|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin claim Jews and Negroes must use in order to be accepted in the 1940s and 1950s?
(a) American History.
(b) Knowledge of American society.
(c) Every weapon possible.
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. Who was the legal guardian and road manager of the Melodeers during their journey to Atlanta?
(a) Adam Jones.
(b) Branson Price.
(c) Clarence Warde.
(d) Henry Wallace.
4. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sidney Poitier.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
5. What biblical story does Baldwin say allows the Blacks to identify with Jews?
(a) God's Covenant with Abraham.
(b) Jesus' crucifixion.
(c) Moses' deliverance from Egypt.
(d) God's creation of Adam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had the money to pay for the Melodeers' accommodations in Atlanta?
2. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
3. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
4. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
5. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the essay entitled Everybody's Protest Novel, why does Baldwin use the first person narrative perspective?
2. What is the significance of the protest novel?
3. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his father.
4. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
5. According to Baldwin, how does an individual become an American? And what does this mean for African Americans?
6. Why does Baldwin not praise the movie Carmen Jones and its cast for breaking racial barriers?
7. Why were the Melodeers performing in the south?
8. What roles does religion play in the life of the Negro?
9. Why do you think Baldwin experiences a sense of melancholy after his father's death?
10. Describe the appearance and the role of Mrs. Branson Price.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)