|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
(b) Ai Imajo.
2. What happens during Eiji's visit with his mother?
(a) Eiji and his mother argue loudly.
(b) Eiji's mother runs away from him.
(c) Eiji and his mother blame each other for Anju's death.
(d) Eiji and his mother agree to try and start over.
3. What does Suga give Eiji before he leaves for his new job?
(a) A gold watch.
(b) A John Lennon DVD.
(c) His finest computer virus.
(d) A photo of himself.
4. What does Suga succeed in doing in Chapter Seven?
(a) Getting a new girlfriend.
(b) Getting married.
(c) Getting a raise.
(d) Hacking the Pentagon computer, his Holy Grail.
5. What is Eiji's mother doing when he arrives at her clinic?
(a) Eating lunch.
(c) Having a birthday party.
6. What is the real reason for Suga's drinking binge?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) The Holy Grail quest of hacking the Pentagon computer.
(c) The yakuza are after him.
(d) He misses Eiji.
7. Which of the following is not part of the story that Monkfish relates to Eiji?
(a) Monkfish wanted to kill himself over his love.
(b) Monkfish loved a girl whose family disapproved of him.
(c) Monkfish killed his ex-girlfriend.
(d) Monkfish dreamed his lover killed herself.
8. In what does Subaru Tsukiyama find his life's meaning?
(a) In charity work to help the poor.
(b) In raising his three children.
(c) In volunteering to sacrifice his life for his country.
(d) In his work as a medical doctor.
9. To whom did Eiji's guitar once belong?
(a) Eiji's mother.
(b) Eiji's father.
(c) Eiji's grandfather.
10. As he reflects on Anju's death and what gives his life meaning, what does Eiji begin to think about his search for his father?
(a) It might not be as important as he has previously believed.
(b) It is what gives his life meaning.
(c) He should give up his quest.
(d) He should increase his devotion to his quest.
11. Who is Mrs. Comb?
(a) Eiji's stepsister.
(b) Eiji's stepmother.
(c) A hen & Goatwriter's maid in the book Eiji finds and reads.
(d) The owner of the unfamiliar house in which Eiji finds himself.
12. Who sets Eiji free from the yakuza and saves his life in Chapter Seven?
(a) Mr. Tsuru.
(d) Mama-san, the new head of the organization.
13. In Chapter Six, what tale does Suga give as the reason for his emotional distress when he shows up drunk one night while Eiji is working?
(a) A job loss.
(b) A financial loss.
(c) A car accident in which a young boy was killed.
(d) A breakup with his girlfriend.
14. At the beginning of Chapter Six, where does Eiji go to meet his grandfather?
(a) His grandfather's home in Tokyo.
(b) The Amadeus Tea Room.
(c) The Jupiter Cafe.
(d) The PanOpticon.
15. Who responds to Eiji's personal ad in the newspaper?
(a) A woman who thinks Eiji may be her stepbrother.
(b) A man who thinks Eiji may be his son.
(c) A woman who says she knows Eiji's father.
(d) A man who thinks Eiji may be his grandson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Goatwriter?
2. What have the yakuza done to Mrs. Yamaya because of her attempts to use the information she has gathered about their activities?
3. In Eiji's dream at the beginning of Chapter Eight, who is grown-up in the dream?
4. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya?
5. What fact is Eiji surprised to learn about the identity of Mrs. Sasaki, his boss at Ueno Station?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)