|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Eiji's dream at the beginning of Chapter Eight, who is grown-up in the dream?
(b) Yuki Chiyo.
2. As he reflects on Anju's death and what gives his life meaning, what does Eiji begin to think about his search for his father?
(a) It might not be as important as he has previously believed.
(b) It is what gives his life meaning.
(c) He should increase his devotion to his quest.
(d) He should give up his quest.
3. Where does Eiji find himself when he wakes up after his second dream in Chapter Eight?
(a) In Buntaro's video store.
(b) At the Jupiter Cafe.
(c) At the PanOpticon building.
(d) In the cab of another truck.
4. Which of the following is not a reason Eiji's stepmother gives for why Eiji's father does not want to meet him?
(a) His father considers Eiji a reminder of his worst mistake.
(b) His father is ashamed of Eiji's illegitimacy.
(c) Eiji's father is ill and in the hospital.
(d) His father wants to preserve his privacy.
5. Why has Mrs. Yamaya not been able to get the authorities to make use of the data she has gathered about the yakuza?
(a) The yakuza are blackmailing her.
(b) She is in hiding.
(c) The yakuza own the police and politicians.
(d) The data is hidden in a place guarded by the yakuza.
6. Where do Ai Imajo and Eiji have breakfast in Chapter Seven?
(a) The PanOpticon Building.
(b) The Jupiter Cafe.
(d) The Amadeus Tea Room.
7. Who picks up Eiji as he is fleeing the exploding Cadillacs at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) Ryutaro Morino.
(d) Mr. Tsuru.
8. Who does Eiji call to share the good news about the response to his newspaper ad?
(b) Ai Imajo.
9. What have the yakuza done to Mrs. Yamaya because of her attempts to use the information she has gathered about their activities?
(a) They have blackmailed her.
(b) They have taken her hostage.
(c) They have murdered her.
(d) They have cut off her hand.
10. At the beginning of Chapter Six, where does Eiji go to meet his grandfather?
(a) The Amadeus Tea Room.
(b) His grandfather's home in Tokyo.
(c) The PanOpticon.
(d) The Jupiter Cafe.
11. In Chapter Seven, where is Suga going to take a new job?
(d) New York.
12. When Eiji asks Buntaro what he can do to cover his rent now that he is no longer working at Ueno Station, what does Buntaro propose?
(a) That Eiji not worry about rent until he finds a new job.
(b) That Eiji find a new place to live.
(c) That Eiji run the video store while Buntaro goes on vacation.
(d) That Eiji get a loan from his bank to pay the rent.
13. What does Admiral Raizo say Eiji and his grandfather both want?
(b) The love of Eiji's father.
(d) A happy family life.
14. What gives Ai Imajo's life meaning?
(c) Her job.
(d) Her family.
15. Who is Ogre?
(a) Eiji's cousin.
(b) A yakuza assassin.
(c) A coworker at Nero's.
(d) The driver of the truck in which Eiji is riding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers Eiji a job at Nero's pizza?
2. Who sets Eiji free from the yakuza and saves his life in Chapter Seven?
3. Who is Mrs. Comb?
4. Who is Pithecanthropus?
5. What happens in Tokyo at the end of the book?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)