|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji's grandfather loan Eiji?
2. What does Suga succeed in doing in Chapter Seven?
3. When Eiji wakes up from his initial dream in Chapter Eight, where does he find himself?
4. Who meets Eiji when he is expecting to meet his grandfather instead?
5. Who picks up Eiji as he is fleeing the exploding Cadillacs at the beginning of Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
2. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
3. How does Eiji's grandfather show that he approves of Eiji?
4. Describe Eiji's dream about John Lennon and Lennon's song "#9 Dream".
5. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
6. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
7. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
8. After escaping the exploding cars and the yakuza, where does Eiji wake up at the beginning of Chapter Five, and what childhood memories does the place in which he awakens rekindle?
9. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
10. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the fictional manuscript about Goatwriter that Eiji finds and reads in Chapter Five is an allegory of Eiji's own experiences. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the John Lennon song Number Nine Dream to the novel. What does John Lennon tell Eiji in his dream that the song means? How do Lennon's references to ghosts and loneliness relate to Eiji's life? What do you think the author is trying to say through the use of the song in the novel's title and in the dream sequence?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the following father and son relationships: Eiji and his father, Eiji's father and grandfather, and Daimon and his father. Do any of these relationships seem happy? What cultural events or conflicts might some of these relationships reflect? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)