|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prison was Baldwin sent to because of his last name?
2. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
3. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
4. According to Baldwin, what feeling did the American Negro and the French Negro share?
5. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the essay entitled Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin uses his own personal experience to help the reader understand racial prejudice. What is the significance of Baldwin using his own personal story to relay his message? How does his own personal experience help the reader to understand racial prejudice? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Baldwin's experiences as a Negro in America to his experiences in Paris and Switzerland. How are these experiences similar? How are these experiences different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Notes of a Native Son is a collection of essays written by James Baldwin to illuminate the life conditions of the Negro people during the 1940s and 1950s pre-civil rights era.
In your opinion, what audience did Baldwin want to read this book? Who was his target audience? Did he write his book for African Americans, Whites, Non-Americans, etc? Why do you think he wrote the book for the audience you have identified as his target audience? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)