|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
2. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
3. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
4. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
5. How did the French see Baldwin in the commissariat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Baldwin's experiences as a Negro in America to his experiences in Paris and Switzerland. How are these experiences similar? How are these experiences different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay Journey to Atlanta, Baldwin recounts the Melodeers' experience with prejudice in Atlanta. Why do you think it was significant for Baldwin to point out the prejudice that occurred on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line? What does the Mason-Dixon Line represent? What is the significance of the Mason-Dixon Line and the Melodeers' trip down south? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Isolation is a major theme throughout Baldwin's book Notes of a Native Son. What reasons do you think African Americans abroad had for choosing to isolate themselves from other African Americans abroad? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)