|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a famous storyteller who was also a Dane?
(a) Mother Goose.
(b) Hans Christian Anderson.
(c) Brothers Grimm.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
2. Why are the girls supposed to stop by the sewing shop in Chapter 2?
(a) They help in the sewing shop on certain days of the week.
(b) Kirsti has a broken button on her jacket.
(c) They need more yarn to make blankets because it is so cold.
(d) Annemarie has a broken button on her jacket.
3. What did Annemarie and Ellen see on the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
(c) German soldiers.
4. In Chapter 8, where does Henrik say he will be spending the night?
(a) In the barn.
(b) In Sweden.
(c) On his boat.
(d) In the living room.
5. For what does Ellen apologize to the family in Chapter 6?
(a) Saying her name was Lise.
(b) Wearing the Star of David.
(c) Her dark hair.
(d) Making the soldiers come.
6. Why can't Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen read the sign on Mrs. Hirsch's door in Chapter 3?
(a) It is written in English.
(b) It is too high on the door to see clearly.
(c) It is written in German.
(d) It is written and they cannot read.
7. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
(b) A funeral.
(d) Traveling back home.
8. With what toys do Annemarie and Ellen play in Chapter 3?
(b) Paper dolls.
9. Where do Annemarie, Ellen, and Kirsti pretend they are taking their dolls in Chapter 4?
10. How old was Lise when her hair had turned from dark to blonde?
(a) 1 year old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 2 years old.
(d) 3 years old.
11. What holiday does the German soldier ask Mama if she is traveling to her brother's to celebrate?
(a) New Year's.
(d) Yom Kipper.
12. Which country did not have Nazi soldiers, according to Annmarie?
13. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
(a) Fighting in the streets.
(b) Increasing tensions between the Nazis and others.
(c) Activities of the resistance movement.
(d) Orders from their superiors.
14. What is Ellen wearing that Annemarie tells her to take off in Chapter 5?
(b) A necklace.
(c) A ring.
(d) A bracelet.
15. Which word describes best how Ellen feels at the end of Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Ellen the Star of David necklace?
2. In what way has Peter changed since Lise has been gone?
3. Where do Annemarie, Ellen and Kirsti reside at the beginning of this novel?
4. Which of the following characters is Anemarie's younger sister?
5. Why are the German soldiers suspicious that Ellen is not who she says she is?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)