|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin claim Jews and Negroes must use in order to be accepted in the 1940s and 1950s?
(b) Knowledge of American society.
(c) American History.
(d) Every weapon possible.
2. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
(a) Everyone should reconnect to American history.
(b) Everyone should be as different as possible.
(c) Everyone should connect to their cultural identity.
(d) Everyone should be as alike as possible.
3. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Brown eyes.
(b) Coarse hair.
(c) Dark colored skin.
4. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
5. What does Baldwin say it means for the Negro to be religious?
(a) He stands in fear of creation.
(b) He stands in fear of beast.
(c) He stands in fear of God.
(d) He stands in fear of man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
2. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
3. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
4. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
5. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)