|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Daimon?
2. Which of the following is not an element of Eiji's daydream in Chapter One once it begins to rain?
3. Who are Velvet and Coffee?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what does Eiji think has happened to Cat?
5. What does Anju learn about her mother when she accidentally overhears some local women talking in Mrs. Tanaka's store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal, and how does it make him feel about contacting his mother again?
2. What is the significance of the third person viewpoint in the scenes describing Eiji's first drug experience and his experience with Velvet?
3. How does the video game Virtua Sapiens relate to Eiji's quest for his father?
4. What does Eiji's fantasy about masquerading as an aquarium cleaner to meet Akako Kato reveal about his character?
5. Why do Donkey and Dowager call the waitress with the perfect neck a "hand cream model", and what does the depiction of the girl's hands in Chapter One really indicate?
6. Who is Buntaro and what is Eiji's relationship with him like?
7. What happens to Mr. Aoyama in Chapter Two?
8. Who kidnaps Eiji in Chapter Four and why is Eiji kidnapped?
9. Describe Eiji's coworkers at Ueno Station and his relationships with them.
10. What information does Ryutaro Morino have about Eiji's father and how does he obtain it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Number Nine Dream contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite at least three examples of foreshadowing in the novel and explain how it is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the John Lennon song Number Nine Dream to the novel. What does John Lennon tell Eiji in his dream that the song means? How do Lennon's references to ghosts and loneliness relate to Eiji's life? What do you think the author is trying to say through the use of the song in the novel's title and in the dream sequence?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Eiji's relationships with his three male friends: Suga, Daimon, and Buntaro. Also, discuss how he meets each of these friends, how they help him and whether he helps any of them, what his relationship with each of them is like, and whether any of the relationships change over the course of the novel.
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)