|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a reason Mrs. Yamaya has sent information about yakuza activities to Eiji?
(a) She has sent information to people she hopes will act on it.
(b) Eiji shares the first name of her dead son.
(c) She has sent information posthumously.
(d) She wants the yakuza to come after Eiji.
2. What happens in Tokyo at the end of the book?
(a) A flood.
(b) The Olympic games are held there.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A fire.
3. In Chapter Seven, where is Suga going to take a new job?
(a) New York.
4. Why is Ogre not married?
(a) He prefers not to commit himself to marriage.
(b) The woman he loved died and he never got over her.
(c) He fears a wife would spend all his money.
(d) He sleepwalks and acts out his dreams while doing so.
5. In Chapter Six, what does Ai Imajo confide to Eiji?
(a) That she knows who Eiji's father is.
(b) That she is on the run from an abusive husband.
(c) That she loves Eiji.
(d) That she's diabetic and shoots herself with insulin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eiji's second dream in Chapter Eight about?
2. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
3. In Chapter Six, who does Eiji phone with increasing frequency?
4. When Buntaro visits Eiji in Chatper Five, who does he say has been looking for Eiji?
5. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
2. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
3. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
4. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
5. As he learns about Subaru Tsukiyama's life, what insights does Eiji begin to get about his own life?
6. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
7. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
8. Explain who Mrs. Yamaya is and describe her visit with Eiji.
9. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
10. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)