|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What draws Eiji's attention to one of the waitresses?
(a) The woman's perfect neck.
(b) The woman's missing front teeth.
(c) The woman's short skirt.
(d) The woman's dyed blonde hair.
2. Which of the following is not something Eiji has to convince his kidnapper of in order to be released?
(a) He doesn't know Daimon.
(b) He is not a spy for Jun Nagasaki.
(c) He is not romantically invovled with Miriam.
(d) He is not selling drugs.
3. What birthday does Eiji celebrate at the beginning of Chapter Three?
(a) His thirtieth birthday.
(b) His twenty-fifth birthday.
(c) His twentieth birthday.
(d) His eighteenth birthday.
4. What kind of business does Buntaro own?
(a) A video store.
(b) A lawn care service.
(c) A bakery.
(d) A restaurant.
5. How does Ai Imajo suggest that Eiji search for his father in Tokyo?
(a) By hiring a private detective.
(b) By going on television.
(c) By putting an ad in the newspaper's personal columns.
(d) By seeing his mother and making her lead him to his father.
6. Which of the following is not an element of Eiji's daydream in Chapter One once it begins to rain?
(a) Eiji must save the pretty waitress from a crocodile.
(b) Eiji drowns, is cremated and Yoko Ono attends his funeral.
(c) Eiji takes a boat to China.
(d) It rains so hard the entire city of Tokyo is flooded.
7. What does Anju learn about her mother when she accidentally overhears some local women talking in Mrs. Tanaka's store?
(a) Her mother committed suicide.
(b) Her mother is a drug addict.
(c) Her mother abandoned her and Eiji to pursue men.
(d) Her mother died in a car wreck.
8. Where does Eiji find the file folder about his father?
(a) In the black Cadillac.
(b) In the garbage.
(c) At the Queen of Spades.
(d) At the Jupiter Cafe.
9. Where does Eiji go for breakfast in Chapter Three after his night with Daimon?
(a) Bunaro's video game store.
(b) His apartment.
(c) The Jupiter Cafe.
(d) The Queen of Spades.
10. Which of the following people is not involved in the yakuza war?
(b) Jun Nagasaki, the current top dog.
(c) Daimon's father, a corrupt police chief.
(d) Konosuke Tsuru, the elderly and sick old leader.
11. What does Eiji leave in the video arcade in Chapter Three?
(a) His wallet.
(b) His baseball cap.
(c) His car keys.
(d) His credit card.
12. In what city does the book open?
(b) New York.
13. What mark identifies someone as a yakuza man or mobster?
(a) A leopard tattoo on the chest.
(b) A dragon tattoo on the arm.
(c) A snake tattoo on a shaved head.
(d) A pierced nostril and ruby nose ring.
14. To what does Eiji's stepmother compare him?
(a) A boil she will lance.
(b) A cockroach.
(c) A happy memory.
(d) A warm, sunny day.
15. In Eiji's fantasy about Akiko Kato, what happens to the information he finds in her office?
(a) The ink it's printed with disappears when exposed to air.
(b) It's stolen from him before he can read it.
(c) It is accidentally shredded.
(d) It proves false and doesn't lead to his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims to have a file folder about Eiji's father?
2. What is the Queen of Spades?
3. How many waitresses does Eiji encounter in Chapter One?
4. Why have Daimon and Eiji been kidnapped?
5. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what does Eiji think has happened to Cat?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)