|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who warns Eiji to stay away from the Queen of Spades because it isn't an ordinary club?
(b) Ai Imajo.
2. Instead of confronting Akiko, how does Eiji spend most of his afternoon in Chapter One?
(a) Daydreaming and watching the cafe customers and staff.
(b) Gambling at the race track.
(c) Watching television.
(d) Drinking at a bar.
3. Which of the following people is not involved in the yakuza war?
(a) Konosuke Tsuru, the elderly and sick old leader.
(b) Daimon's father, a corrupt police chief.
(c) Jun Nagasaki, the current top dog.
4. What birthday does Eiji celebrate at the beginning of Chapter Three?
(a) His eighteenth birthday.
(b) His thirtieth birthday.
(c) His twentieth birthday.
(d) His twenty-fifth birthday.
5. Who gets Eiji his job by arranging an interview for him with Mrs. Sasaki?
(b) Mr. Aoyama.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eiji do what he does to the thunder god's statue when he is eleven?
2. What is the Queen of Spades?
3. With whom does Eiji have his first sexual experience?
4. When Eiji searches for the file folder about his father, who does he see playing the piano for the opening of another part of the entertainment complex where the yakuza are?
5. Which of Eiji's coworkers commits suicide when told he is being demoted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal, and how does it make him feel about contacting his mother again?
2. What information does Ryutaro Morino have about Eiji's father and how does he obtain it?
3. Why does Eiji engage in so much fantasy and daydreaming?
4. What is the significance of the third person viewpoint in the scenes describing Eiji's first drug experience and his experience with Velvet?
5. Who is Cat and what does Eiji's relationship with her indicate?
6. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
7. How does Eiji escape death at the end of Chapter Four?
8. Describe what happens to Eiji's twin sister, Anju, shortly after the twins turn eleven and how Eiji is affected by the incident.
9. What does Eiji's fantasy about masquerading as an aquarium cleaner to meet Akako Kato reveal about his character?
10. How successful are Eiji's initial attempts to contact Akiko Kato?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)