|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Atlanta located?
(d) New York.
2. What biblical story does Baldwin say allows the Blacks to identify with Jews?
(a) God's creation of Adam.
(b) Jesus' crucifixion.
(c) God's Covenant with Abraham.
(d) Moses' deliverance from Egypt.
3. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A mass of darkness.
(b) A series of mishaps.
(c) A gloomy mist.
(d) A series of shadows.
4. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
5. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
(a) The front pages of the Negro newspapers.
(b) Letters to the editor.
(c) Lifestyle sections of the Black magazines.
(d) Ebony magazine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
2. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
3. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
4. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance and the role of Mrs. Branson Price.
2. Why were the Melodeers performing in the south?
3. Describe Baldwin's Fresnes experience.
4. According to Baldwin, what stereotypical qualities do Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom share?
5. What roles does religion play in the life of the Negro?
6. Why did many of the Americans that chose to study in Paris after the war, return to the United States?
7. How does Baldwin describe the social climate that existed when Richard Wright was writing Native Son?
8. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
9. How does Baldwin describe the Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
10. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)