Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
2. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
3. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
4. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
5. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
Essay Topic 1
The purpose of Baldwin's essays is to analyze, understand and deal with racial prejudice. Choose one or two of Baldwin's essays and discuss how the essay incorporates this purpose of analysis, understanding, and dealing with racial prejudice. Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Baldwin's experiences as a Negro in America to his experiences in Paris and Switzerland. How are these experiences similar? How are these experiences different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin makes reference to stereotypical and unrealistic black characters such as Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom, and Carmen Jones. In your opinion, do these stereotypical figures represent the story of America? If so, how do these images represent the story of America? How do these images represent the lives of African Americans? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)