|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Three, who accuses Eiji of spying on her for Daimon?
2. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what does Eiji think has happened to Cat?
3. What is the name of the building in which Akiko Kato works?
4. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal?
5. What does Eiji witness while with the yakuza?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the structure of Chapter One switch back and forth between fantasy and reality so often, making it difficult to tell the difference between the two?
2. Who is Cat and what does Eiji's relationship with her indicate?
3. How does Eiji's experience with Daimon on his twentieth birthday illustrate his naivety?
4. What happens to Mr. Aoyama in Chapter Two?
5. Why does Eiji engage in so much fantasy and daydreaming?
6. Describe the letter Eiji receives from his stepmother in Chapter Three, and how it affects him.
7. How does Morino trick Eiji with his father's photo in Chapter Four?
8. Why do Donkey and Dowager call the waitress with the perfect neck a "hand cream model", and what does the depiction of the girl's hands in Chapter One really indicate?
9. Describe what happens to Eiji's twin sister, Anju, shortly after the twins turn eleven and how Eiji is affected by the incident.
10. Describe Eiji's coworkers at Ueno Station and his relationships with them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Number Nine Dream contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing in the novel and explain how it is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the John Lennon song Number Nine Dream to the novel. What does John Lennon tell Eiji in his dream that the song means? How do Lennon's references to ghosts and loneliness relate to Eiji's life? What do you think the author is trying to say through the use of the song in the novel's title and in the dream sequence?
Essay Topic 3
Meaning is one of the themes in Number Nine Dream. Discuss Eiji and any other two characters from the novel and discuss what gives their lives meaning. Does what gives their lives meaning change for any of the characters over the course of the story? What do you think the author is saying through these characters about what gives life meaning?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)