|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does Eiji take after receiving the address from Daimon?
(a) He sends Buntaro to check out the address.
(b) He goes to the address in person.
(c) He writes the detecting asking for help locating his father.
(d) He hires a personal detective to go to the address.
2. Who is Goatwriter?
(a) A computer hacker at Ueno Station.
(b) A goat and lead character in the book Eiji finds and reads.
(c) Buntaro's brother.
(d) One of the yakuza men.
3. Where do Ai Imajo and Eiji have breakfast in Chapter Seven?
(a) The Jupiter Cafe.
(b) The Amadeus Tea Room.
(d) The PanOpticon Building.
4. In Chapter Five, how much time has lapsed since Eiji first left his village to come to Tokyo in search of his father?
(a) Two years.
(b) A week.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) A year.
5. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
(a) Eiji's father has embezzled money from his law firm.
(b) Eiji's father is disrespectful to his father.
(c) Eiji's father is an alcoholic.
(d) Eiji's father sold a 500-year-old family heirloom sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Eiji wakes up from his initial dream in Chapter Eight, where does he find himself?
2. Who is Mrs. Comb?
3. What happens in Tokyo at the end of the book?
4. Who is Pithecanthropus?
5. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
Short Essay Questions
1. As he learns about Subaru Tsukiyama's life, what insights does Eiji begin to get about his own life?
2. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
3. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
4. Why is the Nero's delivery truck driver with whom Eiji rides in Chapter Eight alone in his life instead of married?
5. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
6. Explain who Mrs. Yamaya is and describe her visit with Eiji.
7. How does Daimon help Eiji's search for his father?
8. How do Mrs. Sasaki and Buntaro become a substitute family for Eiji in Chapter Five?
9. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
10. What is the significance of Eiji's final dream about Anju in which Anju tells him to go away so he will not drown, too?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)