|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Daimon?
(a) He is a native of Tokyo.
(b) He is a final-year law student.
(c) He is from Germany.
(d) He is a gifted pool player.
2. Why doesn't Eiji confront Akiko Kato in Chapter One as he daydreams of doing?
(a) He finds his father without her.
(b) He is waiting for the right moment.
(c) He finds a better source of information about his father.
(d) He is afraid to do so.
3. How does Ai Imajo suggest that Eiji search for his father in Tokyo?
(a) By hiring a private detective.
(b) By putting an ad in the newspaper's personal columns.
(c) By going on television.
(d) By seeing his mother and making her lead him to his father.
4. When Eiji searches for the file folder about his father, who does he see playing the piano for the opening of another part of the entertainment complex where the yakuza are?
(a) Ai Imajo.
5. Who claims to have a file folder about Eiji's father?
(a) Eiji's kidnapper.
(d) Jun Nagasaki.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji come to realize about the word "Father" in the strange messages he receives that Father is watching him?
2. What kind of yakuza war is going on in Chapter Four?
3. What is the Queen of Spades?
4. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal?
5. What happens when Eiji asks for the file folder about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Suga get drunk and how does his failure to succeed in his quest parallel Eiji's?
2. What factors make Eiji feel out of place in Tokyo?
3. How does the video game Virtua Sapiens relate to Eiji's quest for his father?
4. How does Eiji's experience with Daimon on his twentieth birthday illustrate his naivety?
5. Describe Eiji's habit of nicknaming people.
6. How does Eiji's defense in Chapter Three of Ai Imajo, the waitress with the perfect neck at the Jupiter Cafe, affect his developing relationship with Ai?
7. Why does the structure of Chapter One switch back and forth between fantasy and reality so often, making it difficult to tell the difference between the two?
8. What is the yakuza and how is Daimon tied to the organization?
9. Who is Subaru Tsukiyama and what is his relationship to Eiji?
10. Describe Eiji's coworkers at Ueno Station and his relationships with them.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)