|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
(a) The campaign promises were geared towards African Americans.
(b) The campaign promises were too extravagant.
(c) The campaign promises were geared towards Whites.
(d) The campaign promises were too common.
2. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
3. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Universal Studios.
(b) Walt Disney Studios.
(c) MGM Studios.
(d) Twentieth Century Fox.
4. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
(a) Clarence Warde.
(b) Henry Wallace.
(c) James Jordan.
(d) Paul Roberson.
5. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
(a) The Afro-American.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Pittsburgh Courier.
(d) The People's Voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
2. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
3. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
4. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the American Negro escape to Paris?
2. According to Baldwin, how do white Americans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
3. What is the significance of having the evil and immoral characters played by very dark complected Negroes in the film Carmen Jones?
4. What roles does religion play in the life of the Negro?
5. Why is Baldwin living a bleak life in Paris before he befriends a man from New York?
6. Why were the Melodeers performing in the south?
7. Why do you think Baldwin distrusts his father's warnings about the weight of white people in the world?
8. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
9. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
10. What is Henry Wallace's role in the Progressive Party?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)