|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Baldwin stay while in Switzerland?
2. What did Baldwin suggest attracted ex-GI's to live and study in Paris?
3. According to Baldwin, which of the following can the black man call home?
4. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
5. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
Essay Topic 1
In Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin makes reference to stereotypical and unrealistic black characters such as Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom, and Carmen Jones. In your opinion, do these stereotypical figures represent the story of America? If so, how do these images represent the story of America? How do these images represent the lives of African Americans? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the chapter Many Thousands Gone, Baldwin describes what it means to be a "Native Son" for black men. In a later essay, Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin describes his life as a "Native Son." How does Baldwin's description compare to his personal account? In what ways are they similar? In what ways are they different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay Journey to Atlanta, Baldwin retells the story of the Melodeers' trip to Atlanta. What types of style and tone techniques does Baldwin use in this essay and for what purpose does he use these forms? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)