|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji think about Anju's ability to swim to the whalestone?
2. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal?
3. With whom does Eiji have his first sexual experience?
4. In Eiji's fantasy, what is hidden in his toolbox for him to use in knocking out people?
5. What does Eiji have to do in exchange for information on his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
2. Why does Eiji engage in so much fantasy and daydreaming?
3. What happens to Mr. Aoyama in Chapter Two?
4. How does the video game Virtua Sapiens relate to Eiji's quest for his father?
5. Describe what happens to Eiji's twin sister, Anju, shortly after the twins turn eleven and how Eiji is affected by the incident.
6. Who is Buntaro and what is Eiji's relationship with him like?
7. Who does Eiji initially think "father" is in Chapter Four, and who does "father" eventually turn out to be?
8. Why does the structure of Chapter One switch back and forth between fantasy and reality so often, making it difficult to tell the difference between the two?
9. Describe the strange messages Eiji receives while using the ATM.
10. How does Morino trick Eiji with his father's photo in Chapter Four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eiji's parents. Neither character appears onstage in the novel, yet both play integral roles in the story. What is the parents' relationship history? What are the parents' life situations like at present in terms of their financial situations, their levels of happiness, and their relationships with their children and with significant others? What aspect of Japanese culture is the author depicting in these two characters, and what do you think the author is saying about this aspect of Japanese culture through Eiji's parents?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of women in Number Nine dream.
Part I: Which women are treated well by men and which women are treated poorly by men in the novel? How do you explain any differences in the way women are treated?
Part II: Does the treatment of women in the novel reflect the role of women in Japanese society? In what ways?
Part III: What might Ai's defiance of her father to attend school in Paris symbolize about the changing role of women in Japanese society?
Essay Topic 3
Number Nine Dream contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing in the novel and explain how it is used to indicate events to come.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)