|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Baldwin believed that the American Negro in Paris in the 1940s and 50s was forced to exercise what practice?
2. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
3. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
4. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
5. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Carmen Jones: The Dark is Light Enough, Baldwin criticizes the all-black version of Carmen Jones for its unrealistic portrayal of African American life, its emphasis on negative stereotypes, and it's "whitening" of African American life. However, this film was considered a major breakthrough venue of African American actors in the 1950s. What were Baldwin's criticisms? Why do you think Baldwin criticizes this film? How do the roles in the film affirm Baldwin's criticisms? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay entitled Many Thousands Gone, Baldwin refers to the story of the Negro in America as the story of America. How is the story of the Negro in America the story of America? What about the Negroes' story makes it representative of America and American society? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Equal in Paris, Baldwin chooses to live in Paris, a place where he is considered a stranger. How does Baldwin's experience as a stranger in Paris differ from his experience as a stranger in his own country, the United States? Likewise, what similarities exist between Baldwin's experience as a stranger in Paris and the United States? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)