Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji find inside the file folder?
2. What errand does the attractive waitress leave to do?
3. Which of the following is not an element of Eiji's daydream in Chapter One once it begins to rain?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Four, in what predicament does Eiji find himself?
5. What does Eiji do to the thunder god's statue when he is eleven-years-old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
2. Why is Eiji's grandfather disappointed in Eiji's father?
3. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
4. What information does Ryutaro Morino have about Eiji's father and how does he obtain it?
5. Why does Suga take a new job in Texas and what gift does he give Eiji upon departing for his new position?
6. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
7. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
8. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
9. Who is Takara Tsukiyama, and how might he lead Eiji to Eiji's father?
10. How does the video game Virtua Sapiens relate to Eiji's quest for his father?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eiji's relationship with Anju. What is the relationship like during Anju's life and what is it like once she is dead? What helps Eiji finally accept her death?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the mother figures in Number Nine Dream: Eiji's mother, Eiji's stepmother, Mrs. Sasaki, and Mama-san. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the fictional manuscript about Goatwriter that Eiji finds and reads in Chapter Five is an allegory of Eiji's own experiences. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)