|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji think of his new job at Nero's Pizza in Chapter Seven?
2. Why has Mrs. Yamaya not been able to get the authorities to make use of the data she has gathered about the yakuza?
3. Which of the following does not describe how Eiji sabotages the yakuza at the end of Chapter Seven?
4. Where does Eiji find himself when he wakes up after his second dream in Chapter Eight?
5. Why does the person in Eiji's third dream say Anju is not dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the second truck driver Eiji rides with in Chapter Eight want to commit suicide and why does he change his mind?
2. After escaping the exploding cars and the yakuza, where does Eiji wake up at the beginning of Chapter Five, and what childhood memories does the place in which he awakens rekindle?
3. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
4. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
5. How does Eiji's grandfather show that he approves of Eiji?
6. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
7. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
8. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
9. Who is Takara Tsukiyama, and how might he lead Eiji to Eiji's father?
10. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eiji's parents. Neither character appears onstage in the novel, yet both play integral roles in the story. What is the parents' relationship history? What are the parents' life situations like at present in terms of their financial situations, their levels of happiness, and their relationships with their children and with significant others? What aspect of Japanese culture is the author depicting in these two characters, and what do you think the author is saying about this aspect of Japanese culture through Eiji's parents?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of women in Number Nine dream.
Part I: Which women are treated well by men and which women are treated poorly by men in the novel? How do you explain any differences in the way women are treated?
Part II: Does the treatment of women in the novel reflect the role of women in Japanese society? In what ways?
Part III: What might Ai's defiance of her father to attend school in Paris symbolize about the changing role of women in Japanese society?
Essay Topic 3
Number Nine Dream contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing in the novel and explain how it is used to indicate events to come.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)