|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(b) Dark colored skin.
(c) Brown eyes.
(d) Coarse hair.
2. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
(b) To show the every day life of a slave.
(c) To prove slavery is wrong.
(d) To abolish slavery.
3. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Problem Literature.
(b) Change Literature.
(c) Protest Literature.
(d) Social Literature.
4. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
(c) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
(d) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
5. Who was the legal guardian and road manager of the Melodeers during their journey to Atlanta?
(a) Henry Wallace.
(b) Clarence Warde.
(c) Adam Jones.
(d) Branson Price.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
2. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
3. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
4. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
5. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Melodeers do to displease Mrs. Price?
2. Why did ex-GIs question their identity while studying in Paris?
3. How does Baldwin describe the American student colony in Paris?
4. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his father.
5. Why has Baldwin written extensively about the Negro press?
6. Why does Baldwin address the phenomenon of Americans choosing to remain in Paris after World War II?
7. What is the significance of having both the lead characters in the film Carmen Jones cast by light-complected Negroes?
8. Why does Baldwin criticize Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
9. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
10. What is the significance of having the evil and immoral characters played by very dark complected Negroes in the film Carmen Jones?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)