|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
2. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
3. How did the French see Baldwin in the commissariat?
4. What does Baldwin assume is the main religion of the Swiss village?
5. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Baldwin describes his relationship with his father in Notes of a Native Son. After his father's death, Baldwin feels a sense of melancholy that he never had a chance to bond with his father. Why do you think Baldwin feels this way? What regrets, if any, do you think Baldwin had at the end of his father's life? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Escaping is a major theme throughout many of the essays in Baldwin's book. For instance Baldwin escapes to Switzerland to write his book and African American soldiers escape to Paris for education and French culture. How do you think writing this book served as an escape for Baldwin? Did he write to escape the perils of life or racial prejudice? Did he write to help other understand the escape of African Americans from America and American culture? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay Journey to Atlanta, Baldwin recounts the Melodeers' experience with prejudice in Atlanta. Why do you think it was significant for Baldwin to point out the prejudice that occurred on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line? What does the Mason-Dixon Line represent? What is the significance of the Mason-Dixon Line and the Melodeers' trip down south? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)