|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Six, who does Eiji phone with increasing frequency?
(d) Ai Imajo.
2. Who is expecting a baby in Chapter Six?
(b) Buntaro's wife.
(c) Eiji's mother.
(d) Mrs. Sasaki.
3. Who does Ai Imajo urge Eiji to meet?
(a) His half-sister.
(b) His stepmother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
4. What does Ai Imajo tell Eiji in Chapter Eight that she saw him throw away before he left Tokyo to meet his mother?
(a) His cigarettes.
(b) His old, faded blue jeans.
(c) His old baseball cap.
(d) His karate DVDs.
5. How long after his meeting with Admiral Raizo is Eiji supposed to meet his grandfather?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Six weeks.
6. What does Ai Imajo offer to buy Eiji when they meet for breakfast in Chapter Seven?
(a) A new baseball cap.
(b) A new cat.
(c) Tickets to a baseball game.
7. Who picks up Eiji as he is fleeing the exploding Cadillacs at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) Ryutaro Morino.
(c) Mr. Tsuru.
8. Which of the following statements does not describe something Daimon reveals during his visit with Eiji in Chapter Five?
(a) Daimon and Miriam are going to disappear for a while.
(b) Daimon says the yakuza are no longer searching for him.
(c) Daimon promises to try to help Eiji find his father.
(d) Daimon is now married to Miriam.
9. Which of the following is not a reason Eiji's stepmother gives for why Eiji's father does not want to meet him?
(a) His father wants to preserve his privacy.
(b) His father is ashamed of Eiji's illegitimacy.
(c) His father considers Eiji a reminder of his worst mistake.
(d) Eiji's father is ill and in the hospital.
10. Who is Mrs. Comb?
(a) A hen & Goatwriter's maid in the book Eiji finds and reads.
(b) The owner of the unfamiliar house in which Eiji finds himself.
(c) Eiji's stepsister.
(d) Eiji's stepmother.
11. What is Subaru Tsukiyama's relationship to Eiji?
(a) He is Eiji's half-brother.
(b) He is Eiji's father.
(c) He is Eiji's grandfather.
(d) He is Eiji's great-uncle, the brother of Eiji's grandfather.
12. Which of the following statements does not describe the unfamiliar house in which Eiji awakens at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) It has no tv.
(b) A big black dog lives in it.
(c) It has no telephone.
(d) It is well-furnished and old fashioned.
13. Why is Ogre not married?
(a) He fears a wife would spend all his money.
(b) He prefers not to commit himself to marriage.
(c) He sleepwalks and acts out his dreams while doing so.
(d) The woman he loved died and he never got over her.
14. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
(a) Eiji's father sold a 500-year-old family heirloom sword.
(b) Eiji's father is an alcoholic.
(c) Eiji's father is disrespectful to his father.
(d) Eiji's father has embezzled money from his law firm.
15. Who responds to Eiji's personal ad in the newspaper?
(a) A man who thinks Eiji may be his son.
(b) A woman who says she knows Eiji's father.
(c) A man who thinks Eiji may be his grandson.
(d) A woman who thinks Eiji may be her stepbrother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Five, how much time has lapsed since Eiji first left his village to come to Tokyo in search of his father?
2. Why does Daimon come to visit Eiji in Chapter Five?
3. Who does Eiji fear will hunt him down once he awakens in the strange house?
4. What have the pregnant woman in Chapter Six and her husband decided to name their coming baby?
5. In Chapter Seven, where is Suga going to take a new job?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)