|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Annemarie indicate she has hidden her necklace in Chapter 7?
(a) In her Bible.
(b) In with the baby pictures.
(c) On Uncle Henrik's boat.
(d) Somewhere safe.
2. In Chapter 4, what does Annemarie's father tell Ellen and Annemarie to do, should anyone ask?
(a) Pretend they are unable to talk.
(b) Pretend they do not understand the language.
(c) Pretend Ellen's parents went to the seashore.
(d) Pretend to be sisters.
3. What did Annemarie and Ellen see on the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
(d) German soldiers.
4. Who brings Ellen's parents to Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Great Aunt Birte.
(b) Mr. Rosen.
5. What happened to Lise?
(a) She died in an accident.
(b) Peter's horse trampled her.
(c) She was killed by the soldiers.
(d) She married and moved away.
6. What does Ellen's dad do when he sees her for the first time at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Takes her away.
(c) Ignores her for her own protection.
(d) Holds her.
7. Where does Papa tell Annemarie's mother to take the girls in Chapter 6?
(c) Ellen's house.
(d) Uncle Henrik's house.
8. What pulls up to the house in Chapter 9, which signals that Henrik and Annemarie should return to the house?
(c) A hearse.
(d) Ellen's parents.
9. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
(a) Fighting in the streets.
(b) Activities of the resistance movement.
(c) Orders from their superiors.
(d) Increasing tensions between the Nazis and others.
10. In English, what is the name of the illegal newspaper which Annemarie's parents read occasionally?
(a) The Free Danes.
(b) Freedom from Germany.
(c) Danish Freedom Today.
(d) Freedom Fighters.
11. What awakens Ellen and Annemarie in Chapter 5?
(a) Pounding on the door.
(b) Her father yelling.
(c) Her mother screaming.
(d) Her mother crying.
12. What is different about the new route that Annemarie, Ellen and Kirsti take to school in Chapter 2?
(a) It is longer.
(b) It is hillier.
(c) It is very windy.
(d) It is shorter.
13. Which of the following is the best definition for a trousseau?
(a) Nightgowns and sleepwear.
(b) Brides clothes and linen.
(d) Sheets and pillowcases.
14. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at the end of Chapter 5?
15. Why did the Danes destroy their naval fleet?
(a) To kill Germans.
(b) To build a barrier in the harbor.
(c) To keep the ships away from the Germans.
(d) They did not destroy their fleet, the Germans destroyed it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen across the water from Uncle Henrik's home?
2. What does Mrs. Rosen insist Annemarie and Ellen do on their way to school the day after being stopped by the German soldiers?
3. On what occasion did the destruction of the naval fleet occur?
4. Which character goes to bed before the guests for the night of mourning arrive?
5. Which of the following characters feels the most comfortable with the visit to Uncle Henrik?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)