|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a way the yakuza trick Eiji in Chapter Seven?
2. What does Eiji think of his new job at Nero's Pizza in Chapter Seven?
3. Who is Ogre?
4. What is Subaru Tsukiyama's relationship to Eiji?
5. Who is Mrs. Yamaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
2. As he learns about Subaru Tsukiyama's life, what insights does Eiji begin to get about his own life?
3. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
4. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
5. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
6. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
7. Describe Eiji's dream about John Lennon and Lennon's song "#9 Dream".
8. In Chapter Seven, what plans does Eiji make with his mother?
9. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
10. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Eiji is a procrastinator and daydreamer, and spends more time in fantasy and illusion than in reality. Discuss Eiji's character growth over the course of the novel, how he differs at the end of the novel from how he is at the beginning, and what helps facilitate any change in him.
Essay Topic 2
Eiji has multiple jobs. Compare and contrast his job at Ueno Station, his job at the Shooting Star video store, and his job at Nero's Pizza. Why does he take each job, what does he learn at each job, and what role does each job play in helping him come to terms with his turbulent family history?
Essay Topic 3
Number Nine Dream contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing in the novel and explain how it is used to indicate events to come.
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)