|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Six, what tale does Suga give as the reason for his emotional distress when he shows up drunk one night while Eiji is working?
(a) A job loss.
(b) A car accident in which a young boy was killed.
(c) A financial loss.
(d) A breakup with his girlfriend.
2. What does Eiji's grandfather loan Eiji?
(a) His most prized possession, his dead brother's journal.
(b) A car.
(d) A family photo album.
3. What did the yakuza do to Mrs. Yamaya's son?
(a) They made him a yakuza hit man.
(b) They beat him up and left him for dead.
(c) They sold him to an American couple wanting a child.
(d) They killed him and sold his organs on the black market.
4. Who is Mrs. Yamaya?
(a) Eiji's stepsister.
(b) Morino's detective, who compiled the file on Eiji's father.
(c) Eiji's stepmother.
(d) A prospective employer for Eiji.
5. What does Eiji think of his new job at Nero's Pizza in Chapter Seven?
(a) He hates it.
(b) The kitchen is hot and cramped, but the work is easy.
(c) His coworkers are mean.
(d) The hours are too long.
6. Which of the following does not describe how Eiji sabotages the yakuza at the end of Chapter Seven?
(a) He bombs Mr. Tsuru's car.
(b) He attaches Mrs. Yamaya's data on the yakuza to the virus.
(c) He sends Mrs. Yamaya's data to theTokyo police.
(d) He uses Suga's computer virus.
7. In Chapter Five, how much time has lapsed since Eiji first left his village to come to Tokyo in search of his father?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) A week.
(c) Two years.
(d) A year.
8. Which of the following is not a reason Eiji's stepmother gives for why Eiji's father does not want to meet him?
(a) His father considers Eiji a reminder of his worst mistake.
(b) His father is ashamed of Eiji's illegitimacy.
(c) His father wants to preserve his privacy.
(d) Eiji's father is ill and in the hospital.
9. Who is Pithecanthropus?
(a) Goatwriter's friend and a handyman in the book Eiji finds.
(b) A customer in Buntaro's video store.
(c) A yakuza man.
(d) A customer in the Jupiter Cafe.
10. Who sends Eiji a postcard in Chapter Five?
(a) His father.
(b) Ai imajo.
(c) His stepmother.
(d) His mother.
11. Who is Mrs. Comb?
(a) The owner of the unfamiliar house in which Eiji finds himself.
(b) A hen & Goatwriter's maid in the book Eiji finds and reads.
(c) Eiji's stepmother.
(d) Eiji's stepsister.
12. What kind of manager is Sachiko Sera at Nero's?
(a) An abusive manager.
(b) An unkind and unfair manager.
(c) A demanding manager.
(d) A kind and capable manager.
13. Why does the person in Eiji's third dream say Anju is not dead?
(a) Because her death was a dream.
(b) Because life is eternal.
(c) Because she was kidnapped.
(d) Because Eiji won't let her die.
14. What is Eiji's mother doing when he arrives at her clinic?
(a) Having a birthday party.
(d) Eating lunch.
15. What obstacle does Ai Imajo face in attaining her goal?
(a) She doesn't have good grades.
(b) She has a learning disability.
(c) Her father doesn't want her to go to the Paris school.
(d) She can't afford it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Six, who does Eiji phone with increasing frequency?
2. When Eiji wakes up in a strange house after his night of terror with the yakuza, what childhood memory does it rekindle?
3. Which of the following is not part of the story that Monkfish relates to Eiji?
4. Who sets Eiji free from the yakuza and saves his life in Chapter Seven?
5. Which of the following does not describe what Eiji finds when he finally meets his father?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)