|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the girls play during the day at Uncle Henrik's?
(a) Pasture behind the house.
2. In what way has Peter changed since Lise has been gone?
(a) He's become unhappy with life.
(b) He's become distraught.
(c) He's become more serious.
(d) He's become angry with life.
3. In Chapter 5, what do the German soldiers think has happened to the Rosens?
(a) They think they are hiding in the building.
(b) They think they left the country.
(c) They think they may be hiding with the Johansens.
(d) They think they ran away.
4. What news does Peter bring when he comes at night to visit Annemarie's parents?
(a) The Germans will be invading various homes.
(b) That Mrs. Hirsch is safely at the seashore.
(c) The Germans are closing businesses owned by Jews.
(d) A new issue of the illegal newspaper.
5. Why does Annemarie tell Ellen to take a specific item she is wearing off in Chapter 5?
(a) It has a picture of her mother in it.
(b) It is illegal to wear jewelry in front of the German soldiers.
(c) It spells out her name.
(d) It has a Star of David on it.
6. What does Kirsti show to the German soldiers when they are stopped getting on the train in Chapter 6?
(a) Her black shoes.
(b) Her star of David necklace.
(c) Her doll.
(d) Her new dress.
7. Who does Annemarie say are the body guards for King Christian?
(a) All of the knights.
(b) The Nazis.
(c) All of Denmark.
(d) All of the men.
8. What holiday does the German soldier ask Mama if she is traveling to her brother's to celebrate?
(a) Yom Kipper.
(d) New Year's.
9. With what toys do Annemarie and Ellen play in Chapter 3?
(c) Paper dolls.
10. Which of the following is a famous storyteller who was also a Dane?
(a) Mother Goose.
(b) Brothers Grimm.
(c) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) Hans Christian Anderson.
11. On what occasion did the destruction of the naval fleet occur?
(a) Kirsti's birthday.
(b) Annemarie's birthday.
(c) The king's birthday.
(d) Ellen's birthday.
12. Which character goes to bed before the guests for the night of mourning arrive?
13. What is Ellen worried about the first night at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Her necklace.
(c) German soldiers.
(d) Annemarie's safety.
14. What does Peter break in order to visit Annemarie's parents at night?
(a) The legs on his horse.
(b) Soldiers rules.
(d) Danish law.
15. What awakens Ellen and Annemarie in Chapter 5?
(a) Her father yelling.
(b) Her mother screaming.
(c) Her mother crying.
(d) Pounding on the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annemarie help Mama prepare in Chapter 9?
2. Which word describes best how Ellen feels at the end of Chapter 5?
3. Why are the girls supposed to stop by the sewing shop in Chapter 2?
4. Which word below best describes how Annemarie feels in her house the first night Ellen sleeps over after her parents leave?
5. What does Ellen's dad do when he sees her for the first time at Uncle Henrik's house?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)