|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(b) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(c) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(d) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
2. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
(a) The book dehumanizes Negro women and makes the Negro man superior to the Negro woman.
(b) The book negates the role of the black woman in society.
(c) The book negates the whole race and converts the Negro man's pride into anger.
(d) The book describes the life of a Negro man as if he was a White man.
3. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
(a) George, Eliza, and Uncle Tom.
(b) George, St. Clair, and Uncle Tom.
(c) George, Miss Ophelia, and Uncle Tom.
(d) Uncle Tom, Miss Ophelia, and Eliza.
4. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
(b) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
(c) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
(d) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
5. According to Baldwin, how does the book Native Son obliterate the good will of the people as a whole?
(a) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that white men only like subservient black men and women.
(b) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that stereotypical images share laudatory and heinous qualities with the best possible traits coming to the surface for white consumption.
(c) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story that Negroes are always angry at white men.
(d) The good will of the people is obliterated by the story of hatred and the idea that Negroes can only become validated if they become more like white men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
2. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
3. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
4. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
5. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)