|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fact is Eiji surprised to learn about the identity of Mrs. Sasaki, his boss at Ueno Station?
(a) She is Buntaro's mother.
(b) She is his stepmother.
(c) She knows his father.
(d) She is one of his stepsisters.
2. What gives Ai Imajo's life meaning?
(a) Her family.
(c) Her job.
3. What strange things does Ai say are happening in Tokyo when she and Eiji talk by telephone at the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) The temperature has dropped noticeably.
(b) Pigeons are flying into buildings and cars.
(c) It is snowing in summer.
(d) The rain is yellow.
4. What is Subaru Tsukiyama's relationship to Eiji?
(a) He is Eiji's great-uncle, the brother of Eiji's grandfather.
(b) He is Eiji's grandfather.
(c) He is Eiji's half-brother.
(d) He is Eiji's father.
5. What does Ai Imajo tell Eiji in Chapter Eight that she saw him throw away before he left Tokyo to meet his mother?
(a) His karate DVDs.
(b) His cigarettes.
(c) His old, faded blue jeans.
(d) His old baseball cap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eiji's fourth dream in Chapter Eight about?
2. When his mother phones him, what does Eiji say to her?
3. Which of the following is not a reason Eiji's stepmother gives for why Eiji's father does not want to meet him?
4. What obstacle does Ai Imajo face in attaining her goal?
5. At the beginning of Chapter Six, where does Eiji go to meet his grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
2. Explain who Mrs. Yamaya is and describe her visit with Eiji.
3. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
4. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
5. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
6. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
7. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
8. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
9. In Chapter Seven, what plans does Eiji make with his mother?
10. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)