|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To show the every day life of a slave.
(b) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
(c) To abolish slavery.
(d) To prove slavery is wrong.
2. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for categorization.
(b) Our passion for clarity.
(c) Our passion for knowledge.
(d) Our passion for change.
3. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(b) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(c) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
(d) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
4. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) Uncle Tom, Miss Ophelia, and Eliza.
(b) George, Miss Ophelia, and Uncle Tom.
(c) George, St. Clair, and Uncle Tom.
(d) George, Eliza, and Uncle Tom.
5. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
4. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
5. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
2. Describe how Baldwin's Harlem compares to his parent's Harlem.
3. Why does Baldwin think that there is nowhere on earth for the black man to call home?
4. According to Baldwin, why are the mannerisms of the character Carmen Jones based on rampant sexuality?
5. According to Baldwin, how do white Americans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
6. Why does Baldwin use the theme of racial prejudice to set the topic and tone for Notes of a Native Son?
7. Why is the American Negro envious of the French African?
8. Why does Baldwin not praise the movie Carmen Jones and its cast for breaking racial barriers?
9. What is the purpose of the book Notes of a Native Son?
10. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)