|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
(a) She has a better job for him elsewhere.
(b) He has been fired.
(c) They closed the station after Mr. Aoyama's suicide.
(d) The yakuza or police might be looking for him there.
2. Who is Goatwriter?
(a) Buntaro's brother.
(b) A goat and lead character in the book Eiji finds and reads.
(c) A computer hacker at Ueno Station.
(d) One of the yakuza men.
3. Who does Eiji fear will hunt him down once he awakens in the strange house?
(a) His mother.
(b) His stepmother.
(d) The police and/or the yakuza.
4. Where does Eiji find himself when he wakes up after his second dream in Chapter Eight?
(a) At the Jupiter Cafe.
(b) In the cab of another truck.
(c) At the PanOpticon building.
(d) In Buntaro's video store.
5. What does Admiral Raizo say Eiji and his grandfather both want?
(c) A happy family life.
(d) The love of Eiji's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ogre not married?
2. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
3. Who does Ai Imajo urge Eiji to meet?
4. Why doesn't Eiji take a cigarette when Ogre offers him one?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe the unfamiliar house in which Eiji awakens at the beginning of Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
2. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
3. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
4. Why is Eiji's grandfather disappointed in Eiji's father?
5. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
6. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
7. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
8. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
9. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
10. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)