|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a way the yakuza trick Eiji in Chapter Seven?
(a) The message gives a time and place to meet his father.
(b) The message says his father wants to see him.
(c) They leave him a message supposedly from his father.
(d) They use Daimon to get Eiji to their meeting place.
2. In Eiji's dream at the beginning of Chapter Eight, who is grown-up in the dream?
(a) Yuki Chiyo.
3. Why does Eiji miss his six o'clock visitor?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He hides out in the secret room.
(c) The visitor breaks in and remains quiet to not be detected.
(d) He is drugged.
4. What is Eiji's fourth dream in Chapter Eight about?
(a) Yoko Ono.
(b) Anju and her death.
(c) John Lennon and his song #9 Dream.
(d) His father and stepmother.
5. What was Subaru Tsukiyama's profession?
(a) He was a banker.
(b) He was a physician.
(c) He was the suicide pilot of a kaiten, or manned torpedo.
(d) He was a lawyer.
6. In Chapter Six, what tale does Suga give as the reason for his emotional distress when he shows up drunk one night while Eiji is working?
(a) A job loss.
(b) A car accident in which a young boy was killed.
(c) A financial loss.
(d) A breakup with his girlfriend.
7. When Eiji wakes up from his initial dream in Chapter Eight, where does he find himself?
(a) In the cab of a truck.
(b) At the Jupiter Cafe.
(c) In Ai Imajo's apartment.
(d) At his mother's clinic.
8. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
(a) They killed him and sold his organs on the black market.
(b) They sold him to an American couple wanting a child.
(c) They made him a yakuza hit man.
(d) They beat him up and left him for dead.
9. Who is Goatwriter?
(a) One of the yakuza men.
(b) A goat and lead character in the book Eiji finds and reads.
(c) Buntaro's brother.
(d) A computer hacker at Ueno Station.
10. As he reflects on Anju's death and what gives his life meaning, what does Eiji begin to think about his search for his father?
(a) He should increase his devotion to his quest.
(b) It might not be as important as he has previously believed.
(c) It is what gives his life meaning.
(d) He should give up his quest.
11. To whom did Eiji's guitar once belong?
(a) Eiji's grandfather.
(c) Eiji's mother.
(d) Eiji's father.
12. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
(a) The yakuza or police might be looking for him there.
(b) She has a better job for him elsewhere.
(c) They closed the station after Mr. Aoyama's suicide.
(d) He has been fired.
13. Who does Ai Imajo urge Eiji to meet?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His half-sister.
(d) His stepmother.
14. What is Eiji's mother doing when he arrives at her clinic?
(b) Eating lunch.
(c) Having a birthday party.
15. What strange things does Ai say are happening in Tokyo when she and Eiji talk by telephone at the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) It is snowing in summer.
(b) The rain is yellow.
(c) Pigeons are flying into buildings and cars.
(d) The temperature has dropped noticeably.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the person in Eiji's third dream say Anju is not dead?
2. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
3. Who does Eiji fear will hunt him down once he awakens in the strange house?
4. Who is Monkfish?
5. What have the pregnant woman in Chapter Six and her husband decided to name their coming baby?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)