|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Phillip reading for school in Chapter 1?
2. Who tells Phillip that they liked the assigned reading book?
3. What are the students at the school supposed to listen to every day?
4. What does Phillip's homeroom teacher do during the National Anthem?
5. What is Phillip's favorite topic in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen if the budget proposal is not accepted?
2. What does Mrs. Malloy want her husband to talk to Philip about in Chapter 9?
3. What grade does Philip get on his English exam, and what warning does he receive?
4. What has Philip been assigned to read at school, and how does he feel about it?
5. What does Philip do to try to impress the girl he likes?
6. What does Miss Narwin write to her sister about at the beginning of the school year?
7. What did Sarah Gloss say to Philip?
8. What kind of document is featured in Chapter 5?
9. What does Coach Jamison tell Philip before the track team try-outs?
10. What happened when Philip went to a seafood restaurant with his parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Phillip's relationship with his parents change over the course of the story? What caused these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Goals and the sacrifice needed to achieve goals was a major theme in this book. What are some of the main examples of this theme, and how did it affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)