|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Eiji's grandfather pretend to be when he meets Eiji?
(a) Admiral Raizo, an old family friend.
(b) His grandfather's attorney.
(c) His grandfather's financial adviser.
(d) His grandfather's physician.
2. What is Eiji's fourth dream in Chapter Eight about?
(a) Anju and her death.
(b) His father and stepmother.
(c) John Lennon and his song #9 Dream.
(d) Yoko Ono.
3. When Eiji wakes up in a strange house after his night of terror with the yakuza, what childhood memory does it rekindle?
(a) Waking up in an orphanage.
(b) A memory of his grandmother's house.
(c) A memory of his mother's house.
(d) Moving from relative to relative after Anju's death.
4. Who offers Eiji a job at Nero's pizza?
(b) Mrs. Sasaki.
(c) Ai Imajo's roommate, Sachiko Sera.
(d) Ai Imajo.
5. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
(a) They beat him up and left him for dead.
(b) They made him a yakuza hit man.
(c) They killed him and sold his organs on the black market.
(d) They sold him to an American couple wanting a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
2. Who is Mrs. Comb?
3. Which of the following is not part of the story that Monkfish relates to Eiji?
4. In Chapter Six, who does Eiji phone with increasing frequency?
5. Why is Ogre not married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Eiji's grandfather disappointed in Eiji's father?
2. How does Daimon help Eiji's search for his father?
3. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
4. Describe Eiji's dream about John Lennon and Lennon's song "#9 Dream".
5. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
6. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
7. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
8. Who is Takara Tsukiyama, and how might he lead Eiji to Eiji's father?
9. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
10. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)