|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not a part of the daydream Eiji has in Chapter One while he's in the restroom?
(a) Akiko Kato meets a government minister at the theater.
(b) Eiji fights a samurai warrior.
(c) Eiji follows Akiko Kato to a theater.
(d) The minister at the theater is Eiji's father.
2. Who is Mr. Aoyama?
(a) Eiji's grandfather.
(b) Eiji's father.
(c) Eiji's soccer coach.
(d) Substationmaster of the Ueno Station lost-property office.
3. Why can't Eiji sleep at night in Chapter Two?
(a) His neighbors keep him awake with their noise.
(b) He suffers from migraines.
(c) He is too busy studying.
(d) He suffers from insomnia.
4. In Eiji's fantasy about Akiko Kato, what happens to the information he finds in her office?
(a) The ink it's printed with disappears when exposed to air.
(b) It is accidentally shredded.
(c) It's stolen from him before he can read it.
(d) It proves false and doesn't lead to his father.
5. Who does Eiji call Dowager and Donkey in Chapter One?
(a) His two supervisors.
(b) His two cousins.
(c) Two coworkers he hates.
(d) The two older, less attractive waitresses at the cafe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji have to do in exchange for information on his father?
2. What birthday does Eiji celebrate at the beginning of Chapter Three?
3. To whom does Eiji think the messages about "Father" refer?
4. Who does Eiji find waiting for him when he comes out of the noodle shop in Chapter Four?
5. Which of the following does not describe what happens to Daimon after the yakuza release him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How successful are Eiji's initial attempts to contact Akiko Kato?
2. What is the significance of the third person viewpoint in the scenes describing Eiji's first drug experience and his experience with Velvet?
3. How does Eiji escape death at the end of Chapter Four?
4. Who is Buntaro and what is Eiji's relationship with him like?
5. What factors make Eiji feel out of place in Tokyo?
6. What rumors has Anju overheard about her mother?
7. Who is Cat and what does Eiji's relationship with her indicate?
8. Who does Eiji initially think "father" is in Chapter Four, and who does "father" eventually turn out to be?
9. Who kidnaps Eiji in Chapter Four and why is Eiji kidnapped?
10. Why does Eiji think Miriam can lead him to his father and how does he pursue his father through her?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)