|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters is Anemarie's younger sister?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Papa tell Henrik that Inge will be bringing him?
(a) Carton of cigarettes.
(c) Jewish girl.
3. Which of the following is a famous storyteller who was also a Dane?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Mother Goose.
(c) Hans Christian Anderson.
(d) Brothers Grimm.
4. What does Kirsti want to hear about in her bedtime story from Annemarie in Chapter 2?
(b) Kings and queens.
(c) Cupcakes and sweets.
(d) Life with no soldiers.
5. Where does Annemarie go when she wakes up and gets out of bed in Chapter 8?
6. What holiday is upcoming which Ellen goes home to help prepare for in Chapter 4?
(a) Yom Kippur.
(b) Jewish New Year.
7. On what occasion did the destruction of the naval fleet occur?
(a) Ellen's birthday.
(b) The king's birthday.
(c) Annemarie's birthday.
(d) Kirsti's birthday.
8. Why can't Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen read the sign on Mrs. Hirsch's door in Chapter 3?
(a) It is too high on the door to see clearly.
(b) It is written in English.
(c) It is written and they cannot read.
(d) It is written in German.
9. What news does Peter bring when he comes at night to visit Annemarie's parents?
(a) The Germans will be invading various homes.
(b) That Mrs. Hirsch is safely at the seashore.
(c) The Germans are closing businesses owned by Jews.
(d) A new issue of the illegal newspaper.
10. Which word below best describes how Annemarie feels in her house the first night Ellen sleeps over after her parents leave?
11. In Chapter 8, where does Henrik say he will be spending the night?
(a) In the living room.
(b) In Sweden.
(c) In the barn.
(d) On his boat.
12. What do the German soldiers do with the photo of Lise?
(a) Take it with them as proof.
(b) Hand it back to Annemarie's parents.
(c) Throw it into the candle flame.
(d) Tear it up and grind it into pieces on the floor.
13. In Chapter 5, what do the German soldiers think has happened to the Rosens?
(a) They think they ran away.
(b) They think they are hiding in the building.
(c) They think they left the country.
(d) They think they may be hiding with the Johansens.
14. What does Ellen's dad do when he sees her for the first time at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Ignores her for her own protection.
(b) Holds her.
(c) Takes her away.
15. Which of the following would not be an adjective Annemarie would use to describe her father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Annemarie understand the words of Mrs. Rosen's prayers?
2. What does Kirsti show to the German soldiers when they are stopped getting on the train in Chapter 6?
3. What awakens Ellen and Annemarie in Chapter 5?
4. What does Mrs. Rosen insist Annemarie and Ellen do on their way to school the day after being stopped by the German soldiers?
5. In Chapter 4, of what are Kirsti's new shoes made?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)