|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Annemarie assume the Rosens will be taken in Chapter 11?
(a) United States.
2. What was the name of the king of Denmark during the occupation?
(a) Platt X.
(b) Platt IV.
(c) Christian X.
(d) Christian XII.
3. Where is the character who dies at the end of the book buried?
(a) In a numbered grave.
(b) At sea.
(c) Next to Lise.
(d) Nowhere, his body was never found.
4. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
(a) Traps set by the soldiers.
(b) The package for Henrik.
(c) Clothing that kept the baby warm.
(d) The Star of David necklace.
5. How does Annemarie decide the dark shape out the window in Chapter 12 must be her mother?
(a) Her mother moves.
(b) Her mother calls to her.
(c) Her mother waves.
(d) She can see her mother clearly.
6. Which character slips on a loose step outside of the kitchen door?
(c) Mr. Rosen.
7. What does Annemarie do when she comes upon the German soldiers in Chapter 15?
(a) Wishes them good morning.
(b) Asks them to help her.
(c) Ignores them.
(d) Looks down and away from them.
8. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
(d) A German soldier.
9. At what time does Annemarie become worried and run to the window while waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 5:00 a.m.
(b) 4:00 a.m.
(c) 3:00 a.m.
(d) 2:00 a.m.
10. What is the casket at Uncle Henrik's house filled with?
(b) Warm clothes.
(d) Aunt Birte.
11. What did Annemarie's mother tell her to be if she is stopped by soldiers?
(a) A silly little girl.
(b) Deaf and mute.
(c) An adult.
(d) Unable to understand their language.
12. What does the German soldier ask Mama about the coffin in Chapter 10?
(a) Where it will be buried.
(b) Who is in it.
(c) Why it is in the living room.
(d) Why it is closed.
13. Where does Mama instruct Annemarie to put the package in Chapter 13?
(a) In her backpack.
(b) Inside her shoes.
(c) Under her sweater.
(d) In a lunch basket.
14. What do the German soldiers ask Annemarie about her Uncle in Chapter 15?
(a) Why he needs her to deliver his lunch.
(b) Why he doesn't get his own lunch.
(c) Where he eats his lunch.
(d) Why he doesn't eat fish for lunch.
15. When does Henrik leave for his boat in Chapter 10?
(a) Before everyone arrives.
(b) After guests arrive but before the Rosens arrive.
(c) After everyone arrives.
(d) In the middle of the mourning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes dinner with Uncle Henrik after he has delivered the Rosens to Sweden?
2. How long does Annemarie believe it will take Mama to take the Rosens to the boat?
3. Which of the following were mixed and placed on the handkerchief to confuse the dogs?
4. What does Annemarie do as she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
5. While on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat, Annemarie hits a fork in the path; which direction does she choose to go?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)