|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eiji find inside the file folder?
(a) A letter from his birth father.
(b) A bomb.
(c) A photo of his birth father and Akiko Kato.
(d) His birth certificate identifying his birth father.
2. What errand does the attractive waitress leave to do?
(a) Deliver lunches to customers.
(b) Deposit money in the bank.
(c) Buy coffee filters.
(d) Empty the trash.
3. Which of the following is not an element of Eiji's daydream in Chapter One once it begins to rain?
(a) Eiji must save the pretty waitress from a crocodile.
(b) It rains so hard the entire city of Tokyo is flooded.
(c) Eiji takes a boat to China.
(d) Eiji drowns, is cremated and Yoko Ono attends his funeral.
4. At the beginning of Chapter Four, in what predicament does Eiji find himself?
(a) He has been hit by a drunk driver.
(b) He's bankrupt.
(c) He is having a seizure.
(d) He's about to die.
5. What does Eiji do to the thunder god's statue when he is eleven-years-old?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Decapitates it with a rusty hacksaw.
(c) Prays to it and leaves offerings of food for it.
(d) Decks it with roses and carnations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets Eiji his job by arranging an interview for him with Mrs. Sasaki?
2. Why is it so important for Eiji to find the article he lost in the video arcade?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Daimon?
4. In Eiji's fantasy about Akiko Kato in Chapter One, with what does he escape her building?
5. In what city does the book open?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
2. Why is Eiji's grandfather disappointed in Eiji's father?
3. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
4. What information does Ryutaro Morino have about Eiji's father and how does he obtain it?
5. Why does Suga take a new job in Texas and what gift does he give Eiji upon departing for his new position?
6. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
7. How does Eiji finally get to meet his father, and how does he feel after the meeting?
8. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
9. Who is Takara Tsukiyama, and how might he lead Eiji to Eiji's father?
10. How does the video game Virtua Sapiens relate to Eiji's quest for his father?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)