|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pithecanthropus?
(a) A customer in the Jupiter Cafe.
(b) Goatwriter's friend and a handyman in the book Eiji finds.
(c) A yakuza man.
(d) A customer in Buntaro's video store.
2. What is the real reason for Suga's drinking binge?
(a) The Holy Grail quest of hacking the Pentagon computer.
(b) The yakuza are after him.
(c) He misses Eiji.
(d) He is an alcoholic.
3. What is the surname of Eiji's father?
4. When Eiji wakes up from his initial dream in Chapter Eight, where does he find himself?
(a) In the cab of a truck.
(b) At his mother's clinic.
(c) At the Jupiter Cafe.
(d) In Ai Imajo's apartment.
5. What does Eiji think of his new job at Nero's Pizza in Chapter Seven?
(a) The hours are too long.
(b) The kitchen is hot and cramped, but the work is easy.
(c) He hates it.
(d) His coworkers are mean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji's grandfather loan Eiji?
2. Why is Ogre not married?
3. Where do Ai Imajo and Eiji have breakfast in Chapter Seven?
4. Who does Eiji fear will hunt him down once he awakens in the strange house?
5. In what does Subaru Tsukiyama find his life's meaning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
2. In Chapter Five, from whom does Eiji receive a postcard, and how does the card indicate a shift in the writer's attitude toward Eiji?
3. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
4. How does Eiji's grandfather show that he approves of Eiji?
5. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
6. In Chapter Seven, what plans does Eiji make with his mother?
7. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
8. Who is Takara Tsukiyama, and how might he lead Eiji to Eiji's father?
9. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
10. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)