|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
(a) Dorothy Dandridge.
(b) Lena Horne.
(c) Joe Adams.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
2. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
3. What biblical story does Baldwin say allows the Blacks to identify with Jews?
(a) God's Covenant with Abraham.
(b) God's creation of Adam.
(c) Jesus' crucifixion.
(d) Moses' deliverance from Egypt.
4. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A gloomy mist.
(b) A mass of darkness.
(c) A series of mishaps.
(d) A series of shadows.
5. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(a) Remote Violence.
(b) Negative images in the media.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
2. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
3. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
4. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
5. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)