|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In total, how many days did Baldwin spend in the French prison system?
2. Where did Baldwin spend much of his time while in Paris?
3. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
4. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
5. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Baldwin writes the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son using more of a conventional style rather than an academic style. Analyze Baldwin's conventional approach to writing. How does Baldwin's conventional approach to writing enhance the book Notes of a Native Son? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay entitled, A Question of Identity, Baldwin finds it ironic that many Americans opted to remain in Europe after the war to experience the cultural freedoms available there, but later returned to the Unites States hungry for the rules and society in which they were raised. Do you find this ironic? Why do you think African American men returned to the United States after spending time in Europe? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Notes of a Native Son is a collection of essays written by James Baldwin to illuminate the life conditions of the Negro people during the 1940s and 1950s pre-civil rights era.
In your opinion, what audience did Baldwin want to read this book? Who was his target audience? Did he write his book for African Americans, Whites, Non-Americans, etc? Why do you think he wrote the book for the audience you have identified as his target audience? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)