|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Eiji wakes up in a strange house after his night of terror with the yakuza, what childhood memory does it rekindle?
(a) Moving from relative to relative after Anju's death.
(b) Waking up in an orphanage.
(c) A memory of his mother's house.
(d) A memory of his grandmother's house.
2. When Buntaro visits Eiji in Chatper Five, who does he say has been looking for Eiji?
(a) Mr. Tsuru.
(b) Eiji's father.
(c) Ai Imajo.
(d) Eiji's stepmother.
3. Why doesn't Eiji take a cigarette when Ogre offers him one?
(a) He fears Ogre has germs.
(b) He doesn't like Ogre.
(c) He is allergic to cigarettes.
(d) He has promised AI Imajo he will stop smoking.
4. In Chapter Six, what does Ai Imajo confide to Eiji?
(a) That she loves Eiji.
(b) That she's diabetic and shoots herself with insulin.
(c) That she is on the run from an abusive husband.
(d) That she knows who Eiji's father is.
5. What is Ai Imajo's educational goal?
(a) To get a law degree.
(b) To go to medical school.
(c) To attend a prestigious school in Paris to study music.
(d) To become an accountant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eiji's third dream in Chapter Eight about?
2. Why does the person in Eiji's third dream say Anju is not dead?
3. Who is Ogre?
4. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
5. What happens during Eiji's visit with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
2. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
3. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
4. How does Daimon help Eiji's search for his father?
5. How does Eiji's grandfather show that he approves of Eiji?
6. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
7. How does Eiji's relationship with Ai Imajo change in Chapter Five?
8. Why is Eiji's grandfather disappointed in Eiji's father?
9. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
10. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)