|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A mass of darkness.
(b) A series of mishaps.
(c) A series of shadows.
(d) A gloomy mist.
2. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) George S. Schuyler.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Richard Wright.
3. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
4. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
(b) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
(c) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(d) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
5. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Dark colored skin.
(c) Coarse hair.
(d) Brown eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
2. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
5. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
2. Describe Baldwin's first experience with real-world hatred.
3. Why did ex-GIs question their identity while studying in Paris?
4. Why does Baldwin use the theme of racial prejudice to set the topic and tone for Notes of a Native Son?
5. Why do you think Baldwin distrusts his father's warnings about the weight of white people in the world?
6. According to Baldwin, why is it not the fault of the Negro press that the letters-to-the-editor section is the only section where the truth about the life of the Negro can be seen in print?
7. According to Baldwin, how does an individual become an American? And what does this mean for African Americans?
8. Describe the Amsterdam Star-News.
9. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
10. Describe the appearance and the role of Mrs. Branson Price.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)