|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business does Buntaro own?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A bakery.
(c) A video store.
(d) A lawn care service.
2. To what does Daimon offer to treat Eiji?
(a) A baseball game.
(b) A day at the spa.
(c) A steak dinner.
(d) A few drinks.
3. At the beginning of Chapter One, how does Eiji hope he will meet Akiko Kato?
(a) He hopes a friend will introduce them.
(b) He hopes he will meet Akiko at a dance.
(c) He hopes she will come to the Jupiter Cafe for lunch.
(d) He hopes he will meet Akiko on the bus ride home.
4. In Eiji's fantasy about Akiko Kato, what happens to the information he finds in her office?
(a) It proves false and doesn't lead to his father.
(b) The ink it's printed with disappears when exposed to air.
(c) It's stolen from him before he can read it.
(d) It is accidentally shredded.
5. How does Ai Imajo suggest that Eiji search for his father in Tokyo?
(a) By seeing his mother and making her lead him to his father.
(b) By putting an ad in the newspaper's personal columns.
(c) By hiring a private detective.
(d) By going on television.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Velvet and Coffee?
2. In Eiji's fantasy about Akiko Kato in Chapter One, with what does he escape her building?
3. Which of the following statements is not a part of the daydream Eiji has in Chapter One while he's in the restroom?
4. What game do Daimon and Eiji play together?
5. With whom does Daimon seem to have tension at the Queen of Spades?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Eiji gets a new job in Chapter Six.
2. What secrets does Ai Imajo reveal about herself in Chapter Six, and what do her revelations indicate about her changing relationship with Eiji?
3. Explain who Mrs. Yamaya is and describe her visit with Eiji.
4. Why does the second truck driver Eiji rides with in Chapter Eight want to commit suicide and why does he change his mind?
5. How does Eiji's experience with Daimon on his twentieth birthday illustrate his naivety?
6. What factors make Eiji vulnerable to exploitation by Daimon?
7. Why does Eiji decapitate the statue of the thunder god in his village shrine?
8. How does Eiji's defense in Chapter Three of Ai Imajo, the waitress with the perfect neck at the Jupiter Cafe, affect his developing relationship with Ai?
9. How successful are Eiji's initial attempts to contact Akiko Kato?
10. Describe the disagreement between Ai and Eiji at the train station in Chapter Seven.
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)