|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
(a) The Negro.
(b) The Jew.
(c) The Black man.
(d) The Mulatto.
2. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) Richard Wright.
(b) Langston Hughes.
(c) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(d) James Baldwin.
3. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
(a) The loss of African American identity.
(b) The loss of our own identity.
(c) The loss of Negroes to slavery.
(d) The loss of racial identity.
4. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
(a) Everyone should be as alike as possible.
(b) Everyone should connect to their cultural identity.
(c) Everyone should reconnect to American history.
(d) Everyone should be as different as possible.
5. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
(b) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
(c) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
(d) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
2. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
4. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
5. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)