|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Daimon come to visit Eiji in Chapter Five?
(a) To kill Eiji.
(b) To warn Eiji to stay away from Miriam.
(c) To thank Eiji for saving his life and to apologize.
(d) To tell Eiji he has found Eiji's father.
2. In Chapter Five, how much time has lapsed since Eiji first left his village to come to Tokyo in search of his father?
(a) A year.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) Two years.
(d) A week.
3. Who is Goatwriter?
(a) Buntaro's brother.
(b) A goat and lead character in the book Eiji finds and reads.
(c) A computer hacker at Ueno Station.
(d) One of the yakuza men.
4. What does Suga succeed in doing in Chapter Seven?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Getting a new girlfriend.
(c) Hacking the Pentagon computer, his Holy Grail.
(d) Getting a raise.
5. What was Subaru Tsukiyama's profession?
(a) He was the suicide pilot of a kaiten, or manned torpedo.
(b) He was a physician.
(c) He was a lawyer.
(d) He was a banker.
6. What does Ai Imajo offer to buy Eiji when they meet for breakfast in Chapter Seven?
(b) A new baseball cap.
(c) A new cat.
(d) Tickets to a baseball game.
7. When Eiji asks Buntaro what he can do to cover his rent now that he is no longer working at Ueno Station, what does Buntaro propose?
(a) That Eiji get a loan from his bank to pay the rent.
(b) That Eiji not worry about rent until he finds a new job.
(c) That Eiji run the video store while Buntaro goes on vacation.
(d) That Eiji find a new place to live.
8. In Chapter Seven, where is Suga going to take a new job?
(b) New York.
9. Who does Ai Imajo urge Eiji to meet?
(a) His half-sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His stepmother.
(d) His father.
10. Who does Eiji's grandfather pretend to be when he meets Eiji?
(a) His grandfather's physician.
(b) Admiral Raizo, an old family friend.
(c) His grandfather's attorney.
(d) His grandfather's financial adviser.
11. What is Eiji's mother doing when he arrives at her clinic?
(b) Having a birthday party.
(c) Eating lunch.
12. Who offers Eiji a job at Nero's pizza?
(a) Ai Imajo.
(b) Mrs. Sasaki.
(d) Ai Imajo's roommate, Sachiko Sera.
13. Who is Pithecanthropus?
(a) Goatwriter's friend and a handyman in the book Eiji finds.
(b) A customer in the Jupiter Cafe.
(c) A yakuza man.
(d) A customer in Buntaro's video store.
14. Why doesn't Eiji take a cigarette when Ogre offers him one?
(a) He doesn't like Ogre.
(b) He has promised AI Imajo he will stop smoking.
(c) He fears Ogre has germs.
(d) He is allergic to cigarettes.
15. What kind of manager is Sachiko Sera at Nero's?
(a) An abusive manager.
(b) A kind and capable manager.
(c) A demanding manager.
(d) An unkind and unfair manager.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Mrs. Yamaya not been able to get the authorities to make use of the data she has gathered about the yakuza?
2. What strange things does Ai say are happening in Tokyo when she and Eiji talk by telephone at the end of Chapter Eight?
3. Whose address does Daimon fax to Eiji after his visit with Eiji?
4. How long after his meeting with Admiral Raizo is Eiji supposed to meet his grandfather?
5. In Eiji's dream at the beginning of Chapter Eight, who is grown-up in the dream?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)