|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not an item Annemarie uses to hide the package in Chapter 13?
(d) Loaf of bread.
2. What did Annemarie's mother tell her to be if she is stopped by soldiers?
(a) An adult.
(b) A silly little girl.
(c) Unable to understand their language.
(d) Deaf and mute.
3. What was the handkerchief coated with?
(a) Dog treats.
(b) A special drug.
(c) Nasal spray.
(d) Meat smell.
4. What does Annemarie see when she looks out the window in Chapter 12 while waiting for Mama to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) A soldier coming toward the door.
(b) Her mother walking home.
(c) A dark shape in the path.
5. Why are many of the apartments in Annemarie's neighborhood empty?
(a) The Germans destroyed them.
(b) The Jewish owners sold them.
(c) The Germans left.
(d) The Jewish owners fled.
6. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
7. What do the German soldiers ask Annemarie about her Uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) Why he doesn't get his own lunch.
(b) Where he eats his lunch.
(c) Why he needs her to deliver his lunch.
(d) Why he doesn't eat fish for lunch.
8. What does Annemarie take out of the pocket of Lise's yellow dress?
(a) A package.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) Peter's notes.
(d) A Star of David necklace.
9. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
10. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A package.
11. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
(a) She cannot breathe well.
(b) It is still pretty dark.
(c) It is too cold to run.
(d) She broke her ankle.
12. What time is it when Mama and the Rosen's leave?
(a) 2:30 a.m.
(b) 1:30 a.m.
(c) 1:00 a.m.
(d) 2:00 a.m.
13. What was Mr. Rosen's profession?
14. While on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat, Annemarie hits a fork in the path; which direction does she choose to go?
(a) Toward the beach.
(b) Back toward the house.
(c) Deeper into the woods.
(d) The shorter path.
15. What disease does Mama say Aunt Birte died from?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Annemarie believe it will take Mama to take the Rosens to the boat?
2. How was Lise killed?
3. Where does Annemarie assume the Rosens will be taken in Chapter 11?
4. Why is Mama's role in Chapter 12 very important?
5. What does the German soldier tell Mama not to do until they leave in Chapter 10?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)