|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Lena Horne.
(b) Dorothy Dandridge.
(c) Pearl Bailey.
(d) Carmen Jones.
2. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
(a) Life in America moves at the same pace as other places in the world.
(b) Life in America moves slower.
(c) People in America are indifferent to what is going on in other parts of the world.
(d) Life in America moves faster.
3. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
4. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
(a) The campaign promises were too common.
(b) The campaign promises were too extravagant.
(c) The campaign promises were geared towards Whites.
(d) The campaign promises were geared towards African Americans.
5. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(b) Black men are inferior to white men.
(c) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
(d) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
2. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
3. Where did the Melodeers ultimately end up rehearsing for their performances in Atlanta?
4. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
5. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Baldwin living a bleak life in Paris before he befriends a man from New York?
2. According to Baldwin, what stereotypical qualities do Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom share?
3. Why did many of the Americans that chose to study in Paris after the war, return to the United States?
4. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
5. According to Baldwin, how does an individual become an American? And what does this mean for African Americans?
6. Why does Baldwin conclude that the religion of the villagers is Catholicism?
7. How did Baldwin receive word about the journey to Atlanta?
8. Why does the American Negro escape to Paris?
9. Describe the lead characters, Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte, in Carmen Jones.
10. Why does Baldwin address the phenomenon of Americans choosing to remain in Paris after World War II?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)