|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
2. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Pamphlet.
(b) A Novel.
(c) A Short Story.
(d) A Play.
3. Where is Harlem located?
(c) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(b) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(c) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(d) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
5. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(b) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(c) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(d) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
2. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
3. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
4. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
5. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)