|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annemarie do in Chapter 10 when the German soldier asks her about who died?
(b) Pretends she cannot understand him.
(c) Hides behind Mama.
(d) Tells the truth.
2. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
(b) A handkerchief.
(d) A package.
3. Who does Annemarie think about while she is waiting for her mother to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
4. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
(a) He went to Sweden with the Rosens.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is German.
(d) He is in the Resistance.
5. Why does Annemarie believe that Kirsti did not feel fear when stopped by the German soldiers?
(a) She was too excited to feel fear.
(b) She was too happy to feel fear.
(c) She was too dumb to feel fear.
(d) She was too innocent to feel fear.
6. Who does the author credit for for helping her to write this story?
(a) Annemarie Platt.
(b) Lois Lowry.
(c) Annelise Platt.
(d) Annemarie Lowry.
7. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
8. What does Annemarie take out of the pocket of Lise's yellow dress?
(a) A package.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) Peter's notes.
(d) A Star of David necklace.
9. What happened to Annemarie's mother on the return trip to the house from the boat?
(a) She broke her ankle.
(b) She was stopped by the soldiers.
(c) She got lost.
(d) She had to hide for a long time.
10. Where does Annemarie assume the Rosens will be taken in Chapter 11?
(a) United States.
11. What does the German soldier ask Mama about the coffin in Chapter 10?
(a) Where it will be buried.
(b) Why it is in the living room.
(c) Who is in it.
(d) Why it is closed.
12. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
(a) A jacket.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A sweater.
13. How was Lise killed?
(a) Run down by a German military car.
(b) Shot by a German soldier.
(c) Executed at a concentration camp.
(d) Suffocated in a cellar.
14. What does Kirsti wonder about Ellen in Chapter 16?
(a) When she will go with her.
(b) Where she went.
(c) Why she left her parents.
(d) When she will come back.
15. What are the German soldiers holding when Annemarie first sees them when she is on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat?
(a) A basket filled with food.
(b) Dogs on leashes.
(d) The Rosens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter give to Mr. Rosen in Chapter 11?
2. When does Henrik leave for his boat in Chapter 10?
3. What story would Inge tell the doctor about her injury?
4. Which of the following were mixed and placed on the handkerchief to confuse the dogs?
5. Why did the baby need to be drugged according to Henrik?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)