|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(c) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
2. Protest novels are said to resemble:
(a) Missionaries to Africa.
(b) Missionaries to India.
(c) Missionaries to South America.
(d) Missionaries to America.
3. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
(a) The loss of racial identity.
(b) The loss of Negroes to slavery.
(c) The loss of African American identity.
(d) The loss of our own identity.
4. Where is Harlem located?
(b) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
5. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Sidney Poitier.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
2. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
3. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
5. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)