|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ai Imajo suggest that Eiji search for his father in Tokyo?
2. Where does Eiji begin receiving messages that "Father" is watching him and will see him soon?
3. What game do Daimon and Eiji play together?
4. Who is Akiko Kato?
5. What instrument can Eiji play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
2. How does the video game Virtua Sapiens relate to Eiji's quest for his father?
3. Why does Eiji think Miriam can lead him to his father and how does he pursue his father through her?
4. What does Eiji's helping Daimon after the yakuza injure Daimon indicate about Eiji's character?
5. What does Eiji's fantasy about masquerading as an aquarium cleaner to meet Akako Kato reveal about his character?
6. Describe Eiji's habit of nicknaming people.
7. How does Eiji's experience with Daimon on his twentieth birthday illustrate his naivety?
8. Who does Eiji initially think "father" is in Chapter Four, and who does "father" eventually turn out to be?
9. Why does the structure of Chapter One switch back and forth between fantasy and reality so often, making it difficult to tell the difference between the two?
10. How does Morino trick Eiji with his father's photo in Chapter Four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meaning is one of the themes in Number Nine Dream. Discuss Eiji and any other two characters from the novel and discuss what gives their lives meaning. Does what gives their lives meaning change for any of the characters over the course of the story? What do you think the author is saying through these characters about what gives life meaning?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eiji's relationship with Anju. What is the relationship like during Anju's life and what is it like once she is dead? What helps Eiji finally accept her death?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Eiji's relationships with his three male friends: Suga, Daimon, and Buntaro. Also, discuss how he meets each of these friends, how they help him and whether he helps any of them, what his relationship with each of them is like, and whether any of the relationships change over the course of the novel.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)