|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Admiral Raizo say Eiji and his grandfather both want?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe something Daimon reveals during his visit with Eiji in Chapter Five?
3. What fact is Eiji surprised to learn about the identity of Mrs. Sasaki, his boss at Ueno Station?
4. Which of the following does not describe how Eiji sabotages the yakuza at the end of Chapter Seven?
5. Who is Eiji's third dream in Chapter Eight about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
2. How does Eiji's relationship with Ai Imajo change in Chapter Five?
3. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
4. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
5. Describe Eiji's dream about John Lennon and Lennon's song "#9 Dream".
6. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
7. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
8. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
9. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
10. Why is the Nero's delivery truck driver with whom Eiji rides in Chapter Eight alone in his life instead of married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of women in Number Nine dream.
Part I: Which women are treated well by men and which women are treated poorly by men in the novel? How do you explain any differences in the way women are treated?
Part II: Does the treatment of women in the novel reflect the role of women in Japanese society? In what ways?
Part III: What might Ai's defiance of her father to attend school in Paris symbolize about the changing role of women in Japanese society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the John Lennon song Number Nine Dream to the novel. What does John Lennon tell Eiji in his dream that the song means? How do Lennon's references to ghosts and loneliness relate to Eiji's life? What do you think the author is trying to say through the use of the song in the novel's title and in the dream sequence?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, Eiji is a procrastinator and daydreamer, and spends more time in fantasy and illusion than in reality. Discuss Eiji's character growth over the course of the novel, how he differs at the end of the novel from how he is at the beginning, and what helps facilitate any change in him.
This section contains 1,452 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)