|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
(a) Everyone should be as alike as possible.
(b) Everyone should connect to their cultural identity.
(c) Everyone should be as different as possible.
(d) Everyone should reconnect to American history.
2. What does Baldwin claim Jews and Negroes must use in order to be accepted in the 1940s and 1950s?
(a) Every weapon possible.
(c) Knowledge of American society.
(d) American History.
3. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
4. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The Negro is a man without a homeland.
(b) Blacks need to make themselves less offensive.
(c) Black is a terrible color with which to be born into the world.
(d) Black men are inferior to white men.
5. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
Short Answer Questions
1. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
2. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
3. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
5. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)