|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(b) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
(c) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(d) Black men are inferior to white men.
2. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
3. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
(a) Slavery era.
(c) Civil rights era.
(d) Pre-civil rights era.
4. Where is Harlem located?
(b) New York.
(c) New Jersey.
5. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(d) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
2. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
3. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
4. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
5. What are protest novels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the lead characters, Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte, in Carmen Jones.
2. Who was Clarence Warde and what role did he play in the Journey to Atlanta?
3. How does Baldwin escape prosecution in Paris?
4. How are Ebony and Our World Magazines different?
5. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his father.
6. What are some of the limitations that make it hard for Baldwin to tolerate the French prison system?
7. Why has Baldwin written extensively about the Negro press?
8. What is the main difference between the American Negro and the French Negro?
9. Why do you think Baldwin distrusts his father's warnings about the weight of white people in the world?
10. Why did seeing the hotel monogram on the sheets mean nothing to Baldwin?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)