|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
2. Approximately how many people live in the Swiss village that Baldwin visits?
3. How does Baldwin describe the lives of the nonperforming Negroes in Paris as compared to the lives of Negro entertainers in the 1940s and 50s?
4. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
5. What is one way that Baldwin claims a person can become entrenched in the Parisian lifestyle?
Essay Topic 1
Isolation is a major theme throughout Baldwin's book Notes of a Native Son. What reasons do you think African Americans abroad had for choosing to isolate themselves from other African Americans abroad? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin makes reference to stereotypical and unrealistic black characters such as Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom, and Carmen Jones. In your opinion, do these stereotypical figures represent the story of America? If so, how do these images represent the story of America? How do these images represent the lives of African Americans? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Baldwin describes his relationship with his father in Notes of a Native Son. After his father's death, Baldwin feels a sense of melancholy that he never had a chance to bond with his father. Why do you think Baldwin feels this way? What regrets, if any, do you think Baldwin had at the end of his father's life? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)