|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eiji miss his six o'clock visitor?
(a) He is drugged.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) The visitor breaks in and remains quiet to not be detected.
(d) He hides out in the secret room.
2. As he reflects on Anju's death and what gives his life meaning, what does Eiji begin to think about his search for his father?
(a) It might not be as important as he has previously believed.
(b) He should give up his quest.
(c) He should increase his devotion to his quest.
(d) It is what gives his life meaning.
3. Who is Mrs. Comb?
(a) A hen & Goatwriter's maid in the book Eiji finds and reads.
(b) Eiji's stepmother.
(c) Eiji's stepsister.
(d) The owner of the unfamiliar house in which Eiji finds himself.
4. Who responds to Eiji's personal ad in the newspaper?
(a) A woman who says she knows Eiji's father.
(b) A man who thinks Eiji may be his grandson.
(c) A woman who thinks Eiji may be her stepbrother.
(d) A man who thinks Eiji may be his son.
5. What happens during Eiji's visit with his mother?
(a) Eiji and his mother argue loudly.
(b) Eiji's mother runs away from him.
(c) Eiji and his mother agree to try and start over.
(d) Eiji and his mother blame each other for Anju's death.
6. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
(a) She has a better job for him elsewhere.
(b) He has been fired.
(c) The yakuza or police might be looking for him there.
(d) They closed the station after Mr. Aoyama's suicide.
7. Which of the following is not a way the yakuza trick Eiji in Chapter Seven?
(a) They use Daimon to get Eiji to their meeting place.
(b) The message says his father wants to see him.
(c) The message gives a time and place to meet his father.
(d) They leave him a message supposedly from his father.
8. Why is Ogre not married?
(a) He sleepwalks and acts out his dreams while doing so.
(b) The woman he loved died and he never got over her.
(c) He fears a wife would spend all his money.
(d) He prefers not to commit himself to marriage.
9. What obstacle does Ai Imajo face in attaining her goal?
(a) She has a learning disability.
(b) She can't afford it.
(c) Her father doesn't want her to go to the Paris school.
(d) She doesn't have good grades.
10. Who is Ogre?
(a) Eiji's cousin.
(b) The driver of the truck in which Eiji is riding.
(c) A coworker at Nero's.
(d) A yakuza assassin.
11. What fact is Eiji surprised to learn about the identity of Mrs. Sasaki, his boss at Ueno Station?
(a) She is his stepmother.
(b) She is one of his stepsisters.
(c) She is Buntaro's mother.
(d) She knows his father.
12. In Chapter Six, what does Ai Imajo confide to Eiji?
(a) That she knows who Eiji's father is.
(b) That she's diabetic and shoots herself with insulin.
(c) That she loves Eiji.
(d) That she is on the run from an abusive husband.
13. Who is expecting a baby in Chapter Six?
(a) Mrs. Sasaki.
(c) Eiji's mother.
(d) Buntaro's wife.
14. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya?
(a) They made her sell drugs for them.
(b) They made her a slave because of her husband's debts.
(c) They made her steal for them.
(d) They made her an assassin.
15. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
(a) They beat him up and left him for dead.
(b) They made him a yakuza hit man.
(c) They sold him to an American couple wanting a child.
(d) They killed him and sold his organs on the black market.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Subaru Tsukiyama's profession?
2. Who is Eiji's third dream in Chapter Eight about?
3. What have the yakuza done to Mrs. Yamaya because of her attempts to use the information she has gathered about their activities?
4. Who sends Eiji a postcard in Chapter Five?
5. What does Ai Imajo offer to buy Eiji when they meet for breakfast in Chapter Seven?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)