|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Eiji's grandfather meet him?
(a) His grandfather is in the hospital.
(b) His grandfather wants his attorney to send Eiji away.
(c) His grandfather has disowned him.
(d) His grandfather has died.
2. Which of the following does not describe how Eiji sabotages the yakuza at the end of Chapter Seven?
(a) He attaches Mrs. Yamaya's data on the yakuza to the virus.
(b) He uses Suga's computer virus.
(c) He sends Mrs. Yamaya's data to theTokyo police.
(d) He bombs Mr. Tsuru's car.
3. Why has Mrs. Yamaya not been able to get the authorities to make use of the data she has gathered about the yakuza?
(a) The yakuza own the police and politicians.
(b) The yakuza are blackmailing her.
(c) She is in hiding.
(d) The data is hidden in a place guarded by the yakuza.
4. What gives Ai Imajo's life meaning?
(a) Her job.
(d) Her family.
5. When Eiji wakes up from his initial dream in Chapter Eight, where does he find himself?
(a) In the cab of a truck.
(b) At the Jupiter Cafe.
(c) In Ai Imajo's apartment.
(d) At his mother's clinic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fact is Eiji surprised to learn about the identity of Mrs. Sasaki, his boss at Ueno Station?
2. Who offers Eiji a job at Nero's pizza?
3. In Chapter Seven, where is Suga going to take a new job?
4. Who is Monkfish?
5. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
2. Who is Takara Tsukiyama, and how might he lead Eiji to Eiji's father?
3. How does Daimon help Eiji's search for his father?
4. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
5. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
6. Why does Suga take a new job in Texas and what gift does he give Eiji upon departing for his new position?
7. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
8. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
9. Explain who Mrs. Yamaya is and describe her visit with Eiji.
10. Why does the second truck driver Eiji rides with in Chapter Eight want to commit suicide and why does he change his mind?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)