|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Wheatie?
(a) Eiji's landlord.
(b) Eiji's girlfriend.
(c) Anju and Eiji's mother.
(d) Anju and Eiji's grandmother.
2. What is the Queen of Spades?
(a) A boat Eiji wants to buy.
(b) A movie Eiji goes to see with Daimon.
(c) A gambling casino.
(d) An exclusive club to where Eiji and Daimon take their dates.
3. Who has kidnapped Daimon and Eiji?
(b) Jun Nagasaki.
(c) Ryutaro Morino.
(d) Konosuke Tsuru.
4. Who saves Eiji's life at the end of Chapter Four when bombs explode, killing the warring yakuza factions?
(d) A double agent, working for Mr. Tsuru, the former boss.
5. With whom does Eiji have his first sexual experience?
(a) With a prostitute.
(b) With Miriam.
(c) With the woman he calls Coffee.
(d) With the waitress with the perfect neck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji think about Anju's ability to swim to the whalestone?
2. Which of the following is not an element of Eiji's daydream in Chapter One once it begins to rain?
3. What does Eiji do to the thunder god's statue when he is eleven-years-old?
4. Who does Eiji call Dowager and Donkey in Chapter One?
5. What video game is Eiji playing at the beginning of Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the earthquake in Tokyo at the end of Number Nine Dream real or fantasy?
2. Describe Eiji's habit of nicknaming people.
3. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
4. Why does Eiji think Miriam can lead him to his father and how does he pursue his father through her?
5. How does Morino trick Eiji with his father's photo in Chapter Four?
6. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
7. How is the manuscript Eiji finds about Goatwriter an allegory for Eiji's own adventures?
8. Describe Eiji's dream about John Lennon and Lennon's song "#9 Dream".
9. Who meets Eiji at the Amadeus Tea Room instead of his grandfather on the day of his second meeting with the older man, and why does his grandfather not meet him then as planned?
10. What information does Eiji have about his father as he begins his quest?
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)