|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Mama and the girls travel to see Uncle Henrik?
2. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
(a) Activities of the resistance movement.
(b) Fighting in the streets.
(c) Increasing tensions between the Nazis and others.
(d) Orders from their superiors.
3. What month is it when Mama and the girls first travel with Ellen to Uncle Henrik's?
4. Who does Annemarie say are the body guards for King Christian?
(a) All of the men.
(b) The Nazis.
(c) All of Denmark.
(d) All of the knights.
5. In English, what is the name of the illegal newspaper which Annemarie's parents read occasionally?
(a) Danish Freedom Today.
(b) The Free Danes.
(c) Freedom from Germany.
(d) Freedom Fighters.
6. For what does Mama say she has prepared the living room at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) A visit from Aunt Birte.
(b) A casket.
(c) The girls to play.
(d) A visit by the soldiers.
7. What does Annemarie help Mama prepare in Chapter 9?
(b) The candles near the casket.
(d) The living room.
8. Who does Mama introduce the people that arrive at Uncle Henrik's house in Chapter 9 to Ellen as?
(a) Uncle Henrik's friends.
(b) Ellen's parent's friends.
(c) Peter Neilsen's friends.
(d) Great Aunt Birte's friends.
9. Why are the girls supposed to stop by the sewing shop in Chapter 2?
(a) They need more yarn to make blankets because it is so cold.
(b) They help in the sewing shop on certain days of the week.
(c) Annemarie has a broken button on her jacket.
(d) Kirsti has a broken button on her jacket.
10. Which of the following events is the only thing Annemarie knows is true about Lise's death?
(a) She died in tremendous pain.
(b) Peter was with her when she died.
(c) She was hit by a car.
(d) She was 21 when she died.
11. What pulls up to the house in Chapter 9, which signals that Henrik and Annemarie should return to the house?
(b) A hearse.
(c) Ellen's parents.
12. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
(a) A funeral.
(b) Traveling back home.
13. In what way has Peter changed since Lise has been gone?
(a) He's become distraught.
(b) He's become unhappy with life.
(c) He's become more serious.
(d) He's become angry with life.
14. Where does Annemarie's mother tell Annemarie that Mrs. Hirsch probably went?
(a) Seashore for a vacation.
(b) To a camp.
(c) To Sweden.
(d) With the soldiers.
15. What did Annemarie and Ellen see on the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
(d) German soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Annemarie go when she wakes up and gets out of bed in Chapter 8?
2. What special treat did Mama serve for dinner in addition to the fish in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen to take a specific item she is wearing off in Chapter 5?
4. What does Annemarie's mother do when the soldiers come in Chapter 5 that she has not done at night since they were forced to ration electricity?
5. In Chapter 4, of what are Kirsti's new shoes made?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)