|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
(a) Somewhat in the Jewish occupied areas.
(b) Not much.
(c) Not at all.
(d) A great deal.
2. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
(c) Grocery Stores.
3. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(b) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(c) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(d) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
4. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) James Baldwin.
(c) Richard Wright.
(d) Langston Hughes.
5. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) Black men are inferior to white men.
(b) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(c) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(d) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
2. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
3. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
4. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
5. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)