|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
2. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
(b) To prove slavery is wrong.
(c) To abolish slavery.
(d) To show the every day life of a slave.
3. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
(a) Ebony and Jet.
(b) Ebony and Essence.
(c) Ebony and Our World.
(d) Essence and Jet.
4. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(b) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(c) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(d) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
5. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(b) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(c) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(d) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
4. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
2. What are some of the limitations that make it hard for Baldwin to tolerate the French prison system?
3. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
4. Why doesn't Baldwin get upset when the children in the Swiss Village call him Neger on the streets?
5. How does Baldwin describe the social climate that existed when Richard Wright was writing Native Son?
6. Who was Clarence Warde and what role did he play in the Journey to Atlanta?
7. What is the significance of the protest novel?
8. How does Baldwin use Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
9. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
10. Why does Baldwin not praise the movie Carmen Jones and its cast for breaking racial barriers?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)