|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin say it means for the Negro to be religious?
(a) He stands in fear of God.
(b) He stands in fear of man.
(c) He stands in fear of creation.
(d) He stands in fear of beast.
2. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(b) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(c) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(d) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
3. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) Langston Hughes.
(b) Richard Wright.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
4. What type of accommodations were promised to the Melodeers prior to leaving for Atlanta?
(a) Four to a room.
(b) Two to a room.
(c) Dormitory style accommodations.
(d) One to a room.
5. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
(a) 14 days.
(b) 20 days.
(c) 18 days.
(d) 16 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
2. Where is Harlem located?
3. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
4. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
5. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the limitations that make it hard for Baldwin to tolerate the French prison system?
2. Describe Baldwin's tone in Everybody's Protest Novel.
3. Why do you think Baldwin distrusts his father's warnings about the weight of white people in the world?
4. What roles does religion play in the life of the Negro?
5. What is the purpose of the book Notes of a Native Son?
6. Why is the American Negro envious of the French African?
7. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
8. How does Baldwin describe the American student colony in Paris?
9. How does Baldwin describe the Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
10. According to Baldwin, what stereotypical qualities do Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom share?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)