|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, how did an American Negro view another American Negro in Paris during the 1940s and 50s?
2. According to Baldwin, what does the black man in American struggle to find?
3. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
4. What did Baldwin consume a lot of while writing?
5. What do the Swiss Villagers occasionally do on Sundays?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isolation is a major theme throughout Baldwin's book Notes of a Native Son. What reasons do you think African Americans abroad had for choosing to isolate themselves from other African Americans abroad? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Baldwin writes the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son using more of a conventional style rather than an academic style. Analyze Baldwin's conventional approach to writing. How does Baldwin's conventional approach to writing enhance the book Notes of a Native Son? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Carmen Jones: The Dark is Light Enough, Baldwin criticizes the all-black version of Carmen Jones for its unrealistic portrayal of African American life, its emphasis on negative stereotypes, and it's "whitening" of African American life. However, this film was considered a major breakthrough venue of African American actors in the 1950s. What were Baldwin's criticisms? Why do you think Baldwin criticizes this film? How do the roles in the film affirm Baldwin's criticisms? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)