|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What errand does the attractive waitress leave to do?
2. Why have Daimon and Eiji been kidnapped?
3. What happens when Eiji finally goes to Akiko Kato's office to confront her?
4. With whom does Eiji have his first sexual experience?
5. Who saves Eiji's life at the end of Chapter Four when bombs explode, killing the warring yakuza factions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eiji's helping Daimon after the yakuza injure Daimon indicate about Eiji's character?
2. Describe the letter Eiji receives from his stepmother in Chapter Three, and how it affects him.
3. How does Eiji's experience with Daimon on his twentieth birthday illustrate his naivety?
4. Describe Eiji's coworkers at Ueno Station and his relationships with them.
5. Why does Eiji engage in so much fantasy and daydreaming?
6. What information does Eiji have about his father as he begins his quest?
7. Why does Eiji think Miriam can lead him to his father and how does he pursue his father through her?
8. What rumors has Anju overheard about her mother?
9. Who does Eiji initially think "father" is in Chapter Four, and who does "father" eventually turn out to be?
10. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal, and how does it make him feel about contacting his mother again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Suga's Holy Grail and how it parallels Eiji's search for his father. In what ways are the two quests similar? In what ways are they different? What concepts is the author reinforcing about Eiji's quest in his depiction of Suga's quest?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Eiji's relationships with his three male friends: Suga, Daimon, and Buntaro. Also, discuss how he meets each of these friends, how they help him and whether he helps any of them, what his relationship with each of them is like, and whether any of the relationships change over the course of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Pick any three of Eiji's dreams from Number Nine Dream and analyze them. Discuss any symbolism the dreams contain, if and how the dreams help Eiji accept his twin sister's death, and any foreshadowing the dreams contain.
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)