|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
(a) The stereotype of Negro women being the desire of white men's lust.
(b) The stereotype of rampant sexuality.
(c) The stereotype of light skinned Negroes being smarter than dark skinned Negroes.
(d) The stereotype of subservient Negro women.
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
4. What was the name of the establishment where the Melodeers ate their meals while in Atlanta?
(a) Hunter Street Café.
(b) Fraziers' Café.
(c) Red's Diner.
(d) Fraziers' Diner.
5. What biblical story does Baldwin say allows the Blacks to identify with Jews?
(a) Jesus' crucifixion.
(b) Moses' deliverance from Egypt.
(c) God's creation of Adam.
(d) God's Covenant with Abraham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Atlanta located?
2. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
3. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
4. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
5. Who is the author of Native Son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
2. Describe the appearance and the role of Mrs. Branson Price.
3. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
4. Why does Baldwin use the theme of racial prejudice to set the topic and tone for Notes of a Native Son?
5. Why do you think Baldwin experiences a sense of melancholy after his father's death?
6. Why does Baldwin criticize Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
7. Why is the American Negro envious of the French African?
8. Why is Baldwin living a bleak life in Paris before he befriends a man from New York?
9. What did Baldwin determine is the main similarity that the American Negro and the French Negro share?
10. How did Baldwin receive word about the journey to Atlanta?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)