|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what does Subaru Tsukiyama find his life's meaning?
(a) In his work as a medical doctor.
(b) In charity work to help the poor.
(c) In raising his three children.
(d) In volunteering to sacrifice his life for his country.
2. What is Ai Imajo's educational goal?
(a) To get a law degree.
(b) To go to medical school.
(c) To attend a prestigious school in Paris to study music.
(d) To become an accountant.
3. Why is Ogre not married?
(a) He prefers not to commit himself to marriage.
(b) He sleepwalks and acts out his dreams while doing so.
(c) He fears a wife would spend all his money.
(d) The woman he loved died and he never got over her.
4. Who responds to Eiji's personal ad in the newspaper?
(a) A man who thinks Eiji may be his son.
(b) A woman who thinks Eiji may be her stepbrother.
(c) A woman who says she knows Eiji's father.
(d) A man who thinks Eiji may be his grandson.
5. Why does Daimon come to visit Eiji in Chapter Five?
(a) To warn Eiji to stay away from Miriam.
(b) To thank Eiji for saving his life and to apologize.
(c) To tell Eiji he has found Eiji's father.
(d) To kill Eiji.
6. In Chapter Five, who faxes Eiji a message that he is coming to visit at six o'clock?
(b) Eiji's father.
7. What is Eiji's fourth dream in Chapter Eight about?
(a) His father and stepmother.
(b) Yoko Ono.
(c) John Lennon and his song #9 Dream.
(d) Anju and her death.
8. Why does Eiji miss his six o'clock visitor?
(a) The visitor breaks in and remains quiet to not be detected.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He is drugged.
(d) He hides out in the secret room.
9. Why doesn't Eiji take a cigarette when Ogre offers him one?
(a) He doesn't like Ogre.
(b) He fears Ogre has germs.
(c) He is allergic to cigarettes.
(d) He has promised AI Imajo he will stop smoking.
10. Who is Eiji's second dream in Chapter Eight about?
(a) His father.
(b) His stepmother.
(d) His mother.
11. What gives Ai Imajo's life meaning?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her job.
12. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
(d) Ai Imajo.
13. Who meets Eiji when he is expecting to meet his grandfather instead?
(a) His stepmother and half-sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandfather's attorney.
14. When his mother phones him, what does Eiji say to her?
(a) That he never wants to hear from her again.
(b) That she is crazy and needs therapy.
(c) That he wants to come see her.
(d) That she is responsible for Anju's death.
15. When Eiji wakes up from his initial dream in Chapter Eight, where does he find himself?
(a) At his mother's clinic.
(b) At the Jupiter Cafe.
(c) In the cab of a truck.
(d) In Ai Imajo's apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe what Eiji finds when he finally meets his father?
2. Why has Mrs. Yamaya not been able to get the authorities to make use of the data she has gathered about the yakuza?
3. Who offers Eiji a job at Nero's pizza?
4. What is Subaru Tsukiyama's relationship to Eiji?
5. Who is Ogre?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)