|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
2. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya?
3. Who is Goatwriter?
4. Which of the following is not a reason Eiji's stepmother gives for why Eiji's father does not want to meet him?
5. Which of the following does not describe how Eiji sabotages the yakuza at the end of Chapter Seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
2. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
3. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
4. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
5. Why is the Nero's delivery truck driver with whom Eiji rides in Chapter Eight alone in his life instead of married?
6. Describe Eiji's dream about John Lennon and Lennon's song "#9 Dream".
7. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
8. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
9. In Chapter Seven, what plans does Eiji make with his mother?
10. Why does Suga take a new job in Texas and what gift does he give Eiji upon departing for his new position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the John Lennon song Number Nine Dream to the novel. What does John Lennon tell Eiji in his dream that the song means? How do Lennon's references to ghosts and loneliness relate to Eiji's life? What do you think the author is trying to say through the use of the song in the novel's title and in the dream sequence?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Eiji's relationships with his three male friends: Suga, Daimon, and Buntaro. Also, discuss how he meets each of these friends, how they help him and whether he helps any of them, what his relationship with each of them is like, and whether any of the relationships change over the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Eiji has multiple jobs. Compare and contrast his job at Ueno Station, his job at the Shooting Star video store, and his job at Nero's Pizza. Why does he take each job, what does he learn at each job, and what role does each job play in helping him come to terms with his turbulent family history?
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)