|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eiji's third dream in Chapter Eight about?
2. Which of the following is not part of the story that Monkfish relates to Eiji?
3. In Eiji's dream at the beginning of Chapter Eight, who is grown-up in the dream?
4. Who does Ai Imajo urge Eiji to meet?
5. Who does Eiji fear will hunt him down once he awakens in the strange house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
2. Why does the second truck driver Eiji rides with in Chapter Eight want to commit suicide and why does he change his mind?
3. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
4. Why is the Nero's delivery truck driver with whom Eiji rides in Chapter Eight alone in his life instead of married?
5. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
6. Explain who Mrs. Yamaya is and describe her visit with Eiji.
7. How does Eiji's relationship with Ai Imajo change in Chapter Five?
8. After escaping the exploding cars and the yakuza, where does Eiji wake up at the beginning of Chapter Five, and what childhood memories does the place in which he awakens rekindle?
9. How does Daimon help Eiji's search for his father?
10. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Number Nine Dream contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing in the novel and explain how it is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the scenes in Number Nine Dream are written in first person and some are written in third person. Some chapters seem disjointed with no chronological order while others are more orderly. Discuss how the structure of the narrative reflects the state of mind of the narrator, Eiji, throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Pick any three of Eiji's dreams from Number Nine Dream and analyze them. Discuss any symbolism the dreams contain, if and how the dreams help Eiji accept his twin sister's death, and any foreshadowing the dreams contain.
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)