|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of all Americans, who does Baldwin say Negroes distrust the most?
2. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
(a) Ebony and Our World.
(b) Ebony and Essence.
(c) Ebony and Jet.
(d) Essence and Jet.
3. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Universal Studios.
(b) MGM Studios.
(c) Walt Disney Studios.
(d) Twentieth Century Fox.
4. Where did the Melodeers ultimately end up rehearsing for their performances in Atlanta?
(c) A private home.
(d) A Negro motel.
5. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(b) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(c) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(d) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
2. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
3. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
4. Where is Atlanta located?
5. Who was the legal guardian and road manager of the Melodeers during their journey to Atlanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the individuals in the Swiss village identify black people as negative?
2. Describe Baldwin's father.
3. Why were the Melodeers performing in the south?
4. What roles does religion play in the life of the Negro?
5. In the essay entitled Everybody's Protest Novel, why does Baldwin use the first person narrative perspective?
6. How are Ebony and Our World Magazines different?
7. Why did seeing the hotel monogram on the sheets mean nothing to Baldwin?
8. Why has Baldwin written extensively about the Negro press?
9. According to Baldwin, why are the mannerisms of the character Carmen Jones based on rampant sexuality?
10. How does Baldwin describe the Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)