|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellen's dad do when he sees her for the first time at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Holds her.
(b) Takes her away.
(d) Ignores her for her own protection.
2. What awakens Ellen and Annemarie in Chapter 5?
(a) Her mother crying.
(b) Her mother screaming.
(c) Pounding on the door.
(d) Her father yelling.
3. Where does Annemarie see Uncle Henrik go in the morning in Chapter 8?
(a) To the attic.
(b) To the barn.
(c) To his boat.
(d) To the ocean.
4. In Chapter 9, where does Annemarie go after dinner to have a private conversation with her uncle?
5. What do Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen's mothers do every afternoon?
(a) Get together to make extra blankets.
(b) Cook meals for the fighters.
(c) Drink coffee together.
(d) Walk the girls to school.
6. How do Annemarie's parents prove to the German soldiers she is their child?
(a) Show them a baby picture of a black haired child.
(b) Show them fingerprints.
(c) Show them her birth certificate.
(d) Show them dated birth records.
7. Which character sleeps through the entire invasion of the soldiers into the home?
8. Where does Annemarie go when she wakes up and gets out of bed in Chapter 8?
9. How do Mama and the girls travel to see Uncle Henrik?
10. What pulls up to the house in Chapter 9, which signals that Henrik and Annemarie should return to the house?
(a) Ellen's parents.
(c) A hearse.
11. How brave does Annemarie tell Uncle Henrik she is?
(a) The exact opposite of brave.
(b) The bravest.
(c) Very brave.
(d) Not very brave.
12. Why are the German soldiers suspicious that Ellen is not who she says she is?
(a) Her eyes are blue.
(b) Her hair is black.
(c) Her hair is blonde.
(d) She is taller than Annemarie.
13. As mentioned in Chapter 3, which food item has become a staple in the girl's diet?
14. In English, what is the name of the illegal newspaper which Annemarie's parents read occasionally?
(a) The Free Danes.
(b) Freedom from Germany.
(c) Freedom Fighters.
(d) Danish Freedom Today.
15. What holiday is upcoming which Ellen goes home to help prepare for in Chapter 4?
(a) Jewish New Year.
(b) Yom Kippur.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Germans get from the synagogue?
2. What does Annemarie tell Ellen she should do if the soldiers actually come to the house that night in Chapter 4?
3. Which word describes Mama's feelings when the girls return from the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
4. What does Peter break in order to visit Annemarie's parents at night?
5. In Chapter 4, of what are Kirsti's new shoes made?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)