|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word describes best how Annemarie feels at being stopped by the German soldiers in Chapter 1?
2. What month is it when Mama and the girls first travel with Ellen to Uncle Henrik's?
3. Which of the following characters has a sewing shop, which is suddenly closed?
(a) Mrs. Johansen.
(b) Mrs. Hirsch.
(c) Mrs. Rosen.
(d) Mrs. Henrik.
4. Which of the following is the best definition for a trousseau?
(b) Brides clothes and linen.
(c) Nightgowns and sleepwear.
(d) Sheets and pillowcases.
5. Which word describes best how Ellen feels at the end of Chapter 5?
6. Why did Annemarie's mother say the celebration in Chapter 4 had to be canceled?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Rosen are very ill.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Rosen were called away to visit relatives.
(c) The Germans took Mr. and Mrs. Rosen away.
(d) The rationing prevented them from being able to have a celebration.
7. For what does Henrik tell Mama in Chapter 8 that the next day will be good?
(b) A funeral.
(c) Traveling back home.
8. Why are the girls supposed to stop by the sewing shop in Chapter 2?
(a) Annemarie has a broken button on her jacket.
(b) Kirsti has a broken button on her jacket.
(c) They help in the sewing shop on certain days of the week.
(d) They need more yarn to make blankets because it is so cold.
9. In Chapter 5, what does Papa tell Henrik that Inge will be bringing him?
(a) Jewish girl.
(c) Carton of cigarettes.
10. Who brings Ellen's parents to Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Mr. Rosen.
(b) Great Aunt Birte.
11. In Chapter 5, what do the German soldiers think has happened to the Rosens?
(a) They think they left the country.
(b) They think they are hiding in the building.
(c) They think they ran away.
(d) They think they may be hiding with the Johansens.
12. What does Annemarie tell Ellen she should do if the soldiers actually come to the house that night in Chapter 4?
(a) Tell them her name is Lise.
(b) Pretend she cannot talk.
(d) Pretend she cannot hear.
13. Why couldn't Annemarie understand the words of Mrs. Rosen's prayers?
(a) She didn't understand Mrs. Rosen.
(b) They were in a different language.
(c) She spoke too fast.
(d) They didn't make sense to her.
14. What special treat did Mama serve for dinner in addition to the fish in Chapter 7?
15. Why can't Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen read the sign on Mrs. Hirsch's door in Chapter 3?
(a) It is written and they cannot read.
(b) It is written in German.
(c) It is too high on the door to see clearly.
(d) It is written in English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Papa tell Annemarie's mother to take the girls in Chapter 6?
2. What holiday does the German soldier ask Mama if she is traveling to her brother's to celebrate?
3. Which of the following is a famous storyteller who was also a Dane?
4. What awakens Ellen and Annemarie in Chapter 5?
5. Which of the following characters feels the most comfortable with the visit to Uncle Henrik?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)