Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
2. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
3. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
4. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
5. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
Isolation is a major theme throughout Baldwin's book Notes of a Native Son. What reasons do you think African Americans abroad had for choosing to isolate themselves from other African Americans abroad? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
In the chapter Many Thousands Gone, Baldwin describes what it means to be a "Native Son" for black men. In a later essay, Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin describes his life as a "Native Son." How does Baldwin's description compare to his personal account? In what ways are they similar? In what ways are they different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
The purpose of Baldwin's essays is to analyze, understand and deal with racial prejudice. Choose one or two of Baldwin's essays and discuss how the essay incorporates this purpose of analysis, understanding, and dealing with racial prejudice. Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)