|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Velvet and Coffee?
(a) Two video game characters.
(b) Two undercover policemen.
(c) Two waitresses at a tea house.
(d) Two girls Eiji and Daimon pick up in a bar.
2. How many waitresses does Eiji encounter in Chapter One?
3. Who does Eiji find waiting for him when he comes out of the noodle shop in Chapter Four?
(c) Two men in a black Cadillac.
(d) Ai Imajo.
4. Which of the following statements is not part of the fantasy Eiji tells Anju about the whalestone, a giant rock that emerges from the sea?
(a) It was a real whale the thunder god turned into stone.
(b) If you swim to it, it will take you anywhere you want to go.
(c) The stone is magical.
(d) A mermaid lives under it.
5. Who gets Eiji his job by arranging an interview for him with Mrs. Sasaki?
(a) Mr. Aoyama.
6. Which of the following statements does not describe Mr. Aoyama?
(a) He wears a gold stud earring in his ear.
(b) He is paranoid and thinks Eiji is a consultant spying on him.
(c) He has a perfect Adolf Hitler mustache.
(d) He is bald.
7. Who do the yakuza men lock up with Eiji in Chapter Four?
(a) Ai Imajo.
8. What is Anju's relationship to Eiji?
(a) She's his twin sister.
(b) She's his boss.
(c) She's his neighbor.
(d) She's his mother.
9. Which of the following does not describe Suga's appearance in Chapter Two?
(a) He has eczema.
(b) He has a fat bellow but no butt.
(c) He has long, dangly arms.
(d) He has a ponytail.
10. How does Akiko Kato respond in Chapter Two to the letter Eiji sends her?
(a) She sends him his father's address.
(b) She asks him to schedule a time to see her.
(c) She calls him and invites him to dinner.
(d) She refuses to help him find his father.
11. What is Eiji Miyake's quest?
(a) To find the identity of his father.
(b) To find out who murdered his sister.
(c) To find a hidden treasure.
(d) To find out who is planning to murder a politician.
12. With whom does Daimon seem to have tension at the Queen of Spades?
(a) Velvet and Coffee.
(b) The owner.
(c) Miriam, one of the club's hostesses.
13. Who is Wheatie?
(a) Anju and Eiji's grandmother.
(b) Eiji's girlfriend.
(c) Anju and Eiji's mother.
(d) Eiji's landlord.
14. What does Eiji find inside the file folder?
(a) A photo of his birth father and Akiko Kato.
(b) A bomb.
(c) His birth certificate identifying his birth father.
(d) A letter from his birth father.
15. What does Eiji think about Anju's ability to swim to the whalestone?
(a) He thinks she can swim to the whalestone, but not very fast.
(b) He doesn't think she can swim that far.
(c) He thinks the water is too deep for her.
(d) He thinks she can easily swim that far.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter Four, in what predicament does Eiji find himself?
2. Why have Daimon and Eiji been kidnapped?
3. What does Anju learn about her mother when she accidentally overhears some local women talking in Mrs. Tanaka's store?
4. Who claims to have a file folder about Eiji's father?
5. Who promises to pay for a hotel room for the night and then leaves Eiji with the bill?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)