|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe how Eiji sabotages the yakuza at the end of Chapter Seven?
(a) He uses Suga's computer virus.
(b) He bombs Mr. Tsuru's car.
(c) He attaches Mrs. Yamaya's data on the yakuza to the virus.
(d) He sends Mrs. Yamaya's data to theTokyo police.
2. Whose address does Daimon fax to Eiji after his visit with Eiji?
(a) The detective that compiled Morino's file on Eiji's father.
(b) Eiji's father.
(c) Eiji's mother.
(d) Mr. Tsuru.
3. Which of the following is not a way the yakuza trick Eiji in Chapter Seven?
(a) They use Daimon to get Eiji to their meeting place.
(b) The message gives a time and place to meet his father.
(c) They leave him a message supposedly from his father.
(d) The message says his father wants to see him.
4. What was Subaru Tsukiyama's profession?
(a) He was a banker.
(b) He was the suicide pilot of a kaiten, or manned torpedo.
(c) He was a physician.
(d) He was a lawyer.
5. What does Ai Imajo offer to buy Eiji when they meet for breakfast in Chapter Seven?
(b) A new cat.
(c) A new baseball cap.
(d) Tickets to a baseball game.
6. How long after his meeting with Admiral Raizo is Eiji supposed to meet his grandfather?
(a) Seven days.
(b) One year.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) One month.
7. What does Eiji find in the secret room of the unfamiliar house?
(a) Mrs. Sasaki's old love letters.
(b) A dead body.
(c) A gun.
(d) A book manuscript written by Mrs. Sasaki's sister.
8. To whom did Eiji's guitar once belong?
(a) Eiji's grandfather.
(c) Eiji's mother.
(d) Eiji's father.
9. Why doesn't Eiji's grandfather meet him?
(a) His grandfather is in the hospital.
(b) His grandfather wants his attorney to send Eiji away.
(c) His grandfather has died.
(d) His grandfather has disowned him.
10. What is the real reason for Suga's drinking binge?
(a) The Holy Grail quest of hacking the Pentagon computer.
(b) He is an alcoholic.
(c) He misses Eiji.
(d) The yakuza are after him.
11. What happens in Tokyo at the end of the book?
(a) A fire.
(b) The Olympic games are held there.
(c) A flood.
(d) An earthquake.
12. As he reflects on Anju's death and what gives his life meaning, what does Eiji begin to think about his search for his father?
(a) He should give up his quest.
(b) It is what gives his life meaning.
(c) He should increase his devotion to his quest.
(d) It might not be as important as he has previously believed.
13. Why is Ogre not married?
(a) He prefers not to commit himself to marriage.
(b) He sleepwalks and acts out his dreams while doing so.
(c) He fears a wife would spend all his money.
(d) The woman he loved died and he never got over her.
14. Who is Eiji's second dream in Chapter Eight about?
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His stepmother.
15. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
(a) They closed the station after Mr. Aoyama's suicide.
(b) The yakuza or police might be looking for him there.
(c) She has a better job for him elsewhere.
(d) He has been fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Suga succeed in doing in Chapter Seven?
2. What gives Ai Imajo's life meaning?
3. Who is Pithecanthropus?
4. What strange things does Ai say are happening in Tokyo when she and Eiji talk by telephone at the end of Chapter Eight?
5. When Eiji asks Buntaro what he can do to cover his rent now that he is no longer working at Ueno Station, what does Buntaro propose?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)