|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter, A Question of Identity, how does Baldwin learn about his struggle for identity in the world?
2. In total, how many days did Baldwin spend in the French prison system?
3. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
4. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
5. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isolation is a major theme throughout Baldwin's book Notes of a Native Son. What reasons do you think African Americans abroad had for choosing to isolate themselves from other African Americans abroad? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Baldwin wrote each of the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son between 1940 and 1959 and he published each in various publications during that time. Why do you think Baldwin selected these particular essays for inclusion in the book? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Baldwin's experiences as a Negro in America to his experiences in Paris and Switzerland. How are these experiences similar? How are these experiences different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)