|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hours does it take to get from Milan to the Swiss Village?
2. What university were American soldiers attending in Paris?
3. What issue is the American constantly confronted with in Paris?
4. What does Baldwin assume is the main religion of the Swiss village?
5. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the essay entitled Many Thousands Gone, Baldwin refers to the story of the Negro in America as the story of America. How is the story of the Negro in America the story of America? What about the Negroes' story makes it representative of America and American society? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Isolation is a major theme throughout Baldwin's book Notes of a Native Son. What reasons do you think African Americans abroad had for choosing to isolate themselves from other African Americans abroad? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay entitled Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin uses his own personal experience to help the reader understand racial prejudice. What is the significance of Baldwin using his own personal story to relay his message? How does his own personal experience help the reader to understand racial prejudice? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)