|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Six, who does Eiji phone with increasing frequency?
(d) Ai Imajo.
2. What does Suga give Eiji before he leaves for his new job?
(a) A John Lennon DVD.
(b) His finest computer virus.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A photo of himself.
3. In Chapter Five, who faxes Eiji a message that he is coming to visit at six o'clock?
(c) Eiji's father.
4. When Eiji wakes up from his initial dream in Chapter Eight, where does he find himself?
(a) At his mother's clinic.
(b) At the Jupiter Cafe.
(c) In Ai Imajo's apartment.
(d) In the cab of a truck.
5. Which of the following is not a reason Eiji's stepmother gives for why Eiji's father does not want to meet him?
(a) His father is ashamed of Eiji's illegitimacy.
(b) His father considers Eiji a reminder of his worst mistake.
(c) His father wants to preserve his privacy.
(d) Eiji's father is ill and in the hospital.
6. What does Suga succeed in doing in Chapter Seven?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Getting a new girlfriend.
(c) Getting a raise.
(d) Hacking the Pentagon computer, his Holy Grail.
7. What does Eiji think of his new job at Nero's Pizza in Chapter Seven?
(a) The hours are too long.
(b) He hates it.
(c) The kitchen is hot and cramped, but the work is easy.
(d) His coworkers are mean.
8. What happens during Eiji's visit with his mother?
(a) Eiji's mother runs away from him.
(b) Eiji and his mother blame each other for Anju's death.
(c) Eiji and his mother argue loudly.
(d) Eiji and his mother agree to try and start over.
9. Which of the following does not describe what Eiji finds when he finally meets his father?
(a) His father orders a pizza which Eiji delivers.
(b) Eiji leaves without revealing who he is.
(c) Eiji's father hugs him and arranges to meet him regularly.
(d) His father argues via telephone with his stepmother.
10. Who picks up Eiji as he is fleeing the exploding Cadillacs at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(b) Mr. Tsuru.
(c) Ryutaro Morino.
11. Who is Mrs. Yamaya?
(a) Morino's detective, who compiled the file on Eiji's father.
(b) Eiji's stepmother.
(c) A prospective employer for Eiji.
(d) Eiji's stepsister.
12. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
(a) Eiji's father is an alcoholic.
(b) Eiji's father has embezzled money from his law firm.
(c) Eiji's father is disrespectful to his father.
(d) Eiji's father sold a 500-year-old family heirloom sword.
13. Who does Eiji fear will hunt him down once he awakens in the strange house?
(a) His stepmother.
(b) The police and/or the yakuza.
(c) His mother.
14. In what does Subaru Tsukiyama find his life's meaning?
(a) In raising his three children.
(b) In charity work to help the poor.
(c) In volunteering to sacrifice his life for his country.
(d) In his work as a medical doctor.
15. When Eiji asks Buntaro what he can do to cover his rent now that he is no longer working at Ueno Station, what does Buntaro propose?
(a) That Eiji not worry about rent until he finds a new job.
(b) That Eiji find a new place to live.
(c) That Eiji get a loan from his bank to pay the rent.
(d) That Eiji run the video store while Buntaro goes on vacation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe the unfamiliar house in which Eiji awakens at the beginning of Chapter Five?
2. At the beginning of Chapter Six, where does Eiji go to meet his grandfather?
3. Who sends Eiji a postcard in Chapter Five?
4. Why doesn't Eiji take a cigarette when Ogre offers him one?
5. In Chapter Five, how much time has lapsed since Eiji first left his village to come to Tokyo in search of his father?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)