|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin say boys and young men of the Swiss village can be seen doing all week long?
2. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
3. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
4. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
5. What issue is the American constantly confronted with in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Baldwin writes about the struggle for African Americans to find their own identity in the United States. Based on Baldwin's essays, do you think African Americans will be able to find their identity as American citizens or will they always have to "escape" in order to try to find their identity? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Based on Baldwin's essays Carmen Jones: The Dark is Light Enough and The Harlem Ghetto, what role did media (i.e. newspapers, magazines, and film) have on the life of the Negro in the 1940s and 1950s? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Baldwin describes his relationship with his father in Notes of a Native Son. After his father's death, Baldwin feels a sense of melancholy that he never had a chance to bond with his father. Why do you think Baldwin feels this way? What regrets, if any, do you think Baldwin had at the end of his father's life? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)