|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Ellen and Annemarie not go to school the day after the German soldiers search their home?
(a) They must continue to hide from the soldiers.
(b) They are too tired from being up all night.
(c) Papa says it is too dangerous.
(d) Schools are closed.
2. What awakens Ellen and Annemarie in Chapter 5?
(a) Pounding on the door.
(b) Her mother crying.
(c) Her father yelling.
(d) Her mother screaming.
3. What month is it when Mama and the girls first travel with Ellen to Uncle Henrik's?
4. What does Mama tell Henrik he should get?
(a) A wife.
(b) A maid.
(c) A new cow.
(d) A new boat.
5. As mentioned in Chapter 3, which food item has become a staple in the girl's diet?
6. Why did Annemarie's mother say the celebration in Chapter 4 had to be canceled?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Rosen were called away to visit relatives.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Rosen are very ill.
(c) The rationing prevented them from being able to have a celebration.
(d) The Germans took Mr. and Mrs. Rosen away.
7. Why are the girls supposed to stop by the sewing shop in Chapter 2?
(a) They need more yarn to make blankets because it is so cold.
(b) They help in the sewing shop on certain days of the week.
(c) Annemarie has a broken button on her jacket.
(d) Kirsti has a broken button on her jacket.
8. How do Mama and the girls travel to see Uncle Henrik?
9. Whose house had Annemarie been visiting when she saw Sweden?
10. Who does Mama introduce the people that arrive at Uncle Henrik's house in Chapter 9 to Ellen as?
(a) Uncle Henrik's friends.
(b) Ellen's parent's friends.
(c) Great Aunt Birte's friends.
(d) Peter Neilsen's friends.
11. On what occasion did the destruction of the naval fleet occur?
(a) The king's birthday.
(b) Ellen's birthday.
(c) Kirsti's birthday.
(d) Annemarie's birthday.
12. In Chapter 1, what do the German soldiers ask Annemarie and Ellen to tell them first?
(a) Their address.
(b) Their religion.
(c) Their names.
(d) Where they are going.
13. Where does Annemarie's mother tell Annemarie that Mrs. Hirsch probably went?
(a) With the soldiers.
(b) To a camp.
(c) Seashore for a vacation.
(d) To Sweden.
14. What is the name of Henrik's cow?
15. Who was Lise?
(a) Annemarie's older sister.
(b) Annemarie's best friend.
(c) Annemarie's younger sister.
(d) Annemarie's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Annemarie say are the body guards for King Christian?
2. For what does Mama say she has prepared the living room at the end of Chapter 8?
3. Which country did not have Nazi soldiers, according to Annmarie?
4. In what way has Peter changed since Lise has been gone?
5. In Chapter 5, what do the German soldiers think has happened to the Rosens?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)