|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the German soldiers do with the photo of Lise?
(a) Take it with them as proof.
(b) Hand it back to Annemarie's parents.
(c) Tear it up and grind it into pieces on the floor.
(d) Throw it into the candle flame.
2. What is different about the new route that Annemarie, Ellen and Kirsti take to school in Chapter 2?
(a) It is hillier.
(b) It is shorter.
(c) It is very windy.
(d) It is longer.
3. What does Mama tell Henrik he should get?
(a) A wife.
(b) A new cow.
(c) A maid.
(d) A new boat.
4. Which country did not have Nazi soldiers, according to Annmarie?
5. Who gave Ellen the Star of David necklace?
(a) Her Godmother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her Godfather.
(d) Her father.
6. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
(a) Fighting in the streets.
(b) Activities of the resistance movement.
(c) Increasing tensions between the Nazis and others.
(d) Orders from their superiors.
7. What color are Kirsti's new shoes?
8. What did the Germans get from the synagogue?
(a) A list of all Jews that attend.
(b) All of the materials for the celebration.
(c) Information to close it down.
(d) All the Jews who were praying.
9. Who was Lise engaged to?
10. In Chapter 5, what does Papa tell Henrik that Inge will be bringing him?
(a) Jewish girl.
(c) Carton of cigarettes.
11. Why do Ellen and Annemarie not go to school the day after the German soldiers search their home?
(a) They must continue to hide from the soldiers.
(b) They are too tired from being up all night.
(c) Schools are closed.
(d) Papa says it is too dangerous.
12. Where does Papa tell Annemarie's mother to take the girls in Chapter 6?
(a) Ellen's house.
(c) Uncle Henrik's house.
13. Which word describes best how Ellen feels at the end of Chapter 5?
14. Where does Annemarie indicate she has hidden her necklace in Chapter 7?
(a) In her Bible.
(b) On Uncle Henrik's boat.
(c) In with the baby pictures.
(d) Somewhere safe.
15. What was the main course of the first dinner at Uncle Henrik's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character sleeps through the entire invasion of the soldiers into the home?
2. After what animal has Annemarie nicknamed one of the German soldiers she regularly sees on the street?
3. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at being stopped by the German soldiers in Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 9, where does Annemarie go after dinner to have a private conversation with her uncle?
5. Why can't Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen read the sign on Mrs. Hirsch's door in Chapter 3?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)