|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ai Imajo urge Eiji to meet?
2. Why doesn't Eiji's grandfather meet him?
3. What have the pregnant woman in Chapter Six and her husband decided to name their coming baby?
4. In what does Subaru Tsukiyama find his life's meaning?
5. What is Ai Imajo's educational goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Nero's delivery truck driver with whom Eiji rides in Chapter Eight alone in his life instead of married?
2. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
3. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
4. Why does Suga take a new job in Texas and what gift does he give Eiji upon departing for his new position?
5. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
6. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
7. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
8. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
9. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
10. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meaning is one of the themes in Number Nine Dream. Discuss Eiji and any other two characters from the novel and discuss what gives their lives meaning. Does what gives their lives meaning change for any of the characters over the course of the story? What do you think the author is saying through these characters about what gives life meaning?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the fictional manuscript about Goatwriter that Eiji finds and reads in Chapter Five is an allegory of Eiji's own experiences. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the John Lennon song Number Nine Dream to the novel. What does John Lennon tell Eiji in his dream that the song means? How do Lennon's references to ghosts and loneliness relate to Eiji's life? What do you think the author is trying to say through the use of the song in the novel's title and in the dream sequence?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)