|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sends Eiji a postcard in Chapter Five?
(a) His mother.
(b) Ai imajo.
(c) His father.
(d) His stepmother.
2. Why does the person in Eiji's third dream say Anju is not dead?
(a) Because her death was a dream.
(b) Because she was kidnapped.
(c) Because life is eternal.
(d) Because Eiji won't let her die.
3. Where does Eiji find himself when he wakes up after his second dream in Chapter Eight?
(a) At the PanOpticon building.
(b) In the cab of another truck.
(c) At the Jupiter Cafe.
(d) In Buntaro's video store.
4. In Chapter Six, what tale does Suga give as the reason for his emotional distress when he shows up drunk one night while Eiji is working?
(a) A breakup with his girlfriend.
(b) A financial loss.
(c) A car accident in which a young boy was killed.
(d) A job loss.
5. What fact is Eiji surprised to learn about the identity of Mrs. Sasaki, his boss at Ueno Station?
(a) She is his stepmother.
(b) She is Buntaro's mother.
(c) She knows his father.
(d) She is one of his stepsisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
2. How long after his meeting with Admiral Raizo is Eiji supposed to meet his grandfather?
3. When Eiji wakes up in a strange house after his night of terror with the yakuza, what childhood memory does it rekindle?
4. Who is Goatwriter?
5. To whom did Eiji's guitar once belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eiji's dream about John Lennon and Lennon's song "#9 Dream".
2. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
3. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
4. Who is Takara Tsukiyama, and how might he lead Eiji to Eiji's father?
5. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
6. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
7. After escaping the exploding cars and the yakuza, where does Eiji wake up at the beginning of Chapter Five, and what childhood memories does the place in which he awakens rekindle?
8. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
9. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
10. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)