|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Annemarie say her Uncle won't eat fish?
(a) He's sick of the smell.
(b) The German's take all of the fish.
(c) He's allergic.
(d) He is a bad fisherman.
2. Why is Mama's role in Chapter 12 very important?
(a) She can walk quietly.
(b) She knows the area well enough to lead people in the dark.
(c) She knows how to avoid the soldiers.
(d) She knows where Henrik's boat is.
3. Where does Mama instruct Annemarie to put the package in Chapter 13?
(a) Under her sweater.
(b) In a lunch basket.
(c) In her backpack.
(d) Inside her shoes.
4. What are the German soldiers holding when Annemarie first sees them when she is on her way to deliver a package to her uncle's boat?
(a) The Rosens.
(b) Dogs on leashes.
(c) A basket filled with food.
5. Which of the following words does not describe how Annemarie sees the world during the prayer reading in Chapter 10?
(b) A gift.
6. How was Lise killed?
(a) Suffocated in a cellar.
(b) Executed at a concentration camp.
(c) Shot by a German soldier.
(d) Run down by a German military car.
7. What does Henrik tease Annemarie about at the dinner table in Chapter 16?
(a) Talking to the soldiers.
(b) Mama's broken ankle.
(c) Milking the cow.
(d) Letting the soldiers eat his food.
8. What does the German soldier tell Annemarie that the dogs smell in the basket?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A package.
9. Who does the author credit for for helping her to write this story?
(a) Lois Lowry.
(b) Annelise Platt.
(c) Annemarie Platt.
(d) Annemarie Lowry.
10. In what year did Denmark surrender to Germany?
11. Who leads the first group of people to the boat in Chapter 11?
(c) Mr. Rosen.
12. What does Annemarie find near the steps in Chapter 13?
(a) The package for Henrik.
(b) Traps set by the soldiers.
(c) Clothing that kept the baby warm.
(d) The Star of David necklace.
13. What does Annemarie do in Chapter 10 when the German soldier asks her about who died?
(b) Pretends she cannot understand him.
(c) Hides behind Mama.
(d) Tells the truth.
14. What disease does Mama say Aunt Birte died from?
15. What does Annemarie do when she comes upon the German soldiers in Chapter 15?
(a) Asks them to help her.
(b) Wishes them good morning.
(c) Ignores them.
(d) Looks down and away from them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annemarie see when she looks out the window in Chapter 12 while waiting for Mama to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
2. What do the German soldiers ask Annemarie about her Uncle in Chapter 15?
3. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
4. What item from the casket does Peter give to Ellen?
5. In what does Mama wrap the baby in Chapter 11?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)