|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter Eiji receives from his stepmother accuse Eiji of planning to do?
2. What magazine does Suga read in Chapter Two?
3. What kind of business does Buntaro own?
4. What happens when Eiji finally goes to Akiko Kato's office to confront her?
5. Which of Eiji's coworkers commits suicide when told he is being demoted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Eiji have about his father as he begins his quest?
2. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
3. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
4. Describe what happens to Eiji's twin sister, Anju, shortly after the twins turn eleven and how Eiji is affected by the incident.
5. Why does Eiji engage in so much fantasy and daydreaming?
6. Who is Cat and what does Eiji's relationship with her indicate?
7. How does Eiji's defense in Chapter Three of Ai Imajo, the waitress with the perfect neck at the Jupiter Cafe, affect his developing relationship with Ai?
8. Why does Eiji think Miriam can lead him to his father and how does he pursue his father through her?
9. Why do Donkey and Dowager call the waitress with the perfect neck a "hand cream model", and what does the depiction of the girl's hands in Chapter One really indicate?
10. Who kidnaps Eiji in Chapter Four and why is Eiji kidnapped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the fictional manuscript about Goatwriter that Eiji finds and reads in Chapter Five is an allegory of Eiji's own experiences. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eiji's relationship with Anju. What is the relationship like during Anju's life and what is it like once she is dead? What helps Eiji finally accept her death?
Essay Topic 3
Number Nine Dream contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing in the novel and explain how it is used to indicate events to come.
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)