|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter Six, where does Eiji go to meet his grandfather?
2. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
3. What was Subaru Tsukiyama's profession?
4. Which of the following does not describe how Eiji sabotages the yakuza at the end of Chapter Seven?
5. What is Ai Imajo's educational goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
2. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
3. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
4. Why does the second truck driver Eiji rides with in Chapter Eight want to commit suicide and why does he change his mind?
5. How does Eiji's relationship with Ai Imajo change in Chapter Five?
6. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
7. Explain who Mrs. Yamaya is and describe her visit with Eiji.
8. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
9. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
10. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the scenes in Number Nine Dream are written in first person and some are written in third person. Some chapters seem disjointed with no chronological order while others are more orderly. Discuss how the structure of the narrative reflects the state of mind of the narrator, Eiji, throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Eiji's relationships with his three male friends: Suga, Daimon, and Buntaro. Also, discuss how he meets each of these friends, how they help him and whether he helps any of them, what his relationship with each of them is like, and whether any of the relationships change over the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the mother figures in Number Nine Dream: Eiji's mother, Eiji's stepmother, Mrs. Sasaki, and Mama-san. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)