|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have the yakuza done to Mrs. Yamaya because of her attempts to use the information she has gathered about their activities?
(a) They have cut off her hand.
(b) They have taken her hostage.
(c) They have murdered her.
(d) They have blackmailed her.
2. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
(a) They sold him to an American couple wanting a child.
(b) They made him a yakuza hit man.
(c) They killed him and sold his organs on the black market.
(d) They beat him up and left him for dead.
3. What does Suga give Eiji before he leaves for his new job?
(a) A photo of himself.
(b) His finest computer virus.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A John Lennon DVD.
4. To whom did Eiji's guitar once belong?
(a) Eiji's mother.
(b) Eiji's father.
(d) Eiji's grandfather.
5. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
(d) Ai Imajo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Monkfish?
2. Who picks up Eiji as he is fleeing the exploding Cadillacs at the beginning of Chapter Five?
3. What kind of manager is Sachiko Sera at Nero's?
4. Whose address does Daimon fax to Eiji after his visit with Eiji?
5. Who is Goatwriter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Nero's delivery truck driver with whom Eiji rides in Chapter Eight alone in his life instead of married?
2. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
3. Why does Suga take a new job in Texas and what gift does he give Eiji upon departing for his new position?
4. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
5. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
6. How does Daimon help Eiji's search for his father?
7. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
8. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
9. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
10. Describe Eiji's dream about John Lennon and Lennon's song "#9 Dream".
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)