|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Annemarie notice is missing from her mother and Uncle Henrik's conversation in Chapter 7?
(c) Serious discussion.
2. Which word describes best how Ellen feels at the end of Chapter 5?
3. What does Ellen's dad do when he sees her for the first time at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Ignores her for her own protection.
(b) Holds her.
(d) Takes her away.
4. Who tells Annemarie's mother about being stopped by the soldiers?
(d) The soldiers.
5. In Chapter 4, what does Annemarie's father tell Ellen and Annemarie to do, should anyone ask?
(a) Pretend Ellen's parents went to the seashore.
(b) Pretend they do not understand the language.
(c) Pretend they are unable to talk.
(d) Pretend to be sisters.
6. What is of great concern to Annemarie's mother about Mrs. Hirsch's shop being closed?
(a) That the Germans will now ration buttons and thread.
(b) That Mrs. Hirsch is not being loyal to the king.
(c) The fact that the sign is written in German.
(d) That Kirsti will not have a button for her jacket.
7. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at the end of Chapter 5?
8. What month is it when Mama and the girls first travel with Ellen to Uncle Henrik's?
9. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
(a) Fighting in the streets.
(b) Increasing tensions between the Nazis and others.
(c) Orders from their superiors.
(d) Activities of the resistance movement.
10. What holiday is upcoming which Ellen goes home to help prepare for in Chapter 4?
(a) Jewish New Year.
(b) Yom Kippur.
11. Why are the German soldiers suspicious that Ellen is not who she says she is?
(a) Her hair is blonde.
(b) Her hair is black.
(c) She is taller than Annemarie.
(d) Her eyes are blue.
12. With what toys do Annemarie and Ellen play in Chapter 3?
(b) Paper dolls.
13. What does Annemarie help Mama prepare in Chapter 9?
(a) The living room.
(b) The candles near the casket.
14. What does Mrs. Rosen insist Annemarie and Ellen do on their way to school the day after being stopped by the German soldiers?
(a) Walk a different way.
(b) Be polite and kind to the soldiers.
(c) Take Annemarie's baby sister with them.
(d) Stay home from school.
15. What do the German soldiers do with the photo of Lise?
(a) Hand it back to Annemarie's parents.
(b) Throw it into the candle flame.
(c) Tear it up and grind it into pieces on the floor.
(d) Take it with them as proof.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Lise?
2. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen across the water from Uncle Henrik's home?
3. How old was Lise when her hair had turned from dark to blonde?
4. Who regularly takes Uncle Henrik's milk?
5. Who brings the illegal newspaper to Annemarie's parents?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)