|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henrik's occupation?
(b) Tourist trips.
2. Why does Mrs. Johansen believe the German soldiers might be on edge in Chapter 1?
(a) Increasing tensions between the Nazis and others.
(b) Fighting in the streets.
(c) Activities of the resistance movement.
(d) Orders from their superiors.
3. With what toys do Annemarie and Ellen play in Chapter 3?
(a) Paper dolls.
4. Who was Lise engaged to?
5. Who does Mama introduce the people that arrive at Uncle Henrik's house in Chapter 9 to Ellen as?
(a) Peter Neilsen's friends.
(b) Ellen's parent's friends.
(c) Uncle Henrik's friends.
(d) Great Aunt Birte's friends.
6. What was the main course of the first dinner at Uncle Henrik's house?
7. What passes between Annemarie and her mother which indicates they both know they are telling a lie in Chapter 9?
(a) A note.
(b) A look.
(c) Nothing, Annemarie does not know it is a lie.
8. What does Ellen's dad do when he sees her for the first time at Uncle Henrik's house?
(a) Holds her.
(b) Takes her away.
(c) Ignores her for her own protection.
9. Why can't Annemarie, Kirsti and Ellen read the sign on Mrs. Hirsch's door in Chapter 3?
(a) It is written and they cannot read.
(b) It is written in German.
(c) It is too high on the door to see clearly.
(d) It is written in English.
10. In Chapter 9, what does Annemarie accuse Uncle Henrik and Mama of doing?
(d) Helping the soldiers.
11. What does Annemarie notice is missing from her mother and Uncle Henrik's conversation in Chapter 7?
(d) Serious discussion.
12. Why are the girls supposed to stop by the sewing shop in Chapter 2?
(a) They need more yarn to make blankets because it is so cold.
(b) They help in the sewing shop on certain days of the week.
(c) Annemarie has a broken button on her jacket.
(d) Kirsti has a broken button on her jacket.
13. In Chapter 9, where does Annemarie go after dinner to have a private conversation with her uncle?
14. Who regularly takes Uncle Henrik's milk?
15. Which word describes Mama's feelings when the girls return from the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
Short Answer Questions
1. After what animal has Annemarie nicknamed one of the German soldiers she regularly sees on the street?
2. Which of the following events is the only thing Annemarie knows is true about Lise's death?
3. For what does Ellen apologize to the family in Chapter 6?
4. What did Annemarie and Ellen see on the beach at Uncle Henrik's?
5. In Chapter 1, what do the German soldiers ask Annemarie and Ellen to tell them first?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)