|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not part of the fantasy Eiji tells Anju about the whalestone, a giant rock that emerges from the sea?
2. What is the source of Daimon's money?
3. What happens when Eiji telephones Akiko Kato's office?
4. Who is Wheatie?
5. Who is Mr. Aoyama?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eiji escape death at the end of Chapter Four?
2. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
3. Who kidnaps Eiji in Chapter Four and why is Eiji kidnapped?
4. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal, and how does it make him feel about contacting his mother again?
5. What information does Ryutaro Morino have about Eiji's father and how does he obtain it?
6. What factors make Eiji feel out of place in Tokyo?
7. Describe what happens to Eiji's twin sister, Anju, shortly after the twins turn eleven and how Eiji is affected by the incident.
8. What does Eiji's helping Daimon after the yakuza injure Daimon indicate about Eiji's character?
9. What happens to Mr. Aoyama in Chapter Two?
10. How does Eiji's experience with Daimon on his twentieth birthday illustrate his naivety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Eiji is a procrastinator and daydreamer, and spends more time in fantasy and illusion than in reality. Discuss Eiji's character growth over the course of the novel, how he differs at the end of the novel from how he is at the beginning, and what helps facilitate any change in him.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the scenes in Number Nine Dream are written in first person and some are written in third person. Some chapters seem disjointed with no chronological order while others are more orderly. Discuss how the structure of the narrative reflects the state of mind of the narrator, Eiji, throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Number Nine Dream. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)