|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What obstacle does Ai Imajo face in attaining her goal?
(a) She doesn't have good grades.
(b) She has a learning disability.
(c) She can't afford it.
(d) Her father doesn't want her to go to the Paris school.
2. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
(a) Ai Imajo.
3. What does Suga succeed in doing in Chapter Seven?
(a) Getting a new girlfriend.
(b) Hacking the Pentagon computer, his Holy Grail.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Getting a raise.
4. When Eiji wakes up in a strange house after his night of terror with the yakuza, what childhood memory does it rekindle?
(a) A memory of his mother's house.
(b) Waking up in an orphanage.
(c) A memory of his grandmother's house.
(d) Moving from relative to relative after Anju's death.
5. Who is Monkfish?
(a) Ai Imajo's brother.
(b) The driver of the second truck in which Eiji rides.
(c) The boyfriend of Eiji's mother.
(d) Buntaro's brother.
6. Which of the following is not a way the yakuza trick Eiji in Chapter Seven?
(a) They leave him a message supposedly from his father.
(b) The message gives a time and place to meet his father.
(c) The message says his father wants to see him.
(d) They use Daimon to get Eiji to their meeting place.
7. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
(a) They made him a yakuza hit man.
(b) They sold him to an American couple wanting a child.
(c) They beat him up and left him for dead.
(d) They killed him and sold his organs on the black market.
8. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
(a) Eiji's father is disrespectful to his father.
(b) Eiji's father is an alcoholic.
(c) Eiji's father sold a 500-year-old family heirloom sword.
(d) Eiji's father has embezzled money from his law firm.
9. What does Ai Imajo tell Eiji in Chapter Eight that she saw him throw away before he left Tokyo to meet his mother?
(a) His cigarettes.
(b) His old baseball cap.
(c) His old, faded blue jeans.
(d) His karate DVDs.
10. Why doesn't Eiji's grandfather meet him?
(a) His grandfather wants his attorney to send Eiji away.
(b) His grandfather is in the hospital.
(c) His grandfather has died.
(d) His grandfather has disowned him.
11. Which of the following is not a reason Mrs. Yamaya has sent information about yakuza activities to Eiji?
(a) She wants the yakuza to come after Eiji.
(b) She has sent information posthumously.
(c) She has sent information to people she hopes will act on it.
(d) Eiji shares the first name of her dead son.
12. When Buntaro visits Eiji in Chatper Five, who does he say has been looking for Eiji?
(a) Mr. Tsuru.
(b) Eiji's father.
(c) Ai Imajo.
(d) Eiji's stepmother.
13. Why does the person in Eiji's third dream say Anju is not dead?
(a) Because her death was a dream.
(b) Because life is eternal.
(c) Because Eiji won't let her die.
(d) Because she was kidnapped.
14. In Chapter Six, what tale does Suga give as the reason for his emotional distress when he shows up drunk one night while Eiji is working?
(a) A breakup with his girlfriend.
(b) A financial loss.
(c) A car accident in which a young boy was killed.
(d) A job loss.
15. In Eiji's dream at the beginning of Chapter Eight, who is grown-up in the dream?
(d) Yuki Chiyo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the postcard Eiji receives ask him to do?
2. At the beginning of Chapter Six, where does Eiji go to meet his grandfather?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe something Daimon reveals during his visit with Eiji in Chapter Five?
4. In Chapter Six, who does Eiji phone with increasing frequency?
5. Who meets Eiji when he is expecting to meet his grandfather instead?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)