|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kirsti wish she could have in Chapter 1, but instead is given plain bread?
(c) Birthday cake.
(d) A cupcake.
2. Which of the following characters feels the most comfortable with the visit to Uncle Henrik?
3. In Chapter 5, what do the German soldiers think has happened to the Rosens?
(a) They think they may be hiding with the Johansens.
(b) They think they ran away.
(c) They think they left the country.
(d) They think they are hiding in the building.
4. What special treat did Mama serve for dinner in addition to the fish in Chapter 7?
5. What holiday is upcoming which Ellen goes home to help prepare for in Chapter 4?
(b) Yom Kippur.
(c) Jewish New Year.
6. In English, what is the name of the illegal newspaper which Annemarie's parents read occasionally?
(a) Freedom Fighters.
(b) Freedom from Germany.
(c) The Free Danes.
(d) Danish Freedom Today.
7. What holiday does the German soldier ask Mama if she is traveling to her brother's to celebrate?
(a) New Year's.
(b) Yom Kipper.
8. What does Uncle Henrik admit to Annemarie in the barn?
(a) Mama must lie to save her life.
(b) He is very brave.
(c) There is no Great Aunt Birte.
(d) He is scared of the soldiers.
9. Whose house had Annemarie been visiting when she saw Sweden?
10. Which of the following is a famous storyteller who was also a Dane?
(a) Hans Christian Anderson.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(c) Brothers Grimm.
(d) Mother Goose.
11. Which word below best describes how Annemarie feels in her house the first night Ellen sleeps over after her parents leave?
12. Where do the girls play during the day at Uncle Henrik's?
(a) Pasture behind the house.
13. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
(a) Fighting in the streets.
(b) Orders from their superiors.
(c) Increasing tensions between the Nazis and others.
(d) Activities of the resistance movement.
14. Who gave Ellen the Star of David necklace?
(a) Her Godmother.
(b) Her Godfather.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
15. Where do Annemarie, Ellen, and Kirsti pretend they are taking their dolls in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character goes to bed before the guests for the night of mourning arrive?
2. What does Mama do while the girls play at Uncle Henrik's?
3. After what animal has Annemarie nicknamed one of the German soldiers she regularly sees on the street?
4. Why do Ellen and Annemarie not go to school the day after the German soldiers search their home?
5. Who brings Ellen's parents to Uncle Henrik's house?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)