|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eiji fantasize knocking out with the item in his toolbox?
2. With whom does Eiji have his first sexual experience?
3. What does Eiji wear on his head in Chapter One?
4. What errand does the attractive waitress leave to do?
5. What kind of yakuza war is going on in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Buntaro and what is Eiji's relationship with him like?
2. How does Eiji escape death at the end of Chapter Four?
3. What information does Eiji have about his father as he begins his quest?
4. Why does Eiji engage in so much fantasy and daydreaming?
5. Describe the strange messages Eiji receives while using the ATM.
6. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
7. Who does Eiji initially think "father" is in Chapter Four, and who does "father" eventually turn out to be?
8. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
9. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
10. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eiji's parents. Neither character appears onstage in the novel, yet both play integral roles in the story. What is the parents' relationship history? What are the parents' life situations like at present in terms of their financial situations, their levels of happiness, and their relationships with their children and with significant others? What aspect of Japanese culture is the author depicting in these two characters, and what do you think the author is saying about this aspect of Japanese culture through Eiji's parents?
Essay Topic 2
Two suicides and one contemplated suicide occur in Number Nine Dream. Discuss Mr. Aoyama's suicide, Subaru Tsukiyama's suicide, and Monkfish's contemplation of suicide. What motivates each of them and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Number Nine Dream. Give three examples of symbolism in the novel and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
This section contains 2,131 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)