|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
2. Protest novels are said to resemble:
(a) Missionaries to South America.
(b) Missionaries to America.
(c) Missionaries to Africa.
(d) Missionaries to India.
3. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
(a) The Jew.
(b) The Mulatto.
(c) The Black man.
(d) The Negro.
4. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
(a) The People's Voice.
(b) The Pittsburgh Courier.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Afro-American.
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
(b) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(c) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(d) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
2. What type of accommodations were promised to the Melodeers prior to leaving for Atlanta?
3. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
4. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
5. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the American Negro envious of the French African?
2. According to Baldwin, how does an individual become an American? And what does this mean for African Americans?
3. Describe Baldwin's Fresnes experience.
4. Why has Baldwin written extensively about the Negro press?
5. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
6. What is the purpose of the book Notes of a Native Son?
7. What is the significance of having both the lead characters in the film Carmen Jones cast by light-complected Negroes?
8. Describe the Amsterdam Star-News.
9. What is the significance of the protest novel?
10. How does Baldwin use Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)