|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
(a) The campaign promises were too extravagant.
(b) The campaign promises were too common.
(c) The campaign promises were geared towards African Americans.
(d) The campaign promises were geared towards Whites.
2. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
3. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
4. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
5. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Universal Studios.
(b) Walt Disney Studios.
(c) MGM Studios.
(d) Twentieth Century Fox.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
2. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
3. What's the name of Baldwin's brother who relayed his experience with the Melodeers in Atlanta?
4. What type of accommodations were promised to the Melodeers prior to leaving for Atlanta?
5. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
2. Why do you think Baldwin distrusts his father's warnings about the weight of white people in the world?
3. Why did ex-GIs question their identity while studying in Paris?
4. Describe the lead characters, Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte, in Carmen Jones.
5. Describe the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones.
6. What allows those former soldiers studying in Paris to remain abroad?
7. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
8. Describe how Baldwin's Harlem compares to his parent's Harlem.
9. Why is Baldwin living a bleak life in Paris before he befriends a man from New York?
10. According to Baldwin, why are the mannerisms of the character Carmen Jones based on rampant sexuality?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)