|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
(a) MGM Studios.
(b) Universal Studios.
(c) Walt Disney Studios.
(d) Twentieth Century Fox.
2. What type of accommodations were promised to the Melodeers prior to leaving for Atlanta?
(a) Two to a room.
(b) One to a room.
(c) Dormitory style accommodations.
(d) Four to a room.
3. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
4. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
5. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
(c) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
(d) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
2. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
3. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
4. Where is Harlem located?
5. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Baldwin's first experience with real-world hatred.
2. Why has Baldwin written extensively about the Negro press?
3. Why doesn't Baldwin get upset when the children in the Swiss Village call him Neger on the streets?
4. How are Ebony and Our World Magazines different?
5. Describe the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones.
6. Describe how Baldwin's Harlem compares to his parent's Harlem.
7. Why does Baldwin think that there is nowhere on earth for the black man to call home?
8. What is Henry Wallace's role in the Progressive Party?
9. According to Baldwin, what is the legend of Paris? What is the legend's connection to reality?
10. What roles does religion play in the life of the Negro?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)