|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Eiji sleep at night in Chapter Two?
2. What does Eiji witness while with the yakuza?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Mr. Aoyama?
4. Where does Eiji find the file folder about his father?
5. What is Eiji Miyake's quest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
2. How does Eiji's defense in Chapter Three of Ai Imajo, the waitress with the perfect neck at the Jupiter Cafe, affect his developing relationship with Ai?
3. Describe the strange messages Eiji receives while using the ATM.
4. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
5. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal, and how does it make him feel about contacting his mother again?
6. What is the yakuza and how is Daimon tied to the organization?
7. What information does Ryutaro Morino have about Eiji's father and how does he obtain it?
8. Why does Eiji think Miriam can lead him to his father and how does he pursue his father through her?
9. Describe Eiji's habit of nicknaming people.
10. What does Eiji's helping Daimon after the yakuza injure Daimon indicate about Eiji's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Eiji is a procrastinator and daydreamer, and spends more time in fantasy and illusion than in reality. Discuss Eiji's character growth over the course of the novel, how he differs at the end of the novel from how he is at the beginning, and what helps facilitate any change in him.
Essay Topic 2
Family is an important concept in Number Nine Dream. Compare and contrast Eiji's relationships with his real family members with his relationships with his Tokyo friends who become a substitute family to him. What do you think the author is saying through Eiji's relationships about family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the John Lennon song Number Nine Dream to the novel. What does John Lennon tell Eiji in his dream that the song means? How do Lennon's references to ghosts and loneliness relate to Eiji's life? What do you think the author is trying to say through the use of the song in the novel's title and in the dream sequence?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)