|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eiji miss his six o'clock visitor?
(a) He is drugged.
(b) He hides out in the secret room.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) The visitor breaks in and remains quiet to not be detected.
2. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
(a) They killed him and sold his organs on the black market.
(b) They made him a yakuza hit man.
(c) They beat him up and left him for dead.
(d) They sold him to an American couple wanting a child.
3. When Eiji asks Buntaro what he can do to cover his rent now that he is no longer working at Ueno Station, what does Buntaro propose?
(a) That Eiji run the video store while Buntaro goes on vacation.
(b) That Eiji not worry about rent until he finds a new job.
(c) That Eiji find a new place to live.
(d) That Eiji get a loan from his bank to pay the rent.
4. When Buntaro visits Eiji in Chatper Five, who does he say has been looking for Eiji?
(a) Mr. Tsuru.
(b) Eiji's father.
(c) Eiji's stepmother.
(d) Ai Imajo.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe something Daimon reveals during his visit with Eiji in Chapter Five?
(a) Daimon is now married to Miriam.
(b) Daimon promises to try to help Eiji find his father.
(c) Daimon and Miriam are going to disappear for a while.
(d) Daimon says the yakuza are no longer searching for him.
6. What does Eiji's grandfather loan Eiji?
(b) His most prized possession, his dead brother's journal.
(c) A car.
(d) A family photo album.
7. What does Eiji find in the secret room of the unfamiliar house?
(a) Mrs. Sasaki's old love letters.
(b) A dead body.
(c) A book manuscript written by Mrs. Sasaki's sister.
(d) A gun.
8. Why does Mrs. Sasaki tell Eiji not to return to his job at Ueno Station?
(a) He has been fired.
(b) She has a better job for him elsewhere.
(c) They closed the station after Mr. Aoyama's suicide.
(d) The yakuza or police might be looking for him there.
9. What have the yakuza done to Mrs. Yamaya because of her attempts to use the information she has gathered about their activities?
(a) They have taken her hostage.
(b) They have blackmailed her.
(c) They have murdered her.
(d) They have cut off her hand.
10. Who is Eiji's third dream in Chapter Eight about?
(a) Mr. Aoyama, the Ueno Station boss who killed himself.
(b) Eiji's grandfather.
(c) Eiji's father.
(d) Eiji's mother.
11. What kind of manager is Sachiko Sera at Nero's?
(a) An abusive manager.
(b) A kind and capable manager.
(c) An unkind and unfair manager.
(d) A demanding manager.
12. In Chapter Six, who does Eiji phone with increasing frequency?
(c) Ai Imajo.
13. Who is expecting a baby in Chapter Six?
(b) Mrs. Sasaki.
(c) Eiji's mother.
(d) Buntaro's wife.
14. As he reflects on Anju's death and what gives his life meaning, what does Eiji begin to think about his search for his father?
(a) He should increase his devotion to his quest.
(b) He should give up his quest.
(c) It might not be as important as he has previously believed.
(d) It is what gives his life meaning.
15. In Eiji's dream at the beginning of Chapter Eight, who is grown-up in the dream?
(d) Yuki Chiyo.
Short Answer Questions
1. When his mother phones him, what does Eiji say to her?
2. Who does Eiji's grandfather pretend to be when he meets Eiji?
3. What was Subaru Tsukiyama's profession?
4. In Chapter Seven, where is Suga going to take a new job?
5. Who is Eiji's second dream in Chapter Eight about?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)