|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(b) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(c) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(d) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
2. Where did the Melodeers ultimately end up rehearsing for their performances in Atlanta?
(b) A Negro motel.
(d) A private home.
3. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Change Literature.
(b) Problem Literature.
(c) Protest Literature.
(d) Social Literature.
4. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
2. Protest novels are said to resemble:
3. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
4. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
5. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Ebony and Our World Magazines different?
2. According to Baldwin, why is it not the fault of the Negro press that the letters-to-the-editor section is the only section where the truth about the life of the Negro can be seen in print?
3. How does Baldwin escape prosecution in Paris?
4. In the essay entitled Everybody's Protest Novel, why does Baldwin use the first person narrative perspective?
5. Describe Baldwin's Fresnes experience.
6. What is the purpose of the book Notes of a Native Son?
7. Why is the American Negro envious of the French African?
8. Describe how Baldwin's Harlem compares to his parent's Harlem.
9. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
10. How did Baldwin receive word about the journey to Atlanta?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)