|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following people is not involved in the yakuza war?
(b) Konosuke Tsuru, the elderly and sick old leader.
(c) Daimon's father, a corrupt police chief.
(d) Jun Nagasaki, the current top dog.
2. Who are Frankenstein and Lizard?
(a) The two yakuza men waiting in the Cadillac for Eiji.
(b) Two of Eiji's coworkers.
(c) Characters in a video game.
(d) Cartoon characters.
3. Instead of confronting Akiko, how does Eiji spend most of his afternoon in Chapter One?
(a) Gambling at the race track.
(b) Daydreaming and watching the cafe customers and staff.
(c) Drinking at a bar.
(d) Watching television.
4. Who saves Eiji's life at the end of Chapter Four when bombs explode, killing the warring yakuza factions?
(b) A double agent, working for Mr. Tsuru, the former boss.
5. Why is it so important for Eiji to find the article he lost in the video arcade?
(a) It was his last present from Anju.
(b) It has medicine he vitally needs in it.
(c) It has an important document hidden in it.
(d) He keeps his money in it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many waitresses does Eiji encounter in Chapter One?
2. What game do Daimon and Eiji play together?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Mr. Aoyama?
4. What does Eiji leave in the video arcade in Chapter Three?
5. What interrupts Eiji's playing of the video game Virtua Sapiens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
2. Who does Eiji initially think "father" is in Chapter Four, and who does "father" eventually turn out to be?
3. What information does Ryutaro Morino have about Eiji's father and how does he obtain it?
4. How does Eiji escape death at the end of Chapter Four?
5. How does the video game Virtua Sapiens relate to Eiji's quest for his father?
6. What factors make Eiji feel out of place in Tokyo?
7. Describe Eiji's coworkers at Ueno Station and his relationships with them.
8. Who is Buntaro and what is Eiji's relationship with him like?
9. Why does the structure of Chapter One switch back and forth between fantasy and reality so often, making it difficult to tell the difference between the two?
10. Describe the strange messages Eiji receives while using the ATM.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)