|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(b) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
4. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
(a) Harry Belafonte.
(b) Lena Horne.
(c) Joe Adams.
(d) Dorothy Dandridge.
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(b) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(c) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(d) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
2. Of all Americans, who does Baldwin say Negroes distrust the most?
3. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
4. Where did the Melodeers ultimately end up rehearsing for their performances in Atlanta?
5. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
2. What is the significance of having the evil and immoral characters played by very dark complected Negroes in the film Carmen Jones?
3. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
4. What allows those former soldiers studying in Paris to remain abroad?
5. Describe Baldwin's tone in Everybody's Protest Novel.
6. Describe how Baldwin's Harlem compares to his parent's Harlem.
7. Describe the Amsterdam Star-News.
8. How did Baldwin receive word about the journey to Atlanta?
9. What are some of the limitations that make it hard for Baldwin to tolerate the French prison system?
10. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his new friend that he meets in Paris in the essay Equal in Paris.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)