|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(b) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(c) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(d) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
2. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(b) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
(c) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(d) Black men are inferior to white men.
3. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
(a) The loss of Negroes to slavery.
(b) The loss of African American identity.
(c) The loss of racial identity.
(d) The loss of our own identity.
4. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
(a) He has divided the Jews and Negroes.
(b) He treats the Negro like a slave.
(c) He has divided Negro men and women.
(d) He has taught the Negro to be inferior.
5. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
Short Answer Questions
1. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
2. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
3. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
4. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
5. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Ebony and Our World Magazines different?
2. Why does the American Negro escape to Paris?
3. Why do you think Baldwin distrusts his father's warnings about the weight of white people in the world?
4. Why has Baldwin written extensively about the Negro press?
5. What are some of the limitations that make it hard for Baldwin to tolerate the French prison system?
6. What did Baldwin determine is the main similarity that the American Negro and the French Negro share?
7. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
8. Why did ex-GIs question their identity while studying in Paris?
9. Why is Baldwin living a bleak life in Paris before he befriends a man from New York?
10. What is the significance of having both the lead characters in the film Carmen Jones cast by light-complected Negroes?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)