|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Eiji asks Buntaro what he can do to cover his rent now that he is no longer working at Ueno Station, what does Buntaro propose?
(a) That Eiji find a new place to live.
(b) That Eiji run the video store while Buntaro goes on vacation.
(c) That Eiji not worry about rent until he finds a new job.
(d) That Eiji get a loan from his bank to pay the rent.
2. Why has Mrs. Yamaya not been able to get the authorities to make use of the data she has gathered about the yakuza?
(a) The yakuza own the police and politicians.
(b) She is in hiding.
(c) The data is hidden in a place guarded by the yakuza.
(d) The yakuza are blackmailing her.
3. In Chapter Five, how much time has lapsed since Eiji first left his village to come to Tokyo in search of his father?
(a) Two years.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) A week.
4. What does Ai Imajo tell Eiji in Chapter Eight that she saw him throw away before he left Tokyo to meet his mother?
(a) His karate DVDs.
(b) His old, faded blue jeans.
(c) His old baseball cap.
(d) His cigarettes.
5. What does Eiji's grandfather loan Eiji?
(b) A family photo album.
(c) A car.
(d) His most prized possession, his dead brother's journal.
6. What is the real reason for Suga's drinking binge?
(a) The yakuza are after him.
(b) He is an alcoholic.
(c) The Holy Grail quest of hacking the Pentagon computer.
(d) He misses Eiji.
7. Who is Eiji's third dream in Chapter Eight about?
(a) Eiji's grandfather.
(b) Eiji's mother.
(c) Eiji's father.
(d) Mr. Aoyama, the Ueno Station boss who killed himself.
8. Who is Ogre?
(a) A coworker at Nero's.
(b) Eiji's cousin.
(c) The driver of the truck in which Eiji is riding.
(d) A yakuza assassin.
9. Why does the person in Eiji's third dream say Anju is not dead?
(a) Because she was kidnapped.
(b) Because her death was a dream.
(c) Because life is eternal.
(d) Because Eiji won't let her die.
10. What does Eiji find in the secret room of the unfamiliar house?
(a) Mrs. Sasaki's old love letters.
(b) A book manuscript written by Mrs. Sasaki's sister.
(c) A gun.
(d) A dead body.
11. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya?
(a) They made her sell drugs for them.
(b) They made her an assassin.
(c) They made her a slave because of her husband's debts.
(d) They made her steal for them.
12. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
(a) Eiji's father is an alcoholic.
(b) Eiji's father is disrespectful to his father.
(c) Eiji's father sold a 500-year-old family heirloom sword.
(d) Eiji's father has embezzled money from his law firm.
13. Why is Ogre not married?
(a) He sleepwalks and acts out his dreams while doing so.
(b) He fears a wife would spend all his money.
(c) He prefers not to commit himself to marriage.
(d) The woman he loved died and he never got over her.
14. How long after his meeting with Admiral Raizo is Eiji supposed to meet his grandfather?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Seven days.
(d) One month.
15. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
(a) He has been fired.
(b) They closed the station after Mr. Aoyama's suicide.
(c) The yakuza or police might be looking for him there.
(d) She has a better job for him elsewhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose address does Daimon fax to Eiji after his visit with Eiji?
2. Which of the following is not a reason Mrs. Yamaya has sent information about yakuza activities to Eiji?
3. What strange things does Ai say are happening in Tokyo when she and Eiji talk by telephone at the end of Chapter Eight?
4. What obstacle does Ai Imajo face in attaining her goal?
5. Who responds to Eiji's personal ad in the newspaper?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)