|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Anju when Eiji has to leave her to go on an overnight trip with his soccer team?
(a) She drowns while trying to swim out to the whalestone.
(b) She has a severe asthma attack.
(c) She meets their long lost mother.
(d) She is kidnapped.
2. Why have Daimon and Eiji been kidnapped?
(a) Because of their involvement with Miriam, Morino's girlfriend.
(b) Because Eiji's father is a yakuza leader.
(c) Because they didn't pay their bill at the Queen of Spades.
(d) Because the yakuza thinks they stole yakuza money.
3. Who does Eiji fantasize knocking out with the item in his toolbox?
(a) His boss, his landlord, and his father.
(b) The receptionist, Akiko Kato's bioborg, and Akiko Kato.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
4. In what city does the book open?
(b) New York.
5. What draws Eiji's attention to one of the waitresses?
(a) The woman's short skirt.
(b) The woman's perfect neck.
(c) The woman's dyed blonde hair.
(d) The woman's missing front teeth.
6. What does Eiji wear on his head in Chapter One?
(a) A baseball cap.
(b) A plumed hat.
(c) A golf cap.
(d) A straw hat.
7. Which of the following is not an element of Eiji's daydream in Chapter One once it begins to rain?
(a) Eiji drowns, is cremated and Yoko Ono attends his funeral.
(b) Eiji must save the pretty waitress from a crocodile.
(c) It rains so hard the entire city of Tokyo is flooded.
(d) Eiji takes a boat to China.
8. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal?
(a) That his mother works in Tokyo with Akiko Kato.
(b) That his mother is dying of cancer.
(c) That his mother tried to kill him when he was a baby.
(d) That his father is a famous movie star.
9. Who gets Eiji his job by arranging an interview for him with Mrs. Sasaki?
(b) Mr. Aoyama.
10. What kind of insects live in Eiji's apartment?
11. What does Eiji come to realize about the word "Father" in the strange messages he receives that Father is watching him?
(a) It refers to a priest with ties to the yakuza.
(b) It refers to Daimon's father.
(c) It refers to a female yakuza leader.
(d) It means a yakuza leader rather than his birth father.
12. Who are Frankenstein and Lizard?
(a) The two yakuza men waiting in the Cadillac for Eiji.
(b) Characters in a video game.
(c) Two of Eiji's coworkers.
(d) Cartoon characters.
13. From what locale does Eiji sit and daydream about meeting Akiko Kato?
(a) A parking lot in downtown Tokyo.
(b) A riverside bar called The Paradise Grill.
(c) The Jupiter Cafe.
(d) The PanOpticon Building.
14. With whom do eleven-year-old Anju and Eiji live?
(a) Their uncle.
(b) Their father and stepmother.
(c) Their mother.
(d) Their grandmother.
15. What does Eiji witness while with the yakuza?
(a) Multiple tortures and murders.
(b) A bank robbery.
(c) A drug sale.
(d) A carjacking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine does Suga read in Chapter Two?
2. What mark identifies someone as a yakuza man or mobster?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Mr. Aoyama?
4. What errand does the attractive waitress leave to do?
5. Which of the following statements is not part of the fantasy Eiji tells Anju about the whalestone, a giant rock that emerges from the sea?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)