|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) They are divided by society.
(b) They are bound together within the same society.
(c) They are both are oppressed.
(d) They are separated by common law.
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
(a) Racial prejudice.
4. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
5. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Joe Adams.
(b) Sidney Poitier.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Sammy Davis, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin say it means for the Negro to be religious?
2. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
3. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
4. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
5. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)