|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
2. Which group did Baldwin mention as living together in groups - in the same neighborhoods and student hotels - while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
3. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
4. According to Baldwin, what feeling did the American Negro and the French Negro share?
5. What does Baldwin say boys and young men of the Swiss village can be seen doing all week long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Baldwin wrote each of the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son between 1940 and 1959 and he published each in various publications during that time. Why do you think Baldwin selected these particular essays for inclusion in the book? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The purpose of Baldwin's essays is to analyze, understand and deal with racial prejudice. Choose one or two of Baldwin's essays and discuss how the essay incorporates this purpose of analysis, understanding, and dealing with racial prejudice. Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Baldwin writes about the struggle for African Americans to find their own identity in the United States. Based on Baldwin's essays, do you think African Americans will be able to find their identity as American citizens or will they always have to "escape" in order to try to find their identity? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)