|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
2. What gift did Baldwin's attorney friend bring him in prison?
3. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
4. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
5. Why does Baldwin escape to Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Baldwin wrote each of the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son between 1940 and 1959 and he published each in various publications during that time. Why do you think Baldwin selected these particular essays for inclusion in the book? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay entitled Many Thousands Gone, Baldwin refers to the story of the Negro in America as the story of America. How is the story of the Negro in America the story of America? What about the Negroes' story makes it representative of America and American society? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Isolation is a major theme throughout Baldwin's book Notes of a Native Son. What reasons do you think African Americans abroad had for choosing to isolate themselves from other African Americans abroad? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)