|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji come to realize about the word "Father" in the strange messages he receives that Father is watching him?
2. Where do the yakuza men lock Eiji in Chapter Four?
3. What happens when Eiji telephones Akiko Kato's office?
4. What is the source of Daimon's money?
5. Who is Akiko Kato?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the third person viewpoint in the scenes describing Eiji's first drug experience and his experience with Velvet?
2. Discuss Eiji's playing of video games in Chapter Three and what the video games symbolize.
3. Describe Eiji's habit of nicknaming people.
4. What does Eiji's fantasy about masquerading as an aquarium cleaner to meet Akako Kato reveal about his character?
5. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
6. Why does Eiji engage in so much fantasy and daydreaming?
7. Who kidnaps Eiji in Chapter Four and why is Eiji kidnapped?
8. How does the video game Virtua Sapiens relate to Eiji's quest for his father?
9. Describe the strange messages Eiji receives while using the ATM.
10. Describe the letter Eiji receives from his stepmother in Chapter Three, and how it affects him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick any three of Eiji's dreams from Number Nine Dream and analyze them. Discuss any symbolism the dreams contain, if and how the dreams help Eiji accept his twin sister's death, and any foreshadowing the dreams contain.
Essay Topic 2
Number Nine Dream is set in Japan, and the Japanese characters are affected by Japan's experience in World War II, geishas and concubines, and other aspects of traditional Japanese culture. Discuss how the geographical and cultural setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if David Mitchell had set the novel in the United States or England instead of Japan.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Eiji's relationship with Anju. What is the relationship like during Anju's life and what is it like once she is dead? What helps Eiji finally accept her death?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)