|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
(a) The Mulatto.
(b) The Negro.
(c) The Jew.
(d) The Black man.
2. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
(b) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
(c) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
(d) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(a) Remote Violence.
(b) Negative images in the media.
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(b) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(c) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(d) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
5. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
2. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
3. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
4. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
5. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)