|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
(a) The troops were integrated.
(b) African Americans were not allowed to fight.
(c) The troops were evaluated.
(d) The troops were segregated.
2. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(b) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(c) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(d) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
3. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
4. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Pamphlet.
(b) A Novel.
(c) A Short Story.
(d) A Play.
5. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
(a) James Jordan.
(b) Paul Roberson.
(c) Clarence Warde.
(d) Henry Wallace.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
2. What does Baldwin claim Jews and Negroes must use in order to be accepted in the 1940s and 1950s?
3. Protest novels are said to resemble:
4. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
5. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Baldwin experiences a sense of melancholy after his father's death?
2. Describe Baldwin's first experience with real-world hatred.
3. Describe the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones.
4. How does Baldwin describe the social climate that existed when Richard Wright was writing Native Son?
5. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
6. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
7. How does Baldwin escape prosecution in Paris?
8. Why does Baldwin criticize Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
9. Why has Baldwin written extensively about the Negro press?
10. How does Baldwin use Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)