|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Five, how much time has lapsed since Eiji first left his village to come to Tokyo in search of his father?
(a) A week.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) Two years.
2. What strange things does Ai say are happening in Tokyo when she and Eiji talk by telephone at the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) The temperature has dropped noticeably.
(b) Pigeons are flying into buildings and cars.
(c) The rain is yellow.
(d) It is snowing in summer.
3. What does Admiral Raizo say Eiji and his grandfather both want?
(a) A happy family life.
(c) The love of Eiji's father.
4. What was Subaru Tsukiyama's profession?
(a) He was a banker.
(b) He was the suicide pilot of a kaiten, or manned torpedo.
(c) He was a lawyer.
(d) He was a physician.
5. What is Subaru Tsukiyama's relationship to Eiji?
(a) He is Eiji's half-brother.
(b) He is Eiji's grandfather.
(c) He is Eiji's great-uncle, the brother of Eiji's grandfather.
(d) He is Eiji's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Six, what does Ai Imajo confide to Eiji?
2. Who picks up Eiji as he is fleeing the exploding Cadillacs at the beginning of Chapter Five?
3. When Buntaro visits Eiji in Chatper Five, who does he say has been looking for Eiji?
4. Where do Ai Imajo and Eiji have breakfast in Chapter Seven?
5. What does Eiji's grandfather loan Eiji?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
2. What does Mrs. Yamaya's letter in Chapter Seven reveal about her relationship with the yakuza?
3. Why does Suga take a new job in Texas and what gift does he give Eiji upon departing for his new position?
4. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
5. Describe Eiji's new job at Nero's pizza.
6. As he learns about Subaru Tsukiyama's life, what insights does Eiji begin to get about his own life?
7. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
8. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
9. Explain who Mrs. Yamaya is and describe her visit with Eiji.
10. Describe Eiji's dream about Mr. Aoyama.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)