|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) George, Miss Ophelia, and Uncle Tom.
(b) Uncle Tom, Miss Ophelia, and Eliza.
(c) George, St. Clair, and Uncle Tom.
(d) George, Eliza, and Uncle Tom.
2. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
(a) The People's Voice.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Afro-American.
(d) The Pittsburgh Courier.
3. Where is Harlem located?
(a) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
4. Why is the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set necessary for white audiences?
(a) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with seeing Negroes in familiar situations.
(b) The cleanliness makes white audiences want to watch more Negro movies.
(c) The cleanliness makes white audiences view the black actors as equals.
(d) The cleanliness makes white audiences more comfortable with the role of the lead male Negro.
5. What does Baldwin say it means for the Negro to be religious?
(a) He stands in fear of God.
(b) He stands in fear of creation.
(c) He stands in fear of beast.
(d) He stands in fear of man.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
2. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
3. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
4. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
5. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)