|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange things does Ai say are happening in Tokyo when she and Eiji talk by telephone at the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) The temperature has dropped noticeably.
(b) The rain is yellow.
(c) Pigeons are flying into buildings and cars.
(d) It is snowing in summer.
2. Who is expecting a baby in Chapter Six?
(b) Mrs. Sasaki.
(c) Buntaro's wife.
(d) Eiji's mother.
3. Who picks up Eiji as he is fleeing the exploding Cadillacs at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(b) Mr. Tsuru.
(d) Ryutaro Morino.
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the unfamiliar house in which Eiji awakens at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) It has no tv.
(b) It has no telephone.
(c) A big black dog lives in it.
(d) It is well-furnished and old fashioned.
5. Why does Eiji's grandfather say he despises Eiji's father?
(a) Eiji's father has embezzled money from his law firm.
(b) Eiji's father sold a 500-year-old family heirloom sword.
(c) Eiji's father is disrespectful to his father.
(d) Eiji's father is an alcoholic.
6. To whom did Eiji's guitar once belong?
(a) Eiji's grandfather.
(b) Eiji's mother.
(c) Eiji's father.
7. How long after his meeting with Admiral Raizo is Eiji supposed to meet his grandfather?
(a) One year.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) One month.
(d) Seven days.
8. In Chapter Five, how much time has lapsed since Eiji first left his village to come to Tokyo in search of his father?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) A year.
(c) Two years.
(d) A week.
9. Where do Ai Imajo and Eiji have breakfast in Chapter Seven?
(a) The Amadeus Tea Room.
(c) The Jupiter Cafe.
(d) The PanOpticon Building.
10. Who does Ai Imajo urge Eiji to meet?
(a) His mother.
(b) His half-sister.
(c) His father.
(d) His stepmother.
11. Why does Eiji miss his six o'clock visitor?
(a) The visitor breaks in and remains quiet to not be detected.
(b) He is drugged.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He hides out in the secret room.
12. What kind of manager is Sachiko Sera at Nero's?
(a) A demanding manager.
(b) A kind and capable manager.
(c) An unkind and unfair manager.
(d) An abusive manager.
13. In Chapter Six, what tale does Suga give as the reason for his emotional distress when he shows up drunk one night while Eiji is working?
(a) A job loss.
(b) A car accident in which a young boy was killed.
(c) A breakup with his girlfriend.
(d) A financial loss.
14. Who does Eiji's grandfather pretend to be when he meets Eiji?
(a) His grandfather's attorney.
(b) His grandfather's financial adviser.
(c) His grandfather's physician.
(d) Admiral Raizo, an old family friend.
15. Who is Pithecanthropus?
(a) A yakuza man.
(b) Goatwriter's friend and a handyman in the book Eiji finds.
(c) A customer in Buntaro's video store.
(d) A customer in the Jupiter Cafe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eiji think of his new job at Nero's Pizza in Chapter Seven?
2. Why is Ogre not married?
3. What is Eiji's mother doing when he arrives at her clinic?
4. When Eiji wakes up in a strange house after his night of terror with the yakuza, what childhood memory does it rekindle?
5. What does the postcard Eiji receives ask him to do?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)