|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
(a) Everyone should be as different as possible.
(b) Everyone should reconnect to American history.
(c) Everyone should connect to their cultural identity.
(d) Everyone should be as alike as possible.
2. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
3. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Play.
(b) A Pamphlet.
(c) A Novel.
(d) A Short Story.
4. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
(b) a Negro motel.
(c) The homes of Progressive Party members.
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(b) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(c) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(d) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
2. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
4. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
5. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Baldwin receive word about the journey to Atlanta?
2. In the essay entitled Everybody's Protest Novel, why does Baldwin use the first person narrative perspective?
3. According to Baldwin, what is the legend of Paris? What is the legend's connection to reality?
4. How does Baldwin describe the Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
5. Why does Baldwin not praise the movie Carmen Jones and its cast for breaking racial barriers?
6. Describe the appearance and the role of Mrs. Branson Price.
7. Why did ex-GIs question their identity while studying in Paris?
8. Why did seeing the hotel monogram on the sheets mean nothing to Baldwin?
9. Describe how Baldwin's Harlem compares to his parent's Harlem.
10. Who was Clarence Warde and what role did he play in the Journey to Atlanta?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)