|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far was the Fresnes prison from Paris?
2. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
3. According to Baldwin, what does the black man in American struggle to find?
4. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
5. How does Baldwin describe the housing of all students living in the Latin Quarter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Notes of a Native Son is a collection of essays written by James Baldwin to illuminate the life conditions of the Negro people during the 1940s and 1950s pre-civil rights era.
In your opinion, what audience did Baldwin want to read this book? Who was his target audience? Did he write his book for African Americans, Whites, Non-Americans, etc? Why do you think he wrote the book for the audience you have identified as his target audience? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Baldwin writes about the struggle for African Americans to find their own identity in the United States. Based on Baldwin's essays, do you think African Americans will be able to find their identity as American citizens or will they always have to "escape" in order to try to find their identity? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Baldwin's experiences as a Negro in America to his experiences in Paris and Switzerland. How are these experiences similar? How are these experiences different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)