|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
2. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(b) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(c) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(d) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
3. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) Richard Wright.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Langston Hughes.
4. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(b) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
(c) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
(d) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
5. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
(a) First person narrative.
(b) First person limited narrative.
(c) Second person narrative.
(d) Third person narrative.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
2. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
3. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
4. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
5. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)