|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal?
2. What does Eiji leave in the video arcade in Chapter Three?
3. Who do the yakuza men lock up with Eiji in Chapter Four?
4. Who does Eiji find waiting for him when he comes out of the noodle shop in Chapter Four?
5. Before leaving the video arcade in Chapter Three, with whom does Eiji get into a brief discussion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
2. How does Morino trick Eiji with his father's photo in Chapter Four?
3. What does Eiji's fantasy about masquerading as an aquarium cleaner to meet Akako Kato reveal about his character?
4. Discuss Eiji's playing of video games in Chapter Three and what the video games symbolize.
5. Why does the structure of Chapter One switch back and forth between fantasy and reality so often, making it difficult to tell the difference between the two?
6. How successful are Eiji's initial attempts to contact Akiko Kato?
7. How does Eiji's defense in Chapter Three of Ai Imajo, the waitress with the perfect neck at the Jupiter Cafe, affect his developing relationship with Ai?
8. What is the yakuza and how is Daimon tied to the organization?
9. Describe the letter Eiji receives from his stepmother in Chapter Three, and how it affects him.
10. What information does Eiji have about his father as he begins his quest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the following father and son relationships: Eiji and his father, Eiji's father and grandfather, and Daimon and his father. Do any of these relationships seem happy? What cultural events or conflicts might some of these relationships reflect? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the mother figures in Number Nine Dream: Eiji's mother, Eiji's stepmother, Mrs. Sasaki, and Mama-san. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, Eiji is a procrastinator and daydreamer, and spends more time in fantasy and illusion than in reality. Discuss Eiji's character growth over the course of the novel, how he differs at the end of the novel from how he is at the beginning, and what helps facilitate any change in him.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)