|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji's grandfather loan Eiji?
2. What is the real reason for Suga's drinking binge?
3. In Chapter Six, what tale does Suga give as the reason for his emotional distress when he shows up drunk one night while Eiji is working?
4. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
5. What strange things does Ai say are happening in Tokyo when she and Eiji talk by telephone at the end of Chapter Eight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eiji's relationship with Anju. What is the relationship like during Anju's life and what is it like once she is dead? What helps Eiji finally accept her death?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the scenes in Number Nine Dream are written in first person and some are written in third person. Some chapters seem disjointed with no chronological order while others are more orderly. Discuss how the structure of the narrative reflects the state of mind of the narrator, Eiji, throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of women in Number Nine dream.
Part I: Which women are treated well by men and which women are treated poorly by men in the novel? How do you explain any differences in the way women are treated?
Part II: Does the treatment of women in the novel reflect the role of women in Japanese society? In what ways?
Part III: What might Ai's defiance of her father to attend school in Paris symbolize about the changing role of women in Japanese society?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)