|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a way the yakuza trick Eiji in Chapter Seven?
(a) They leave him a message supposedly from his father.
(b) They use Daimon to get Eiji to their meeting place.
(c) The message gives a time and place to meet his father.
(d) The message says his father wants to see him.
2. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
(b) Ai Imajo.
3. Why does the person in Eiji's third dream say Anju is not dead?
(a) Because her death was a dream.
(b) Because life is eternal.
(c) Because she was kidnapped.
(d) Because Eiji won't let her die.
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the unfamiliar house in which Eiji awakens at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) It has no telephone.
(b) A big black dog lives in it.
(c) It is well-furnished and old fashioned.
(d) It has no tv.
5. Whose address does Daimon fax to Eiji after his visit with Eiji?
(a) Eiji's father.
(b) Eiji's mother.
(c) Mr. Tsuru.
(d) The detective that compiled Morino's file on Eiji's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe what Eiji finds when he finally meets his father?
2. Where does Eiji find himself when he wakes up after his second dream in Chapter Eight?
3. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
4. What does Eiji find in the secret room of the unfamiliar house?
5. Who is Eiji's third dream in Chapter Eight about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eiji's relationship with Ai Imajo change in Chapter Five?
2. Why does the second truck driver Eiji rides with in Chapter Eight want to commit suicide and why does he change his mind?
3. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
4. Explain who Mrs. Yamaya is and describe her visit with Eiji.
5. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
6. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
7. How does Eiji's grandfather show that he approves of Eiji?
8. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
9. After escaping the exploding cars and the yakuza, where does Eiji wake up at the beginning of Chapter Five, and what childhood memories does the place in which he awakens rekindle?
10. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)