|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Tokyo at the end of the book?
(a) A fire.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) The Olympic games are held there.
(d) A flood.
2. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
(a) Eiji's father is an alcoholic.
(b) Eiji's father sold a 500-year-old family heirloom sword.
(c) Eiji's father has embezzled money from his law firm.
(d) Eiji's father is disrespectful to his father.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe the unfamiliar house in which Eiji awakens at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) It has no tv.
(b) It has no telephone.
(c) It is well-furnished and old fashioned.
(d) A big black dog lives in it.
4. Where does Eiji find himself when he wakes up after his second dream in Chapter Eight?
(a) In the cab of another truck.
(b) In Buntaro's video store.
(c) At the PanOpticon building.
(d) At the Jupiter Cafe.
5. When Eiji wakes up from his initial dream in Chapter Eight, where does he find himself?
(a) In Ai Imajo's apartment.
(b) At the Jupiter Cafe.
(c) At his mother's clinic.
(d) In the cab of a truck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
2. Which of the following does not describe what Eiji finds when he finally meets his father?
3. What is the real reason for Suga's drinking binge?
4. What fact is Eiji surprised to learn about the identity of Mrs. Sasaki, his boss at Ueno Station?
5. What was Subaru Tsukiyama's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Takara Tsukiyama, and how might he lead Eiji to Eiji's father?
2. Why is the Nero's delivery truck driver with whom Eiji rides in Chapter Eight alone in his life instead of married?
3. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
4. After escaping the exploding cars and the yakuza, where does Eiji wake up at the beginning of Chapter Five, and what childhood memories does the place in which he awakens rekindle?
5. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
6. Why does Suga take a new job in Texas and what gift does he give Eiji upon departing for his new position?
7. Describe Eiji's dream about John Lennon and Lennon's song "#9 Dream".
8. How does Daimon help Eiji's search for his father?
9. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
10. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)