|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What childhood story does Annemarie tell herself on the trip to her Uncle's boat to deliver a package?
(a) Jack and the Beanstalk.
(b) Little Red Riding Hood.
(d) Snow White.
2. In Chapter 17, how many more years is it until the war ends?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 3 years.
3. What does Peter give to Mr. Rosen in Chapter 11?
(a) Warm clothes.
(b) A package to give to Henrik.
4. How long does Annemarie believe it will take Mama to take the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 30 minutes.
(b) 60 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 20 minutes.
5. Which character reads a psalm for all those gathered once the German soldiers leave Uncle Henrik's house?
6. What action does Peter do after the palsm is finished in Chapter 10?
(a) Goes to the barn .
(b) Leaves the house.
(c) Takes a group of people to the boat.
(d) Opens the lid to the casket.
7. How long should Mama wait before she takes the second group to Henrik in Chapter 11?
(a) 60 minutes.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 30 minutes.
8. Where does Annemarie assume the Rosens will be taken in Chapter 11?
(c) United States.
9. What does Annemarie do when she comes upon the German soldiers in Chapter 15?
(a) Ignores them.
(b) Asks them to help her.
(c) Wishes them good morning.
(d) Looks down and away from them.
10. Which of the following was not a reason Mama considered when allowing Annemarie the opportunity to deliver the package in Chapter 13?
(a) She could run fast.
(b) She would not be stopped by soldiers.
(c) She knew the way.
(d) She was not injured.
11. At what time does Annemarie think her mother should be back at the house after taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) 4:00 a.m.
(b) 4:30 a.m.
(c) 3:00 a.m.
(d) 3:30 a.m.
12. Why does Annemarie have difficulty running while delivering the package in Chapter 14?
(a) It is too cold to run.
(b) It is still pretty dark.
(c) She cannot breathe well.
(d) She broke her ankle.
13. What does Annemarie see when she looks out the window in Chapter 12 while waiting for Mama to return from taking the Rosens to the boat?
(a) A soldier coming toward the door.
(b) A dark shape in the path.
(c) Her mother walking home.
14. What does Annemarie do when her mother tells her to go to bed in Chapter 10?
(a) Goes upstairs to bed.
(b) Stays downstairs with the guests.
(c) Sleeps on the couch.
(d) Goes out to the barn.
15. How does Annemarie decide the dark shape out the window in Chapter 12 must be her mother?
(a) She can see her mother clearly.
(b) Her mother calls to her.
(c) Her mother waves.
(d) Her mother moves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pounds on the door during the gathering around the casket at Uncle Henrik's house?
2. What story would Inge tell the doctor about her injury?
3. About how many members of Denmark were Jewish during the time period this book is set in?
4. Which of the following characters dies at the end of the book?
5. What does the German soldier tell Mama not to do until they leave in Chapter 10?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)