|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
(a) African Americans were not allowed to fight.
(b) The troops were integrated.
(c) The troops were segregated.
(d) The troops were evaluated.
2. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
(b) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
(c) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
(d) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
3. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
(d) Drama .
5. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Lena Horne.
(b) Dorothy Dandridge.
(c) Pearl Bailey.
(d) Carmen Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
2. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
3. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
5. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)