|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mama give everyone in the group in Chapter 11?
(a) Warm drinks.
(b) Warm clothes.
(c) A package of food.
(d) Tea to drink.
2. While on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat, Annemarie hits a fork in the path; which direction does she choose to go?
(a) Toward the beach.
(b) The shorter path.
(c) Back toward the house.
(d) Deeper into the woods.
3. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
4. What does Henrik tease Annemarie about at the dinner table in Chapter 16?
(a) Milking the cow.
(b) Talking to the soldiers.
(c) Letting the soldiers eat his food.
(d) Mama's broken ankle.
5. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
6. Why does Peter tell the group in Chapter 11 that they will need warm clothes?
(a) The boat has no heat.
(b) Their trip will be cold.
(c) They will be outside for a long time.
(d) They will have to travel by horse.
7. What does Annemarie do when her mother tells her to go to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) Stays downstairs with the guests.
(b) Goes out to the barn.
(c) Goes upstairs to bed.
(d) Sleeps on the couch.
8. What did Annemarie's mother tell her to be if she is stopped by soldiers?
(a) Unable to understand their language.
(b) A silly little girl.
(c) An adult.
(d) Deaf and mute.
9. Why does Annemarie believe that Kirsti did not feel fear when stopped by the German soldiers?
(a) She was too innocent to feel fear.
(b) She was too dumb to feel fear.
(c) She was too excited to feel fear.
(d) She was too happy to feel fear.
10. What does Peter give to Mr. Rosen in Chapter 11?
(b) A package to give to Henrik.
(d) Warm clothes.
11. What does Ellen promise to Annemarie as they part in Chapter 12?
(a) To call.
(b) To come back one day.
(c) To write.
(d) To not be scared.
12. What was the handkerchief coated with?
(a) Nasal spray.
(b) A special drug.
(c) Meat smell.
(d) Dog treats.
13. What is Annemarie startled to learn about Peter?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is German.
(c) He is in the Resistance.
(d) He went to Sweden with the Rosens.
14. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
(a) Clothing that kept the baby warm.
(b) The Star of David necklace.
(c) Traps set by the soldiers.
(d) The package for Henrik.
15. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
(a) She broke her ankle.
(b) It is still pretty dark.
(c) It is too cold to run.
(d) She cannot breathe well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mama's role in Chapter 12 very important?
2. Which character reads a psalm for all those gathered once the German soldiers leave Uncle Henrik's house?
3. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
4. Where does Mama instruct Annemarie to put the package in Chapter 13?
5. Which of the following were mixed and placed on the handkerchief to confuse the dogs?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)