|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
(b) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
(c) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
(d) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
2. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
(a) The trip to Atlanta.
(b) An extra tour.
(c) Mr. Wades as the group's manager and guardian .
(d) Only one chaperone for the group.
3. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
4. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Light colored skin.
(b) Dark colored skin.
(c) Blue eyes.
(d) Fine hair.
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Baldwin's brothers were in the quartet?
2. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
3. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
5. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Baldwin receive word about the journey to Atlanta?
2. Why is the American Negro envious of the French African?
3. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
4. What is the significance of having both the lead characters in the film Carmen Jones cast by light-complected Negroes?
5. What did Baldwin determine is the main similarity that the American Negro and the French Negro share?
6. What is the significance of the protest novel?
7. Describe Baldwin's tone in Everybody's Protest Novel.
8. What roles does religion play in the life of the Negro?
9. What is the main difference between the American Negro and the French Negro?
10. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)