|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the German soldiers suspicious that Ellen is not who she says she is?
(a) She is taller than Annemarie.
(b) Her eyes are blue.
(c) Her hair is blonde.
(d) Her hair is black.
2. Why couldn't Annemarie understand the words of Mrs. Rosen's prayers?
(a) They didn't make sense to her.
(b) She spoke too fast.
(c) She didn't understand Mrs. Rosen.
(d) They were in a different language.
3. Where does Annemarie see Uncle Henrik go in the morning in Chapter 8?
(a) To the ocean.
(b) To the attic.
(c) To the barn.
(d) To his boat.
4. How long has Lise been gone by the end of Chapter 2?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 3 years.
5. Which word below best describes how Annemarie feels in her house the first night Ellen sleeps over after her parents leave?
6. Which of the following events is the only thing Annemarie knows is true about Lise's death?
(a) She was 21 when she died.
(b) She died in tremendous pain.
(c) She was hit by a car.
(d) Peter was with her when she died.
7. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
(b) Traveling back home.
(d) A funeral.
8. Which of the following characters feels the most comfortable with the visit to Uncle Henrik?
9. After what animal has Annemarie nicknamed one of the German soldiers she regularly sees on the street?
10. How old was Lise when her hair had turned from dark to blonde?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 3 years old.
(c) 2 years old.
(d) 1 year old.
11. What does Ellen remember from the amusement park best of all?
12. What does Annemarie tell Ellen she should do if the soldiers actually come to the house that night in Chapter 4?
(b) Pretend she cannot talk.
(c) Pretend she cannot hear.
(d) Tell them her name is Lise.
13. Which word describes Mama's feelings when the girls return from the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
14. What is different about the new route that Annemarie, Ellen and Kirsti take to school in Chapter 2?
(a) It is hillier.
(b) It is longer.
(c) It is shorter.
(d) It is very windy.
15. Whose house had Annemarie been visiting when she saw Sweden?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the dog Mama had when she was growing up?
2. Who tells Annemarie's mother about being stopped by the soldiers?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Annemarie's father tell Ellen and Annemarie to do, should anyone ask?
4. What does Kirsti want to hear about in her bedtime story from Annemarie in Chapter 2?
5. What awakens Ellen and Annemarie in Chapter 5?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)