|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
(b) Civil rights era.
(c) Slavery era.
(d) Pre-civil rights era.
2. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
3. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
(a) Only one chaperone for the group.
(b) The trip to Atlanta.
(c) Mr. Wades as the group's manager and guardian .
(d) An extra tour.
4. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) They are separated by common law.
(b) They are both are oppressed.
(c) They are divided by society.
(d) They are bound together within the same society.
5. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of accommodations were promised to the Melodeers prior to leaving for Atlanta?
2. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
3. What are protest novels?
4. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
5. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Baldwin get upset when the children in the Swiss Village call him Neger on the streets?
2. According to Baldwin, what is the legend of Paris? What is the legend's connection to reality?
3. Why did seeing the hotel monogram on the sheets mean nothing to Baldwin?
4. How are Ebony and Our World Magazines different?
5. What did the Melodeers do to displease Mrs. Price?
6. Describe the lead characters, Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte, in Carmen Jones.
7. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
8. Why were the Melodeers performing in the south?
9. In the essay entitled Everybody's Protest Novel, why does Baldwin use the first person narrative perspective?
10. What allows those former soldiers studying in Paris to remain abroad?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)