|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why couldn't Annemarie understand the words of Mrs. Rosen's prayers?
(a) They were in a different language.
(b) She spoke too fast.
(c) She didn't understand Mrs. Rosen.
(d) They didn't make sense to her.
2. What is Henrik's occupation?
(a) Tourist trips.
3. In Chapter 9, where does Annemarie go after dinner to have a private conversation with her uncle?
4. What did the Germans get from the synagogue?
(a) All the Jews who were praying.
(b) Information to close it down.
(c) A list of all Jews that attend.
(d) All of the materials for the celebration.
5. Who gave Ellen the Star of David necklace?
(a) Her Godfather.
(b) Her Godmother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
6. What month is it when Mama and the girls first travel with Ellen to Uncle Henrik's?
7. In Chapter 4, what does Annemarie's father tell Ellen and Annemarie to do, should anyone ask?
(a) Pretend they do not understand the language.
(b) Pretend they are unable to talk.
(c) Pretend Ellen's parents went to the seashore.
(d) Pretend to be sisters.
8. For what does Mama say she has prepared the living room at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) A casket.
(b) A visit from Aunt Birte.
(c) The girls to play.
(d) A visit by the soldiers.
9. What does Mama tell Henrik he should get?
(a) A wife.
(b) A new boat.
(c) A maid.
(d) A new cow.
10. Where does Annemarie go when she wakes up and gets out of bed in Chapter 8?
11. In Chapter 5, what does Papa tell Henrik that Inge will be bringing him?
(a) Carton of cigarettes.
(c) Jewish girl.
12. Which word describes Ellen's reaction to Uncle Henrik's home for the first time?
13. What pulls up to the house in Chapter 9, which signals that Henrik and Annemarie should return to the house?
(a) Ellen's parents.
(c) A hearse.
14. What does Ellen's dad do when he sees her for the first time at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Takes her away.
(b) Holds her.
(d) Ignores her for her own protection.
15. What does Kirsti want to hear about in her bedtime story from Annemarie in Chapter 2?
(a) Kings and queens.
(b) Life with no soldiers.
(d) Cupcakes and sweets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen to take a specific item she is wearing off in Chapter 5?
2. With what toys do Annemarie and Ellen play in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Annemarie's mother tell Annemarie that Mrs. Hirsch probably went?
4. Where do the girls play during the day at Uncle Henrik's?
5. What happened to Lise?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)