|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what locale does Eiji sit and daydream about meeting Akiko Kato?
(a) The PanOpticon Building.
(b) The Jupiter Cafe.
(c) A parking lot in downtown Tokyo.
(d) A riverside bar called The Paradise Grill.
2. At the beginning of Chapter One, how does Eiji hope he will meet Akiko Kato?
(a) He hopes he will meet Akiko at a dance.
(b) He hopes a friend will introduce them.
(c) He hopes he will meet Akiko on the bus ride home.
(d) He hopes she will come to the Jupiter Cafe for lunch.
3. Which of the following is not an element of Eiji's daydream in Chapter One once it begins to rain?
(a) Eiji must save the pretty waitress from a crocodile.
(b) Eiji takes a boat to China.
(c) Eiji drowns, is cremated and Yoko Ono attends his funeral.
(d) It rains so hard the entire city of Tokyo is flooded.
4. What does Eiji have to do in exchange for information on his father?
(a) Sign a blood oath promising one day's loyalty to Morino.
(b) Shoot Daimon.
(c) Rob a bank for the yakuza.
(d) Sell drugs for the yakuza.
5. What interrupts Eiji's playing of the video game Virtua Sapiens?
(a) A gang attacking him.
(b) The cafe being robbed.
(c) An angry man threatening the waitress with the perfect neck.
(d) Daimon and Miriam arguing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does the book open?
2. What kind of yakuza war is going on in Chapter Four?
3. When Eiji searches for the file folder about his father, who does he see playing the piano for the opening of another part of the entertainment complex where the yakuza are?
4. What does Eiji think about Anju's ability to swim to the whalestone?
5. Who claims to have a file folder about Eiji's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eiji's defense in Chapter Three of Ai Imajo, the waitress with the perfect neck at the Jupiter Cafe, affect his developing relationship with Ai?
2. Discuss Eiji's playing of video games in Chapter Three and what the video games symbolize.
3. Why does the structure of Chapter One switch back and forth between fantasy and reality so often, making it difficult to tell the difference between the two?
4. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
5. What does Eiji's fantasy about masquerading as an aquarium cleaner to meet Akako Kato reveal about his character?
6. What rumors has Anju overheard about her mother?
7. Describe what happens to Eiji's twin sister, Anju, shortly after the twins turn eleven and how Eiji is affected by the incident.
8. Who is Buntaro and what is Eiji's relationship with him like?
9. Describe the strange messages Eiji receives while using the ATM.
10. What information does Ryutaro Morino have about Eiji's father and how does he obtain it?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)