|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings the illegal newspaper to Annemarie's parents?
(a) Mrs. Johansen.
(c) Mrs. Rosen.
(d) Peter Neilsen.
2. With what toys do Annemarie and Ellen play in Chapter 3?
(d) Paper dolls.
3. What passes between Annemarie and her mother which indicates they both know they are telling a lie in Chapter 9?
(a) A look.
(c) Nothing, Annemarie does not know it is a lie.
(d) A note.
4. Which of the following is the best definition for a trousseau?
(a) Brides clothes and linen.
(b) Nightgowns and sleepwear.
(c) Sheets and pillowcases.
5. Why are the German soldiers suspicious that Ellen is not who she says she is?
(a) Her eyes are blue.
(b) Her hair is blonde.
(c) Her hair is black.
(d) She is taller than Annemarie.
6. In Chapter 8, where does Henrik say he will be spending the night?
(a) In the barn.
(b) On his boat.
(c) In the living room.
(d) In Sweden.
7. Where does Annemarie's mother tell Annemarie that Mrs. Hirsch probably went?
(a) With the soldiers.
(b) Seashore for a vacation.
(c) To Sweden.
(d) To a camp.
8. What was the main course of the first dinner at Uncle Henrik's house?
9. What does Uncle Henrik admit to Annemarie in the barn?
(a) He is very brave.
(b) There is no Great Aunt Birte.
(c) He is scared of the soldiers.
(d) Mama must lie to save her life.
10. In English, what is the name of the illegal newspaper which Annemarie's parents read occasionally?
(a) Freedom Fighters.
(b) Danish Freedom Today.
(c) The Free Danes.
(d) Freedom from Germany.
11. What does Mama tell Henrik he should get?
(a) A new cow.
(b) A maid.
(c) A wife.
(d) A new boat.
12. How long has Lise been gone by the end of Chapter 2?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 2 months.
13. What does Peter break in order to visit Annemarie's parents at night?
(a) The legs on his horse.
(c) Soldiers rules.
(d) Danish law.
14. What does Annemarie help Mama prepare in Chapter 9?
(c) The living room.
(d) The candles near the casket.
15. What does Kirsti show to the German soldiers when they are stopped getting on the train in Chapter 6?
(a) Her doll.
(b) Her black shoes.
(c) Her star of David necklace.
(d) Her new dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen remember from the amusement park best of all?
2. In Chapter 1, what do the German soldiers ask Annemarie and Ellen to tell them first?
3. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at being stopped by the German soldiers in Chapter 1?
4. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
5. Where does Annemarie see Uncle Henrik go in the morning in Chapter 8?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)