|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who responds to Eiji's personal ad in the newspaper?
(a) A man who thinks Eiji may be his grandson.
(b) A woman who thinks Eiji may be her stepbrother.
(c) A woman who says she knows Eiji's father.
(d) A man who thinks Eiji may be his son.
2. Who is Mrs. Comb?
(a) The owner of the unfamiliar house in which Eiji finds himself.
(b) A hen & Goatwriter's maid in the book Eiji finds and reads.
(c) Eiji's stepsister.
(d) Eiji's stepmother.
3. What is Subaru Tsukiyama's relationship to Eiji?
(a) He is Eiji's father.
(b) He is Eiji's great-uncle, the brother of Eiji's grandfather.
(c) He is Eiji's half-brother.
(d) He is Eiji's grandfather.
4. Why doesn't Eiji's grandfather meet him?
(a) His grandfather is in the hospital.
(b) His grandfather has disowned him.
(c) His grandfather has died.
(d) His grandfather wants his attorney to send Eiji away.
5. Who offers Eiji a job at Nero's pizza?
(a) Ai Imajo.
(c) Mrs. Sasaki.
(d) Ai Imajo's roommate, Sachiko Sera.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of manager is Sachiko Sera at Nero's?
2. What action does Eiji take after receiving the address from Daimon?
3. Who is Eiji's second dream in Chapter Eight about?
4. Which of the following is not part of the story that Monkfish relates to Eiji?
5. What happens in Tokyo at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
2. Why does the second truck driver Eiji rides with in Chapter Eight want to commit suicide and why does he change his mind?
3. How does Eiji's relationship with Ai Imajo change in Chapter Five?
4. Describe Eiji's dream about John Lennon and Lennon's song "#9 Dream".
5. Why is the Nero's delivery truck driver with whom Eiji rides in Chapter Eight alone in his life instead of married?
6. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
7. After escaping the exploding cars and the yakuza, where does Eiji wake up at the beginning of Chapter Five, and what childhood memories does the place in which he awakens rekindle?
8. How does Eiji's grandfather show that he approves of Eiji?
9. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
10. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)