|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
(a) Lifestyle sections of the Black magazines.
(b) Letters to the editor.
(c) The front pages of the Negro newspapers.
(d) Ebony magazine.
2. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(b) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
3. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) George, St. Clair, and Uncle Tom.
(b) George, Miss Ophelia, and Uncle Tom.
(c) George, Eliza, and Uncle Tom.
(d) Uncle Tom, Miss Ophelia, and Eliza.
4. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
(a) Mrs. Frank Johnson.
(b) Mrs. Dorothy Dandridge.
(c) Mrs. Branson Price.
(d) Mr. Henry Wallace.
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
2. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
3. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
4. Who was the legal guardian and road manager of the Melodeers during their journey to Atlanta?
5. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of having the evil and immoral characters played by very dark complected Negroes in the film Carmen Jones?
2. According to Baldwin, how does an individual become an American? And what does this mean for African Americans?
3. What are some of the limitations that make it hard for Baldwin to tolerate the French prison system?
4. What allows those former soldiers studying in Paris to remain abroad?
5. Why did ex-GIs question their identity while studying in Paris?
6. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his new friend that he meets in Paris in the essay Equal in Paris.
7. How does Baldwin use Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
8. Describe Baldwin's first experience with real-world hatred.
9. Why is the American Negro envious of the French African?
10. In the essay entitled Everybody's Protest Novel, why does Baldwin use the first person narrative perspective?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)