|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
2. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Carmen Jones.
(b) Pearl Bailey.
(c) Dorothy Dandridge.
(d) Lena Horne.
3. What type of accommodations were promised to the Melodeers prior to leaving for Atlanta?
(a) Four to a room.
(b) Two to a room.
(c) Dormitory style accommodations.
(d) One to a room.
4. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) George S. Schuyler.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Richard Wright.
5. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
(a) The questions it leaves in the mind relate more to inferior life of Americans.
(b) The impression it leaves about the realities of Negro life.
(c) The changes it suggests about the lives of Negroes.
(d) The questions it leaves about the relationship between Whites and Negroes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What biblical story does Baldwin say allows the Blacks to identify with Jews?
2. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
3. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
5. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his father.
2. In the essay entitled Everybody's Protest Novel, why does Baldwin use the first person narrative perspective?
3. What is the purpose of the book Notes of a Native Son?
4. Who was Clarence Warde and what role did he play in the Journey to Atlanta?
5. What is the significance of having the evil and immoral characters played by very dark complected Negroes in the film Carmen Jones?
6. What did Baldwin determine is the main similarity that the American Negro and the French Negro share?
7. Describe the lead characters, Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte, in Carmen Jones.
8. How does Baldwin use Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
9. How does Baldwin describe the social climate that existed when Richard Wright was writing Native Son?
10. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)