|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When his mother phones him, what does Eiji say to her?
(a) That she is responsible for Anju's death.
(b) That he never wants to hear from her again.
(c) That she is crazy and needs therapy.
(d) That he wants to come see her.
2. What fact is Eiji surprised to learn about the identity of Mrs. Sasaki, his boss at Ueno Station?
(a) She is Buntaro's mother.
(b) She knows his father.
(c) She is his stepmother.
(d) She is one of his stepsisters.
3. Who is Pithecanthropus?
(a) Goatwriter's friend and a handyman in the book Eiji finds.
(b) A customer in Buntaro's video store.
(c) A yakuza man.
(d) A customer in the Jupiter Cafe.
4. What gives Ai Imajo's life meaning?
(c) Her job.
(d) Her family.
5. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
(a) They killed him and sold his organs on the black market.
(b) They beat him up and left him for dead.
(c) They sold him to an American couple wanting a child.
(d) They made him a yakuza hit man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Eiji's grandfather meet him?
2. When Eiji asks Buntaro what he can do to cover his rent now that he is no longer working at Ueno Station, what does Buntaro propose?
3. Who is Ogre?
4. What is Ai Imajo's educational goal?
5. Who sets Eiji free from the yakuza and saves his life in Chapter Seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
2. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
3. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
4. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
5. Why is the Nero's delivery truck driver with whom Eiji rides in Chapter Eight alone in his life instead of married?
6. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
7. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
8. As he learns about Subaru Tsukiyama's life, what insights does Eiji begin to get about his own life?
9. How does Eiji's relationship with Ai Imajo change in Chapter Five?
10. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)