|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin say boys and young men of the Swiss village can be seen doing all week long?
2. Why does Baldwin go to the Swiss village?
3. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
4. What is the population of the town at the foot of the mountain, where many of the Swiss villagers shop and go to the movies?
5. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Baldwin's experiences as a Negro in America to his experiences in Paris and Switzerland. How are these experiences similar? How are these experiences different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Baldwin writes the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son using more of a conventional style rather than an academic style. Analyze Baldwin's conventional approach to writing. How does Baldwin's conventional approach to writing enhance the book Notes of a Native Son? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay entitled Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin uses his own personal experience to help the reader understand racial prejudice. What is the significance of Baldwin using his own personal story to relay his message? How does his own personal experience help the reader to understand racial prejudice? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)