|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
2. In Chapter Five, who faxes Eiji a message that he is coming to visit at six o'clock?
3. At the beginning of Chapter Six, where does Eiji go to meet his grandfather?
4. Which of the following does not describe how Eiji sabotages the yakuza at the end of Chapter Seven?
5. Who does Eiji's grandfather pretend to be when he meets Eiji?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
2. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
3. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
4. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
5. In Chapter Seven, what plans does Eiji make with his mother?
6. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
7. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
8. How does Eiji's relationship with Ai Imajo change in Chapter Five?
9. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
10. Why does the second truck driver Eiji rides with in Chapter Eight want to commit suicide and why does he change his mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eiji's relationship with Anju. What is the relationship like during Anju's life and what is it like once she is dead? What helps Eiji finally accept her death?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the scenes in Number Nine Dream are written in first person and some are written in third person. Some chapters seem disjointed with no chronological order while others are more orderly. Discuss how the structure of the narrative reflects the state of mind of the narrator, Eiji, throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Suga's Holy Grail and how it parallels Eiji's search for his father. In what ways are the two quests similar? In what ways are they different? What concepts is the author reinforcing about Eiji's quest in his depiction of Suga's quest?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)