|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items was listed as being rationed by the Germans?
(b) Sewing supplies.
2. What news does Peter bring when he comes at night to visit Annemarie's parents?
(a) A new issue of the illegal newspaper.
(b) The Germans are closing businesses owned by Jews.
(c) The Germans will be invading various homes.
(d) That Mrs. Hirsch is safely at the seashore.
3. What does Mama do while the girls play at Uncle Henrik's?
(a) Scrubs and dusts the house.
(b) Makes butter.
(c) Prepares the casket.
(d) Makes cream.
4. Where does Annemarie's mother tell Annemarie that Mrs. Hirsch probably went?
(a) With the soldiers.
(b) Seashore for a vacation.
(c) To a camp.
(d) To Sweden.
5. What does Mama tell Henrik he should get?
(a) A new boat.
(b) A wife.
(c) A maid.
(d) A new cow.
6. What was the name of the dog Mama had when she was growing up?
7. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen across the water from Uncle Henrik's home?
(d) German soldiers.
8. Who brings the illegal newspaper to Annemarie's parents?
(a) Peter Neilsen.
(c) Mrs. Rosen.
(d) Mrs. Johansen.
9. What does Uncle Henrik admit to Annemarie in the barn?
(a) He is very brave.
(b) Mama must lie to save her life.
(c) He is scared of the soldiers.
(d) There is no Great Aunt Birte.
10. In Chapter 4, what does Annemarie's father tell Ellen and Annemarie to do, should anyone ask?
(a) Pretend they are unable to talk.
(b) Pretend Ellen's parents went to the seashore.
(c) Pretend to be sisters.
(d) Pretend they do not understand the language.
11. As mentioned in Chapter 3, which food item has become a staple in the girl's diet?
12. How do Mama and the girls travel to see Uncle Henrik?
13. What does Mrs. Rosen insist Annemarie and Ellen do on their way to school the day after being stopped by the German soldiers?
(a) Walk a different way.
(b) Take Annemarie's baby sister with them.
(c) Stay home from school.
(d) Be polite and kind to the soldiers.
14. What was the main course of the first dinner at Uncle Henrik's house?
15. Which of the following characters feels the most comfortable with the visit to Uncle Henrik?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen's mothers do every afternoon?
2. After what animal has Annemarie nicknamed one of the German soldiers she regularly sees on the street?
3. Where do the girls play during the day at Uncle Henrik's?
4. What is different about the new route that Annemarie, Ellen and Kirsti take to school in Chapter 2?
5. Who was Lise?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)