|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for change.
(b) Our passion for clarity.
(c) Our passion for categorization.
(d) Our passion for knowledge.
2. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
(a) Ebony and Jet.
(b) Ebony and Our World.
(c) Essence and Jet.
(d) Ebony and Essence.
3. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
(a) Protest Literature.
(b) Problem Literature.
(c) Change Literature.
(d) Social Literature.
4. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
(b) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
(c) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
(d) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
2. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
3. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
4. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
5. What is the theme of Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)