|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Suga succeed in doing in Chapter Seven?
2. In Eiji's dream at the beginning of Chapter Eight, who is grown-up in the dream?
3. Who is Pithecanthropus?
4. Who is Goatwriter?
5. What have the pregnant woman in Chapter Six and her husband decided to name their coming baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eiji's relationship with Ai Imajo change in Chapter Five?
2. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
3. Who is Takara Tsukiyama, and how might he lead Eiji to Eiji's father?
4. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
5. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
6. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
7. After escaping the exploding cars and the yakuza, where does Eiji wake up at the beginning of Chapter Five, and what childhood memories does the place in which he awakens rekindle?
8. As he learns about Subaru Tsukiyama's life, what insights does Eiji begin to get about his own life?
9. How does Eiji's grandfather show that he approves of Eiji?
10. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meaning is one of the themes in Number Nine Dream. Discuss Eiji and any other two characters from the novel and discuss what gives their lives meaning. Does what gives their lives meaning change for any of the characters over the course of the story? What do you think the author is saying through these characters about what gives life meaning?
Essay Topic 2
Family is an important concept in Number Nine Dream. Compare and contrast Eiji's relationships with his real family members with his relationships with his Tokyo friends who become a substitute family to him. What do you think the author is saying through Eiji's relationships about family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of women in Number Nine dream.
Part I: Which women are treated well by men and which women are treated poorly by men in the novel? How do you explain any differences in the way women are treated?
Part II: Does the treatment of women in the novel reflect the role of women in Japanese society? In what ways?
Part III: What might Ai's defiance of her father to attend school in Paris symbolize about the changing role of women in Japanese society?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)