|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
(a) A great deal.
(b) Somewhat in the Jewish occupied areas.
(c) Not much.
(d) Not at all.
2. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
(b) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(c) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(d) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
3. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
4. What does Baldwin claim Jews and Negroes must use in order to be accepted in the 1940s and 1950s?
(a) Knowledge of American society.
(b) American History.
(d) Every weapon possible.
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
2. What does Baldwin suggest the presupposition of the two novels Kingsblood Royal and If He Hollers Let Him Go are in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
3. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
4. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
5. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)