|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Three, who accuses Eiji of spying on her for Daimon?
(d) Ai Imajo.
2. Who is Buntaro?
(a) Eiji's landlord.
(b) Eiji's father.
(c) Eiji's older brother.
(d) Eiji's best friend.
3. Which of the following statements is not part of the fantasy Eiji tells Anju about the whalestone, a giant rock that emerges from the sea?
(a) The stone is magical.
(b) It was a real whale the thunder god turned into stone.
(c) A mermaid lives under it.
(d) If you swim to it, it will take you anywhere you want to go.
4. Who warns Eiji to stay away from the Queen of Spades because it isn't an ordinary club?
(a) Ai Imajo.
5. At the beginning of Chapter One, how does Eiji hope he will meet Akiko Kato?
(a) He hopes she will come to the Jupiter Cafe for lunch.
(b) He hopes a friend will introduce them.
(c) He hopes he will meet Akiko on the bus ride home.
(d) He hopes he will meet Akiko at a dance.
6. In what city does the book open?
(d) New York.
7. Why does Eiji do what he does to the thunder god's statue when he is eleven?
(a) To fulfill his initiation into a gang.
(b) To rebel against his mother and father.
(c) To worship the thunder god.
(d) To pay the god back for Anju's death.
8. What does the letter Eiji receives from his mother in Chapter Two reveal?
(a) That his mother tried to kill him when he was a baby.
(b) That his father is a famous movie star.
(c) That his mother works in Tokyo with Akiko Kato.
(d) That his mother is dying of cancer.
9. What birthday does Eiji celebrate at the beginning of Chapter Three?
(a) His eighteenth birthday.
(b) His twenty-fifth birthday.
(c) His thirtieth birthday.
(d) His twentieth birthday.
10. Which of the following statements does not describe Daimon?
(a) He is a gifted pool player.
(b) He is from Germany.
(c) He is a final-year law student.
(d) He is a native of Tokyo.
11. What magazine does Suga read in Chapter Two?
(b) Sports Illustrated.
12. On whose cell phone conversation does Eiji eavesdrop?
(b) Akiko Kato's.
(d) The waitress with the perfect neck's.
13. What kind of business does Buntaro own?
(a) A bakery.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A lawn care service.
(d) A video store.
14. What happens when Eiji asks for the file folder about his father?
(a) It is given to him.
(b) He's told to leave before he's beaten senseless.
(c) The yakuza burn it.
(d) The yakuza break his arm.
15. What does Eiji come to realize about the word "Father" in the strange messages he receives that Father is watching him?
(a) It means a yakuza leader rather than his birth father.
(b) It refers to a priest with ties to the yakuza.
(c) It refers to a female yakuza leader.
(d) It refers to Daimon's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of insects live in Eiji's apartment?
2. What is the source of Daimon's money?
3. Which of the following people is not involved in the yakuza war?
4. Which of the following is not something Anju can do at age eleven?
5. In what guise does Eiji fantasize that he sneaks into Akiko Kato's building?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)