|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Eiji's fourth dream in Chapter Eight about?
(a) His father and stepmother.
(b) Anju and her death.
(c) John Lennon and his song #9 Dream.
(d) Yoko Ono.
2. What action does Eiji take after receiving the address from Daimon?
(a) He sends Buntaro to check out the address.
(b) He hires a personal detective to go to the address.
(c) He goes to the address in person.
(d) He writes the detecting asking for help locating his father.
3. When Eiji asks Buntaro what he can do to cover his rent now that he is no longer working at Ueno Station, what does Buntaro propose?
(a) That Eiji not worry about rent until he finds a new job.
(b) That Eiji get a loan from his bank to pay the rent.
(c) That Eiji find a new place to live.
(d) That Eiji run the video store while Buntaro goes on vacation.
4. When his mother phones him, what does Eiji say to her?
(a) That he never wants to hear from her again.
(b) That she is crazy and needs therapy.
(c) That he wants to come see her.
(d) That she is responsible for Anju's death.
5. Who is Mrs. Yamaya?
(a) Eiji's stepsister.
(b) A prospective employer for Eiji.
(c) Morino's detective, who compiled the file on Eiji's father.
(d) Eiji's stepmother.
6. In Chapter Six, what tale does Suga give as the reason for his emotional distress when he shows up drunk one night while Eiji is working?
(a) A job loss.
(b) A breakup with his girlfriend.
(c) A car accident in which a young boy was killed.
(d) A financial loss.
7. Which of the following is not a reason Eiji's stepmother gives for why Eiji's father does not want to meet him?
(a) His father wants to preserve his privacy.
(b) His father considers Eiji a reminder of his worst mistake.
(c) His father is ashamed of Eiji's illegitimacy.
(d) Eiji's father is ill and in the hospital.
8. What does Eiji think of his new job at Nero's Pizza in Chapter Seven?
(a) The hours are too long.
(b) The kitchen is hot and cramped, but the work is easy.
(c) He hates it.
(d) His coworkers are mean.
9. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
(a) They closed the station after Mr. Aoyama's suicide.
(b) She has a better job for him elsewhere.
(c) The yakuza or police might be looking for him there.
(d) He has been fired.
10. Who picks up Eiji as he is fleeing the exploding Cadillacs at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) Ryutaro Morino.
(d) Mr. Tsuru.
11. Which of the following does not describe what Eiji finds when he finally meets his father?
(a) His father orders a pizza which Eiji delivers.
(b) His father argues via telephone with his stepmother.
(c) Eiji's father hugs him and arranges to meet him regularly.
(d) Eiji leaves without revealing who he is.
12. What have the yakuza done to Mrs. Yamaya because of her attempts to use the information she has gathered about their activities?
(a) They have blackmailed her.
(b) They have cut off her hand.
(c) They have murdered her.
(d) They have taken her hostage.
13. What does Eiji's grandfather loan Eiji?
(a) A family photo album.
(c) His most prized possession, his dead brother's journal.
(d) A car.
14. When Eiji wakes up in a strange house after his night of terror with the yakuza, what childhood memory does it rekindle?
(a) A memory of his grandmother's house.
(b) A memory of his mother's house.
(c) Moving from relative to relative after Anju's death.
(d) Waking up in an orphanage.
15. Why does the person in Eiji's third dream say Anju is not dead?
(a) Because life is eternal.
(b) Because her death was a dream.
(c) Because Eiji won't let her die.
(d) Because she was kidnapped.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eiji's grandfather pretend to be when he meets Eiji?
2. What is Ai Imajo's educational goal?
3. To whom did Eiji's guitar once belong?
4. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
5. What is the surname of Eiji's father?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)