|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, where does the family lineage of any black man in America stop?
2. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
3. According to Baldwin, what does the black man in American struggle to find?
4. What performer did Baldwin believe would be remembered for their performance as the embattled solider in Broadway's Deep Are the Roots?
5. According to Baldwin, how did an American Negro view another American Negro in Paris during the 1940s and 50s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Equal in Paris, Baldwin chooses to live in Paris, a place where he is considered a stranger. How does Baldwin's experience as a stranger in Paris differ from his experience as a stranger in his own country, the United States? Likewise, what similarities exist between Baldwin's experience as a stranger in Paris and the United States? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay entitled, A Question of Identity, Baldwin finds it ironic that many Americans opted to remain in Europe after the war to experience the cultural freedoms available there, but later returned to the Unites States hungry for the rules and society in which they were raised. Do you find this ironic? Why do you think African American men returned to the United States after spending time in Europe? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The purpose of Baldwin's essays is to analyze, understand and deal with racial prejudice. Choose one or two of Baldwin's essays and discuss how the essay incorporates this purpose of analysis, understanding, and dealing with racial prejudice. Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)