|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(b) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(c) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(d) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
2. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(b) Little Women.
(c) Native Son.
(d) Black Boy.
3. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
4. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
(a) Not much.
(b) Not at all.
(c) Somewhat in the Jewish occupied areas.
(d) A great deal.
5. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Joe Adams.
(d) Sidney Poitier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
2. Why does Baldwin criticize the book Native Son?
3. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
4. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
5. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)