|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Eiji sleep at night in Chapter Two?
2. Who gets Eiji his job by arranging an interview for him with Mrs. Sasaki?
3. Which of the following does not describe what happens to Daimon after the yakuza release him?
4. Who is Mr. Aoyama?
5. With whom does Daimon seem to have tension at the Queen of Spades?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Ryutaro Morino have about Eiji's father and how does he obtain it?
2. How successful are Eiji's initial attempts to contact Akiko Kato?
3. How does Morino trick Eiji with his father's photo in Chapter Four?
4. Who is Cat and what does Eiji's relationship with her indicate?
5. How does the video game Virtua Sapiens relate to Eiji's quest for his father?
6. Why does Eiji think Miriam can lead him to his father and how does he pursue his father through her?
7. Describe the letter Eiji receives from his stepmother in Chapter Three, and how it affects him.
8. What factors make Eiji feel out of place in Tokyo?
9. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
10. Who does Eiji initially think "father" is in Chapter Four, and who does "father" eventually turn out to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Number Nine Dream is set in Japan, and the Japanese characters are affected by Japan's experience in World War II, geishas and concubines, and other aspects of traditional Japanese culture. Discuss how the geographical and cultural setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if David Mitchell had set the novel in the United States or England instead of Japan.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Eiji is a procrastinator and daydreamer, and spends more time in fantasy and illusion than in reality. Discuss Eiji's character growth over the course of the novel, how he differs at the end of the novel from how he is at the beginning, and what helps facilitate any change in him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the John Lennon song Number Nine Dream to the novel. What does John Lennon tell Eiji in his dream that the song means? How do Lennon's references to ghosts and loneliness relate to Eiji's life? What do you think the author is trying to say through the use of the song in the novel's title and in the dream sequence?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)