Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Baldwin's brothers were in the quartet?
2. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
(a) Ebony and Our World.
(b) Ebony and Essence.
(c) Ebony and Jet.
(d) Essence and Jet.
3. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Joe Adams.
(b) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(c) Sidney Poitier.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
4. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
(a) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
(b) At the point where the individual rejects all other ties and history to other nations and receives their U.S. citizenship from the government.
(c) At the point where the individual reaches Ellis Island in New York.
(d) At the point that the person enters the country and adopts the venture of the adopted land.
5. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
(a) It had an all-white cast.
(b) It had an interracial cast.
(c) It had an all-Negro cast.
(d) It had an all-African cast.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
2. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
3. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
4. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
5. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
2. Why do you think Baldwin experiences a sense of melancholy after his father's death?
3. Why does the American Negro escape to Paris?
4. How does Baldwin describe the social climate that existed when Richard Wright was writing Native Son?
5. What is the main difference between the American Negro and the French Negro?
6. Why is the American Negro envious of the French African?
7. Why did many of the Americans that chose to study in Paris after the war, return to the United States?
8. Describe the Amsterdam Star-News.
9. What is the purpose of the book Notes of a Native Son?
10. Why don't the individuals in the Swiss village identify black people as negative?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)