|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, if black faces cannot be made white then what other way can they be changed in order to be less offensive to white society?
2. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
(a) People in America are indifferent to what is going on in other parts of the world.
(b) Life in America moves faster.
(c) Life in America moves slower.
(d) Life in America moves at the same pace as other places in the world.
3. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Novel.
(b) A Play.
(c) A Short Story.
(d) A Pamphlet.
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
(a) Problem Literature.
(b) Social Literature.
(c) Change Literature.
(d) Protest Literature.
5. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
Short Answer Questions
1. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
2. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
3. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
4. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
5. What are protest novels?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)