|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
2. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
(a) The troops were evaluated.
(b) African Americans were not allowed to fight.
(c) The troops were segregated.
(d) The troops were integrated.
3. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(b) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(c) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
(d) Black men are inferior to white men.
4. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sidney Poitier.
(b) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(c) Joe Adams.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
5. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Pearl Bailey.
(b) Carmen Jones.
(c) Dorothy Dandridge.
(d) Lena Horne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
2. Who is the author of Native Son?
3. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
4. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
5. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the protest novel?
2. What allows those former soldiers studying in Paris to remain abroad?
3. How does Baldwin escape prosecution in Paris?
4. How does Baldwin use Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
5. Why do you think Baldwin experiences a sense of melancholy after his father's death?
6. Why does Baldwin address the phenomenon of Americans choosing to remain in Paris after World War II?
7. Describe the lead characters, Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte, in Carmen Jones.
8. Why did seeing the hotel monogram on the sheets mean nothing to Baldwin?
9. Why does Baldwin use the theme of racial prejudice to set the topic and tone for Notes of a Native Son?
10. Describe Baldwin's Fresnes experience.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)