|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Danes destroy their naval fleet?
(a) To build a barrier in the harbor.
(b) They did not destroy their fleet, the Germans destroyed it.
(c) To kill Germans.
(d) To keep the ships away from the Germans.
2. Why do Ellen and Annemarie not go to school the day after the German soldiers search their home?
(a) Papa says it is too dangerous.
(b) They are too tired from being up all night.
(c) They must continue to hide from the soldiers.
(d) Schools are closed.
3. What does Mrs. Rosen insist Annemarie and Ellen do on their way to school the day after being stopped by the German soldiers?
(a) Walk a different way.
(b) Be polite and kind to the soldiers.
(c) Stay home from school.
(d) Take Annemarie's baby sister with them.
4. What did Annemarie and Ellen see on the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
(a) German soldiers.
5. Who brings the illegal newspaper to Annemarie's parents?
(b) Mrs. Rosen.
(c) Mrs. Johansen.
(d) Peter Neilsen.
6. Which word below best describes how Annemarie feels in her house the first night Ellen sleeps over after her parents leave?
7. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at being stopped by the German soldiers in Chapter 1?
8. Which character sleeps through the entire invasion of the soldiers into the home?
9. What does Kirsti decide to name the kitten?
10. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
(a) Traveling back home.
(d) A funeral.
11. How old was Lise when her hair had turned from dark to blonde?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 1 year old.
(c) 3 years old.
(d) 2 years old.
12. In Chapter 9, what does Annemarie accuse Uncle Henrik and Mama of doing?
(a) Helping the soldiers.
13. What did the Germans get from the synagogue?
(a) Information to close it down.
(b) All the Jews who were praying.
(c) All of the materials for the celebration.
(d) A list of all Jews that attend.
14. In Chapter 9, where does Annemarie go after dinner to have a private conversation with her uncle?
15. Where do the girls play during the day at Uncle Henrik's?
(d) Pasture behind the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Ellen the Star of David necklace?
2. What does Kirsti wish she could have in Chapter 1, but instead is given plain bread?
3. What does Annemarie point out to Ellen across the water from Uncle Henrik's home?
4. How do Annemarie's parents prove to the German soldiers she is their child?
5. How brave does Annemarie tell Uncle Henrik she is?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)