(d) She would not be stopped by soldiers.
7. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
(b) A blanket.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A sweater.
8. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 4:00 a.m.
(b) 3:00 a.m.
(c) 5:00 a.m.
(d) 2:00 a.m.
9. What does Henrik tease Annemarie about at the dinner table in Chapter 16?
(a) Talking to the soldiers.
(b) Milking the cow.
(c) Letting the soldiers eat his food.
(d) Mama's broken ankle.
10. While on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat, Annemarie hits a fork in the path; which direction does she choose to go?
(a) Toward the beach.
(b) Back toward the house.
(c) The shorter path.
(d) Deeper into the woods.
11. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
(a) So it was not afraid of the dark.
(b) So that it would not make noise.
(c) So that it could rest.
(d) So that it did not become sea sick.
12. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
(b) Aunt Birte.
(d) Warm clothes.
13. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
(a) It is still pretty dark.
(b) She cannot breathe well.
(c) She broke her ankle.
(d) It is too cold to run.
14. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
15. At what time does Annemarie think her mother should be back at the house after taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 3:00 a.m.
(b) 3:30 a.m.
(c) 4:00 a.m.
(d) 4:30 a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
2. How was Lise killed?
3. Which of the following does Annemarie think must be scarier than being involved in dangerous situations?
4. What does Ellen promise to Annemarie as they part in Chapter 12?
5. Who was the character of Peter based upon in real-life?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)