|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prison was Baldwin sent to because of his last name?
2. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
3. What do the Swiss Villagers occasionally do on Sundays?
4. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
5. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isolation is a major theme throughout Baldwin's book Notes of a Native Son. What reasons do you think African Americans abroad had for choosing to isolate themselves from other African Americans abroad? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin uses his personal experience to describe his life as a native son. How does Baldwin's personal account as a Native Son compare to his summary and criticism of the book Native Son in the essay Many Thousands Gone? Does his account address the issues he had with the original story? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Notes of a Native Son is a collection of essays written by James Baldwin to illuminate the life conditions of the Negro people during the 1940s and 1950s pre-civil rights era.
In your opinion, what audience did Baldwin want to read this book? Who was his target audience? Did he write his book for African Americans, Whites, Non-Americans, etc? Why do you think he wrote the book for the audience you have identified as his target audience? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)