|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not something Anju can do at age eleven?
2. What magazine does Suga read in Chapter Two?
3. What video game is Eiji playing at the beginning of Chapter Three?
4. Where does Eiji begin receiving messages that "Father" is watching him and will see him soon?
5. Where do the yakuza men lock Eiji in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Eiji's playing of video games in Chapter Three and what the video games symbolize.
2. What rumors has Anju overheard about her mother?
3. How does Eiji's experience with Daimon on his twentieth birthday illustrate his naivety?
4. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
5. Who does Eiji initially think "father" is in Chapter Four, and who does "father" eventually turn out to be?
6. How does Morino trick Eiji with his father's photo in Chapter Four?
7. Describe the letter Eiji receives from his stepmother in Chapter Three, and how it affects him.
8. How does Eiji's defense in Chapter Three of Ai Imajo, the waitress with the perfect neck at the Jupiter Cafe, affect his developing relationship with Ai?
9. Describe what happens to Eiji's twin sister, Anju, shortly after the twins turn eleven and how Eiji is affected by the incident.
10. Describe the strange messages Eiji receives while using the ATM.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eiji has multiple jobs. Compare and contrast his job at Ueno Station, his job at the Shooting Star video store, and his job at Nero's Pizza. Why does he take each job, what does he learn at each job, and what role does each job play in helping him come to terms with his turbulent family history?
Essay Topic 2
Number Nine Dream is set in Japan, and the Japanese characters are affected by Japan's experience in World War II, geishas and concubines, and other aspects of traditional Japanese culture. Discuss how the geographical and cultural setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if David Mitchell had set the novel in the United States or England instead of Japan.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Eiji's relationship with Anju. What is the relationship like during Anju's life and what is it like once she is dead? What helps Eiji finally accept her death?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)