|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When his mother phones him, what does Eiji say to her?
2. What is Ai Imajo's educational goal?
3. Who picks up Eiji as he is fleeing the exploding Cadillacs at the beginning of Chapter Five?
4. Who is Monkfish?
5. Why is Ogre not married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
2. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
3. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
4. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
5. After escaping the exploding cars and the yakuza, where does Eiji wake up at the beginning of Chapter Five, and what childhood memories does the place in which he awakens rekindle?
6. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
7. How does Eiji's relationship with Ai Imajo change in Chapter Five?
8. Why does Suga take a new job in Texas and what gift does he give Eiji upon departing for his new position?
9. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
10. Why is Eiji's grandfather disappointed in Eiji's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the John Lennon song Number Nine Dream to the novel. What does John Lennon tell Eiji in his dream that the song means? How do Lennon's references to ghosts and loneliness relate to Eiji's life? What do you think the author is trying to say through the use of the song in the novel's title and in the dream sequence?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the fictional manuscript about Goatwriter that Eiji finds and reads in Chapter Five is an allegory of Eiji's own experiences. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Number Nine Dream. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)