|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Three, who accuses Eiji of spying on her for Daimon?
2. To whom does Eiji think the messages about "Father" refer?
3. To what does Daimon offer to treat Eiji?
4. Who is Mr. Aoyama?
5. What game do Daimon and Eiji play together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eiji's defense in Chapter Three of Ai Imajo, the waitress with the perfect neck at the Jupiter Cafe, affect his developing relationship with Ai?
2. How does Eiji's experience with Daimon on his twentieth birthday illustrate his naivety?
3. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
4. Discuss Eiji's playing of video games in Chapter Three and what the video games symbolize.
5. Describe Eiji's habit of nicknaming people.
6. What happens to Mr. Aoyama in Chapter Two?
7. Describe the letter Eiji receives from his stepmother in Chapter Three, and how it affects him.
8. What does Eiji's helping Daimon after the yakuza injure Daimon indicate about Eiji's character?
9. Why does Eiji think Miriam can lead him to his father and how does he pursue his father through her?
10. Who does Eiji initially think "father" is in Chapter Four, and who does "father" eventually turn out to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family is an important concept in Number Nine Dream. Compare and contrast Eiji's relationships with his real family members with his relationships with his Tokyo friends who become a substitute family to him. What do you think the author is saying through Eiji's relationships about family?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the mother figures in Number Nine Dream: Eiji's mother, Eiji's stepmother, Mrs. Sasaki, and Mama-san. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the following father and son relationships: Eiji and his father, Eiji's father and grandfather, and Daimon and his father. Do any of these relationships seem happy? What cultural events or conflicts might some of these relationships reflect? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)