|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Eiji's fourth dream in Chapter Eight about?
(a) Anju and her death.
(b) Yoko Ono.
(c) His father and stepmother.
(d) John Lennon and his song #9 Dream.
2. Why does the person in Eiji's third dream say Anju is not dead?
(a) Because Eiji won't let her die.
(b) Because she was kidnapped.
(c) Because life is eternal.
(d) Because her death was a dream.
3. Who is Mrs. Yamaya?
(a) A prospective employer for Eiji.
(b) Morino's detective, who compiled the file on Eiji's father.
(c) Eiji's stepsister.
(d) Eiji's stepmother.
4. What was Subaru Tsukiyama's profession?
(a) He was a lawyer.
(b) He was the suicide pilot of a kaiten, or manned torpedo.
(c) He was a banker.
(d) He was a physician.
5. Where do Ai Imajo and Eiji have breakfast in Chapter Seven?
(a) The Jupiter Cafe.
(b) The Amadeus Tea Room.
(c) The PanOpticon Building.
6. What does Eiji find in the secret room of the unfamiliar house?
(a) Mrs. Sasaki's old love letters.
(b) A gun.
(c) A book manuscript written by Mrs. Sasaki's sister.
(d) A dead body.
7. In Chapter Six, who does Eiji phone with increasing frequency?
(b) Ai Imajo.
8. Which of the following does not describe how Eiji sabotages the yakuza at the end of Chapter Seven?
(a) He sends Mrs. Yamaya's data to theTokyo police.
(b) He uses Suga's computer virus.
(c) He attaches Mrs. Yamaya's data on the yakuza to the virus.
(d) He bombs Mr. Tsuru's car.
9. What is the surname of Eiji's father?
10. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
(a) Eiji's father is disrespectful to his father.
(b) Eiji's father sold a 500-year-old family heirloom sword.
(c) Eiji's father has embezzled money from his law firm.
(d) Eiji's father is an alcoholic.
11. Who meets Eiji when he is expecting to meet his grandfather instead?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandfather's attorney.
(c) His father.
(d) His stepmother and half-sister.
12. When Eiji wakes up in a strange house after his night of terror with the yakuza, what childhood memory does it rekindle?
(a) Moving from relative to relative after Anju's death.
(b) A memory of his grandmother's house.
(c) Waking up in an orphanage.
(d) A memory of his mother's house.
13. What strange things does Ai say are happening in Tokyo when she and Eiji talk by telephone at the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) Pigeons are flying into buildings and cars.
(b) It is snowing in summer.
(c) The rain is yellow.
(d) The temperature has dropped noticeably.
14. What is Ai Imajo's educational goal?
(a) To get a law degree.
(b) To become an accountant.
(c) To go to medical school.
(d) To attend a prestigious school in Paris to study music.
15. Which of the following is not part of the story that Monkfish relates to Eiji?
(a) Monkfish loved a girl whose family disapproved of him.
(b) Monkfish killed his ex-girlfriend.
(c) Monkfish dreamed his lover killed herself.
(d) Monkfish wanted to kill himself over his love.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Subaru Tsukiyama find his life's meaning?
2. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
3. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
4. Which of the following is not a reason Eiji's stepmother gives for why Eiji's father does not want to meet him?
5. In Chapter Six, what does Ai Imajo confide to Eiji?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)