|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Harlem Ghetto.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
(a) Second person narrative.
(b) First person narrative.
(c) First person limited narrative.
(d) Third person narrative.
2. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
3. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
4. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
(a) He has divided Negro men and women.
(b) He has divided the Jews and Negroes.
(c) He treats the Negro like a slave.
(d) He has taught the Negro to be inferior.
5. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(d) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
2. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
3. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
4. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
5. What are protest novels?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)