|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens during Eiji's visit with his mother?
(a) Eiji and his mother argue loudly.
(b) Eiji and his mother blame each other for Anju's death.
(c) Eiji and his mother agree to try and start over.
(d) Eiji's mother runs away from him.
2. Which of the following is not a reason Eiji's stepmother gives for why Eiji's father does not want to meet him?
(a) His father is ashamed of Eiji's illegitimacy.
(b) Eiji's father is ill and in the hospital.
(c) His father considers Eiji a reminder of his worst mistake.
(d) His father wants to preserve his privacy.
3. Why has Mrs. Yamaya not been able to get the authorities to make use of the data she has gathered about the yakuza?
(a) The yakuza own the police and politicians.
(b) The data is hidden in a place guarded by the yakuza.
(c) The yakuza are blackmailing her.
(d) She is in hiding.
4. When Buntaro visits Eiji in Chatper Five, who does he say has been looking for Eiji?
(a) Ai Imajo.
(b) Mr. Tsuru.
(c) Eiji's stepmother.
(d) Eiji's father.
5. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya?
(a) They made her sell drugs for them.
(b) They made her steal for them.
(c) They made her an assassin.
(d) They made her a slave because of her husband's debts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji think of his new job at Nero's Pizza in Chapter Seven?
2. What obstacle does Ai Imajo face in attaining her goal?
3. In Chapter Six, what tale does Suga give as the reason for his emotional distress when he shows up drunk one night while Eiji is working?
4. When Eiji wakes up in a strange house after his night of terror with the yakuza, what childhood memory does it rekindle?
5. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Nero's delivery truck driver with whom Eiji rides in Chapter Eight alone in his life instead of married?
2. In Chapter Seven, what plans does Eiji make with his mother?
3. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
4. Explain who Mrs. Yamaya is and describe her visit with Eiji.
5. How does Daimon help Eiji's search for his father?
6. Why does Suga take a new job in Texas and what gift does he give Eiji upon departing for his new position?
7. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
8. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
9. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
10. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)