|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Mr. Aoyama?
(a) He wears a gold stud earring in his ear.
(b) He is bald.
(c) He is paranoid and thinks Eiji is a consultant spying on him.
(d) He has a perfect Adolf Hitler mustache.
2. What is Eiji Miyake's quest?
(a) To find out who is planning to murder a politician.
(b) To find out who murdered his sister.
(c) To find the identity of his father.
(d) To find a hidden treasure.
3. What is the source of Daimon's money?
(a) His father's position.
(b) A winning lottery ticket.
(d) A trust fund.
4. Which of the following statements is not part of the fantasy Eiji tells Anju about the whalestone, a giant rock that emerges from the sea?
(a) If you swim to it, it will take you anywhere you want to go.
(b) A mermaid lives under it.
(c) It was a real whale the thunder god turned into stone.
(d) The stone is magical.
5. What happens when Eiji asks for the file folder about his father?
(a) The yakuza burn it.
(b) The yakuza break his arm.
(c) It is given to him.
(d) He's told to leave before he's beaten senseless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal?
2. What happens to Anju when Eiji has to leave her to go on an overnight trip with his soccer team?
3. What interrupts Eiji's playing of the video game Virtua Sapiens?
4. Where does Eiji begin receiving messages that "Father" is watching him and will see him soon?
5. Why have Daimon and Eiji been kidnapped?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to Eiji's twin sister, Anju, shortly after the twins turn eleven and how Eiji is affected by the incident.
2. What factors make Eiji feel out of place in Tokyo?
3. Why does Eiji think Miriam can lead him to his father and how does he pursue his father through her?
4. Why does Eiji engage in so much fantasy and daydreaming?
5. Who is Buntaro and what is Eiji's relationship with him like?
6. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
7. Who kidnaps Eiji in Chapter Four and why is Eiji kidnapped?
8. Describe Eiji's habit of nicknaming people.
9. Why does the structure of Chapter One switch back and forth between fantasy and reality so often, making it difficult to tell the difference between the two?
10. Describe the strange messages Eiji receives while using the ATM.
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)