|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
2. What gift did Baldwin's attorney friend bring him in prison?
3. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
4. What did Baldwin suggest attracted ex-GI's to live and study in Paris?
5. In what year did Baldwin's father die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Baldwin writes the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son using more of a conventional style rather than an academic style. Analyze Baldwin's conventional approach to writing. How does Baldwin's conventional approach to writing enhance the book Notes of a Native Son? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay Journey to Atlanta, Baldwin retells the story of the Melodeers' trip to Atlanta. What types of style and tone techniques does Baldwin use in this essay and for what purpose does he use these forms? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay entitled Many Thousands Gone, Baldwin refers to the story of the Negro in America as the story of America. How is the story of the Negro in America the story of America? What about the Negroes' story makes it representative of America and American society? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)