|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what does Eiji think has happened to Cat?
2. What is Anju's relationship to Eiji?
3. Who are Frankenstein and Lizard?
4. From what locale does Eiji sit and daydream about meeting Akiko Kato?
5. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumors has Anju overheard about her mother?
2. What information does Eiji have about his father as he begins his quest?
3. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
4. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal, and how does it make him feel about contacting his mother again?
5. Why does the structure of Chapter One switch back and forth between fantasy and reality so often, making it difficult to tell the difference between the two?
6. How does the video game Virtua Sapiens relate to Eiji's quest for his father?
7. How does Eiji escape death at the end of Chapter Four?
8. Describe the letter Eiji receives from his stepmother in Chapter Three, and how it affects him.
9. Describe what happens to Eiji's twin sister, Anju, shortly after the twins turn eleven and how Eiji is affected by the incident.
10. What happens to Mr. Aoyama in Chapter Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the scenes in Number Nine Dream are written in first person and some are written in third person. Some chapters seem disjointed with no chronological order while others are more orderly. Discuss how the structure of the narrative reflects the state of mind of the narrator, Eiji, throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Meaning is one of the themes in Number Nine Dream. Discuss Eiji and any other two characters from the novel and discuss what gives their lives meaning. Does what gives their lives meaning change for any of the characters over the course of the story? What do you think the author is saying through these characters about what gives life meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Eiji's relationships with his three male friends: Suga, Daimon, and Buntaro. Also, discuss how he meets each of these friends, how they help him and whether he helps any of them, what his relationship with each of them is like, and whether any of the relationships change over the course of the novel.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)