|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ai Imajo offer to buy Eiji when they meet for breakfast in Chapter Seven?
2. What strange things does Ai say are happening in Tokyo when she and Eiji talk by telephone at the end of Chapter Eight?
3. What does the postcard Eiji receives ask him to do?
4. When his mother phones him, what does Eiji say to her?
5. Which of the following does not describe what Eiji finds when he finally meets his father?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the mother figures in Number Nine Dream: Eiji's mother, Eiji's stepmother, Mrs. Sasaki, and Mama-san. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the John Lennon song Number Nine Dream to the novel. What does John Lennon tell Eiji in his dream that the song means? How do Lennon's references to ghosts and loneliness relate to Eiji's life? What do you think the author is trying to say through the use of the song in the novel's title and in the dream sequence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Number Nine Dream. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)