|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Annemarie see Uncle Henrik go in the morning in Chapter 8?
(a) To the attic.
(b) To his boat.
(c) To the ocean.
(d) To the barn.
2. In Chapter 4, what does Annemarie's father tell Ellen and Annemarie to do, should anyone ask?
(a) Pretend to be sisters.
(b) Pretend they do not understand the language.
(c) Pretend they are unable to talk.
(d) Pretend Ellen's parents went to the seashore.
3. Where do the girls play during the day at Uncle Henrik's?
(a) Pasture behind the house.
4. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at the end of Chapter 5?
5. With what toys do Annemarie and Ellen play in Chapter 3?
(d) Paper dolls.
6. What is the name of Henrik's cow?
7. What do Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen's mothers do every afternoon?
(a) Cook meals for the fighters.
(b) Drink coffee together.
(c) Get together to make extra blankets.
(d) Walk the girls to school.
8. In Chapter 8, where does Henrik say he will be spending the night?
(a) In the living room.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In Sweden.
(d) On his boat.
9. How old was Lise when her hair had turned from dark to blonde?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 1 year old.
(c) 3 years old.
(d) 2 years old.
10. What month is it when Mama and the girls first travel with Ellen to Uncle Henrik's?
11. After going to Uncle Henrik's house, what does Mama insist the girls do from then on?
(a) Stay in the house.
(b) Eat only potatoes.
(c) Help Uncle Henrik on the boat.
(d) Only swim during the night.
12. Why can't Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen read the sign on Mrs. Hirsch's door in Chapter 3?
(a) It is written and they cannot read.
(b) It is too high on the door to see clearly.
(c) It is written in German.
(d) It is written in English.
13. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
(b) Traveling back home.
(d) A funeral.
14. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
(a) Fighting in the streets.
(b) Orders from their superiors.
(c) Activities of the resistance movement.
(d) Increasing tensions between the Nazis and others.
15. Which of the following characters has a sewing shop, which is suddenly closed?
(a) Mrs. Johansen.
(b) Mrs. Henrik.
(c) Mrs. Rosen.
(d) Mrs. Hirsch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen across the water from Uncle Henrik's home?
2. Which of the following events is the only thing Annemarie knows is true about Lise's death?
3. What do the German soldiers do with the photo of Lise?
4. Who was Lise engaged to?
5. Where does Annemarie's mother tell Annemarie that Mrs. Hirsch probably went?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)