|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
2. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
3. Why does Baldwin go to the Swiss village?
4. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
5. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Baldwin writes about the struggle for African Americans to find their own identity in the United States. Based on Baldwin's essays, do you think African Americans will be able to find their identity as American citizens or will they always have to "escape" in order to try to find their identity? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Baldwin describes his relationship with his father in Notes of a Native Son. After his father's death, Baldwin feels a sense of melancholy that he never had a chance to bond with his father. Why do you think Baldwin feels this way? What regrets, if any, do you think Baldwin had at the end of his father's life? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay entitled Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin uses his own personal experience to help the reader understand racial prejudice. What is the significance of Baldwin using his own personal story to relay his message? How does his own personal experience help the reader to understand racial prejudice? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)